Part 1b - On the Lam.   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 85 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Fri 30 Aug 2013
at 02:52
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
OOC:  Is the girl thief still in sight within the building, or has she already departed?

If she is still within sight and if Mack can EASILY avoid the swinging mace of death known as Felix and his weapon by moving to Felix' (and the thief with the bolt in his gut already) left, Mack attempts to move into position to aim and then take a shot at her before she leaves the building.

If it is clear Mack cannot safely get past, he keeps his crossbow trained on the remaining thief and awaits that one's almost certain doom at the hands of Felix (ready 'just in case', as it were).

Felix
 player, 83 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Fri 30 Aug 2013
at 07:34
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix turns towards the next foe and unleashes a flurry of strikes with his morningstar.

Offenses: (1) Step (turn) and Attack (Rapid-Strike), then (2) Attack (Rapid-Strike) or Move.
Defenses: Parry 16, Retreat Dodge 16, Block 15

Gamemaster
 GM, 556 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 09:00
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
The fleeing thief’s footsteps echo down the hall as she escapes with her life.  Mack maneuvers around to the side to see if he can spot her, but she’s already down the hallway and out of sight, and so the gnome looks swiftly at the remaining thug.

Again, Felix’s massive morningstar bludgeons its victim, snapping ribs with its sheer force.  The remaining brigand slumps to the floor, his body battered beyond recognition.  Felix, Martin, and Mack alone are standing, their would-be robbers battered, unconscious or dead.

OOC:  OK, the third and final cutthroat is down.  The girl has run away, but you may pursue her if you choose, or do anything else you can think of.  We’re out of combat time for now, so feel free to post as normal.

If you don’t decide to pursue the girl, please give me some indication of your plans for the evening.

Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 86 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 13:39
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Grimly looking at the thugs, Mack says "I'm sure glad you're on our side, Felix.  They must have followed us from the Brass Door.  Since one of them got away, they may very well be back soon with a larger group.  I don't think we should stay here for the night.  Why don't we get out of here and try to find a bit more reliable of a place to stay."

With that, he bends to the task of seeing if any of the thugs is carrying anything worthwhile, muttering "I suppose I may as well see if they can help us.  Sure won't be needing anything themselves."

OOC:  Is there another obvious exit to the building?  If there is, Mack will suggest they take it to avoid people who saw us go in and may presume we're still in there.  If not, then we'll leave the same way we came in.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:50, Mon 02 Sept 2013.

Felix
 player, 84 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 16:44
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix smiled at the comment as he went around to eat body, smashing in the skulls for good measure.

"Okay. Let's go."
Gamemaster
 GM, 559 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Wed 4 Sep 2013
at 16:53
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
The gnome goes about the business of rifling through the now dead men’s pockets.  He turns up three large knives, a solid knobby mace, a decent set of lockpicks, and a grimy egg sandwich, along with five dirhams and twelve halalas.  The crat watches Mack and Felix work, and then turns to face the hallway, wrapping his tail around his legs.

At length, the three depart, heading further into the abandoned tenement, their footfalls raising dust as they go.  At the back of the building stands another door, and this one Felix opens cautiously, sticks his head out, and looks around.  Nodding to Mack, he steps out into the early evening, and the three of them soon find themselves in an alley running behind the building they took shelter in only thirty minutes before.

OOC:  OK, guys, which way?  The alley dead-ends to the west and runs east toward Lower Tower Road.  Once on Lower Tower, you can head north back toward the Brass Door, south toward Falasha, or east back toward Fountain Court.

The sun has nearly set.

Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 87 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Thu 5 Sep 2013
at 15:53
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Prior to departing the tenement:

Mack looks over the three knives and selects the best-looking of the trio, figuring it would service somewhat as a sword for his stature.  He offers up the other two knives and the mace to Felix with a questioning look.  If the big hobgoblin doesn't want them, Mack simply leaves them where they are.

He slides the set of lockpicks into his pocket, and leaves the egg sandwich for the rats.  He asks "Do you mind if I carry the coins, or would you prefer to?"

At departure out back of the tenement:

Mack says "We need to find a place to stay pretty quick.  This doesn't seem to be a good place to be out at night, even with that mace of yours.  Let's head down this alley <pointing east> and see if we can find a place.  I want to avoid the Brass Door for obvious reasons, but perhaps we can make our way back toward Fountain Court."  As they start walking, he asks Felix (and Marvin at the same time, hoping for some sort of sign from the crat) "Does that seem like a good plan to you?"
Felix
 player, 85 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Thu 5 Sep 2013
at 16:52
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix took both knives. "You hold the coin," he said. He nodded in agreement with the suggestion.
Marvin
 player, 43 posts
Fri 6 Sep 2013
at 17:20
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
When the girl fled Marvin briefly considered running after and trying to trip her, but the calm efficiency with which Felix had dispatched their assailants made him pause. Misunderstood dueling rules and self-defense were one thing, but what if he'd consider cold-blooded murder as well? And Mack had shown something of a take-no-prisoners approach as well.

When Felix started bashing in heads, Marvin was quite glad he'd not given chase. He had never seen a person die before and now he was up to 4 in just one evening, that was quite enough.

"Does that seem like a good plan to you?"  Marvin briefly considers Mack's question and then jumps at his backpack and scrambles onto his shoulder, whispering as quietly as he can into Mack's ear.

OOC: I put what Marvin whispers in a private line to the GM, go on and decide whether or not Mack has to roll some check to see if he understands all of it, part of it, or nothing. Marvin is whispering straight into Mack's ear, but also very very quietly so Felix won't hear him talk.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:17, Sat 07 Sept 2013.

Gamemaster
 GM, 563 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 09:31
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix, Mack, and Marvin make their way down the alley and, after looking out to see if they can see any sign of the watch, they trot up Lower Tower Road, making a right onto Fountain Court Road.  Dusk is settling in, and they see no signs of watchmen.  In fact, the three haven’t seen any guards at all during their time here in Northside.

They arrive at Fountain Court without incident.  The beggars who had been present earlier in the day are gone, as are the street vendors.  The fountain still bubbles up in the middle of the square.  Fountain Court Road continues to the east toward Fishburgers.  Another road runs to the north, and a third street runs northwest, a tower visible down the block.

OOC:  OK, you’ve made your way back to Fountain Court.  You can go west in the direction you came, east toward Fishburgers and Varley’s, north, or northwest toward a pale tower in the distance.
Felix
 player, 86 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 00:26
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
"I think we should go this way," said Felix, looking northwest. He turned to his companions, awaiting their response before heading towards the tower.
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 88 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 05:29
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Mack was a bit taken aback by Felix' sudden initiative, but he liked to see it and decided to run with it, as it were.  So he responded with a hearty "Seems as good as any other option to me, Felix.  I'm with you."
Gamemaster
 GM, 566 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Sun 15 Sep 2013
at 18:28
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
The gnome, the crat, and the hobgoblin make their way up the street, Marvin riding along perched on Mack's shoulder.  The sun has set by now, and the streets are less busy than they were before.  To their right, they can gradually see more of the pale tower until they are passing by its base.  The tower stands about fifty feet high and about eighteen feet across.  It is made of dull gray stone.  It is still imposing even amidst the decay of Northside.

The only visible entrance is a flight of stone stairs that leads up to a solid double oak door bound with iron.  No windows are visible from street level.

OOC:  OK, now what?  Continue up the street, or check the pale tower out?
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 89 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Tue 17 Sep 2013
at 01:33
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Glancing up at the pale tower as the approach it, Mack involuntarily shudders and says "I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really interested in spending the night there.  I hope that wasn't what you had in mind, Felix?"
Felix
 player, 87 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Tue 17 Sep 2013
at 02:19
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
"Maybe they think we don't want to stay there, so they won't look for us there," said Felix. "Don't want more visitors."
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 90 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Wed 18 Sep 2013
at 02:49
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
"Well", Mack began, "it's hard to argue with not wanting more visitors.  I certainly don't either.  And the last tower we were in ended up being pretty harmless.  But I just don't have a good feeling about it."  Stopping to think for a moment, Mack decides "Ok, how about this.  Let me go in by myself first.  Maybe I can sneak in and see how things look, and then come back to get you if it looks ok.  Sound like a plan?"

As Mack is speaking to Felix, he's pacing back and forth.  He takes a moment in there somewhere when his back is sort of turned to Felix to ask Marvin to follow him into the building to help scout.

OOC:  I'm going to roll a few things here, on the off-chance you need them, Gamemaster:

Camoflauge: 21:50, Today: Angus ''Mack'' Gheever rolled 10 using 3d6 with rolls of 4,5,1. Camoflauge, if necessary.

Stealth: 21:50, Today: Angus ''Mack'' Gheever rolled 8 using 3d6 with rolls of 1,2,5. Stealth, if necessary.

Traps/TL3:21:51, Today: Angus ''Mack'' Gheever rolled 12 using 3d6 with rolls of 6,4,2. Traps/TL3, if necessary.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Wed 18 Sept 2013.

Felix
 player, 88 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Wed 18 Sep 2013
at 16:53
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix shrugged. "Okay," he said. "But if you get in trouble, I can't help you from down here."
Gamemaster
 GM, 567 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Thu 19 Sep 2013
at 10:08
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Intending to explore the pale tower to ascertain whether it would make a safer place to lie low, Mack ascends the steps.  He carefully checks for traps, but finding none, he pushes on the door.  It swings open, and so the gnome advances inside and out of sight of Felix and Marvin.

Outside, Marvin sits down on his haunches and looks up at the big hobgoblin, then looks back to the tower where Mack has disappeared into.  NIght has fallen, and the streets of Northside are mostly deserted now, save for a few late stragglers driffing home from the districts bars and restaurants.   All is quiet.

OOC:  OK, Felix and Marvin, let me know what you're going to do while Mack checks out the tower.
Felix
 player, 89 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Fri 20 Sep 2013
at 07:27
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix scratched himself and looked around, trying to keep an eye out for trouble. He sat next to Marvin and began scratching behind his ears.

"You're a brave one, little guy," he said. The hobgoblin still failed to realize that this creature was, in all likelihood, smarter than him. "Let me know if you hear anything coming, okay . . .? Ah . . . what was his name . . ."

If anything suspicious happens, Felix will dart inside with Marvin and shut the door.
Gamemaster
 GM, 570 posts
 Keep calm
 And carry on
Sun 22 Sep 2013
at 09:00
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
The little crat concentrates so intently on Felix's words that the hobgoblin almost thinks that the little feline can understand him.  The door to the tower closes quietly, and the two wait outside in the gathering dark for a couple of minutes until the door opens again and Mack emerges.

OOC:  The interior of the tower is completely dark other than what is illuminated from the door.  If the three of you wish, you can hole up in the room just inside the entrance, but you'll need some light to see, even those of you with Night Vision.
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 93 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 01:47
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
As Mack slips back out of the tower, he locates Felix and Marvin and describes the room to Felix, including the stairs and door on the southern side.  "It seemed completely empty, but I don't have a torch or anything like that to help me to see better.  It's extremely dark in there.  Do you have a torch?"
Felix
 player, 90 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 04:11
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
"No torch, but I can see okay in dark, as long as not pitch dark," he said. "Should I lead the way?"
Marvin
 player, 45 posts
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 05:35
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
When Felix mentions he sees well in the dark, Marvin's eyes gleam, and he whispers, "Meow," not like a cat mewling, but he actually says the word.  He looks toward the tower, and then looks down the street.  Then, he hops up on Mack's shoulder and perches there, bending close to Mack's ear.  Very softly, the crat seems to whisper in Mack's ear.
Angus ''Mack'' Gheever
 player, 94 posts
 "Mack" Gheever
 bulbous-nosed gnome
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 17:20
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Mack thinks on what Marvin privately pointed out and quickly agrees with it.  Out loud, he says "Well Felix...to be honest, I'd be extremely uncomfortable being in there with as dark as it is.  You and the cat would probably be reasonably at home, but I'd be blind as a bat.  It's REALLY dark with no windows.  Even just being right inside the door here, I doubt I'd get any sleep.  Unfortunately, our options are pretty limited at this point."

He takes a moment to consider things before asking "Do you remember any hostels or other possibilities around Fishburger's when we were there?  I was paying attention to the street urchins so much that I didn't really notice much else."
Felix
 player, 91 posts
 Hobgoblin
 Brute
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 02:12
Re: Part 1a - On the Lam
Felix raises an eyebrow at Marvin, intrigued by the nigh humanoid speech. He shook his head. "Uh . . . Felix don't remember much . . ." he said. "He protect you here, but if elsewhere he follow you. . . ."

OOC:  Felix, Mack, and Marvin's adventure continues in "Mordag's Little Finger."

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:48, Sat 28 Sept 2013.