Chasing the Guildy.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 454 posts
Sat 10 Nov 2012
at 04:10
Chasing the Guildy
After some discussion and calculation of travel times, Prince Deen suggested that Merlin and he accompany the Lady LeSchaye and the others in their pursuit of the duo galloping across Falan. Merlin's flying board can get him back north to meet up with his father and the army when they are nearing the Beastmen, and in the meantime, Salf can use the Viewing Mask to track the duo and Deen can help guide to them.

And his suggestion probably has only a little to do with wanting to keep the company of the lovely ladies and the new and interesting "Captain Galen" for a while longer.

After Beatrix's promise to help increase the value of Azalea's gems and use the proceeds to buy a she-goat was relayed to Ned, the little goat-boy was profuse in his thanks and more than happily accompanied the troupe. He seems, as they travel, to be hitting it off with Deen in a kid-brother sort of way.

Merlin notices even before Deen gestures for everyone to come to a stop so he can cover his eye and use his connection to the Viewing Mask again: the game trail they've just come across was used recently by two horses carrying riders. Within the last few hours. Deen's indication that they're directly along that route is thus no surprise. It is, however, sunset. "I think we might catch them by dawn if we continue!" suggests the prince with the eagerness of a teenager who doesn't think about sleep until he's falling over tired.

Ned, on the other hand, is already only keeping up and awake out of sheer determination not to complain. His goat offers no comment, simply keeping pace and munching on any scenery that gets in reach of his blunt teeth.
Azalea
 player, 54 posts
Sat 10 Nov 2012
at 07:09
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea doesn't seem to have any problems with long travels, although she doesn't seem particularly strong or of any notable constitution, and in fact she offers Ned a piggyback ride when she evaluates he is tired.

The goat is on his own, though. He's spoiled enough as it is.
Captain August Galen
 player, 121 posts
Sat 10 Nov 2012
at 10:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Hmmm..." Galen notices Ned's fatigue, but reaching these potential interlopers early in the game was too important. Besides, The Captain was very confident with the large group of Exalted and heroes in there group. "I think you are right. Let us press on & get this over with."
Merlin
 player, 294 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 12 Nov 2012
at 03:20
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Merlin, for his part has been rather silent. When he can he takes to the trees and moves amongst them as a flanker and scout for the main party. At one point the group finds three rabbits which have been cut in half with some sticks and twigs to make a fire. This means that Merlin is probably hungry and has provided meat for the 'table'. Taking a bit to rest and get a hot meal in now, when it wont easily be detected might not be a bad idea. Moving on afterwords will be easier, perhaps.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 458 posts
Tue 27 Nov 2012
at 18:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The tracks left by the duo are only subtle because they're following regular game trails. It does not appear, to those with the expertise to tell such things, that they stopped at the next clearing across which the trails run. Not surprising; they would have passed by hours earlier, and then it would have been mid-afternoon. Now, however, if one wanted a place to stop, it could be ideal, provided there are no unpleasant surprises the unwary might miss.
Captain August Galen
 player, 131 posts
Tue 27 Nov 2012
at 22:47
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Galen, not being a good tracker, hangs back in the procession, hoping to at least help defend the groups' rear and flanks.

EDIT: OOC: Should we make any rolls?

This message was last edited by the player at 12:33, Thu 29 Nov 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 459 posts
Fri 30 Nov 2012
at 14:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 6):

(OOC: Entirely up to you guys; if you want to take an action, stunt taking that action and make a roll. If I deem it deserves stunt dice, I'll let you know and you can edit the stunt dice in if it might make the difference in how well you succeed.

I'm kind-of waiting on you guys to make a decision. The targets are so far ahead that they'd have to be deliberately using magic to hear anything you say, and at that point, your travel noise would alert them as much as anything else, so this is as safe a place to talk as possible while friendly NPCs are around. If you just want to continue on, that's fine, too. Just need to make your decision and follow through on it in-character so I can continue as appropriate!)

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:35, Fri 30 Nov 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 133 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 02:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 7):

((OOC: Well, I think the rest of us are currently going to ride straight on without stop until we catch up with the two travelers while Merlin expertly scouts ahead, unless others have any suggestions IC for us to proceed differently?

Oh. Idea.))


While Galen is not a tracker or wilderness expert the brigand has been a student of the art of war and understands the advantages & disadvantages of various landscapes in pursuing targets. While hanging back, The Captain tries to see if there possibly noisy streams that run parallel to the hunting trails their targets travel.

If so, Galen suggests traveling near the streams to cover their noise and catch their targets unaware. Galen also constantly searches for new advantages in the terrain that might present themselves.


((OOC: War Roll: 3 Successes
21:51, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 2 successes using 8d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. War,take advantage of terrain,+1 Willpow.

I can also roll Per+War for looking for other terrain advantages, if Segev thinks it's appropriate.))

This message was last edited by the player at 11:17, Sat 01 Dec 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 460 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 03:32
Re: Chasing the Guildy
There is a brook flowing in roughly the right direction, it would make it easier to take them by surprise if it keeps going that way.

(OOC: 2-die stunt; go ahead and roll!)
Captain August Galen
 player, 134 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 11:09
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 9):

((OOC: Total 5 War successes
06:08, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 2 successes using 2d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. 2die War Stunt. ))


Galen offers the tactic to the other travelers.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:20, Sat 01 Dec 2012.

Merlin
 player, 298 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 16:18
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 10):

Merlin goes with the groups decision, acting as a scout and tracking to the best of his ability. Once he finds the pair, he will use his armors essence sight to take a look at them once again, attempting to see if they have anything essence charged that might make them harder to subdue.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 461 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 17:39
Re: Chasing the Guildy
While the others maneuver just down-stream (and Ned sleeps peacefully oblivious on Azalea's back), Merlin's stealth skills are aided by the wise tactical use of the stream's noise as well, due to Galen's expert analysis of where it would most help obscure his approach. The duo are camped out in a pair of sumptuous tents - colors distorted and surreal by Merlin's Essence-Sight enhanced vision - around a camp fire banked low under an overturned black iron wok to provide heat without much illumination.

Without his Essence Sight enabling him to see, he would likely have missed them entirely, situated as they are in a small depression no more than five feet deep but surrounded by bracken at just the right heights. Fortunately, that same surreal tone such vision gives everything made a set of near-invisible crystal chimes quite clear to him. They sway, but not in the wind. More like they're actively looking for something. Careful examination all around reveals a perimeter of such devices around the camp. The duo are not, themselves, visible, but their horses are sleeping, tied to stakes outside their tents.
Merlin
 player, 299 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 17:56
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 12):

Merlin makes his way around the camp to see if the two lay in ambush, but well outside the chimes effective area. Once his circuit has been completed he will return to the others and tell them the lay of the camp. He even suggests that initially he use a chakrum to cut a couple of the tie cords on a tent to make a fall. The chimes should not register, but it will rouse at least one of them so the group can observe their reactions and interactions. It will also make sure that those in the tents are their true targets.
Captain August Galen
 player, 135 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2012
at 18:19
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Merlin (msg # 13):

While Galen waits for Merlin's expert reconnaissance, the Privateer thinks about how insidious the two conspirators' goals are, and grows perturbed with how deep their devious little conspiracy might go.

When Merlin returns with his findings, Galen asks a question. "Would you want me to act as a distraction & bait? I am very good at it, and I'm hard to kill.

Either that, or we could wait for them to start packing up, observe them, and then ambush them just as they are mounting up. Do we have any drugs to incapacitate the horses?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:16, Sun 02 Dec 2012.

Azalea
 player, 61 posts
Sun 2 Dec 2012
at 12:39
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She ponders at the question.

"I am pretty sure I can make something that can put the horses to sleep safely if they eat it."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 297 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 2 Dec 2012
at 23:10
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix nods at the suggestion to subdue the horses. "I would wish to speak with them first, but it would do us well to have a captive audience, so to speak."
Captain August Galen
 player, 137 posts
Mon 3 Dec 2012
at 11:37
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 16):

"To be honest, I wouldn't trust anything they say if it is not confessed under thorough interrogation. These two scum are orchestrating the enslavement of free-men and the fall of countries with finesse & dedication and no moral regard. Their impressive camp defenses & precautions confirm they are very good at this, and are very serious.

At best, what they would openly admit to would be half-lies, and at worst, logic traps to lead us to ruin.

We must assume their words are absolute poison, and like a snake or spider, their venom must be milked carefully.

On that note, can anyone here compel truth, read minds, or have any other unique talents to aid interrogation?"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:38, Mon 03 Dec 2012.

Merlin
 player, 300 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 4 Dec 2012
at 02:08
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 17):

Merlin holds up an obsidian chakrum.

"I know some methods of blood letting that tend to get honest answers out of those that want to stop bleeding. I can also probably tell if they are lying based on their heart beat and general demeanor. Otherwise, no."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 298 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 4 Dec 2012
at 02:10
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"I will know when they are lying," says Beatrix, "And if they elect to do so, that will tell me much by itself. As for compelling truth, I have no such talent. But I can be very convincing when necessary."
Captain August Galen
 player, 138 posts
Tue 4 Dec 2012
at 10:52
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Merlin (msg # 18):

"Blood letting? Perhaps. The heart rate trick is quite impressive."

In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 19):

"You can tell when they lie? perfect." The brigand looks down at the noisy creek under them.

"We have several canteens, fabric, and I'm sure we can easily make an inclined board from all the wood around us. And there will be no evidence. We can easily get them to tell us everything. The trick now is catching them."

"Merlin, how do you feel about slipping the horses Azalea's drug?"

Azalea
 player, 62 posts
Tue 4 Dec 2012
at 19:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea doesn't seem all that comfortable about the implications of violent interrogation, so she opts to assume they're just discussing options and distracts herself with mixing herbs to make the sleeping concotion.
Merlin
 player, 301 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 5 Dec 2012
at 01:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 20):

Merlin doesn't seem to have any problem with this, but says, "I suppose I could find a way to drop whatever it is and a pile of hay for them to eat without setting off the alarms. We shall have to see about that however."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 299 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 5 Dec 2012
at 17:08
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix frowns. "I do not believe there will be any call for excess unpleasantness, Galen. With the option of fleeing on horseback removed, they will either speak with us, or they will fight us and then speak with us once they are defeated. I believe it will find it in their interest to simply speak with us; we should at least make it seem as such unless and until they become belligerent."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 462 posts
Wed 5 Dec 2012
at 17:24
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Indeed," agrees Deen, trying to sound menacing while suppressing a yawn, "If they do not cooperate, we'll simply bring them back to my father. His justice will be sufficient to get any information you want." The teenaged prince's excitement over the adventure keeps him energetic despite the bags under his eyes.

In a by-now familiar gesture, he covers the normal eye with his hand and stares about with the red one for a moment before blinking and refocusing on the party. "Salf just checked on us. Doesn't look like they've got any tricks set up, but it's getting hard to tell at this distance from the Tower."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:31, Wed 05 Dec 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 139 posts
Thu 6 Dec 2012
at 12:08
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Merlin (msg # 22):

"Excellent."

In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 23):

"Oh! Of course. Of course. Priorities, after all, and initial pleasantries must be a priority.

And as you said, it is good to have 'excess unpleasantness' on the negotiating table when they stop sharing information.

And I have a wonderful & effective method for mandatory truth emergence in the belligerent. It will not shed one drop of blood, nor leave any physical harm."


In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 24):

"Indeed, Lord Deen. The Privateer does a long bow with a green cape to show respect to the young noble. "If you would permit it, I would like to extend my services (free of cost) to act as a representative of your Father's justice. I am practiced, professional, & will do no lasting harm, leave not one scratch, to our valuable prisoners.

I have an eager desire to obtain all valuable information before we take them to your Father's jail, as I worry they may be harmed on the long trip back, either by self sacrifice or the many enemies that lurk out here. And out here, yourself & your brother can witness all knowledge they will reveal, and it will be complete.

Would such a precaution be agreeable to you & your house?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:11, Thu 06 Dec 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 463 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 03:35
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Deen looks up at the Captain, meeting the older man's eyes with his mismatched own. "That should be acceptable," he says seriously. "But Father will want them alive and coherent. Your skills had best be up to the task." The young man's tone is not threatening, simply matter-of-fact.
Captain August Galen
 player, 140 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 12:11
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The Captain gives a polite, content smile. "I thank you for your confidence, your Lordship. I think you will be pleased."

Galen turns to the other compatriots. “So how should we handle this? Should we drug the horses, and walk up to chat? Drug the horses, and  use a distraction & apprehend them? Or just drug the horses, and take them as a group?”

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 300 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 13 Dec 2012
at 03:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"I believe drugging the horses won't be necessary. Instead, Galen, if you will just be sure to position yourself between the horses and their masters, and see that neither reaches the other, I believe that should be entirely sufficient," says Beatrix, offering Galen the promise of things to punch.
"Shall we be about it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:47, Thu 13 Dec 2012.

Merlin
 player, 302 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 14 Dec 2012
at 03:57
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 28):

"Shall I stay in the shadows Lady, as insurance as it were," says the masked figure questioningly. He had been quiet so long that the others had almost forgotten that he was there. Then again, for those that knew him, that was a good thing for a Night Caste to be able to do.

"Should you think a demonstration is necessary, just snap your fingers or something melodramatic."
Captain August Galen
 player, 141 posts
Sat 15 Dec 2012
at 14:56
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 28):

"As you wish. I await your signal."

Galen will take any drugs Azalea might have ready, just in case.

Azalea
 player, 63 posts
Sun 16 Dec 2012
at 03:49
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She hands him a small pouch with small, soft, grassy spheres.

"No more than one per horse, please."
Captain August Galen
 player, 142 posts
Sun 16 Dec 2012
at 09:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Azalea (msg # 31):

"Indeed. Thank you." The brigand takes the drugs.

Galen waits for Merlin to leave to take a hidden position, then starts off, as subtly as possible, to take a position between the horses & the tents.


OOC: 6 Successes on Stealth Roll
06:48, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 5 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. StealthRollSneakUpToCamp, 1+Willpower.

Galen will use an Awareness Excellency if an Awareness Roll is required at any time.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:51, Sun 16 Dec 2012.

Captain August Galen
 player, 143 posts
Sun 16 Dec 2012
at 14:49
Re: Chasing the Guildy
OOC: If Galen's presence does not start an instant commotion, the two drugs are distributed evenly in the horses' hay.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 465 posts
Tue 18 Dec 2012
at 19:38
Re: Chasing the Guildy
As Galen creeps into the camp, it seems at first that nobody has noticed him. However, just as he begins his approach to the horses and truly crosses into the clearing, the crystal chimes set up all around the clearing rotate in an unfelt wind, almost as if looking at the good captain. And they begin to whip about as in a phantom gale, crashing and ringing what would normally be a gently beautiful sound into a glaring cacophony!

The horses' eyes widen and they stamp nervously, suddenly looking all about for the source of threat.
Captain August Galen
 player, 144 posts
Wed 19 Dec 2012
at 12:21
Re: Chasing the Guildy
If there is a place to hide between the horses and the tents, Galen does so. They can know a threat is nearby, but The Captain will encourage they're uncertainty by not allowing them to know where the threat is.

If they run to their mounts, the brigand will stand out to block them and expose them to the team.

If there are no places to hide, Galen comes briskly to the horses & claims their reins (but keep them tied to whatever post they were connected to). Galen will try to pacify them with a treat, being the herbal drugs.

The Privateer's prey will have to confront the brigand to claim their best escape option. If they run on foot, Galen is very secure that Merlin & the others will be more then able to subdue them.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:24, Wed 19 Dec 2012.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 301 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 21 Dec 2012
at 01:39
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix nods to Galen as he heads off, and then begins to count off two minutes in her head to make sure Galen and Merlin have plenty of time to prepare. However, when the noise begins much earlier than expected, she instead sets out immediately, Azalea and Alistr in tow (hopefully).

This message was last edited by the player at 02:55, Fri 21 Dec 2012.

Merlin
 player, 303 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 21 Dec 2012
at 03:22
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Meanwhile, the masked man has taken up his pre-scouted position where he can cover his compatriots. The branch of a certain tree finds itself his perch. It all brings back memories of another time, not so distant, where he perched the trees and slew barbarians on the trail to negotiate with the Fae. That was another time and he cleared his head of memory and concentrated on his surroundings. As the alarms go off his senses broaden to feel the very air itself.


OOC: Activating Air Dragon Senses. 3m
Alistr Hamrsoung
 player, 100 posts
 Full Time No Moon Lunar
 Part time Smith
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 12:48
Re: Chasing the Guildy
  Having been quiet  and letting the others plan. Alistr knew the risks of the mission so far. As the alarm system goes off he does the one thing that makes sense he charges the perimeter hoping to get their attention. Hammer out and leading the way for him he tries to find a target.

Activating Keen Sight Technique 3m Peripherial.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:54, Mon 24 Dec 2012.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 468 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2013
at 18:01
Re: Chasing the Guildy
A pair of arrows come whizzing out of one of the tents, piercing its fine furs and canvas as if it were mere gossamer. As they fly towards August Galen, a large man in elegant pants (but no shirt) stomps unceremoniously out of the other tent. "Who goes there!?" he demands, leveling a heavy broadsword in the direction of the crashing noise of Alistr's charge.

((OOC: 6 and 5 successes on the two arrow attacks at Galen.

My apologies for being so nonresponsive the last couple of weeks; I've been not on my machine very much due to visiting parents. I should be more attentive come the 7th, when I'm back on my regular schedule. I will strive to do better this week than last, as well, but I can't be positive.))

Captain August Galen
 player, 148 posts
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 19:25
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 39):

The skill & power behind the shot arrows impress the brigand.

The Captain now knows it will be tricky to get the attacker to come to Galen.

Galen's will play the overwhelmed, and annoyingly lucky, buffoon. August, wearing a frightened face at the arrow onslaught, deliberately slips in the horse manure and tries to tumble behind one of the horses for some moderate cover.

A shower of manure clods are kicked in the direction of the first arrow to help deflect it.

OOC: Galen is trying to stunt dodging the first arrow by comically prat-falling in a seemingly random direction and obscuring the shot with the kicked up horse waste.

When dodging both attacks, Galen uses Shadow Over Water to negate DDV penalties from taking an action for cover & Onslaught Penalties.

I can make a Performance Roll to back up the bluff of being overwhelmed and incompetent if the ST would like one.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 470 posts
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 00:21
Re: Chasing the Guildy
((OOC: Two-die stunt on both dodges.))
Captain August Galen
 player, 150 posts
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 16:28
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 41):

((OOC:))

This message was lightly edited by the player at 16:29, Fri 04 Jan 2013.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 471 posts
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 16:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
((OOC: Can't spend wp on stunts; you spend it on the actions associated. I don't think you can spend them on DVs, but I could be wrong. Regardless, looking at the order, it looks like you got the success on the first one, and spent the wp on the second?))

The arrows whip through the space a standing man might have occupied, but don't even knock the gallant hat off of the captain's head before the fall into the mud does that for him.

As Galen was standing amidst the horses, however, one does strike an equine shoulder, causing he horse to rear and whinny in panic. While that one stumbles forward on a leg whose trauma prevents it from galloping, the other yanks at its tether and snaps it, galloping straight ahead in a frenzied flight.
Merlin
 player, 305 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 16:47
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 43):

Meanwhile, in the trees, there is a shadow watching. The other arrow, that missed high over the horse flows past the shadow some half dozen yards away. Within the shadows essence is manipulated and a chackrum slips into fingers that few could ever see.



(OOC: Merlin activates Air Dragon Form, and gets ready to use a chackrum to parry the next arrow out of the tent.)
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 302 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 22:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"I go here," says Beatrix calmly but clearly.
Azalea
 player, 64 posts
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 00:03
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea looks at Beatrix, not without some puzzlement in her expression at drawing the attention of the guard, but she doesn't do anything in particular for the time being.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 472 posts
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 03:58
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Clearly startled by the clear and calm declaration from a direction slightly off from the onrushing crashing sounds, the muscular man turns and holds his sword level towards Beatrix. The two dozen or more feet between them minimizes the immediacy of the obvious threat. "What is your business, and why is your man accosting my horses?" he demands, momentarily distracted from Alistr's charge by virtue of the man not being quite clearly visible compared to the two women who've drawn attention to themselves.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 303 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 02:18
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix sniffs her nose derisively. "'My man', as you call him, is an unusually aggressive practitioner of veterinary medicine. His methods are strange, but you cannot argue with the results; he has achieved many extraordinary feats of animal husbandry."
"As for your former question, I am Beatrix LeSchaye, of the Council of Trademeet. I believe that your charge will know from this that I am likely quite cross with her, and that I wish to have words."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 473 posts
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 06:00
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Trademeet?" responds the half-naked man in surprise. "Trademeet Dale? What brings a councilor--?"

"Did she say 'Beatrix?'" interrupts a female voice from within the tent. A pretty woman with luxurious blond hair, wearing a finely-embroidered silk nightdress and carrying a small powerbow made of red jade and ruby "A bunch of foolhardy mortals chasing us would be one thing, but Trademeet would dispatch their irritating Exalt. Why, I do not know, but if she's 'cross' with me, I suppose I should find out why, at least."

The man bows and steps aside, and the woman looks to Galen. "And if you're as good as she claims, do something about my horse before it gets too far. Then tend the arrow wound. You shouldn't have dodged; now poor Lancer is hurt.

"I am Matield al Ystara, Guild Matron,"
she says primly to Beatrix. "By what right dare you claim umbrage with me?"
Azalea
 player, 65 posts
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 07:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea remains bewildered while the conversation takes place, until the woman brings the wound to her attention.

As she decides she has little to offer to the conversation, other than keeping an ear to it, she heads towards the wounded horse, taking a small pouch from her belt.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 474 posts
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 14:04
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned stirs, probably having been woken by the commotion and only just now getting bold enough to speak. He whispers to Azalea, "What's going on? he asks, adjusting his large bowl-shaped hat to cover his head properly; it had been knocked off while he dozed. "Can I help?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 151 posts
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 15:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Segev Stormlord:
"A bunch of foolhardy mortals chasing us would be one thing...


Segev Stormlord:
You shouldn't have dodged; now poor Lancer is hurt.


Galen sits up and stares at the women for a moment, expressionless. It would be better to keep playing the fool & help Azalea heal the poor animal.

Poor Beatrix somehow bought all of Galen's hype. The fool was poor at medicine, but decent at riding. Pitiful at sword play & shooting, but practiced at fisticuffs. Good at breaking locks & picking pockets, but poor at sneaking. The Galen of today was not half the brigand of the previous ones. More of a lucky thug then a swashbuckler.

"Only a Guild cow like you could value the life of a beast over a human being.

I'll let your beast bleed to death, you horrible bi*%#."


Galen's eyes go big for a moment. The words just flowed out, despite knowing it wasn't wise to show much volition, nor did the thug wish ill to the beast. The person who wore Galen's face realized just how little control was held on old emotions. Hands, buried in horse shit, shook in unexpected rage. Sharp, hidden nails bit into palms, and started to bleed.

The fool was both scared of how intense the sudden anger was growing, and nervous of how good it felt.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:55, Tue 08 Jan 2013.

Azalea
 player, 66 posts
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 05:11
Re: Chasing the Guildy
As Azalea applies the salve to the wounded horse and pets it, attempting to calm it down with a smile and soft words, she looks at Ned.

"I... don't think so? I wish no one gets hurt, but there is not much I can do about it, so I usually busy myself with alleviating the effects of that inevitability. I treat the wounded. I wish I could do something to prevent injuries instead, though."

Noticing that the other horse is still running and Galen isn't going after it, she looks at him with worry, scanning him -by habit- for debilitating injuries.
She seems relieved to find none but a few scratches on his hands, but realizes the potential of infection, especially if he uses those hands to control the other horse.

She approaches him while rubbing some of her salve between her palms, then catches his hands and holds them for a moment as she looks at him.

"I don't think I can run fast enough to catch the other horse. Please stop it before it hurts itself or someone else?"

When she removes her hands, both her own and Galen's are clean - his have stopped bleeding too.

"...and please don't say such things."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 475 posts
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 14:52
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Captain August Galen:
Segev Stormlord:
"A bunch of foolhardy mortals chasing us would be one thing...


Segev Stormlord:
You shouldn't have dodged; now poor Lancer is hurt.


"Only a Guild cow like you could value the life of a beast over a human being.

I'll let your beast bleed to death, you horrible bi*%#."

"Your beast," says Matield to Beatrix, gracing Galen with barely even a wrinkled nose of disgust, "Seems remarkably ill-bred. Still, I suppose if he can be set to coralling my horse before it gets too far, I will forgive him his trespass, for your sake and the sake of harmony between us.

"To what do I owe the...unexpected...honor of your visit?"

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 476 posts
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 16:24
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Azalea:
As Azalea applies the salve to the wounded horse and pets it, attempting to calm it down with a smile and soft words, she looks at Ned.

"I... don't think so? I wish no one gets hurt, but there is not much I can do about it, so I usually busy myself with alleviating the effects of that inevitability. I treat the wounded. I wish I could do something to prevent injuries instead, though."

Noticing that the other horse is still running and Galen isn't going after it, she looks at him with worry, scanning him -by habit- for debilitating injuries.
She seems relieved to find none but a few scratches on his hands, but realizes the potential of infection, especially if he uses those hands to control the other horse.

She approaches him while rubbing some of her salve between her palms, then catches his hands and holds them for a moment as she looks at him.
While Azalea is busy tending to Galen, Ned decides to try to help calm the injured horse that's still there. He gets in front of it, looking very small, and talks firmly but gently to it, soothing it while he gets closer.

Azalea:
"I don't think I can run fast enough to catch the other horse. Please stop it before it hurts itself or someone else?"
Ned, for his part, grimaces at Azalea's request. He hopes this Galen person can catch the horse; he's got too short a stride. "There, there," he soothes the one with the arrow in its shoulder, drawing nearer. "Let me get that out for you, and then Miss Azalea will help keep it from getting infected..."
Captain August Galen
 player, 152 posts
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 12:41
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Azalea:
"I don't think I can run fast enough to catch the other horse. Please stop it before it hurts itself or someone else?"

When she removes her hands, both her own and Galen's are clean - his have stopped bleeding too.

"...and please don't say such things."


((OOC: ))

Glen stares blankly at Azalea.


In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 54):

Galen laughs deeply at the Guild stupid women's comments, but never looks at her. "You are right, Ms. Azalea. I am being awfully silly. Oh well. Back to business. My apologies, Lady Beatrix, for my sudden bout of lack of professionalism!"

The Captain stands up, dusts off the best one can, takes the reins of the horse Azalea calmed, and slowly rides over to the other horse Ned is distracting. Hopefully the presence of the familiar horse will not spook the other, but if it did run, Galen can easily keep up with this animal.

And Galen will still be keeping both horses from the Guild members. The fools were only helping Galen's friends keep them corralled & distracted.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:43, Fri 11 Jan 2013.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 304 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 05:06
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix managed, through an intense application of willpower, to not facepalm. She had lied so that Galen would have an excuse to get him out of his predicament; he had apparently taken some time to realize this. Upon his apology, however, she simply says "Of course, Galen. In the future, however, please do remember that talk we had about manners."

"As for you," she says, turning back to the Guild woman once Galen's out of earshot, "You are with the Guild, yes? That's what I've heard, and the symbol on your tack would seem to back it up. I'm cross because you've obviously gone over my head, and I'm not getting my cut, see?" She walks towards her, eventually putting her arm on her shoulder. "I'm disappointed, really. I would hope that you, being so high up in the Guild, would know about the importance of going through proper channels. Do you know I had to track you down through rumors and spy reports? That's just. Not. Right."


(( OOC: Bea is obviously not acting like herself, and for those who know her as the party does, is clearly up to something. ))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 477 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 05:29
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 57):

As the pointy-eared woman puts her arm over Matield's shoulders, the twenty-something gives Beatrix's garb an unsubtle examination, as if her wardrobe were some sort of test she would have to pass. Since the nightgown-clad woman permits the arm about her shoulders, Beatrix may have passed muster. Or maybe Matield is just suffering for the sake of business.

"No-one contacted you?" she asks in politely feigned confusion. "My sincerest apologies. Perhaps they thought, as the exalted head of your village, you would share certain parochial ideals that get in the way of true business.

"I assure you, my step-father and Trademeet's City Father have arranged this agreement. What might your 'cut' of this be? Have you taken it up with your city's god? I'm sure, if you wish to invest in our endeavor, something can be arranged for one of your...acumen."

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 305 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 05:56
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow. "As a mater of fact, my city's god just threw a week-long festival in my honor."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 478 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 06:04
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 59):

Matield's laughter is musical in the manner of perfectly-tuned rapiers dancing across each others' blades in a choreographed duel. "Oh, ho, oh, my dear Lady LeSchaye! You don't mean to say you believe that lay-about Maharishi of Excellence is the god of Trademeet Dale, do you?" she asks, slightly less incredulously than she sounds. "My, my, Calm Dasher is right to be concerned if this mooch has not only thrown centuries of generosity from my mother away for this disgraceful galavanting, but has fooled even one so well-placed as you into believing the Maharishi is the rightful holder of Calm Dasher's title.

"I'm glad Mother asked me to help with Step-Father's business here; this bit of gossip alone will be enough to ensure an end is put to that embarrassing farce."

Captain August Galen
 player, 153 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 15:29
Re: Chasing the Guildy
((OOC: Is Calm Dasher a name Galen [or any of us] would recognize?))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 479 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 20:59
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 61):

((OOC: You can give me an Intelligence+Occult roll to see if you know anything about that name, sure.))
Captain August Galen
 player, 154 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 23:56
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 62):

((OOC: 18:54, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 3 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7.

ROLL, everybody! Roll like your lives depend on it!!1!))

This message was last edited by the player at 23:56, Tue 15 Jan 2013.

Captain August Galen
 player, 155 posts
Thu 17 Jan 2013
at 12:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 63):

Unable to know who this being is, Galen grows nervous about the depths this conspiracy might contain. The brigand makes a mental note to learn more and overcome this shameful level of ignorance.

EDIT:

Though the recognition of what Matield al Ystara's name might mean explains some of where this might be going. A clue or a red-haring would have to be discovered latter, when Galen could confer with the other party members whom probably knew much more about the politics of the gods.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:07, Thu 17 Jan 2013.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 306 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 22 Jan 2013
at 01:34
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Well," says Beatrix. "I did say that I was out of the loop. Perhaps you ought to fill your new accomplice in, so that we may achieve the greatest amount of mutual benefit?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 480 posts
Tue 22 Jan 2013
at 03:59
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"'Accomplice?'" exclaims the woman almost breathlessly, "You make it sound so clandestine. Of course," she allows, "There may be some provincial laws that get in the way of good business, so a little caution is not remiss. It's nothing unseemly, I assure you. My step-father and Calm Dasher have worked it out, and Trademeet Dale will really step onto the stage as a hub in the slave trade: the gateway to Falan.

"It'll put Trademeet on the map, and if you want in on the ground floor, I suppose it's only fitting that an Exalt would get into business. It's a pretty simple formula when you understand how supply flows to demand: The Guild buys slaves from the Beastmen, which increases demand for them. Trademeet facilitates the sale of slaves to Falan to bolster their somewhat depleted workforce. Everyone gets shuffled out of the backwater who was going to be stuck there, and those whose destiny was drudgery instead get fresh clean farm living, while the great circle of commerce enriches all. It is, as I believe your hometown puts it, such good business."


She gestures to her traveling companion, who is still eyeing the large man with the hammer and the apparently prematurely-senile "veterinarian" who wrangled the horse that went running. He, however, shakes his head. "M'ladies, this is talk best done by daylight in such private confines as this. Might I suggest you pitch your camp with ours rather than keep us all up any longer?" he says with a somewhat overly-elaborate yawn that - purely by happenstance - flexes each muscle in his torso in turn.
Captain August Galen
 player, 156 posts
Tue 22 Jan 2013
at 14:05
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 66):

Galen, still ridding the healthy horse, grabs the reigns of the distracted & wounded horse, then takes it back to Azalea to tend to. One Azalea has the animal secure, Galen makes sure the horse being ridden on is facing the two Guild members, ready to charge them when needed.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Tue 22 Jan 2013.

Azalea
 player, 67 posts
Tue 22 Jan 2013
at 18:17
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea smiles at Galen when he returns and makes sure everyone involved in this very puzzling interaction is unharmed, including the horses. After she thanks Ned for his help she looks on towards the conversation between Beatrix and the woman.
Merlin
 player, 306 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 01:49
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Azalea (msg # 68):

Meanwhile, in the trees, crouches the ever watchful Merlin. He is wary and is sure to use his armor's ability to see essence flows to its fullest advantage. Regardless his esteem of the Lady Leschaye has increased yet again. Her ploy is flawless in its execution, yet so simple. A grin appears beneath the mask as 16 muscles move while every other one might as well be stone.
Captain August Galen
 player, 157 posts
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 10:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Galen mauls over the Guild woman's little plot, and ponders the banal shortsightedness of these conspirators. One part, in particular, jumps out as curious.

The brigand coughs.

"Excuse me, ladies, for speaking out O' turn, but if either of you dies, I'm probably not going to get paid, so you'all just have to get over it.

See, I'm hearing the Beastmen are a bit of a linchpin to all this, but their Anathema-patriarch  wants us all dead, as far as I can see it.

So how do you plan to make it that his desire to stop your vitals doesn't occur?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:54, Wed 23 Jan 2013.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 481 posts
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 13:47
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Captain August Galen (msg # 70):

"Their so-called 'Patriarch' is a threat, but is more than a month away. Even if he did bestir himself, no doubt an alliance supported by Guild weapon sales would form around poor Falan. The Seventh Legion is probably just looking for such an excuse to put the rabid creature down," scoffs the man.

Smiling in mild but rueful irritation at at least one of the men speaking out of turn, Matield adds, "He's more likely to simply destroy his own animals, and there is always another tribe willing to make a few dinars. And if Jerolt's unlikely scenario came about, happily, Trademeet Dale will be partnered with the Guild to provide weapons to all members of the alliance. Good business all around."

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:35, Wed 23 Jan 2013.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 307 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 18:40
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Well, that's good to know," Beatrix lies, managing to keep her face from betraying her worry. Great, so not only is there a conspiracy to force the slave trade on Trademeet, but it's run by dangerous fools. "It is assuring to know that such matters are well in hand. But, of course, I must hear the details before investing in the project, as you well know."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 482 posts
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 23:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Salf growls under his breath as he hears the Guild woman speak so callously of Falan's plight, and Alistr and Merlin can see him moving forward with intent, though he's not out of the brush just yet.

Matield, meanwhile, offers a sunny smile that seems to brighten the midnight glade. "The details can wait for morning," she says with a theatrical yawn. "Unless you've specific questions other than logistics and financial entanglements to work out?"
Merlin
 player, 307 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 01:40
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 73):

Without hesitation a dulled chakrum is slung directly into the gut of the young Salf. It is aimed just so that it will neither be detected in flight nor make more than the slightest noise once it has bounced off into the brush. Merlin, of course, leaves nothing to chance and insures that the victim will be saying nothing for the next few moments by using Breath Seizing Technique.


OOC:
Split Action to be Stealthy while throwing and to make a Martial Arts Attack against Salf. Then the Breath Seizing Technique roll.

19:35, Today: Merlin rolled 7 successes using 18d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Stealth Roll: First Action of Flurry.
19:36, Today: Merlin rolled 3 successes using 14d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Strike Roll.
--Good thing its from surprise or he could likely dodge with a pathetic roll like that on 14 dice!
19:37, Today: Merlin rolled 8 successes using 12d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Str+MA+Ess.

Should Salf have a Stamina of less than a 4 he will be going unconscious about now. With a 4 he will have a -4 internal penalty to his actions as he fights for air. (its a Diff=Target Stamina roll with extra's going to an Internal penalty).

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 483 posts
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 18:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Merlin (msg # 74):

The young prince goes out like a light, without a sound. If either of the Guild-associated individuals noticed, they give no indication.
Captain August Galen
 player, 158 posts
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 16:22
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Galen quietly inquires of Azalea "can you cook?"
Azalea
 player, 68 posts
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 18:05
Re: Chasing the Guildy


She nods a little and smiles.

"I think I'm good at it, but I'll let you be the judge of that when I make something."
Captain August Galen
 player, 159 posts
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 18:22
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Azalea:
She nods a little and smiles.

"I think I'm good at it, but I'll let you be the judge of that when I make something."


"Can you make something special for these Guild pigs? Like what you made earlier?"
Azalea
 player, 69 posts
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 18:57
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She ponders a little, not without a glance to Beatrix, then nods.


"I could cook, certainly, if there are ingredients. I have some spices, but I would need something more to cook for everyone."


Then looks at Beatrix again, wondering about her opinion on this request.
Captain August Galen
 player, 160 posts
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 21:11
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Azalea (msg # 79):

A fiendish grin spreads across Galen's hidden mouth, then fades away. This could work out beautifully, after all. They'd just have to take one for the team.

"Excellent, Azalea. I believe we have some of the previous meat from our little hunter on one of the horses, along with the provisions we set out with. It should make a wonderful stew," whispers Galen to Azalea.

Galen turns to the women. "Boss. You want us to do what they say and pitch our tent to theirs?"

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 308 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 03:32
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Why," says Bea, suddenly brightening, "Food would be a marvelous idea! Especially since we have ever so much to discuss; some food to discuss it over and perhaps some tea or coffee - Sevastian has tea if necessary - would help us to stay awake and discuss it!"
"And indeed, isn't it a lovely night to discuss matters over the campfire? I can recall many a night of excellent deals under the waxing moon and the stars, trading tales as much as commerce." She carries on like this for some time, spinning a fanciful discussion of past wheeling and dealing, and somehow her apparent enthusiasm seems infectious.
Captain August Galen
 player, 161 posts
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 14:16
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 81):

Galen immediately take advantage of Beatrix' distractions.

"Alright then! Alright then! Off with you, cookie!" The brigand bellows at Azalea. "Get the man-servant! Get our four horses! Get the food! The three of us will set up camp while the Boss discuses the business. Common now! The faster you get back with it all, the faster we sleep!" Galen gives a halfhearted kick to Azalea's butt, missing narrowly.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 484 posts
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 15:37
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The morning is waxing into its darkest hours by the time everyone is seated around the camp fire, a post-midnight meal placed before them, and the conversation winds its way towards the details of which Beatrix and Matield spoke. Matield herself seems almost surprised to find herself here now, as if she wondered when this happened. Her rather handsome bodyguard, on the other hand, is cheerfully helping Azalea set things out and has found himself a shirt in the interim.

"Even the most expensive of trail rations tend to get bland after days of nothing else," he comments, "so hunting to supplement them is always a pleasure. I'm unfamiliar with the recipe you're using, though; could you give me some pointers?" he asks of Azalea.

Meanwhile, Salf and Ned have curled up and fallen into natural sleep, the young prince not quite having ever woken from being stunned by Merlin earlier. Sevastian comments off-handedly that he wishes Hun and Po had come along, but only within earshot of Galen as he would not be caught griping before his (temporary) employer nor strangers.

Matield, for her part, stifles a yawn. "So, of course, the profit margins are high all around," she concludes a long explanation of how the cycle of slave trade - buying from Beastmen to sell elsewhere and selling to Falan from further afield - will work to Trademeet Dale's advantage. "Rumor has it you've had some interaction with the Fae on the edge of Creation? Do you have ongoing business contacts?" she asks in a seeming shift of topic, glancing pointedly but not impolitely at Beatrix's ears.
Azalea
 player, 70 posts
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 17:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea seems happy to cook, and equally happy to explain her recipe, including some of the herbs and spices she adds for taste, or for the sauce to get its texture.
The suggested stew was an idea, but she has much better ones for fresh game.

The smell of caramelized onions, fresh tomato pulp and slowly roasting meat seems to spread soon enough.

She makes sure to taste what she is making at some point, including a spice she won't be adding. The 'antidote' that will prevent herself from sleeping. It will be easy enough to give to her companions, either directly to their plates if chance provides itself, or after everyone is asleep.
Captain August Galen
 player, 162 posts
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 17:59
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Galen's demeanor is of the gruff overseer, looking around and pretending to be important, while doing little work.

On the inside, Galen was very happy with Azalea's performance, and that Merlin still remained in the shadows. The brigand didn't intend for so many of party to come for the drugged meal, but it was still working out quite well, knock on wood.

Galen, unaware of the antidote, was content in the theory that the stealthy Merlin could easily overwhelm the Guild members once everyone passed out from the food.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 309 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 18:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Oh, the Raksha? I have no formal business contacts with them - it is rather impossible, really, since the notion of formality is alien to them. The real trick with knowing how to deal with them is to be aware of narrative conventions, rather than business models. You see, they don't think the same way we do, because they're not from--"
And she goes on like this for some time, leading the Guild woman on and on with fascinating tales of adventure and delightful tidbits of gossip, hoping that the wondrous sleeping potion will kick in soon.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 485 posts
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 19:24
Re: Chasing the Guildy
As the meal is served, those who wish to, dig in. The as-yet unnamed companion to Matield compliments the cooking both verbally and by having an extra helping or two. Matield, herself, takes only what she's offered, and eats slowly and daintily. It's almost frustrating, wondering if she'll eat enough for the potion to kick in.

Ned sleeps through the food, though his goats do not. Whether Azalea gave them the antidote or not, they seem to have decided to sleep off the meal afterwards.

The two Guild members are sound asleep about an hour later, leaving Azalea and her companions she slipped the antidote as the only ones awake.
Azalea
 player, 71 posts
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 19:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Considering this a wonderful alternative to bloodshed, she seems quite pleased with the result as she wakes the rest of her companions up.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 310 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 22:38
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix gives a small, exasperated sound of some sort. "Hnnngh. Thank the almighty Sun she's asleep at last," she says. "But, tedious as the conversation was - and I apologize for subjecting you all to that - I believe I now have enough information to begin taking this slave ring apart entirely, and once that is done, informing the Beastmen that their gravy train is at an end ought to end the raids. The buyers and sellers, the places where the trades are made, and so on - this is all good information. Some of it is far-ranging. I'm sorry to learn that one of the foremen at a mining operation I run has gotten in on this sometime after I hired him."
"Also, Azalea? The cooking was sublime. You simply must make this again sometime. Without the sleeping potion, you know." She smiles a bit at that.
"Now we just need to figure out what to do with these two - as the child of a god, there's no telling how this woman may escape a conventional jail, but as long as she's free in the area she'll be able to repair any damage we do to the slave ring. I fear I am at a loss as to how to accomplish this. Perhaps you have an idea, Merlin, Galen?" She turns to regard the quirky Captain and the mysterious mage.
Azalea
 player, 72 posts
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 23:31
Re: Chasing the Guildy

"I am glad you liked it, but in a proper kitchen, with ingredients that aren't salvaged from trail rations and hasty pickings, I think I can do better."

She smiles, and checks on Ned and the goats. She doesn't wake them, just making sure everything is fine. Then she checks the drugged people, again to make sure there are no complications.

Off-handedly, she remarks "If she's god-blooded, we could ask a relevant god to make sure she stays in jail, assuming the authorities conclude such punishment?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 486 posts
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 00:45
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Freverick, Ned, and the goats are snuggled up in an adorable little ball of mutual body heat. No complications amongst any of the sleepers.
Merlin
 player, 308 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 01:19
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Once 'they' are officially asleep Merlin will enter the camp. He will eat some rations and drink some water. When the Lady asks for his opinion he draws a line across his throat with his finger....

"But on second thought, perhaps they should be traded to the Fae? A more fitting punishment I could not imagine and they will both provide them with more amusement than any mortal, perhaps saving a few from others who do trade mortals to them."
Azalea
 player, 73 posts
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 04:12
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She looks towards Merlin at his suggestion, her expression one of uncertainty.


"I... uh... you are jesting, right? I mean, I am not certain about a lot of the details, but your suggestions are to either kill them in cold blood or to stoop down to their level?"

She ponders for a second.

"Come to think of it, even if you are jesting, I find that kind of humor unpleasant."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 311 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 04:47
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Aside from concerns regarding how honorable or ethical it is to kill a helpless opponent, there is one very significant point against killing Matield; her mother is Ystara, a powerful and influential goddess in Heaven, and from the sound of things they are on very good terms. I would rather not give such a goddess reason to have a personal vendetta against us. I would much sooner simply disrupt this plan, which would make us, at the most, an inconvenience to her."
Merlin
 player, 309 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 06:50
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 94):

"It is for your sound judgement and wisdom and my ruthless pragmatism for which our paths have been interwoven. Blended together there is little that can withstand the Unconquered Sun's blessings. As His blessings become bountiful and others of our kind or added to ourselves then truly there will be nothing that can stand between us and the Unconquered Sun's glory.

Perhaps we should take them to Falan to let them be tried. Our part in justice will be that of constable, which can hardly be faulted by Heaven.
"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 312 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 16:43
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"True enough. Once we explain to the Duke that the slavers are actually responsible for whetting the appetites of the beastman tribes to raid his lands, I believe he'll be quite eager to see justice done. Just to be sure, however, we should consult the Duke's son once he comes to in the morning. He will no doubt have a firmer understanding of how his father may react."
Captain August Galen
 player, 163 posts
Wed 6 Feb 2013
at 16:41
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Galen laughs at Azalea's criticism of her own food. "Ha! The mark of a true chief is never being happy with their food.

I am very, very pleased with how all of this has come together. It's quite refreshing to have decent rouges to work with."


Galen quietly listens to Merlin's suggestion and the reactions of the others.

"I'm not going to lie. I have a great deal of sympathy with Merlin's suggestions.

I would like to bind her as a slave for penance, and to teach her in this life how horrid the institution of human bondage is. But you've both noted good concerns. We should definitely confer with the Duke's son, and use the legal system of Falan to our advantage. It will be better for everyone in the long term, and the justice will be much more firm.

I have one way to keep the demi-god under control, but it is risky. If we can force an oath from her, I can sanctify it under heaven. As far as I know, no power can delay the wrath of a broken oath, not even her mother.

The danger comes from what magic she might bring to bear before the oath to escape. If we can break her will, and/or keep her semi-drugged, this might be more manageable.

I would also appreciate counsel on what the oath should be, specifically."

Azalea
 player, 74 posts
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 19:15
Re: Chasing the Guildy


"Decent rogues?" She ponders on that, but at length she shrugs a little and doesn't comment on it.

She listens on to Galen and considers his suggestions.


"I am not certain on how those oaths work, but I have the feeling they are as much of a certainty as we can get. It would be good to have a means to keep our minds at ease that they will be brought to justice without incident."

She assumes a small, puzzled frown for a few moments.

"What do you think she will try to escape?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 313 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 12 Feb 2013
at 02:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"I have heard tales of such things," says Beatrix, her long ears perking a bit. "And I am heartened to hear you can effect such a thing. If we can produce a sufficiently binding oath, we will have no more trouble from her."
Sevastian
 player, 128 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 16:00
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The Dragonblooded butler, who did not even partake of the meal as it would have been improper to eat with the nobility, cleans up the dishes and gently lays out the sleeping individuals. "Of subtle things are great coincidences made," he says, mostly to himself.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 493 posts
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 15:35
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The sounds of the forest echo in the night. Chirping crickets, the occasional frog's croak, owls' hooting, wind through the leaves. Even the crackle of the fire seems loud in the silence drawn out between the group.

((OOC: Perception+Awareness, please!))
Merlin
 player, 311 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 23:58
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Merlin has stayed vigilant, even as their original prey lay near comatose in their drug induced stupor. Scanning the forest with a well practiced eye and a trained ear he misses little. If the others didn't know where he was sitting, he would go completely unnoticed due to the passive magics clinging to him.


17:56, Today: Merlin rolled 7 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+awareness+Essence Sight.
Azalea
 player, 77 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 03:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"So....... what do we do now?"


05:42, Today: Azalea failed (no successes) using 1d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Awareness.

Edit: Misrolled :/

20:26, Today: Azalea rolled 2 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Awareness.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:27, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 314 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 15:29
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"We should probably tie them up. Is anyone good with knots? And then I will need... Sevastian, could you get some of the parchment I brought, and one of the pencils? Thank you. I will need to draft an appropriate oath for them to swear to keep them out of our hair. They will need some proper incentive to do so, of course, but I think that if they are helpless before us, that ought to be be simple enough."

09:28, Today: Beatrix LeSchaye rolled 6 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. per+awareness.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:34, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Captain August Galen
 player, 166 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2013
at 03:56
Re: Chasing the Guildy
((OOC:
))


In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 104):

"The river will make them very compliant." Galen pats a small pouch attached at the brigand's belt. 
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 498 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2013
at 04:25
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned comes into the firelight, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "Why's everybody up? Is it morning already?" he asks.
Azalea
 player, 80 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2013
at 05:11
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She smiles.

"No, not really. Not for a while yet. Why are you up?"
Merlin
 player, 312 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 23 Feb 2013
at 06:12
Re: Chasing the Guildy
What ever the noises may be Merlin doesn't seem distracted by them. He catches LeSchaye's attention. He is now crouching where Matield can't directly see him so he points at her and cups his hand like her's and points at it. Then he uses his left hand to 'slit his throat' as if to ask, 'do I kill her now'? Meanwhile, his right hand has a chakrum for each finger sliding them out of his bandoleer.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 499 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 13:29
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Azalea:
She smiles.

"No, not really. Not for a while yet. Why are you up?"

"Needed to go to the bathroom, an' then I saw everyone else up," says the boy, looking around. "What's going on?"
Azalea
 player, 81 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 14:28
Re: Chasing the Guildy

"If I understand correctly, we are trying to figure out how to handle some less-than-virtuous people so that they won't be bothering innocents with their schemes again.

...ideally without inflicting on them what we wouldn't want inflicted on others."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 500 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 16:34
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The boy blinks, waking up more fully as his eyes adjust to the light from the fire. "What were they doing that was so bad? Isn't punishment all about doing things to people you don't want to have to happen to you, so they don't do bad things anymore? What don't you want to do to them?" he asks, his questions pitched in a tone that would normally accompany racing and rapid-fire childish curiosity, but is still slowed to a temperate pace by the fog of night's last clutches on his steadily-waking mind.
Azalea
 player, 82 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 22:50
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She ponders a few moments.

"Perhaps I should rephrase. It is not up to me, but ideally punishment for some injustice should be aimed to help those involved understand why what they did was wrong and how they would avoid repeating the offense in the future, and not used as a means of preventative measure through fear or, worse, a tool of vengeance.

Much like how a mother scolds her child when it misbehaves. Many people make mistakes. I believe they should be forgiven if they are not forgotten, and appropriate punishment -although I personally dislike physical punishment-, along with perhaps some tutelage, helps the lessons taught of such mistakes stick.

Finding the appropriate punishment is the tricky part. That's why there are courts and judges and all those things."

She smiles a little.

"Does that make sense?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 501 posts
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 03:06
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"But what about bad people who don't care it's wrong?" he asks. "Isn't punishment meant to scare them into not being bad?

"I mean, that's all that keeps some kids from stealing apples, 'cause it wouldn't hurt the apple cart guy to lose one or two."

After a moment or two, a thought tumbles through his head. "Not that I'd steal! 'cause stealing's bad and I do care about things being right or wrong. Um, so, what'd these bad people do?" he asks, trying to change the subject.
Azalea
 player, 83 posts
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 03:35
Re: Chasing the Guildy

"Oh, very few bad people are bad because they like being bad. And those are usually wounded in some way. Those, we can try healing. The rest have a reason to steal. Why would someone steal an apple if they could pick one up from their own tree?

It's difficult to fix everything that's wrong in the world, but fixing the circumstances that lead to bad things happening not only fixes those bad things, but prevents them from happening again, see?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 502 posts
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 04:31
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned frowns, nodding thoughtfully. "So, what kind of bad guys are these? What'd they do? How will you keep them from doing it again?"
Azalea
 player, 84 posts
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 17:36
Re: Chasing the Guildy

"That is a good question..."

She looks at Beatrix and Galen.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 319 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 04:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix scowls a little. "They are inciting war between the beastman tribes and Falan in order to sell more slaves in the area. Slavery is bad enough, creating a scam to sell more slaves is worse still, but using a war to do it?" She shakes her head; "I do not know that I can forgive such a thing. Honestly, my concerns regarding killing her are less moral and more pragmatic. While I do not relish the thought of killing anyone, I would not shed tears over that one."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:29, Wed 27 Feb 2013.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 503 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 04:40
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"It's bad to sell slaves?" asks Ned, concerned. "So, I shouldn't have goats? 'cause you bought Suzy for me, an' I really appreciate it, but if it's bad..."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 320 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 14:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix frowns. "People are not goats, young man." She smiles a little. "As much as you may like Suzy, there is a world of difference between you and her."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 504 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 15:36
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"So, it's okay to own goats and take care of them and get them to work for you, but not people?" he asks, head tilted to the side as if trying to get thoughts to tumble into their proper place in a vertical block puzzle.
Azalea
 player, 85 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 17:32
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Chuckles a little

"Animals aren't so dissimilar to people. But if you treat them well, I am pretty sure they don't mind helping you with whatever you need. Certainly, you have to take some decisions for them because of their inability to understand, like children, but feed them and care for them, and they will be glad to stay with you. It's like employment and friendship.

Slaves are different. Most of them are treated harshly, but even those that are treated very well usually wish they were free to do what they wanted. There are those people that offer their services, but it is their choice and they are compensated for it, and if they find themselves displeased they can walk away.

Slaves don't have that choice."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 505 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 17:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Oh." Ned still looks dubious, but tries to work it out in his head anyway. "If it's okay to own animals, but not slaves, and animals aren't slaves, and people don't like being slaves, and you should make punishments teach people what not to do, but you can't make the people who are bad because they sell slaves into slaves because that's bad, too..."

Shaking his noggin, which has a funny effect of causing his cowlick from sleeping funny on his hat to bob in the firelight, he shrugs. "I guess it'd be easier to teach 'em why they shouldn't do that if they were animals. Billy only does bad stuff if I forget to keep track of him."
Azalea
 player, 86 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 18:07
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She giggles and pats down his wayward hair.

"That's right. We can't do to them what we accuse them of. That would only propagate the wrongdoing, and make us into the bad guys.

And, mind you, it's only okay to 'own' animals when they can't navigate themselves into society or defend their own rights. Again, much like children. There are animals that can talk, and they are not owned by anyone."

She ponders a little.

"I think I've heard of a place that has a lot of those animals, and they are treated as citizens. Can't remember the name, though."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 506 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 19:20
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Squirming out from under Azalea's hand, the boy rubs with both hands at his hair, messing it up worse in his efforts to "do it himself." He mumbles, "If animals can be people, I won'er if people can be animals. Or if maybe they can teach Suzy and Billy to be smart like people."
Azalea
 player, 87 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 20:50
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Stifles her giggle and hands him a coral comb.

"Well, some people can behave like animals, yes.

And I have seen very smart animals. All you need to teach them is patience and care."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 507 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 21:08
Re: Chasing the Guildy
He does not show much aptitude with the comb, but he does push his hair around with it, kind-of pulling it from the center to the edge. Fortunately, Ned's hair is very short, so there's nothing in which to get tangled. "Guess it's too bad they're people, then. Animals sound easier to teach."
Azalea
 player, 88 posts
Fri 1 Mar 2013
at 17:48
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea smiles a little, but leaves the last statement without a comment, and looks back to Beatrix.


"...so..."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 321 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 13:59
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix smiles wryly. "That depends a great deal on what you are teaching them; I have yet to meet an animal that took to the idea of sums and measurements, sadly. Which is a shame; dogs are trustworthy and good at finding things, and I should love to have one or two as accountants."

"As to our other matter... I believe it might be better if we simply reason with these miscreants. I am certain that with the good Captain's help I can convince them to leave things be here. After that, dismantling their work should be a simple matter."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 508 posts
Sun 3 Mar 2013
at 08:00
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned nods, yawning. "Billy can do sums. He stamps out the answer with his left hoof," he says sleepily. "But yeah, dogs probably aren't very good at it, 'nless they're 'nathema or really are cursed people're somethin'. I'm gonna go back t' sleep. Doesn' look like you're gonna get to talk to 'em 'til morning anyway." The boy trudges back over to snuggle between his goats for warmth.

Matield turns a little in her sleep, bumping her companion, who grunts and shifts a bit in response.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 322 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 3 Mar 2013
at 21:34
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix turns at the sudden movement from the two erstwhile captives, her ears twitching and then pivoting towards them. She carefully listens to their breathing to discern whether they are awake.

After a brief silence, she sighs in exasperation and walks over to the two captives, drawing her sword as she does; the blade is presented and used to audibly scratch the ground in front of Matield's face. "Now now, Matield. I am attempting to keep you alive; if you were to endeavor not to make it more difficult, I would be sincerely appreciative."

Beatrix reaches down and tries to take something from the woman who isn't really sleeping.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:24, Sun 03 Mar 2013.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 509 posts
Mon 4 Mar 2013
at 05:52
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix finds herself holding a ... ball of thread? It was sort-of humanoid doll-shaped, but quickly unravels in her hand, and seems to be pulling against the supine form of the woman on the ground, who startled at Bea's sudden movement but then fell kind-of limp.

((OOC: Perception+Awareness! Stunt for any senses you particularly want to use.))
Azalea
 player, 89 posts
Mon 4 Mar 2013
at 07:55
Re: Chasing the Guildy

"Huh? What is going on? What is that?"

She just looks at the thread, trying to see where it comes from.


((09:54, Today: Azalea rolled 5 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Awareness.))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 512 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 04:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy
The thread seems woven into Matield as she lies on the ground. Tugging on it, Beatrix finds the thread unraveling from her clothes...no, from her body.

The woven simulacrum looks almost life-like, but Azalea's trained healer's eyes can tell as she looks more closely that it's just intricately spooled thread. Beatrix's ears twitch, hearing dainty feet trying to rush quietly away in the forest.
Merlin
 player, 313 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 04:51
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 133):

23:47, Today: Merlin rolled 5 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+awareness+Essence Sight.


23:49, Today: Merlin rolled 1 success using 3d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Air Dragon Sense bonus if within 30 yards.


Always ready for action, Merlin waits for his sense to tell him where to fly and at what to throw.

'Interesting trick she has there. However, if it didn't register via my armors essence sight it can't have that broad of a range!'
Azalea
 player, 91 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 09:24
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She seems confused for a few moments.

"I... I am not certain what this is."

She tries to figure out if it just happened, or she was always this... thing.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 323 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 13 Mar 2013
at 15:27
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Capture her quickly," Beatrix says; only five syllables, which is downright terse for her. Following her ears, she leaps to pursuit of the fleeing slaver, readying her saber as she goes.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 513 posts
Fri 15 Mar 2013
at 03:49
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix heads in roughly the right direction, but Merlin's feeling of the air and the clarity granted by his armor's sensors allows him to move to parallel the Councilwoman of Trademeet Dale, so the woman running ineptly through the underbrush is unable to go to the right or to the left and is swiftly overtaken when her stealth fails her. "What is wrong with you people?" she demands breathlessly, holding up one hand imperiously as if to command them not to accost her while she rests her other hand on one elegant knee and catches her breath.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 325 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 04:07
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Not a thing," says Beatrix. "Now, see you here. I am trying very hard not to have to kill you. I would be appreciative if you were to assist me in this endeavor by being a good captive, instead of a naughty captive. You will make certain agreements, and then you and your bodyguard can be on your way and we shall never, fate willing, see each other again. Does that not sound delightful?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 514 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 14:43
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"You-- you wait for me to be asleep, then plot to take me captive!?" she seems incredulous, indignant, and really more affronted than threatened. Though she does seem threatened. "What sort of banditry are you seeking to employ that you resort to extortion to obtain agreements, rather than honest trade? No wonder your success is more rumored than evinced if your 'business' is so tawdryeeeEEE!" she cuts off, having been backing slowly away and now bumping up against Merlin - or perhaps a stately tree; it's hard to tell with the stealthy Exalt.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 326 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:07
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix sneers at the woman as she approaches her. "I will not hear of 'honest trade' from a wretch who trades in slaves and starts wars for profit. If money can persuade you to abandon your operations in this area, then perhaps we can work out a deal that does not involve your life as a bargaining chip; otherwise, you will simply agree to do what we say, or you will be slain. I will have your cooperation or I will have your head. Either way," the taller woman says as she gets closer to the slaver, "You will work for us."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 516 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Matield's wide, deer-in-lamplights eyes narrow shrewdly, though the tension doesn't leave their corners. "What're you offering? War is not my business; I just have partners who don't mind it. What is it you're looking to...hire...me for?" she asks, betraying her continued fear with a nervous glance at the weapon Beatrix carries.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 327 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:33
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix smiles. "Well. If you could be induced to assist in dismantling the network you've helped set up, that would certainly be worth something. Do keep in mind that you've told me enough already for us to dismantle it ourselves; having you along would just make it less work."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 517 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 18:43
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Barely avoiding sputtering, the Guildswoman objects, "But-- You-- you're not going to use it? It's some of my best organizational work! And besides, my step-father would not stand idly by. My mother loaned me to this project as a favor to him; I-- you-- er, we can't just dismantle it! It wouldn't be good business, and it would be disastrous politics! Your own City Father would be against it! Not to mention the Guild interests, and your own city's financial well-being."
Azalea
 player, 92 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2013
at 19:00
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea just listens, quite puzzled, all that stuff about politics going right over her head.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 328 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 03:14
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix waves dismissively. "Your services are of value and should go to the highest bidder; I am willing to pay you better than your mother. I care little for what Calm Dasher thinks; what good is a city father who has left his city abandoned so long it no longer knows his name? I am an officiated priestess who has lived in Trademeet all my life. And yet I have never heard of him; this should show how much he cares for us."
"As to accepting the slave network  and 'putting it to work' - dear girl, that is exactly what I am doing. While it won't serve the purpose you came her eto ensure, it will serve me still. Someone has been about this awful business in my own back yard, and I will find out exactly who, and I will take them to task for it. Dismantling this organization will draw them to me, which is what I wish. If any come asking you about it, feel free to tell them who put you up to this; if it makes you feel safer, then do by all means put upon them that you are only doing this under duress, and oh won't they please save you from that awful woman?"
"Here, then, is what I propose for you. I propose to set you up on an internship, after which you will be set to make your own way in the world, without needing to rely upon the goodwill of your parents, save to that extent that anyone wishes not to infuriate a goddess. I will pay you, furnish you with lodging in my palacio, and I shall refine your salesmanship. When I am satisfied with your skills - which ought take no more than a season, if that - I shall establish you as an administrator within my financial empire. You will be working for me, but otherwise on your own, free to develop your life as you see fit. You will even be able to break away and make a start for yourself if you wish it, after the contract expires."
"Before you move in, of course, you will need to go and collect your things from your current residence in, I presume, Yu-Shan? Yes? Very good. While you're there, perhaps you could complain to your mother about what I am doing, and see that she tells her husband about it? I believe that will accomplish just what I wish."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 521 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 23:19
Re: Chasing the Guildy
After some lengthy discussion - and some discrete fading into the background by the menacing Merlin - Matield agreed to travel a bit with the group, discussing this...arrangement...with Beatrix. For the next day and a half, she proved to be a witty and rather charming - if a bit spoiled at times - woman who knew how to be a part of any conversation without dominating it, unless she wanted to.

Her bodyguard - whose name turned out to be Aldur, with no last name forthcoming - slept through the night and seemed not to even realize something hostile had nearly happened.

At a less break-neck pace, Matield al Ystara and Aldur parted ways right about where the bandits had been attacking the travelers just after the Watch Tower had come into view. Deen covered one eye and stared into the distance. "If we go north now, we should be able to catch up with Father a few hours before he makes contact with the beastman raiders, in just a couple days," he offers, squinting uncharacteristically. "...but I think I need to stop at the Hill, first."

((OOC: Perception+Awareness diff 1 to notice that his red eye has only a little red left pooled in the lower part, near the base of the iris; it's mostly white and healed by now.))
Merlin
 player, 316 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 02:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 146):

"Perhaps you and I should return to the city while the rest head towards your father's position. That is, if you want to join them via glider young sir?"

Merlin is back to being Merlin the fair haired Northern Lost Egg and not the menacing Specter Owl.
Azalea
 player, 94 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 03:31
Re: Chasing the Guildy

Azalea observes Deen's eye. If only there was a way to observe someone's eye without staring so obviously...
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 522 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 04:53
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Deen's eye honestly looks much better. Only a little disturbing with that remaining splotch of red under the iris. "Glider!? Salf'll be so jealous! Hell yeah!" exclaims the youth in genuine excitement. Ned and Freverick actually look a bit put-out.

"There's not...going to be room on it for more than the prince, is there," says Frev, looking downcast.
Merlin
 player, 317 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 14:25
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 149):

"Unfortunately no, but should we survive the coming battle, and the the glider does as well, then I will be happy to take the two of you up as well. You will see the world in a way that will increase your appreciation and awe of creation."

He gestures to the Lady, "By your leave, we will head out towards the tower."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 329 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 16:38
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Beatrix nods in agreement. "Well thought, Merlin. We will meet up with you in the near future."
Captain August Galen
 player, 167 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 00:46
Re: Chasing the Guildy
While Beatrix speaks to the others, Galen leans in close to Matield and addresses an old question nagging at the back of the brigand's head for a while, now. "So, Lady Matield, how does Calm Dasher operate? I'm a bit baffled by a City Father whom does not directly work with his city. The logistics of gaining secretive worship, alone, perplexes the mind."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 523 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 04:04
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Matield shrugs, as if it hadn't really crossed her mind, and answers with a bit of the slowness of speech of one putting new thoughts into words. "City Fathers rarely interact too directly. Celestial law is fairly strict about how one can go about promoting one's domain." Her tone gets slightly mocking, obviously finding the rules she quotes next a bit silly. "Can't get in the way of the Terrestrial Courts' appointed duties. Can't bargain for better blessings than are allowed by quota. Can't manipulate things outside the schedules of the Bureau of Destiny." Pushing air through her loosely closed lips in a bit of un-lady-like derision, she finished, "And with this Maharishi of Excellence horning in like he's a local divinity with business there, no doubt he couldn't get much worship in edge-wise. Besides, Trademeet Dale's been growing very rapidly; it's easy for mortals to forget how things run on a Celestial time scale."
Captain August Galen
 player, 168 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 14:30
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 153):

"Fascinating bureaucratic mechanics.

That does raise a questions, though. If Maharishi of Excellence is not the City Father, then what is he the god of?"

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 525 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 15:42
Re: Chasing the Guildy
Ned walks along near Azalea and Beatrix, but tilts his large, round, straw hat to listen to this conversation, somewhat fascinated by this talk of gods. Matield offers an elaborate shrug, dismissing the subject of her response. "He's really just a divine hobo. Ever since the Balorian Crusade, he's not been a god of anything significant. He used to work for my mother in the far East, but that was long ago and his glory days are well behind him."
Captain August Galen
 player, 169 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 17:02
Re: Chasing the Guildy
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 155):

"Huh. This posing as a City Father, this thief of prayer, is it not illegal among the gods? Is there no legal recourse?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 526 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 20:13
Re: Chasing the Guildy
"Oh, quite illegal," replies Matield in a gossipy tone. "I'm sure Calm Dasher has all sorts of audit-requests filed. If my step-father puts his clout behind them, they may even be expedited to be handled within the next few months."
Azalea
 player, 95 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 23:37
Re: Chasing the Guildy

She seems to be thoughtful about city fathers and divine hobos and audits and crusades, but she remains silent.