Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
The Ferryman
Mon 13 Sep 2010
at 20:55
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"Who? The madman who was shouting at you and ranting about the end of the world?" the ferryman asks while rolling his eyes to indicate how he feels about the madman's predictions.

"That was Ulthar the Unstable. Not sure what you could possibly want to talk to him for. Most people avoid that as much as possible since his mind went south a few years back. He crosses here 'most every day so I imagine he lives in some hovel over yonder in 'the pit.'"
Connor Dugan
 player, 326 posts
 Human Vagabond
Mon 13 Sep 2010
at 20:58
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"Can you take me across?" Connor asks the ferryman.
The Ferryman
Tue 14 Sep 2010
at 01:00
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"Sure, that's my job," the ferryman replies. "That'll be 1 shilling." After collecting the toll the ferryman takes Connor and his next load of passengers across the river to the north bank.

The south bank of the river had been lower class but the north bank takes things to a whole new level. Beyond the row of warehouses and the throngs of working stevedores the streets are unpaved and fouled by all manner of filth and ordure. Lining the streets are ramshackle buildings that look like they were in poor condition ten years ago. The homes are narrow and rundown and the taverns are of the cheap and nasty variety with low ceilings and smokey atmospheres. Dirty and distrustful faces can be seen peeking out from some of the few windows in the neighborhood or through the cracks in slightly ajar doors before being abruptly closed. Here and there a filthy bone picker digs through the trash left rotting in the street for a useful morsel.

"Welcome to The Pit," the ferryman says. "Enjoy your stay."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:40, Tue 14 Sept 2010.

Connor Dugan
 player, 328 posts
 Human Vagabond
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 00:45
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"Thank you sir, You will continue to run back and forth? I don't want to stay on this side of town to long." Once the ferrymen answers Connor looks around and calls to the closest urchin he can see and offers him a shilling if he can take Connor to Ulthar the Unstable's shack.
GM
 GM, 481 posts
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 01:58
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"We'll be runnin' back and forth 'til nightfall, then thrice through the night," the ferryman replies while ushering a couple of passengers onto his vessel.

A dirty, rail-thin boy of 10 years with a mess of filthy black hair dressed in tattered and muddy brown rags answers Connor's call. The lad eagerly accepts Connor's offer, saying, "'Fer a shimmy I'll give you the full tour," in a thick cockney accent before heading off to lead Connor through the narrow streets and twisting alleyways of the pit.
Connor Dugan
 player, 331 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 18:47
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"No need for full tour young Herr, just take me to the madman's quarters." Connor said to the boy.
GM
 GM, 482 posts
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 18:59
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
The street urchin points out the taverns along the route. They're all dim and smokey and the boy calls them by such charming names as, "The Dirty Dumpling," and "Whore's Rest."

"An' if you've got some extra coin to spend I'd recommend The Whore's Rest. Me mum could use the work- Ah, here we are," the boy says, gesturing to a crumbling lean-to shed constructed haphazardly from scavenged materials.
Connor Dugan
 player, 332 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 19:08
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
After Connor thanks the little scamp, he calls into the shack.

"Herr, are you home? I'd like to talk to you." Connor yells, after knocking on the wall of the shack.
GM
 GM, 484 posts
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 19:40
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
The young boy runs off happily with his new coin.

Connor's knocks go unanswered but the door to the shack swings open a few inches with an ominous creak.
Connor Dugan
 player, 333 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 19:46
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor pushes his way in and looks inside.
GM
 GM, 486 posts
Thu 16 Sep 2010
at 02:59
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
The sliver of light from the opened door cuts through the darkened hovel. Garbage is strewn across the ground and a full and stinking chamber pot sits in a corner next to a pile of rags that serve as Ulthar's bed. Fat black flies flit through the air filling the shack with the sound of their buzzing flight.

But all of that is forgotten for the moment as Connor's attention is drawn to the contorted form of the madman from the street corner laying in the middle of the dirt floor. A pool of crimson surrounds his head.
Connor Dugan
 player, 334 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Thu 16 Sep 2010
at 11:41
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
"Help, call the Guard!" Connor yells, as he bends down to see if he can help the man.



OOC:
07:40, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 9 using 1d10 with rolls of 9. points if only lightly...yeah right.
07:40, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 34 using 1d100 with rolls of 34. Heal Madman.

GM
 GM, 488 posts
Thu 16 Sep 2010
at 20:57
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Alas, it is too late for Ulthar the Unstable. Connor turns him over to find that his throat has been shredded into a bloody ruin. The madman's eyes gaze sightlessly towards the ceiling and his mouth is twisted into an expression of surprise and terror.
Connor Dugan
 player, 335 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Thu 16 Sep 2010
at 21:23
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor stands up and searches for clues while he waits for the guard, wondering how he was going to explain to the guard.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:51, Fri 17 Sept 2010.

GM
 GM, 490 posts
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 12:54
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
A search of the dead man's body and the filthy shack turns up few clues (but lots of flees), though Connor does discover an interesting silver pendant hanging around the man's neck. It is in the symbol of a stylized four petaled rose with a red stone set in the middle of it. There is some writing on the back of it but Connor lacks the education to make sense of the words.
Connor Dugan
 player, 337 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 15:08
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor pulls it of and makes his way to the ferry, when he sees a guard he will tell him he heard a scream from the mans shack.
GM
 GM, 492 posts
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 20:23
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor steps out of the shack and back into the alley, but he doesn't get far. 10 yards from the street a trio of figures step out to block Connor's path.

"Well what 'ave we got 'ere?" the first one says in a threatening tone. He's a tall and thickset man with a three day beard, a low sloping brow and only one ear. He smiles a sinister smile full of chipped and missing teeth. He crosses his arms in front of his chest and stands menacincly close to Connor. A set of brass knuckles adorn his hand.

"Looks like somebody took a wrong turn. Ain't that right jig?" the second man says, sounding eager to please the first. He's a short and scrawny looking man dressed in black rags with male pattern baldness, buck teeth and a narrow face.

"Jes' like I told you pa," the tiny third figure says. It's the street urchin who served as Connor's guide. "Got some mail and a bundle of brand new clothes, jes' like I said."

"You did good boy," the first man says, reaching down to roughly tussle his son's hair before glowering at Connor and saying, "I sure would look nice in those."
Connor Dugan
 player, 339 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 20:35
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor looks terrified at first, then, looking past the man suddenly smiles. "Looks like the guard I called finally arrived. Sorry chaps." As soon as they turn to glance Connor will run full tilt in the other direction, making his way back to the river.

OOC: I have fleet-footed. Wish me luck.
GM
 GM, 493 posts
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 20:39
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
ooc: Roll me an opposed charm test to see if they fall for your bluff or else they will get a chance to act, the same as if you were fleeing from melee range.
Connor Dugan
 player, 340 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 20:45
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
OOF: Failed it...damn.


GM
 GM, 494 posts
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 21:20
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
ooc: You actually managed to fool the street urchin and almost managed to fool the lead footpad too. They failed their WP rolls as well. For an opposed roll it's not required to 'make your roll' (at least the way I handle them), it just matters who has the most degrees of success/least degrees of failure. That being said, you've kind of gotten screwed by skills lately since you have neither perception nor charm. Luckily I'm about to post another round of XP right after this!

The kid looks back over his shoulder for the guards but the two robbers are a little more savvy and don't fall for the old 'look behind you' trick. "Get him!" the larger footpad yells as Connor turns to run. The first thug fails to follow his own advice however, and isn't quite quick enough to get a hand hold on Connor. His partner however, grabs hold of Connor's wrist and holds on tight. "Got 'im Jig!" he crows to the bigger man.

ooc: A successful grapple attack on Connor. Roll agility to worm away and flee. This one will be a straigh success/failure roll per the grappling rules.
Connor Dugan
 player, 341 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 21:29
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3

Agility is something I can do, I have 49 in it....well -10 for the mail shirt but still made it.
17:27, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 4 using 1d100 with rolls of 4. Grapple.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:29, Fri 17 Sept 2010.

GM
 GM, 497 posts
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 22:57
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
The nimble vagabond squirms and twists free from the smaller man's grasp then turns to flee down the alley and out into the street. The two robbers do their best to keep up but even with the extra weight of his mail armor Connor is too fast for them and begins to put some distance between them.

After a minute of running through narrow alleys and twisting corners Connor looks back to see his pursuers giving up on the chase. They slow to a trot and then come to a stop, leaning forward to catch their breath with their hands on their knees.
"I toldjya we shoulda covered both ends of the alley," the smaller man huffs to the larger. The big man named Jig just sneers and punches the smaller man hard in the shoulder out of frustration. "Ow!"
Connor Dugan
 player, 342 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:7/13 FP:2/3 SB:3 TB:3
Fri 17 Sep 2010
at 23:06
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
Connor makes his way to the ferry, and while on it, takes the time to inspect the medallion more thoroughly.
GM
 GM, 501 posts
Sat 18 Sep 2010
at 09:06
Re: Shadows Over Bogenhafen Day 3
ooc: Another shilling for the ride back.



"Leaving so soon?" the ferryman asks with a knowing laugh as he poles the ferry back across the river to the south bank. Connor spends much of the trip turning the medallion over and over in his hands but discovers nothing new about it. It's a simple metal medallion with a red stone in the center of it and an inscription written on the back.