Frog Jumps In.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 485 posts
Thu 2 May 2013
at 12:42
Re: Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 388):

Lixue winces at his errors in conjugation. It suggests he had driven his tutors to despair at quite a young age.  She considers the scene thoughtfully, why does a man of his rank need to shout?  Is he deaf?  Is he 'whistling in the tomb' trying to keep unpleasant fears at bay?

Well, at least if he has problems, I can't help but hear of them.
Doji Arata
 player, 694 posts
Thu 2 May 2013
at 21:04
Re: Arata
Arata dismisses the question with a modest handwave.

"Oh, my works are out there," he says.
"I would think that any publisher of poetry would have better choices, but there is of course the chance that my writings appear in collection such as the recently notable one. While I am of course honored by the inclusion, I do not write specifically for anthologies of that sort."
Little Teacher
 GM, 3854 posts
Fri 3 May 2013
at 04:33
Re: Tokimasa
In reply to Hiruma Tokimasa (msg # 386):

(Sorry Tokimasa. Didn't get this finished last night)

Johobi sighs and frowns, looking deep into the waning fire. "I can not say I am surprised. Nor that I can blame them."

He says no more of the matter. Ohina returns after a while and banks up the fire. The night passes in quiet.

A day and a half of hard riding brings you to the end of the road. The port town sits like an old frog, content to be buried in the mud of the river. The Drowning Merchant is vast at this juncture. The other shore is visible though it may as well be another country altogether.

Johobi seems to be feeling better, though he tires easily. Ohina ministers to him. The three of you say little to one another. Is there really much to say?

Ohona leaves in an Inn room with Johobi and scuttles off to inquire on boat passage. The hour grows late and a little worry for her crosses your mind. Or perhaps it is worry about her that crosses your mind. Or perhaps you do not think of her at all.

She returns whatever your mental state just as the last hour before midnight tolls. She bows and slides the door shut behind her. The hem of her robe is wet. It occurs to you it is the only robe you have seen her wear.

"There are two boats in dock that will leave in the morning. Only one is going to the Dragonfly's tower. The other will end it's journey about a day's march west of the tower. Neither will let us take our horses on it. " She pours herself a cup of tea and clears her throat. "Your pardon, " she says in a voice which makes it clear she is not overly concerned with receiving your pardon if you were not willing to give it. "There is a boat expected in tomorrow which will allow passage for our mounts. And we can take the ferry across and ride there. " She shrugs. "I have asked around about gaining entry to the Dragon's lands. Everyone says the same things. To do so, one must first visit the Dragonfly. That attempting to travel inland without horses at this time of year is foolish. And that traveling inland this time of year even with horses is foolish. " She looks at you. "How do you wish to proceed? "

Johobi shrugs and leaves the matter up to you.
Little Teacher
 GM, 3855 posts
Fri 3 May 2013
at 04:44
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 390):

You grit your teeth and keep your smile on, seating yourself on the porch and asking for some tea, acting as if you were enjoying the ocean view. All the while, you listen to Moto-sama.

After a few minutes you have a good understanding as to the size of his manhood. Or at least what he wishes the size of his manhood to be. It seems a matter of aome import to him.

You pick up more from what he does not say than what he does. He makes little mention of the homeland. He shares no fond memories of his family and says nothong about his father. He makes a few veiled remarks about a couple of men. You think they are two of his nrothers. And they are, most likely, the reason he is in 'exile'. He seems particularly preoccupied with a brother named Yaku. There's a twinge of panic in his tone when he says anything about this Yaku-sama ata all.

The picture that forms in your mind is that Moto-sama seems to think he would be killed if he remained in the homelands. This Yaku seems to be the one most likwly to do the deed.

Otherwise, Surai sounds like a bad stereotype. All brawn and no brains.
Little Teacher
 GM, 3856 posts
Fri 3 May 2013
at 04:44
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 391):

Yoritomo-san cocks an eyebrow. "Oh? Well...may one nquire how the editors contacted you about the submission?"

She seems rather blunt on this. She is a Mantis and they are not known for their social skills. But still...somehow this sudden straightforward attitude seems...unsettlleing. But you can not put your finger on why it seems so.
Doji Arata
 player, 695 posts
Fri 3 May 2013
at 21:40
Re: Arata
Arata gives Wasune a mildly puzzled look.

"Oh, but why would they have done such a thing? Do you mean to imply that my work is of such a low quality that I must resort to begging for its dissemination?"
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 486 posts
Sat 4 May 2013
at 20:15
Re: Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 393):

It say much about the state of humanity, or perhaps just the samurai class, that part of the Ide Emissary training is in not banging one’s head against a table while listening to the boastings of one’s superiors.

Hopefully, Ono will get here soon and she can let them know of Ide-san’s plans.  And in particular, his desire to be rid of Moto-sama.   It is likely a desire that many people here share.

Despite herself, Lixue despairs for a moment of the future leadership of her clan.
He really doesn’t have anything better to talk about?!
Lixue shoves aside her disgust to look at this conversation with what her uncle would call ‘a hunter’s eye’.  Do not judge it good or bad, he would say, it is what your prey is doing.  Stupid deer and smart deer taste the same.
She tries to think on anything she knows of Yaku-sama and this brother.

Moto-sama is frightened and has no plans.  He has no friends among his family, which is very unhappy.  Considering his ‘entourage’ has not offered any remarkable opinion—and also laughed at these very bad jokes--he likely cannot trust them either. Or they are extremely stupid.  He has made a very bad mistake to anger his brothers.  Given the recent news, he has possibly been accused of Mama-sama’s death.  It’s a zeni-toss whether he actually is guilty.

He would like to live up to his father’s habit of many consorts, but he is deeply uncomfortable around women. Given his preoccupation with his manhood, they likely spend a lot of time alone together.
Little Teacher
 GM, 3858 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 05:03
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 395):

(Nice deflect)

Wasune's eyes go wide. "What? Oh no! I think your poems were quite lovely..." She bows low. "Please forgive my ignorance. It is just I do not know much about these things. Publishing and the like." She is blushing. "You see...I was hoping to know how works were selected is all. I guess...I just assumed one submitted works to someone for publishing. I apologize if my ignorance of the process caused offense."
Little Teacher
 GM, 3859 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 05:04
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 396):

(No. You pretty much hit Moto-sama's personality on the head)

From what you know, the Khan has a multitide of children. Both sons and daughters. The Moto are a particularly fecund lot. You have not heard of Surai before. He must be a 'low ranking' child. Honestly, you would guess you have as much chance of inheriting the Khan's seat as he does.

The Khan had an heir. But his heir withdrew due to an illness that left him weak. He retired to a monastery two years ago. The Khan has not named a succesor. So the field is fairly wide open.

You do know there are a few other candidatrs with fairly strong claims. So a better candidate is not really the issue. The fact the Khan has not picked one is.

You are musing on the matter when Ono arrives. He bows and glances in the direction of Serai's voice. "Greetings Iuchi-sama. You look well. It is such a beautiful day out. Would you like to go for a walk?"
Doji Arata
 player, 696 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 20:17
Re: Arata
Arata flashes a brief grin of amusement.

"Oh, I would not have been offended by your honest opinion," he assures Wasune,
"But your kind praise is all the more pleasing, of course. I do not know how most poets work with regards to publishing, since I do not bother much with things like that myself. If my words have wings they will fly on their own, or else fall into deserved oblivion. It might be a silly way of thinking about it, but an artist is entitled to some eccentricities, neh?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:18, Mon 06 May 2013.

Iuchi Lixue
 player, 487 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 23:12
Re: Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 398):

Lixue smiles and rises as Ono comes into the room.  There is a look of mild relief at the suggestion, “That would be lovely, Ono.  Let me add these letters to the embassy mail as we go out.”

She presumably does so and is more than happy to leave Moto-sama’s tangle of personal problems behind her.

Once they have made a few blocks of progress, “I don’t suppose My First Wife’s Smile is still in port?  I would like to ask the captain something likely trivial—to him at least.”  She asks mildly, though watches closely to see if this some kind of mercantile faux pas.
Hiruma Tokimasa
 player, 72 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 23:25
Re: Tokimasa
Tokimasa can't help but be infuriated by Johobi's seeming ambivalence. For a man that was pushing them every step of the way previously to seem so unbothered about their path now was beyond frustrating. Ohina's approximation of manners don't help either, he is far from a stickler for etiquette but she is beginning to get to him. He sighs with exasperation, shrugs and makes a call because no one else will, "Fine, we take the boat and our horses tomorrow. Better to be the lesser of two fools, and we'll make better time in the long run."
Little Teacher
 GM, 3860 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 04:31
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 399):

Relief floods into Wasune's face. She at least has sense enough to restrain her hand from fluttering to her chest and sighing in relief. "Oh yes. I see."

Outside the hour tolls. Wasune almost leaps in surprise. "Oh! I did notmrealize the day was getting along so. I must beg your pardon. I promised to stop by and visit a sick friend." She smiles. "I am so glad you afforded me the time today. It was a pleasure to visit. You should stop by for tea sometime."

You finish your cup after she departs. The hostess asks if you wish anything else. Wasune instructed her to see to anything you may wish.

Kimo has been sitting at a table nearby, watching. He moves to join you, bowing before sitting down. He cocks an eyebrow. "Did something happen Doji-sama? The lady seemed...shocked at one point...."
Little Teacher
 GM, 3861 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 04:31
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 400):

Ono raises his eyebrows in surprise and considers. "I am not sure if it is honestly. We can see though. It is not far from here. "

The two of you walk across the square towards the docks. Ono reaches into his sleeve and removes a letter. He hands it to you. "Yours I believe? "

It is the letter from Yoshi.

Ono sighs. "I was contacted this morning. Someone sent a note stating they had come across some a letter of yours. I of course paid a few coins in reward.  " He studies the ground. "I did not read the letter. But may I ask...was there anything in there of a...personal nature?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 3862 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 04:31
Re: Tokimasa
In reply to Hiruma Tokimasa (msg # 401):

Ohina presses a cup into your hand. "Careful Hiruma-sama. The river is rough today..."

Not that you needed her to tell you that. You sip the tea and stare over the railing, watching the shore flow by. My Other Daughter plows the river ably. The Kasuga taskmaster beating a fairly brisk rhthym for the rowers on his big drum. You had never met a Toirtise before. It was a bit surprising when Ohina lead you to the ship flying the banner of the minor clan. It took you a momwnt to realize whose mon it was. The Kasuga seem competent. Their sailors move quickly and efficiently. Their rowers seem to have stout backs. But they are not the most talkative of people. That might be a blessing, depending on your mood.

Ohina leans against the rail and watches the shore with you. A strand of her hair flutters out of her bun and whips across her face. She pushes it back, frowning in annoyance as she does so. "The horses are doing fine..." she mutters after a moment.

The three of you have spoken little since last night. Johobi took a seat near the bow of the ship. He watches the shore as well, sipping a cup Ohina had given him a moment ago. By some mute agreement, you stand close enough to ward, but far enough away to make conversation unlikely. Somehow, that just seems the arrangement you are both comfortable with.

"We should be in port in the morning. From what I was told, it will then only be a day's ride to the Dragonfly's tower. We will need to get our papers stamped, but we can head out as soon as we land otherwise."

She thinks a moment, seeming to consider if there is anything else neccessary to report or comment on. After tapping the rail she reaches into her obi. She pulls out a small round disc of wood.

You can see the disc is painted cheaply with the symbols of a coin. Ohina shuts her eyes and mumbles under her breath. Then flips the fake coin over the railing and into the water. You watch it spin as it descends and then disappear beneath the black waves.

"I stopped at a temple to pray for our safe journey. They handed these out to travelers. Apparently it is considered good luck to toss a coin in to the river. It is supposed to appease the merchant who drowned here."

She holds out her hand. There are three more. "Would you like to make an offering as well?"
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 488 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 20:02
Re: Lixue

What is the point in exchanging letters with a friend if you cannot put anything personal in them?

Lixue considers how to answer the question, looking at the letter briefly before tucking the letter away. What do I expect to find?  She chides herself.  An incriminating footnote?  A correction to Yoshiro's calligraphy?

"I would consider it personal. He gave me some advice and good wishes in finding a yojimbo. I do not think such advice is..inappropriately personal, which I suspect is what you wish to know about the letter."  She sounds a little wistful, as she thinks of the advice.  It would be very fine to have someone who was such a friend as Yoshiro described.

"Unfortunately, since it's now known by some dishonorable person that I may need one--I think it is better that we let the yojimbo matter go for now. If someone is desperate enough to spy by stealing a letter off my bed-stand, surely the yojimbo would be a spy."  Lixue sighs, "Rather more frustrating--it would be impossible to know either way."

She asks, "I am sure you already know that we are moving to the Old Unicorn Mission today. Did you have any questions? Observations? I think Ide-san has reasons beyond the incessant spying, but given the incessant spying--I know as much as an arrow knows." She admits this last part a little tersely.  One might suspect that she finds this spying and letter theft quite irritating.
Doji Taiki
 player, 222 posts
 Doji Courtier
 Consumate Idealist
Thu 9 May 2013
at 21:00
Re: Taiki
"I do not think so, other than perhaps to ask what their greeting rituals are like, if they are any different to our own," Taiki replied, conscious that most clans seemed to have their own odd little rituals, despite the other similarities they might share. "Otherwise, I will defer to you, as you are the leader of this diplomatic party, and I will attempt to follow your lead."
Little Teacher
 GM, 3863 posts
Fri 10 May 2013
at 04:41
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 405):

Ono nods. "So we need not worry about blackmail then. " He says this in a matter-of-fact tone. "Sorry to intrude. But...well. I just needed to know if the matter needed further handling."

He smiles wanely. "Look at it like this. You are becoming notable. No one would bother to steal your correspondence if you were not attracting attention. But if I may suggest smething. In future give your correspondence to Risa. She will make sure they are safely hidden away. I know Ide-sama does so. Ah. Here we are."

You can see the prow of Smiles from My First Wife at one of the berths down the pier.
Hiruma Tokimasa
 player, 73 posts
Sat 11 May 2013
at 00:45
Re: Tokimasa
Tokimasa stares out at the see with a frown. Life is becoming too real again. Being aboard a Tortoise vessel should be a joy, an experience to be savoured, instead it is more like a burden. Ohina and Johobi aren't helping matters, everyone seems ill at ease with everyone else, waiting for it all to go wrong again. He'll be glad when all this is done and the tension boils away. Which raised a question...

"Tell me," He says to Ohina as he examines the charms she holds, unconsciously avoiding her name, as is becoming his habit, "What will you do once we reach our destination? Do you have some grand plan?" He doesn't suppose she has any real answer to that but best to put it in her mind. He can't help but wonder if she would just keep following him if not prevented. "And thank you." Tokimasa plucks one of the wooden coins from her hand, "Merchants and coins, eh?" He adds with a rueful smile as he watches it sink.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 489 posts
Sat 11 May 2013
at 01:24
Re: Lixue
She gives Ono a quick, wry smile. "Have I told you how much I appreciate your relentless optimism? I am more concerned that someone stole the letter in order to forge Yoshiro-san's handwriting. And I don't see the sutra he copied out for me here.
     I don't think Kakita-san was the only forger creating mischief--Doji-san wrote as much in his last letter before the twins killed him."
She adds with an intent frown, as she considers the corruption that lingers in the wake of the Kitsune Winter Court.  Lixue sometimes feels that she got a glimpse under a rock, and the now the horrible bugs are scattered away again.  But they're just under other rocks now--they haven't gone very far.

I am not surprised that she is a secretary in addition to everything else. "  Lixue comments mildly, trying to put such depressing thoughts aside. It wasn't very helpful; it just made her feel overwhelmed. "If we had ten Risa, Ide-san would be ruling the city already."

She says thoughtfully, "I am not sure that Risa could have done anything about my letter being stolen from my bedside table while she helped me dress, though.  Part of what worries me is how..brazen..it was.  If I have an enemy, it shows that they are desperate. But why? And for what?"

Lixue shades he her eyes, she asks practically. "Well, there is Captain Yoritomo's ship. How much does it usually cost to post a letter by ship?  Yoshiro-san should be warned as soon as possible."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:40, Sat 11 May 2013.

Little Teacher
 GM, 3866 posts
Sun 12 May 2013
at 05:00
Taiki
(Please move to the Get Your Sword Out thread. Thanks)
Little Teacher
 GM, 3867 posts
Sun 12 May 2013
at 06:19
Re: Tokimasa
In reply to Hiruma Tokimasa (msg # 408):

(Please move to the Get Your Sword Out thread. Thanks)
Little Teacher
 GM, 3869 posts
Sun 12 May 2013
at 07:16
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 409):

(Please move to the Get Your Sword Out thread. Thanks)
Doji Arata
 player, 698 posts
Mon 13 May 2013
at 21:53
Re: Arata
Arata covers his face with his fan in feigned surprise.

"Oh, is that so? I wonder if it was something I said?"

He lowers his fan to finish the last of his tea, his demeanor turned perfectly business-like the instant the cup hits the platter.

"Tell me, do you think me cruel for provoking a reaction like that?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 3872 posts
Tue 14 May 2013
at 04:24
Re: Arata
(Please move to Get Out Your Sword. Thanks)