Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger.   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 146 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Wed 29 Nov 2017
at 04:49
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
"Coward!"  Raakkel shrieks at the top of her lungs as her wooden club passes through naught but mist.  Though she yearns to chase the vampiric ghost, Raakkel grits her teeth as she sees the helpless Saragrave, likely dead already but certainly so if he continued to choke on the black smoke blazing all around him.  Cursing her own morality, Raakkel grabs the unconscious man by the collar with her free hand and drags him slowly from the library, keeping her view behind her to ensure neither the giant, nor the demon cat are about to surprise her.

OOC:  Gross.  Looks like that invisibility spell isn't going to pay off as much as I hoped it would.  Since there aren't any attackable foes in the vicinity, pull Saragrave out of the Library, or at least far enough away from the burning books that he isn't going to suffer farther injury.  Make sure that she is paying attention to the scene behind her, as the battle is likely far from over.
Brigt Nershorn
 player, 39 posts
Thu 30 Nov 2017
at 02:33
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Brigt bounded into the room after running out of foes just in time to see the limp body of Saragrave being dragged by, she's assumed, her invisible ally.

"Raakkel, go after him, I'll get as many out as I can.  If we lose him, we may not get another shot at this."

OOC: I'll take over with Saragrave if he's not out of danger and then go back in for others, focusing on our downed allies.  Also, I'm sure this town has a fire brigade, so I'll find a bystander or one of our dukes to sound the alarm or go get them.
Gamemaster
 GM, 737 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Thu 30 Nov 2017
at 03:27
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
The goblin knight drags Saragrave's limp body out of the burning library and into the hall.  Brigt swiftly joins her side and takes hold of the legendary thief, freeing up Raakkel to pursue Mordag if she wishes.

Gamaliel rushes past both women and gazes for but a split second at the burning books before gesturing with a hand.  "Thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it," he murmurs, and a sphere of water appears and falls to the floor with a splash.  Then, he waves his hand in a circular motion, and the water rises and moves toward one of the small fires, extinguishing the flames.   "The giant was looking for something in these texts, something valuable to him.  He will return here, I know he will," the priest says with a grim smile, sweat rolling down his face through the effort of spellcasting so much over the course of a few minutes.  "My Trace spell is still active.  I can feel him moving downward through the tower."

Out in the hallway, Raakkel surveys the scene.  The mist has moved down the stairs and out of sight.  Mack and Felix are down on the ground.  Gwaereniel is kneeling beside them, checking to see if they are still alive.  At the end of the hallway stand Shale, Torch, and three of the Wharf Dukes.  Shale looks up at Redshield and Brigt.  "Shall we follow the mist?" Shale asks.

OOC:  Gamaliel is dousing the flames with his water magic.  First Aid checks will reveal that Mack, Felix, and Saragrave are all unconscious but badly injured.  Tybalt and Felix were last seen in the Great Hall, along with the other four gang members and what sounded like the demon cat.  Mordag appears to be fleeing.

Still assume combat time, but you can describe your actions over the next few minutes or so.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 147 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 23:15
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel curses under her breath.  She wished that there were a more simple answer, that Mordag had not been so cowardly, that his spellwork had not decimated the wharf dukes down below.

"Gam stay here and tend to the wounded if you can.  Shale, come with me for a moment, I think that damn cat is still roaming the downstairs, and we'll not tempt it to attack us in the darkness, but I fear it may seek to attack us here or to wait below for us to attempt to leave.  I know little of vampires, but he must need that coffin, and they were certainly searching here for something.  I agree with you Gamaliel that he will come back, we just can't let him surprise us in the mean time."

OOC:  Ok, details are a little fuzzy on who is up here at the moment.  Shale and I will head towards the stairs to follow the mist, but not attempting to catch it nor to follow it into the darkness spell.  If the darkness is still active, then retreat to a defensive spot where we can both attack without being targeted from someone in the mist (like the top of the stairwell, hopefully that would cut the cat's dodge as well).  That would leave Brigt and Gaeraniel, one of which with the best healing abilities (first aid or whatnot) should stay to help Gam staunch the bleeding on Mack or Felix.  If the other wants to come down with Shale and I they can.  We should also have the rest of the Wharf Dukes (whichever of them are alive).  Ideally they come down to fight as well, but I can understand if they think they bit off more than they can chew.

Sorry for the lag here, I think the post came up right in the heart of my busy stuff and I completely forgot about it over the past few days.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:51, Wed 06 Dec 2017.

Gamemaster
 GM, 738 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 04:24
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Gamaliel stifles a yawn.  The priest has been up all night maintaining his tracking spell on the giant.  "I'll do what I can," he says.   He concentrates for a moment.  "He seems to have stopped on the floor below, in the Great Hall.  Shall I maintain your Invisibility spell?"  Beads of sweat run down his face.  "All this spellcasting has been taking a toll on me.  What I need right now is 'a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands', but I'll soldier on."  He smiles wryly.  "Perhaps Brigt can assist me.  And we should attempt to destroy that sarcophagus.  If he is a vampire, and he certainly seems to share the characteristics of one, he needs the soil of his homeland to sleep on."  Gamaliel's magic has extinguished the fires in the hidden library, but a number of texts and scrolls have been charred.  The gigantic ceramic sarcophagus still stands open and leans against the far wall.

Gwaereniel speaks up from farther down the hall.  "I'll see what I can do about staunching their wounds," she says, already working on Mack. "And we should restrain Saragrave in case he wakes up."

Now Raakkel gathers her troops and stands at the head of the staircase.  The magical darkness still engulfs the stairs, and somewhere below, Mordag and the demon either lurk or have already fled from the tower.

OOC:  Gamaliel and Gwaereniel (and Brigt, if she chooses) will see to Felix, Mack, and Saragrave.  Raakkel has Shale, Torch, and three other Wharf Dukes.  Rakkel's cat Tybalt and the cat-like crat Marvin are nowhere to be seen, along with the four remaining Wharf Dukes.

The Darkness spell is still active, but you can hear nothing from below.  Will you wait for the spell to dissipate first and potentially lose Mordag, or risk going into the darkness and be ambushed by Mordag and the cat?

The time is approaching noon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:27, Wed 06 Dec 2017.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 149 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 05:24
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel curses underneath her breath.  She could not in good faith ask more from Gam, who had been awake all night supporting his spell but there seemed to be little they could do until the vampire wished it.

"No."  Raakkel shakes her head.  "Let the spell pass if it will fatigue you further.  At least we will be able to hold things here for now and we won't know when Mordag will return or how.  Rest yourself, for we will surely need you as soon."

"Gwaereniel."  Raakkel continues.  "See to Saragrave after you are done with assisting Gam, make sure that there is no chance he can wake and be of further burden to us.  After that find a way to destroy that coffin.  I had thought fire might do the trick, but that seems shortsighted at this point.  Perhaps Felix's Morningstar might be the best weapon to try and damage it, though I fear that Felix himself is the only one who could wield it."

Raakkel turns to the others beside her, trying to rally the troops.  "There is reason to believe Mordag will come back.  He waits down below and certainly there was something in this library that he was seeking for the past several weeks.  He will come to meet us again and we must be ready.  Stay clear of his spellwork, and have a ready path back to the staircase for if they surprise us again as they did before, I fear our ranks may not be able to take it."

OOC:  Ok, Gam and Gwar stay back as stated above.  Heal ours first, then tie up Saragrave, then destroy the coffin.  The wharfdukes, Shale and I will head downstairs but not near nor into the darkness spell.  I'm not sure we are going to win this, but I sure as shit am not going to charge ahead into a blind unknown.  Have everyone prep an escape route back to the stairs, with the top of the stairs as a rally point to attack if we have to fall back.
Gamemaster
 GM, 740 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Thu 28 Dec 2017
at 07:34
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Gamaliel nods his head.  "I will rest, then, though I dare not sleep yet."  Still standing, the priest leans against the wall and crosses his arms.  Trickles of sweat run down his face, and dark circles are under his eyes.

Raakkel shimmers back into view as Gwaereniel begins binding Saragrave with rope.   "What about Felix?" the elf asks, biting her lip in concentration.  "Is it safe to leave him alone?  Or is he still under Mordag's spell?"

The mood in the hallway is somber.  Both Felix and Mack still lie on the ground, stretched out. Shale, Torch, and the other Wharf Dukes guard the staircase in case either Mordag or the demon returns.  After a moment, Gamaliel speaks up.  "Mordag's moving," he says.  "I can feel him descending the tower."

Near the top of the stairs, Shale calls, "The staircase is still dark!  Should we follow him?"

OOC:  Two minutes have passed. Gamaliel still has his Trace spell active.  Will you wait for the Darkness spell to dissipate or follow Mordag now?  Do you want to try binding Felix or leave him alone?  Also, will Brigt attempt to heal either Mack or Felix?
Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 150 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 00:35
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
"No."  Raakkel responds, exhausted.  "We wait.  I'll not send anyone back into that darkness to be pounced on by that demon cat.  We may know where Mordag is, but we have yet to account for that beast.  Let's tend to those we can and then move on from there.  Bright, see what you can do for Mack, we'll wait to see what is going on with Felix before we heal him too much."

OOC:  Sorry for the rushed post, but here's what I want to do in order.  1.  Heal Mack if he's still alive.  2. Stop bleeding (first aid) on Felix, but no healing until we know he's back on our side.  3.  Bind Saragrave  4.  Wait for the darkness spell to lift.  I'm not really sure what to do here, but hopefully Felix stays on our side from here.
Gamemaster
 GM, 741 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Thu 4 Jan 2018
at 11:17
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Seeing to the wounded, Bright quietly speaks one incantation over Mack, and then another.  After the second healing spell, color returns to the gnome's face, and he breathes more regularly, but he remains unconscious.   As for Felix, Brigt leaves him alone to recover naturally, although she does staunch his wounds with bandages.

Binding Saragrave with rope, Gwaereniel shakes her head in wonder.  "I expected more from this so-called legendary thief," she says.  "Well, at least we can collect the bounty on him.  Why do you think he was working with the giant?"

At the top of the stairs, the Wharf Dukes are restless.  One, a short, stocky kid of about 15, mutters to Torch, "We can't stay here forever.  And what about Anne and the guys?  That demon could be eating them right now!"

"The cat can see in the dark.  Can you?"  Torch grimaces.  "I don't like it any more than you do, Derek, but we're blind down there, and that demon can pick us off one by one."

After a few minutes, Gamaliel looks up from his resting position leaning against the wall.  "Mordag has left the Tower," he says simply, his face still tired.  "I can feel him moving away from us, toward the southeast."  At the end of the hall, the magical darkness vanishes from the staircase.

OOC:  OK, Felix, Mack, and Saragrave are all stable but still unconscious.  Saragrave is bound, and Gwaereniel is guarding him.  Gamaliel has been resting ten minutes.  Do you want to try to follow Mordag or wait for the unconscious to wake up?  Also, what will you do with Saragrave?  Do you want to lock him up, take him with you, or find some guardsmen to take him?  There is a sizable reward for his capture, but he may have information about Mordag. The watch's presence is light here in Northside, but you have encountered one patrol in your time here.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:10, Fri 05 Jan 2018.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 151 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Fri 26 Jan 2018
at 11:13
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
"This has been a disaster..."  Raakkel sighs as she looks from Saragrave to Felix to the wharfdukes who are still wondering the fate of their comrades.  "Though we stumbled here on our first trip, perhaps it was a mistake to come back.  Gamaliel cannot stay awake forever and I fear we may lose the giant and the staff all together.  But I suppose we may as well take advantage of those small gains we have come by."

Raakkel sighs again heavily as she reevaluates the scene.  "Bright, see what you can do for Felix, I think we'll need him walking, I know I can't carry him.  We can at least hope that if the darkness spell is past than whatever spell was cast upon him will be done with too.  Torch, I know we owe you money and thanks for your work.  Please go down and see to your men.  The Sorceress in Silver has promised us healing aid, so if there is anything that cannot be fixed here, surely she can help with whatever is needed.  The rest of us, lets collect what we can from this library and get back to the sorceress.  She will want to see Saragrave at the least even if we don't have the staff.  After he is questioned we will turn him in for the reward, it is the least we can do to make sure that we have paid ourselves back as well as Torch's men."

OOC:  Sorry for the delay, you already know the issues I have.  Here's what I want to get accomplished and if fast forwarding is warranted, that is fine.
1.  Heal Felix (be prepared for him to attack)
2.  Let Torch clean up after his men
3.  Do a cursory search of the library (including Saragrave's person) and take what we can of the books/vampire shit both to try and find clues of what Mordag is looking for as well as to have some proof for the authorities.  Take whatever shit we can reasonably carry.
4.  Head out back to the Sorceress with Saragrave still bound.  (hopefully Felix can hold him)
5.  Allow the sorceress (if desired) to interrogate Saragrave
6.  Turn him in for the reward.
If you want to stop anywhere in there to get my reaction, feel free.

Gamemaster
 GM, 743 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 11:24
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Now that the magical darkness has lifted, Torch takes his remaining  Wharf Dukes down to the floor below.  "I'll go with them, just in case there's trouble," Shale offers, and the group descends the staircase.

In the corridor leading to the secret library, Gwaereniel has assembled a makeshift infirmary for Mack, Felix, and Saragrave.  Meanwhile, Brigt rests on the floor before she tries another casting.

"Mordag might hasten back at any moment," Gamaliel says as he picks his way around the bodies and walks toward the library.  "I must confess, I am perplexed as to why he would flee in daylight if he is indeed a vampire.  Vampiric lore says that vampires are loath to venture out into the sun.  He must be in exquisite pain right now.  At sundown, he may be emboldened to return here to the tower."  He enters the library and looks with longing at all the codices, notebooks, and other bound volumes and loose manuscripts scattered throughout.

He picks one up and leafs through it.  "This library is an extraordinary find.  This book, for instance, details an extensive list of corpse embalming methods."  He sets it down and selects another.  "And this is a journal of day-to-day experiences at court."  He closes the book and looks around the library with respect.  "If this truly was the Necromancer's hidden study, the possibilities for what we might find here are nearly endless, but there is much to pore through to find what we seek."  He looks thoughtfully, almost longingly at the assorted grimoires and scrolls.  "Mordag desires something.  We know that the Necromancer purportedly destroyed him.  What if she did not?  What if, instead, she bound him to her will?  The stories said that Mordag was a mortal giant.  Perhaps, rather than killing him, she transformed him to this undead condition that he now finds himself in."

Gamaliel is quiet for a moment, and then he says, almost as if to himself, "'And thou shalt be brought down, and shalt speak out of the ground, and thy speech shall be low out of the dust, and thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit, out of the ground, and thy speech shall whisper out of the dust.'  So it is with us all."  He resumes rummaging through the vast collection of texts gathered in this library.

Meanwhile, Raakkel checks the unconscious Saragrave, going though his pockets and searching for weapons.  She finds a number of interesting things, including a belt full of a half dozen throwing knives.  He is wearing a well-made suit of leather armor and a fine shortsword in a sheath.  He is missing his left ring finger.  On his right ring finger is a beautiful ruby ring.  In a pouch is a potion, some silver coins, and three keys.  In one boot is a lockpick.

A minute later, Shale returns.  "The cat attacked them.  Savage was its cruelty.  Still, the Wharf Dukes live."

Behind her is Torch, who cocks an eye at her report, but then nods his head.  "No one's dead, which is a good thing.  They're all hurt pretty bad, though.  Ya think yer Sorceress can heal 'em, too?  I know a few spells, but nothin about healin."

Gwaereniel pipes up.  "Maybe we should take them back to Varley's instead?  They can recuperate there, maybe."

Torch frowns.  "I try not ta bring any kinda hassle on Megan.  We can head back to our place, but healin'd still be appreciated."

OOC:  Both Gamaliel and Brigt are low on FP and need rest to regain their strength.  Your wounded are Felix, Mack, Saragrave, and four Wharf Dukes.  You can wait here for as long as it takes to heal them so that they can walk, but there is a chance that Mordag will return.  Alternately, you can regroup at Varley's or dismiss the Wharf Dukes with their wages, though they will be appreciative for healing.  The Wharf Dukes will be reluctant to join you again but can be convinced to given enough money.  Or you can head to the Sorceress' house.

Let me know which items of Saragrave's you want to take and who will carry them:  a set of well-made leather armor, a fine shortsword, $43 in silver, a ruby ring, 3 keys, 1 lockpick, and 1 potion.

The library is quite extensive.  If you want Gamaliel to select some books, roll versus his Research or Scrounging skill and let me know how long you would like him to search.

Also, how much time do you want to wait for your casters to recover  energy?  Note that Gamaliel cannot search for appropriate books and rest to regain FP at the same time.

Brigt Nershorn
 player, 40 posts
Thu 1 Feb 2018
at 22:21
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
An hour rest or more would be preferred.  At Varley's if necessary.  I'll heal anyone that was injured fighting with us as best I can.  If the Wharf Dukes can be paid or convinced to stay on, I'm all for it.

I'd like to see and touch each of the items recovered to help determine if they're enchanted.

I'll carry any of the lighter items, but someone else should carry the armor.
Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 152 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Fri 9 Feb 2018
at 16:26
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel shakes her head.  "With the demons that the giant sent after us already, I would be hesitant to go anywhere without some quick healing.  He has already proved he can put his cat on our heels to track our motions and then attack when he wishes.  I say we go to the Sorceresses as soon as we are able.  She offers healing and some protection.  I do not know when the giant will be back so I suggest we make haste."

OOC:  Delay as short as humanly possible to get out of here.  Head to the sorceresses and tell the wharf dukes that she had offered us healing for our involvement and pass on the offer to them.  If Varley's is on the way, we can make a pit stop there for rest but I'd rather not interrogate Saragrave without the sorceress there.  Again, sorry for the delay, my schedule and memory continues to suck.
Gamemaster
 GM, 748 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Mon 12 Feb 2018
at 03:38
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
The wounded are many, and Gamaliel and Brigt have their hands full with getting everyone in shape to travel.  After resting a bit, Gamaliel heads downstairs to see if he can revive the fallen Wharf Dukes.  Miraculously, none are dead, though all are unconscious from their wounds, and he heals them enough so that they can walk.

After fifteen minutes, Mack opens his eyes and sits up.  Groaning, the gnome holds his head.  "Anybody see that team of oxen that ran me over?"

Next to Mack, Felix also stirs.  He mumbles, "Don't worry, Zaz.   I'll find that cat.  He'll get what's coming."  Opening his eyes, he clambers to his feet and looks around.  "Where'd Mordag go?  Did we kill him?"

"Too bad we didn keep that huge wagon we foun, Torch,"  one of the Wharf Dukes says.  "It woulda been useful righ bout now."

Torch shrugs.  "What good woulda it been widout horses?" he says.  "Yeah, it was plenty big.  Guess whoe'er brought it ta Northside took their horses when they lef."

The group divvies up Saragrave's belongings to sort out later.  When Brigt sees the ruby ring, her affinity for magic tells her the ring has magical properties, and touching the ring confirms her suspicions.

Gamaliel takes a look at the other gear.  "Well-crafted armor," he says.  "I'm detecting an enchantment on it of some magnitude."  He next turns his attention to the library's reams of papers and stacks of books.  "I could devote weeks here to rummaging through all of this," he says, gesturing with his hand.  "Sifting through all these codices will take a monumental amount of time, and most of these tomes are transcribed in Latin."  He selects a few random texts to study when they have more time.

Once everyone is ambulatory, the group as a whole leaves the tower.  Outside is Tybalt, Dame Raakkel's marmalade cat, and the crat, Marvin, the curious creature who resembles for all intentions a housecat.  Marvin hops up on Mack's shoulder and puts his moth to  the gnome's ear.  Mack's eyebrows rise in surprise.

Now the group heads southeast past the fountain square where the beggars congregate.  Though the group has many wounded, the company is large enough to deter thugs and cutpurses, and the eight Wharf Dukes and Shale lend a local edge to the party so that they don't look like a band of outsiders.

As the group is walking south down Kepper's street past Varley's, Mack catches Lady Redshield and Brigt as the two walk, quietly conversing.  "Marvin says while he and Tybalt were waiting outside, they saw the demon run west, and not long after, the giant leave, going east.  The two weren't together.  Marvin said he didn't want to risk following either.  You think the demon has abandoned the giant?"

After about half an hour, the party arrives, tired and dusty, at the gates of the Sorceress in Silver.  The footman who answers the door raises his eyebrows in surprise, but when Dame Raakkel announces that they have Saragrave in custody, he scurries off to fetch his mistress, and returns soon to usher the group into the Sorceress' dining room where they had previously been attacked by the animated stone gargoyles.

Saragrave is placed under armed guard by the Sorceress' two men-at-arms.  The legendary thief is still unconscious from the wounds he suffered during the fight.  Together, Gamaliel and the Sorceress cast healing spells on Mack, Felix, and the four injured Wharf Dukes.

Now, the Sorceress turns her attention to Saragrave.  The thief's arms, legs, hands, and feet are securely bound with cords.  "Evigilare faciatis," she murmurs, touching the thief lightly on the shoulder, and after a moment, the thief opens his eyes.  He blinks a couple of times, and he struggles to break free, but his bonds hold him tightly.

"Now then," the Sorceress says, her lips set, her eyes angry.  "Tell us everything you know.  Everything.."

Unable to break free, Saragrave resigns himself to his current state of capture.  Calmly, he says, his voice soft and smooth, "I am quite sorry for having to steal your staff and kill your apprentice, Sorceress.  I simply couldn't resist the challenge, I'm afraid.   I suppose you'll have to turn me in to the authorities.  Very well, I resign myself to my fate."  He sighs with an air of world-weariness and a hint of resignation.

OOC:  I'll pause here if you have any questions you'd like to ask Saragrave or anything else you'd like to do.

Gamaliel has found nothing useful during his cursory search, but there is much to comb through in the library.  He collected a few promising books and manuscripts, but this is only a tiny fraction of the library's contents.

Everyone is is conscious and ambulatory except for Saragrave, but as a group, many are at half-move.  Felix still has some injuries, and he needs one more healing spell to bring him to full health.  He does not seem to be under the effects of Mordag's spell any longer, at least as far as you can tell.

Gamaliel is greatly fatigued from spell-casting and maintaining the tracking spell on Mordag.

Note your current FP and HP on your character sheets.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 154 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Fri 23 Feb 2018
at 14:35
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Rage bubbles in Dame Raakkel as this vagabond and rogue coos his apologies as if he had done no more than take an apple from a farmer's cart.  Before she knows it she has charged the few steps between them, her balled fist flying towards the bound man's cheek.

"Scoudrel!"  She spits the word at his face, though one attempt at attacking the helpless man seems enough to slake her wrath for the moment.  "You think an apology is what we seek?  Your words are as meaningless as your life!  What was Mordag looking for?  Why does he scavenge the tower?  How does the staff play in?"

Raakkel seethes as she turns her back to Saragrave palming the hilt of the short sword she has borrowed from the loot from the tower.

"Your only hope to live, Saragrave."  She speaks from over her shoulder, "Is that you tell us the totality of Mordag's plans and that you hope we have some ounce of dignity more than your own.  Otherwise, your life is forfeit as you have taken Maewen's."

OOC:  Figured I'd give questioning him another go.  I'm assuming the hitting him is an automatic action unless someone stops me, but if not, then it will be a telegraphic brawling punch to the face.
Gamemaster
 GM, 751 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Fri 2 Mar 2018
at 08:28
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Dame Raakkel strikes Saragrave hard with a balled-up fist, the thief wincing from the impact.  ”Call off your pet goblin, Sorceress, and I’ll tell all I know.”  His voice is still smooth and soft, but it takes on a dangerous undercurrent.

He clears his throat.  ”I suppose you’ve pieced together that Mordag of old survived as a ravenous vampire.  He threatened to kill me unless I found for him a supply of food, and I figured no one would miss a few beggars.  As for what he was looking for, apparently an old enemy of his, a famous necromancer, lived in that tower.  Mordag fancies himself a great mage, and he thought to ransack her library to find new spells.”

”As for the staff, he had me steal it.  Technically, it is his.  Or the finger bone, at least.”

He looks to Raakkel and smiles, cold and calculating.  ”I suppose I should thank you for saving my life.  If I hadn’t been able to keep the giant’s larder well-stocked, I would have been the next one on the menu.”

Shale explodes with rage.  Shaking with fury, she looks over the bound thief.  ”You monster!  Rowenna was my friend!  You’ll hang for what you’ve done!”

OOC:  If you’d like to use Detect Lies, declare you’re doing so, and I’ll roll for you.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:12, Tue 17 Apr 2018.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 155 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Tue 17 Apr 2018
at 04:12
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel thinks long on Saragrave's answer, her hand cuffed around the hilt of her sword.  While she had no real reason to doubt Saragrave, apart from his reputation as a notorious theif, his story simply did not add together.  He was held captive by Mordag, yet he walked freely into the sorceress's tower to steal the staff, murdering Maewen in the process?  Why had he not fled instead?  Why did he not plea to the Sorceress once he had gotten there to protect his life?

Raakkel is so frustrated she could spit on the floor, though instead she lets her hand slacken from her weapon as she turns away from the monster before them.  "You disgust me."  Raakkel sighs, walking slowly towards her comrades.  "I suggest we beat him unconscious before taking him to be turned in with the guild for the ransom.  He obviously has no interest in cooperating."

OOC:  Sorry for the wait.  Raakkel suggests we turn in Saragrave for the ransom, though not before incapacitating him first as he's likely to escape otherwise.  Might as well see some profit from this adventure.  Still not sure what to do about Mordag.
Gamemaster
 GM, 752 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 04:05
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
"That won't be necessary," the Sorceress says, glaring at Saragrave. "I'll summon the Watch, and they can take him away. He will hang for his crimes, and Maewen's soul will be at rest. I can make sure he does not attempt to escape in the meantime, and I will be sure that the authorities know who captured him so that you can claim the reward the Duke and the merchants' guild has offered for his capture." She crosses her arms and looks at the thief consideringly, and then she looks up at the group of adventurers.

"I commissioned you to retrieve the staff and capture or kill Saragrave, and you've completed part of the bargain. But if what you say is true, there is a greater danger than Saragrave loose in the city. If Mordag is truly alive and has been controlling Saragrave, then he bears responsiblity for Maewen's death as well. Track him down and finish the job."

Gamaliel is standing to one side of the Sorceress' dining table. The priest braces himelf on one of the chairs and is barely remaining upright. "I still have the Trace spell active on Mordag," he says wearily. "So we know his whereabout. But I'm on the threshold of exhaustion as it is. If I rest, I fear I will fall into slumber, and we will extinguish our advantage over the giant."

"Then let's go now!" Shale says. "Vampires rest at day. At night, they roam to seek flesh. Their bite destroys souls."

"He should be weakened now. We can finish him off!"
She speaks animatedly, passion in her voice. Her friend Rowenna had ended up in the giant's larder, likely a meal for his thirst.

"But what about Gamaliel?" Mack asks, looking worriedly at the wizard. "He's going to collapse any second. He's in no condition to walk, let alone fight a giant vampire wizard!"

OOC: The Sorceress is willing to give you part of the reward she offered since you captured Saragrave (1/3 of the $15,000). In addition, you can claim the $10,000 reward offered by the Duke and the merchants' guild for Saragrave's capture. Saragrave will first need to be handed over to the Watch, and his identity will need to be verified before you can receive the $10,000.

Gamaliel currently has his Trace spell active on Mordag. Brigt could use a little rest, but she is in fighting condition right now, and Felix and the Wharf Dukes have been healed of their wounds, so except for Gamaliel, the rest of you are in good shape.

When the demon cat and Mordag left the tower, they left separately, the cat going west, and Mordag heading east. It is unclear where the demon is now.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:06, Fri 20 Apr 2018.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 156 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 22:24
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel cannot help but be swayed by Shale's words.  "You are right of course, we have no option but to seek out the vampire now before he comes back in the night for all of us.  The watch should be called forthwith to take care of Saragrave, but I fear that we don't have the time to spare to wait for them to bring him to justice.  We must make our move as soon as we can, besides,"  She pauses for a moment.  "I still don't think it is a good idea for Felix to hang around for them.  Torch, can we count on your men to take down this menace?  The Sorceress has guaranteed us $5000 of our pay, if we give half to you and your men could we commission you to help us rid the city of this menace?  Gam, I think you are just going to have to bear it unless the Sorceress has some draught to restore your vigor."

OOC:  Sorry for the lag, in the middle of cursing you for not posting in my game (who needs sleep?) I realized I've been exponentially worse in yours.  Let's get this over with once and for all rather than waiting for him to make the next move.  Promise $2500 to Torch and his men if we can kill Mordag.  Let him know about the wooden weapons deal.
Gamemaster
 GM, 753 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Thu 24 May 2018
at 10:25
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Torch’s mouth gapes at the generosity of Raakkel’s offer. ”Bloody ‘ell, that’s a lot of quid,” he says, gulping down his astonishment. ”Yes, certainly, your ladyship. Me an’ the crew are with you. Hell, for all that, I’ll go get the rest of the Wharf Dukes!”

Leaving Saragrave in the keeping of the Sorceress in Silver, the group heads out in search of where Mordag has fled. Gamaliel leads the way, just barely managing to stay upright, but the priest’s jaw is set, and from somewhere he draws the strength to continue. Their journey takes them north again to Northside, and once they pass Fishburgers, Torch momentarily breaks with the group to collect the rest of his street gang. Now, with Torch and a dozen Wharf Dukes, the group resembles more a small army armed with wooden clubs.

From Fishburgers, the cavalcade goes north up Kepper Street and then east down Night Street before arriving at the Devil’s Eye, where Raakkel and Brigt once met with Shale and the duo of James and Rooster. Torch looks at the tavern in askance. ”We’re goin’ in there?” he says, as though he’d rather attempt a breakout from the city’s prison. He hangs back as the others enter, though he does follow reluctantly.

As before, the interior is dark, with a fire burning in the fireplace at one end of the common room. However, before the bar had been filled with patrons. Now, it is practically empty. The gigantic elf bartender is alone and looking paler than usual. Now he squints at the close to twenty people who have spilled into his bar. ”We’re closed!” he calls out, though his voice is somewhat shaky. ”Oh, hey, Shale,” he says as the group approaches the bar. ”I didn’t recognize you at first. These your friends?”

OOC: Now that you see the bartender again, he appears to bear somewhat of a resemblance to Torch.

There’s no sign of Mordag here. The only person present is Icehawk, the owner/bartender.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 157 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Wed 30 May 2018
at 04:37
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel walks steadily up to the bar.  Though she is mentally exhausted her sheer determination of finishing this task, and finishing the vampire drive her on.  Though all that said, this was not the place she had expected to end up.

Memories of the meeting with James and Rooster dance in her head.  She remembers clearly that the two had been looking to swindle them out of coin to assist in their mission... and that Shale had come back to talk to them to see what they had found... but she cannot for the life of her remember what had come of it.  Images of the pale tower, emaciated bodies, the two freed prisoners, the fountain, the beggar at the top of the bell tower all seem to swirl together in a jumble, wisping in and out of her grasp like the waters of a river.  She needed real sleep, and from the looks of it, Gamaliel needed it much more badly than she did.

"We are here to investigate several murders that have been taking place in Northside."  Raakkel cuts to the chase, hoping to deflate any resistance to their investigation.  "We have already captured one culprit and have tracked his accomplice here..."  She glances across to Gamaliel who stands barely capable of holding himself on his feet.  "We request to make a small search of your establishment...  It should not take long and we can repay you for your inconvenience.  Gam, where is he, can you tell?"

OOC:  We'll see how the direct approach goes.  Raakkel has her shield readied on her left arm, her armor donned, and her club and Saragrave's sword sheathed and ready for draw (empty right hand).  Defense is retreating block if it is required.
Gamemaster
 GM, 756 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Wed 5 Dec 2018
at 03:58
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Lady Raakel’s civil tone coupled by the presence of Shale seems to make a good impression on the enormous bartender. Icehawk grunts and shakes his head. ”Murders, you say? That‘s nothing new. Killing’s routine in Northside, but some very strange things have been happening recently.”

He shrugs his massive shoulders. ”Sure, feel free to take a look around the place, but I’m afraid the guests’ rooms upstairs are off limits. I have a couple of people staying here right now, but you can look through the unoccupied rooms. Feel free to check the cellars, though. I haven’t seen anyone come in, but there’s plenty of places to hide down there.”

The giant elf squints past Raakkel to look at the others in the crowd as Torch tries and fails to hide in the rear. ”Torch?” he says. ”By the Eternal, is that you? I’ve been looking for you for months!” Icehawk squeezes out from behind the bar and takes a few steps forward.

”You know this guy, Torch?” one of the Wharf Dukes asks as their leader reluctantly gives up his attempt to make himself hidden.

”Yeah, I know him,” Torch says reluctantly, and his eyes flash with defiance. ”You ain’t taking me back to the Elfwoods, brother, so get that idea right out of your head!”

OOC: Yes, that’s right, a new post! You have about 20 people on your side, so you can certainly use force to search the place if you choose. Icehawk will permit you to go anywhere except the occupied guestrooms.
Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 159 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Wed 5 Dec 2018
at 05:23
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Raakkel nods her thanks, though her expression remains rather stony.  "My thanks to you goodsir Icehawk, I hope that our presence here proves to be unfounded and our retreat hasty.  However, we have reason to believe that will not be the case..."  She chose not to expound on what would happen if Mordag indeed happened to be in one of the occupied rooms, hoping that the issue would not come to a head.

Raakkel watches on as Icehawk steps forward, talking to Torch and seeming to take the conversation entirely off the rails.  "My apologies, but we must act with haste - we shall have time for re-acquaintances when our business is done.  Gam, where is our foe that we may at last put this monster to rest?"

OOC:  I almost thought I was seeing things when this game turned red!  ;)  Looking forward to finishing, and seeing all the details I missed along the way!
Gamemaster
 GM, 757 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 13:39
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
Gamaliel says quietly, ”He’s upstairs. I can feel him almost directly above us.” Although on the verge of collapse, the priest is calm, his manner serene.

”This thing is a vampire, Icehawk,” Shale says, hands on her hips, her jaw set. ”He’s already murdered several people. You knew Rowenna, didn’t you? Who’s renting your rooms upstairs?”

Icehawk raises a hand and opens his mouth to speak, but he sighs. Shooting a glance at the other elf, he says”I’m not here to argue with you, Torch. We’ll talk after this.” He turns to look at Shale. ”A guy named Sardag. I figure he’s a smuggler. Polite guy, good manners. Really nice voice. And his companion, a big guy my size, or maybe a little bigger. Never saw the other fella’s face; he was cloaked, and he never said anything. I don’t think he’s left his room, although Sardag has been in and out. The two carried a couple of huge crates upstairs.”

Mack hefts his crossbow. ”You figure the big guy is Mordag, Raakkel? Icehawk, you sure he’s just seven feet? Not a giant, in the neighborhood of twelve feet?”

Icehawk shakes his head in the negative. ”No, he’s not much more than seven, although he was hunched over.”

”You mentioned strange things,” Shale interjects. ”Like what?”

”This weird mist, for one,” Icehawk says, rubbing his chin. ”The night Sardag showed up, this thick fog choked the whole street and curled into the tavern like it was alive. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. And just a while ago, I heard the doorbell ring and I came out of the backroom to see fog inside the tavern, curling around everything.”

”Enough talk,” Felix growls. ”Gam, you said Mordag’s upstairs? Then let’s go kill ‘im.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:42, Fri 07 Dec 2018.

Dame Raakkel Redshield
 player, 160 posts
 Knight of the Stone
 In Over Her Head
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 19:59
Re: Part 1 - Mordag's Little Finger
"We already know that the thing is a wizard."  Raakkel responds to Mack.  "His size may just be one more of the things he can change at will.  We must do this quickly - we cannot allow Gam to exhaust himself further, we have no time."  Raakkel nods her assent to Felix, though she has no desire to confirm his name lest Icehawk has heard of their barroom confrontation from earlier yesterday.  "Upstairs then."

OOC:  Head upstairs.  Make it plain to Icehawk that we want him to open the door, but if he won't then get Felix to bust it down.  Keep a couple of Torch's men close to the owner to make sure he doesn't cause his own stir when we start getting physical.