In the Shepherd's Shack.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 322 posts
Mon 5 Mar 2012
at 23:36
In the Shepherd's Shack
A warm, friendly little tavern with only one of its three corners qualifying as "dark" - and that only comparatively due to being on the far side of the bar from the one large fireplace - the Shepherd's Shack is run by a cheerful family of peasants. The smells of the night's dinner permeate the air still, though only a few off-duty guardsmen seem to still be around as the party starts to trickle in. A handsome lad - likely the barkeep's oldest son - is sweeping the rushes when people arrive, and greets everyone with mildly pleased surprise. "Come in! Come in. We have some left-over stew, if you're hungry. If you want a meat haunch, though, you'll have to order a whole one or Dad won't roast it up anymore tonight. Take any table you like. Well, that's not occupied. We've got a one-brawl limit per night, and that was done an hour ago," he says with charmingly practiced banter.
Merlin
 player, 220 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #1):

"Thank you. Yes, roast up the whole haunch as I will have at least two join me."

Merlin puts down enough silver to feed and keep the three of them in drink for some time with a healthy tip, all up front.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 323 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:40
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The young man's eyes widen at seeing so much of a dinar all at once. Scooping them off the table, he bows obsequiously. "Excellent! Thank you, sir! I am sure Father and Mother will wish to give you the best of the house! If you want any drink, let me or Liset know. She'll be out with a list of our finest shortly!" he says with even more energy than before.

After a half-minute hurried and faintly audible conversation in the back rooms, the tavern master himself comes out, a not-quite portly man with a broad, clean apron. He grins under his beard, the sort of smile that twists the whole face into joviality without any need to see the lips hidden behind the facial hair. "Welcome, honored guest!" he says amiably. "How many companions are you expecting?"

His apron is just now getting its first couple of grease stains from the large haunch of auroch-calf thigh meat he is carrying on a spit, which he deftly levers over the large fireplace. A young woman with her hair in a maiden's pleat follows him out and throws some more wood on the fire, blazing it to new life.

"Hello," she says, curtsying as she does a feminine little skip over to the table and lowers a woodcut placard featuring elegant engraving, listing a number of drinks ranging from high end ales to - at relatively exorbitant prices measured in whole dinars per bottle - middling quality wines. "Can I get you anything to drink? What would your guests like?"
Merlin
 player, 221 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 15:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #3):

"At least three of us," says Merlin as he gives the young lass a good look on her way over. Her little skip he finds appealing.

Merlin points out an ale for himself, and a bottle of some red wine or another that is somewhere on the middle of the list.

"The others will have to tell you themselves once they arrive. Thank you for your prompt service."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 15 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 15:32
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason walked into the Shepard Shack like he owned the place.  Not that he did, mind you.  He was just in a good mood since he didn't have to do any menial chores today like scouts with too much free time on their hands usually have to do.  Since he was done for the day, he had changed out of his guard uniform into his normal, mundane clothes.

Spying Merlin in the room, Mason strolled across to the room to his table.  "You're here earlier than I anticipated.  Glad to see you managed to find the place.  Have you ordered already?"
Merlin
 player, 222 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 15:50
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg #5):

"Haunch on the fire for us, a mug of ale coming, a bottle of wine being uncorked, and a friend I thought you would like to meet is scuttling this way as well."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 199 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 16:43
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix walks in, clad in a shimmering raiment that probably costs more than half the land in the town. "Ah, here we are. This place smells delightful. And we've a meal cooking as well, excellent." She gives a courtesy to Merlin and nods to Mason before having a seat.
"So, Merlin, who is this new friend you're bringing?"
Merlin
 player, 223 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 16:50
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #7):

"Someone you know of only through another, and of which I have met only recently. When he makes an appearance I will of course make sufficient introductions."

Merlin stands and pulls out a seat for the lady, making sure that he is between her and the front door when they are all reseated.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 200 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 16:56
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Ah, well then. I shan't press further then, I suppose." She nods to the young lady as she brings out the wine and ale and accepts a glass of wine. "I have information that I would like to discuss, but it should wait until we are all here."
Sevastian
 player, 121 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 20:20
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Sevastian enters a bit later then one would expect. He moves to Beatrix's side.
"My apologizes for my tardiness.  I had to make sure my brother was set in for the evening."

He makes no move to sit, and smiles kindly at any who take note of the fact.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 26 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 01:49
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
A rather burly man dressed in smith's attire walks in carrying a fairly large smith's hammer. He scans the room for a moment seeing the party he saunters over and pulls out a chair and sits. "Merlin long time no talk." He orders the equal of ale.
Merlin
 player, 224 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 06:32
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #11):

"Ah, friends and new acquaintances this is Alistr. He is a new friend of mine whom I was flying with earlier."

Merlin lets those pregnant words hang for a few moments as peoples minds race to discover the meaning of his words....since there was seemingly nobody else up in the glider with Merlin. Then it all hits them about the same time....there was a bird that fell/flew out of the glider at one point. It seemed just another of Merlin's tricks like the bag of chalk.
Captain August Galen
 player, 79 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:14
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The Captain comes slinks in, with a dark demeanor. Tonight, Galen's purse is deep. When Galen sees friends, and seems to lighten up. "Friends! Friends. Let us drink!" Galen holds up the purse. "First three drinks on me!" Galen seems to suddenly notice all the new arrivals as perfect strangers, despite briefly meeting some of them before.

"Who are all of you?" croaks the Pirate.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:16, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

Mason Vaugn
 player, 16 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:32
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason looked at the "pirate" that just came in and turned to the others before asking, "Does he do this often?  Is there something I should know?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 201 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:48
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix smirks a little. "We do seem to have some number of new faces here. Perhaps a round of introductions are in order."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 17 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 00:29
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason rolls his eyes as he takes a seat at the table.  "Well, I am still Mason Vaugn, I am still a guard working for the duke, and I am still hungry.  How long till the food is here?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 324 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 01:00
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Just a few more minutes, sir!" chimes the barkeep earnestly, in the too-cheerful tone of a put-upon servingman who knows that 'a few more minutes' is the longest he dare admit to even though it won't be enough. "Roasting the haunch right now, sir!"
Merlin
 player, 225 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 01:31
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason Vaugn:
Mason looked at the "pirate" that just came in and turned to the others before asking, "Does he do this often?  Is there something I should know?"


"Yes, it seems that our friend the 'pirate' here on the mainland is out of his element.

Mr Vaugn, Mason if I may, lets cut to the chase. I captured two of the three officers that 'kidnapped' people from Trade meet, by myself, without harm to them. Somebody got a broken arm in the process, but they decided to step under a falling rock at the wrong side.

I think that you might be able to do something similar, if in a different fashion. The same applies to the majority of our little traveling circus here.

In other words, cut the crap.
"
Mason Vaugn
 player, 18 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 05:55
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason leaned back in his chair.  "Wow, so straight to the point so quickly.  Pardon me if I didn't peg you as the type."

Thinking for a moment, Mason tapped his fingers on the arm of the chair.  "So, are you pursuing these kidnappers and trying to figure out where they're coming from or going to?  Or is it just a coincidence that you're just using it to state your strength?"
Merlin
 player, 226 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 06:12
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg #19):

"Just as an example, if the aerial show wasn't enough of a clue. We already know the where, how, and when of the previous issue. We are curious as to the real reason why and not just what we have been told by those doing the deed."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 19 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 06:28
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason looked nervous all of a sudden from Merlin's accusatory statement.  "Whoa, you don't think that I had anything to do with that, do you?  I've just come this way to see if I can find out why the Guild is selling slaves to a well-known warlord in the southeast and what he's going to do with them.  I'm not with them at all."
Merlin
 player, 227 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 06:55
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg #21):

"Of course not, but we had to make sure. That information is part of what we are after as well. Perhaps a strategic partnership might be advantageous?"

Merlin takes a long swig of ale at that point. The smell of roasting meat permeates the entire room as the roasting continues.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 202 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 15:32
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix sips her wine idly, smiling at the conversation (and also the smells). "Perhaps. When it comes to allies investigating a problem, one can never have too many. But Perhaps Goodman Vaugn should answer your question first?"
Bea pauses to sip some more wine and pick at some bread that was brought out before continuing. "It is, you must understand, in your best interest not to dissemble with us, Goodman Vaugn. We are probably going to visit some dangerous places, and we will likely make powerful enemies along the way. We desire to know if you will be able to handle such a path, and so the questioning is, you perceive, in your own best interest."
Captain August Galen
 player, 80 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 16:07
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason Vaugn:
Mason looked at the "pirate" that just came in and turned to the others before asking, "Does he do this often?  Is there something I should know?"


Mason Vaugn:
Mason rolls his eyes as he takes a seat at the table.  "Well, I am still Mason Vaugn, I am still a guard working for the duke, and I am still hungry.  How long till the food is here?"


"It is not about what you should know, but what I seek enlightenment on! To wit, why are you in my chair?" Galen's eyes are wide with indignity, and the Pirate's eyes ignore all available, empty seats.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 27 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 17:53
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Do I need to sit on the pirate whatever that is? I am Alistr Hamrsoung, Chosen of The No Moon. I have been sent by my mentor whom most of you have met." he nurses his ale.
Captain August Galen
 player, 81 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 17:57
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Alistr Hamrsoung:
"I have been sent by my mentor whom most of you have met." he nurses his ale.


"Huh? Who is that?"

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 203 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 18:22
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix looks from Mason to Galen with a look of barely contained amusement on her face. "How, your chair? What has lead you to this conclusion, Captain?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 28 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 19:05
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"She is the beautiful Silent Thunder Leaves. Her grace is unmatched as is her wisdom. Unfortunately she doesn't need me as much as I need her. I know that I have much to learn yet and she can help me learn what I need to learn."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 20 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 22:19
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason answers with a smirk on his face, "Well, the 'captain' there has a good eye for chairs, and he can see that this chair has the best location at the table.  He is naturally envious of it and desires to take it for himself like any captain would from an underling.  Sadly, I am not an underling of his, so I shall keep my seat, thankyouverymuch."

Mason then turns his attention back to Miss LeSchaye, who had a reasonable question, unlike the captain.  Plus, she was considerably easier on the eyes.  "Well, I've learned to handle myself well enough, and you folks look like you can handle yourselves as well.  The question is whether or not our goals lie in the same direction.  I am investigating whether or not the Guild is, as we believe, selling slaves to an anathema warlord in the southeast.  I am unclear, though, as to what goal your little group is driving at."

Mason, since a serving girl had FINALLY brought over a drink for Mason, takes the opportunity to whet his whistle and let someone else do the talking.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:02, Sun 11 Mar 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 82 posts
Sun 11 Mar 2012
at 14:04
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix LeSchaye:
Beatrix looks from Mason to Galen with a look of barely contained amusement on her face. "How, your chair? What has lead you to this conclusion, Captain?"


"Why, the intellectual output of my faculties have been enhanced by the ages old, tried and tested method of imbuing alcohol, my lady."

Alistr Hamrsoung:
"She is the beautiful Silent Thunder Leaves. Her grace is unmatched as is her wisdom. Unfortunately she doesn't need me as much as I need her. I know that I have much to learn yet and she can help me learn what I need to learn."


"Man, you've got it bad for 'er."

Mason Vaugn:
Mason answers with a smirk on his face, "Well, the 'captain' there has a good eye for chairs, and he can see that this chair has the best location at the table.  He is naturally envious of it and desires to take it for himself like any captain would from an underling.  Sadly, I am not an underling of his, so I shall keep my seat, thankyouverymuch."


"Oh my Sun! You are so paranoid."

The Captain busts up into a deep, bellowing laughter, then wipes away a tear.

"Oh boy. You are too precious! Ah. This must be your first bar. Let me explain things to you."

"I am starting shit to get in a fight. Your chair is almost as ugly as you, and just as lame. I do not really want it. I just want to beat you up, but you are boring me to tears! I now just want beer & meed."

Barkeep! first three drinks for these losers..."
Galen points to everyone at the table, ...and five for this git are on me..." Galen points to Vaugn, "...because he needs to loosen up."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:07, Sun 11 Mar 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 83 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 02:04
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason Vaugn:
I am investigating whether or not the Guild is, as we believe, selling slaves to an anathema warlord in the southeast.  I am unclear, though, as to what goal your little group is driving at."


"Oh, Sun. Anathema? Pffftt... What type of devil has the Immaculates labeled this one? Blasphemer? Unclean? Deceiver? Maybe a Frenzied or Moon-Mad, for a change of pace? Feh. 'E's probably just some arse heart of a man. They are horrible enough without a demon in them."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 325 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 03:31
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The tavern wench skillfully slid a tankard in front of each of the seated guests at the table, and offered the selected wine bottle to the table. "Will there be anything else?" she asks, trying to keep a quaver from her voice as she overhears talk of Anathema.
Sevastian
 player, 122 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 15:50
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Sevastian puts a hand on the girls back, a soft smile on his face.
"That will be all for now my lady."

He keeps one hand on her back and takes one of her hands in his then walks the woman up behind the bar where the barkeep is. Sevastian speaks with both of them.  With a gentle smile and a kind look he says.
"My apologizes for my friends frank talk of dark things.  I hope that it has not upset you too much my lady."

The water dragon turns his friendly gaze to the barkeep and lets the power of Daana'd wash over him lightly. (1m just to glow a little)
"The dragons be with you and you have nothing to fear this night."

He lets his aura fade and continues.  His eyes, as ever, deep pools of dark ocean blue that one could simply fall into.
"Your place is lovely and worry not about haste with the food."

The butler turns to the woman and kisses the back of her hand.
"This young lady is doing a fine job keeping them in drink so I doubt they will take note of a few extra minutes wait."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 21 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 04:58
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason replied calmly, "If that was your attempt at inciting me to anger, it was sorely lacking.  If you would like, I can give you some lessons in how to properly insult someone and, if you so desire, get away with it."

Mason turns back to the rest of the group.  "As for what they call him, I do not know.  We just call him one of Luna's chosen and quite an grumpy one at that.  One that is buying slaves, as far as I know, from the Guild.  As for any connections that can be drawn between what I know and what you know, I cannot tell without knowing what all of you know."  Mason motions to the group as a whole when he says that.  Mason once again waits for someone else to speak up and will ignore the "Captain" should he speak up.
Captain August Galen
 player, 84 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 14:47
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason Vaugn:
Mason replied calmly, "If that was your attempt at inciting me to anger, it was sorely lacking.  If you would like, I can give you some lessons in how to properly insult someone and, if you so desire, get away with it."


Galen looks up from a drink, beaming. "Really? You'd do that... for me? After all that mean stuff I said? I'm glad I'm buying you drinks, now. You, my friend, are a real friend. My friend." Galen tries to give Vaugn a bear hug. Booze is wafting off the sad, fake pirate's breath. And some odd sent of oil, if Vaugn's senses are keen.

Mason Vaugn:
Mason turns back to the rest of the group.  "As for what they call him, I do not know.  We just call him one of Luna's chosen and quite an grumpy one at that.  One that is buying slaves, as far as I know, from the Guild.  As for any connections that can be drawn between what I know and what you know, I cannot tell without knowing what all of you know."  Mason motions to the group as a whole when he says that.  Mason once again waits for someone else to speak up and will ignore the "Captain" should he speak up.


Galen just smiles dumbly, downing the drink in front and waiting for another. Given this is Galen's first at this establishment, it is very likely the Captain was drinking quite heavily before arriving. Galen looks to the others to speak before the Captain's eyes scrunch up to make a funny look, and then chirps up.

"Huh. How do you know he's a chosen of Luna? Is this something he's advertising, or something you got from a confidant?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 326 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 18:41
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Sevastian:
Sevastian puts a hand on the girls back, a soft smile on his face.
"That will be all for now my lady."

He keeps one hand on her back and takes one of her hands in his then walks the woman up behind the bar where the barkeep is. Sevastian speaks with both of them.  With a gentle smile and a kind look he says.
"My apologizes for my friends frank talk of dark things.  I hope that it has not upset you too much my lady."

The water dragon turns his friendly gaze to the barkeep and lets the power of Daana'd wash over him lightly. (1m just to glow a little)
"The dragons be with you and you have nothing to fear this night."
The young woman blushes cutely, and curtsies inartfully. "N-no, m'Lord," she says quietly, "It's not my place to worry. I am grateful for your presence."

Sevastian:
He lets his aura fade and continues.  His eyes, as ever, deep pools of dark ocean blue that one could simply fall into.
"Your place is lovely and worry not about haste with the food."

The butler turns to the woman and kisses the back of her hand.
"This young lady is doing a fine job keeping them in drink so I doubt they will take note of a few extra minutes wait."
As the girl daintily accepts the courtesies of the Dynast, the teen who was sweeping the floors watches distrustfully from the corner of his eye as he turns the spit over the fire, ready to...do something - maybe spring to her defense? - if he doesn't like what he sees. But he doesn't seem surprised or unused to it, just...watchful.
Captain August Galen
 player, 89 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 02:17
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Captain August Galen:
Mason Vaugn:
Mason motions to the group as a whole when he says that.  Mason once again waits for someone else to speak up and will ignore the "Captain" should he speak up.
"Huh. How do you know he's a chosen of Luna? Is this something he's advertising, or something you got from a confidant?"


Galen finally sits down in a chair near Merlin, tries pitifully to stare at Mason (though the Pirate's eyes wander from intoxication), until slapping Merlin on the shoulder, and blurts out "Hey. Hey, hey. Mer-merlen. Merlon. I think this guy's... not me."

"Can you tell him, I think he's a swell guy, and he sh-should answer my question? Cause I'm smart, and he's a swell guy, and we should all work together, right?"
Galen stats to lean on the table heavily to keep from falling out of the chair onto the floor. It is a sad sight.

Galen turns again to Merlin. "Man, you fffflew today. That was really cool. I can't fly that well. I fall really well, though. Ha, ha! Now, this..."

Galen reaches into the pocket of the red cloak, and rummages for a while, until pulling out a tied up strange small animal. The creature is Carabas, and it cues pitifully at anyone who looks at it with big, dark eyes.

"...this guy can fly! But e's been baaaad today." Galen looks at the creature with an amused face.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 24 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 02:19
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason took another swig from his mug.  "Well, it's a little from column A and a little from column B.  I've never met the guy, but I know him by reputation.  And his reputation is something he proudly flaunts as well as his status as a chosen of Luna."

Mason puts his mug down and digs into his food some more.  "Of course, it's not hard to develop a reputation among them.  You just have to generally be awesome like I am."
Merlin
 player, 230 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 05:05
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg #38):

"Well then, that answers my main question. M'Lady, does that answer any of your questions?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 204 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 14:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"It is sufficient," says Beatrix placidly. As she does, she reaches over and, perhaps out of some sort of instinct, scratching Galen's odd creature behind the ears.

"It is curious that this should be the problem you seek, because ours is quite similar; beastman barbarians to the north, perhaps under the banner of Ma-Ha-Suchi, an ancient and powerful Lunar, have been raiding for slaves in an increased volume, and it seems that they may be selling them to someone."

She has a sip of wine; a large amount of the food in front of her has vanished while nobody was looking. "Duke Lothus to the north has born the brunt of these raids, it seems, and has decided to affix blame to the nation-state I represent, Trademeet Dale, and to punish us by abducting our citizens to replace the serfs he has lost."

She nods to the servers as they bring the first bits of the roast out, along with some bread and stewed carrots. "Quite naturally, we are upset that a foreign nation has sent troops inside our borders to abduct our citizens. If Duke Lothus does not produce a much better reason for this behavior than we have heard from his knights, we may have no choice but to consider it an act of war. Adding insult to injury, there is a problem with the accusation itself; Trademeet does not deal in slaves. It is the one commodity we categorically refuse to purchase, sell, or even transport on behalf of others, and it is an affront to our sensibilities to have us accused of such a thing."

She has a dainty bite of meat, and after chewing she adds. "And besides, dealing with the beastmen tribes tends to be a foolish affair. They do not believe in contracts or fair deals. They are, in short, bad for business."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 25 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 01:01
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason clapped his hands once.  "Oh, good.  You do know about Ma-Ha-Suchi.  That makes things much easier for me since I didn't really want to go into the long-winded explanation about him."

Mason then leaned forward in his chair his elbows on the table and arms propping him up.  He lowers his voice and says in a conspiratorial voice, "And thus you should realize why I'm here.  This is just a stopover for me on the way to see what Ma-Ha-Suchi is up to exactly with these slaves.  My information stated that he was purchasing them, but if he is raiding for them, this becomes an even more pressing issue."

Mason then leaned back in his chair and took a big drink from his mug.  "Besides, he's giving all of us a bad name, and we can't be having that."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 206 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 01:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Bea quirks an eyebrow. "'Us'? I see." She smiles a little. "That also answers the other question more thoroughly."

She has another dainty bite of delicious roast before saying "Interestingly, this does add some clarity to the situation. I believe the northern beastman tribes may be using the captured serfs as a substitute for their customary tribute. This would explain an increase in material wealth that has been observed among them, as well as being the source of the new slaves you're looking for. This does not, however, explain the question of why he is doing this."

Another bite; she must be hungry. "I cannot imagine the reason would be anything pleasant. We should stop the raiding and then see what we can do about Ma-Ha-Suchi's plans, preferably without confronting him directly."
Merlin
 player, 231 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 05:35
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #42):

"Agreed."

Merlin seems to quark an eye, "The real question then is, what is our next move?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 91 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 10:27
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason Vaugn:
"Well, it's a little from column A and a little from column B.  I've never met the guy, but I know him by reputation.  And his reputation is something he proudly flaunts as well as his status as a chosen of Luna."


"Ah. See, if-if he is saying stupid stuff like that, it's either e's stupid, and we can sick the Wyld Hunt on 'em to do our dirty work, or he's smart, and i's a trup...  ...trap. Or e's both, and that g-gets tricky, 'cause yer never sure 'en e's bein' cleaver or stupid." Galen takes another drink, and seems to get very wobbly in the chair. The Captain is probably close to passing out at this point.

Mason Vaugn:
"You just have to generally be awesome like I am."


Galen perks up for a moment. "Oh? Then, do I have the job for you!"

Galen looks to Merlin for a second. "And of course you too! If your up for it. You know how to keep the worst scum detained. Hell, I could use everybody's help with this job."

Beatrix LeSchaye:
As she does, she reaches over and, perhaps out of some sort of instinct, scratching Galen's odd creature behind the ears.


Carabas cues pitifully, and starts giving Lady LeSchaye, and anyone else who looks at it affectionately, 'puppy eyes' as it struggles vainly to move in it's odd, golden chains.

Galen suddenly hoists Carabas up by the golden chain wrapped around the strange, but winsome creature. "This... this..." Galen goes cross-eyed for a moment. "This is Carabas. 'E is a March. He is my March, and by extension, your March, for I am your Captain. I mean, I am at your disposal, as your Captain. And you wanted me to fly you to places to beat up... slavers. And I didn't know 'ed poison me. And I am this little fluff-ball's Marquis."

Galen's eyes squint and focus on Mason. "Do NOT let e'm go! You need to watch e'm tonight, or they're be problems in the morning. The Duke would hate it! 'E will try to escape. A lot. No chain can hold 'em but this one. Can ya do that, big man?"

Galen then falls face first onto the table, letting Carabas go. The creature immediately tries to squirm off the table, but falls over.

OOC [06:23, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 1 success using 3d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 with rolls of 7,1,4. Carabas Escape! -2 penaty (Bound Chains). ]
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 330 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 15:11
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The barkeep and his teen serving boy carry the rest of the now-fully-roasted haunch over to the table, and lay it on a large wooden platter in the middle. They're careful about avoiding inconveniencing any of the guests. As the middle-aged man carves the meat into slices, he asks, "Can we get you fine gentlemen - and lovely lady - anything else?" The barkeep assiduously ignores the spectacle of the passed-out captain, though the youth can't help but turn up his nose in poorly-veiled disgust. He does, at least, have the tact to say nothing.
Merlin
 player, 233 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 15:20
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #45):

"No, but thank you," says Merlin as he deftly catches the chain.

He raps the chain around the Captain's wrist a few times and leaves it at that. He will slice off a choice portion for the Lady and slide it to her plate. He slides and dices for everybody else as well, eventually there is little left on the bone, but the plates are full.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 26 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Thu 22 Mar 2012
at 04:49
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason takes a few bites from his meat before asking, "So, what are your plans here and where are you going?  I'm just working here till I get a few more coins to help me on my travels from here.  I heard the lady say that you might be going to put a stop to some of these raiders to find information.  Do you have any ideas how you might go about doing this?"

Mason takes a big swig before continuing, "I'd just go to the source myself.  Ma-Ha-Suchi's land is a little way's away from here, though, so I can understand if you might not want to undergo such a trip.  Mostly wilderness between here and there."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 207 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 22 Mar 2012
at 13:54
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix thanks Merlin as he serves, and listens to Mason (and eats) as he speaks. When he's done, she says "At this moment, our plans entail convincing Duke Lothus to stop abducting the citizens of other nations, which if continued could worsen a situation which is evidently poor enough already. As this means we will already be heading North, we can then continue into the territory of the Beastman tribes, and there we can see if we may cause their raids to cease for a time, whether through diplomacy or violence. In these ways, I would hope we could disarm the entire situation without directly dealing with Ma-Ha-Suchi, who has a rather well known reputation for demolishing those heroic souls who confront him. As I have no information to dispel the terrible things said of him, I intend for the time being to treat them as true. Even if they are not, his armies are substantial and not to be taken lightly."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 27 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 18:47
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Huh.  It appears that this lady isn't just appeareance.  What a refreshing change of pace.

"Well, it at least sounds like you guys have some sort of plan.  When were you planning on finally heading out of here?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 208 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 22:02
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Perhaps as early as tomorrow," says Beatrix. "However, there is first a matter I would wish to discuss with my worthy associate here," and here she indicates Sevastian.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 29 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 26 Mar 2012
at 04:10
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Do you need a place as a base of operation? I might have a place slightly off the beaten path and quiet as can be. If you guys are interested let me know and I can make it a little more comfortable. It has minimal comfort as I require very little. Good news is that it has a forge." Alistr spoke up as plans were put up on the table.
Captain August Galen
 player, 94 posts
Tue 27 Mar 2012
at 02:39
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Merlin:
"No, but thank you," says Merlin as he deftly catches the chain.

He raps the chain around the Captain's wrist a few times and leaves it at that.


The strange creature huffs in defeats and glowers at Merlin.

Merlin:
He will slice off a choice portion for the Lady and slide it to her plate. He slides and dices for everybody else as well, eventually there is little left on the bone, but the plates are full.


Carabas walks over to Galen's plate, sniffs the delicious meat, and  nibbles on a piece. It gives a very content 'harrumph,' and proceeds to swallow an entire slice, without chewing.

Then another, and another, until Galen's plate is clean. Though Carabas was roughly the same mass as the food on the plate before partaking of it, the added mass does not show on Carabas in the slightest.

As Mr. Hamrsoung speaks, Carabas nervously looking over its shoulder at the others before crawling up Galen's wide sleeve. This is soon followed by a lot of ruffling up the sleeve.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:57, Tue 27 Mar 2012.

Sevastian
 player, 124 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 27 Mar 2012
at 20:35
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Hearing his name, the butler returns to the table, standing to Beatrix right.

"How can I assist you, madam."
He queries with a slight bow.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 209 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 03:02
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix nods to Sevastian. "Sevastian, it has come to my notice that the lady of the manor, the Duchess, has quite a spy network on her hands. They are quite noteworthy because they are all women - you no doubt saw many of them as you passed through the manor, and possibly spoke with and worked with many of them. The organization extends past the bounds of this Duchy. I was wondering if you knew anything about such an organization, or if you would perhaps like to employ your obvious charms against them to see what you can learn?" To the others at the table, she offers a friendly 'feel free to chime in' look.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 28 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 01:33
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason continued to lean back in his chair.  Hopefully it won't fall out from under him.

"Well, there are a few things to consider when it comes to infiltrating an organization of any kind.  First, what do you hope to gain?  It is obvious that you want information, but what kind?"

Mason looked from Beatrix to Sevastian.  "Second, what do you know of the organization that will help you infiltrate them successfully?  We know from Beatrix's statement that they are all women.  Second, do they have a way to identify themselves to each other?  In most organizations, and especially in spying circles, people don't know other people in the organization.  If they have a way to signal to each other that they are members, we'll need to know that."

And with a grin on his face, Mason asked, "And most importantly, are any of them cute?"
Sevastian
 player, 125 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 19:01
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Sevastian smiles at Mason.
"Servants tend to talk to servants."

His smile turns to a grin.
"And I am slightly persuasive.  Not so much as my lady, but one does not need to be that persuasive if someone  is not on guard."

The dragon looks back to Lady LeSchaye.
"I had not heard of such an organization, but I will see if the lovely ladies care to speak with me."

He smiles.
"I will be discrete."
Merlin
 player, 234 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 21:54
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Sevastian (msg #56):

Merlin smiles at Sevastian. Nobody else might know exactly how discreet he might be, but Merlin at least has more than a few clues to piece together.

I might be able to amaze mortals with feats of aerial expertise, but Sevastian does things that I am even amazed at.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 31 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 22:42
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason replies with a smirk, "Okay, have fun.  If you screw it up, I'll be here, still pretending to be a guard.  After all, I'm sure a female-only spy organization will take kindly to a man poking his head around in things he shouldn't know about.  Not at all suspicious."

Turning his attention back to the others, "So, what are you guys going to do while he's off doing... whatever he's going to do?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:06, Wed 04 Apr 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 212 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 02:08
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix smirks. "Goodman Vaughn, who says we will be so direct about it? We needn't ask about the spy organization, although I suppose I can do that later if need be. We need only ask about what we want to know - which is information regarding our mission. It follows naturally that the local part of the network would chiefly be concerned with politics within the kingdom, which means that it is likely that they would know what wheels are turning behind the scenes to make the northern duchies behave in the manner that they are. Thus, it can safely be hoped that when we leave here, it will be with more knowledge that may prepare us for what awaits us."

After a sip of her wine, she continues. "It is noteworthy that there is no woman in the castle who is not a part of this network. The Duchess is the local center, and there are social cliques within that serve as sorts of factions within the network, but it is ultimately all one. Enjoy picking your target, Sevastian."

She smiles at Mason. "Of course, if you want to try your hand regardless, please feel free to do so. It cannot hurt, after all. As for what we will be doing as you go, I can only speak for myself, and I believe I shall remain here for a time and enjoy the roast."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:10, Thu 05 Apr 2012.

Mason Vaugn
 player, 32 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 05:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason replied after a thought, "It would probably take me the better part of a day, if not two, to get the information you're looking for.  Spy work takes a gentle hand, after all.  If you're too pushy, they'll figure out you're onto them.  If you don't mind waiting a day or few, I can look into it."

Mason laughed mildly.  "Oh, the sacrifices I make for my new found companions.  Going and talking to pretty ladies.  I have no idea how I'll survive, but I'm sure I'll manage.  I can only hope you appreciate all this work I'll have to put forth."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 213 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 12:51
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Oh!" Says Bea dramatically, putting her wrist to her forehead in a fainting-damsel pose, "It is a horrible fate we have thrust upon you, Sir Vaughn, but you must endure! Think not of the grisly flirting, nor the terrible violence of the candle-lit dinners, but think instead of all the children you will be siring -- that is, saving -- by this noble and selfless act!"

She has another bite of the roast before saying "Slip of the tongue," in a musical tone.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 36 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 05:35
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason stood up from the table.  "Well, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to have to turn in a little early.  I'll see all of you in a few days.  Hopefully before then, you won't see me."

Mason turned and walked away before returning to the table again.  He unslung his unstrung bow and laid it on the table.  He then unbuckled his quiver and placed it next to his ordinary-looking wooden bow.  "I'll have to acquire a more suitable weapon than this bow for my disguise, but I don't trust leaving it in the guard barracks.  I trust one of you can look after it until I come back for it."

As he turned to walk back towards the exit, he said over his shoulder, "And don't play around with it.  You'll just end up hurting yourselves trying to use it."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:37, Tue 10 Apr 2012.

Merlin
 player, 236 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 15:17
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg #62):

"That is good then. I will take up the guarding of bow."

Merlin doesn't touch the bow yet, but instead speaks to Alistr.

"I think that perhaps it might be a good idea for you and I to guard our wagon and its contents, of which the bow will become. Meet me there when you are done with the meal. I am going to walk out with Mr. Vaugn."

Merlin gets up, gathers the bow and quiver, and walks out with Mason. They part ways shortly without a word from Merlin who goes to the groups wagon and puts the bow and quiver inside. He also makes sure that his wing-board is still where he put it last.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 336 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 15:55
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
As Merlin and Mason are parting ways outside, a strange sound and - just faintly and briefly - flicker of light is notable near the castle.
Merlin
 player, 237 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 16:26
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #64):

"Guard. Take this bow and head to the castle."

Merlin tosses the bow and quiver to Mason. He then disappears.

Hidden from view by the charm Shrouding the Mind and Body , Merlin activates his Wings of the Raptor and heads with all speed to the castle. On the way he activates Air Dragon Sight  and concentrates on the castle ahead of him.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 38 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 14:31
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason looked confusedly at Merlin's actions.  Then with a thought, he walked back into the tavern and back to the table where he had been before.  "You're friend saw must have seen something weird at the castle, because he took off in that direction rather hurriedly.  Do you have any idea why he might do such a thing?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 215 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 16:00
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Bea continues eating, but her long, pointed ears twitch a bit as the conversation outside unfolds. Rather than stop eating to respond to Mason out loud, she pulls out parchment and a charcoal pencil and quickly writes a message, handing it to Mason for him to read.


As Mason finishes reading, Beatrix says "This roast is superb, especially for something made on short notice. Should we save some for our friend?"
Sevastian
 player, 126 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 13 Apr 2012
at 16:03
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Sevastian smiles at the conversation and heads outside with Merlin and Mason.  Nothing more to say.   As Merlin tosses the bow to mason and then disappears the butler just starts walking to the castle, his pack slung over his back.

OOC:
His intent is to head back to the rooms alotted for the group in order to find the young lady he had spoken with before.  Should he see the "light" at the castle he will detour out of curiosity.

Sevastian
 player, 127 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 13 Apr 2012
at 17:09
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
After a few steps Sevastian notes the light, mostly because the sound draws the gaze of his deep blue eyes.

His curiosityb being as inevitable as the tides, gets the better of him and he ups his pace heading in the direction of the light and sound.
Captain August Galen
 player, 97 posts
Sat 14 Apr 2012
at 17:51
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #67):

The creature referred to as Carabas crawls out of Galen's sleeve and looks at the note, then up to Beatrix and Mason, tilting its head slightly to the side.

"Hey. Do you guys want a ride to the castle? I can take you there very fast." Its voice is that of a small child, soft and curious.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 39 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sun 15 Apr 2012
at 19:53
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason looked at the group.  They seemed to be springing into action, so apparently this meant something to them.  After thinking about it for a small moment, he decided that he was at least curious enough to see what all the concern was about.

After Cararbas spoke up, Mason returned his focus to the scene at hand.  "I suppose it would be rude to keep them waiting, wouldn't it, Miss LeSchaye?"  He added under his breath, "whoever they are."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 217 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Apr 2012
at 14:59
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix stares briefly, wordlessly, at Carabas as it speaks.

"Well," she says after a moment spent to recover her composure, "I suppose it cannot hurt for Merlin to have some measure of assistance. Perhaps we can pick up Sevastian on the way so that we are all together?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 98 posts
Tue 17 Apr 2012
at 13:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The little thing hops delightedly. "Yea! A trip! A trip! We are all going on a trip! Follow me!" And Carabas tries to jump off the table, only to hang off the table side by the golden chain attached from its' collar to Galen's wrist.

"Gack! Oh fudge!"
Carabas scales back up the chain with its little clawed paws, crawling back onto the table, and skips over to Galen. "Oh boy. Oh boy! I didn't think fun important stuff was happening today." Carabas grabs the Captain's coat with its little paws and awkwardly lifts the Captain over its tinny body. It then impossibly hops to a chair seat & then the floor, crudely boobing Galen's unconscious body as it does so (and anciently smacking Galen's head and limbs against the floor).

Carabas cringes at the sound. "Sorry! Oh, I'm so sorry. Oh. I didn't mean to... ug!" The creature, only a fraction of a normal person's size, drags the tall Captain out of the eatery with difficulty.

When any fallowing passengers come out, Carabas looks at them eagerly. "Is everyone ready?" Carabas' form quickly sprouts out from itself. Wood & rock like formations flow-outward from it's tiny body until its original form is lost to sight. It covers Galen's form as well, dwarfing it in a blink.

As quick as a river's flow, the formations stretch across the streets parallel to the party until they reach 100 ft long and 30 ft wide. The wood formations fold over the rock, covering them and molding the outside of this strange thing until it takes a crafted appearance and then solidifies into the shape of one of the fabled airships of the north. From the top, a large gas bag rises up, and with it the ship starts to raise off the ground. Their is an ornately crafted figurehead or a frightening demon that looks at the travelers. Carabas soft voice comes from its' fanged mouth. "Please watch your step.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:18, Tue 17 Apr 2012.

Mason Vaugn
 player, 40 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 03:46
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason looked, mouth hanging agape at what he just saw.  This little thing dragged its owner outside and turned into a ship.  While normally he would think about what a scene this must be causing, or about how he might not want to be associated with this, he only had one thought in his head right now.  "What?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 34 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 07:20
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
As the little creature grabbed the Captain Alistr looked at it. He sigh and put down the roast that he knew would get wasted and was rather good for a larger town. As he followed outside and it unfolded into a Haslanti airship well. He looked at the remaining member of Merlin's friends and says as normally as possible "Does this sort of thing happen often around you guys?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 219 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 03:01
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Bea recovers from her befuddlement and simply pays for the meal (tipping very generously), strides out and starts to get into the airship. "No. But it will from now on. Thank you, ah, Carabas, was it?"
Mason Vaugn
 player, 41 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 03:49
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason swung himself onto the deck of the airship, having regained his composure.  "It's not important right now whether or not it happens all the time.  It's happened now, and that's the important part.  Let's get a move on."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 35 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 04:24
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"True Goodman however it tells me how circumspect they are being and how circumspect I must be. This is not so a glowing silver bear jumping off of the deck wielding a large silver hammer isn't either but the second is a different type of non-hiding what we are." Alistr grins rather feral-like when he talks about the bear.
Captain August Galen
 player, 99 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 15:09
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix LeSchaye:
"No. But it will from now on. Thank you, ah, Carabas, was it?"


"Yup!" Happily chirps the demonic figurehead, and what passes as a bemused grin twists it's already warped toothy maw.

As passengers board ship it has plush seats for them to sit at. There is a captain's chair in the middle, made of what looks like iron studded & ornately crafted oak. In the chair sits the unconscious figure of Galen. The golden chain is still wrapped around the Captain's wrist, and it is attached at it's other end to a link ended in the chair. It appears even in this form Carabas cannot escape the chain.

Once everyone who wishes to board in on, the ship briskly leaves the ground and sails over the rooftops and tree-lines toward the castle and where the bright glow was seen.

(OOC: are any characters familiar with Northern Airships?)
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 37 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 15:40
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
PM
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 340 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 17:46
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The airborn approach does not go unnoticed by guards, and a bustle of torches starts to gather on the walls. It seems even to attract more attention than whatever is going on within them.

As the ship and Merlin fly closer, they can make out that the "light" from within is a moving object catching the light from torches and lanterns below, and sometimes obscuring a lit window. Sevastian is the first to recognize a familiar sound over the distant guards' voices as he walks along: an excited yelp that sounds like his younger brother.

Those peering over the walls from their lofty positions in the sky can make out, before too much longer, that the fluttering object is some sort of rigid structure catching the wind. Merlin recognizes it first, but everybody here saw it earlier this afternoon: it's his wingboard.

On it are two small humanoid figures, struggling to keep their balance on something designed for one larger, full-grown man as they fight the apparatus in a jerky, unsteady flight that occasionally rises above the towers and - so far - has not intersected with walls, trees, or ground below. Each time it dips dangerously close to a potentially-fatal impact, a flicker of wispy blue light gusts around the duo, briefly illuminating the faces of Freverick and Prince Seln, before it jerks aside and up again, avoiding harm.

If any guards notice this, they're more concerned about the approaching airship.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 42 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 04:07
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason peered over the edge of the ship as it flew through the air.  "Yep.  We just threw subtlety out of the window."

Sighing, he turned towards the castle to see what appeared to be two kids playing around on that flying board that Merlin was flying on earlier.  "I wonder if that's what Merlin ran off after.  I guess it would make sense since that's his board and all."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 38 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 02:44
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack


"Kids never listen. Damn it okay if I jump and shift the crazed guards are likely to shoot me. I don't have any better ideas though. I'm betting that we don't have very long before one of them gets hurt."
Captain August Galen
 player, 100 posts
Wed 25 Apr 2012
at 13:28
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack


Segev Stormlord:
The airborn approach does not go unnoticed by guards, and a bustle of torches starts to gather on the walls. It seems even to attract more attention than whatever is going on within them.


Carabas' masts start to raise white flags in an attempt to calm the guards, and the ship slows to take in the scene.

Alistr Hamrsoung:
"Kids never listen. Damn it okay if I jump and shift the crazed guards are likely to shoot me. I don't have any better ideas though. I'm betting that we don't have very long before one of them gets hurt."


The ship's boards creek. "Why don't you just shift & then jump, Mr?" asks the ship.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:29, Wed 25 Apr 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 341 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 21:46
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The duo on the wingboard get it just slightly enough under control to whoop together and take a quick look around. The sight of the airship causes one of them to startle, setting it to spinning vertically while they try desperately to keep it airborn, but it seems determined to aim nose-down and plummet!
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 39 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 03:50
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Blast!" Alistr shouts as he jumps and shifts into his hawk form. Diving as fast as he can in an attempt to get in front of the two boys before they hit the ground.

OOC: 5 successes on 3d10 TN 7 rolls were 10,10,7

This message was last edited by the player at 04:07, Fri 27 Apr 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 101 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 08:30
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
(OOC: How fast are they descending? I.e. are they traveling at full speed, or is the Windblade slowed for having the extra crew member?)
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 342 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 23:11
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg #87):

The wind-blade is nose-diving at faster speeds than a simple unpowered plummet. As Alistr zips towards it, the wind buffets him. Seln grips Freverick tightly, but Frev has a grimly determined look on his face. "I can do this!" he hisses to himself, it only carrying to Alistr's ears because of the suddenly-blue-glowing wind.

Seln nods, sharing Freverick's grim determination after glancing at the other boy. They pull together, but it's too late. Except Alistr is right there...
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 40 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 02:05
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
As the boys and hawk are about to impact the ground the hawk suddenly changes to a rather large hairy bear. The bear is a brown so dark it is almost black and at the moment seems to have a mass of bone plates along it's back. As they all were finishing the fall the bear wrapped the boys in what was perhaps a very literal bear hug. "Next time you boys should listen when told no."

OOC: activating Armor Forming Technique to absorb the impact some. Used the first speed shift knack to shift faster to spirit shape.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 343 posts
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 03:15
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Alistr finds himself grateful for the armored plates his magics conjured over his flesh, as winds buffet him, slowing the boys' fall enough for him to catch them, but also whipping about with razor-wild force and a faint blue glow. It's actually physically uncomfortable to be holding the boys, and one is still crying out in pain!
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 41 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 19:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
As the soldiers surround the heap of bear and boy the bear lets go and turns to stand slowly as the air had been knocked out of him. He slowly shifts back to human and puts his hands behind his head. Waiting for the shoe to drop so to speak. "I assure you that the boys are a bit healthier than if I had left them alone. I mean no harm and am a relative friend of the local populace. I mean no harm."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 344 posts
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 20:12
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Both boys scream at the talking bear, backing away swiftly. One of them is actually flung away, landing like a rag-doll, while the other falls on his backside, staring up at the bear. That one's hair is whipping about in the wind as glowing essence cascades off of him, pressing grass flat and, until he backed far enough away that Alistr was no longer in the area, whipping at the bear's supernaturally armored hide.

The boy who'd been flung struggles to a half-seated position. "Y-you'd b-better n-not... eat us..." he winces out. "My big brother'll..."

The one at the center of his own personal tornado jumps to his feet and rushes to interpose himself between the bear and the fallen boy, who's leg gets cut again by a razor of wind before he scoots back some more. "If you're a friend, identify yourself!" he proclaims, desperately trying to keep fear out of his voice and face.

A few guards on the wall have turned and are raising the alarm, now, though at least one is calling for caution rather than panic. Several others are still focused on the airship, and a few are leveling javelins and bows at it and its occupants.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 42 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 30 Apr 2012
at 17:19
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Do you remember the man whose wingboard you used after he told you to the young Prince? Merlin will surely have some choice words as will your mother and father the King and Queen. I assure you Prince I could have let you hit the ground and I would be safer for it. I am what your ignorant faith would call Anathema. I am no demon for if I was you would be very dead. My name is Alistr Hamrsoung and I was a humble smith now Luna has blessed me. I can never go back because of the misguided." the bear turned man told the young Prince.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 345 posts
Mon 30 Apr 2012
at 19:22
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"A- A-- ANATHEMA!?" gasps the young boy, stepping back a pace. Freverick, the boy on the ground behind him, yelps as the flux of air essence slashes at his feet once more, scrambling backwards and to his feet as well. The prince continues, "Anathema in the castle! Freverick, RUN, get the guards! I-- I'll hold him off here!"

Freverick does scramble back a bit more, but despite Prince Seln's assumption that means his friend is getting away, the patrician lad is merely trying to get a better look at things. "No, don--" he tries, but is cut off by Seln's continued yelling, drowned out so much it's unlikely anybody heard him.

Seln braces his right arm with his left hand, palm extended towards Alistr. "Begone from my father's lands, foul servant of the goat-wolf!" he commands, trying to sound regal but unable to hide the frightened squeak in his voice, amplified by the air blasting about him. "BEGONE!"

The wind gusts outwards, briefly illuminating the entire scene in a crackle of static-released lightning. The courtyard, it's one large tree and several smaller ones, the walls, normally dark, turned almost blue-white by the electrical discharge. The prince, hair whipping about, up and away from his face, a stark azure rather than its normal brown and ice-like lines making his young face seem sharper. The linear distortion of pale blue essence channelling a wind-bolt right at Alistr, punctuated by a third cry of "BE! GONE!"

((OOC: Air bolt attack, 1 die stunt, 10 dice (3 Dex, 3 Archery, +3 excellency, +1 stunt); 8 successes. Alistr may stunt defense.))

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:23, Mon 30 Apr 2012.

Mason Vaugn
 player, 43 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 1 May 2012
at 01:36
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason peered over the edge of the airship at the scene going on beneath him.  "Oh, great."  Turning to the others on the ship, he asked of them, "Do you think he can get himself out of there, or do we need to go in?"

Turning back to the scene, Mason watched as the kid threw a lightning bolt at Alistr.  "Yep, he's probably going to need some help."

Sighing, he strung his bow, hoping that the kid wouldn't get in too much trouble.  Taking a quick glance around the scene, he saw just what he needed to get the situation defused.  Shifting to a bird native to his hometown, he flew down, hoping to avoid being seen, but really, there was something much more attention-drawing than a bird.  Landing just around the corner from all the commotion, Mason shifted back to his human form, still attired in his guard uniform.  Good thing he hadn't changed out of that earlier.  (Chicks dig a man in uniform, or so he kept telling himself.)

Running around the corner, he stumbled in shock at the scene going on.  He had heard a commotion and someone yelling about anathema, but to see one here was still a shock.  The duke's son was in combat with a bear!  Mason quickly pointed his bow at the bear and fired an arrow at it.  "Run!  I'll stop him here while you retreat!  He's obviously here for you, and you're much more important than I am!"

Mason then fired another arrow at the bear to emphasize his point.

OOC: Social attack on Seln.  2 autosuccesses from excellency.  Perfect Symmetry is online.  8 motes spent.
20:32, Today: Mason Vaugn rolled 3 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 with rolls of 1,6,7,3,7,8. Social attack (Man+Soc) + 2 successes.
Total of five successes, with standard difference in Appearance lowering his MDV by up to 6.
If he tries to read Mason's motivations, assume Mason will use Mask of White Jade to make it auto-fail.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 220 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 1 May 2012
at 01:53
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Beatrix frowns as Alistr opens his mouth and disaster spews out. Looking around, she finds a spool of rope, lets out enough length to get to the ground, and then fastens it securely. Drawing her saber, a fine, polished thing, she takes the rope in her other hand, wraps her legs about it and rappels quickly down, coming to ground quite close to Alistr and Savn.

She strides up boldly and surely and, in a loud and clear tone says "Hold, vile creature! I am an ally of this land, and will not allow you to harm the Prince!" She flourishes her sword, swiping it through the air a few times before leveling it at Alistr. All the while as she rappels down, strides, and swipes at the air, she grows more and more magnificent in appearance and bearing, culminating in a terrible and awesome presence as she levels her gleaming blade at Alistr in a clear threat.

Glaring at him, she calls out, "Flee while you can, creature! Run until your legs can support you no more, run north to your master, and know that we are coming for him!"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:57, Tue 01 May 2012.

Merlin
 player, 239 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 2 May 2012
at 02:59
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Meanwhile, in the air above the castle, keeping to the shadows of night, is the Night Caste silently gliding along. His observation of the activities below amuses him. The emergence of an air aspected lost egg is fascinating. He wonders if Freverick was responsible in some fashion. His musings keeping him company, Merlin draws no attention, but waits as a possible avenging angel should something go wrong.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 43 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 2 May 2012
at 14:02
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"Just remember child you have been given a chance to learn a truth this day and you gave it up for fear. The day will come when I can walk in the daylight again. And remember you would be dead if it wasn't for me!" as he finishes Alistr shifts to bird form and flies away disappearing into the night. He slowly circles and returns to the airship a short time later if it is still there.
Frevrick
 player, 7 posts
 Resplendent Destiny
 The Sorcerer
Wed 2 May 2012
at 15:11
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The electrically-charged blast of air from the boy's panicked assault caught the bear a glancing blow on the shoulder that hurt a little even through his armored protection! As the self-proclaimed Anathema spun from the blow and retreated in the form of a bird, calling its heinous blasphemous taunts, Seln just yelled wordlessly, first in rage, then in triumph.

((OOC: Net one lethal health level to Alistr.))

Though the Prince has the grace to offer a grateful smile to the brave guardsman who helped him frighten away the monster, his eyes truly light up as his gaze sweeps past Mason towards the glorious image of the warrior-queen who swept in to save him. "Thank you, so much, m'Lady!" he offers in his best approximation of his father's smooth courtier's speech. "I wish I could claim I could have handled it, but I am not sure of that. But even so, you should not have risked yourself against such a demon; you're our guest here, and your safety is our concern." He steps forward to try to take Beatrix's hand, presumably to bow over it.

Meanwhile, Freverick, rather than obeying the command to leave (perhaps now that the beast is gone, he thinks the circumstances no longer warrant it), slips around the courtyard to Mason. "That was very brave, Sir," he says to the guardsman. "Thank you. I'm sure the Prince will be grateful, too, but...well, Lady LeSchaye is very distracting," he jokes.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 44 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 2 May 2012
at 15:16
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
PM
Mason Vaugn
 player, 44 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Fri 4 May 2012
at 00:12
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Mason laughed lightly.  "I can see how distracting she is.  Anyway, it's not like I did much.  The thing fled after she showed up, so all is good.  If you don't mind, I'm going to go back to my duties."

Mason then walked back around that convenient corner he came from the first time.  He was more than willing to let the warrior-queen have the spotlight.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 221 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 4 May 2012
at 17:18
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"You fought bravely nonetheless, Seln," Bea says in a congratulatory manner as she sheathes her sword. "While the guardsman and I were what drove the beast off (for one such as that could have easily overwhelmed you), it is well that you were so bold in your own defense. I am sure your parents will be proud of your bravery, and relieved of your safely..." and here she smirks. "Perhaps even enough that they will overlook what you were doing that brought you to the beast's attention, yes? Let us go and tell them, and you have my word that I will stand up for you in this."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:49, Fri 04 May 2012.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 45 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 4 May 2012
at 18:17
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Once back on board the airship Alistr shifts back to his human form and starts mumbling about ungrateful little brats. After awhile he chuckles then comes over to the Dragon "Well dumb question but are you gonna try and kill me now Mr. Terrestrial?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 346 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 19:35
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Freverick trails after Mason to his corner. "Are you sure you don't want a reward, or recognition? You could tell the guards on the battlements that it's been taken care of...but do you know what is up with that airship? Are we under attack?" he rapid-fires questions as they pop into his head, likely a result of adrenaline pumping through a small body with no idea what to do with it.

Seln allows Beatrix to lead him inside, looking a touch abashed. He thoughtlessly leaves the wingboard sticking up out of where it nose-planted in the ground, and the blue aura about him dies before it does more than fray the edges of Beatrix's blouse. They disappear into the castle to speak to the Duke and Duchess; guards are left to deal with the air ship that is, at least, apparently friendly.

((OOC: I'm going to let the PCs do as they will out here, guards will accept explanations fairly readily since Beatrix came from the ship to chase off the Anathema. Let me know when you're done out here and we'll move on to the next morning, unless there's something anybody wants to do that night.))
Captain August Galen
 player, 102 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 01:46
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #103):

In the airship sits the slouched form of Galen, groaning. Two buckets sit next to the Captain, one already containing some vomit. A crystal floats near the Captain, showing what Carabas can see of the scene below.

After Alistr arrives, Galen sticks out a gloved hand to the man, invited a handshake.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 50 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 12 May 2012
at 02:39
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Wrinkling his nose at the vomit Alistr takes the offered hand and speaks loud enough for Galen to hear "Nice to see you awake again Captain. Purging the excess I see. If you need anything other than holding your hair or cleaning up vomit don't hesitate to ask."
Captain August Galen
 player, 105 posts
Sat 12 May 2012
at 15:18
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #106):

"Heh, heh, heh. That is very kind of you, and I am afraid I will have to impose on your kindness sooner then latter.

But first, I'm shaking your hand because of what you just did, right now. If I live to an old age, I want to remember the day you revealed yourself to that young man, and showed them that the Lunar host are nothing like what they've been taught & terrorized to think.

And, as for that favor, you poor, poor, generous soul, I'm going to need some help tonight. Carabas here is being... difficult with her maintenance, and I'll need some help keeping her in line as I perform the needed procedures. Are you up to it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:19, Sat 12 May 2012.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 51 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 12 May 2012
at 16:33
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"He may not have acted on his knowledge correctly, but it is a seed. Sooner or later the young Prince will be king and he will remember that he owes his life to a Lunar. As for helping with maintaining your Carabas I will try. I have yet to master Magitech to the point that I can be of better service. Tell me what you need and I will try."
Captain August Galen
 player, 107 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 16:58
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg #108):

"Oh, ho, ho. Then you are in luck, for Carabas only mimics the appearance of Magitech. In truth, she is the product of another Crafting art, called Genesis. But even for such creations, her Maintenance will is unusual. I need to perform a ritual in what amounts to her 'engine room,' but she objects to the process, and will try to restrain me."

"I would greatly benefit from your skills as a warrior to hold her in check as I finish the ritual."

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 54 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Wed 16 May 2012
at 23:55
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
"One of the Created Ones. Just to be clear Captain. While I am a Lunar and all Lunars are warriors some are more than others. My hammer is more for smithing than skull smashing. It will do the job and does more often than I would like. I am a No Moon smith. Hardly what Lunars call a warrior." Alistr smiles a feral grin that shows his ursine teeth. "I will do my best. Which is more than it used to be."
Captain August Galen
 player, 109 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 14:31
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Alistr Hamrsoung:
"One of the Created Ones. Just to be clear Captain. While I am a Lunar and all Lunars are warriors some are more than others. My hammer is more for smithing than skull smashing. It will do the job and does more often than I would like. I am a No Moon smith. Hardly what Lunars call a warrior."


"Ah! My apologize, master smith. I meant no offense, and did not mean that you where restricted to only one interest. Few men are. But you have clearly show bravery twice today, and if that is not the mark of a true warrior, then I do indeed know nothing."

Alistr Hamrsoung:
Alistr smiles a feral grin that shows his ursine teeth. "I will do my best. Which is more than it used to be."


"That's all I ask for. I doubt Carabas would deliberately hurt us, but she does not always understand her own strength, and if she is not maintained soon, she may cause damage to the Duke's holdings. Let us proceed." It takes a second for the shaky Captain to get solid feet, and Galen must lean of the wall or a cane for support.

Galen leads to an ornate door, and the airship starts to lightly shake. A deep growl, much like a tyrant lizards, resonates through the ship. "No more blood will be spilled in my holds. No more." The ship begins to move away from the castle, sailing high and accelerating toward the mountains.

fluid gray slime oozes over the ornate door before Hamrsoung & Galen and solidifies & shapes itself into what appear to be a thick stone wall.

A test of strength will be required to access the door behind it.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:32, Sat 26 May 2012.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 56 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 26 May 2012
at 21:56
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
Given that the stone door wasn't there a minute ago Alistr drew on his Lunar nature and hit the door solidly and pried at it.

OOC: 4 successes on the Strength check. Burned 3 motes on First Strength Excellency.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 358 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 16:14
Re: In the Shepherd's Shack
The wall is tough, but its metallic appearance is proven to be fraudulent when it tears more like taffy than metal. Unfortunately, the engine room doesn't seem to be behind it, now. This is more of a kitchen.