Poisoning the Well.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Azalea
 player, 104 posts
Mon 13 May 2013
at 13:41
Re: Poisoning the Well

She looks at Beatrix, her expression betraying worry.

"Such a thing doesn't occur naturally. Who could have done it? And why?"

She looks at the well.

"I... I am not certain how to locate the source of the problem. Those affected now will be all right, but if we don't fix the problem, they will just get sick again later."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 538 posts
Mon 13 May 2013
at 16:55
Re: Poisoning the Well
((Anybody investigating the water or the well may roll either Perception+Investigation or Intelligence+Survival.))
Azalea
 player, 105 posts
Mon 13 May 2013
at 17:57
Re: Poisoning the Well
((20:56, Today: Azalea rolled 2 successes using 8d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Int + Survival.

This does not include a specialty of 2 in Herbalism if it is relevant.))

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 332 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 13 May 2013
at 20:12
Re: Poisoning the Well
Bea is now looking over Azalea's shoulder, her face a tangle of conflicting emotions. She's frightened, and ought to know better than to walk into a plague land, but her curiosity and desire to help have gotten the better of her.

"These rocks in the bucket," she says, pointing. "I have done enough prospecting in this region to know they are not indigenous. At least, I have never seen their like. Their color is wrong. Perhaps they are making the water more apt to boil somehow?" After a pause she says, with brow furrowed, "What are the symptoms you have observed?"
Azalea
 player, 106 posts
Tue 14 May 2013
at 00:17
Re: Poisoning the Well

"...rocks."

She picks one up and observes it, especially its interaction with her skin.

"You are right. These seem... familiar. I've seen them before, near my village."

She settles it down and begins a small examination (making sure to cleanse herself after she's done to avoid spreading disease, of course), all the while giving Beatrix a comprehensive list of the observed symptoms, along with personal observations.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 539 posts
Sat 18 May 2013
at 16:44
Re: Poisoning the Well
Investigating the scene helps, sometimes, to identify the infection by finding the source thereof. It is possible, if the rocks are not natural to the area, that they could be the source. If so, and if they're in the well, they'd need to be removed before cures would have any enduring effect.

The blacksmith, looking worse than when Azalea arrived, but still moving, lumbers across to his forge. "Too cold," he mutters, his fever probably getting to him. "It'll be warmer near the forge."

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:45, Sat 18 May 2013.

Azalea
 player, 107 posts
Sun 19 May 2013
at 19:07
Re: Poisoning the Well

She frowns.

"...no... not near my village. Oh dear."

Looking around, now she seems worried.

"Where do you think the nearest river is? And... since it may prove relevant... is any of our group handy against Demons...?"
Merlin
 player, 321 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 19 May 2013
at 22:10
Re: Poisoning the Well
In reply to Azalea (msg # 25):

From one of the shadows Merlin appears walking towards the pair of ladies.

"That depends on the demon, but in general I am."

Merlin allows the two ladies their moment of 'where, who, damn' before continuing.

"I suspect that the same entities that are responsible here are also responsible for the Duke and his men being sick."

Merlin gives them further information gleaned using his essence visor. "It seems the duke and his men have a luminous, pale green "light" seems to break forth from their flesh. On closer examination, it is their sweat that appears as cracks in their skin, however. Actual cracks, as if they were parched to the point of dehydration, or were badly sunburnt, are harder to see unless they have cracked to the point of bleeding."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 333 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 20 May 2013
at 14:49
Re: Poisoning the Well
Beatrix frowns. "Demons? The blessings of the Sun have made me of fair use against them. And the nearest river I know of is a tributary of the Yanaze, some ways north of here. It is... likely where the Duke's men will encounter the Beastmen, as it is the functional northern border of the kingdom."
"If the Duke and his men were ill, they showed no signs. These people are lethargic. Certainly not so with the Duke. Perhaps he is... well, no. I did no see any signs of demonic influence in the Duke or his men - Aside from that awfully ominous tower - nor is there any history of this sort of thing in his family."
Azalea
 player, 108 posts
Mon 20 May 2013
at 16:09
Re: Poisoning the Well

She blinks at Merlin's sudden appearance, but doesn't comment on it other than nodding at his words, thoughtful.

At Beatrix's comment she sighs a little.

"A few days north might be a little far, and without another source of water, these people will just get sick again as soon as we leave.
Although that's not the main reason I need a river."

She heads to the well and leans in, trying to hear if there are the telltale sounds of an underwater stream being the source of the water, or a sitting pocket of it.

...after all, underwater rivers are still rivers that can be crossed.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 540 posts
Mon 20 May 2013
at 18:11
Re: Poisoning the Well
In reply to Azalea (msg # 28):

((Perception+[Awareness or Survival]; Azalea gets a 2-die stunt bonus.))
Azalea
 player, 109 posts
Mon 20 May 2013
at 19:33
Re: Poisoning the Well
(( 22:32, Today: Azalea rolled 4 successes using 8d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Survival. ))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 541 posts
Mon 20 May 2013
at 19:35
Re: Poisoning the Well
It's faint, but the burble of the water has the tell-tale undercurrent of a river flowing a few dozen feet below its standing-water line in this well. Below the level of the ground-water at this point, it nonetheless flows. There is an underground stream here.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 334 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 20 May 2013
at 21:31
Re: Poisoning the Well
"An underground stream, you think? Perhaps we can remove the taint at the source," offers Beatrix, her earlier anxiety over the situation apparently having fled. After all, if this is a problem that can be solved...
Azalea
 player, 110 posts
Mon 20 May 2013
at 22:36
Re: Poisoning the Well

She smiles and nods.

"Yes, finding the source is important."

Then she takes a leaf and carefully scribbles something with a piece of sharp wood on it. She gets back to the well and drops the leaf inside, murmurs something, then smiles to Beatrix - and Merlin, if he's still in sight.

"Of course, having friends that know a little more about this specific situation can be useful, too."
Merlin
 player, 322 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 20 May 2013
at 23:14
Re: Poisoning the Well
In reply to Azalea (msg # 33):

Behind the mask there is nothing one can tell about Merlin's facial expressions. Long practice and even longer habit offer no clues from his body language, if such could be seen beneath the cloak. Only the ladies familiarity with him outside of his Night Caste persona give them any comfort.

"Shall we attempt to contact the local water gods and gather what information we can? They would be able, if conscious, to tell us the locus of our problem."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 542 posts
Fri 24 May 2013
at 04:20
Re: Poisoning the Well
Five fruits fall from the tree that grew from Azalea's staff. Each is a date, and they blow in the wind to roll across the road. Possibly crossing, one after the other, the underground river flowing beneath the well.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 335 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 24 May 2013
at 20:57
Re: Poisoning the Well
Beatrix smiles. "I believe our Azalea may have beaten you to that conclusion, Merlin."
Azalea
 player, 111 posts
Fri 24 May 2013
at 22:31
Re: Poisoning the Well

She smiles a little, then looks at the dates.

"I was never particularly adept at deciphering signs, but it seems evident that the source of the trouble has gone that way. Five days ago, perhaps?"

She ponders.

"I am not so certain about the time, but I am pretty certain that crossing this way happened. What do you think?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 336 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 29 May 2013
at 19:45
Re: Poisoning the Well
Beatrix sighs after a moment of concentration. "I believe your deduction is a good one. I certainly cannot figure out anything further."

"We should endeavor to locate the source of this problem, and in the meantime perhaps relocate the people of this hamlet somewhere that hasn't been touched by it. If the well water is the cause of their malady, then perhaps clean water will help them recover their health?"
Azalea
 player, 112 posts
Thu 30 May 2013
at 07:04
Re: Poisoning the Well

She nods

"Although clean now, they need to recuperate. Certainly, clean water will help with that. And even more so, this well water will infect them again.

But... how do we relocate them? Where?"
Merlin
 player, 324 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 1 Jun 2013
at 00:00
Re: Poisoning the Well
In reply to Azalea (msg # 39):

"Well those dates seemed to have rolled in the general direction of the Duke's army camp. The men likely drank from the well. I am not certain, but I would say the army traveled through here less than 5 days ago."

Merlin looks for signs of passage of that large of a group of men to confirm, if necessary.
Azalea
 player, 113 posts
Sat 1 Jun 2013
at 03:45
Re: Poisoning the Well

"Oh dear. That can't be good."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 544 posts
Sun 2 Jun 2013
at 01:48
Re: Poisoning the Well
The road through town is exceptionally well-travelled, so it's nearly impossible to tell if a large group came through within a specific timeframe. That said, there is the blacksmith, hammering away with increasing rapidity in his forge. He might know.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 545 posts
Tue 4 Jun 2013
at 12:13
Re: Poisoning the Well
The clanging in the forge continues at its fevered tempo, yet contains a driving rhythm of purpose, not mere flailing about. Leaning heavily on the door frame of the inn, a child whose gender is hard to determine due to the loss of hair and the distortion of features created by badly peeling skin (as in a third degree sunburn) looks worried. Another child, a year or so older, perhaps, and in similarly ill condition, stumbles to the other side of the door frame, shaking hands holding a tankard of watery ale. The first child helps steady it, and they support each other, carrying it across the dusty way, past the well, to the forge.