Up the Reik.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 522 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 14:57
Re: Up the Reik
"I saw that path too, I think that is a safe place to start looking.". The noble was donning his studded armor on the boat while the conversation was going on,. When it was securely fitted he grabbed his weapons and secured them to his belt, his beloved saber and trusted main-gauche.  He swung his backpack on his back and adjusted it.

"Everyone ready?"
Lothar Gluhend
 player, 30 posts
 Ag39 SB3 TB4 1H/1A/1B/0L
 W13/13 F3/3
Sat 20 Aug 2016
at 10:02
Re: Up the Reik
Lothar would have left his backpack, but indeed they would most likely spend the next couple of nights in the tower, so he would need his bedroll, or at least prefer to have it with him.

As they walked towards the construction site they could see the expectant looks of the dwarven workers and engineers. Lothar politely nodded to each of them in greeting.
"Shall we first look for that path end?", he said and actually went there not waiting for a response.
Once there he carefully searched the immediate area.

OOC
Do you roll Perception/Search yourself or shall I supply a roll?
I made a roll anyway, just ignoremit if you prefer to roll yourself.

GM
 GM, 844 posts
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 09:01
Re: Up the Reik
The path leads to the base of the signaling device's tower. From here you can see that the dwarves are building on top of the ruins of an older, pre-existing structure, making use of the foundation of the old tower to give them a head start. The foundation itself is made of blocks of weathered old gray stone.

The foundation extends approximately 6 feet above the ground here where the path ends, running directly into the wall with no sign of an entrance.
Lothar Gluhend
 player, 31 posts
 Ag39 SB3 TB4 1H/1A/1B/0L
 W13/13 F3/3
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 10:03
Re: Up the Reik
Lothar pondered the site, the material used, the style of construction and tried to determine about the origin, history even, of the original site. Was this made in early Imperial times or even Dwarf made? If no entrance was to be found it spoke of either uncanny construction or magick. Maybe it was indeed of Elven design?
The guard shared his thoughts and findings with his companions.
To the dwarves who still looked at them he said.
"Did you check whether there is some hollow space behind this seeming entrance? Surely you are more knowledgable of stones and construction than I will ever be."
"Also, was there some kind of floor you build your own construction upon? Or was it just remains of walls? Did you also check there for hollowness? Surely you did, to come to the conclusion that it's sturdy enough."
"Did you bring your own stones or did you use a nearby quarry?"
"How far did you range the surrounding area?"
, he finished his barrage of questions.
To his companions he added more silently.
"Surely we agree that a dwarf would not have just fled the site. Unless they were really afraid. I don't really believe this is a haunt of ghosts. Never have I heard of ghosts completely spiriting away people. It must be a corporal threat and thus there must be an entrance."
Imrak Ragnar
 player, 235 posts
 14/14 W 0/4 FP
 58/37/3/5 b/l/h:3 a: 1
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 20:37
Re: Up the Reik
"It fell dern, sose it tern't any Dorfen construction," (It fell down, so it wasn't of any Dwarven construction) Imrak replies to Lothar's voiced ponderings on the origin of the ruins.
Dorin Isembeard
 NPC, 12 posts
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 20:46
Re: Up the Reik
"We did some preliminary testing of this foundation for hollowness and stability and as far as we can tell, it's solid," The dwarf foreman replies.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:48, Mon 22 Aug 2016.

Bardin the Mason
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 20:47
Re: Up the Reik
"We weren't going to go drilling into the foundation to explore too deeply though, lest we destabilize things and make the site unusable." another of the dwarf laborers adds.
Dorin Isembeard
 NPC, 13 posts
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 20:56
Re: Up the Reik
"We're using the top of the foundation as the floor for out new first level," Dorin continues in explanation.

"There were a few bits of crumbled wall still standing when we got here but they looked like they'd fall over in a light breeze so we knocked them down."

"The stone we're building with isn't local. We've been having it shipped in on the river."

"How far have we ranged? Not far. There's a village a few miles from here where we've occasionally traded for some supplies. That's about it."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 523 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Tue 23 Aug 2016
at 04:43
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich listens to the dwarves as he examines the base of the tower where the path ends.
GM
 GM, 845 posts
Tue 23 Aug 2016
at 21:00
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich's inspections reveal nothing new. The path, though badly overgrown from years of disuse, just seems to end at a solid wall of rock when it reaches the foundation of the ruins the dwarves are building on.
Connor Dugan
 player, 504 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP4/4 SB:3 TB:3
Wed 24 Aug 2016
at 02:09
Re: Up the Reik
"Is it just dwarves here? Or do you have human workers?" Connor asked, distracted, still watching the spot where he last saw their stalkers. "Maybe we shouldn't be checking the tower, I mean Dwarves know stone right? Check the ground, see if there are tracks from people besides the workers. It'll at least tell us if other people have been about."
Dorin Isembeard
 NPC, 14 posts
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 01:36
Re: Up the Reik
"Aye, just Dwarves," the foreman replies. "Me and my 6 remaining workers."
GM
 GM, 846 posts
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 01:38
Re: Up the Reik
A search of the ground around the work site reveals no tracks that raise any suspicions. There is a lot of foot traffic around the construction itself and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary in the vicinity.
Lothar Gluhend
 player, 32 posts
 Ag39 SB3 TB4 1H/1A/1B/0L
 W13/13 F3/3
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 08:42
Re: Up the Reik
"Then there simply must be something beneath the tower.", he said and made for the interior.
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 524 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 16:20
Re: Up the Reik
"Lets check the tower and stay with the dwarves overnight. We need to post sentries though."
GM
 GM, 848 posts
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 07:39
Re: Up the Reik
A blueprint of a semaphore tower. The one you're dealing with here is a little different because they're using some pre-existing construction to save time (and money) but this might give you a better idea of what you're dealing with and the function of the device.

GM
 GM, 849 posts
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 08:16
Re: Up the Reik
You enter the ground floor of the signal tower, which houses the signal fire and mirror; and which is to support the wooden pylon with the signaling arms. The tower has already been fitted with most of the equipment that it needs to function, though there is not yet any roof and the wooden upper structure has yet to be completed.

Floor Map


It is from here that the two construction workers disappeared last night which prompted the other dwarves to nearly go on strike. The packs of the missing laborers still lie forgotten in a corner (ooc: A search reveals no clues).

The remaining few hours of the day pass without event. The dwarves return to their labors, appeased now that somebody seems to be looking into the disappearances and recent accidents in earnest rather than blaming the workers themselves. When night falls though, the laborers all refuse to sleep in the tower, preferring instead to camp outside.

It is the middle of the night and you're in a deep sleep when you hear what sounds like distant barking. It is the sharp yelp that finally drags you into wakefulness and you sit upright as you realize that it's the sound of 'Ein', Otto's little terrier dog. You shake the fog of sleep from your head and see a six and a half foot tall gaunt, shadowy figure in long black robes and a concealing hood looming over the stationary bodies of Grimgrin and Otto, the current shift of sentries. An ancient, thin bladed sword hangs from the figure's right hand, wet with blood from the lifeless terrier at his feet.

You watch in horror as the figure crouches over Otto and caresses his left hand across Otto's face causing the young rat catcher to stiffen and twist in pain, his mouth clenched tight into a rictus of agony. All the while, the figure seems to be whispering something in some foul, forgotten tongue.

As you scramble to your feet the figure's head snaps up, though you can still see nothing within that shadowy hood. Realizing it's been discovered, the creature lets out a screeching hiss not of this world and rises up to it's full height.
GM
 GM, 852 posts
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 08:46
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein, rolled 46
Lothar Gluhend, rolled 45
Svlad Sejelli, rolled 45
Connor Dugan, rolled 40
Imrak Ragnar, rolled 35
Shadowy Figure, rolled 35


Everyone starts standing and with weapon nearby but not in hand. Nobody is wearing metal armor currently. Creature causes fear so a Willpower test must be made in order to take an action. PCs don't need to follow strict initiative order. Everyone beat the bad guy so you guys can go in any order as you see fit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:54, Sat 27 Aug 2016.

Lothar Gluhend
 player, 34 posts
 Ag39 SB3 TB4 1H/1A/1B/0L
 W13/13 F3/3
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 17:25
Re: Up the Reik
Fear: Success
HA: Ready Sword
HA: Ready Shield
Parry (vs 1st): Success
Dodge (vs 2nd): Failure

Lothar looked aghast at the uncanny creature, taking in the blood beneath Otto's faithful dog. A small dog that had always been under foot and one he almost become accustomed to. Was it still alive ? They would need to check later, now this hooded something had noticed larger prey: themselves.
Grimly, the temple guard picked up both his shield and his weapon and prepared to defend himself.
Connor Dugan
 player, 505 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP3/4 SB:3 TB:3
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 19:13
Re: Up the Reik
Connor's mouth dropped open and his eyes widened as he was paralyzed with fear.

15:11, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 41 -- 1 degree of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 31.  fp reroll .
15:11, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 62 -- 3 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 31.  Willpower.

Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 525 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 05:12
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich had been tossing and turning in his sleep all night. Waking up to the commotion, the the dead dog and the shadowy creature seemed too much for the young noble. He let out scream and clumsily backed away while attempting to draw his weapons.
Imrak Ragnar
 player, 236 posts
 14/14 W 0/4 FP
 58/37/3/5 b/l/h:3 a: 1
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 12:15
Re: Up the Reik
Imrak readies his axe and shield and meets the look of the hooded figure with a challenging glare of his own.
Svlad Sejelli
 NPC, 390 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 12:16
Re: Up the Reik
Svlad stares in shocked fear, his limbs suddenly feeling heavy.
Paulus Greenbottom
 NPC, 259 posts
 Ag 45 WS29 BS54 SB2 TB2
 W11/12, FP0/3
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 12:18
Re: Up the Reik
Paulus bravely picks up his sling, loads it, and begins whirling it around his head.
GM
 GM, 854 posts
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 12:24
Re: Up the Reik
The shadowy black figure glides forward, seemingly without moving it's feet. It draws back it's ancient blade and stabs it at Lothar's belly, but the temple guard is able to turn the strike aside with the edge of his shield. The air seems to grow colder as the blade passes by.

ooc: New round.