Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 65 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 11:32
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I declare that today is Kilowog day and every third sentence said by anyone must contain the word Kilowog. Yes that is my absurd declaration. Now we can move on Sir! What is that style of haircut Sir Methius Kilowog?" Alistr says as he smirks at the older knight. "No disrespect Sir, but you really must lighten up just a tad bit before I has the kids put snails in your under garments or pitch in your boots. Kilowog Sir Methius say it with me Kilowog."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 229 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 12:42
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Now now, Alistr," says Beatrix as she represses a smirk, "there is no need to be a sore poozer."

( OOC: Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Nath
 player, 3 posts
Thu 19 Jul 2012
at 22:46
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"What's a 'Poozer'?" piped up Nath, confused but interested. Hun and Poe looked relieved that they didn't have to admit they didn't know by asking, themselves. "For that matter, what's a killing wog? Are there non-killing wogs?"
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 66 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 00:53
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"I will let the Lady explain what a poozer is. As for what a killowog is well it is a type of bird. See a killowog stands on it's own head to sleep. That being said that behavior is the least of it's strangeness. So I was basically calling Sir Methius a strange bird. That was a joke kids laugh it's ok the big scary knight doesn't want to get mad he should be used to being made fun of as he is far to serious."
Sir Methius
 player, 7 posts
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 03:56
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"What I am used to is respect and maturity from those old enough to wield a weapon," snorted the gruff knight. "The antics of children are cute. But not when coming from grown men."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 230 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 14:40
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Now now, both of you," Beatrix says gently, "Do calm down. There is no need to be disagreeable. It is not important who is 'right' here; what matters is that we can sort this entire mess out, and now have a plan of action to do so."
"As to the other, Nath; 'poozer' is an old Tengoto term for a young warrior who doesn't know when to pick their fights. The antagonism here is entirely uncalled for; we should save it instead for the beastmen who are, after all, our actual enemies. It is also associated with stories of killowog birds, and so I thought its use particularly apt."
Sir Clavien
 player, 1 post
Sat 21 Jul 2012
at 04:31
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"You are quite right, m'Lady," interjects Sir Clavien before anybody else could respond. "This is something to bring up with the Duke."

"Surely," comments Sir Vaniel, "He will want to send observers with her, if only to report."

"As I said, Sir Vaniel," replied Clavien firmly, once again just a bit too quickly as he attempted to cut a less diplomatic reply from Methius off before it could be uttered, "That is for the Duke to decide."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 363 posts
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 02:25
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
After a few more days of travel, a castle came into view. It was dusk when the Knights called for a halt and camp to be set up. A brief disagreement arose as Poe was so tired of the road that she actually suggested walking a couple hours in the dark if it meant getting to a city that night, but Panil, Sir Clavien's squire, laughed and explained that it was an illusion; they wouldn't reach the castle until nearly night fall the next day. Hun managed to talk her out of taking her frustration out of the squire's hide, to the amusement of Panil.

The tension between Poe and Panil grew the next day, as she sniffed and stomped off when he drew near. But the youth was proven more than correct; by mid-day on what the Knights promised was the last day of travel, the castle they'd seen the evening before was revealed to be only one tower. The rest of the castle slowly came into view at its base, looking almost like a mere cluster of huts.

"It's the watchtower after which the capital of Watch Hill gets its name," explained Vaniel to the Dale delegation as they stop for lunch. "The first king of Falan helped build it as a reward for the first Duke of Watch Hill's loyal service and voluntary acceptance of the hardest-to-defend of all the Duchies, that he might always see enemies coming from afar off." For once, Sir Methius did not seem to mind his youngest peer's prattle, even swelling a little with patriotic pride.

Merlin caught up with the group about an hour after that; from the air, the sheer size of the Watchtower at the center of the castle and the town around it was much more obvious, casting a shadow visible from the sky even when it was still nearly noon.

No sooner had he landed, just as the road swept up towards a tall hill, than shouting could be heard from the other side. At first, it seemed like it was just Poe yelling at Panil again as the squire ran by with a suspiciously half-empty bucket of water. But it was definitely not just one irate voice.

There were other travelers about on the road ahead, but they'd seemed to be moving peacefully along when Merlin last glimpsed them before beginning his descent...
Merlin
 player, 248 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 15:16
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 31):

Merlin ducks into a Wagon and uses Whirlwind Armor Donning Prana. Once he is suited up he will sneak on top of the wagon to get a good look from a belly down position.



OOC: The mobility penalty is 0 so this should be a misc action.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 365 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 03:47
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Merlin (msg # 32):

The sounds are coming from over a hill ahead, so Merlin would need to get up higher to see over it. However, his trained ears recognize the twang of arrows launching from bows amidst the other noises. That, and the muffled thump of hooves moving quickly on soft loam.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 48 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 03:03
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason stretched and yawned.  "Do all of you hear that?  I hear bad things in our future."

Mason pulled on his bow string, flexing it a bit before he went to put it on his bow.  "Well, maybe not bad.  Just unfortunate."
Merlin
 player, 249 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 03:58
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Mason Vaugn (msg # 34):

A blur of dark owl like wings, flat grey metallic armor with black leather, and total silence launches itself into the air above the wagon to get a better look at what is happening over the hill.



OOC: Merlin launches himself almost straight up flying.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:56, Sat 28 July 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 366 posts
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 13:42
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The black-winged bird's silent flight would be hard to notice if one wasn't watching it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:08, Sat 28 July 2012.

Merlin
 player, 250 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:00
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 36):

Merlin takes in the scene with no small amount of anger, mounting towards wrath. If he does not see Falan coats of arms or some other means of identifying the horse archers as part of a legal entity, then he will be attacking any target within his range (90meters). After which he will shout to his comrads to charge the enemy!
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 231 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:36
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Bea frowns as she hears what sounds like a violent confrontation ahead on the road. "Well, it sounds like there is ill work afoot," she says, and Merlin and Mason's own reactions to the sounds only confirm her suspicions. And so, she bolts forward, heading directly for the fray and drawing her saber as she goes.

...goodness, but she's fast.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 367 posts
Sat 28 Jul 2012
at 16:46
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
As Beatrix crests the hill, a male voice calls out something that only Beatrix can really make out, but the people milling below are too busy with their current struggle to do more than be momentarily distracted.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 232 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 23:54
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Beatrix strides towards the assembled ruffians. One comes forward, weapon drawn, to stop her, and she responds by handily disarming him and then knocking him back with the flat of her blade. "We are Exalted," she says. "I am going to give you a single opportunity to desist in this attack and surrender immediately. Refusing would be inadvisable."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 369 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 03:15
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
The disarmed thug's eyes widen with concern. "Nobody said nothin' about no Exalted!" he exclaimed. "We g--"

His mounted brethren either disagree, or have funny ideas of whatever "g--" means, as they fire bows at the caravan again, pegging mostly wood and cloth. One draft horse rears as an arrow pierces his rear haunch, a farmer goes down with an arrow in his shoulder, and the boy herding the goat loses his hat to an arrow that nails it to a peddler's pack, however.

"Um..." says the guy who was trying to surrender before turning and fleeing as fast as his two legs will carry him!
Merlin
 player, 253 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 03:26
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 41):

Seeing that the bandits didn't get the first hint Merlin swoops down. With one hand he fishes out 5 chakrum of obsidian. They all go whirling out in rapid succession. Seemingly out of nowhere fountains of blood gush forth from the throats of the five most forward archers. The manes of the horses they ride turn crimson as the animals become nervous with the sent of salty copper dripping to the ground. Hands go up to clutch at necks, but there is nothing to stop the torrent.
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 67 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 11:11
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
 From nowhere a rather large bear comes trooping into the area and simply roars panicking several horses on both sides the bandits horses though are dumb and three charge it. The bear kindly removes the heads of all three with one sweep of it's massive paw. It smiles and then stomps off.
Mason Vaugn
 player, 49 posts
 Changing Moon Lunar
 Happy to be alive
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 03:22
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Mason peeked his head over the hill.  "Oh, just standard ruffians.  These aren't really going to matter much."

Mason began to string his bow, but as the bear came out of the woods, he thought better about it.  "You know, I think you guys have this handled.  It's so nice not to have to be the muscle for once."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 370 posts
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 02:31
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"'Muscle?'"
"'For once?'"

Poe and Hun peeked over the hill to either side of Mason. "You don't quite look the type, no offense."

"Even if you do have a certain roguish charm," teased Poe. Hun rolled his eyes.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 233 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:00
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
"Oh look," Beatrix comments with a dry tone. "A bear. And he doesn't seem to like you," she adds to the bandits.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 371 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:39
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
Most of the bandits have turned to start galloping off by this point. One that managed to catch one of Merlin's chakrams in his horse's neck rather than his own is limping away as fast as his now-broken leg can carry him, and the one Beatrix was taunting is pouring on the speed as much as his own two feet will allow. Taking stock of the situation, a last brave soul fires an arrow each at Beatrix and the Bear before mastering his horse just enough to aim its panicked flight away.

The huddled and circled company of travellers the bandits had begun assaulting remains, for the moment, defensively curled. Some of the animals strain at their traces to flee the bear, but between the herd-boy and the farmers and the like at the reins, they aren't getting very far and aren't quite managing to organize a stampede.
Merlin
 player, 254 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 02:59
Re: Ripples and Rumors in the Roadway
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 47):

Merlin comes to land beside the lady and says, "Look not now...." and then proceeds to tell her of the horsemen a ways off, which were not part of the bandits, but that he saw earlier.

"I am thinking they will leave and I should follow."

Should she give her ascent then Merlin will walk back over the hill as if back to the wagons. Instead he will make all haste and stealth to go and follow the observers whence they would go.