Chasing the Guildy.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Merlin
 player, 313 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 04:51
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 133):

23:47, Today: Merlin rolled 5 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+awareness+Essence Sight.


23:49, Today: Merlin rolled 1 success using 3d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Air Dragon Sense bonus if within 30 yards.


Always ready for action, Merlin waits for his sense to tell him where to fly and at what to throw.

'Interesting trick she has there. However, if it didn't register via my armors essence sight it can't have that broad of a range!'
Azalea
 player, 91 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 09:24
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She seems confused for a few moments.

"I... I am not certain what this is."

She tries to figure out if it just happened, or she was always this... thing.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 323 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 15:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Capture her quickly," Beatrix says; only five syllables, which is downright terse for her. Following her ears, she leaps to pursuit of the fleeing slaver, readying her saber as she goes.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 513 posts
Fri 15 Mar 2013
at 03:49
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix heads in roughly the right direction, but Merlin's feeling of the air and the clarity granted by his armor's sensors allows him to move to parallel the Councilwoman of Trademeet Dale, so the woman running ineptly through the underbrush is unable to go to the right or to the left and is swiftly overtaken when her stealth fails her. "What is wrong with you people?" she demands breathlessly, holding up one hand imperiously as if to command them not to accost her while she rests her other hand on one elegant knee and catches her breath.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 325 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 04:07
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Not a thing," says Beatrix. "Now, see you here. I am trying very hard not to have to kill you. I would be appreciative if you were to assist me in this endeavor by being a good captive, instead of a naughty captive. You will make certain agreements, and then you and your bodyguard can be on your way and we shall never, fate willing, see each other again. Does that not sound delightful?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 514 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 14:43
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"You-- you wait for me to be asleep, then plot to take me captive!?" she seems incredulous, indignant, and really more affronted than threatened. Though she does seem threatened. "What sort of banditry are you seeking to employ that you resort to extortion to obtain agreements, rather than honest trade? No wonder your success is more rumored than evinced if your 'business' is so tawdryeeeEEE!" she cuts off, having been backing slowly away and now bumping up against Merlin - or perhaps a stately tree; it's hard to tell with the stealthy Exalt.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 326 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:07
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix sneers at the woman as she approaches her. "I will not hear of 'honest trade' from a wretch who trades in slaves and starts wars for profit. If money can persuade you to abandon your operations in this area, then perhaps we can work out a deal that does not involve your life as a bargaining chip; otherwise, you will simply agree to do what we say, or you will be slain. I will have your cooperation or I will have your head. Either way," the taller woman says as she gets closer to the slaver, "You will work for us."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 516 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Matield's wide, deer-in-lamplights eyes narrow shrewdly, though the tension doesn't leave their corners. "What're you offering? War is not my business; I just have partners who don't mind it. What is it you're looking to...hire...me for?" she asks, betraying her continued fear with a nervous glance at the weapon Beatrix carries.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 327 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix smiles. "Well. If you could be induced to assist in dismantling the network you've helped set up, that would certainly be worth something. Do keep in mind that you've told me enough already for us to dismantle it ourselves; having you along would just make it less work."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 517 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:43
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Barely avoiding sputtering, the Guildswoman objects, "But-- You-- you're not going to use it? It's some of my best organizational work! And besides, my step-father would not stand idly by. My mother loaned me to this project as a favor to him; I-- you-- er, we can't just dismantle it! It wouldn't be good business, and it would be disastrous politics! Your own City Father would be against it! Not to mention the Guild interests, and your own city's financial well-being."
Azalea
 player, 92 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 19:00
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea just listens, quite puzzled, all that stuff about politics going right over her head.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 328 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 03:14
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix waves dismissively. "Your services are of value and should go to the highest bidder; I am willing to pay you better than your mother. I care little for what Calm Dasher thinks; what good is a city father who has left his city abandoned so long it no longer knows his name? I am an officiated priestess who has lived in Trademeet all my life. And yet I have never heard of him; this should show how much he cares for us."
"As to accepting the slave network  and 'putting it to work' - dear girl, that is exactly what I am doing. While it won't serve the purpose you came her eto ensure, it will serve me still. Someone has been about this awful business in my own back yard, and I will find out exactly who, and I will take them to task for it. Dismantling this organization will draw them to me, which is what I wish. If any come asking you about it, feel free to tell them who put you up to this; if it makes you feel safer, then do by all means put upon them that you are only doing this under duress, and oh won't they please save you from that awful woman?"
"Here, then, is what I propose for you. I propose to set you up on an internship, after which you will be set to make your own way in the world, without needing to rely upon the goodwill of your parents, save to that extent that anyone wishes not to infuriate a goddess. I will pay you, furnish you with lodging in my palacio, and I shall refine your salesmanship. When I am satisfied with your skills - which ought take no more than a season, if that - I shall establish you as an administrator within my financial empire. You will be working for me, but otherwise on your own, free to develop your life as you see fit. You will even be able to break away and make a start for yourself if you wish it, after the contract expires."
"Before you move in, of course, you will need to go and collect your things from your current residence in, I presume, Yu-Shan? Yes? Very good. While you're there, perhaps you could complain to your mother about what I am doing, and see that she tells her husband about it? I believe that will accomplish just what I wish."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 521 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 23:19
Re: Chasing the Guildy
After some lengthy discussion - and some discrete fading into the background by the menacing Merlin - Matield agreed to travel a bit with the group, discussing this...arrangement...with Beatrix. For the next day and a half, she proved to be a witty and rather charming - if a bit spoiled at times - woman who knew how to be a part of any conversation without dominating it, unless she wanted to.

Her bodyguard - whose name turned out to be Aldur, with no last name forthcoming - slept through the night and seemed not to even realize something hostile had nearly happened.

At a less break-neck pace, Matield al Ystara and Aldur parted ways right about where the bandits had been attacking the travelers just after the Watch Tower had come into view. Deen covered one eye and stared into the distance. "If we go north now, we should be able to catch up with Father a few hours before he makes contact with the beastman raiders, in just a couple days," he offers, squinting uncharacteristically. "...but I think I need to stop at the Hill, first."

((OOC: Perception+Awareness diff 1 to notice that his red eye has only a little red left pooled in the lower part, near the base of the iris; it's mostly white and healed by now.))
Merlin
 player, 316 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 02:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 146):

"Perhaps you and I should return to the city while the rest head towards your father's position. That is, if you want to join them via glider young sir?"

Merlin is back to being Merlin the fair haired Northern Lost Egg and not the menacing Specter Owl.
Azalea
 player, 94 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 03:31
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea observes Deen's eye. If only there was a way to observe someone's eye without staring so obviously...
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 522 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 04:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Deen's eye honestly looks much better. Only a little disturbing with that remaining splotch of red under the iris. "Glider!? Salf'll be so jealous! Hell yeah!" exclaims the youth in genuine excitement. Ned and Freverick actually look a bit put-out.

"There's not...going to be room on it for more than the prince, is there," says Frev, looking downcast.
Merlin
 player, 317 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 14:25
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 149):

"Unfortunately no, but should we survive the coming battle, and the the glider does as well, then I will be happy to take the two of you up as well. You will see the world in a way that will increase your appreciation and awe of creation."

He gestures to the Lady, "By your leave, we will head out towards the tower."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 329 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 16:38
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix nods in agreement. "Well thought, Merlin. We will meet up with you in the near future."
Captain August Galen
 player, 167 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 00:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
While Beatrix speaks to the others, Galen leans in close to Matield and addresses an old question nagging at the back of the brigand's head for a while, now. "So, Lady Matield, how does Calm Dasher operate? I'm a bit baffled by a City Father whom does not directly work with his city. The logistics of gaining secretive worship, alone, perplexes the mind."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 523 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 04:04
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Matield shrugs, as if it hadn't really crossed her mind, and answers with a bit of the slowness of speech of one putting new thoughts into words. "City Fathers rarely interact too directly. Celestial law is fairly strict about how one can go about promoting one's domain." Her tone gets slightly mocking, obviously finding the rules she quotes next a bit silly. "Can't get in the way of the Terrestrial Courts' appointed duties. Can't bargain for better blessings than are allowed by quota. Can't manipulate things outside the schedules of the Bureau of Destiny." Pushing air through her loosely closed lips in a bit of un-lady-like derision, she finished, "And with this Maharishi of Excellence horning in like he's a local divinity with business there, no doubt he couldn't get much worship in edge-wise. Besides, Trademeet Dale's been growing very rapidly; it's easy for mortals to forget how things run on a Celestial time scale."
Captain August Galen
 player, 168 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 14:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 153):

"Fascinating bureaucratic mechanics.

That does raise a questions, though. If Maharishi of Excellence is not the City Father, then what is he the god of?"

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 525 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 15:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned walks along near Azalea and Beatrix, but tilts his large, round, straw hat to listen to this conversation, somewhat fascinated by this talk of gods. Matield offers an elaborate shrug, dismissing the subject of her response. "He's really just a divine hobo. Ever since the Balorian Crusade, he's not been a god of anything significant. He used to work for my mother in the far East, but that was long ago and his glory days are well behind him."
Captain August Galen
 player, 169 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 17:02
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 155):

"Huh. This posing as a City Father, this thief of prayer, is it not illegal among the gods? Is there no legal recourse?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 526 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 20:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Oh, quite illegal," replies Matield in a gossipy tone. "I'm sure Calm Dasher has all sorts of audit-requests filed. If my step-father puts his clout behind them, they may even be expedited to be handled within the next few months."
Azalea
 player, 95 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 23:37
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She seems to be thoughtful about city fathers and divine hobos and audits and crusades, but she remains silent.