Tears of a Clown.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Little Teacher
 GM, 5768 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 00:35
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 140):

You nimbly leap over a tent line and land easily but noisily in the midst of a puddle. You are already speeding forward like an arrow as the thief looks over his shoulder at you. His eyes twitch between you...your spear...the shortening distance between you...your spear...

Kawani-sama! Help this unfortunate-dog-who-is-not-worthy-to-lick-your-sandle!

Kawani-sama must be otherwise occupied. One more athletics roll please
Little Teacher
 GM, 5769 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 00:40
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 141):

The riders before you fight rather fiercely. For dogs, they do know how to bite. You lose another man and four men are injured. The reports from within the camp indicate the situation is being contained.

Akodo-sama! A rider...one of yours...is coming for the hill. You recognize him as one of the patrol officers. He comes to at the foot of the hill and signals.

Anot incoming enemy force. North and northwest. About half a ri. We estimate a hundred men. Thirty calvary. The officer speaks aloud. The riders are on boars Akodo-sama...
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1138 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 14:14
Iuchi Lixue 

Lixue didn't even notice the puddle, focusing on the thief and where she is going.  Shinjo-san may be more pickled than a radish, but he knew his spear work when he made her exercise so much.

The shouts of those fighting make her feet light:  She needs to resolve this quickly and decisively if possible.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5770 posts
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 02:11
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 144):

Reaching inside, you find some speed you have not used before. You use it now. The thief looks back, cries, and runs head first into a man coming around the corner. The two of them go flying backwards and into the side of a tent, pulling the tent over and down on top of them.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1139 posts
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 02:48
Iuchi Lixue 

OOC: I'm a little confused about what is happening.

Did the thief run into one of the guests?  a servant?  another bandit?  It makes a big difference for Lixue's next move.  If there are two bandits in the tent then she will adopt the 'stab first, interrogate later' tactic ;o)

Also, did he drop the chest?


Lixue catches up with the two men struggling in the fallen tent.   She lets out of a loud, sharp whistle: hopefully her groom will come.  Or Risa will know where to bring Raiden.   Either way, her will hopefully know a Unicorn whistle and know where she is.
Doji Arata
 player, 1142 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2016
at 01:17
Doji Arata
Arata sighs lightly and shrugs, still in the process of picking out feathers.

"Hawasi-san, I am a poet, not an exorcist. To state the obvious, we do have an army to care for. We must do as duty and necessity calls for. Besides that, what can we do but keep following the advice of our noses?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 5771 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2016
at 03:38
Iuchi Lixue 
The man who has fallen headlong in the dirt wears a robe indicative of lower nobility. You can see the Kasuga money on the sleeves now that you are closer. The theif still has the chest clutched in both hands.

They struggle to unentangle themselves from each other and rise.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5772 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2016
at 03:47
Doji Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 147):

Hawasi sighs. Odd how somethings do not make sense until someone explains them to you. I will send a man to the general to ask for fletchers. Any other message to pass along?

The door opens as you sort through some sparrow feathers. Tsubaki returns holding a rod about anot arm length long. The wood is cedar though this rod has been stained to black.

Thank you for waiting. Here is a sample of the wood we are using
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1140 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2016
at 13:57
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 148):

"Kasuga-san!"  Lixue requests urgently, "Please try to restrain the thief who bumped into you. You'll be a hero."  If the glory for catching a thief will motivate the Kasuga to help, it is a small price to pay for some answers.

Even as she makes her request, she watches the thief like a terrier watching a rat.   As soon as he is separated enough from Kasuga-san that the innocent person will not be stabbed, she will try to stab him.    Perhaps in the leg would be best, so that he doesn't try running again.

OOC: Thanks.  I'm glad I went with plan B. Poor Tortoise are already having a rough day. :o)   How many raises is a called shot to a leg?
Little Teacher
 GM, 5773 posts
Wed 30 Mar 2016
at 03:20
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 150):

Let me think. He's prone but squirmy...Kasuga-san-'s grapple is so so...Two raises but a TN of 10
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1141 posts
Wed 30 Mar 2016
at 14:01
Iuchi Lixue 


Lixue concentrated for a moment as the writhing thief tried to escape the Kasuga courtier's grasp.   At least it was easy to tell them apart: the frantic thrashing was (hopefully!) the thief.   When the thief kicked out his leg, she slammed the point of her spear through a layer of tent and into the criminal's leg.

Hopefully it would at least prevent him from fleeing again..

This message was last edited by the player at 14:12, Wed 30 Mar 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5774 posts
Fri 1 Apr 2016
at 03:42
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 152):

The thief screams and goes from squirmy to thrash under the point of your spear.

The chest flies free of his grip and the Kasuga picks it up as he stands. The Kasuga looks at the thief, the box, then you. So...ah...you are not one of the bandits are you?
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1142 posts
Fri 1 Apr 2016
at 04:02
Iuchi Lixue 
Lixue raises an eyebrow archly at the clumsy insult from the Kasuga.

How can he not remember who she is?   She introduced herself to everyone two days ago at the reception--and she was the only Unicorn there at the time. "This one is Iuchi Lixue."  She introduces herself graciously for a second time.  Hopefully he will get the hint, introduce himself and try to act polite.   She lets the Kasuga squirm a little on this faux pas while she arranges her prisoner.

"You, thief." She takes the spear out of the bandit's leg--so she can point to the spot on the ground that he going to sit.  "Sit there and don't move and be quiet. There are many more places I can stab you if you annoy me further."   Lixue neatly flicks the blood of her spear for punctuation of her threat.

"Is this your box that the thief stole?"  Lixue asks the rude Kasuga, cutting to the quick of the conversation.  As she noticed that the Kasuga was quick to recover the stolen 'item'.  "I am curious about why the thief targeted this box." She explains succinctly.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:42, Fri 01 Apr 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5775 posts
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 02:56
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 154):

Ah. This one is Kasuga Hitomi. Now that you think on it, you do not recall meeting him before.

Hitomi studies the box. No. It is not mine. Oh. See here. It has the emblem of the Mirumoto mon.
Doji Arata
 player, 1143 posts
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 05:16
Doji Arata
Arata takes the black cedar rod and runs a finger across the grain. He bends it slowly into a ninety degree angle to test the quality of the wood treatment.

"Excellent," he says. "We shall send word for our best fletchers without delay. If you have any specific requests, do let me know before tomorrow. Is there any other way we may be of use to you?"
Akodo Jubei
 player, 334 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 05:48
Doji Arata

22:46, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 32 using 7d10, dropping the 4 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.
22:46, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 33 using 8d10, dropping the 4 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.
22:46, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 58 using 8d10, dropping the 4 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.

It was not a good day for banditry. Jubei had his troops in motion with alacrity his father himself would be proud of, and he'd have no trouble gaining the bridge first and using it as a choke point. The enemy would be peppered by archers and their cavalry would be head off with a thicket of pikes. When they turned and ran, in comes the cavalry.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1143 posts
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 14:17
Iuchi Lixue 

It is with a little pleasant humor that Lixue comments, "It is always pleasant to meet a person of such excellent timing."

Lixue was surprised but pleased with this revelation. "Well, there is a turn of luck!" 

"May I have the chest?"  Lixue asks with interest.  She explains. "Ikoma-sama asked me to assemble Mirumoto-sama's belongings.  But his servant noticed that something was missing.   I have been puzzling over it all day, and I am glad we found it." 
Little Teacher
 GM, 5777 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 04:40
Doji Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 156):

I was just about to ask the same of you. Do you have accommodations? We keep a set of rooms at one of the finest inns in town. Please. Allow me to show you our poor hospitality.

Tsubaki leads you back out into the hallway. I must attend to some business. But if you would, please enjoy yourselves today. Tomorrow, I will call a meeting with the other ministers and we can finalize our arrangements.

Anything you want to tale to her about before we get to the next bit? Thanks
Little Teacher
 GM, 5778 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 04:49
Doji Arata
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 157):

Thanks for your patience. Do you want to try running a battle scenario? Or would you like me to decide it based on your rolls?

There seems little need to whip your men into action. They respond willingly and you make excellent time to the bridge. As you arrive, your advance scouts bring you word the enemy is within a half ri. This should give you ample time to prepare.

Trying to find a map the system will let me upload. The terrain has numerous trees on both sides of the river, but they are spaced out far enough to not be too much of an impediment to riders. Their are several tall ones on both sides by the road. No hills. The terrain is otherwise flat.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5779 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 04:52
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 158):

Oh? Is Mirumoto-San incapcitated? He hands you the chest as a Lion guard comes running up behind you.

Are you alright Iuchi-san? Kasuga-san? Is this the thief? The Akodo asks, regarding the bleeding peasant.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1144 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 05:07
Iuchi Lixue 
"My goodness, have you just arrived then?"  Lixue asks, honestly startled as she tucks the chest under her arm.  Has so much happened in the past..day and a half?

Lixue is about to explain that Mirumoto-sama is greeting his ancestors when the Lion arrives.  "Yes, I was very lucky that Kasuga-san arrived in such a timely manner, I am only pleased to have been of some small assistance."   She praises the Kasuga cheerfully, tucking the chest beneath her arm.   Possibly the Lion will observe the spear and the bleeding peasant and see through her modesty to her Barbarian Splendor.  But Lixue only has so much cunning for such situations.

"I think you'll want to have him interrogated him, but do you mind letting me ask some questions? "  Lixue asks, giving the Lion a smile and a small hint. "When it's convenient for Akodo-sama, certainly."

She listens for the sounds of battle with half an ear.  Have the bandits been subdued?

This message was last edited by the player at 14:06, Tue 05 Apr 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5780 posts
Wed 6 Apr 2016
at 04:41
Iuchi Lixue 
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 162):

It sounds like the fighting is over. However, as can be expected, there are the sounds of confusion, diplomats being indignant, and servants running to and fro.

Akodo-San glances around. Please make it quick Iuchi-san
Doji Arata
 player, 1144 posts
Thu 7 Apr 2016
at 01:41
Doji Arata
Arata bows graciously.

"We welcome your recommendation, but please do not trouble yourself too much. I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of our renewed co-operation."

Please go ahead. Sorry if I'm slowing down the pace, many late nights at work lately.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 335 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Thu 7 Apr 2016
at 03:18
Doji Arata
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 160):

(OOC:With some killer rolls leading into it, I should think I'd start with an advantage, but I do want to try the battle system. Mostly because the idea is to be a great general someday. I shouldn't do WORSE then my initial rolls indicate, at least.)
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1145 posts
Thu 7 Apr 2016
at 03:35
Iuchi Lixue 
Lixue bowed respectfully, "Thank you Akodo-san."

She approaches her captured thief.  "What do they call you around here?  I am very curious why you took something from the Dragon, please tell me what happened to put you in such a situation.  Clearly it must have been a great trial if it put you in such a dire circumstance.."   She says sympathetically, as she tries to coax what knowledge she can from her impromptu investigation.

Normally investigators ask one question at a time, but I know in the past I've lined them up to try to keep things moving.  Otherwise we could spend a month 'quickly' questioning this guy!  Please feel free to roll investigation etc...  I think this guy is probably too frightened to get much nuance off of "The Heart Speaks" but Lixue will try to eke out whatever she can from her investigative skills.

Questions:
1) Did he steal anything else?  (Or does he know of any other stolen items?)
2) Where did he hide the chest between when he stole it and now?
3)Where was he taking the chest?
4) Did he notice anyone visit with Mirumoto-sama while he was waiting to steal something?
5) Does he know who killed Mirumoto-sama?
6) Who is Kawani-sama?

This message was last edited by the player at 13:31, Thu 07 Apr 2016.