07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road.   Posted by GM2.Group: 0
GM2
 GM, 566 posts
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 23:24
07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Over the hour following the battle all of the companions make their way into the inn as Hadrik's men pick make sure of the dead and post a guard upon the roof.

Eldor returns with both his men in good shape - though he himself is rather pale from several nasty cuts, and almost out of arrows.

Thomas brings back his horse, Belryk and co, and looks like he, too has been in a fight.

Karl and Brejgun are tired and windburned but none the worse for wear otherwise.

Adonis and Brakkus have sustained some minor scuffing but nothing serious.

Of the four sturdy Athelstanes conceded by Thane Snurkel, one is unconscious from loss of blood but seems to have no fever and the bandages applied by Beren have stopped the bleeding.  Two others are wounded but not sorely.  And Bjorn has nary a scratch on him.

...and... Harou is standing there grinning slightly, somewhat thinner than before his fever, but otherwise clear-eyed and healthy-looking.

Hadrik has the girl serve broth and insists that you immediately set to catching up on sleep in shifts.  In fact the night passes uneventfully and in the morning you all join in building a pyre to incinerate the corpses left behind by the wolf pack.

"Let 'em see the smoke - aye and smell it too! bellows Hadrik.  We are a dozen-and-a half fighting folk now, and that is enough o' this pilly-paddlin'.   I hae sent out Creldo wi' Belryk on the horses tae carry word to the Jarl, but we need no' wait fer them!

A' the trouble seems tae be comin' fae the north, Ettryck way.  Now each one of you - tell me yer news.   Unless I hear owt surprising, tomorrow we march up that road and ask the folk there some questions".


He looks around expectantly.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 241 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 23:34
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road

 Sir Adonis Campbell spends a few minutes cleaning and sheathing his dagger (which of course is so named for the best targets on an armoured knight, as well as the general shape of the handle), recovering his sword and shield and generally cleaning up, though he's favouring his shield-arm heavily and the multiple injuries he's already suffered are obviously starting to slow down even the seemingly unstoppable Knight, thus disproving the working hypothesis of 'no sense, no feeling'.

 In fact, once his armour is removed and the extent of his injuries become apparent there might well be some rethinking about his just riding on out on the part of those who do have more sense than courage.

 ---

 Four hit points left. Ouch. ^_^
Harou Urho
 player, 100 posts
 Barbarian
 from the Gnawing Wastes
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 23:41
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
"Alas, I remember nothing," says Harou, "But I am glad I was able to at least kill one of the toothy mutts, and I'm eternally grateful to those that cared for me in my ill health."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:47, Wed 03 Mar 2010.

Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 194 posts
 Sorcerer
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 23:51
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Beren woke up, wiping some thick sleep from his eyes. "This journey is going to kill me," he said.

He then proceeded to dispense some quick healing to those who had taken the worst wounds - Adonis first.

[OOC: I'm going to use 2 lesser healings on Adonis. I'd rather spare my remaining magic and spend it just before next midnight, but if the Athelstane give me strange looks, I'll apply one to the soldier. Any other wounded PC comes first though.]

This message was last edited by the player at 07:27, Thu 04 Mar 2010.

Thomas Keith
 player, 77 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 05:15
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Thomas says to Hadrick, "We took the crofter South as asked. We encountered some horrible beast which got bigger with each strike. It was slain and the crofter delivered."

That ends Thomas's report of the patrol to the south. He finds a seat to consider where the innkeep would have hidden his gear. It would require someplace fairly sizable since it was armour and his weapons and pack. It was not within the inn, of that he was pretty sure.

After thinking for a few more moments. He rises and announces, "I need to try and find my armour and arms." With that, he sets out to explore the area directly around the inn, other buildings and even the grounds close by. He may have stashed the stuff someplace close in a hole or some such.
Brejgun Kregnason
 player, 178 posts
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 07:22
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
As he limps into the Inn, another scratch from the wolf-fight richer, Brejgun greets familiar and unfamiliar face alike.

He listens to the reports of the others and notes the words of the Thane.
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 201 posts
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 08:01
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Eldor, freshly bandaged and fed stands" We followed an old woodsman's path as we patrolled and came upon a group of woodcutters. They were rather angry at the situation here about and they had not many kind words for you my lord. They blamed you and your men for not protecting common folk."

The elf took a sip of his water, " we questioned them a bit but finding them of no real danger to us let them about their business we intended to camp at the woodcutters hut for the night then continue on."

"Minutes after the woodcutters left there was a commotion in the direction they went. Upon investigating the noise we found the woodcutters set upon by goblins. We fought them off but not without loss. One of your men suggested that the woodcutters might belong to a village in the area that may have gone into hiding in the woods. I understand that is the practice here about in times of trouble."

"The woodcutters, those that were left continued on their way. We intended to follow them at a distance but due in some part to my injuries I lost the trail and felt it important that we come back and report the goblin movement."

He looked round those gathered " I'm glad we made the right decision and were able to help fend off the wolf pack that attacked the inn."

He then made eye contact with the two men how had accompanied him "My Lord may I also add that my two companions conducted themselves in a way that would have made you proud. Not only did they take orders well but also thought for themselves in a tight situation. They have the beginnings of being two very good scouts and ask that if I were to go on another mission like this that you allow me to take them with me."
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 242 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 11:51
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road

 He might not have any great use for the uncanny, but the way Beren's muttered incantations close over the wicked little half-healed stab in his side and ease the ache of his viciously wrenched arm bring Campbell's other hand up and around in a firm and approving smach against the sorcerors shoulder, which is duly coupled with a "Well done sir!" that rings out in a way that's far too hearty for the hour before turning to address the others, not even seeming to mind that the fairy-fellow spoke before him (the knight is his equal after all) since he was busy. Generous of him, what?

 "Nothing so exciting for us I'm afraid - we headed off along the road, ran into a pack of bandits. Well, the message seemed more important than a scuffle just then so we picked off one as a prisoner and evaded the others, during which I think the good master scholar and his friend there." - he gestures vaguely towards Brakkus - "Found themselves a tomb with ancient magic on it we can take a look at later."

 "Meanwhilst we headed on, carrying our prisoner and delivered him to Thane... Thane..." - he looks to Creldo for a helping hand, and then assuming one is given goes on - "Then we headed straight up here. There was some movement in the woods we didn't investigate, and one of the little thorpes on the road was abandoned - and had seen recent soldiery, but we had no encounters until we got here, and well - I think you know the rest."
Brakkus the Hermit
 player, 169 posts
 Wild-eyed Mystic
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 12:00
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Brakkus thanks Harou for his aid and then sits down gratefully. He closes his eyes and lets the conversation roll over him, as his third eyes settles down into his body. Brakkus moves his consciousness to his bruised arm, encouraging his body to repait itself and many times its natural rate. His arm feels much better, but the effort has exhausted him and the old hermit falls asleep on the chair, snoring gently.
GM2
 GM, 577 posts
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 19:09
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Creldo interjects during Adonis' speech "Thane Snurkel, my lord.  He sent us these four sturdy fellows, on one condition which perhaps Sir Campbell might explain further".


As for Eldor's recountings, Hadrik appears greatly troubled by them, almost sad, but does not comment, merely coughs.

When everyone has spoken he says... "as for us... we found something awful strange out their on the high moors.... Borensson, hae ye still got that sack?"
Karl Borensson
 player, 111 posts
 Warlock
 from Bryndle
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 19:54
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
"Here, my thane."

Karl brings the sack gingerly to Hadrik.

"I'm hoping that this thing's not going to be moving about any more. It seems like there's no activity going on in the sack."
Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 195 posts
 Sorcerer
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 20:12
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Beren, curious about the contents of the sack, leaned over as much as politeness allowed to get a glimpse of what lied inside.
GM2
 GM, 581 posts
Fri 5 Mar 2010
at 21:45
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
The sack falls open and you see a pale, battered head - which suddenly opens its eyes! Groggily they flick from face to face. 

Hadrik explains that they captured the thing out on the moor, even there it seemed to be in poor shape.  "can it talk, think yous?"
Harou Urho
 player, 102 posts
 Barbarian
 from the Gnawing Wastes
Sat 6 Mar 2010
at 05:59
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Harou takes a step back.  "It's bad luck to bring such an unnatural thing into a dwelling."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Sat 06 Mar 2010.

Beren Sigilchyr
 player, 197 posts
 Sorcerer
Sat 6 Mar 2010
at 10:58
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
Beren scratched his head. "I might have read a few things about those, but the details elude me at the moment... Does it ring a few bells to you, Brakkus?"

]
Karl Borensson
 player, 112 posts
 Warlock
 from Bryndle
Sat 6 Mar 2010
at 11:02
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road
"I think it can talk. How will we make it's tongue wag looser?" asks Karl
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 243 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Sat 6 Mar 2010
at 11:46
Re: 07a: a Grim Dawn and a Hard Road

 "Mmm? Oh yes! - Thane Snurkel expects the same aid from you in tracking down the miscreants we encountered on the road, tit for tat so to speak - it seemed a fair enough agreement all around I do hope you don't mind." states Sir Campbell cheerfully, apparently having needed the nudge in order to remember little details like what he was doing yesterday - he seems perfectly happy with the world however, right up until the sack is opened, the head is rolled out and he shouts "Penhaligan!" and reaches for his sword with an expression utterly devoid of fear (or indeed, higher brain functions).