Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 350 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 19:39
Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Four days later finds the trio of Knights leading the diplomatic envoy from Trademeet once more on the road to Watch Hill, where they will confront Duke Lothus. The news of Prince Seln's Exaltation dominated court gossip and kept the rookery occupied with hundreds of messages destined for all over the kingdom. Feasts were held nightly, first in celebration for the Ducal family and their guests, and then for the local gentry, and then a hasty festival for the townsfolk. The Knights' leaving was almost unnoticed in the hubbub. Even the arrival and subsequent disappearance of an air ship over the castle became merely a part of the more important event to Falanian politics.

Nonetheless, the new arrivals with the traveling group find themselves easily enough integrated. Though Sir Methius continues to watch them like a hawk expecting the mouse to flee at a moment's notice, Sirs Vaniel and Clavien treat them more as the diplomats and guests that they insist they are.

Mason and Sevastian had some minor difficulty escaping the affections of some of the lovely maids at Castle Oredol, so they had to spend the morning catching back up. Freverick rode with his big brother, pouting that he has to leave his friend Seln behind, but eager to catch up with Nath and see what trouble they can get into together. As noon draws near, those three catch sight of the rest of the traveling party of more than fifty people, and are, in turn, spotted by anybody who can make a single success on a Perception+Awareness roll.
Captain August Galen
 player, 103 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 02:26
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg #1):

((OOC: 22:18, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 4 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perception+Awareness.))


"Hello, my friends." Galen greats the late arrivals enthusiastically, but there is a weakness to the privateer's voice. Deep, dark circles rust under the Captain's eyes.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 52 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 13 May 2012
at 22:54
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
OOC: 3 successes on Per+Awareness. (9,2,10)

"So where exactly are we headed to and why? I never did find that out. Do we have a plan for when we get there?"
Mason Vaugn
 player, 46 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Tue 15 May 2012
at 23:32
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason shrugged his shoulders as he walked down the road with the others.  "No offense, but I thought we were going to head north and see what was up there with the raids."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 222 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 21 May 2012
at 02:33
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Beatrix nods in response to the queries from Mason and Alistr. "That is exactly where we are going. Watch Hill is indeed north of here, and it is on the frontier of the kingdom, as it were, where its people must, regrettably, weather frequent attacks from the beastman tribes we seek to investigate. We are traveling there to clear up the small matter of Duke Lothus' men being sent to abduct citizens of another nation, apparently in response to heavy losses due to the aforementioned raids. While there, we will also begin investigations into what the beastmen have been doing lately, in particular the details of their attacks against Falan. Once the matter between this nation and my own is settled, then we will proceed north to deal with the beastmen proper, and hopefully by this time will we have more information in our arsenal than we currently do."
Johy Crofterson
 player, 5 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 15:59
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"The only thing unusual is the frequency of their attacks," says the young guard with whom Merlin had been taking time to spar. "I don't think anybody can really put a stop to it entirely," he continues resignedly, "but then, before Merlin, I hadn't seen a man fly without being a hawk-man. Perhaps you can do something. I will ask Sir Methius if I can accompany you, when you've explained things to the Duke. You may need a guide."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:02, Sat 09 June 2012.

Sir Vaniel
 player, 2 posts
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 13:39
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Sir Vaniel slides his horse into position to join the conversation. "If Lady LeSchaye requires a guide, it would be remiss to send only one guard. I will volunteer to escort her personally, with a dozen of my men to see that she travels in safety and comfort," he offers loftily.

Johy inclines his head, not arguing with the knight. He does venture, "I merely wish to continue to prove myself worthy, that I may one day earn knighthood, myself, Sir."

"A very noble and lofty goal," agrees Vaniel gracefully. "Though you have never been a squire. You may wish to speak to Sir Methius about finding you such a position, if you're serious about it.

"What say you,"
he says, turning his attention on Beatrix, "How may I support you in your noble endeavors, m'Lady?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 13:39, Sun 08 July 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 224 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 02:04
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Our greatest need at the moment," says Bea, "would be information. You are a knight in the service of Falan, a kingdom hard pressed by the very attacks we have decided to investigate. If there is anything you know about the attacks that you have yet to tell us, I should be thankful to hear it."

"This goes for anyone who may have anything to share. Alistr, Mason, if you have anything you know or feel about all of this -- any hunch, no matter how vague, or any detail, no matter how seemingly trifling -- now would be the time to bring it up, for the road affords us the luxury of time with which to consider these matters."
Mason Vaugn
 player, 47 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 02:04
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason walked down the road, idly kicking a rock as he goes.  "Given that we're going closer to Miss LeSchaye's home territory, I doubt a guide will be necessary.  We'll be at our destination safe and sound sooner than we know."

After a hard kick sent the rock flying a good distance down the road, Mason looked over his shoulder and said to Beatrix, "Oh, by the way, there was no spy ring in that castle.  Just a lot of gossipy busy-bodies with too much time on their hands.  I think that they are probably grossly overstaffed."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 61 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 17:12
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
  "Umm well if you want to know about Ma-Ha-Suchi's Beastmen well he isn't being very nice Ma'am. I don't want to shock any of your sensibilities so would you accept broad strokes of the paintbrush as it were for what little bit I know o his plan for them and the slaves that he takes." Alistr asks honestly and without any hint of falsehood or guile. A trained observer would see that he is bad at that.
Sir Methius
 player, 2 posts
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 13:38
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The oldest of the Knights reined up his horse to let Alistr and those to whom he spoke catch up, his ears proverbially twitching. "That monster has particular plans for his most recent crop of victims?" he managed to roar without yelling. Demandingly, he went on, "Tell me everything you know. And how you know it." That last bit came with narrowed, suspicious eyes.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 62 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 16:22
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
   "Well last I knew he has them taken back to his camp and processed then they go to separate camps. One for combat personnel and another for noncombatant personnel. I don't know what exactly takes place within the camps. As far as how I know I have been there. Saw things and it didn't sit well so I made it out and now I'm here. Don't know what else you want to know knight, but threatening me is a bad idea. I'm a smith first and foremost.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 225 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 18:33
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I would indeed accept broad strokes," says Beatrix in response to Alistr. And noting that Alistr has no ability to dissemble, she decides to do so on his behalf. "As for how, Sir Methius, goodman Alistr knows this, it is simple; he belongs to an organization that has cause to consider Ma-Ha-Suchi their enemy. He and several others have been in the area spying upon his doings for some time, and it can be hoped that we will benefit from what they have learned in our efforts to deal a blow against that terrible beast."
With a smirk she continues; "Do you know, the first time I met one of their number they accused me of being a spy for the best? I was terribly offended at the time, naturally, but between that and your own accusations, I cannot help but find humor in it now."
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 63 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 18:48
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Enemy not so much. Idiot very much so. Either is good for the same reason. Broad stroke is this every few weeks he gets more Beastmen I can assume he is using slaves to breed them. The men go in weak and scared and come out strong and brave. That scares me. The logic is that Beastmen make better shock troops. Details I am unfortunately low on pretty high on assumptions." he says as nicely as possible.
Sir Methius
 player, 3 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 00:45
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"And you came to know about this 'organization' without telling us about it?" grumbled Methius, shaking his head. "What do you mean, young man, that the 'men come out strong and brave?'
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 64 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 09:11
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
 "They are trained soldiers who are fanatics. Fanatics aren't brave in the standard sense."
Sir Methius
 player, 4 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 11:12
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The grizzled knight frowns. Which is impressive; it implies he was not frowning before. "He's adding his human prisoners to his forces, then? Even worse than we'd thought. We'll have to start levying the peasantry and engage in some punative raiding to put a stop to this, for the peasants' own protection if nothing else," mused Methius, stroking his beard. "Where are these mind-control camps?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 226 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 04:59
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"On the contrary," says Beatrix, "I believe, with all due respect sir Methius, that sending peasant conscripts after them will only make things worse. They will be outnumbered, and in addition, the beastmen will have an advantage in that each individual is more powerful and better trained. Conscripts will likely be captures in large numbers - and then turned into more fanatics, as Alistr has described."
"Instead," she continues, "I believe precision raids by a small band of highly capable individuals with the willpower to resist unnatural mental influence would yield better results. We could go in, kill the ones who are brainwashing the peasantry, and then get out. Depending on the means employed, this may or may not break the control over those who have already been indoctrinated. If it does, all the better - the enemy will suddenly have a revolt on their hands."
She looks thoughtful. "And if that doesn't happen on its own, perhaps it could be encouraged. What, I wonder, would your lord think of having the enemy forces suddenly fighting themselves, with the end result being their numbers cut by more than half? Would that be, perhaps, a sufficient show of goodwill on the part of Trademeet to remove suspicion from our people?"
Sir Vaniel
 player, 3 posts
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 03:16
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"That sounds like an excellent idea!" exclaim both Nathier and Sir Vaniel at once. The squire looks a bit embarrassed, but his noble master pats him heartily on the back. "Well said, Nath! But yes, Lady LeSchaye, I pledge my men to this task."

"You're not planning on changing course now, are you? asks Sir Clavien incredulously.

Sir Methius shakes his head. "Of course not. The Duke awaits. He might approve this plan, though."

"Sir Methius, Sir Clavien, of course we do this now! The Lady's plan is bold, and must be acted upon swiftly!"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 227 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 02:51
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Oh but sir," says Beatrix, "I would never think to risk you and your men in such fashion. While I have no doubt of your valor nor your noble intentions, you would not hold out against the mind control. But you see, I am Exalted, and therefore I have methods of resisting such control that you do not. Merlin is as well, and we have some number of others we may call upon as allies in this endeavor; we can go in with impunity against the perfidious influence of Ma-Ha-Suchi, deal a blow against the means by which this influence spreads, turn it upon itself, and leave."
She smirks. "Besides, we will need you doughty men upon the border to keep it safe for us lest they chase us from their foul den. Even if our plan goes off perfectly, there is likely to be some attempt at retaliation, crippled though it be. Would it not be rude to prepare an admittedly cold welcome for them?"
Sir Methius
 player, 5 posts
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 03:26
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Wait, you don't think you're going off without meeting the Duke first!" exclaims Sir Methius. "You will have to get his Grace's per--"

Vaniel interrupts smoothly, "That's why I and my men will accompany her. I am sure, as an Exalt, the ravishing Lady LeSchaye can counteract this dastardly mind control for a few brave warriors.

"My sincere apologies, m'Lady, but you do see that at least one of us must accompany you, if only to represent Falanian interests."


Sir Methius looks like he's about to argue, but he suddenly changes his mind as his shoulders slump. "Feh. Politics," he grunts. "Clavien, you and I'll report this nonsense to the Duke. If young Vaniel doesn't return, we'll let him draw his own conclusions. I'm getting to old to argue with these young hotheads." The middle-in-age of the three knights seems very surprised by the eldest's acquiescence. So much so that he doesn't voice objection.

Nathier, the squire, claps a hand over his mouth to restrain the delighted squeak that would otherwise have escaped.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 228 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 04:01
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Ah," says Beatrix. "I should note that I hadn't said we won't be speaking to the Duke. If nothing else I wish to ensure that he will not be making any further unfortunate misapprehensions while we do our work."
Sir Methius
 player, 6 posts
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 11:18
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Methius and Clavien look relieved at that. "Oh, good. Let us be on our way, then. Unless any of the rest of you lot have some sudden urge to make dramatic declarations?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 65 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 11:32
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I declare that today is Kilowog day and every third sentence said by anyone must contain the word Kilowog. Yes that is my absurd declaration. Now we can move on Sir! What is that style of haircut Sir Methius Kilowog?" Alistr says as he smirks at the older knight. "No disrespect Sir, but you really must lighten up just a tad bit before I has the kids put snails in your under garments or pitch in your boots. Kilowog Sir Methius say it with me Kilowog."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 229 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 12:42
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Now now, Alistr," says Beatrix as she represses a smirk, "there is no need to be a sore poozer."

( OOC: Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Nath
 player, 3 posts
Thu 19 Jul 2012
at 22:46
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"What's a 'Poozer'?" piped up Nath, confused but interested. Hun and Poe looked relieved that they didn't have to admit they didn't know by asking, themselves. "For that matter, what's a killing wog? Are there non-killing wogs?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 66 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 00:53
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I will let the Lady explain what a poozer is. As for what a killowog is well it is a type of bird. See a killowog stands on it's own head to sleep. That being said that behavior is the least of it's strangeness. So I was basically calling Sir Methius a strange bird. That was a joke kids laugh it's ok the big scary knight doesn't want to get mad he should be used to being made fun of as he is far to serious."
Sir Methius
 player, 7 posts
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 03:56
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"What I am used to is respect and maturity from those old enough to wield a weapon," snorted the gruff knight. "The antics of children are cute. But not when coming from grown men."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 230 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 14:40
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Now now, both of you," Beatrix says gently, "Do calm down. There is no need to be disagreeable. It is not important who is 'right' here; what matters is that we can sort this entire mess out, and now have a plan of action to do so."
"As to the other, Nath; 'poozer' is an old Tengoto term for a young warrior who doesn't know when to pick their fights. The antagonism here is entirely uncalled for; we should save it instead for the beastmen who are, after all, our actual enemies. It is also associated with stories of killowog birds, and so I thought its use particularly apt."
Sir Clavien
 player, 1 post
Sat 21 Jul 2012
at 04:31
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"You are quite right, m'Lady," interjects Sir Clavien before anybody else could respond. "This is something to bring up with the Duke."

"Surely," comments Sir Vaniel, "He will want to send observers with her, if only to report."

"As I said, Sir Vaniel," replied Clavien firmly, once again just a bit too quickly as he attempted to cut a less diplomatic reply from Methius off before it could be uttered, "That is for the Duke to decide."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 363 posts
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 02:25
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
After a few more days of travel, a castle came into view. It was dusk when the Knights called for a halt and camp to be set up. A brief disagreement arose as Poe was so tired of the road that she actually suggested walking a couple hours in the dark if it meant getting to a city that night, but Panil, Sir Clavien's squire, laughed and explained that it was an illusion; they wouldn't reach the castle until nearly night fall the next day. Hun managed to talk her out of taking her frustration out of the squire's hide, to the amusement of Panil.

The tension between Poe and Panil grew the next day, as she sniffed and stomped off when he drew near. But the youth was proven more than correct; by mid-day on what the Knights promised was the last day of travel, the castle they'd seen the evening before was revealed to be only one tower. The rest of the castle slowly came into view at its base, looking almost like a mere cluster of huts.

"It's the watchtower after which the capital of Watch Hill gets its name," explained Vaniel to the Dale delegation as they stop for lunch. "The first king of Falan helped build it as a reward for the first Duke of Watch Hill's loyal service and voluntary acceptance of the hardest-to-defend of all the Duchies, that he might always see enemies coming from afar off." For once, Sir Methius did not seem to mind his youngest peer's prattle, even swelling a little with patriotic pride.

Merlin caught up with the group about an hour after that; from the air, the sheer size of the Watchtower at the center of the castle and the town around it was much more obvious, casting a shadow visible from the sky even when it was still nearly noon.

No sooner had he landed, just as the road swept up towards a tall hill, than shouting could be heard from the other side. At first, it seemed like it was just Poe yelling at Panil again as the squire ran by with a suspiciously half-empty bucket of water. But it was definitely not just one irate voice.

There were other travelers about on the road ahead, but they'd seemed to be moving peacefully along when Merlin last glimpsed them before beginning his descent...
Merlin
 player, 248 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 15:16
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 31):

Merlin ducks into a Wagon and uses Whirlwind Armor Donning Prana. Once he is suited up he will sneak on top of the wagon to get a good look from a belly down position.



OOC: The mobility penalty is 0 so this should be a misc action.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 365 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 03:47
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Merlin (msg # 32):

The sounds are coming from over a hill ahead, so Merlin would need to get up higher to see over it. However, his trained ears recognize the twang of arrows launching from bows amidst the other noises. That, and the muffled thump of hooves moving quickly on soft loam.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 48 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 03:03
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason stretched and yawned.  "Do all of you hear that?  I hear bad things in our future."

Mason pulled on his bow string, flexing it a bit before he went to put it on his bow.  "Well, maybe not bad.  Just unfortunate."
Merlin
 player, 249 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 03:58
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg # 34):

A blur of dark owl like wings, flat grey metallic armor with black leather, and total silence launches itself into the air above the wagon to get a better look at what is happening over the hill.



OOC: Merlin launches himself almost straight up flying.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:56, Sat 28 July 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 366 posts
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 13:42
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The black-winged bird's silent flight would be hard to notice if one wasn't watching it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:08, Sat 28 July 2012.

Merlin
 player, 250 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:00
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 36):

Merlin takes in the scene with no small amount of anger, mounting towards wrath. If he does not see Falan coats of arms or some other means of identifying the horse archers as part of a legal entity, then he will be attacking any target within his range (90meters). After which he will shout to his comrads to charge the enemy!
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 231 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:36
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Bea frowns as she hears what sounds like a violent confrontation ahead on the road. "Well, it sounds like there is ill work afoot," she says, and Merlin and Mason's own reactions to the sounds only confirm her suspicions. And so, she bolts forward, heading directly for the fray and drawing her saber as she goes.

...goodness, but she's fast.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 367 posts
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:46
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
As Beatrix crests the hill, a male voice calls out something that only Beatrix can really make out, but the people milling below are too busy with their current struggle to do more than be momentarily distracted.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 232 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 23:54
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Beatrix strides towards the assembled ruffians. One comes forward, weapon drawn, to stop her, and she responds by handily disarming him and then knocking him back with the flat of her blade. "We are Exalted," she says. "I am going to give you a single opportunity to desist in this attack and surrender immediately. Refusing would be inadvisable."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 369 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 03:15
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The disarmed thug's eyes widen with concern. "Nobody said nothin' about no Exalted!" he exclaimed. "We g--"

His mounted brethren either disagree, or have funny ideas of whatever "g--" means, as they fire bows at the caravan again, pegging mostly wood and cloth. One draft horse rears as an arrow pierces his rear haunch, a farmer goes down with an arrow in his shoulder, and the boy herding the goat loses his hat to an arrow that nails it to a peddler's pack, however.

"Um..." says the guy who was trying to surrender before turning and fleeing as fast as his two legs will carry him!
Merlin
 player, 253 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 03:26
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 41):

Seeing that the bandits didn't get the first hint Merlin swoops down. With one hand he fishes out 5 chakrum of obsidian. They all go whirling out in rapid succession. Seemingly out of nowhere fountains of blood gush forth from the throats of the five most forward archers. The manes of the horses they ride turn crimson as the animals become nervous with the sent of salty copper dripping to the ground. Hands go up to clutch at necks, but there is nothing to stop the torrent.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 67 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 11:11
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
 From nowhere a rather large bear comes trooping into the area and simply roars panicking several horses on both sides the bandits horses though are dumb and three charge it. The bear kindly removes the heads of all three with one sweep of it's massive paw. It smiles and then stomps off.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 49 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 03:22
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason peeked his head over the hill.  "Oh, just standard ruffians.  These aren't really going to matter much."

Mason began to string his bow, but as the bear came out of the woods, he thought better about it.  "You know, I think you guys have this handled.  It's so nice not to have to be the muscle for once."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 370 posts
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 02:31
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"'Muscle?'"
"'For once?'"

Poe and Hun peeked over the hill to either side of Mason. "You don't quite look the type, no offense."

"Even if you do have a certain roguish charm," teased Poe. Hun rolled his eyes.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 233 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:00
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Oh look," Beatrix comments with a dry tone. "A bear. And he doesn't seem to like you," she adds to the bandits.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 371 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:39
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Most of the bandits have turned to start galloping off by this point. One that managed to catch one of Merlin's chakrams in his horse's neck rather than his own is limping away as fast as his now-broken leg can carry him, and the one Beatrix was taunting is pouring on the speed as much as his own two feet will allow. Taking stock of the situation, a last brave soul fires an arrow each at Beatrix and the Bear before mastering his horse just enough to aim its panicked flight away.

The huddled and circled company of travellers the bandits had begun assaulting remains, for the moment, defensively curled. Some of the animals strain at their traces to flee the bear, but between the herd-boy and the farmers and the like at the reins, they aren't getting very far and aren't quite managing to organize a stampede.
Merlin
 player, 254 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:59
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 47):

Merlin comes to land beside the lady and says, "Look not now...." and then proceeds to tell her of the horsemen a ways off, which were not part of the bandits, but that he saw earlier.

"I am thinking they will leave and I should follow."

Should she give her ascent then Merlin will walk back over the hill as if back to the wagons. Instead he will make all haste and stealth to go and follow the observers whence they would go.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 234 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 14:12
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Beatrix frowns and swats the arrow sent her way out of the air with the flat of her sabre. "Watchers?" Peasants being kidnapped, and here we have mysterious brigands attacking a group of peasants with others watching... "Yes, perhaps you should keep an eye on them. See what colors they fly, if any. If they are not the men of the Duke or King, please follow them."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 372 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 02:48
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The last remaining (living) bandit continues to crawl pathetically and desperately away as the travelers slowly start to relax. A farmer built something like a yeddim rights a wagon that had fallen off the side of the road, and turns to the group with a huge grin. "I don't know how you did that, but thanks," he says in a voice that manages to boom despite the lack of walls off of which to echo. "Was that a trained bear you set loose?"

The others in the group are slowly pulling themselves together. The animals are expertly gathered up and herded into better behavior while their masters attempt to unfrazzel their nerves. "Yes, thank you," "We thought we were doomed," "They might've stolen and eaten my goat!" "If my tribute had been stolen, I wouldn't have enough left to feed my family," and the like chorus from them.
Merlin
 player, 255 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 13:29
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 50):

Merlin sneaks off intent on following the most likely real culprits.


OOC: Never ceases to amaze me how craptastic this dice roller is for large number of dice.

You rolled 5 successes using 18d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 ((6,4,2,5,8,5,1,10,3,3,6,4,5,7,9,3,1,4)).

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 68 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 13:41
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
 The bear disappears into the woods and several minutes later Alistr walks out. "What did I miss?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 235 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 16:01
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Something like that," Beatrix answers the very large fellow before she goes about making sure that all the farmers are alright, and seeing if anything was taken or any animals killed. If so, she reimburses them for their loss.
"And yet, I wonder," she asks, "Has this been happening a great deal? One would think it safe here, with the tower watching the roads and the duke's men all about?"
Johy Crofterson
 player, 6 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 18:58
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"No," answered Johy the guard as he and the other men at arms caught up. "This doesn't happen very often, for just the reason you said, Madam LeSchaye."

The farmers and all murmur agreement. "If we can't even be safe heading in to the Ducal Seat," bemoans one woman a bit older than Methius, "what is this kingdom coming to?"

The round straw hat bobs its way amongst the animals, calming them down. When they're more or less settled, the boy wearing it walks up to Alistr with a goat following behind him and looks up, grinning. "You missed us being saved by these wonderful people! They said they're Exalted! Are you one, too?" he asked cheerfully.

Johy and the other guards turn to those with more authority and ask, "What should we do about the bodies? And that one," Johy points at the one still scrambling slowly away, "should we let him go or take him prisoner?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 69 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 19:32
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
With a laugh he answers "No young man I'm just a smith. I would have helped if I had been here, but I was chasing a right bloody big bear." with that Alistr shows him the hammer.
Merlin
 player, 256 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 20:30
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Alistr Hamrsoung (msg # 55):

Merlin sits tight and does what he does best.

'Its a good thing that I am the best at what I do....well the best I have ever encountered.'
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 373 posts
Sun 5 Aug 2012
at 21:17
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The boy's mouth widens into an "O" of awe, but one of the peddlers picking himself up off the ground eyes Alistr oddly. "Why would a smith be chasing a bear?" he asks.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 70 posts
Sun 5 Aug 2012
at 21:22
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway

This message was deleted by the player at 21:28, Sun 05 Aug 2012.

Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 71 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Sun 5 Aug 2012
at 21:28
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
 "I follow the Dragon of Fire. Little rash I know, but hey what can I say. I didn't want the kids to get eaten." Alistr seems taken aback that the story would be questioned.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 374 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 02:10
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"The bear was a fire dragon?" replied the farmer, confused.

The boy looked like he thought that explained everything. "One of the Great Elemental Dragons themselves helped rescue us? Wow!"
Mason Vaugn
 player, 50 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 02:27
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason idly repsonded to Poe's jab (way up there) with, "I have been known to fight when it came to it.  I'd just rather not be forced into it.  There's generally little profit to be made when violence starts."

Mason turned his attention away from the farmer and the little boy.  Anyone else watching him could see him rolling his eyes and presumably biting his tongue.  Rural folk could be so ignorant sometimes.
Sir Clavien
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 02:56
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Mason speaks wisely," says Sir Clavien as he approaches. "It is often better to avoid violence if possible. It's a lot harder to stop once it has started than it is to prevent in the first place. It usually takes people a lot longer to learn this."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 375 posts
Sun 12 Aug 2012
at 18:50
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
As the last living bandit manages to scramble over a hillock and out of sight on his broken leg, the traveling peasantry finally get themselves organized. Those who took arrow wounds are being helped onto wagons, the peddlers take stock of their wares, and the herd boy, fascinated by the smith's tale of bear-chasing, nevertheless manages to get the livestock calmed down.

Still a bit shaken, however, they look to their noble saviors and the obvious knights with them. "Will you be escorting us the rest of the way in, Sirs?" asks one burly farmhand, probably almost as old as Vaniel but twice his size in the shoulders and chest.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:39, Mon 13 Aug 2012.

Merlin
 player, 257 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 13 Aug 2012
at 03:37
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 63):

Merlin keeps up with the two horseman. He can't follow their conversation from this distance while they are galloping away, but he can certainly find out where they stop. Once they are off and he knows their general direction it seems much easier to follow them.

Keep going so that I can find out to whom you will report.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 376 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2012
at 23:36
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Sir Vaniel wastes little time in taking charge of the peasants, who seem more than a little relieved to have a nobleman with men-at-arms there to ensure they get to the city safely.

Clavien and Methius leave him to it by silent agreement.

The boy with the round hat walks up to Beatrix while all of this is going on, and asks, "Thanks again for rescuing us. Did you bring the nice circus lady with you?" He keeps a firm grip on his goat's collar, not letting it nibble at Beatrix's dress.
Merlin
 player, 258 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 14 Aug 2012
at 04:57
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Merlin stays in the camp until the Unconquered Sun relinquishes the sky to Luna. He uses his Armor of the Unseen Assassin to assist him in staying unobserved. He gleans any additional information he can from those that might be gossiping if he can not discover anything else from the principle actors. Specifically he attempts to discover if any of them are Exalted in some way or another .



OOC: Meanwhile, the main party gets to have some real fun with a Duke r is that another day of travel away?
Mason Vaugn
 player, 51 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 15 Aug 2012
at 02:39
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason asked the person nearest him in a whisper (maybe Sir Clavien, maybe someone else.  Certainly not Merlin as he's left) "Do you know who the circus lady is?"
Sir Clavien
 player, 3 posts
Thu 16 Aug 2012
at 00:33
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I don't know," responds the middle-aged knight. "There was no such person with the Lady LeSchaye's entourage when we met them."

"There was one at the festival in the Dale," offered Ocean Soul.

Fire Soul nodded. "And seeing as that little goat boy was there, trying to beg for apples, I suspect that's who he meant," she contributed.

Hun added, conclusively, "K, of K's Circus, if I recall correctly. But she stayed back in the Dale with her troupe."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:37, Thu 16 Aug 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 236 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 17 Aug 2012
at 02:43
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Ah yes, I remember you young man. And your goat. Odd to see you so far from home, although I am glad that you seem to be in good health. I'm afraid K isn't traveling with us; it is truly a shame, as her caravan was quite remarkably comfortable."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 377 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2012
at 03:06
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Oh, I don't live in the Dale, Miss," said the boy politely. "I was there for the festival, is all. I'm here hoping I can trade my billy goat's stud services for a she-goat, so I can get a proper herd going and maybe have some goat's milk. These nice people were letting me herd their livestock, too."
Merlin
 player, 259 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 22 Aug 2012
at 03:40
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 70):

It was almost 2 hours after they arrived that Merlin found himself knocking on Beatrix LeSchaye door. He was dressed simply, with his cloak over his almost ever present backpack. Once given permission to enter he does so. After a few pleasantries are passed back and forth he gets down to business. He searches the room during this time to see how somebody could listen in. In a low voice, that is not a whisper,

"Lady LeSchaye, it would seem that those others I saw traveled for an hour to a bandit camp where there were slaves being held. The larger one had Guild markings upon his horses gear."

Merlin tells the Lady about he crest upon the larger riders tack, they are a particularly ruthless investment company.

"He mentioned to a possibly middle aged man that was wealthy looking, but well built, that Ystara had concerns about something special amongst the peasants attacked. Our counter attack and defeat of the Bandits was reported and the wealthy man thought it might become a problem but a woman named Lisia interrupted and said the deal would go through. It appears that Lisia believes that the 'deal' has the approval of the rightful god of Trademeet and her step-father. She mentioned that her mother's subordinate was this Ystara. Lisia then said that she would see to it that the 'exalted' would be entangled and distracted."

"The wealthy man took this at face value and thanked her for her mothers aid and said that he would be sure that his men made the appropriate prayers to her....as requested."

"I also gathered from the men that they wished their 'other' exalted allies were not sick or detained."

After a pause, "What do you think?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 238 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 24 Aug 2012
at 04:46
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Beatrix sets down her cup of tea (having some tea was one of her first priorities upon getting back off the road), frowning. "I think that someone is pulling a large and remarkable scam, good Merlin. One possibility is that the people at the camp who claim Trademeet is involved in this are all lying, the other is that there are a great many people using our name but breaking our laws. Either way, I should very much like to go and have words with them. We'll need to conclude our business here at the tower first, however; it would be rude as well as suspicious to just leave so soon after arriving."

After a contemplative pause, she says " Merlin? Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I appreciate your helping to get to the bottom of this... this mess."
Merlin
 player, 260 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 25 Aug 2012
at 14:37
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 72):

"I serve where our Lord sends me, m'lady."

With that Merlin retires to the room set aside for him by his companions.