Some Time to Kill.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Little Teacher
 GM, 5885 posts
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 03:26
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 182):

Okie dokie

You spy the commander. A man younger than yourself who seems to be trying to rally his troops. Your eyes lock and he suddenly tears towards you.

Init. 18 here.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 379 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 04:49
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 183):


21:44, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 17 using 8d10, dropping the 6 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.
21:44, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 16 using 8d10, dropping the 6 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Damage.
21:43, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 25 using 8d10, dropping the 5 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.
21:43, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 40 using 8d10, dropping the 5 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Attack.
21:42, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 38 using 8d10, dropping the 4 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  INIT!

(Probably not quite enough to finish him off. 35 total damage. Honor bonus of +8 goes to the second attack roll of 25 for a total of 33. His armor bonus is ignored due to my school. I get a free raise due to my school on my attack rolls.

Also, goddamnit, I keep forgetting to add the honor bonus to my battle rolls. +8 would make a difference! Would've been a stalemate instead of losing. It's ANY ROLL.)

Jubei advances on the younger man. This seems to be his chosen personal role in battle. While he's a leader of men, he seems to enjoy personally chopping down enemy leaders. Taking the head off the snake is always a prudent idea.
Doji Arata
 player, 1163 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 03:28
Doji Arata
"Yes... duties," Arata mumbles and nods. Then nods again. A quiet snore signals that he has, in fact, nodded off.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1182 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 00:07
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 181):

"I see. How fortunate that I was already planning to try to bring harmony between you and the Tortoise.  Surely my efforts to persuade each side will make more hay than I hoped." Lixue says thoughtfully, her words are unhurried as she soaks in this additional layer.   It would give her a good reason to meet with Kasuga-san and exchange messages between the two wood-ducks. "that explains much, but of course not all I have heard.   Please forgive me if I ask the both of you questions in unseemly succession, if I do not grasp my thoughts quickly they will float out of reach.  Are there other enemies you have cultivated as part of your investigation or cover?  Is investigation something you will under take while you are here?  If so, is there anything you ought to tell me?  I am aware that things are very bad--even before the bandit attack.   But I have a handful of threads and few ideas about where they go."
Little Teacher
 GM, 5886 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 01:41
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 184):

The two of you exchange blows. And though he does land one, it is weak as he is stunned from your attack 7 wounds

He is up but just barely. His rolls were amazing though. Go ahead. Finish him up
Little Teacher
 GM, 5887 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 01:56
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 186):

With a quick glance at Kemari, who nods, Yuna begins. I believe some within my group are involved. We think Goji acts as either leader or messanger between the group here in Naishou and another group in the north. And we think the bandit villages in the north were both financed and encouraged by the Kolat. Since my Clan has quite a bit of influence in the river trading houses, it makes sense.

I was contacted by Mirumoto-San a couple of months ago. Though I had never dealt with him before, he said he had information for me regarding the Kolat. Kemari glances around, making sure no one has snuck upon your group. That seemed suspicious. I agreed to meet him, but only after I had verified his identity. Since I could not abandon my post here, I had to rely on trusted agents. That took time. I finally received a report confirming some details of his background. I told him we would meet here.

Yuna shakes her head. I had him under watch. But it seems I was too careless in watching my own people. That snake...I am positive it was smuggled in amongst my clan's baggage. I am not sure why it was used in the manner it was though. The attempt on his life during the duel seemed clumsy. But of course, it turned out to be moot. He was killed during the...events...earlier.

Pausing again for questions
Little Teacher
 GM, 5888 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 01:57
Doji Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 185):

Let us move onto the new thread.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 380 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 02:39
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 187):

19:37, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 28 using 8d10, dropping the 6 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Fatality!
19:37, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 25 using 8d10, dropping the 6 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Damage 1.
19:36, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 21 using 8d10, dropping the 5 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  FINISH HIM!
19:36, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 33 using 8d10, dropping the 5 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Attack.

(+8 honor bonus to the second attack roll for a total of 29. Using the rank 4 technique to negate his armor again. Total Damage of...a rather obscene 53.)

Jubei's sword was one with the great Lion of old, as he slashed twice more. The first slice went through his stomach. The second through his neck. This was one enemy commander that would join his ancestors. At least he'll be able to tell them he died in honorable combat.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:39, Fri 17 June 2016.

Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1183 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 05:05
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 188):

I thought that the snake was released during Doji Ocube and Akodo Jubei's duel.  Am I mistaken?

Lixue frowned, she knew little of the Kolat--mercifully so from what little she did know. "Well, I suppose it was good that I didn't kill him?  Is there anything to the strange behavior of the Phoenix?  I have heard they have been allowing bandits to shelter in their territory. And discouraging pursuit across the river."  It was a chancy thing to have been so tested about her advice with the strange merchant.   It is good to have a larger view of the forest, even though it is clear that the battle in front of them must be the source of their concentration.  "I am confused about why you think the snake was sent to kill Mirumoto-sama.  First, it appeared during Akodo-sama and Doji-san's duel.  Second--it was not poisonous enough to kill anyone.  It would be a painful bite, and distracting or disabling for the victim.  In light of the bandit attack, I thought it a ploy to make the Lion less effective, if their commander was distracted.  Or to keep Doji-san from prying.  I have little experience, in such matters--but it seems like investigators are the first to be targeted by such wickedness.    She observes darkly, remembering how during Winter court one magistrate had been killed by an axe, and another had spent his life to draw out Black Fingers.

 There are so many puzzles here--I know from observing Mirumoto-sama's belongings that he had at least 2 guests the evening of his murder.  Since you were watching him, do you know who they were?"   Lixue lays out plainly.  She also suspected that Mirumoto-sama knew the person who killed him, but perhaps it was best to be tactful about that fact.  It was almost as if she could hear Doji-san clearing his throat opaquely at her straightforwardness.

She frowns, "Perhaps we need not speak of your relationship--I have every respect for your discretion. But it seems a shame to not use what you might know about our enemies to protect more lives.  Are there any among the party that you would be willing to trust?   Even now, there are the prisoners that were trying to steal Mirumoto-sama's seal.  Do we need to consider a different line of questioning?  She glances at Ide-sama.  Does Kasuga-san know that this thief wore Kasuga-robes for this wickedness?  Is there something that should be done to identify his confederates.   "I know that your goals as an investigator are likely larger than this party, and what ever you reveal will find its way back to the Kolat eventually.  But without trust we will be hobbling our ability to use the strengths of others to survive these attacks."Lixue suggests practically, "What is it possible to reveal about your investigations that may give us some more arrows in our quiver?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:57, Sun 19 June 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5891 posts
Mon 20 Jun 2016
at 01:50
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 190):

As you finish up the commander, your men have broken the enemy line and are now rolling them into small groups. It is over except for cutting the necks of the cripples.

One of your officers runs up. Saluting he says quickly, Akodo-Sama. A rider from the camp arrived. The camp was attacked by a small group. The group has been dealt with but there were injuries. Two are dead.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5892 posts
Mon 20 Jun 2016
at 02:07
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 191):

It was. Yuna seems to be assuming the snake was released for Mirumoto's duel. Nice catch there.

Yuna cocksan eyebrow, puzzled. I had thought it was meant to target Mirumoto. But I was not present during his match nor the one previous. I had slipped aside to confer with someone over a trade agreement. Hmm. I was also told the snake was very dangerous.

Are you certain of those facts Lixue-san? That the snake was not present until the match between Doji-San and Akodo-sama's  duel? And that it was not deadly? He considers as you nod. Then you probably have the right of it. The snake may have just been meant for another purpose. We had been assuming everything was centered around killing Mirumoto-san. But...maybe there is another purpose? The truth is we do not know what the Kolat's goal in Naishou is. And we have not even scratched upon how the Phoenix fit into all this. He studies the sky.

Let us deal with the mysteries we have in front of us Yuna ticks off each point with her fingers. The incident with the snake. Mirumoto-San's death. The involvement of the foxes. And the attack on the camp. If we pull on at least one of those strings, the knot may unravel.

I think the foxes are outside our scope at the moment. And since it sounds like they are involved in Mirumoto-San's death, I would recommend putting that aside as well for now. He nods. Iuchi-San. You seem to have given thought to the incident with the snake. Will you investigate it further? I will look into the attack. Try to figure out who the target of the snake incident was. And how did the perpetrator know when to release it? We're the matches decided before hand?
Akodo Jubei
 player, 381 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Mon 20 Jun 2016
at 04:53
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 192):

Much as Jubei hates losing people, losses are inevitable in battle, and losses in honorable combat do much to honor the ancestors.

"Understood. See to it those who fell are treated with the honor they deserve."

Meanwhile, the prisoners of this group will be handed over to the eta questioners. For all he's done today, he can't be completely sure he's broken the entire group.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1184 posts
Mon 20 Jun 2016
at 11:24
Iuchi Lixue
So..when I checked my notes, Doji-san fought some random Akodo instructor.  Not Akodo Jubei.  Is that right?


Lixue considers the events now: Doji-san was of much higher rank than the Lion he faced in the duel.  And everyone seemed to know what a splendid investigator he was.  It is not just her deep affection for him that tell her he was probably the target.  It is also a certain amount of common sense.  He must have known.  What didn't he tell her that he thought there might be a second attack?  Lixue has the sudden feeling that they ought to talk.  But since Doji-san is not here, she just makes a mental invitation to be written out later.   It wasn't that he was in hot water with her, but they should have tea.

To the conversation at hand, she smiles with a touch of humor, deciding how much to tell Kasuga Yuna.  Some she might rather find out on her own.  "I can tell you more now.  It may become clear that Kasuga-san is in a better position to answer your questions than I am. The Kasuga with the Mantis style of fighting.  The one struck in the face.  He stumbled badly during his match.  I suspect he might have used the clumsy move to drop the snake--but one cannot easily be sure.  He had the match just before Doji-san and Mirumoto-sama.   I cannot think of any other way that the snake could have gotten to the field without being trod on earlier in the evening, though.  Also Kasuga Huzu seemed to react strangely to the sight of the snake.  At the time, I thought he might just be afraid of snakes. "

Lixue considers, "It would be awkward to pursue such questioning.  I suppose if you tell everyone to cooperate, I could do so--it would certainly add to the idea of Ide-sama's hostile quarrel towards the Tortoise. But they cannot be as candid with me as they are with one of their own clan."  If the Tortoise who was helping with the investigation about the snake wishes to continue to help, surely Kasuga Yuna's encouragement will be very useful.  Otherwise, she must surely already know.

She pauses, "As for the match arrangements, I have to guess that the matches were decided at least somewhat ahead of time--because everyone sat down to dinner and only got up for their match. I don't recall that they were called for before each match.  Usually the make a big show if they are chosen from a jar."
Little Teacher
 GM, 5893 posts
Tue 21 Jun 2016
at 02:05
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 194):

It is a little after sundown when you come within sight of the camp. There is a large pile of refuse and debris stacked to one side of the camp. And it looks like the camp is drawn tighter together. Outside of your men patrolling the perimeter, most everyone seems to have been brought into the center of camp.

Some of the men you left behind ride up. They provide updated reports. The total wounded comes to twenty six. The dead have already been cremated. The worst news though is the Raiders managed to scatter some of the camp's horses. Only about fifteen percent of the herd. But considering you now have wounded who will need to ride back in carts...

Miya-Sama sends for you. She has moved out of her tent, which now houses the wounded. She is using Bayushi Itaru's  tent for now. She is wearing a simple robe when you come in. She nods and gestures to a pillow across from her. Let us get down to business Akodo-San. What happened?
Little Teacher
 GM, 5894 posts
Tue 21 Jun 2016
at 02:16
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 195):

It was. For some reason my auto-correct keeps wanting to change the Akodo-san to Akodo-Sama in all instances. I didn't notice until just now when I was typing  Jubei's post. Sorry. It has been a rough month.


Hulu? Hmm. He has been asking a number of questions as of late. I had not thought him involved. Maybe he has the same ideas as you Lixue-san. Yuna taps her fingers against her arm. It may be time to speak to him.


Kemari nods. I will leave the investigation of the snake to you then Lixue. Let Yuna-Chan know of any developments. People believe you dislike me. So they trust you more than they would normally. No reason to remove that mask, neh?
Akodo Jubei
 player, 382 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Tue 21 Jun 2016
at 22:39
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 196):

Jubei considers how best to phrase this.

"The enemy was routed, and few of them escaped. The forces they sent to attack are lost. The casualties are relatively light, but they seem to have scared off some of the horses. Given the number of wounded from the skirmish, that will make travel slower. I get the feeling the enemy is not yet done."
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1185 posts
Fri 24 Jun 2016
at 03:17
Iuchi Lixue

Lixue agrees to her orders, but requests, "Kasuga-san, would you please let me know anything you find from your people?  I think they might be more forthright with you than me."  She considers telling Kasuga-san about the prisoner (and perhaps Kolat agent) wearing a Kasuga uniform, but then thinks that she already knows.  And if she doesn't, well disturbing the evidence would diminish it's value.  Perhaps it is Doji-san's influence that makes her more discreet about her full hand.

Lixue frowns as she answers Ide-sama. "How odd.  I haven't said anything, just been friendly to Lady Kasuga.  I suppose people have made their own assumptions.  May I suggest that you..not return the animosity?  Frankly, I am interested who comes looking for gossip about you.  And it will make it easier to carry messages between you." If they think I have a confidence, but are not aware of my loyalty.. she seems to convey with a little shrug.  "Besides, I may need to act on your behalf in this snake investigation.  You have a certain gravitas that I lack, as I'm sure Kasuga-san can admire."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:43, Sat 25 June 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5896 posts
Sun 26 Jun 2016
at 05:16
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 198):

Most likely not, no. She sighs. Besides the raid, we had another interesting episode. Two men...one of whom was impersonating someone from the Kasuga Clan...attempted to steal the writing set of Mirumoto-san. They were stopped. But both men are now with the eta. As are two of the raiders. However the torture has not yet begun. There has been too much going on in terms of caring for the wounded, putting out fires, and securing our supplies. I had hoped we could move out once you returned. But that seems  unlikely since evening is approaching fast. Do you think it advisable to set out anyway? I checked the map. Making it back to the city is out of the question. But...

She gestures to a maid who quickly spreads a map out between you. Here is a village of some size The Princess says tapping a spot which is probably five ri from your current location. And here, she says tapping a spot near the river about three and a half ri away, Is a trading post. There may be boats docked there. At least we can send someone downriver to the city to send word of the situation. What are your thoughts?
Little Teacher
 GM, 5897 posts
Sun 26 Jun 2016
at 05:20
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 199):

He considers your idea of dropping the mask a moment. Hmm. Perhaps. Let me think on it tonight. In the meanwhile do as you need about the snake.

Did you want to track down Ochube first? Or start looking into the snake first? Or something else. Let me know and I will move you to the new thread. Thanks.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1186 posts
Sun 26 Jun 2016
at 19:13
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 201):

OOC:  Lixue's currently daily schedule
          1) Talk to Ochube
          2) Talk to Akodo-sama
          -ask about looking for evidence in Kasuga tent
          -ask about finding thief's cousin
          -ask about shungenja fixing Raiden.  Because Raiden has useful skills.
          3) Snake investigation.

Akodo Jubei
 player, 383 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Tue 28 Jun 2016
at 03:47
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 200):

Jubei considered.

"With the reduced number of horses, it's inadvisable to try moving out at night, since there's also wounded to be considered. What I can do is send some of my men out for reinforcements."

His Cavalry could be sent to both locations to gather reinforcements.

"We will set out at daybreak for the trading post. Using boats is a good idea, with the current, they'll be faster then a horse. And the boats can carry wounded, which makes up for the lack of horses."

That doesn't mean he can't get reinforcements from the town, though, once he sends riders out to that end.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5901 posts
Wed 29 Jun 2016
at 02:09
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 202):

Sorry Lixue. You are on the new thread now. Thanks
Little Teacher
 GM, 5902 posts
Wed 29 Jun 2016
at 03:55
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 203):

Just to make sure I got it, you are going to hang at the camp tonight, send patrols to each of the locations she marked looking for reinforcements, and come daybreak move the main camp Out? And which way do you want the main camp to go? Let me know and we'll move to the new thread. Thanks
Akodo Jubei
 player, 384 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 02:04
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 205):

(OOC: That is the general idea. And I think the trading post is more useful to go to, because boats transport wounded people and make up a LOT for lack of horses.)
Little Teacher
 GM, 5905 posts
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 11:52
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 206):

Thanks. I will get the new post worked up and get it up this evening. Just need to work a few logistics out this afternoon. Thanks.