Dinner with the Duke.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Captain August Galen
 player, 68 posts
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 09:27
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #19):

((OOC: Yay!))

The chunk of meat tries to launch out of Galen's mouth and zing across the table, but the Captain's overly large & tall collar catches it expertly. The meat is directed to roll down the front of the pirate's uniform, squiggling uncomfortably.

Galen coughs hoarsely, holds a hand to mouth, and tries to discreetly make sure no teeth got lose or fell out.

"Cough! So-Sorry. The food was so food, I forgot to swallow."

"My complements to the chief."
Galen raises a glass in a little toast.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:24, Wed 07 Dec 2011.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 13 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 22:17
Re: Dinner with the Duke
  "I am of course a Lunar and Seven Thunder Leaves apprentice. As for what I am prepared to do. Well all my instructions were to travel with you all and gather information on the beastmen. I dislike them so any chance to crack a few of their skulls would be pleasant. Is there anything that you would know of me?" Alistr is fairly serious through out his little speech as if this is the most he has spoken in a while.
Merlin
 player, 194 posts
Sat 10 Dec 2011
at 01:29
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #21):

"Then for now do what you have been doing and stay out of sight until we are back in our rooms. At that point I will make introductions. From there we can discuss what to do next. The Lady is doing what is politically necessary, as are the rest of us currently. Alternately you can just stay in my belt pouch and sit through the dinner?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 300 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 06:27
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke's wife signals, and the urgent rush for the castle's medical practitioner subsides. She looks with genuine concern at August Galen, asking, "Are you sure you are alright, Captain? We wouldn't want you to perish before trying more of this food, so please do chew first!" Her tone is polite, poised, and contains just the right mix of gentle mirth and genuine concern.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 14 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 12:20
Re: Dinner with the Duke
   "Your belt pouch sounds fine. Just one request could you sneak me a biscuit or some thing like it. I have been on the road most of the day and I had to hustle leaving so next to no foodstores. I feel rather stupid having to ask that, but I ask none the less. Just let me know when we get to the room so the group of us can talk and we can make introductions. I would go wait in the room, but I have no idea where it is." Alistr looks a little sheepish at asking for the food but he does so anyway. The look just doesn't seem to look right on him for some reason like he shouldn't be sheepish so it comes off as almost comical.
Merlin
 player, 195 posts
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 05:11
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #24):

"Sounds good. Do your thing and lets get the show on the road. I can only be gone so long before they send somebody to 'see if I need help'."

Merlin opens an almost empty pouch at his belt, that has a bit of wire with a couple small coins made to look like the pouch is full. His real cache of cash is somewhere completely else.
Captain August Galen
 player, 69 posts
Wed 28 Dec 2011
at 01:44
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Segev Stormlord:
The Duke's wife signals, and the urgent rush for the castle's medical practitioner subsides. She looks with genuine concern at August Galen, asking, "Are you sure you are alright, Captain? We wouldn't want you to perish before trying more of this food, so please do chew first!" Her tone is polite, poised, and contains just the right mix of gentle mirth and genuine concern.


August laughs a pinch nervously. "Oh-ho! Too true. I thank you for your concern, your Grace." Galen sits down, with a thoughtful look.

"I must say, the noble dukes and the red king you speak of sound fascinating. Could I trouble you with more of these tales?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Wed 28 Dec 2011.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 16 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 28 Dec 2011
at 15:02
Re: Dinner with the Duke
  Alistr concentrated for a second and seems to fold into himself. Becoming a small grey mouse. He climbs into Merlin's pouch and gets settled for a good wait. He bides his time by going over schema for building artifacts and forging things in general.
Merlin
 player, 198 posts
Thu 29 Dec 2011
at 17:29
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #27):

Merlin heads back to the banquet table and sits down to eat some more of whatever is there. Its a feast to his northern appetites regardless. He smiles at those that need smiles, he nods when he needs to nod, but in general, he keeps his comments to himself and lets those that are so much more skilled do the talking.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 305 posts
Tue 3 Jan 2012
at 06:17
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke's son pipes up in response to Galen's request, "The first King was Exalted, and came in the land's darkest hour to unite the first Dukes to fight off the terrible forces that betrayed the gods and were tearing apart the lands! He ruled for hundreds of years and then left, promising he'd be back again some day. There was this one time he--"

The Duke chuckles and interjects as the young prince takes a drink, creating a pause in the tale, "My son enjoys the more fanciful versions of the stories, understandably."

"Aw, DAAAD, I was going to tell about the crown and the mask!"

Sighing indulgently, the Duke allows, "Perhaps they WOULD enjoy hearing that one." He leans over to Beatrix, taking her hand in his to whisper, "There really isn't a mask, not anymore. The scholars tell us that the original rulers used tribal masks to mark their station, rather than the modern and more civilized crowns. But even they're not sure if that was truly unique to the rulers, or just a tradition of the warriors to try to out-intimidate the beastmen." Though his tone is conspiratorial, it's not so quiet that his wife and the other guests at the high table can't also hear it, even as the young prince launches into a boistrous telling of a cultural fairy tale.
Captain August Galen
 player, 71 posts
Thu 5 Jan 2012
at 02:46
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #29):

Galen's eyes raise with appreciation at the young prince's enthusiasm for storytelling. "Fascinating, and well put, Your Grace. What was the evil power that betrayed the gods?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 306 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2012
at 06:45
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"A terrible monster in human form! It took over all--" pipes up the prince, Nath leaning forward to listen with interest.

The Duke leans over and stage whispers corrections. "It was demons in human guise. Some tales called them 'Anathema,' but that could be an invention of the Immaculates. Might even be Ma Ha Suchi and his beastmen."

"Daaaaad!" hisses the prince, going on, "--all of the world, or it tried. But the first King and the Dukes - I'm descended from the first Duke of Oredol!" he adds with pride, " - defended the people and held them off."
Captain August Galen
 player, 72 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 15:31
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #31):

Galen's eyes widen with a bit of surprise. "In human guise... Does the tale tell of what powers these demons had, young Master?"
Merlin
 player, 199 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 19:44
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #32):

Merlin, while listening intently, makes sure that many small morsels of the tastiest kinds find their way to the little pouch.

It seems that the old duke was likely a half-blood of some kind, able to wield essence and perhaps left over artifacts against most likely his estranged kinsman. I would like to have somebody study that 'crown' they are talking about.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 307 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 22:34
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The prince beams at the attention, and Nath leans in, nearly - but not quite yet - spilling the flagon he holds. "They corrupted the land and turned it against the people," answers the prince, practicing a tone he's likely heard from bards and minstrels when telling tales. His lilting juvenile voice cracks once or twice, but he pretends not to notice. "Their powers let them call fire from the skies and twist the plants and smother the breath from all. They could see from on high despite their mortal forms being on the ground." He thinks a moment. "The stories are a little confusing, sometimes, though; in some, the beastmen serve the demons, while in others, a friendly beastman or camp of the same helps rescue the King and his Knights from the overwhelming numbers of the demonic horde."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 19 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 8 Jan 2012
at 20:08
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Alistr eats the biscuit that Merlin slips him and takes a nap while in his mouse form.
Sevastian
 player, 117 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 10 Jan 2012
at 15:50
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Sevastian leans in to Lady LeSchaye.
"Most likely they are refering to the Fey."
He advises in a whisper.

The dragon then stands and extracts his violin from his bag.  He begins to play a light tune.  Loud enough to be heard by all, but quiet enough to not interrupt conversation.  It is quite mysterious how he can fill the room with music when playing so softly.
Merlin
 player, 200 posts
Tue 10 Jan 2012
at 17:23
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Sevastian (msg #36):

"Such an extraordinary tale. It makes me want to be a member of the family so that I might have such an illustrious family line. As fate would have it, I was born in the north and learned how to use a wing board instead."

Merlin can only hope that there is further inquiry and that perhaps he can give a demonstration. He will have to unpack his board out of the ground groups supplies, but that is a small thing.
Frevrick
 player, 4 posts
 Resplendent Destiny
 The Sorcerer
Wed 11 Jan 2012
at 04:08
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"REALLY!?" exclaim Freverick, Nath, and the young prince all at the same time. "Can you show us?" asks the prince. "Can I please go see, Uncle?" asks Freverick of the violin-playing butler.

Even Hun and Poe are clearly interested, though they're keeping their professionally serious faces on. Poe, in an effort to conceal her interest, instead asks, "Could these 'demons' have been the fair folk?" Clearly voicing Sevastian's thought as if it were her own.

The Duke smiles beatifically at her, none of the lechery he sometimes spares for the serving girls (and oft has for Beatrix) evidenced as he looks at the young girl. "Doubtful. But, if they were, then the king and my ancestor drove them far, far away. We are many months' travel from the Bordermarches, and I know of no enclaves of the wreched Elves nearby. I think even the dread Ma Ha Suchi would turn on them were they in the area. ...actually, that would probably be worse than anything else. It might get him to come down here in force."
Merlin
 player, 201 posts
Fri 13 Jan 2012
at 18:41
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Frevrick (msg #38):

"Of course, I would be happy to provide a demonstration. I just have to unpack it from our supplies and find a proper location to launch from."

Merlin smiles at the various youngsters interested seemingly ignoring the Fae issue.
Sevastian
 player, 118 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 13 Jan 2012
at 18:56
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Sevastian continues his playing.
"Indeed, I am sure it would be quite a sight to see."
Captain August Galen
 player, 73 posts
Mon 16 Jan 2012
at 20:12
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The magic was cast.

The admiral's hands raised into the air and the gathering clouds overhead erupted with crimson flames. The admiral pointed down at the nearly countless hordes of deva screaming far below the admiral's zeppelin. The clouds obeyed and rained droplets of plasma on the beasts. Their rage filled faces dropped to expressions of doomed terror. A wide smile crept over the normally cold face of the ship's master.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The magic was cast.

A hand flicked in the direction of the outraged goblins, and the trees loudly screamed as their forms convulsed. Hard bark took a fluidity and branches spun and weaved themselves around the Wyld hordes, strangling the weaker ones and binding the strong. The fisher-monger's wife who cast the spell lunged at them with the long knife she used to decapitate and gut her fish. She applied her trade on the goblin's, and their heads briefly filled the air of the jungle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The magic was cast.

The soldiers of the realm collapsed onto the deck, their blue faces contorting and gasping. A bearded man wrapped in a red cloak promptly stepped to the closest of the soldiers to run them through and quickly end it for the doomed, young men.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galen stopped staring at the tapestry and pushed aside the strange memories that suddenly came to the pirate with an abnormal ease.

If the memories were correct, Galen knew odd Artifacts, Sorcery and Charms could perform similar feats. Perhaps the Immaculates were correct. Perhaps Celestials had been the 'demons' in this tale.

Galen smiled warmly and turned to the Duke. "Your son has a gift words. I would not be surprised if he becomes quite the orator."

Galen turns to Merlin. "Ah. Yes! We have good food, company, and story. A grand show of skill would be the only way to make such a grand evening even better. I would like to see this."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Tue 17 Jan 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 193 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 17 Jan 2012
at 15:49
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Duke Amaran:
He leans over to Beatrix, taking her hand in his to whisper, "There really isn't a mask, not anymore. The scholars tell us that the original rulers used tribal masks to mark their station, rather than the modern and more civilized crowns.


Beatrix doesn't resist the hand-holding, nor does she sign any sign of noticing or objecting to it. She does smirk at the comment, however; "Ah, yes. I myself find that crowns are a great deal more honest than masks."

Sevastian:
Sevastian leans in to Lady LeSchaye.
"Most likely they are refering to the Fey."
He advises in a whisper.


"I've dealt with the Raksha before," replies Beatrix to Sevastian. "In spite of the superstitious sound of it, it really is an apt description. No matter the sort of business you conduct with them, they are ever looking at you, wondering how they can consume your mind. What I do wonder about," she says, "Is the identity of the rescuers, in that version of the tale."

Captain August Galen:
Galen turns to Merlin. "Ah. Yes! We have good food, company, and story. A grand show of skill would be the only way to make such a grand evening even better. I would like to see this."


"Hear hear," says Beatrix, smiling just enough to dimple. "Music, a story and a flying man; we seem to be having quite the evening, do we not? Come, Merlin, let us have a show."
Merlin
 player, 202 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2012
at 03:22
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"Of course, m'Lady, when the rest of you are finished with dinner, I should have the board unpacked. I will find a suitable location to launch from. Our hosts and their guests just need to have a place from which to watch."

Merlin will excuse himself and goes and unpacks his wingboard and finds a place to launch from. Hopefully he can find a good up thermal somewhere. The town should be good with its fires and heat divesting homes.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 308 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2012
at 03:54
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"That is a curious expression," comments the Duchess to Beatrix, "How are crowns more honest than masks?" If she has noticed her husband's flirting, she is doing a fantastic job of hiding it.

Sir Vaniel comments, "They do not hide the face, I suppose. But it was likely our ancestors' tribal nature that made the masks have so much significance to them. We have come a very long way from those uncivilized times."

Word of Merlin's promised display is making its way around the banquet hall, and many eyes are on him as he leaves.