Night Moves.   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 142 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Sun 29 Apr 2018
at 23:27
Re: Night Moves
  Chricton checks the rifles charge noting it full and ready. He keeps an eye out for the other vehicles.
The Marshall
 GM, 2661 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 4 May 2018
at 05:40
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 119):

The fog was now so thick the occupants of the rig and the technical could only see each other. The vehicles in the town which that were heard starting up remained completely unseen, although if they were as hampered by the fog as the posse they wouldn't be moving anywhere faster than a walking pace.

There was indistinct movement in the fog ahead but it was obscured by the mist. Suddenly, there was a scream of pain and horror! It seemed to be coming from somewhere close in front, about the location of the gate bunker. There was just a scream, no gunshots.

Marshall's Note: Anyone trying to determine details can make a Search or Cognition check, whichever is higher.
Increase Trask
 player, 211 posts
 Robo Hunter
Fri 4 May 2018
at 06:45
Re: Night Moves

Even though his sensors seemed to be acting up due to the fog or perhaps something else Trask gave them another whirl as the fog really closed in.

Increase Trask rolled 15 using 4d8, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of (8+7)15,5,1,4.  Cognition.

-
Peter Firecrow
 player, 869 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 4 May 2018
at 18:17
Re: Night Moves
Peter began to like the situation less and less. It was almost as if the fog was thickening in response to things, which was a more disturbing thought then when he'd wondered if the kudzu was sentient and trying to kill things off. He tried to shake things off and focus.

The scream made him flinch and he immediately pulled out his rifle. Over the radio to his allies he said, "I think things might be going southward. Get ready. Moving forward." Since Trask hadn't moved forward and Roadkill hadn't either, Peter decided he would.

Peter urged the truck forward towards the gate, moving slowly so as to avoid going off course in to the minefield.
Brother Edgar
 player, 203 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Wed 9 May 2018
at 09:05
Re: Night Moves

At the scream, just barely audible over the idling truck, Brother Edgar sat up straighter in the cab.  His hands tightened on the control rod as he stared into the mist, willing the fog to part, just for a moment.  Under his breath, he murmured a quiet entreaty to the Glow and Saint Darwin....
The Marshall
 GM, 2663 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 10 May 2018
at 01:05
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 122):

The horrified screaming somewhere up ahead (likely the bunker) began to take on a gargling quality, then stopped.

Not waiting for more, Peter put his technical into gear and the armoured gun truck began to ease forward towards the flimsy barricade hidden in the fog. Behind him Giles (the AI driver-bot) did the same and the rig also lurched forward, stacks shooting out greenish-black smoke as it geared up.

The mist parted a little, affording Edgar and Trask a brief glimpse from their vantage points of the bunker. A shadowy figure darted out of the position. It carried a battleaxe in its right hand and a bowling-ball-sized object swung from the other. The object was quickly flung towards the posse's convoy and the thrower seemed to disappear from view in the billowing mist. Surprising no one, the approaching object was not a bomb or weapon but the severed head of the poor nervous deputy formerly manning the checkpoint ahead. It tumbled through the air, blood spattering from the stump of his neck, just missing the hood of Peter's truck to the rigtt and bounding off the racked pavement with a hollow "THOCK!".

"LAST WARNING, ASSHOLES!"
came the taunting call from somewhere up ahead.

Marshall's Note: If Broother Edgar and Trask make a Quickness check TN7 then can get off a snapshot at the figure. The TN to hit will be high because of this and the poor visibility, but at least it's a chance!
Roadkill
 NPC, 709 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Thu 10 May 2018
at 01:18
Re: Night Moves
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 124):

Leaving the driving to Giles, the truck's AI, Roadkill pulled out his double-barrelled sawed-off and stuck the barrels out the driver's window slits, looking for a target.

"What the fuck? I can't see anything! Come on out, you dickweeds!"
Jane Guin
 NPC, 817 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 10 May 2018
at 01:25
Re: Night Moves
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 124):

Obviously seeing something in the fog, Jane fired a burst from the Ma-Deuce. The entire truck rattled with the shock of the heavy machinegun as shell casings fell into the bed. and the mist lit up with the muzzle flash. The gunfire echoed around them in a strange way. Jane seemed to be aiming for the figure with the axe who threw the head.

"Shit! Target front, danger close!"


18:21, Today: The Marshall, on behalf of Jane Guin, rolled 8 using 4d10, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 6,8,7,2.  Quickness check.

18:22, Today: The Marshall, on behalf of Jane Guin, rolled 10 using 5d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max ((3,2,8,8,10)).

Increase Trask
 player, 212 posts
 Robo Hunter
Thu 10 May 2018
at 02:14
Re: Night Moves

"Incoming." was all that Trask was able to utter before the head came towards the convoy, it would seem they have found their quarry. His rifle was already at his shoulder and had been the entire time they had been waiting, now it was up and firing at the figure.

Alis it would seem today was not his day to die and Trask probably misses the shot.

Increase Trask rolled 7 using 4d8, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1,2,7.  Quickness.

Increase Trask rolled 6 using 5d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 1,2,4,6,5.  Shootin.



-
Brother Edgar
 player, 205 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Thu 10 May 2018
at 07:27
Re: Night Moves
Brother Edgar's eyes widen at the sight of the shadow axeman, but moreso at the head thrown at them.  His glow flickered wildly at his rising anger at the wanton cruelty, but he took a deeper breath.  Refusing to be goaded into random action.  He said quietly, "Be still and aware.  Our enemy wants us to act rashly.  Don't."  The Doomsayer continued to stare into the mists as the small convoy rolled forward, trying to see the real threat before it came...
The Marshall
 GM, 2664 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 16 May 2018
at 04:48
Re: Night Moves
The small convoy rolled forwards into the fog as the severed head of the hapless deputy formerly manning the gate post up ahead. It was possible to make out an expression of terror on his face as blood sprayed from the severed stump as it thumped erratically along and disappeared under the front of the technical. Seeing the killer for an instant up ahead Trask cranked off a wild shot at the figure as it disappeared into the mist. Jane loosed off a burst to no observed effect.

Within a few seconds the technical bumped up against the arm of the traffic barrier blocking the road into the town. It was fairly sturdy being wood reinforced with metal, but there was a heavier reinforced gate that remained open behind it. For now.
Increase Trask
 player, 213 posts
 Robo Hunter
Wed 16 May 2018
at 04:56
Re: Night Moves

Trask kept his rifle pointing forward after missing the shot. He covered the gate and would take down anyone stupid enough to try and close it as the trucks moved forward. He was still getting a feed for his sensors flashing across his HUD so hopefully any movement to the sides would flash him a warning.

-
Peter Firecrow
 player, 871 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 17 May 2018
at 02:16
Re: Night Moves
Peter flinched when things got...messy. The severed head was uncalled for and pissed him off. He wasn't sure if the axe-carrying murderer had anything to do with the fog or not, and whether it was Kargo or not, but he no longer cared. The asshole needed to be put down regardless.

He backed the truck up as far as he could without actually hitting the semi. Then he revved the engine as much as he dared before popping it back in to gear and trying to ram through the reinforced arm over the gate.
Jane Guin
 NPC, 818 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 17 May 2018
at 02:47
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 131):

Seeing what was about to happen Jane first braced herself a the technical reversed until it was almost touching the rig. Looking down and behind she called out, "stop stop stop!" to let Peter know he'd gone as far back as he could.

Just before they started rolling again she swung the Ma-Deuce back around to the front and let loose a short burst near where the swing arm was mounted on the pedestal. All three full-metal-jacket .50-cal bullets struck the reinforced swing arm, shattering it. "Woo-hoo! Keep going, lover!" she called out to Peter as he drover over the fallen swing arm with a thump of wheels.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 143 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 17 May 2018
at 18:26
Re: Night Moves
  Chricton just keeps scanning for targets at this point. He waits for his chance knowing he likely will only get one maybe two shots before whatever it is gets to them all.
The Marshall
 GM, 2671 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 04:04
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 133):

The two vehicles drove slowly forward past the wrecked barrier into the mist, occupants desperately trying to see into the gloom.

Once inside the fenced-in centre of town they couldn't even make out the low 1-and 2-story brick and wooden buildings about a block down. Peter recalled there was a wholesaler on the left and a hardware store on the right, both large but single-story.

There was some shouting up ahead and then a screaming sound coming from dozens of throats. The sound was feral, hungry! They could see a ragged line of figures, rushing towards them within the fog, screaming and howling!

Marshall's Note: Players can take all their actions at once. Peter - 4, Trask - 2, Bro. Edgar - 2, Smoker - 2, Crichton - 2, Jane (NPC) - 5.

For everyone wishing to shoot, the range is 15 yards and there is a -4 for the mist. Crichton didn't make his Search check and is therefore caught a little flat-footed and is at a further -2 for Hip-Shootin'. As well there is no way to Draw a Bead (aim). Rodakill busted on his check so he is Surprised, but the rig's AI is still capable of driving.

Peter's Technical

Peter (Driving)
Jane (NPC) (Gunner, Ma Deuce)
Crichton (in truck bed, various Junker and mundane weapons)

Roadkill's Rig

Roadkill (NPC) (Cab, driving)
Brother Edgar (Cab, shotgun seat with Glow Stick)
Trask (top forward trailer gun position, NA SAW and/or ACR)
Smoker (top rear trailer gun position/M2HB)

Note, as the wave is coming from the front this means they are not in Smoker's line of fire with the trailer's rear-facing mounted weapon.

Smoker Nix
 player, 971 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 11:41
Re: Night Moves
Smoker, realising that the enemy is coming from the other side, resists the urge to start shooting into the mist and merely keeps overwatch against anyone trying to sneak around the back of their mini-convoy.
Increase Trask
 player, 215 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sun 3 Jun 2018
at 07:37
Re: Night Moves

Trask pulled his rifle into his shoulder as he pulled the trigger forward of the magazine and fires two 20mm HE grenades towards the line of crazies descending on the rig. He sets 20 mils to burst at head height above the line of targets.

Increase Trask rolled 13 using 5d12-4, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 4,9,7,5,(12+5)17.  Shootin.

Increase Trask rolled 6 using 5d12-4, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 10,10,7,4,10.  Shootin 2.

Increase Trask rolled 9 using 4d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 4,6,5,9. = 24 Damage.

Increase Trask rolled 8 using 4d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5,5,8.  = 24 Damage.


-

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Mon 04 June.

Brother Edgar
 player, 207 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Sun 3 Jun 2018
at 13:45
Re: Night Moves
Brother Edgar saw the line of attackers.  Felt the urge to think of them as howling, feral creature-people.  But, he couldn't see.  Couldn't /know/.  And he could not bring himself to unleash the Glow without that sure knowledge.  The rattle of gunfire told him his companions didn't share his reticence.  He offered a prayer and centered his mind on channeling the Atom through him, "I act only to succor the Doomed.  And they shall know me by me deeds...."  His glowing aura flared briefly in the truck's cab as he prepared for what comes.

Casting Tolerance in preparation for casting Glow Stick later.

I'd like to Hold my other action.

09:44, Today: Brother Edgar rolled 10 using 5d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 2,8,8,10,7.  Atomic Faith! - Tolerance TN: 5.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 873 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 4 Jun 2018
at 05:35
Re: Night Moves
Peter stopped the truck quickly. The sounds were a bit unnerving and sure didn't sound like normal folk to him. He was loathe to shoot first and possibly ask questions later, but they were in a potentially very dangerous situation. He pulled the advanced combat rifle up and leaned out the window. He started off by firing a grenade off from the launcher on the rifle, aiming for a spot in the line straight ahead of him. Then he fired a burst at the lead still standing creature or person.

4 Actions (1 Held Card).
Driving truck forward.

Action 1: Readying Advanced Combat Rifle.
Action 2: Firing one 1 grenade from launcher straight at line set to airburst (hit a 10 total).
Action 3: Driving forward.
Action 4: Holding 1 card.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:39, Thu 07 June.

The Marshall
 GM, 2673 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 05:00
Re: Night Moves
The technical screeched to a halt, but greenish smoke belched from the rig's stacks as Gilles, the onboard AI, assume Peter would also be speeding up. In reaction to Peter's brake-stand Gilles swerved to the left, taking out part of the gate with a shudder. Unfortunately, it seemed some of the chain-link was caught in the truck's suspension and this could cause a lot of problems if it got tangled up in the axle!

A howling filled the air as the brilliant red laser rangefinder beams from Peter and Trask's ACRs stabbed out into the fog. To increase the lethality of the 20mm grenades, these rounds could be set by the ACR to not just explode on impact but airburst over and behind cover. Or for targets in the open, explode with a proximity fuse at, say, head height.

When the acreaming horde swept towards them in the mist, proximity-fused airbursts at head height was what their ACRs' ballistic computers automatically selected. The three rounds went off at head height in the crowd of around what they could see, perhaps too late, was actually about twenty maniacs (men, women and children) heedlessly charging towards them. Peter's high explosive fragmentation round pretty much vapourised one and decapitated another, and Trask's second HE round also pulped the craniums of two more. A dozen others went down of various grievous wounds to their upper and lower torsos, arms and legs.

Firing the cal-fifty almost at point blank range, Jane mowed down the last four mindlessly charging attackers. Their bodies hit the cracked pavement just in front of the technical. As shell casings tumbled into the brass-catcher mounted on the side of the Ma-Deuce's receiver, Jane yelled, "PETER, WHY IN THE HELL ARE WE STOPPING? THEY ARE ON FOOT, WE CAN OUTRUN THEM!"

Behind them, Smoker thought he could see someone moving towards them in the mist...


Marshall's Note:
I am waiting for Crichton's actions before advancing the turn. Smoker can make a Search check.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:09, Tue 12 June.

Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 145 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 05:38
Re: Night Moves
  Due to the smoke getting a clear shot at anything was next to impossible for the junker so he waits for something a little more concrete to present itself.

Action 1 --> Sleeving a card.
        Action 2 --> Wasted on observation.

Smoker Nix
 player, 972 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 08:07
Re: Night Moves
Smoker peered through the murk. He could have sworn he could see something moving, but what?
The Marshall
 GM, 2674 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 08:37
Re: Night Moves
In the fog behind them Smoker could see several shapes closing in, maybe four or five. Angling in from his right, about 20 yards away. The rig had stopped to avoid ramming the technical so they would easily catch up in the next 5-10 seconds.

The rig was stopped to the technical's left, having bulldozed part of the gate and fenceline. It looked like all the attackers had gone down, wounded by the proximity-fused 20mm grenades and .50 cal bullets if not exactly dead.

Marshall's Note: Everyone make a Cognition check, as well as a Quickness Check.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 876 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 19 Jun 2018
at 01:54
Re: Night Moves
Peter let out a long sigh, looking back over his shoulder at Jane with the slightest hint of a reproachful glare. "Well I aim a bit better when not driving at the same time, and seeing as how you don't have a lot of protection back there if they grabbed on and climbed in, I wanted to avoid that. My apologies.

He started the truck moving again, even as he apologized sincerely over the radio to Roadkill, however, for stopping and causing them to have to maneuver and crash in to the gate like that.

OOC: Or not if we are not on the next turn yet, just consider this fluff if we are still in combat.