Some Time to Kill.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Little Teacher
 GM, 5782 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 01:54
Some Time to Kill
But I don't want to go among mad people
                                       -Lewis Carroll
Little Teacher
 GM, 5784 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 02:07
Doji Arata
It sounds like a brothel Hawasi mutters under his breath as you all stand out in the street looking at the sign above the gate. Perhaps The Happy Swallow Inn is a trifle suggestive. But it is more likely a reference to alcohol. Not that that is much of a step up. Still. Tsubaki recommended it. And from the outside it looks quite respectable. The Inn sits behind a low wall. Unusual for an inn. One of the guards is knocking on the gate and a young man appears. After a hurried consultation, he bows deeply and welcomes you in.

An old woman, matronly in appearance stands on the porch, bowing as you approach. Konichiwa. Welcome. Welcome. Please accept our poor hospitality. Behind her is a large open door looking into a common room with few guests. Those in here are Phoenix or Crab. They all dress well. And as you are seated at a table and fresh tea and sake are brought, you have to admit the decor is comforting and comfortable. This is easily the softest pillow you have ever sat on.

The matron sends the maid away to bring food. She bows to you again and offers you a small jar. <Brown>Please forgive my impertinence. But it is a custom of our Inn to offer each party a small token of good fortune. Would you be willing to take one Doji-sama? </Blue>. Inside are three small stones. One is colored deep red. One is colored silver. And the last seems simply a piece of polished sandstone.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5785 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 02:29
Akodo Jubei
As you direct your men to the most advantageous positions, another scout returns. The enemy has split their forces into three waves. The boar riders appear to be coming up front and strong. While the infantry has split into two wings. Probably they mean to line the shore with archers and attempt to coax you into a charge onto the bridge.

Okid dokie. A few things. First, this is more or less a practice battle. The troop size is too small for the usual mass combat scenario. But just to give you a good taste, we will have three battle turns. I am assuming you have read the mass combat rules. What level of involvement are you? Reserves, disengaged, engaged, or heavily engaged? Lastly go ahead and make your Battle/Perception roll for the first rojnd.
Little Teacher
 GM, 5786 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 02:34
Iuchi Lixue
The man is glancing around nervously at all three of you. He bites his lip and seems disinclined to speak. He pays no attention to the writing set. You wonder if he even really knows what it is. And oddly he is moving himself away from Hitomi and the guard. Not trying to escape. Just...weary of their movements. This is odd because you are the one who stabbed him. But he seems to be trying to draw closer to you in much the same way a puppy would crawl close to his mother at the sound of a stranger's raised voice.

Let me get an Awareness/Courtier check. It is not for what you think it is. I will give you his answer once I get it. The results of the roll may change a few things in what happens next
Akodo Jubei
 player, 337 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 05:08
Iuchi Lixue
22:04, Today: Akodo Jubei rolled 43 using 7d10, dropping the 3 lowest rolls, rerolling max, rerolling ones.  Battle+Per.

(...These guys are completely, utterly pwned, aren't they? And then I have Tactics to alter that even further.)

(Jubei, being a Lion of high honor (but also being a general)...I dunno. What level do Fizu-sama and my brothers and so on start at? I suspect either Disengaged or Engaged so they can monitor the battle or jump in as they see fit.))

This message was last edited by the player at 05:09, Sun 10 Apr 2016.

Little Teacher
 GM, 5788 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 05:36
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 5):

For this skirmish, I would expect you will win. The decision depends on how much you want to risk on the Heroic Opportunities table. The more engaged, the greater the challenge but more likely the prize of glory and honor. Just keep in mind that some opportunities can blow up in your face. It just depends on how risk averse you may be.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:37, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Akodo Jubei
 player, 338 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:23
Iuchi Lixue
(OOC: Well, the unusual thing is that Jubei himself is the general, instead of that being an NPC. So I guess instead of 'protect the general', I'd have a 'protect yourself' heroic opportunity. I dunno. Anyways...I think I'll start at engaged. Even though I'm not quite sure if that's the traditional level for Lion Generals or not. I'd be taking cues from Fizu-sama and my father and such.)