Battle at the Fire Pallisades   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 625 posts
Mon 24 Mar 2014
at 12:46
Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Azalea finds that delegation is relatively easy, once she's given treatment to those most poisoned by the Blood of the Forge's essence. Men are used to running triage, and seeing to the comfort of those still recovering is demanding but not necessarily in need of fully-trained healers' personal attention. Ned is a real trooper, despite yawning rather dramatically (and trying to hide it) by the time the sun has crept its way over the horizon. The other soldiers - the ones least in need of rest - are grateful to be of some use, helping their comrades-in-arms and providing Azalea as much comfort as they can spare while helping her keep upright; she's won more than a few men's eternal gratitude for her help.

The camp, by the time the crisp, clear morning is fully arrived (with only a few clouds dotting the sky), is eerily lit and warmed by the walls of solidified fire.

Merlin is the first to spot the incoming screen line of forward troops for the beastman army, though their lack of subtlety makes it easy for the lookouts to spy them, as well. The monsters will be here in under an hour; everybody is to be roust from their rest.

Beatrix is awakened by the sound of arguing outside her tent.
Merlin
 player, 382 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 00:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 1):

Merlin hopefully got at least an hour of sleep and if he didn't goes off to get at least a nap of some sort. He makes sure to report in once they are sighted, but having been at this for more than a day with heavy combat and constant movement is kinda of telling. Once he is awake from his nap, he will do some scouting upon the flanks of the enemy to make sure they are really their flanks. He compliments the demons work in front of them, though, at some point.
Azalea
 player, 155 posts
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 04:41
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea slept for however little she could afford, but is up with everyone else, although she has informed she can do very little other than tend the injured in a battle.

To keep herself awake until something happens, she seems to be performing some kind of very basic kata from some sort of indescript soft martial arts, although it looks more like she tries to emulate something she's seen or heard of, rather than know precisely what she's doing.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 626 posts
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 17:35
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Finding time to catch a couple hours of sleep is possible, but not trivial. Fortunately, as Azalea's work progressed, more and more able-bodied men-at-arms were available for more and more of the grunt work. The Duke insisted his Knights and the prince get plenty of rest; he, himself, is now dead on his feet.

A few of the men-at-arms, despite Azalea's claims, insist on showing her at least how to hold a pike and a few moves meant to keep an enemy at a distance. Ned, despite heroic efforts to hold back yawns, joins in; he uses his herding crook, though, as the pikes are too long for him.

When Merlin flies out once more, he see's the advancing raiding force spreading out a bit. Those really are the beastmen's flanks; this isn't the most disciplined raiding force Merlin's ever seen, and what order there is extends mostly to the reach of the (now almost-as-tired as the Exalted) leader in the wolf-skin head-piece.

The almost eerie, teeth-grinding sounds of whuffling and snorting that indicate the beastmen advance has spotted the palisades finally arrive. When they do, they swiftly rise in volume to a surprisingly thin battle-call as the "forward screens" hurl themselves into the fray rather than turning back to report to the main bulk of the force. Perhaps they're not screens at all, but just the fastest of the raiders getting ahead of everyone else.

If anybody wasn't up yet, the blood-curdling bleating of a goat-man leaping over the palisade only to be impaled by raised pikes quickly solves that. The two or three that try to climb the fire-walls hiss and howl in pain as their flesh sears where they touch it.

And like the first drops of rain, these small handfuls become an increasing stream as the cries excite the two-legged beasts still some distance off, and they begin to converge.
Merlin
 player, 383 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 01:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 4):

Merlin reports back to the Duke or the Duke's most able commander at this point. His is not the most military of minds and gives as detailed a report as he possible can, including any essence usage he saw through his visors. He shudders to think what will happen if the ancient Lunar is really amongst those about to attack. A small voice in the back of his mind tells him that his chances of surviving don't seem so good if that is the case. He prepares himself none of the less for he and the Lady LaSchaye would be all the would stand between the Beast and the total decimation of the Duke's forces and eventually this part of creation.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 627 posts
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 14:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Though his Essence Lenses help him see in the dark, they unfortunately do not give him the same vision as storied Twilights' All-Encompassing Sorcerers' Sight. That makes it all the more unusual that a significant number of the beastmen, many of whom are acting with more erratic frenzy as they charge, glitter with some sort of luminous after-image in his sight.

One or two pockets of combat have broken out in their own ranks, even.

If the ancient Lunar in question is with the army, he's not yet made himself known as such. The obvious leader appears mighty, but has yet to exhibit any clearly essence-enhanced capabilities.
Azalea
 player, 156 posts
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 05:57
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

As the first attackers approach, the situation strikes home. A battlefield. She never thought she'd be in the front lines of one, let alone so soon.

She sighs a little and remains behind the front line of defenders, but she seems unsure where exactly she should be.

Looking at Ned, she offers a small smile that is likely intended to be reassuring.
"I think you should get the little ones and get somewhere safer."
Merlin
 player, 384 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 23:39
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 7):

Merlin waits for orders or suggestions from somebody in charge before flying off to do his own thing. Unless there looks like there is going to be some kind of breach of the defenses. If that looks imminent then he will leap into action there using all of his normal abilities to kill the enemy.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 628 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 00:46
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Ned looks up to Azalea. "Where's 'safer?'" he asks.

The palisade is holding remarkably well; the shape utilizes the terrain to funnel the beastmen into decent killing-grounds, and the fire from which most of it is constructed keeps them off the walls themselves.
Azalea
 player, 157 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 07:12
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

She looks around, then sighs.

"On a distant mountain, I suppose. You're right, I don't know. Just... stay a little back from the front lines, I guess?"
Merlin
 player, 385 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 12:18
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 10):

Merlin looks around to see what Beatrix is doing. If she heads off to fight the goat-leader then he will follow her.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 374 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 01:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix pokes her head out of the tent, blinking her eyes blearily and grumbling something that might be a question as to the source of the argument. Alas, a tragically slow riser is our Beatrix, and she does not grasp that the situation is at all problematic until an awful sound catches her attention and she glances over to see goatmen quickly becoming roast-mutton-on-a-spit-men, at which point she only narrowly avoids the loss of her last meal.
Slapping her long, pointed ears (which seems to have the effect of jarring her more fully into wakefulness), she reaches for her sword...
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 629 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The argument is surprisingly civil considering that it is between the dwarf-demons and Sir Vaniel. The only drawn weapon is one remarkably familiar to Beatrix, once she realizes that it is not, in fact, on her hip where it should be. And it's only being used to gesticulate angrily. As it moves, it catches and reflects the rising sun's light in every direction.

It seems there's some disagreement over who should wake Beatrix up, or if she should be left to sleep and be guarded by valiant soldiers.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 375 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:50
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix considers the situation briefly before simply clearing her throat and saying, "Gentlemen?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 631 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:58
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Where?" ask the two demons simultaneously, while the knight straightens up and looks to Beatrix just a little embarassed.

"Yes, m'Lady?" is Sir Vaniel's slightly stiff response.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 376 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:00
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Is that my sword," asks Bea, having managed to assume her usual composure by this point, "and if so, may I have it back? It would appear that there may be some use for it at the moment."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 632 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Well, yeah," says the smaller demon.

"We was gonna give it t'ya but this stringbean got in the way!" adds the larger, taking the sword from the smaller one and holding it casually in one hand, hilt extended to Beatrix.

Sir Vaniel bites back a consternated "Stringbea--!?" by clearing his throat. He forces genteel tones and offers, "I merely did not wish you to awaken in this time of battle with...faces easily mistaken for those of recent foes, m'Lady. If these ruffians were to levy insult or injury to you, I would be remiss in my chivalric duty."

A beastman's bleat as it lunges over the wall and is repelled by pikes punctuates Vaniel's words, though for better or worse is best left to individual judgment.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 377 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:42
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Ah," says Beatrix. "I believe the ruffians will be on their best behavior for now. Perhaps we should focus our attention on other, more pressing matters?" She nods in the direction of the battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 633 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:48
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Vaniel's lip curls a little as he glances down at the demons, but he nonetheless bows. "You are correct, m'Lady. I suppose I can at least trust these two stalwarts to see you to safety," he states, with an impressive amount of implied threat in his tone should they fail in this duty.

The knight heads up to the palisade to help direct his own men and relieve some at one of the pike-holds, glancing back once or twice on his way.

"Psh-yeah," snort the demons. "Keep runnin, boyo," says the larger one. The smaller one adds, "As if we'd miss the brawl. Take your sword already, wouldja?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 378 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 13:45
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Certainly," replies Beatrix, examining it as she takes it in hand. Is that the light of the sun reflecting off the blade, or is that the blade? "I had no idea you were going to repair it. And I must thank you; it seemed damaged (and rather badly so) after the battle with the Forge, and I was unsure if it would last another battle or snap upon meeting the enemy. But this?" She hefts the blade appreciatively. "This is a blade one may have confidence in. Again, thank you," she offers, giving the demons each a grateful bow.
After looking it over, she levels it in the direction of the oncoming beastmen and issues a relaxed and casual declaration of "And now; charge" before striding confidently for the line and taking up a defensive spot in preparation for any forces that actually make it over the wall intact.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 634 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 16:44
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The demons look at each other, grin, and appreciatively watch Beatrix walk for a few moments before grabbing ill-fitting helms and handfuls of spears to advance on the wall.
Merlin
 player, 387 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 18:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 21):

Seeing the Beatrix is heading towards the wall Merlin falls in line with her and the two demons.

'One wonders if the mighty wonders of the first age were really the craftmanship of the exalted or merely their servants?'
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 379 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 31 Mar 2014
at 00:28
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Perhaps both?" responds Bea, testing her weapon's balance and then beginning to examine its edge. She stops before touching the blade itself, frowning. "Odd. It is quite hot."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 636 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 22:20
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The front lines are densely packed, and at least a few beastmen seem to be braving the flame-built walls, attempting to leap them or climb trees to fling spears and sling-stones down into the encampment.

Ned tries to stay back with Azalea, and mimic her defensive posture. He's not completely inept with his shepherd's crook, either; between the distance, his hat, and a couple lucky bats, he manages to keep sling-stones from hitting him too much.
Azalea
 player, 160 posts
Tue 8 Apr 2014
at 15:02
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

"Ack... this is... not ideal positioning."

She looks around for some cover and heads to it, taking Ned along.
Merlin
 player, 388 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 9 Apr 2014
at 21:50
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 25):

Merlin takes the opportunity to sling a couple of Chakrum at Beastmen that start climbing trees and using them to fling attacks past the walls. Those that chuck spears, get them returned, with interest.

'Most interesting. I wonder if the goat-headed man is really just an extraordinary wyld shaped mutant of uncommon skill? One would thing that a Lunar would be right up front slaying the mortals.....unless it is just testing us?'

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 637 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 00:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Why would he test us?" asks Salf, between breaths of exertion as he hefts a shield to block a crude axe before thrusting with a short spear at the beastman leaping the palisade at him.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 380 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 02:44
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"To see where we are weakest, that he may attack us there, perhaps," says Bea as she scales a rock to get a better view of the attackers, carefully weaving between some archers to do so. "oh, good shot," she murmurs to one as she goes.

She spends some time examining the leader of the raid; her eyes gleam briefly, or is that just her dramatically catching the light of the sun itself? Regardless, she spends some time looking on before returning to the line and saying to Merlin, "The good news, I suppose, is that this is not Ma-Ha-Suchi. He is too new to the possession of power and wealth, and the command of men; his is the manner of a successful upstart. He is likely a tribal warlord who has recently made good; he is wealthy now and is new to it. It is instead the sort of raid that the Duke and his men have become accustomed to dealing with."
Azalea
 player, 162 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 19:36
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea ponders with a small frown.

"I have heard of those wolf-goatmen. All references suggest they share the traits of both wolves and goats, and that includes traits beyond the physiological ones."

Her thoughtful frown deepens a little.

"Well, we know how wolves work. Pack mentality, alpha, territorial and exhaustion hunters, going for the weak.

But that's not enough to formulate a strategy. How do goats work?"

Then she blinks, and looks at Ned.

"Ned! You should know more than enough of that to let us formulate a more efficient strategy."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 640 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 04:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"I should!?" exclaims the goat-boy. "I mean--goats? They're... they like to think it's their idea, and they go along with the others. Wolves EAT goats. You hafta protect 'em when you're their goatherd. That's why they trust you. Does that help?" he asks, backing away slowly from any gazes that turn to him. He ducks his head, a small motion that brings his large round straw hat down dramatically, which is fortunate as a few slung stones bounce off it rather than hitting him. He yelps a little in startlement at the impacts, though.
Azalea
 player, 163 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 05:04
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea grows thoughtful for a bit.

"Hm. They personalize ideas, and something that's both wolf and goat is prone to temptation to consume itself. Interpolating for common mental motives, I think it should be viable to attempt to suggest blame for erroneous action to some of their forces, and see if they turn to each other."

She looks towards Merlin and Beatrix.

"After all, infighting in a pack is a sure way for it to crumble, and if the alpha is out, whether to injury or infighting, the hunt is over."
Merlin
 player, 390 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 12:22
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 31):

"It is not the leader of this band that is testing us. However, it is most likely the creator of the entire horde that is testing them. The goat-wolf-men are just to similar to each other for this to be some kind of naturally occurring subset of barbarian hordes. There should be a wide variety of looks, abilities, and mental conditions. The very lack of variety dictates somebody has been breeding them...."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 642 posts
Thu 17 Apr 2014
at 00:59
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Clavian intercepts a thrown hatchet with his shield, and stabs upward with is sword to ward off a beastman. "The breeding camps of Ma-Ha-Suchi are terrible to hear of," he grunts out between exertions. "It's one of the worst horrors known to await captives of these raids."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 384 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 20:42
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix nods to Azalea. "Then the alpha will just have to go. Merlin, since you may so freely laugh off the pull of Gaea, would you be so kind as to take flight and assail their leader from the air? I believe you should face little in the way of reprisal there, and your success would make our efforts much easier, I believe."
Merlin
 player, 392 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 23 Apr 2014
at 02:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 34):

Merlin shimmers and fades from view as he activates his armor's cloaking device. The blurred form flies off into the sky. Given his limited invisibility Merlin circles around behind the leader once he finds him and will attack him from the rear, initially, with a very well placed set of Chakrum. Hovering in mid-air to the rear and 100's of feet above his target he offers a prayer to the UCS, giving this kill to protect the citizens of creation, to the glory of his name. Diving comes down just over the tree line, all but undetectable as he brings forth the chakrums and launches them in a single attack.


OOC: Spending 5m to activate cloak for an hour.
21:00, Today: Merlin rolled 7 successes using 18d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Stealth Roll on way in to goatman.
Per+Awa test at dif 7 to detect Merlin as he moves in to attack. Augmenting with 1st MA Excellency +5 Dice, Air Dragon Form already gives +5 dice. Spending a WP to add Conviction (5) dice to the attack roll.
21:02, Today: Merlin rolled 16 successes using 25d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Attack Roll on Goatman leader.
-Goatman should have a DV of 0 from being attacked from behind, even if he does detect Merlin somehow, unless he uses charms/abilities to bring that up, of course.
Base Damage 7L.
Goatman defends against the 2 Chackrum as if it was 1 attack, but soaks damage from each separately. Feel free to roll the damage or tell me what to roll and I will describe him being cut into 3 pieces if you like ;-)

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 643 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 16:49
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The beastman leader has just finished bellowing orders which may be followed as much because "keep attacking" is just the general wont of the attacking horde as out of any sense of loyalty or even awareness thereof. It is mid-breath before another such bleat of commands that the dual chakram slice straight through him, ruining his wolf-hide head-dress and (perhaps more importantly to some) cutting him into three distinct, if uneven, pieces.

His corpse does not even appear surprised; he was probably dead before he knew he was attacked.

Goat- and wolf-men in the immediate area whip about to see what hit him, but apparently find nothing, and a couple immediately start head-butting over the disposition of the wolf pelt head-dress. Much further than immediate line-of-sight - which is limited in this forested area - and the creatures don't even seem to be aware of the loss of their leader in the immediate few seconds following.

The attacks continue, with one ingeniously cruel creature grabbing some of the fallen corpses and beginning to pile them up against the fire-wall. Though they smoulder, the sweat-damp fur and the internal bodily fluids make more of a horrific odor than they allow any actual ignition.
Azalea
 player, 164 posts
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 01:46
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Waits for Merlin to return with a report, taking a handkerchief to her nose in the meantime. Horrible stench is often encountered when dealing with illness, but the fact that it doesn't affect her doesn't make it pleasant.
Merlin
 player, 394 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 5 May 2014
at 15:13
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 37):

Merlin swoops in and responds that the leader is dead. He then goes and starts laying waste to the beast-men using his feet to break necks and backs near the pile of fallen corpses. He uses the smoke as a means of hiding and then gliding back out to surprise a couple of new beast-men.


OOC: Not sure you even want dice rolls for extras.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 646 posts
Thu 8 May 2014
at 04:52
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Methius takes the report of the fallen leader and begins organizing his men for a sally.

Meanwhile, Merlin's devastating assault leaves more corpses than the clever beastman started with, but leaves them scattered about and on fire. Not an effective climbing platform any longer.

Though there seems to be some confusion in what semblance of ranks the marauders had, it is only making their attack slacken a little; they were hardly organized to begin with. Nonetheless, the fighting over fallen comrades' equipment and riches is beginning to take its toll. Still, they keep coming in waves, pounding the safe parts of the wall and spearing and stoning guardsmen with each approach. The humans, however, are slowly gaining a widening upper hand.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 385 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 10 May 2014
at 00:56
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix looks over the battlefield, seeing the lack of reaction to the death of the leader, and then the raising of a corpse-ladder by a beastman who clearly thinks he's moving on up, she puts two and two together and moves into action.

She strides up the flame wall, taking quick, light steps so as not to give the fire time to heat her soles through, and perches at last atop the meaty hand of the beastman who was piling bodies, pinning it to the wall beneath her. Once at a rest, she clears her throat. Then, adopting an exaggeratedly nonchalant air, she glances aside while she says, very loudly, "Oh, look, the beastman leader is dead. I wonder who gets first choice of the loot now?" With a shrug of her shoulders, she continues; "Oh, well, I'm sure they don't really care about captives or loot. But it's just a shame to think of it all going to someone else." And then, her work done, she steps back down.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 649 posts
Sun 18 May 2014
at 04:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
An odd ripple passes through the beastmen. Those nearest Beatrix are unaffected, as they're actively engaged in life-or-death struggles with men at arms on the fire palisades, but others pause briefly as her words register with the parts of their higher souls which register meaning and that meaning is passed to the parts of their lower souls which calculate greed.

Then about half of them fall into arguing and bickering, and another third start immediately looting their own fallen comrades.

The remaining ones keep pressing the attack, leaderlessness prompting them only to continue the savagery last commanded.
Merlin
 player, 396 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 18 May 2014
at 23:28
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 41):

Merlin keeps doing what he has been doing and does so across the line where ever the defenses seem to be about to falter.

'This is the life! Then again, I would rather be fighting Fae or something else that wasn't really part of creation.'
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 651 posts
Mon 19 May 2014
at 04:01
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
With the numbers of actual attackers thinning, Merlin's assaults actually break holes in the offensive rather than merely shoring up the defenders. It isn't a route; there isn't enough organization to even spread the panic necessary for the mass retreat of that variety.

Instead, those who do retreat are fallen upon by their own allies as squabbles over loot and the possessions of casualties come into dispute.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 389 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 25 May 2014
at 03:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix continues to hold the line ably; while she is good with a sword, this is her first pitched battle and not what you could say to be something within her comfort zone.

Glancing over, she sees Merlin acquitting himself amazingly well, mowing down enemies by the score. "Remarkable how efficient he is," she thinks to herself. "And if I'm not wrong, he seems to actually be enjoying himself. Although I suppose there is a certain joy in any job well done, and with him on the front we are nearly to the point where--"

She comes to a realization and begins to think, nearly missing an attack directed at her in her distraction. But in a moment she calls out, hoping that at least Merlin hears her, "Try to leave at least one alive for capture!"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 655 posts
Sun 25 May 2014
at 15:48
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
As the battle thins at the palisade, Azalea's trained healer's eye can start to pick out more and more of the fallen. Sadly, not all of them are bestial in countenance; a good number of humans are dead or dying of wounds, and some have slumped over on the fire-wall itself. Those are universally in the former category.

The beastmen seem to be still paying some attention to Beatrix's words, as well, as after her call, a few pull nets out of bags or off of themselves (or fallen comrades). If they can't win this fight, they might at least take a few prisoners. While Beatrix is watching a bit for Merlin's next strike, she notices a tangle of weighted rope flying in her direction!
Merlin
 player, 397 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 25 May 2014
at 20:13
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 45):

Merlin takes a moment to survey what is going on, leaving a couple of beastmen thinking that the other hit the other.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 390 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 26 May 2014
at 03:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix's long, slender ears twitch as something catches her attention; "Hullo, that sounds like a net being thrown," she thinks, and turns just in time to see that there is, indeed, a net being cast her way, and to take action to deal with it. To wit; she proceeded to set herself, and then to make two lightning-swift and brilliantly accurate strokes with her saber, which had the effect of cutting the net into inoffensive fragments which sailed merrily past her and did not manage to inconvenience anyone.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 659 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 02:36
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Merlin notices, from his higher vantage, that amongst the casualties are Sirs Methius and Vaniel. From this distance, his medical training can't be certain, but they don't seem dead...yet. They might be if the beastmen pressing at the bulwark nearest their two disparate positions get through, however. Sir Clavien still leads the bulk of his men in defending a third point, and the Duke and his son are manning yet a fourth stolidly.
Azalea
 player, 166 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 18:53
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Still ignorant of the potential medical emergency, Azalea remains behind cover, trying to make sure any injured nearby also make it behind cover and to safety.
Merlin
 player, 398 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 29 May 2014
at 23:01
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 49):

Merlin goes and gently picks up Methius first and takes him to the feet of Azalea as fast as he can. He does a follow up trip with Sir Vaniel.

"They need help."

He then goes to bolster those areas which need it keeping an eye out for ranged attackers that can get to the Duke.
Azalea
 player, 167 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 03:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

She blinks at the emergency delivery service, but that moment is over quickly and she sets to doing what she can.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 660 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 04:03
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The Knights' injuries are serious, but not life-threatening with proper care, which Azalea is more than capable of providing. They're definitely going to need some rest after this battle, however. Mercifully, there is no risk of lost limbs, though Vaniel's lung has collapsed, likely due to the armor caved in over his right breast.
Azalea
 player, 168 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 17:41
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea makes sure to carefully remove the breastplate before restoring the lung - a little bit of essence for this task, as it can grow to be life threatening even if it's not at first - but she is glad no limbs are missing. Even though she's perfectly capable at regrowing lost limbs, she'd rather not need to; it is certain to cause overwhelming reactions.

Other than that, she continues with quick but mundane treatment. You never know when essence might be necessary in open battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 662 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 01:39
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Before too much longer, the remains of the beastman attack are too busy fighting over their own fallen comrades' possessions to be much threat; those who would not retreat from the wall of solid flames lie dead before it, and the humans can begin picking up their wounded and dead.

"It's over," says Salf, covering one eyes and peering with the red-clouded one into a distance none others can see. "They're retreating, Father."

"Good," says the duke, quietly, before raising his sword in the air and shouting, "We've won!"

This announcement brings a responding cheer from the men. It is surprisingly hearty for how many are wounded, dead, and still weak from their recent recovery. A testament, along with the many wounded who are looking to survive when they normally wouldn't, to Azalea's skills.

(OOC: Perception+Awareness checks from everyone, please.)
Azalea
 player, 169 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 12:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
As soon as the fighting seems to be over - or at the very least, the spear- and rock-throwing, Azalea moves back out of cover and towards the front lines. Getting to those critically injured in time is all that stands between life and death.

(( 15:40, Today: Azalea rolled 2 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Awareness. ))
Merlin
 player, 399 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 31 May 2014
at 13:55
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 55):

Merlin is making sure that there will be not surprises by gliding around looking for them. He seems some what distracted by the looting as he, being what he is, is making sure nothing really good is getting away.

08:54, Today: Merlin rolled 3 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+Awa.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 664 posts
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 01:17
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Merlin's practiced eye does notice that among the more common jewelry fought over by the retreating beastmen are necklaces made of metal thread strung with obols for beads. Not too many, but enough that several scuffles have broken out over different ones that apparently belonged to now-dead beastmen.

As Beatrix ventures out into the corpse-laden battlefield, she notices four still-living ones lying near each other. Unfortunately, she only realizes too late that they're lying in a relatively inept attempt at ambush, rather than due to being casualties.

They spring to their feet, along with one she failed to notice was still breathing as she passed him, and spears flash from two in order to herd her into the suddenly-flying nets the other three toss in a wide spread, hoping to cut her off and tangle her weapon!

((OOC: Coordinated attack! Your DV is at a -5 penalty!))
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 391 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 02:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix retreats back and then to the side away from the attackers; her sword glows with Essence as she begins striking rapidly against her attacker's weapons, narrowly managing to come out unscathed. Once done she is facing her attackers more or less head-on, a disappointed look on her face.

"And here," she says, "I'd been looking for excuses to leave you alive."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 668 posts
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 03:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Don't worry," says a smaller one with more goat than wolf about him, "We'll keep you alive, too. You'll fetch a good price!"

A larger one hits him with the butt of his spear. "No! This one's for tribute! The rewards'll be higher for one THIS delicious."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 392 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 03:00
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix shakes her head pityingly. "Oh, no, no. I am afraid you do not understand the situation into which you have been placed." With a flash, she wheels around, tumbling and spinning while her blade arcs through the air, killing the three beastmen who had thus far been silent with neat, precise strokes.

As they fall to the ground, she turns back to the two talkative beastmen, her features stern and the light of the sun beginning to radiate from her, and while her blade glows hot in apparent sympathy, there is ice in her words. "You are not in control here; I am. You are not taking me anywhere; you are coming with me. You will answer all of my questions, and how satisfied I am with the completeness of the information you give me will determine whether or not I kill you. Do you understand?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 674 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 22:04
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The larger remaining beastman exchanges a wide-eyed glance with the smaller one, and they both snort, backing away slightly and lowering their heads in either defensiveness or obeisance. "Yes. We understand," they say in clipped tones with a hint of a canine whimper.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 393 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 16:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix nods curtly. "And it is well that you do. Come with me. We are leaving the battle behind for now." And so she heads out to get some distance from the fighting with her new captives; as she goes she is paying keen attention for any threats that come at her or her charges.
Merlin
 player, 402 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 12:16
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 62):

Merlin does what is necessary to keep the men, specifically the Duke and princes, alive for the remainder of the battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 680 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 00:26
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Within the hour, the beastmen who are still present are either dead or one of the two Beatrix has taken prisoner. Azalea has gotten the wounded stabilized (and most of them nearly fully healed), and Duke Lothus and Prince Deen are surveying the battlefield and bolstering the post-battle morale of their men.

In the meantime, Beatrix has a small contingent of Sir Methius's men at arms to form a perimeter within which she (and the other Exalted, if they're interested) can question her prisoners.
Azalea
 player, 171 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 20:37
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea wipes her brow with the back of her hand and inspects the gathered wounded.

Despite the mud, muck and grime of a battlefield and the blood, or worse, of the wounded, she is spotless. Perhaps just a minor trick, but certainly useful for morale; wounded men react better when their healer is not a bloody mess. Plus, it's more hygienic to begin with.


After making sure everyone present is at least stable, she heads towards Merlin and the officers.

"Was that it?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 682 posts
Sun 29 Jun 2014
at 22:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Vaniel sits up from where she was treating him and looks around. "It would seem so, m'Lady," he says, eyes widening a bit at the sight of Beatrix's prisoners.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 691 posts
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 02:54
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
As the soldiers return to near-full functionality thanks to the medical attentions of one of the most skilled healers in Creation (and doubtless spurred to act more energetic than they otherwise might by two beautiful women in their midst), Beatrix's prisoners gain quite the ring of guards, just in case she wants to relax her own watch over them a bit.

The hostility of the humans towards the beastmen is palpable enough that even these bravado-spewing, monstrous-looking creatures look obviously...nervous.
Merlin
 player, 407 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 15:16
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 67):

Merlin meanwhile goes out and about on the battle field making sure people are death and their riches are obtained. He has taken off his armor and is dressed in a cloak with the hood drawn.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 692 posts
Thu 17 Jul 2014
at 01:02
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The beastman corpses are picked clean of nearly everything of value; the nature of the battle's end, with no sally from the palisade save for Beatrix and Merlin's, left the survivors time to rummage through the property of the fallen. Still, scattered here and there are a few things which catch Merlin's more trained eye. Most in the form of lone silver dinars dropped or strewn far enough from an eye-catching body to be missed by the scavengers.
Merlin
 player, 408 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 17 Jul 2014
at 23:45
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 69):

Merlin returns with his findings for the Duke, reporting what he think was taken off the battlefield based on the number of enemy dead.

"It would seem that their raiding ways were with them even in retreat."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 694 posts
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 02:58
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The Duke rubs the bridge of his nose. "They are a rapacious, savage lot. Would that we could hunt them down and drive them from the region. But we should instead count our blessings that their terrible master does not sweep down to join their assaults on our fair kingdom."

Salf, for his part, keeps glancing impatiently Beatrix's direction. He asks Merlin, "When do we execute those beastmen? Why'd she want prisoners?"
Merlin
 player, 409 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 05:24
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 71):

Merlin smiles at him, "They have many uses, if just for slaves, but in this case I believe she is after information. Wisdom is obtaining knowledge and then using it."
Azalea
 player, 173 posts
Sat 19 Jul 2014
at 05:25
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea frowns slightly.

"No one is getting executed, I hope. We should not punish the rank and file for bad leadership."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 695 posts
Wed 23 Jul 2014
at 23:59
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Yeah," says one of the demons who built the palisade of fire. "We punish them for trying to steal our eye candy!" He slaps a hammer into his palm with a grinding clank.
Merlin
 player, 410 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 25 Jul 2014
at 20:58
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 74):

Merlin nods to Azalea and shakes his head at the demons, leaving them for the Lady to deal with. He heads off to a tent and gets some well deserved rest. The cares of the last few days drift away as he does himself.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 397 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 01:05
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix sits down in front of the captured beastmen in the area where they are being held. She takes a long, leisurely drink of water before she begins to speak. "So. I understand that you men of the tribes have developed a recent fondness for gold, and for the things that can be had with gold. That is well. I have developed a recent desire to know certain things about the goings-on within your tribes. I believe we can come to an agreement. You will tell me everything I want to know, to the best of your ability. If you do not know something, you will tell me of anyone you know who might. Do this, and not only will I allow you to live (as previously stated), but I will, if I am very happy with your answers, give you gold. The person who gives the most informative answers gets the most gold. Naturally," she says, waving the red-hot tip of her sword close enough to the noses of the beastmen for the heat to be felt, "if you refuse to answer I will still hurt you. But wouldn't you rather get what you want, instead?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 700 posts
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 01:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The prisoners snort and exchange glances that reveal the whites of their eyes. The light froth forming at the sides of their mouths betrays to any with a knowledge of animal husbandry that they are rather frightened. Still, an avaricious tone is in the wolf-headed one's voice as it yips, "What do you want to know?"

The goat seems to be trying to decide what to say, but nods in agreement with the wolf anyway.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 398 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 01:13
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Let's start with the people you are capturing. Where are you taking them? I presume you are selling them somewhere. Once you have the money from the sales, where does it go? Do you spend it at the same place, or somewhere else? Is there anyone to whom you owe a share?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 701 posts
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 02:48
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"We make regular tribute to Lord Ma-Ha-Suchi," says the wolf-headed one. The goat-headed one adds, "but the Nextrade Consortium pays well for extras. We don't give away money; we KEEP it," he finishes as if that were the most obvious thing in the world.

"It's not like we're short-changing Lord Ma-Ha-Suchi. Just showing..." he reaches for a word, which the wolf-headed one supplies, "--initiative!"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 399 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 29 Aug 2014
at 00:31
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"I see," says Beatrix hesitantly as she digests that. Knowing that the Nextrade Consortium is a problem player, she tries getting more information out of that, but eventually finds that the beastmen know nothing else of worth. She decides to pay them and send them on their way.

After they have left - it may take a bit of doing to convince the troops to let them leave alive - she turns to Merlin. "I'm sorry that took so long," she says, "But I had to be certain that they knew nothing more. And they were..." she sighs. "Slow, shall we say. Hopefully they move swifter than they think."

"If I'm right, and it should not be a difficult guess, they will next be going to wherever their contact is. They have money in their pockets and will seek to spend it. I believe their contact will be one or more representatives of the Nextrade Consortium, a trading group who departed Trademeet to begin operations in Nexus. I would like to know where they are. Would it be too much to ask that you follow them?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 706 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 22:53
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The beastmen do, indeed, head off, slinking away cautiously at first but becoming more animated even before getting out of earshot of the camp.

Ned, Hun, and Poe help Azalea with a second set of rounds, but the soldiers are mostly healed by now and are working on breaking camp to head back to the castle. Young Freverick is idling very busily between interacting with the other youngsters and hearing tales of Sir Vaniel's part in the fight. He seems to regret that he was unable to participate. His brother wouldn't have approved.

The little goat boy seems to be uneasy about this whole situation. "Did this drive off the beastmen forever, Miss Azalea?" he asks. "Are you and Mister Merlin and Miss LeSchaye done in Falan now? Do you think Mister Merlin would teach me how to defend myself?"
Azalea
 player, 175 posts
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 21:55
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Others might take note of those that were heavilly injured and are fine now, but Azalea is taking account of the dead, so she is wearing an abstractly sad expression. She does force a little smile when she's asked, though.

"I don't know. I think they'll stay away for a while, at least, but their leader wasn't here, which means his motives likely haven't changed. I don't know where we're going next, though.

As for Merlin teaching you, well, you don't lose anything from asking, do you? Come on."

And with that, she heads towards Merlin for Ned to ask what he needs.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 712 posts
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 02:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
It's been a couple of hours, long enough for a sleep cycle, when Beatrix is finished with her interrogations and Azalea and the others come looking for Merlin. They all arrive at about the same moment at the tent Merlin commandeered, just as he finishes waking from his nap.
Merlin
 player, 415 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 14:35
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The rings under his eyes, that nobody even knew about earlier, seem to have faded to mere smudges. Looking at all of them, "Oh my, all for me?"
Azalea
 player, 176 posts
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 05:09
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you.

Ned wanted to ask you something, though."
Merlin
 player, 416 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 04:31
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 85):

"Please do young son of the Duke," Merlin asks in an inviting tone. He leans forward to heard what the young prince would ask.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 713 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 22:44
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Ned peers nervously out from behind Azalea, his straw dome of a hat failing to be hidden behind her garb but concealing the chagrin on his face rather thoroughly. "I'm sorry, Mister Merlin, Sir. I'm just a goatherd. But, um. You were training that guard from Oredol in some martial arts, Sir, and I was wondering if maybe I could train with you, too? So I can protect my goats better, sir."

Salf, for his part, chuckles as he walks in. Resting a hand affectionately on the shorter boy's hat, the youth with the red eye - though it was starting to drain a bit, leaving the upper half white around the dark brown iris - added, "Though if I could learn some fundamentals from the man who slew so many beastmen so effortlessly, I, too, would be grateful."
Merlin
 player, 417 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 21:14
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 87):

"I think that a small class would be excellent. The students then have sparing partners, which is always useful."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 714 posts
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 00:32
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
And so Merlin began teaching a small class the ways of Martial Arts. When his duties to Beatrix didn't require him elsewhere, Hun joined in, as well. Poe seemed less interested. Freverick, the young patrician sibling to Sevastian, also seeks to join in.

The delegation from Trademeet was asked to stay a few days so that Duke Lothus could have a formal banquet to thank them for their prompt response; Watch Hill would need that long to recuperate from the unexpectedly difficult repulsion of the beastmen (in particular the demon attack). The Harrenhal leer regularly at Beatrix and Azalea, making what they likely think are innuendos, but with veils thinner than they wish the objects thereof were wearing.

For however long Merlin chooses to keep his class together, he finds it easiest to teach the young guardsman; there's just something familiar about it, as if both master and student know the questions the other will ask, whether rhetorical or not, as easily as they know the answers. Ned is an avid student, sticking at it with a dedication as firm as that with which he sought his goat when it was lost. He gets it wrong more often than most beginning students, and works best when partnered with Azalea or the twin princes. The princes, for their part, are mediocre students, having other duties and having more interest in hanging out with Hun, Freverick, Ned, and Azalea than learning. Still, they do follow instruction well, treating Merlin like an armsmaster, and they are a good influence on Freverick, keeping the boy engaged.


((OOC: Please describe what your characters do in the next 3-5 days while there's time to relax. If you wouldn't stay for it, also speak up; you can RP that out in your private rooms in the castle if you like. I just want an idea of what you're up to and whether you're staying for a bit or heading off somewhere immediately, please. I'll be starting a new thread shortly to move us on when I know whether you're sticking around here or have elsewhere to be.))

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:37, Sun 05 Oct 2014.

Azalea
 player, 177 posts
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 21:49
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea does participate in the martial arts classes, and with a peculiar level of interest - at least for someone so uninterested in war and combat as she seems to be. Then again, she does seem to favor defense and disabling tactics like throws or pins, rather than strikes.


During almost every other time, she is busy with medicine; examining the ill or wounded, making sure people recuperate properly, regathering spent supplies, and so on.


Of course, she also cooks for the small group of people she knows better, too, when she can, and those meals are often quite inventive, considering the ingredients at hand - who knew a sauce so tasty could be made with milk, flour and salt.
Merlin
 player, 418 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 22:34
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Merlin makes sure that the training times are in the morning or the evening, leaving himself about 8 hours in the middle of the day to do his own training and mediating. He has some fighting dummies make out of wood, to his specifications. These he uses for the students to practice on their own time.

Per+MA
17:31, Sat 11 Oct 2014: Merlin rolled 7 successes using 10d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 ((6,8,2,10,1,10,7,6,3,8)).