Return to the Capital.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 807 posts
Sun 18 Sep 2011
at 11:41
Return to the Capital
Altdorf smells even worse than you remembered, if that's even possible. Maybe it's the weather getting warmer, but the pungent aroma is downright distracting as it fills your nostrils with the stink of urine, dung, vomit, and the wet smells of fish and algae coming from the riverfront.

After passing under the great arch and massive portcullis that guards the entrance to the city by way of the Reik, you are waved over to the quay by two groups of filthy, competing dock workers. They shout invitations towards the Incognito and insults at each other as they jostle and shove one another for position and a chance at earning some pay. For a moment it looks as though a brawl might break out until a well dressed man pushes his way through the crowd with an air of importance. He wears a baggy purple velvet hat, yellow hose under short red pants and a brocade doublet. In his hand he carries a four foot staff wrapped in black and white stripes that he uses to sort out the unruly dock workers with sharp jabs to the ribs and the occasional rap across the shins. The staff is a symbol of his office as a dock inspector and collector of associated maritime taxes.

The inspector strides up the gangplank onto the Incognito and looks around at the unusual looking crew with an expression of casual curiosity before inquiring, "Where is the captain of this vessel? I'm here to learn of the cargo you are bringing into the city."
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 367 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Sun 18 Sep 2011
at 17:01
Re: Return to the Capital
Svlad finishes docking and heads to meet the dock master.  "Permission to come aboard Herr Dockmaster.  That would be me.  We bring cargo of wool to your...fair city."
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 18 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Sun 18 Sep 2011
at 19:53
Re: Return to the Capital
Grimgrin looked over the docks. He had just left Altdorf after the death of Marie and the kidnapping of her mistress. The pang of loss was a dull pain in a dwarf but it lasted a long time in their hard hearts. He had not known Marie long but he had cared for her.

Now he would have a chance to visit her grave and make the proper offerings to her. He had all but emptied his purse to see her buried in Morr's Garden and protected by the manling's God of death.

He would also have a chance to make offerings to Morr to see to the protection of his slain friend.

Much death had come to his life as of late. It seemed a good idea to make a friend of Morr.
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 483 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Sun 18 Sep 2011
at 20:15
Re: Return to the Capital
Ulrich let Connor pout in the corner for a while he turned his attention to the Dockmaster. He walks up to stand next to Svlad, but lets the sailor lead the talking for now.
GM
 GM, 808 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2011
at 07:15
Re: Return to the Capital
"Hmmm, a hold full of wool...," the dock inspector muses while cocking his head to the side and scrunching up one eye while doing some mental calculations. "...for a vessel of this size..."

"That will be 10 crowns, 8 shillings in taxes, tariffs, and docking fees," he says at last with a nod.
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 368 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Tue 20 Sep 2011
at 11:16
Re: Return to the Capital
"Right.  I will be with you in a moment with the payment Herr Dockmaster."  Svlad gathers up his crew and gives them the "good" news about the fees.  Lowering his voice so that the dockmaster cannot hear- "I have two crowns....throw in what you have and let us hope that the cargo is worth more."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 484 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Tue 20 Sep 2011
at 14:48
Re: Return to the Capital
Ulrich puts a hand on Svlads arm to stop him. "One minute, let me handle this." he whispers back.

He then addresses the dockmaster "Herr Dockmaster, I am Ulrich von Wolfenstein, representative of the Segel family who are the proud owners of this vessel. I believe there may have been a mistake. According to my calculations the fee's amount to 4 crowns and 3 shillings. If i recall, then in section 10a paragraph 23b of revision 203 of the Merchants Guild bylaws of Altdorf it says that any merchant travelling withing 5 days of the end of a grand festival in a city, that has an exclusive trade agreement in place with Altdorf, is spared the common tarifs and taxes to ensure that the capital receives the newest and greatest wares of such festival. We have come from Bogenhafen where Schaffenfest has just ended and there for exempt of the normal situation."
Imrak Ragnar
 player, 223 posts
 14/14 W 0/4 FP
 58/37/3/5 b/l/h:3 a: 1
Tue 20 Sep 2011
at 14:53
Re: Return to the Capital
Imrak will grumble has he throws in 2 crowns.  "I can spare another if needed, but gonna need ta get tis chainmail fixed up."
Dock Inspector
Wed 21 Sep 2011
at 07:24
Re: Return to the Capital
The dock inspector looks a bit confounded by Ulrich's unexpected "mastery" of the Altdorf tax code. From the look on his face it's clear that the man has never heard of any such provision. However, he seems to be taken in by Ulrich's bluff and doesn't want to lose face by admitting ignorance. "Right... section 10," he says quickly. "My mistake... 4 crowns, 3 shillings it is then."

After collecting his fee the dock inspector was quick to leave. It would be several days before he would learn that the Schaffenfest ended more than two weeks prior and learn that he had been made a fool.

ooc: Made a charm test for Ulrich at +20. Don't worry about dividing up the cost right now. We'll just take it out of your wool money since a buyer will be easy to find here.
Connor Dugan
 player, 483 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP4/4 SB:3 TB:3
Sun 25 Sep 2011
at 00:01
Re: Return to the Capital
"So Otto, since we have some time to waste, what is the oddest things you've seen chasing rats." Connor said, digging in his kit for his hook and line. "I'm sure you've seen the seedy underbelly of a few of the Empire's cities." he said with a smile. He was glad that Otto had stayed, out of the other member's of the group, he got along best with the young rat catcher.
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 369 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Sun 25 Sep 2011
at 01:04
Re: Return to the Capital
"Right.  Nice work with fooling that mensch Ulrich.  Now don't you lubbers get into trouble out there.  I'll guard the boat with the others...and don't forget to bring me back something nice.  Don't forget to ask after the wool too."

Svlad sets about securing the boat and double checking everything.
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 19 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Sun 25 Sep 2011
at 06:08
Re: Return to the Capital
Grimgrin looked about then spoke. "If you all don't need me I am going to head over to Morr's Garden and say a few prayers."
Imrak Ragnar
 player, 224 posts
 14/14 W 0/4 FP
 58/37/3/5 b/l/h:3 a: 1
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 11:43
Re: Return to the Capital
Imrak seems quite impressed with the bluff. He pats Ulrich on the back "Eh, sum fancy lip work ther.  You wit me next time I can't pay ta bill.  I will be heading ta an armorer, need ta get this Mail fixed up."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 485 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 15:03
Re: Return to the Capital
Ulrich grins as the dockmaster disappears into the crowd impressed with his own performance "Alright, lets get going. We need the wool sold, if we can find something of worth we might as well fill the boat with goods for Kemperbad. Also need to get information regarding the death of the heir of Ostland. Anyone need anything specific?" he asks the group.
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 20 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 16:43
Re: Return to the Capital
"I can ask about your dead noble at Morr's Garden. They might know something." Grimgrin said to the noble.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:14, Fri 23 Nov 2012.

Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 492 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Fri 23 Nov 2012
at 00:26
Re: Return to the Capital
"I suggest we all meet back here at 6 bells in the evening and go out and celebrate after that." Ulrich suggest in an exciting voice.

Altdorf was awaiting!
Paulus Greenbottom
 NPC, 255 posts
 Ag 45 WS29 BS54 SB2 TB2
 W11/12, FP0/3
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 13:55
Re: Return to the Capital
"I'll come with you," Paulus says, hurrying to keep up with the much taller noble. He wanted to make sure they got a fair price on that wool.
GM
 GM, 815 posts
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 14:18
Re: Return to the Capital
Ulrich, Grimgrin, Paulus, and Imrak disembark and join the tides of people flowing through the streets of the capital as they go about their business. The people themselves are a varied lot, coming from every social class. One moment they find themselves jostling against a mud covered beggar and the next they are making way for an opulent carriage full of dark eyed and alien faced elves.

Imrak finds his way to Armourer's Way and finds a craftsman willing to repair his mail easily enough. He tells the dwarf that he'll have his apprentice work on the job and it will be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Paulus and Ulrich find their way to one of the commodities market buildings along the river where merchants gather to swap wares. A rail thin merchant in practical clothing approaches them just minutes after they arrive and makes them an offer on their cargo. 850 crowns for the entire supply.

Grimgrin arrives at Marie's grave. It has remained well kept by devoted of Morr. Her wooden grave marker is not yet showing signs of wear and the flowers the dwarf left on his last visit have been cleared away.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:48, Thu 29 Nov 2012.

Connor Dugan
 player, 488 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP4/4 SB:3 TB:3
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 20:04
Re: Return to the Capital
Rigging up his hook and line and placing a bit of food on the hook, Connor threw it over the railing of the ship. He sat on one of the boxes on the barge, and took a relaxed posture. "I hope this whole mess of mistaken Identity gets fixed soon, I'm tired of being attacked, or watching for an attack." he said to Otto, looking at the purple on his hand. (Has the mark faded at all?)

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Sat 24 Nov 2012.

Svlad Sejelli
 player, 375 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 20:09
Re: Return to the Capital
Svlad has been quite busy helping with the ship but takes a few minutes to take a break as he watches some of the others head off into the city.  He watches Connor fish and leans on the railing as he watches the crowds and takes it all in.