A Horse with No Name.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Hida Kambe
 player, 267 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 18:34
Re: Kambe
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 262):


Kambe began asking around for the man overseeing this temple. When he found him or someone that would at least be knowledgeable he asked, "I have just been praying at the shrine to the Fortune of Rice. I was wondering if you could answer me a theological question.

During my travels I encountered a less opulent statue to the very same Fortune. This shrine was secluded and perhaps not properly maintained. The most outstanding thing though, was that it had very specific marking across the face. They seem to be intentionally placed there, though I suppose there is a chance that time and the weather may have caused such damage.  My question is, are there any groups that practice such disfigurement ovr the course of their worship and prayers? Perhaps a radical fringe group? On the surface it seems blasphemous to me. And if it is so, I would like to alert the nearest monastery and magistrates so that they might investigate further. But, if it is simply a matter of time wearing things down then I the matter is much less worrisome."

Iuchi Lixue
 player, 944 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 19:20
Re: Lixue
Lixue sighs, takings some comfort in the hand on her shoulder.  "If I start to weep, I will be an exhausted, messy heap of silk.  I never could cry prettily..I will be alright, it's better to hear it among friends who are kind enough to overlook my falling down manners." She thanks him tremulously.

"I am sure you wouldn't say a thing like that unless you were certain. "It is strange to think he would be ill, he seemed to be a very robust person..  Kakita-sama would only worry to know that she thought someone might be targeting some of the people who fought at the Winter court.  Really, she would have to renew her efforts to contact Moto-san's family.

She changes the subject gingerly, not wishing to say too much more about a dark subject.   "It is hard to believe that no one would think to contact me when my letter was found.  The Akodo I've met have been too dutiful to neglect that kind of thing.   It may be the letter just did not reach me. Lonely Shore was a rather strange place for a Unicorn.  It seemed to me a violent place.  There were attacks even at well-guarded parties, but people didn't seem to mind very much.  Except your nephew, of course."

She smiles faintly at the last part, remembering the weary exasperation he had towards the assault at Omaru-sama's ball.  At least he seemed to enjoy their partnership.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:47, Wed 01 Apr 2015.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5121 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 03:42
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 264):

Fizu sighs. "There are always political implications. One can not piss without splattering all over a political implication. Though perhaps that is the purpose politics is best suited for." He chuckles. "In any event, choose your men wisely. Leave Iku at least a handful of competent underlings. But otherwise harvest the best fruit. And Jubei-san...never trust the Miya. Never. Though Miya-sama is a fairly reasonable and likable man...and the Miya are the best of the political families...they will always side with the Throne. Remember that."
Little Teacher
 GM, 5122 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 03:48
Re: Kambe
In reply to Hida Kambe (msg # 265):

You find a monk, older though perhaps not the abbott. He bows. "Greetings. This one is Juhoji. How may I be of assistance?"

He listens, shocked when you describe the condition of the altar. "Really? Where is this shrine? If it is nearby I will go myself to repair it."

He shakes his head. "It is sad, but I have heard many rumors over the years. Some say worshippers of this fortune or that fortune will sabotage a shrine to what they consider a rival fortune. And...yes. There are Lunatics."  He uses the word for 'Lunatic' that describes a moon worshipper. "But to deface the fortune of rice. That is serious. It endangers everyone including the one who did the damage. Famine is never chosey about who starves. Though if the shrine was as old as you say it may just be natural. Would you describe the marks? I can send word to the nearest temple to see to the repairs if it is a ling way off."
Little Teacher
 GM, 5123 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 03:55
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 266):

Uncle-sama nods and follows the path of conversation. He seems to know when best to leave something alone. "The Akodo stationed here may not know themselves. The death of such a highly placed advisor...Well. It is sometimes best to leave news to the side when sensing reports to those in the field. If someone can do nothing about something, there is no point bringing the topic up."

He sighs. "Ah my nephew. It is like him to be in the thick of things. And I do not mean just because of his duty. He always seems to be the one turned to in such matters. Baka..." He says the word for 'idiot' in such an affectionate tone, there is no doubt he does not mean it. This man seems more like a father than an uncle. "He has spoken well of you in his letters. I am glad he has met someone of like mind and character. Though you seem much too sound of mind to equal him in foolishness. Please," he gives you a bow. "Take care of my foolish nephew. He is very dear to me."
Akodo Jubei
 player, 146 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 04:59
Re: Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 267):

"Can't be helped, can it? Very well. And understood. It makes me wonder what they want. To keep control of the city, sure, but that's probably not all they want..."

He'd just have to be prepared for 'Oh, they're going to get married' rumors all over the place, again.
Doji Arata
 player, 1007 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 20:53
Re: Arata
(I'm just going to take a moment here to appreciate how absolutely delightful this arc has been so far.)

"Is that so?"

Arata throws a quick glance at the nameless man.

"We may have been very lucky then. I must know what has happened since we left camp. Would you please escort me to the one in charge of the search?"
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 945 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 22:44
Re: Lixue
Lixue's smile has a certain tenderness--she cares for his nephew as well."Of course.  He will have whatever aid I can convince him to accept."She alludes to a certain..strong-willed decisiveness that Doji-san has. She has noticed he becomes even more autocratic when he is worried, for instance when there is significant danger or politics. It is endearing when it is not exasperating. "I cannot promise I will be less foolish, as we have a certain similarity when it comes to improbable situations.  But I hope that he will no longer charge into them alone."

She pauses, "May I hope that you are planning to stay in Naishou a while? I do not think I've seen your nephew happier."   Lixue would be glad if Doji-san shed some of the weariness of spirit he had.

OOC: This guy is awesome!!  Can he please stay?!

This message was last edited by the player at 14:33, Thu 02 Apr 2015.

Hida Kambe
 player, 268 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 21:29
Re: Kambe
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 268):

Kambe describes the marks across the face of the Fortune. "The shrine was located amongst the Mantis Isles." he said. "Thank you for your assistance. I hope you are able to repair the Shrine." Kambe takes his leave and then goes looking for his Sparrow and Hare companions.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5124 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 04:15
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 270):

Fizu and you play a game of Go before he turns in. When you arrive back in your room, you find a report from Godon. One of the ring leaders was found dead in a back alley. The shugenja who was late was also found. He had indeed been waylaid, but was able to fight off his attackers. There's also another report regarding the rice monk business. It seems a local man was arrested during a brawl at an inn. When te jailers searched him, they found a letter. Someone who identifies themselves as No Il-sama wrote the letter. In it this No Il-sama provides a copy of the schedule for the guard rotation on the city's rice storage facilities. The man who had the letter is refusing to answer questions. The report is seeking permission to resort to torture.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5125 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 04:35
Re: Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 271):

(Arrigato)

"Are you hurt?" Doji Ozuki is one of the General's direct reports. So she was concerned enough to assign the search for you to one of her seconds. That probably means she thinks well of you. Or at least does not want to send a report back saying she lost you. Ozuki pours you some more tea himself and glances at the nameless man. "It seems you have a bit of a tale to tell..."
Akodo Jubei
 player, 147 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 04:39
Re: Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 274):

As distasteful as Jubei found the idea, he simply allowed the Eta to do what they're there for. The Rice Monk was a big enough issue that it had to be done. The fact the rice monk had a copy of the guard roster meant they'd become too predictable. They'd have to start varying the guard.

At least the shugenja is alright. Next time he sends for one, he should probably send some armed guards to escort him.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5126 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 04:45
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 272):

(The Mystic 8 Ball says Answer hazy. Try again later...

Actually he will be around for a bit.)

Uncle-sama smiles. "I am making no long range plans at the moment. Honto, I had just finished my last tour of duty when Ochube-baka-kun wrote me he was being assigned here. I was not far away and so asked my Lord if I could tarry a while here. He granted my request. Though we shall see how long he gives me liberty. The damage was minimal I hope?" Uncle-sama adds this last in the direction of over-your-shoulder. Ochube comes walking up, bearing a tray with plums and a small bottle of sake.

"Oh yes. It was just one of the Okoto vases. He made more so the world should not suffer too much? Plum?" He offers you a plum. Okoto was a famous potter who lived a hundred or so years ago. The vase must have been priceless.

Neither of the two men seem overly concerned. Uncle-sama sighs and helps himself to a plum. "It is too early in the year. These will be quite sour."

"Well. That will suit your pwrsonalty just fine, will it not Uncle-sama?"

"Baka..." Uncle-sama botes intl his plum. "I underatand you had tea with Princess Miya-sama. What is she like? I hear she is...strong willed."
Little Teacher
 GM, 5127 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 04:54
Re: Kambe
In reply to Hida Kambe (msg # 273):

You find Imioni and Bosuko near the front entrance. They are watching a puppet show. The puppeteers are not overly skilled. But the story they present is the fairly well known tale of the duel between Akodo Abari and Bayushi Poso. Abari wins but that is because Poso, who wanted to steal Abari's sword, allows himself to be cut so the blade will stick into his body and then flees. The pupet version of Poso tries to do just that, but the toy sword falls out of the puppet's body. The crowd giggles.

Imioni shakes her head and smiles bemusedly. "Ah well. There is a lesson in there somewhere." She claps her hands and looks at the two of you. "Well gentlemen. Are we ready? I thought we could retire to Bosuko-san's quarters for tea. I promised Kambe-san we would introduce him around some of the Alliance fellows."

(Anything you wanted to do before we move on?)
Hida Kambe
 player, 269 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 18:38
Re: Kambe
"That sounds fine. I have nothing more pressing to do at the moment." Kambe says.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 946 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 20:37
Re: Lixue
"Ish..She clearly has a plan for herself and others.  I reflected often on your nephew's wise advice concerning Imperial persons." Lixue says, gingerly taking a plum.   She holds it as lightly as an egg.   Her words are likewise a little bit like holding an egg, a little careful and thoughtful.

  "It was an interesting conversation; she was friendly, of course.  I think she sees me as pleasant enough.  Perhaps she would like to be friends, but political games will come first for her. I think she was trying to steer me to some reaction, but I am bewildered to guess what it might be.  Also, she seemed to have a romantic idea about my carrying out a census in territory that is heavily beset by bandits. It was quite strange--there are three armies worth of scouts that would be more appropriate." She shrugs as though the motivations of the princess are beyond her appreciation., Nor does she give much of a worry to the prospect of being sent out into a dangerous, unfamiliar countryside on her own.  If it happens, it happens--much of it will be Ide-sama's problem for losing a useful assistant.   Of course she would not like to worry Doji-san with a dangerous mission either.

"I do not know what she thought to accomplish.   Lixue admits thoughtfully,  "I can ride, certainly.  But I would be unlikely to get very far before I was ambushed.  Instead we are going hunting next week, to exercise her father's birds.  I will wear armor and bring my spear in case we have the luck of encountering larger game."

She nibbles at her plum, thoughtfully observing the Cranes' opinions Miya-sama's behavior.

OOC: This one was kind of hard to write.. ;o)

This message was last edited by the player at 01:08, Sun 05 Apr 2015.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5128 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 06:24
Re: Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 276):

(Anything you want to specifically take with you on the hunting trip? Types of troops, specific pieces of equipment, etc?)
Akodo Jubei
 player, 148 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 06:29
Re: Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 281):

(OOC:Well, let's see...hunting is done from horseback, by bow, normally. As for troops, I think I need a fairly good contingent of archers and spearmen, depending on what we're hunting. What IS the princess hunting, anyway? And how? With what?)
Little Teacher
 GM, 5130 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 02:15
Re: Jubei
(Valid questions. She is going falconing. Retainers to handle the birds, groomesmen, and a staff to see to her whims and guests are already taken care of. You just need to focus on guards and soldiers.)
Little Teacher
 GM, 5134 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 03:11
Re: Kambe
In reply to Hida Kambe (msg # 279):

(Please move to the new thread. Thanks.)
Little Teacher
 GM, 5135 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 03:11
Re: Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 280):

(Please move to the new thread. Thanks.)
Akodo Jubei
 player, 149 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Tue 7 Apr 2015
at 01:00
Re: Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 283):

(OOC:Okay...for falconing, is there anything in particular I should bring, if I'm personally escorting her? I'm not overly familiar with Falconing in real life, though I imagine Jubei knows...

Also, if we're switching threads, does that mean XP? And honor/glory/status?)
Little Teacher
 GM, 5137 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2015
at 04:34
Re: Jubei
(I'm studying for a test, so it will probably be next week before I can look for XP, etc. Usually I wait for several threads to go by, but I'll make a note to see about switching to a per-thread basis. Kick me if I don't send ya'll XP by Wednesday if you don't mind.

As for falconing, you just need to bring your sweet self. And thirty guards. Didn't know if you wanted any kind of specialized troop like archers, etc. I'll just assume you go for an all around mix if you like.

I'll set up your post in the next thread. You can switch to there. There's a little bit of business we will finish in the city. The thread after this ine will start the hunting trip.)
Doji Arata
 player, 1009 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2015
at 21:20
Re: Arata
"Thank you, I suppose by now it must be a full week since I had a proper cup," Arata says, politely accepting the offered tea.
"Ozuki-san, the story of our absence is as strange as it is brief, but I will tell it honestly and let you decide what to make of it."

He gives a short summary of the hunt for the missing samurai and the visit to the court of the Cuckoo.

"It must sound like the plot of a kabuki play," he concludes,
"And not necessarily a good one. Nonetheless I know that since I left camp I have eaten but once and slept not at all, yet you tell me two weeks have passed. Since disbelief is not currently a luxury I can afford, will you please oblige me by telling me everything that has happened while our party was missing?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 5140 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2015
at 04:55
Re: Arata
(Please move to the new thread. Arrigato)