Up the Reik.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 826 posts
Fri 7 Dec 2012
at 21:03
Up the Reik
Bezahltag, 28th of Pflugzeit. Afternoon.

The Incognito sailed out of Altdorf the day before yesterday and now it glides slowly up the Reik river through a verdant landscape of dense forests. It's been overcast most of the day and the gray clouds overhead have been threatening a spring shower at any minute.

You passed a few outlying villages outside of Altdorf yesterday morning and then Castle Reiksgard in the evening. The castle was every bit the towering stone fortress you had heard it would be and the castle's battlements bristled with guards decked out in bright armour and the Emperor's royal colors. Here and there a bombard barrel could be seen sticking threateningly through the crenellations. If the rumors are to be believed, the castle is also the current home of the reclusive heir to the Empire, though opinions differ on whether he is in hiding there or a prisoner there. When you stopped in the village outside the castle for the night one villager even suggested that the prince was locked in the castle for his own protection and that his brothers are out to have him assassinated.

As the Incognito presses on it's journey, the crew catches occasional glimpses of a pair of riders who are following along behind them on the tow path. They keep a good distance but you've gotten enough cumulative looks at them to confirm that these appear to be the same riders who have been following your path since Weissbruck.



You're about 15 miles past Castle Reiksgard today when you notice a most incongruous sight. Westwards, the grassy slope of a low hillock peeps above the top of the river embankment, it's dome-like crest crowned by an odd looking construction. The ruins of an ancient tower whose preturnaturally smooth stones reflect the light in a dull sheen, have become the foundations for a most unlovely granite edifice of undoubted Dwarven construction. And overall, perched on the very top like some giant wooden stick insect, is a configuration of beams, stanchions, ropes, and pulleys. The mass of wooden scaffolding which surrounds the whole structure, and over which swarm several short, bearded, tool-wielding figures, indicates that the work is not yet finished.
GM
 GM, 827 posts
Fri 7 Dec 2012
at 21:14
Re: Up the Reik
As The Incognito draws closer to the riverside tower two dwarves run down to the work site's landing stage and begin waving frantically towards you. As the riverboat comes within earshot they call out, "Oy, give us a lift! We can pay!" and one of the dwarfs holds up a bulging purse.
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 33 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Sat 8 Dec 2012
at 00:11
Re: Up the Reik
Spotting the two Dwarves, Grimgrin calls back in Khalizhad
The Dwarves
Sat 8 Dec 2012
at 08:39
Re: Up the Reik
"We need you to take us to Nuln!" the fatter of the two dwarfs shouts back.

"Or Nuln!" shouts the bald one.

"Don't much care really! Just get us out of here!" the first one amends.
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 34 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Sat 8 Dec 2012
at 09:25
Re: Up the Reik
"I will ask the captain, but it will cost you." Grimgrin said in reply.

"Captain these dwarves are looking for a ride to Nuln."
Connor Dugan
 player, 493 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP4/4 SB:3 TB:3
Sat 8 Dec 2012
at 19:58
Re: Up the Reik
Connor kept a sullen lookout for the two riders, sure that it was him that they were after. He kept his bow in his hands as he sat on a barrel near the back of the ship. When the Dwarfs came down to the edge of the water and Grimgrin went to talk the Captain, Connor leaned over the edge to talk to the pair.
"What's going on that you need to leave in a hurry?"
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 381 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Sat 8 Dec 2012
at 21:23
Re: Up the Reik
Svlad slows the ship and looks at the two Dwarvs that are hailing them.  He grabs a pole and tosses it to whomever is closest to him.

"Use it to make sure that the water is deep enough to clome close enough to shore.  This could be a trap to run us aground, and if not we stull need to be careful."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 501 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Sun 9 Dec 2012
at 00:17
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich catches the pole and positions himself next to the railing. He measures the depth and relays it back to Svlad as the boat closes to the small pier.

"Folks, be ready. he tells the rest of the crew in case the dwarves get aggressive.
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 35 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Sun 9 Dec 2012
at 01:11
Re: Up the Reik
"Prepare to come aboard and to pay for the privlage brother dwarves." Grimgrin called to the dwarves.
GM
 GM, 828 posts
Sun 9 Dec 2012
at 13:09
Re: Up the Reik
The dwarves ignore Connor's question and keep casting glances over their shoulder towards the work site. When The Incognito reaches the dock they quickly climb aboard and motion for you to depart with haste.

Meanwhile, another dwarf is running down the bank. Being somewhat overweight, he is gasping for breath, and his face is almost as red as the voluminous britches he wears. The two dwarves on the deck fall silent and stare down at their feet at this new dwarf's arrival.

"Unless-GASP! WHEEZE!- you want to be listed as-COUGH! SPUTTER!- deserters-GASP!- you'll get back to the site right now!" the rotund dwarf on the dock angrily forces out while leaning over with his hands on his knees.
The two dwarves
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 02:41
Re: Up the Reik
The pair of dwarf workers look sheepish as they reluctantly disembark the Incognito and make their way back up the path toward the construction site.
Dorin Isembeard
 Dwarf Foreman, 1 post
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 02:55
Re: Up the Reik
The dwarf on the dock gives his two workers a disgusted look and a shake of his head as they pass by. He then turns back to The Incognito and says, "Right, sorry about all that fuss. The name's Dorin Isembeard, and I'm the foreman here. Afraid I'm in the middle of a bit of a morale crisis here with my workers."
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 36 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 03:01
Re: Up the Reik
"Morale problem so bad Dwarves are looking to escape their duty. What seems to be the problem brother dwarf." Grimgrin asked not liking that all this was being aired out in front of manlings.
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 502 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 03:59
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich keeps the boat close to the pier as he listens to the conversation. He keeps his gaze on the two dwarves walking back to their work site.
Dorin Isembeard
 Dwarf Foreman, 2 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 08:55
Re: Up the Reik
"Ach, we've been plagued with trouble from the start," Dorin says bitterly. "I've had workers fall from the scaffolding, grow sick with some sort of paralysing sickness, and disappear without a trace during the night," the foreman ticks off his woes on his fingers as he speaks. "I started off with 12 engineers and now I'm down to 6 and what I have left is demanding danger pay and worried that we're building on some kind of cursed elven burial ground."

"I tell you, I'm at my wits end. If I don't finish this signaling device on schedule my reputation will be ruined!" The foreman roars this last bit back toward the tower as he balls up his fists in frustration. Then his expression turns sly as if he has just had an idea. "Say, you look handy with a hammer," he says to Grimgrin. "What's your experience with construction?"
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 37 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 09:08
Re: Up the Reik
"I don't build stuff, I fix problems. So do my mates. How much you willing to pay to put an end to whatever is got your back against the wall?" Grimgrin said as he began to smell some gold to be made.
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 382 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 13:03
Re: Up the Reik
Svlad listens carefully and lets Grimgrin speak for them for now.  If there is gold to be made then they should listen as there are lots of expenses still to come.
Dorin Isembeard
 Dwarf Foreman, 3 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 21:40
Re: Up the Reik
Dorin looks skeptical for a moment but in the end his deperation wins out. Perhaps these travellers were just what he needs to change his luck. It was worth a shot anyhow. "If you can help me keep my workers in line I'll pay you 15 shillings a day per man. If this works out and we're able to finish on schedule there's 70 crowns in it for you. You figure out what happened to my missing workers and I'll throw in another 30."
Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 38 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 23:46
Re: Up the Reik
Grimgrin spared a glace to the others to see if this offer of work was to their liking. Irongrudge was of a mind to ask more but that was dwarven greed for you.
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 503 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Tue 11 Dec 2012
at 01:24
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich coughed and cleared his throat and then addressed the dwarf in a stern voice "My good dwarf. I am Ulrich von Wolfenstein and I am sure it was not your intention to insult the Brotherhood of Bogenhafen with your offer. This hearty pack of people in front of you is a band of the finest warriors and demon slayers that the Empire has ever seen.
If you are indeed building on an elven burial ground, beastman lair or a graveyard of chaos, then there is no better solution than the Brotherhood to help you solve it.
Unfortunately we are on our way south on urgent business, so unless your offer makes it worth our time, I am sorry to inform you that you will have to handle the issues with these evil creatures by yourself."


Ulrich didn't flinch as he eyed the dwarf on the pier.
Svlad Sejelli
 player, 383 posts
 14/15W 4/3 FP
 45/32/3/3 AP 1 All
Tue 11 Dec 2012
at 01:35
Re: Up the Reik
Svlad picks up his boarding axe and gives his palm a hearty smack with it and tries to look the part of Ulrich's description.  He spits over the side and lets the others do the talking for now.
Dorin Isembeard
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 11 Dec 2012
at 07:54
Re: Up the Reik
"You have me at a disadvantage sir," the dwarf foreman says regretfully. "Very well, I can go as high as a crown per day and 90 crowns on the construction's completion."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 504 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Tue 11 Dec 2012
at 16:12
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich seems to weight the dwarfs offer heavily prior to replying "How many days are you expecting this to take?"
Dorin Isembeard
 NPC, 5 posts
Tue 11 Dec 2012
at 21:33
Re: Up the Reik
"If I can get the lads to buckle down proper I hope to have her done in 7 days."
Ulrich Von Wolfenstein
 player, 505 posts
 Ag:41 Ar:0/2 WS:41 BS:36
 W:13/13 F:5/5 SB:3 TB:4
Wed 12 Dec 2012
at 06:28
Re: Up the Reik
Ulrich pretends to do some math and then nods solemnly.

"You have a deal, my good dwarf. Help us dock the boat and give us all the details of what has happened so far."
Imrak Ragnar
 player, 228 posts
 14/14 W 0/4 FP
 58/37/3/5 b/l/h:3 a: 1
Wed 12 Dec 2012
at 15:17
Re: Up the Reik
Imrak listens to the exchange, seems interested in the prospect of some time with his fellow dwarfs.  Unfortunately he is not good with a hammer, well, at least for masonry work.
Connor Dugan
 player, 494 posts
 Ag:39 Ar:1/3 WS:37 BS:51
 W:13/13 FP4/4 SB:3 TB:3
Wed 12 Dec 2012
at 17:04
Re: Up the Reik
While the others spoke, he looked behind the boat, trying to spot the two that had been following them for all this time. He was interested in seeing if the two would approach if they stayed in one place for 7 days.



12:04, Today: Connor Dugan rolled 30 using 1d100 with rolls of 30. Perception 42.

Grimgrin Irongrudge
 player, 40 posts
 Ag:31 WS:51 BS:31 Armor 2
 W:15/15 FP3/3 SB:4 TB:4
Thu 13 Dec 2012
at 01:48
Re: Up the Reik
Grimgrin nodded. The coin was not bad, especially if they could discover what was going on and what had happened to the missing dwarves.