Castle Oredol.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 255 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 16:07
Castle Oredol
Reaching the castle of Duke Amaran of Oredol was largely uneventful. Villages and towns became thicker as they drew near, and a small city - at least thrice the size of Trademeet - nestles itself around the castle's walls. The overall opulence of the city of Oredol is not terribly impressive compared to that of Trademeet, but the castle itself is in excellent condition. The drawbridge and portcullis are well maintained, though a patina of dust and dirt caked on the bridge's connection point to the main road indicates that it hasn't been raised in quite some time. It would seem Oredol, at least, is peaceful.

Duke Amaran is formal and polite to the three knights, but those with the skill to read a man can tell that he only really likes Sir Clavien (with whom he shares approximate age). He seems pleasantly surprised when no captives arrive with the knights, and is effusive in his apologies for any inconvenience caused by their actions when he realizes who the Trademeet delegation really is. "I am most honored to host Traders here. Please, if you need anything, let my servants know. We always value our business dealings with our neighbors," he'd said before inviting the entire group to dine with him that evening and giving them very posh suites in the castle.

Unlike Sir Methius, Duke Amaran apparently doesn't think of the people from Trademeet (and those traveling with them) as security threats, having posted only as many guards as one might to protect valued guests and left them with the run of the castle. They have a solar connecting all of their suites, and even Freverick and Sevastian have their own rooms. Nath finally has a playmate his own age in Duke Amaran's son, as well, who is fascinated by the self-proclaimed "pirate" Galen. Unless kicked out of the room, the lordling is trailing after the good Captain and hanging on his every tale of daring-do...assuming the Captain obliges.

A servant announcing that dinner would be in half an hour has just left the group's private solar. The knights aren't around, and the barracks to which their men have been relegated are definitely not this nice, so that gives everyone a chance to take a breather, for once not surrounded by those who are at best suspiciously neutral. Amaran seems determined to make them feel like honored guests.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:10, Tue 11 Oct 2011.

Merlin
 player, 166 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 06:15
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #1):

Merlin is out of 'costume', but still has his pack unobtrusively under his full cape. While he is not the best at such things, at the very least he will say,

"I must say, this is more than I had expected. Better accommodations I have not had in over a year. A warm soft bed without the wind whipping through ones hair could be gotten used to."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 174 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 13:04
Re: Castle Oredol
Beatrix is dressed in another fine outfit - she seems to carry quite a few with her. "It is far preferable to sleeping in a tent just off the road, yes. I always enjoy having an actual bed at the end of a journey, be they long or short. And I do look forward to dinner - from the smell, I'd say our gracious host is preparing quite a meal."
"The good Duke does greatly value his economic relationship with Trademeet. As such, I believe our host is attempting to apologize for the inconvenience caused by his contemporary, Duke Lothus. He does not consider us a problem, and I hear tell he was annoyed about having to let the knights through his land on this mission to harass us."
As a servant comes in with tea and Bea nods, thanks her, and sends her back out. "By the by, has anyone else noticed that all of the unusually abundant servants here are young, female, and at least somewhat attractive?", she asks conversationally.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 262 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 05:05
Re: Castle Oredol
Said numerous and at least moderately attractive chambermaids make frequent ins and outs to the guests' suite, offering to arrange their beds or their travel packs or to arrange for sweets to be brought up. They're mostly professional, but Sevastian, as a Dragonblooded butler and thus exotic fellow-servant, finds himself the target of more than a little flirting.

"I had noticed," agrees Fire Soul primly. Much to her irritation, Ocean Soul keeps receiving a share of the same...and returns it in kind, though it's questionable whether he's aware it is flirting.

Three rather insistent chambermaids are mock-fighting over who gets to set up the mysterious Captain August Galen's quarters by unpacking his travel packs and arranging them conveniently. They haven't even successfully noticed what the man HAS for traveling gear, as they seem more interested in using this as an excuse to try to winkle out tales of daring-do from the self-proclaimed air pirate.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:09, Mon 10 Oct 2011.

Merlin
 player, 167 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 15:57
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #3):

"In truth I had not, the bed was so inviting I had eyes for nothing else. Now that you mention it though, I believe you are correct."

When alone he says, "This apparent difference of opinion between the Dukes is most likely geography based. The more prosperous Duke closer to Trademeet sees it as a boon, while the Duke that is being raided by beast-men sees it as an opportunity to regain what he has lost. Will it take their King to even things out? Should we volunteer to bring the beast-men to their knees?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:58, Mon 10 Oct 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 175 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 21:48
Re: Castle Oredol
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow. "That is certainly an interesting proposition, Merlin, and a daring one. On the one hand, all would be relieved to not have the barbarians at the gate, as it were. While some of the dukes might miss the leeway that the threat of invasion granted them, I would assume they would prefer to have the threat lessened than allow it to remain. We would also need to be sure not to make it seem to easy, or Falan may grow fearful. But then, I am not a master of strategy."

She turns to Merlin. "What do you think it would take to do this? Do you know much of the Beastman forces?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 31 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 02:01
Re: Castle Oredol
Segev Stormlord:
Nath finally has a playmate his own age in Duke Amaran's son, as well, who is fascinated by the self-proclaimed "pirate" Galen. Unless kicked out of the room, the lordling is trailing after the good Captain and hanging on his every tale of daring-do...assuming the Captain obliges.


Galen is quite flattered at the youth's interest in tales from the Captain's past. The problem was that the Captain had a large share of campaigns that would not be wise to share. Words had to be picked carefully so as not to come back to haunt the pirate. Also, one of the main reasons Galen was here was to get more adventures under the belt, so there where few truly epic battles to tell as of yet.

Galen tries to fluff out the tales told, telling details on the slave trade and the traders in the beginning as a literary device to build up the opposition, but also to avoid talking about how the Captain exactly operates. Galen couldn't tell where the freedmen where dropped off, and with who's help, for instance.

Thankfully there where a bountiful number of colorful and eccentric Mortal Slavers and Slaves to make the tales colorful and unique.

The Captain also shares part of a larger tale involving the taming of a giant beast the size of an island that kept harassing Glaen's ship. It is then that the Captain decides it is best to leave his young audience wanting more, and escorts the boy back to his own chambers and makes sure his guardians are aware of where the boy is.

Segev Stormlord:
Three rather insistent chambermaids are mock-fighting over who gets to set up the mysterious Captain August Galen's quarters by unpacking his travel packs and arranging them conveniently. They haven't even successfully noticed what the man HAS for traveling gear, as they seem more interested in using this as an excuse to try to winkle out tales of daring-do from the self-proclaimed air pirate.


Galen's eye pop out briefly. "Oh boy." The Captain quickly tries to b-line for any duffel-bags, unsure if they where packed with the proper amount of digression. Galen tries to distract the ladies with some of the tales told to the Duke's son, though the Captain tries to weave in some alterations, focusing on parts the young lord seemed to like and leave out the parts the boy seemed less interested in. In this way, Galen is trying to perfect the stories and thus hope to use then as propaganda to advance the abolitionist agenda.

If the tales are sufficiently distracting, Galen tries to slyly lake the baffle-bag back and unpack the Captain's own duffel-bag. Galen would hate to build an early reputation as a pervert if they found Galen's collection of woman's bras and panties, all of different sizes and colors. And what if they fold them wrong?! Such beautiful underwear does not grow on trees!

(21:57, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 3 successes using 8d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Performance to distract.

21:58, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 1 success using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Larceny to take Buffle-bag back.)

Merlin
 player, 168 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 04:47
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #6):

"I, in fact, know nothing of the barbarian forces, but that is a problem that can be solved by some judicious scouting. The real problem might be their master, who may be an Exalt, godling, or Fae. Falan has not made itself an easy target and from my experiences in the North with the various tribes if its not easy or necessary for survival it wont be hit. Cost-Benefit analysis, of course. Weakening them by taking out a leader or the leader might be all that is necessary. Poisoning their water supplies, burning grass fields that their herds feed on, or just finding some plague victim and dropping them off could all thin the ranks of the barbarians. However, doing such things generally have unforeseen consequences."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 263 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 06:15
Re: Castle Oredol
Tales and flirting are easy enough ways to convince the serving maids to leave well enough alone. They may not even have noticed that Galen didn't let them unpack for him. The Duke's son, Marran, eats up the adventure bits, and seems to find the slavers to be adequately hate-able villains. The maids were more interested in the dashing rescue of fair maiden slavegirls, though they were suitably appreciative of the young lordling's favored parts if Galen seemed proud of them.

In all, however, the only 'servants' left are finally Hun, Poe, and Sevastian and Freverick. Nath has gone to attend his Knight, and even Hun and Poe seem to be busy in a corner, arguing quietly about something.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 176 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 21:30
Re: Castle Oredol
Beatrix sips her tea, smiling as she listens to a sparrow sing outside the window, her long, pointed ears (a sure sign she's spent a little too much time in the Bordermarches) pricking to catch the sound.
As the Captain's search becomes a little more frantic, however, she turns to observe him. "Good Captain, are you quite alright? Do you perhaps require some manner of assistance?" Perhaps with giving these maids something else to busy themselves with?
Captain August Galen
 player, 32 posts
Sat 15 Oct 2011
at 14:23
Re: Castle Oredol
Beatrix LeSchaye:
As the Captain's search becomes a little more frantic, however, she turns to observe him. "Good Captain, are you quite alright? Do you perhaps require some manner of assistance?"


Uh-oh. "Oh no. I am merely making sure I have not..." Think fast. "...accidentally attracted any unwanted passengers in my bags. There are so many little critters that try to catch a ride from the wild."

The bag the Captain is first searching is not the one with the questionable paraphernalia. Which of the other two in the room could it be in?

It would be good to find which one and mark it to keep track of these things. Besides, August hoped to add to the c collection this evening when everyone was asleep.

(Galen lies to LeSchaye about what The Captain is doing with the duffel-bags:
10:12, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 2 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Lie, Larceny+Manip.)
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 179 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 03:38
Re: Castle Oredol
Beatrix adopts a bemused expression. "Oh my yes," she says dryly. "Especially this close to the Wyld, one must be ever vigilant against invasions of flesh-eating piranha squirrels. Dear me, perhaps you do need a hand with that, and well it is that I am armed."
She stands, heading for Galen's end of the suite. Think fast, Captain!

This message was last edited by the player at 03:39, Mon 17 Oct 2011.

Captain August Galen
 player, 35 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 12:52
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #12):

Galen trows the first duffel-bag over a shoulder and runs over to the second bag and grabs it. The Captain then sweats looking at the third one still across the room as LeSchaye approaches. Not enough time. "But, I am OK doing it myself. Wait. What are you armed with?" This could go badly.
Merlin
 player, 171 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 17:24
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #13):

"A flesh-eating piranha mongoose!"

Merlin seems less amused that the good Captain is not taking things seriously, but he knows how to jump in.
Captain August Galen
 player, 37 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 12:12
Re: Castle Oredol
Merlin:
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #13):

"A flesh-eating piranha mongoose!"


"Really? Can I... see it?" says The Captain with wide eyes. Nothing about the Wyld was out of question to Galen, and such a specimin would make a great subject for future projects.

Galen's na´vetÚ distracts the Captain from the last chance to secure the third duffel bag across the room, leaving it open for LeSchaye to open it.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:12, Sat 22 Oct 2011.

Merlin
 player, 172 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 18:54
Re: Castle Oredol
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #15):

Merlin comes up with his own hand wrapped in his cloak, moving it somewhat here and there in ways that an arm shouldn't move, but can. As the gets right next to Galen he stumbles a little bit, intentionally, and the mongoose hand wiggles a whole bunch. Going for the gold, Merlin has the 'mongoose' leap out to 'bite' Galen's outstretched limb!