03a: Northward bound.   Posted by GM2.Group: 0
GM2
 GM, 111 posts
Sun 12 Jul 2009
at 20:03
Re: Alarums in the night
Beren and Brakkus come down the stairs too and soon have the two injured comrades wrapped up in blankets alongside the fireplace.


Adonis smashes up the doors and an old chair he found in the innkeeper's room.

Brakkus bars the front door again, then stands and touches the stonework beside the fireplace, just by the curtain which apparently leads through to the kitchen.  He nods to Adonis "I cannot sense any danger through there but my senses are far from infallible - perhaps we should look around the kitchen while Beren tends to the injured?"
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 114 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Sun 12 Jul 2009
at 20:11
Re: Alarums in the night

 The knight nods once as he pulls on a pauldron, locking it carefully in place and rolling his shoulder joint a few times in order to assure himself that the fit is good, momentarily regretting the lack of a good, trained squire to see to these things, "I agree - we'll search the Inn proper whilst the good magus watches our fallen, then depending upon what we find we may see if the fairy and his friend have encountered." he states, taking up the next plate and hastily completing his preparations.
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 101 posts
 Sorcerer
Mon 13 Jul 2009
at 00:06
Re: Alarums in the night
Wary of expending the last remnants of his magic, Beren tried to tend to the wounded using only natural healing, binding wounds and checking for internal bleeding, pulse, broken ribs, irrelgular breathing, signs of nausea and concussion...

[OOC: I'm going on the assumption that Beren is a learned person, and so described in some details, though if you deem that he shouldn't know such things, feel free to delete everything after 'natural healing'

02:02, Today: Beren Sigilchyr rolled 10 using 2d10. Healing. ]

GM2
 GM, 113 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2009
at 09:47
Re: Alarums in the night


Beren manages to find the wounds and stop all bleeding on both Bjorn and Arkenos.  Bjorn seems to have been merely knocked unconscious, he is murmuring and should eventually come round.   Whereas Arkenos has lost a lot of blood.  Until you can find some water, you will not be able to clean the wounds.

Once Adonis has put his armour on as best he can without help, he and Brakkus gingerly edge aside the curtain leading to the kitchen and advance through the doorway, weapons at the ready.

[ooc: Adonis, Brakkus please give me a 2d10 roll against Perception each of you]
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 115 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Mon 13 Jul 2009
at 10:00
Re: Alarums in the night

 10:55, Today: Sir Adonis Campbell rolled 8 using 2d10.

 ---

 Gingerly.

 That's funny... ill-informed, but funny.

 Rather Adonis stands tall, bounding once or twice on the spot at some slight risk to the ceiling as he makes sure that his plate armour is settled about his person properly, stretches a few times to be on the safe side - and then takes up shield and sword once more and quite unceremoniously says "Right then!" and storms towards the kitchen door like a small, contained, steel-plated natural disaster looking for a place to happen.

 After a 'one, two, three' for Brakkus' benefit, he more or less thrusts the curtain back with a steel-plated shoulder put behind his shield and advances into the room with his sword high.

 Hey... it'll have surprise value, right?

This message was last edited by the player at 18:10, Mon 13 July 2009.

GM2
 GM, 116 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2009
at 17:38
Re: Alarums in the night


Adonis charges through the curtain with Brakkus following rather more sedately behind.

The first thing that hits you is the smell.  There is rotting food everywhere, in various stages of antiquity.  Some of it appears to have once been fresh vegetables, while the pots contain things that even Adonis has not the stomach to investigate closely.  It seems the kitchen has not been tended in a while.

As your eyes get accustomed to the moonlight seeping through the boarded-up windows, you can see that the soup tureen you ate from earlier sits on a primitive iron tripod, above an extinct brazier.  It seems to be the only food that is not completely off.  Scattered around are various rusty old knives covered in stains.  In the dark you are not able to ascertain whether this is gore or just food.

You cannot see anyone in the kitchen and there is nowhere they could really hide.  You do notice a small, solid-looking wooden door in the far corner of the kitchen, which would appear to lead outside.  It is so low that Adonis would have no hope of fitting through and Brakkus only with great difficulty.
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 102 posts
 Sorcerer
Mon 13 Jul 2009
at 21:56
Re: Alarums in the night
Beren, left alone with the wounded, pondered the wisdom of leaving the two men alone, even for a moment. But he needed to clean Arkenos' wounds. So he set off to find a clean container to boil some water. He would also look for vinegar, or any plant that usually applied to wounds - like rhubarb, almond, camomil, pepper...

[OOC: I found a very interesting site on medieval wound treatment, though it's in French, if you can read it: http://anthropologie-et-paleop...cale%20médiévale.htm ]

This message was last edited by the player at 12:21, Wed 15 July 2009.

GM2
 GM, 123 posts
Wed 15 Jul 2009
at 16:19
Re: Alarums in the night
Brakkus carefully clears away some of the gubbins with the tip of his staff and uncovers a couple of small wooden tables which you could break up for firewood.

Then he looks at the small door. "I can't sense any danger there but you can never be sure.  My suggestion, good night, would be that we jam it shut with something and wait until the morning when the sun is up and we are all better rested."

[ooc: thanks for that link - this episode had set me to wondering about just what they did and didn't know in those days - will definitely read through it]
Brakkus the Hermit
 player, 88 posts
 Wild-eyed Mystic
Wed 15 Jul 2009
at 17:45
Re: Alarums in the night
With that Brakkus casts around for something solid to jam shut the door, perhaps a heavy item of furnitude or failing that a sturdy plank to ram under the handle.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 117 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Wed 15 Jul 2009
at 18:01
Re: Alarums in the night

 "Faaaugh, it smells like a serf died in here." complains the tall, blonde and improbably handsome (but, let us not forget, rather dim) knight, stepping back and nodding in concurrence with the suggestion from his companion, "Aye - though I'm concerned for the fairy and his friend. Fools they might have been, but they're our fools." he confides, while 'requisitioning' the most convenient piece of heavy furniture as a barrier to seal up the small door and retreating back to the other room.

 "We'll stand watches I think - I had some sleep so will remain awake for a few hours, then I'll stir one of you two - they'll stand for a few hours, then wake the third of us... Whoever's up had best move around and keep the fire going mind you."
GM2
 GM, 125 posts
Wed 15 Jul 2009
at 21:12
Re: Alarums in the night
With the various bits of wood you have (literally) knocked off, you manage to get the fire to a cosy glow.  Adonis takes first watch and the others realise how tired they are as soon as they lie down by the fire.

[ooc: please give me a 2d10 roll each].
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 103 posts
 Sorcerer
Wed 15 Jul 2009
at 22:26
Re: Alarums in the night
[OOC:00:25, Today: Beren Sigilchyr rolled 5 using 2d10.]
GM2
 GM, 135 posts
Sun 19 Jul 2009
at 14:02
Re: Alarums in the night
Adonis paces around the main room to keep himself awake, occasionally pausing to listen carefully for anything out of the ordinary, or have a look up the chimney.  The others are asleep in moments.

Outside the wind has got up again and after about half an hour it is joined by the pitter-patter of rain which within minutes rises to a constant drumming.

Although the inn has no windows to speak of, only barred openings closed by shutters, Adonis can feel that the dawn is not far away when he shakes Beren awake and hands over the watch.

[ooc: playing for time slightly - basically waiting for Eldor/Brejgun's thread - which itself is slightly waiting on new player - but if nothing moves by tonight I will do a "Deus ex Machina"]
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 104 posts
 Sorcerer
Mon 20 Jul 2009
at 19:54
Re: Alarums in the night
Beren grumbled as he woke up. Why did I chose a life of adventure? Oh yes, glory, riches, power, and early calls...

Still wiping sleep from his eyes, he checked on Arkenos and Bjorn. He also checked his sword - today, he would need to save his mystical energies...
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 120 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Tue 21 Jul 2009
at 01:18
Re: Alarums in the night

 There's nothing like being in front of a good fire on a rainy night, and Adonis (quick to forget the excitement of the evening, or at least to put it aside and not let it trouble him) soon enough feels the onset of dawn around the corner, stooping when he does to clap a hand over Beren's mouth and gently wake him (which is just how he was taught to do it when in a dangerous situation) before stripping off his armour (though not his arming jacket and padded undergarments) and settling into his own blankets to rest, almost immediately dropping off into the sleep of the honest and just.
GM2
 GM, 151 posts
Thu 23 Jul 2009
at 10:23
Re: Alarums in the night
Some ten minutes after Adonis has finally dropped off to sleep, you are all awoken by a loud clang of metal on metal which appears to be coming from outside, not far off.
Brakkus the Hermit
 player, 91 posts
 Wild-eyed Mystic
Thu 23 Jul 2009
at 11:08
Re: Alarums in the night
Brakkus gets out of bed carefully, testing his weight on his injured ankle. Satisfied, he strides over to the nearest window, draws back the curtain  slightly, and peers outside.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 122 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Thu 23 Jul 2009
at 11:53
Re: Alarums in the night


 It takes a few moments for the clanging and banging to percolate through Adonis' mind, but where he might not have been roused had he been fully asleep, he's still close enough to the land of the wakeful to jerk upright and reach for sword and shield, bellowing something about 'thousands of 'em' and then groggily rising to his feet, blinking furiously, "What the blazes is about, can't a man sleep!?"
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 107 posts
 Sorcerer
Thu 23 Jul 2009
at 19:06
Re: Alarums in the night
Beren unsheathed his sword. "I heard Brejgun's shout! They must be in danger!" Despite this, Beren is not keen to face danger on the front - not with his mystical force all but spent, so it comes as no surprise that he is bravely waiting for the more martially inclined in the room to charge into the fray.
GM2
 GM, 154 posts
Fri 24 Jul 2009
at 18:40
Re: Alarums in the night


All three of you assemble at the inn door, weapons at the ready.  You look through the spying panel and the sky is beginning to lighten.  You hear another clanging, it appears to be coming from the left (where the outbuildings are).  Without opening the door you can't see properly round the corner of the house.
Brakkus the Hermit
 player, 92 posts
 Wild-eyed Mystic
Sun 26 Jul 2009
at 14:32
Re: Alarums in the night
Brakkus quickly retrieves his bow and nocks an arrow, ready to provide cover from the doorway.
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 108 posts
 Sorcerer
Sun 26 Jul 2009
at 20:38
Re: Alarums in the night
Beren was especially cautious - not to say fearful - about being the first to go out. He therefore mustered his courage and waited behind the armored members, well, the remaining armored member of the party.
GM2
 GM, 164 posts
Wed 29 Jul 2009
at 11:13
Re: Alarums in the night
[ooc: imagining what Adonis would do since he didn't post...]

Once you are all together at the door, Adonis draws back the bar as quietly as possible and leads the way out of the inn.  The sky is definitely beginning to lighten and you can see no sign of movement or anything out of the ordinary.  You move forward with Beren sheltering behind Brakkus and Adonis.

You have only gone a few paces when you hear familiar voices to the left.  Moments later Brejgun appears, half-leaning on a tallish man who is nearly naked and looking the worse for wear.  Brejgun himself is staggering and pale in the face.

A few paces behind comes Eldor, bow drawn and scanning the air anxiously.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 123 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Wed 29 Jul 2009
at 11:32
Re: Alarums in the night

 [Sorry about that, you should have said - I was waiting 'till we'd explicitly finished the pm chat rather than driving things on. ^_^ ]


 That's actually a pretty good summation of things - were it not that this time, because it involves actually leaving the confines of the Inn and because it sounds like a rescue effort on the behalf of those who were foolish enough to stagger off into the dark without making any effort to coordinate with their comrades, Adonis actually takes the time to slip into his armour once again, or at least his breastplate and gauntlets, doing so with perhaps a touch of ill grace that's soon forgotten as he stands in partial armour and starts towards the door - which by that point has probably been opened and used by at least one other person.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:16, Wed 29 July 2009.

GM2
 GM, 166 posts
Wed 29 Jul 2009
at 16:47
Re: Alarums in the night
[ooc: please continue posting here: link to a message in this game]