Poisoning the Well.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 529 posts
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 16:02
Poisoning the Well
Merlin passed Hun and Po on their borrowed steeds some distance back; they should catch up with the party at the steady pace of their riding a few hours after dusk. His own flight brought him and the Prince to the group within an hour.

The trip on foot for most has been uneventful since splitting up near Watch Hill, and also much quieter since Matield parted ways to go "get her things" from "home." The road the army took is easily followed; not only is it well-traveled, but the trample of feet and hooves makes it clearly marked with prints and crushed grass to either side. With only a day's head start on the group, they should catch up to the army sometime tomorrow.

As the sun turns the far hills ahead red, a tiny village made up mostly of a wayfarer's inn and the two or three trading post shops and other services that spring up near such locales comes into view. Reaching the bottom of the hill, however, a hastily constructed sign seems to be trying to bar the way. Physically, it is ineffectual, however, the symbol of Saturn circumscribed by a circle bearing a warding sign of Mercury etched into it in charcoal might have a more profound effect. "Quarantine: Plague."
Azalea
 player, 96 posts
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 03:22
Re: Poisoning the Well

Azalea pauses to look at the sign.

With a small widening of her eyes and a muttered exclamation, and not the least bit of hesitation, she increases her pace towards the village.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 530 posts
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 14:25
Re: Poisoning the Well
"Doesn't that sign mean we should stay away from the village?" asks Freverick as Azalea picks up her pace.

"She knows that," responds Sevastian, laying a hand on his brother's shoulder.

The sign was placed in the saddle point between the hills along which the road was trampled, and the trek up is somewhat steep. It would probably be easier, if the road were actually constructed rather than merely tramped down, if it spiraled around the hill. It's probably a good quarter mile to the stables that are the nearest structure.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:12, Sat 27 Apr 2013.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 330 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 3 May 2013
at 17:12
Re: Poisoning the Well
Beatrix frowns, seeming worried. "Azalea, what are you intending to do?"
Azalea
 player, 97 posts
Fri 3 May 2013
at 17:26
Re: Poisoning the Well

She looks at Beatrix with a puzzled expression, without breaking her pace.

"Well, help, of course."

The puzzled expression remains for a few moments, with an unspoken 'what else?' lingering in her eyes before she turns back towards where she's going.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 531 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 03:36
Re: Poisoning the Well
Coming to the top of the hill, the town seems...quiet. Honestly, too quiet. There are only four buildings - five, if you count the stables as separate from the inn - in this tiny waystation, and a large stone well in the middle of it, covered by a small roof to keep the sun from evaporating the water within.

The inn is the largest building, with a blacksmithy, a shrine, and a storehouse making up the remainder of this little stop-over point for weary travelers.
Azalea
 player, 98 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 08:28
Re: Poisoning the Well

Azalea pauses at the hill's crest, taking a few moments to observe the villageling from the benefit of distance, trying to discern movement. Any movement.

If there is none, she will increase her pace even more, to almost jogging, muttering something along the lines of "I hope it's not too late."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 532 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 13:52
Re: Poisoning the Well
As Azalea's unsutble footsteps tread on the hard dirt that tops the hill, a badly sunburnt man steps out of the inn. "What're you, blind, woman! Did you not see the quarantine sign?" he asks, his voice raspy, and quieter than the amount of breath he's putting into it should make it be. He leans against the inn's sturdy door frame for support, obviously physically tired.
Azalea
 player, 99 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 16:08
Re: Poisoning the Well

She seems more relieved than anything else to see someone alive, even in such a condition. Obviously unworried, she even goes so far as to reach out to help him stabilize himself.

Her smile is warm and confident.

"It's all right. I'm a healer. I can help. Let's get you in to get some rest while you explain the situation?"

For the trained eye, even as she helps him get his footing, she is examining him.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 533 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 17:51
Re: Poisoning the Well
The man winces as she reaches out for him, trying to stay back, but sighs and allows her to support him once she touches him. "Too late now, I suppose," he says ruefully. "You know you can't leave an' spread this to the kingdom now, right?"

Inside, a dozen or so makeshift beds made of blankets and pillows have been laid out on the floor, the inn's tables shoved aside to make room. Nine are filled: Three grown men, two grown women, a youth about the age of the red-eyed prince, and three young children, laid out between one of the men and women. Their hair is falling out, and the smallest are nearly skeletal and visibly feverish. The empty "bed" has been laid out somewhat carelessly, but doesn't look like it's yet been occupied.

"Oran," grunts the largest of the men, struggling to sit up and leaving the last of his balding head's hair on the pillow, "Why did you bring her IN?" He coughs, and rasps, "Now one more will--" he coughs again, "--will fall prey to whatever-this-is." One of the kids turns to look, the only one conscious at the moment, and tries to grin in practiced welcome, but the rot overtaking his teeth is very...off-putting.
Azalea
 player, 100 posts
Mon 6 May 2013
at 22:21
Re: Poisoning the Well
She looks around carefully, her eyes going over details, but she keeps a warm, reassuring smile.

"I have seen this before. Don't worry, I can help. I need some water. A bucket or two, for now. Where can I get it?"

She picks one of her small pouches from her belt and opens it, taking a pinch of some herbs and rubs them between her fingers, then kneels next to the children and lets them smell the sweet scent.

"You'll be fine," she half whispers, and uses her own waterskin to give them a drink for now.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 534 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 03:59
Re: Poisoning the Well
The herbs have their desired effect, and the child relaxes a bit. The other two cease their shivering in their sleep.

"You're a healer?" asks the large man, whose skin flakes under even Azalea's gentle touch. "Are you sure you won't catch this?" He's actually somewhat delirious, though concentrating hard to hide it. He probably didn't really parse her request.

The burly man - Oran - who she helped inside slumps back towards the door. "Water's in the well. Wine and ale in the barrels behind Luee's bar, if you need alcohol instead," he says, moving to go out and get the water. "This is everybody in the waypoint. Thank the small gods, the army left before this hit."
Azalea
 player, 101 posts
Tue 7 May 2013
at 08:10
Re: Poisoning the Well

She smiles to reassure the worried man.

"Don't worry. We will all get out of this fine."

Then she looks at Oran.

"This is everyone in the village?"

She is somewhat sad that everyone is sick, but at the same time relieved that they are all together.

She stands up and heads to the door and towards the well. If her companions are nearby by that time, she raises a hand and speaks from some distance away.

"Perhaps it would be prudent not to go inside. They will be fine, we got here in time, so there is no need to cause unrest."

She then heads towards the well to get some water.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 535 posts
Wed 8 May 2013
at 02:21
Re: Poisoning the Well
The well has plenty of water, filling the bucket heavily as Azalea pulls it up. Some rocks roll lazily around in the bottom of it.
Azalea
 player, 102 posts
Wed 8 May 2013
at 11:24
Re: Poisoning the Well


Before she steps back inside, she plants her staff on the ground nearby and lets it grow. There might be need for filling food, and she is not aware if anyone was in good enough condition to provide.

She heads back inside and begins proper treatment for everyone, offering plenty of water and boiling some infusion to alleviate symptoms and ease suffering, all the while speaking to them to maintain their hope or give them more.

Whenever she has a chance, and someone is well enough to speak, she asks about how and when this happened, and if there was anyone else sick before she arrived, or anyone that might have breached the impromptu quarantine.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 331 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 9 May 2013
at 16:22
Re: Poisoning the Well
Beatrix frowns worriedly at all this, although she does so from what she hopes is a safe distance, and it's hard to see her face through the scented handkerchief she has tied over her nose and mouth.
"Azalea," she says, "Are you certain there is anything you can do for these people?"
Azalea
 player, 103 posts
Thu 9 May 2013
at 20:47
Re: Poisoning the Well

At some point that Azalea can be seen from outside, she looks at Beatrix curiously.

"Well... of course."


She then continues on her treatment, until a little bit later, that she comes outside again, frowning at the bucket.


"...it's in the water."

She looks around and sighs.

"Boiling this will help for now, and the people will be all right now, but we need to find the source if we want to stop it properly."

Then she heads for the well.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 537 posts
Sun 12 May 2013
at 21:55
Re: Poisoning the Well
Boiling the water, when performed, happens far too rapidly, and the unhealthy humors therein only become enflamed. Fortunately, Azalea detects this before she administers any of it.