Dinner with the Duke.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 293 posts
Sun 20 Nov 2011
at 13:52
Dinner with the Duke
When the party from Trademeet Dale is ready to go and steps out of the room, Kelly hops away from Sevastian, blushing profusely but pretending very hard not to be. "This way, m'Lady, m'Lords," she says, bowing slightly and turning to lead the way through torch-lit halls.

Glass is rare and sparing in this castle; where the windows are closed against the elements, they are shuttered. Where they can be seen through, they are largely arrow-slits that are open to the outside. Tapestries depicting coats of arms and ancient battles, nobles at court and even some scenes which seem to depict a set of five men kneeling before an old man in red, or otherwise doing obeisance. In several, they are offering swords or - in one - a single arrow each, to this man.

Attractive girls between the ages of fifteen and forty make up the majority of the serving staff past whom Kelly leads them, though any guardsmen on patrol are, in fact, men. Hun is definitely enjoying the view, and Poe keeps getting irritated with him for not paying attention to her discussion of things they still need to do. It only seems to annoy her more when the boy can rattle off what she was talking about when she was sure he was ignoring her.

It's about a five minute walk from the suite to the dining hall; it's not that the castle is that BIG, but there doesn't seem to be an actually straight path anywhere; one must criss-cross the castle to get from one room to another, when it's possible that the dining hall was actually on the same side, physically, of the building as the suite itself.

The dining hall features eleven tapestries lining the stone walls, with fresh rushes strewn across the floor and children playing with dogs in the corners. Tables fill the hall, and guardsmen in livery bearing a sheaf of wheat shedding golden coins are already present at each of them; other coats of arms are also present, including those of each of the knights who were in that...diplomatic envoy...to Trademeet Dale.

The two best-dressed children are wearing livery bearing the same wheat-and-coin coat of arms, and flank the chair at the head of the high table. Sirs Clavien, Methius, and Vaniel are seated at the same table with three or four guardsmen from their retinues, each. Vaniel rises to pull out a seat left vacant to the right hand of the head chair, smiling charmingly to Beatrix.

When Ocean Soul mimics the behavior for Fire Soul, the girl actually seems surprised, but takes her seat with grace. Hun sits to her left, which places him next to Johy, who seems to be one of the guardsmen Methius brought to attend him at the high table.

The Duke himself does not seem to be present just yet.
Merlin
 player, 190 posts
Sun 20 Nov 2011
at 23:03
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #1):

Merlin takes this all in and mentally picking out places to hide, ricochet off of, and any dangers not apparently obvious upon first glance. During this he makes sure to catch the eye of the three Knights and give each a small bow of acknowledgment. Despite what any others do, he will remain standing until the Duke takes his seat
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 294 posts
Thu 24 Nov 2011
at 19:38
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The serving girls and some cooks - discernible by being stouter and less attractive than the maids - scurry out with the first course: a light repast of roast ducks accompanied by a pale wine chilled in the cellars below the castle before being served up here. The Duke's wife - a handsome woman in her mid-thirties with black hair pulled severely back from her face but allowed to flow freely behind her where two white locks brushing up from her temples frame it on either side - comments on the manners of Fire and Ocean Soul to Beatrix, asking, "Are they your brother and sister, Lady LeSchaye? Their garb is a bit plain, but they seem to bear themselves with your nobility."

The Duke - a man of about Sir Clavien's age with a russet-brown goatee kept neatly trimmed - smiles charmingly. "It is always a pleasure to meet with dignitaries from Trademeet Dale," he says, passing a honey-based sauce down the line, "but I must confess I'd never expected them to send such beauty, as well. I do hope Trademeet understands that Oredol seeks nothing but friendship and profitable trade with them."

Serving girls flirt shamelessly with Captain August Galen, and even jest about whether or not there is a raid planned on the castle. Merlin easily notices that the Duke's son keeps glancing at the three knights at the table, trying to emulate them and look noble and heroic. A difficult feat for a boy surrounded by grown men and women at a feast table.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:41, Thu 24 Nov 2011.

Nath
 player, 2 posts
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 19:35
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Waiting attendance on Sir Vaniel, Nath presents his very best serious demeanor, striving to out-do the tow well-dressed pages flanking the Duke's chair in his impassiveness. The boy does his best to hide his relief each time Vaniel sends him to fetch something, or deliver some morsel to a higher-ranked noble at one of the lower tables in a show of diplomacy; it's obviously difficult for him to hold still for so long, even if he can be very diligent in any activity he's assigned.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 192 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 2 Dec 2011
at 20:30
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Beatrix smiles politely. "No, madam, these are no relations of mine, but rather promising young business associates who have accompanied me on this journey. However, I thank you for the compliment all the same."

"As for you question, Duke, we have ever had splendid relations with Oredol, and it is not your lands that are of any untoward concern to me. I know you bear us know ill will, as amply displayed by your impeccable hospitality. Rather, it is Duke Lothus of Watch Hill who has me worried, for he has formed some very peculiar ideas about Trademeet, and what is more, he has acted upon them in a most unpleasant manner."

After having a sip of wine, she continues; "Dear sir Amaran, do you know anything of Duke Lothus that you could share with us?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 10 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 2 Dec 2011
at 21:14
Re: Dinner with the Duke
  While everyone's eyes are looking elsewhere a small mouse darts across the floor. It skitters under tables and around peoples feet even seeming to stop for traffic as it were. It reaches the group of people from Trademeet Dale and looks at them for a moment. Then it runs over to the well dressed young man and climbs his cloak. The mouse then sits on his shoulder and tugs his ear trying to get his attention.

15:06, Today: Alistr Hamrsoung rolled 40 using 6d10 with rolls of 2,8,9,5,6,10. Stealth + Dex.  4 Successes. At least that is what you might see. Merlin the tugs are on you.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 295 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2011
at 23:00
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke's smile falters just a touch as Beatrix calls him "Sir," but he seems not to have taken any offense. "I was never knighted, my Lady," he replies with a roguish grin. "My lord father had me busy learning to count coins for my older brother. Regarding Duke Lothus...he is a temperamental man. I hear his commonfolk either love or fear him, if not both, depending on who you ask. Personally, I find him a bit abrasive - apologies to his loyal Knights - but he strikes me as a good ally, cold friend, and bad enemy."

The Duke's wife frowns primly at her husband's frank appraisal, and adds, "My lord the Duke means no disrespect of his fellow protector of the King's lands. Duke Lothus has a hard fight at all times, you see, and that can make for hard men." She glances at her son out of the corner of her eye, as if to make certain he is not getting any improper ideas for how to speak of others. "I must say, as sad as the tidings that must bring you through, Lady LeSchaye, it is wonderful to meet one of the nobility of the Dale. So often, it is merely common traders coming through."

The Duke interjects quickly, "And we're always delighted when they do. But my lady wife is correct; we're most pleased to meet you, personally."
Captain August Galen
 player, 64 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2011
at 00:58
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Segev Stormlord:
Tapestries depicting coats of arms and ancient battles, nobles at court and even some scenes which seem to depict a set of five men kneeling before an old man in red, or otherwise doing obeisance. In several, they are offering swords or - in one - a single arrow each, to this man.


"Interesting," muses Galen to no one in particular. When the Duke enters, The Captain makes sure to see what color he wears.

Segev Stormlord:
Serving girls flirt shamelessly with Captain August Galen, and even jest about whether or not there is a raid planned on the castle.


Galen takes a drink. "Oh? Do you want to join my crew? I could use an inside woman."

Alistr Hamrsoung:
15:06, Today: Alistr Hamrsoung rolled 40 using 6d10 with rolls of 2,8,9,5,6,10. Stealth + Dex.  4 Successes. At least that is what you might see. Merlin the tugs are on you.


((OOC: 19:53, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 1 success using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+Awar to spot Alistr.

I don't think that worked.

Are all the PCs sitting at the same table?))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 296 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2011
at 01:06
Re: Dinner with the Duke
((OOC: All PCs are sitting at the same table, yes. And no, you did not beat his stealth roll, so at BEST you noticed that there is, in fact, a mouse. If that.))
Captain August Galen
 player, 65 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2011
at 03:57
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #9):

((OCC: Is the Duke wearing red, like da man in the tapestry?))
Merlin
 player, 192 posts
Sun 4 Dec 2011
at 21:12
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #6):

Merlin makes himself busy with his food while the high and mighty play their social games of intrigue and status. However, he is using his senses to 'feel' the mouse. He lowers the appropriate arm to pick a crump off his lap and signals the rodent to climb up into his lap while whispering, "Aya?"

Some things about the shape changers are so handy!
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 11 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 5 Dec 2011
at 01:16
Re: Dinner with the Duke
 The mouse climbs into Merlin's lap. It sits and waits for Merlin to make some sort of move to excuse himself.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 297 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2011
at 05:48
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke is actually in blue with puffed sleeves slashed with black. the only red on him is a gold amulet with a ruby in its heart. His wife is in a red dress with purple petticoats and neck-fastenings, while his son is in a red doublet and purple pants with blue slashing his puffed sleeves.

Nath almost snickers at the antics of the Duke's son, but Ocean Soul interjects, "Sir Vaniel, would you mind if I asked your squire to get Fire Soul here a drink? It's a bit tricky to get out of these exquisite but heavy chairs, or I'd do it myself." At Vaniel's surprised glance at the boldness of the boy he'd been classifying as "servant," Hun simply smiles with the easy confidence of the ambitious freeborn. The young knight nods once, and glances at Nath, who is already off to fetch a flagon. "Tell me," asks Hun, turning to the young nobleman, "What is the proper term of address for a Duke's son? I do not wish to be rude, but we haven't got any nobility such as yourself in Trademeet Dale."

While the younger boy gives the commoner an appraising look hidden almost competently by a hearty bite of some quail, the serving-girl spending an inordinate amount of time helping Captain Galen with his plate giggles, and responds quietly, "That depends, m'lord, on what sort of position you might have for me."
Merlin
 player, 193 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2011
at 03:44
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #13):

Merlin coughs, takes a drink, but only a moment later coughs again. He takes his glass and excuses himself to get the frog out of his throat. Once around the corner and in a slightly recessed alcove he pulls the mouse out of his sleeve.

"Now what?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 12 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Tue 6 Dec 2011
at 04:28
Re: Dinner with the Duke
    As you set the mouse down it changes to a 5'9" 175 lbs man with a silver hammer and anvil on his forehead. He wears smith garb. " I am Alistr and I believe you were told to expect me."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:38, Tue 06 Dec 2011.

Captain August Galen
 player, 66 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2011
at 16:22
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Merlin:
He lowers the appropriate arm to pick a crump off his lap and signals the rodent to climb up into his lap while whispering, "Aya?"


((OOC: Would this allow a re-roll on Perception?))

Segev Stormlord:
The Duke is actually in blue with puffed sleeves slashed with black. the only red on him is a gold amulet with a ruby in its heart. His wife is in a red dress with purple petticoats and neck-fastenings, while his son is in a red doublet and purple pants with blue slashing his puffed sleeves.


"Excuse me, Your Grace, but I couldn't help but notice these beautiful tapestries hanging around your grand hall. I am fascinated by the red figure in them. Please forgive my ignorance, but who is that figure?"

Segev Stormlord:
the serving-girl spending an inordinate amount of time helping Captain Galen with his plate giggles, and responds quietly, "That depends, m'lord, on what sort of position you might have for me."


Galen's eyes go big for a moment, and the Captain forgets to chew before reflexively swallowing a large bite. Galen flops forwards, chocking and trying to get the food down.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:24, Tue 06 Dec 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 298 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2011
at 22:13
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Captain August Galen:
Merlin:
He lowers the appropriate arm to pick a crump off his lap and signals the rodent to climb up into his lap while whispering, "Aya?"


((OOC: Would this allow a re-roll on Perception?))
((OOC: No, but unless Merlin wants to make a Stealth roll to disguise speaking to the critter, Galen can notice that he said something. If Merlin DOES wish to, then Galen may roll Awareness to oppose the Stealth roll.))

Captain August Galen:
"Excuse me, Your Grace, but I couldn't help but notice these beautiful tapestries hanging around your grand hall. I am fascinated by the red figure in them. Please forgive my ignorance, but who is that figure?"
"The figure in red?" the Duke reacts with only a modicum of surprise to the sudden shift in topic, "That is, according to legend, the first King of Falan, accepting the ancestral weapons of the first Dukes in fealty before he went off to slay a great beast that was threatening the land. A dragon, or a rogue godblood, or - if you believe the Immaculates who've wandered through periodically - 'doubtless a foul Anathema.' He was one of the Exalted, according to legend." The Duke smiles in bemused pride over the possibility, but looks like he somewhat doubts its truth. "Regardless, it is from him that our current King descends, and from the men kneeling to him that I and my fellow Dukes - as well as my noble son, here (who is technically a 'prince,' my young fellow)," he adds to Ocean Soul, "(though not the crown prince, who is the King's son and heir) - where was I? Oh, yes. The five Dukes are descended from the five men presenting their swords to the 'figure in red.'"

Captain August Galen:
Segev Stormlord:
the serving-girl spending an inordinate amount of time helping Captain Galen with his plate giggles, and responds quietly, "That depends, m'lord, on what sort of position you might have for me."


Galen's eyes go big for a moment, and the Captain forgets to chew before reflexively swallowing a large bite. Galen flops forwards, chocking and trying to get the food down.
"M'lord?" asks the girl, slapping Galen on the back. "Are you okay, m'lord?"

The Duke's wife's eyes widen in concern. "Is he alright? Sir Lawren, get the healer! The Captain is choking!" The Duke rises to his feet and gestures, and a knight - presumably the one his wife named "Lawren" - hastens from the room.
Captain August Galen
 player, 67 posts
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 00:20
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Segev Stormlord:
"M'lord?" asks the girl, slapping Galen on the back. "Are you okay, m'lord?"

The Duke's wife's eyes widen in concern. "Is he alright? Sir Lawren, get the healer! The Captain is choking!" The Duke rises to his feet and gestures, and a knight - presumably the one his wife named "Lawren" - hastens from the room.


The Captain is quite embarrassed that this small accident is disrupting everyone's evening. Galen  tries to stand up, placing a clinched fist under Galen's own ribs followed by the other open hand, and begins to give quick, hard movements up & in.

((OOC: Medicine roll- 2 successes.
19:18, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 1 success using 4d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Heimlich maneuver + 1 Willpower .))

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 299 posts
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 05:26
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #18):

((OOC: That's more than sufficient to successfully perform the Heimlich.))
Captain August Galen
 player, 68 posts
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 09:27
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #19):

((OOC: Yay!))

The chunk of meat tries to launch out of Galen's mouth and zing across the table, but the Captain's overly large & tall collar catches it expertly. The meat is directed to roll down the front of the pirate's uniform, squiggling uncomfortably.

Galen coughs hoarsely, holds a hand to mouth, and tries to discreetly make sure no teeth got lose or fell out.

"Cough! So-Sorry. The food was so food, I forgot to swallow."

"My complements to the chief."
Galen raises a glass in a little toast.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:24, Wed 07 Dec 2011.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 13 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 7 Dec 2011
at 22:17
Re: Dinner with the Duke
  "I am of course a Lunar and Seven Thunder Leaves apprentice. As for what I am prepared to do. Well all my instructions were to travel with you all and gather information on the beastmen. I dislike them so any chance to crack a few of their skulls would be pleasant. Is there anything that you would know of me?" Alistr is fairly serious through out his little speech as if this is the most he has spoken in a while.
Merlin
 player, 194 posts
Sat 10 Dec 2011
at 01:29
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #21):

"Then for now do what you have been doing and stay out of sight until we are back in our rooms. At that point I will make introductions. From there we can discuss what to do next. The Lady is doing what is politically necessary, as are the rest of us currently. Alternately you can just stay in my belt pouch and sit through the dinner?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 300 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 06:27
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke's wife signals, and the urgent rush for the castle's medical practitioner subsides. She looks with genuine concern at August Galen, asking, "Are you sure you are alright, Captain? We wouldn't want you to perish before trying more of this food, so please do chew first!" Her tone is polite, poised, and contains just the right mix of gentle mirth and genuine concern.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 14 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 12:20
Re: Dinner with the Duke
   "Your belt pouch sounds fine. Just one request could you sneak me a biscuit or some thing like it. I have been on the road most of the day and I had to hustle leaving so next to no foodstores. I feel rather stupid having to ask that, but I ask none the less. Just let me know when we get to the room so the group of us can talk and we can make introductions. I would go wait in the room, but I have no idea where it is." Alistr looks a little sheepish at asking for the food but he does so anyway. The look just doesn't seem to look right on him for some reason like he shouldn't be sheepish so it comes off as almost comical.
Merlin
 player, 195 posts
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 05:11
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #24):

"Sounds good. Do your thing and lets get the show on the road. I can only be gone so long before they send somebody to 'see if I need help'."

Merlin opens an almost empty pouch at his belt, that has a bit of wire with a couple small coins made to look like the pouch is full. His real cache of cash is somewhere completely else.
Captain August Galen
 player, 69 posts
Wed 28 Dec 2011
at 01:44
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Segev Stormlord:
The Duke's wife signals, and the urgent rush for the castle's medical practitioner subsides. She looks with genuine concern at August Galen, asking, "Are you sure you are alright, Captain? We wouldn't want you to perish before trying more of this food, so please do chew first!" Her tone is polite, poised, and contains just the right mix of gentle mirth and genuine concern.


August laughs a pinch nervously. "Oh-ho! Too true. I thank you for your concern, your Grace." Galen sits down, with a thoughtful look.

"I must say, the noble dukes and the red king you speak of sound fascinating. Could I trouble you with more of these tales?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Wed 28 Dec 2011.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 16 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 28 Dec 2011
at 15:02
Re: Dinner with the Duke
  Alistr concentrated for a second and seems to fold into himself. Becoming a small grey mouse. He climbs into Merlin's pouch and gets settled for a good wait. He bides his time by going over schema for building artifacts and forging things in general.
Merlin
 player, 198 posts
Thu 29 Dec 2011
at 17:29
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #27):

Merlin heads back to the banquet table and sits down to eat some more of whatever is there. Its a feast to his northern appetites regardless. He smiles at those that need smiles, he nods when he needs to nod, but in general, he keeps his comments to himself and lets those that are so much more skilled do the talking.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 305 posts
Tue 3 Jan 2012
at 06:17
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The Duke's son pipes up in response to Galen's request, "The first King was Exalted, and came in the land's darkest hour to unite the first Dukes to fight off the terrible forces that betrayed the gods and were tearing apart the lands! He ruled for hundreds of years and then left, promising he'd be back again some day. There was this one time he--"

The Duke chuckles and interjects as the young prince takes a drink, creating a pause in the tale, "My son enjoys the more fanciful versions of the stories, understandably."

"Aw, DAAAD, I was going to tell about the crown and the mask!"

Sighing indulgently, the Duke allows, "Perhaps they WOULD enjoy hearing that one." He leans over to Beatrix, taking her hand in his to whisper, "There really isn't a mask, not anymore. The scholars tell us that the original rulers used tribal masks to mark their station, rather than the modern and more civilized crowns. But even they're not sure if that was truly unique to the rulers, or just a tradition of the warriors to try to out-intimidate the beastmen." Though his tone is conspiratorial, it's not so quiet that his wife and the other guests at the high table can't also hear it, even as the young prince launches into a boistrous telling of a cultural fairy tale.
Captain August Galen
 player, 71 posts
Thu 5 Jan 2012
at 02:46
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #29):

Galen's eyes raise with appreciation at the young prince's enthusiasm for storytelling. "Fascinating, and well put, Your Grace. What was the evil power that betrayed the gods?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 306 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2012
at 06:45
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"A terrible monster in human form! It took over all--" pipes up the prince, Nath leaning forward to listen with interest.

The Duke leans over and stage whispers corrections. "It was demons in human guise. Some tales called them 'Anathema,' but that could be an invention of the Immaculates. Might even be Ma Ha Suchi and his beastmen."

"Daaaaad!" hisses the prince, going on, "--all of the world, or it tried. But the first King and the Dukes - I'm descended from the first Duke of Oredol!" he adds with pride, " - defended the people and held them off."
Captain August Galen
 player, 72 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 15:31
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #31):

Galen's eyes widen with a bit of surprise. "In human guise... Does the tale tell of what powers these demons had, young Master?"
Merlin
 player, 199 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 19:44
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #32):

Merlin, while listening intently, makes sure that many small morsels of the tastiest kinds find their way to the little pouch.

It seems that the old duke was likely a half-blood of some kind, able to wield essence and perhaps left over artifacts against most likely his estranged kinsman. I would like to have somebody study that 'crown' they are talking about.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 307 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2012
at 22:34
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The prince beams at the attention, and Nath leans in, nearly - but not quite yet - spilling the flagon he holds. "They corrupted the land and turned it against the people," answers the prince, practicing a tone he's likely heard from bards and minstrels when telling tales. His lilting juvenile voice cracks once or twice, but he pretends not to notice. "Their powers let them call fire from the skies and twist the plants and smother the breath from all. They could see from on high despite their mortal forms being on the ground." He thinks a moment. "The stories are a little confusing, sometimes, though; in some, the beastmen serve the demons, while in others, a friendly beastman or camp of the same helps rescue the King and his Knights from the overwhelming numbers of the demonic horde."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 19 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 8 Jan 2012
at 20:08
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Alistr eats the biscuit that Merlin slips him and takes a nap while in his mouse form.
Sevastian
 player, 117 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 10 Jan 2012
at 15:50
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Sevastian leans in to Lady LeSchaye.
"Most likely they are refering to the Fey."
He advises in a whisper.

The dragon then stands and extracts his violin from his bag.  He begins to play a light tune.  Loud enough to be heard by all, but quiet enough to not interrupt conversation.  It is quite mysterious how he can fill the room with music when playing so softly.
Merlin
 player, 200 posts
Tue 10 Jan 2012
at 17:23
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Sevastian (msg #36):

"Such an extraordinary tale. It makes me want to be a member of the family so that I might have such an illustrious family line. As fate would have it, I was born in the north and learned how to use a wing board instead."

Merlin can only hope that there is further inquiry and that perhaps he can give a demonstration. He will have to unpack his board out of the ground groups supplies, but that is a small thing.
Frevrick
 player, 4 posts
 Resplendent Destiny
 The Sorcerer
Wed 11 Jan 2012
at 04:08
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"REALLY!?" exclaim Freverick, Nath, and the young prince all at the same time. "Can you show us?" asks the prince. "Can I please go see, Uncle?" asks Freverick of the violin-playing butler.

Even Hun and Poe are clearly interested, though they're keeping their professionally serious faces on. Poe, in an effort to conceal her interest, instead asks, "Could these 'demons' have been the fair folk?" Clearly voicing Sevastian's thought as if it were her own.

The Duke smiles beatifically at her, none of the lechery he sometimes spares for the serving girls (and oft has for Beatrix) evidenced as he looks at the young girl. "Doubtful. But, if they were, then the king and my ancestor drove them far, far away. We are many months' travel from the Bordermarches, and I know of no enclaves of the wreched Elves nearby. I think even the dread Ma Ha Suchi would turn on them were they in the area. ...actually, that would probably be worse than anything else. It might get him to come down here in force."
Merlin
 player, 201 posts
Fri 13 Jan 2012
at 18:41
Re: Dinner with the Duke
In reply to Frevrick (msg #38):

"Of course, I would be happy to provide a demonstration. I just have to unpack it from our supplies and find a proper location to launch from."

Merlin smiles at the various youngsters interested seemingly ignoring the Fae issue.
Sevastian
 player, 118 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 13 Jan 2012
at 18:56
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Sevastian continues his playing.
"Indeed, I am sure it would be quite a sight to see."
Captain August Galen
 player, 73 posts
Mon 16 Jan 2012
at 20:12
Re: Dinner with the Duke
The magic was cast.

The admiral's hands raised into the air and the gathering clouds overhead erupted with crimson flames. The admiral pointed down at the nearly countless hordes of deva screaming far below the admiral's zeppelin. The clouds obeyed and rained droplets of plasma on the beasts. Their rage filled faces dropped to expressions of doomed terror. A wide smile crept over the normally cold face of the ship's master.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The magic was cast.

A hand flicked in the direction of the outraged goblins, and the trees loudly screamed as their forms convulsed. Hard bark took a fluidity and branches spun and weaved themselves around the Wyld hordes, strangling the weaker ones and binding the strong. The fisher-monger's wife who cast the spell lunged at them with the long knife she used to decapitate and gut her fish. She applied her trade on the goblin's, and their heads briefly filled the air of the jungle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The magic was cast.

The soldiers of the realm collapsed onto the deck, their blue faces contorting and gasping. A bearded man wrapped in a red cloak promptly stepped to the closest of the soldiers to run them through and quickly end it for the doomed, young men.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galen stopped staring at the tapestry and pushed aside the strange memories that suddenly came to the pirate with an abnormal ease.

If the memories were correct, Galen knew odd Artifacts, Sorcery and Charms could perform similar feats. Perhaps the Immaculates were correct. Perhaps Celestials had been the 'demons' in this tale.

Galen smiled warmly and turned to the Duke. "Your son has a gift words. I would not be surprised if he becomes quite the orator."

Galen turns to Merlin. "Ah. Yes! We have good food, company, and story. A grand show of skill would be the only way to make such a grand evening even better. I would like to see this."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Tue 17 Jan 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 193 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 17 Jan 2012
at 15:49
Re: Dinner with the Duke
Duke Amaran:
He leans over to Beatrix, taking her hand in his to whisper, "There really isn't a mask, not anymore. The scholars tell us that the original rulers used tribal masks to mark their station, rather than the modern and more civilized crowns.


Beatrix doesn't resist the hand-holding, nor does she sign any sign of noticing or objecting to it. She does smirk at the comment, however; "Ah, yes. I myself find that crowns are a great deal more honest than masks."

Sevastian:
Sevastian leans in to Lady LeSchaye.
"Most likely they are refering to the Fey."
He advises in a whisper.


"I've dealt with the Raksha before," replies Beatrix to Sevastian. "In spite of the superstitious sound of it, it really is an apt description. No matter the sort of business you conduct with them, they are ever looking at you, wondering how they can consume your mind. What I do wonder about," she says, "Is the identity of the rescuers, in that version of the tale."

Captain August Galen:
Galen turns to Merlin. "Ah. Yes! We have good food, company, and story. A grand show of skill would be the only way to make such a grand evening even better. I would like to see this."


"Hear hear," says Beatrix, smiling just enough to dimple. "Music, a story and a flying man; we seem to be having quite the evening, do we not? Come, Merlin, let us have a show."
Merlin
 player, 202 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2012
at 03:22
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"Of course, m'Lady, when the rest of you are finished with dinner, I should have the board unpacked. I will find a suitable location to launch from. Our hosts and their guests just need to have a place from which to watch."

Merlin will excuse himself and goes and unpacks his wingboard and finds a place to launch from. Hopefully he can find a good up thermal somewhere. The town should be good with its fires and heat divesting homes.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 308 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2012
at 03:54
Re: Dinner with the Duke
"That is a curious expression," comments the Duchess to Beatrix, "How are crowns more honest than masks?" If she has noticed her husband's flirting, she is doing a fantastic job of hiding it.

Sir Vaniel comments, "They do not hide the face, I suppose. But it was likely our ancestors' tribal nature that made the masks have so much significance to them. We have come a very long way from those uncivilized times."

Word of Merlin's promised display is making its way around the banquet hall, and many eyes are on him as he leaves.