The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Little Teacher
 GM, 4958 posts
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 04:50
Re: Lixue and Kambe
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 240):

Risa lays a blanket out on your sleeping mat as you wash your hair before sleep. " I thought those people quite rude, " Risa mutters. "Why would you brin your petty squabbles and lay them before a host who is only trying to show you good will... "

She seems less than enamored with the Sparrow. Risa comes over with a towel to help you dry your hair. "Would you care for some tea before you retire Lixue-sama? I have been working on a new blend to aid in relaxation."

She goes to fetch your sleeping robe. "Is tere anything specific on your agenda tomorrow?  "
Little Teacher
 GM, 4959 posts
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 04:54
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 241):

Fizu considers the various reports. "I see. We seem to have an enemy attacking us where they think we can be bested. Among the commoners we watch over." He shakes his head. "Those titles you gave are nonsensical. An 'Exchequer'? I wonder who would come up with something like that..." He waves a hand and turns into a teacher. "Alright. Strategy. Peace can be as trying as war. Sometimes more so. We have an enemy who is making subtle moves against us. You have begun to gather information. This is a fine start. What other steps can you recommend?"
Akodo Jubei
 player, 95 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 20:28
Re: Jubei
Jubei considered. "It is even possible, Fizu-sama, that the bandits are also led by the same hand, so it is imperative we make sure they do not rise again with new membership. Divide and Conquer is old as time, and trying to divide our forces is surely part of the plan.

I think we need to enlist Miya-sama's help. There are certain things the imperials can do we cannot. Particularly when it comes to declaring non-existent ministers non existent. He may also be able to officially offer protection to the fire department and decry the rice monk.

As their objective seems to be the destruction of the city, rather then its capture, it is possible more clans then ours would not wish to city burn. We may be able to get the other clans also lined up against this plan. Many sticks bundled together show great strength.
"
Doji Arata
 player, 979 posts
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 22:34
Re: Arata
Arata turns the knife slowly, watching the sunlight reflect off the hilt.

"A Crab warriors mount, from appearances. We should bring this to their attention."

He gingerly returns the knife to the saddle bag, frowning.

"Kakita-san, it seems to have been saddled for a long time, does it not? I imagine wearing the saddle must start to chafe after a while. Do you think it is in pain?"
Hida Kambe
 player, 233 posts
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 22:52
Re: Kambe
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 242):

Kambe looks at Koichi & Kihi carefully, "I was unaware we were making humour regarding our ally's servants. An assassin?" The young Crab can hardly believe it.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:27, Thu 05 Feb 2015.

Iuchi Lixue
 player, 901 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 02:56
Re: Lixue and Kambe

Lixue smiles tiredly, politely declining the extra tea.  She's had enough tea this evening that she could float. "Oh, I'm sure it's much worse to have so many cares that they spill out of their sleeves...Is there something particularly troubling?  I was trying to balance the conversation.  It was like dragging a stubborn mule uphill, so I might have missed something
     It is nice to meet with Hida-sama again. Our conversations always seem to turn to war, but friends ought to be interested in serious topics with each other, hai?"
  She seems lighter for having met them again, for they have been good allies to her and Ide-san.  If there is a conflict--who could be more stalwart than the Crab?

"I am planning to go riding early, as usual..Shinjo-san enjoys something to complain about.  Luckily my spear-work is a never ending source of delight."  She offers dryly, feeling that the riding and regular martial practice gives his day some structure.

She sighs as she considers the rest of her schedule."Unfortunately I am once again a novelty.  Your advice about the robe was perfect, and I am invited to a noon tea tomorrow with Miya-sama.  She asked for advice about a groom, incidentally.  Has anyone caught you eye as particularly competent?"   She clearly has reasonable expectations about the horse-care in southern lands, but asks with a mild interest.

Lixue pauses, "Tomorrow's evening meal is with Doji-san at the Crane embassy. I know you find it amusing, but I am..concerned.  There is something odd about Doji-san's correspondence." 

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Fri 30 Jan 2015.

Little Teacher
 GM, 4960 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 04:59
Re: Kambe
In reply to Hida Kambe (msg # 247):

Kihi and Koichi do not look amused. Koichi is the one who answers. "We have reason to believe she is profecient in the use of poisons. We know of at least one death she has caused."

Kihi nods. "Risa...that is the maid's name...is from a family who were in the Kolat. I doubt Iuchi-san knows." He looks at Koichi. "Will you order us some tea?" Kihi sits on a cushion while Koichi goes to the door. "She was maid to another retainer of the Ki Rin who was called back to the North during the Kitsune Winter Court. Lixue inherited her after a fashion. We believe Risa is acting on orders from the Ide and that her family's Kolat connections were broken. But...well. One can never be sure." He rubs the back of his neck. "Life is full of little surprises, neh? I bring this up for you to keep in mind. I was not expecting Lixue-san and Risa to be here. Now that they are...hmmm." He considers. "What are your thoughts on what I have just said Kambe-san?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 4961 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 04:59
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 245):

Fizu nods. "Sound thinking. I will meet with Miya-sama. See me after your meeting with this contact. We will make further plans from there."

(We're going to move to the new thread tomorrow where we'll have your meeting. How many guards would you like to take?)
Little Teacher
 GM, 4962 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 05:00
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 246):

Hawasi nods. "Probably." He nods to two of the men to see to the horse. He turns to you after makng sure Dosu is not within earhot. "The villagers were probably afraid they would be accused of theft if the animal was not exactly as he was left. The fact the horse was left in their field would put them in a dngerous situation. But...I suppose I will ask the obvious." He waves towards the valley. "Where do you think his rider is? And why would he be out here? Shall we search for him?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 4963 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 05:07
Re: Lixue and Kambe
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 248):

"I would imagine he came into some business which troubled him. Doji-sama is a magistrate after all. " Risa smiles as she begins to massage the back of your neck. "His position will keep him in the midst of trouble after all. Sounds like someone I know..."

She laughs then gets to work on rubbing out the knot between your shoulder blades. "I will check on the carpenters again but should be available should you need me. Lady Iuchi..." Her voice grows serious. "I am worried about this posting. Things seem...unsettled here. Ide Kemari-sama seems...troubled. And even the Sparrow-samas were troubled. Are we safe here?"
Akodo Jubei
 player, 96 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:13
Re: Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 250):

(OOC:Not sure what's appropriate. Given Fizu-sama's suspicions and the fact we're going to be claiming two rooms...is 8 enough?)
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 902 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 16:28
Re: Lixue and Kambe

Lixue's shoulders tense a little as she admits reluctantly, "I don't know.  All court have tension, and the stakes are high here.  The Sparrow would be comparatively wealthy should Miya-sama decide for them, for instance.   Most of my experience has been with courts that are not normal, but  Hida-sama's concern makes me think that the things we have both noticed are not a good sign."

She considers, sounding concerned and sympathetic but calm.  They may be in danger but they are hardly helpless. "I think it is not safe, but that we have advantages to help us avoid direct danger. If you tell me what you think might happen, we can take steps to prevent that.  We are both sensible people and have training in protecting ourselves.

Also, the Lion will certainly lose face if the city becomes too dangerous.  So they will likely be motivated to protect us.  Third, both Doji-san and Hida-sama are good allies.  And they are both magistrates, so anyone who makes trouble is likely to be found. I am sure that will make it difficult for any villains to go unnoticed."

Doji Arata
 player, 980 posts
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 03:33
Re: Arata
"It would be proper form if we knew where to begin," Arata says without confidence.
"However, I am not keen on the idea of wandering the countryside at random. Could it be possible to follow the horse's trail of hoofprints to find out where it came from?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 4964 posts
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 05:05
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 253):

(That sounds good. Will have the new thread up later tonight)
Akodo Jubei
 player, 97 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 08:20
Re: Jubei
(Acknowledged. Standing by.)
Little Teacher
 GM, 4969 posts
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 09:06
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 255):
Little Teacher
 GM, 4970 posts
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 09:07
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 255):


Dosu nods eagerlywhen Hawasi asks him just that. "Oh yes Doji-dono! Please follow..."

He leads you north. About a third of a ri from the village, the brook widens a bit. This makes it an ideal irrigation dock and sure enough the peasants here have set up every available square cenimeter as a rice paddy or cabbage patch.

Dosu points towards the middle of one field. "There. We found him there..." Dosu points further north to a spot where the brook winds into a small stand of trees. "There was a trail of foot prints leading into the forest. We were unable to follow the tracks from there."
Doji Arata
 player, 981 posts
Sun 1 Feb 2015
at 21:04
Re: Arata
Arata peers thoughtfully into the treeline.

"We should go on for a quick search, but we can only cover so much ground before dark. If we cannot find our missing person before then, notifying his clan at our earliest opportunity will have to suffice. Dosu, are you familiar enough with the woods to act as a guide?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 4972 posts
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 05:31
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 260):

Dosu assigns one of the younger men to guide you. The man brings you to a field st the base of the next field over. The villager points, "He was found there," he says pointing to a spot near the edge of the rice pattie. "We searched along the brook, thinking the rider had perhaps gone for water but found no sign."

Hawasi looks at him. "Did you check the hill there?"

The villager hesitates and drops his head. "Ah. No. We...No Crane-sama. It was late and we were afraid of becoming lost ourselves."

Hawasi frowns. "I would think you would know your lands day or night. Why did you not go the next day if you were worried?"

The villager wrings his hands. "It is...Old Lady's Hill. We do not trouble it much..." The villager shifts his weight from foot to foot. "It is not allowed to visit you see. The hill does not like to be bothered."

Hawasi rolls his eyes. "Oh. I see." He looks at you. "Would you like to search the hill Doji-sama?"
Hida Kambe
 player, 234 posts
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 02:00
Re: Kambe
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 249):

Kambe took perhaps longer than he should have to answer. It was all just so much to process. "I think, up until you had said it, that the Kolat were a myth. A scary story to keep samurai in line.

That Risa could be capable of such things. That Iuchi-san does not know. It is a lot to comprehend. Why have you not told her, Hida-sama?"

Little Teacher
 GM, 4976 posts
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 04:30
Re: Kambe
Kihi shrugs. "As I said, Risa's family are believed to have broken ties with their past. We have seen nothing that indicates she is a danger to her Clan or the Empire in general. Just that she is the daughter of a man who was the son of a member of the Kolat." He lifts his hand and raises two fingers. "There are two ways of looking at it. Forst, she is loyal to her Clan. Should she be punished for her Grandfather's foolishness? Second, if she is a danger, she must have connections still with the Kolat. It is better to watch and learn. It would be of use to know if the organization still functions and if so, who may be party to it." He considers a moment and then says, "There were members in both the Yasuki ane the Kuni. So it is wise to learn if that corruption still exists."
Hida Kambe
 player, 235 posts
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 14:33
Re: Kambe
"Of course, Hida-sama. Both ways are prudent. I just wonder if Iuchi-san should be made aware lest something unfortunate should happen. But perhaps I am not being practical enough." Kambe says earnestly.

"Even if this Risa has cut her ties to the Ko- to that organization. If it ever got out about her family, the shame it could cause an ally would be great.  But then I wonder if I am being too hard hearted, regarding forgiveness for the servant. It is difficult, of course.",/blue>

Kambe brushed some of his hair from out of his face. <blue>"Did the servant's former master know of her family's past dealings?"
The Crab bushi had no sooner phrased his question when he then seemed to shrug to himself.

"Honestly, I suppose it matters not. I am just getting drawn in to salacious stories like a green courtier's first winter court.

Tomorrow, when I am with the Sparrow I will see how closely aligned they are with the Tortoise and if possible try to get introduced to some higher up Tortoise in the city.  If our purpose here is to make sure they are not given control of this land then it would be good to take a measure of who I am up against.

Is there anything else you would like me to look into, Hida-sama?"

Little Teacher
 GM, 4980 posts
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 04:55
Re: Kambe
"No Kambe-san. Simply be on your guard."

(Let's move to the Horse thread now)
Doji Arata
 player, 982 posts
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 22:38
Re: Arata
Arata nods patiently at the villager.

"I believe we must go, but we will of course behave respectfully in such a special place. You may wait here for us if you are not comfortable joining. We should not be long."
Little Teacher
 GM, 4984 posts
Fri 6 Feb 2015
at 06:44
Re: Arata
(Remember I did give you the option. Let's move to the other thread.)