08b: Across the Downs - together.   Posted by GM2.Group: 0
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 446 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 01:23
Re: Ely

 Feeling better than he has at any point in the last few days - though no less injured than he was before last nights scuffle, at least rested and recovered from the strain of dragging their companion from the grip of the mire - Sir Campbell seems much restored by the nights rest, waking early and stretching before taking up the errand of using whatever he can find in the way of dry sand or straw to thoroughly scrub his armour, inside and out and at least attempting to air his padded underwear before approaching the fortress.

  Being a nobleman of course, it doesn't occur to him to dicker like a fishwife when in need but rather heads directly for the gate, shoulders back and head up, as befits a man of his station.
Thomas Keith
 player, 183 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 20:53
Re: Ely
Thomas also felt better and filthy. They had been on the road qwuite some time, slept on the ground and been bloodied numerous times. His armour was in need of care and he was in need of some decent food. He marched along side Adoins directly for the castle. Some largesse from the lord of the area would be most welcome and some time to clean himself and his armour as well.

They also needed to discharge their duty before the bad guys arrived.
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 342 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 10:00
Re: Ely
Having filled his pack with supplies Eldor pulled his hood up before moving up along side the two knights, the last thing he needed or wanted for the group was to have to explain the presence of an elf. At least if they gained access Sir Adonis would be able to speak up for him if there was a problem.
Rael
 player, 141 posts
 Traveler from far away
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 10:26
Re: Ely
Rael felt a lot better come next morning, he had suffered enough from lack of provisions so instead of marching first to the castle he took the chance to restock his provisions on the little market before heading to the gate.
GM2
 GM, 1195 posts
Sat 11 Jun 2011
at 15:34
Re: Ely
Adonis and Thomas walk proudly but rather slowly towards the main gate, the others making up a somewhat bedraggled train.   Rael makes a slight diversion via the market.

The gate guards cross spears and challenge Adonis, courteously enough.  "What be yer business here in the Jarl's keep, fine sirs?"
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 447 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Sat 11 Jun 2011
at 18:09
Re: Ely

 "Sir Keith and myself and our companions bear word for your lord of upheavals and fell deeds in the outlying lands of his donain." declares the Albish knight in unspecific but terribly dramatic fashion in a voice that could fill a cathedral, "Get ye hither at once and inform your masters seneschal that travellers of quality have come with news!" he then promptly instructs, not even seeming to consider the possibility that they might decline.

 Sir Campbell... if he didn't exist, you'd have to write a ballad about him.
Rael
 player, 142 posts
 Traveler from far away
Sat 11 Jun 2011
at 20:03
Re: Ely
Rael spends some more time with the local then hastly make his way to the castle.
Thomas Keith
 player, 184 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Sun 12 Jun 2011
at 19:44
Re: Ely
Thomas eyed the other knight sidelong for the briefest of instants. It would have served to say please to this man as they were bedraggled and road worn. Delay might be costly and a bit of courtesy may have served them well to speed things along. Thomas held his peace however as the Albish knight was wll within his right to command this man as he did.
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 343 posts
Sun 12 Jun 2011
at 20:48
Re: Ely
Eldor stepped up to just behind the knights keeping his head down so his features were hidden in the shadows od his hood.
GM2
 GM, 1196 posts
Sun 12 Jun 2011
at 21:36
Re: Ely
The guards confer for a moment at Adonis' announcement, then one of them dissappears into the keep at a jog.

Only a few minutes pass and a youngish man returns with several more soldiers.  "I am Ulthar, Steward of the Jarl.   The Jarl would hear your word personally, and he is in residence.  Follow me".

You are ushered through the gate and marched through the lower keep, which seems to have several well-constructed longhouses in side it, and a goodly number of armed men breaking their fast.   Then you reach a stone causeway which curves up into the castle itself, constructed upon the bare rock.

Ulthar turns and addresses you once again. "Good sirs I must ask you to surrender your swords before we enter the castle.  My sergeant here will take good care of them " - he indicates a burly veteran standing by with a wooden barrel to collect your weapons.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 448 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Mon 13 Jun 2011
at 08:19
Re: Ely

 "Good fellow." Adonis states with more of the sort of casual and unthinking condescension that's expected from the Quality towards them as do all the work and are usually covered in mud (and quiet approval for the fact that when a nobleman told him what to do, the fellow ran to obey - exactly as he ought to have done), whereupon his usual frightening lack of intelligence making a little wait no difficulty at all - the steward gets himself a curt but respectful nod (as befits a non-nobleman given noble responsibilities) and a "Splendid!"

 The weapons check is a little more problematic however, just as it was back at Ahelsham, and the Albish knight visibly bristles to let fly with a torrent of complaints until a lonely thought strikes him mid-inhalation and he actually manages to cut himself off before a single word makes it past his lips, subsiding and conversationally remarking, "Blood of the Prophet my sword's back in that chaps grave, this is just pig iron!" in a thoroughly pleased fashion that sees him unbelting the simple loop he's carrying the crude iron blade in and lower it into the barrel.

 Well, it's not a knights weapon he's carrying you see.
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 344 posts
Mon 13 Jun 2011
at 08:41
Re: Ely
Eldor steps forward and carefully removes his bow, quiver, short sword and boot dagger. He does it slowly so as not to knock back his hood.

Keeping his head down he steps back behind the two knights and waits for further orders from the young guide.

All the while his eyes are darting left and right observing all that is going on, making note of the way they came in and the quickest way out if needed. At the same time he let his essences seep out, not enough to actually expend any of his energy but enough to get comfort from the earth and rock that the fortress was built on. He hated the constraints a human structure did to the land and he felt uncomfortable having to walk into the middle of such a man made structure.

Subconsciously his hand reached into his jacket and grasped the pouched round his neck that contained the soil he'd taken from his mother's garden some long ago.
Thomas Keith
 player, 186 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Tue 14 Jun 2011
at 02:00
Re: Ely
Thomas could understand surrendering his Great Sword. It was a weapon of war and it would not be needed in the hall of the Jarl. He had nothing else which was a very sad state of affairs. He needed to find his family sword and his other gear that had been taken back at the inn. He truly was a poor knight at this moment. His father would be so ashamed.

He unbuckled the baldric and surrendered it to the Sergeant.
Rael
 player, 143 posts
 Traveler from far away
Tue 14 Jun 2011
at 05:18
Re: Ely
Rael quickly follow the others surrendering his long blade and his short, if asked too, he saw no point in giving the two remaining throwing knives hidden on his person as they were hardly a weapon.

He followed the other like a meek servant watching the castle and its inhabitants.
GM2
 GM, 1199 posts
Tue 14 Jun 2011
at 21:49
Re: Ely
Weapons deposited, your are ushered through old stone corridors into the presence of the Jarl, several soldiers keeping a close eye on your movements.

The Jarl is a man in the prime of his age, neither tall nor short, wearing simple clothing.  He stands by the fire at the far end of a small hall.  The guards usher Adonis and Thomas forward and the Jarl speaks directly "Well sirs, you Albish have a message for me of great import, it seems?".
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 449 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Tue 14 Jun 2011
at 23:08
Re: Ely

 "Aye, even so." remarks Sir Campbell, moving forwards smoothly to a point a good lunge-and-a-half away from the Jarl so as not to alarm anyone before he offers him the from-the-waist bow due to a lord under his own roof, "Word of rebellion and upheaval in the western portions of your land. At the behest of Thane Hadrick we ventured to investigate rumours of ill-deeds and witchcraft in one of the furthest crofts of you demesne and there encountered soldiery and heavy cavalry both, whereupon we did undertake to carry word across the moor, casting aside dogged pursuit, bog-white and crafty alike in order to achieve this fortress ahead of any response."
Thomas Keith
 player, 187 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Wed 15 Jun 2011
at 02:09
Re: Ely
Thomas likewise greets the Jarl with a show of courtesy. He bowed at the waist approximately the same depth as Adonis and added his own assent to this. "I bear witness to this good knight's words be true. There are things most foul happening within you demesne."

He straightened himself and awaited the Jarl's pleasure.
Rael
 player, 144 posts
 Traveler from far away
Wed 15 Jun 2011
at 06:01
Re: Ely
During the trip to the Jarl hall, Rael make some notion about not wishing to mingle with the affair of his betters. He tells the others he will wait for them in their rooms and make sure they have food ready for them.

Giving the others a quick bow "lord Eldor, perhaps it would be better if you stay with the rest, to keep them safe." he whispers to the elf "I'll make sure we have warm rooms and food ready."
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 345 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2011
at 10:23
Re: Ely
"Rael my friend my heart would lovew to follow you and the rest to a mean and a warm bed but I covered my true form to allow us access to the fortress but it would dishonour my race and our host if I did not present myself to him as I truely am."

With that he straightened and strode towards the Jarl. Stopping level with the two knights he bowed deeply. "My Lord, I am honoured to be allowe to walk the corridors of your fine dwelling and to samply your hospitality but I feel that I must introduce myself to you in an open and honest way of my people."

With that hew straightened and pulling back his hood he lifted his chin as his blond hair cascaded over his shoulders. " My Lord I am Eldor Leaf-Fall son of Lord high councilor Leaf-fall the champion to the Western Elves. I humbley offer my bow and my strength in the name of my people and my father to you and your people."
GM2
 GM, 1201 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2011
at 10:54
Re: Ely
The Jarl nods at Adonis declamation.  "Well, you are not the first to tell me this - last even, a Sir Adelbert arrived telling the same story - however it appears he learned it from yourself.   And it is true that I have not received word from Hadrik in days.  Yet - I believe there is more to this than meets the eye.

If Ettryck is armed as you say, it will surely not tarry in marching on Ely - so I'll hold you to your story.  You and your companions shall be my guests here, and if Ettryck comes you shall help me hold the walls against her.    Should it not come ... I shall be forced to doubt your word.

My steward will escort you to Adelbert and his men".


Just as he is motioning for your to leave, Eldor approaches and makes his introduction.

Siegfried looks on with interest but the guards cross themselves fearfully.  The Jarl responds "I have heard of your race but never laid eyes upon one.  Master Eldor I shall judge you by the company you keep - should you prove honourable then I am sure I will treat you as such."

Your guards nod for you to leave, and you head down the stairs.  Rael rejoins the group on the way down.


Once back in the lower keep, the lower offers to lend you weapons and armour from the castle's stores.
[You may each take a weapon and a shield (if appropriate) from the armoury, and restock on arrows if you use them.]
Eldor Leaf-fall
 player, 346 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2011
at 19:26
Re: Ely
Eldor smiled as he bowed once more to the Jarl "I will not dishonour your hospitality and your trust in me my Lord." And he moved back and followed the two knights out and down to the lower keep.
Thomas Keith
 player, 188 posts
 Knight of Cornumbria
 General Snot
Sun 19 Jun 2011
at 21:56
Re: Ely
Thomas eyed the location that they were in. He pointedly looked to Adonis after his assessment. "If this keep is attacked, this will not go well in the lower keep." He was sure Adonis would see the flaws in the defenses as easily as he could.
Rael
 player, 145 posts
 Traveler from far away
Mon 20 Jun 2011
at 14:59
Re: Ely
Rael join the other when they come out from the Jarl, he made some talking with the cook to have a hot meal arrange for them.


When offered to look at the armory Rael would look and search for knives and short blades as well as some bow and arrows.
Sir Adonis Campbell
 player, 450 posts
 The wheel is spinning
 but the hamster has died.
Tue 21 Jun 2011
at 02:23
Re: Ely

 The news that Adelbert and his super-team of friends managed to cross their paths, malinger at the fort and still get back here to the castle faster than Adonis and his companions despite their every privation and effort makes the young Albish knight bristle in irritation he simply doesn't have the wherewithall to hide from a competent observer.

 Still, he manages to keep it - and the rather more serious surge of offence that comes when the word of the small group of nobles and wanderers is questioned is openly doubted - under wraps before unhelpfully declaring "That will not be possible your Lordship. In our efforts to reach you ahead of the rebels we were ambushed by bog-wights on the high moor and one of our companions was wounded unable to press on. We left him in a cave with some supplies and honour, as well as simple humanity demands that we should return to rescue him as soon as we are rested."
GM2
 GM, 1205 posts
Wed 22 Jun 2011
at 16:49
Re: Ely
Once you have left the Jarl's chambers the steward comes hurrying after Adonis and gives him the Jarl's answer about Beren - "I am afraid that until we know the truth of your claims about Ettryck, you may not leave here.  But if your word is good, the Jarl will loan you and your fellows horses to aid a swift return to where your companion lies wounded."


[Please continue posting here: link to a message in this game]