Battle at the Fire Pallisades   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 632 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Well, yeah," says the smaller demon.

"We was gonna give it t'ya but this stringbean got in the way!" adds the larger, taking the sword from the smaller one and holding it casually in one hand, hilt extended to Beatrix.

Sir Vaniel bites back a consternated "Stringbea--!?" by clearing his throat. He forces genteel tones and offers, "I merely did not wish you to awaken in this time of battle with...faces easily mistaken for those of recent foes, m'Lady. If these ruffians were to levy insult or injury to you, I would be remiss in my chivalric duty."

A beastman's bleat as it lunges over the wall and is repelled by pikes punctuates Vaniel's words, though for better or worse is best left to individual judgment.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 377 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:42
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Ah," says Beatrix. "I believe the ruffians will be on their best behavior for now. Perhaps we should focus our attention on other, more pressing matters?" She nods in the direction of the battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 633 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:48
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Vaniel's lip curls a little as he glances down at the demons, but he nonetheless bows. "You are correct, m'Lady. I suppose I can at least trust these two stalwarts to see you to safety," he states, with an impressive amount of implied threat in his tone should they fail in this duty.

The knight heads up to the palisade to help direct his own men and relieve some at one of the pike-holds, glancing back once or twice on his way.

"Psh-yeah," snort the demons. "Keep runnin, boyo," says the larger one. The smaller one adds, "As if we'd miss the brawl. Take your sword already, wouldja?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 378 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 13:45
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Certainly," replies Beatrix, examining it as she takes it in hand. Is that the light of the sun reflecting off the blade, or is that the blade? "I had no idea you were going to repair it. And I must thank you; it seemed damaged (and rather badly so) after the battle with the Forge, and I was unsure if it would last another battle or snap upon meeting the enemy. But this?" She hefts the blade appreciatively. "This is a blade one may have confidence in. Again, thank you," she offers, giving the demons each a grateful bow.
After looking it over, she levels it in the direction of the oncoming beastmen and issues a relaxed and casual declaration of "And now; charge" before striding confidently for the line and taking up a defensive spot in preparation for any forces that actually make it over the wall intact.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 634 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 16:44
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The demons look at each other, grin, and appreciatively watch Beatrix walk for a few moments before grabbing ill-fitting helms and handfuls of spears to advance on the wall.
Merlin
 player, 387 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 18:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 21):

Seeing the Beatrix is heading towards the wall Merlin falls in line with her and the two demons.

'One wonders if the mighty wonders of the first age were really the craftmanship of the exalted or merely their servants?'
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 379 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 31 Mar 2014
at 00:28
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Perhaps both?" responds Bea, testing her weapon's balance and then beginning to examine its edge. She stops before touching the blade itself, frowning. "Odd. It is quite hot."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 636 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 22:20
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The front lines are densely packed, and at least a few beastmen seem to be braving the flame-built walls, attempting to leap them or climb trees to fling spears and sling-stones down into the encampment.

Ned tries to stay back with Azalea, and mimic her defensive posture. He's not completely inept with his shepherd's crook, either; between the distance, his hat, and a couple lucky bats, he manages to keep sling-stones from hitting him too much.
Azalea
 player, 160 posts
Tue 8 Apr 2014
at 15:02
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

"Ack... this is... not ideal positioning."

She looks around for some cover and heads to it, taking Ned along.
Merlin
 player, 388 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 9 Apr 2014
at 21:50
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 25):

Merlin takes the opportunity to sling a couple of Chakrum at Beastmen that start climbing trees and using them to fling attacks past the walls. Those that chuck spears, get them returned, with interest.

'Most interesting. I wonder if the goat-headed man is really just an extraordinary wyld shaped mutant of uncommon skill? One would thing that a Lunar would be right up front slaying the mortals.....unless it is just testing us?'

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 637 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 00:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Why would he test us?" asks Salf, between breaths of exertion as he hefts a shield to block a crude axe before thrusting with a short spear at the beastman leaping the palisade at him.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 380 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 02:44
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"To see where we are weakest, that he may attack us there, perhaps," says Bea as she scales a rock to get a better view of the attackers, carefully weaving between some archers to do so. "oh, good shot," she murmurs to one as she goes.

She spends some time examining the leader of the raid; her eyes gleam briefly, or is that just her dramatically catching the light of the sun itself? Regardless, she spends some time looking on before returning to the line and saying to Merlin, "The good news, I suppose, is that this is not Ma-Ha-Suchi. He is too new to the possession of power and wealth, and the command of men; his is the manner of a successful upstart. He is likely a tribal warlord who has recently made good; he is wealthy now and is new to it. It is instead the sort of raid that the Duke and his men have become accustomed to dealing with."
Azalea
 player, 162 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 19:36
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea ponders with a small frown.

"I have heard of those wolf-goatmen. All references suggest they share the traits of both wolves and goats, and that includes traits beyond the physiological ones."

Her thoughtful frown deepens a little.

"Well, we know how wolves work. Pack mentality, alpha, territorial and exhaustion hunters, going for the weak.

But that's not enough to formulate a strategy. How do goats work?"

Then she blinks, and looks at Ned.

"Ned! You should know more than enough of that to let us formulate a more efficient strategy."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 640 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 04:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"I should!?" exclaims the goat-boy. "I mean--goats? They're... they like to think it's their idea, and they go along with the others. Wolves EAT goats. You hafta protect 'em when you're their goatherd. That's why they trust you. Does that help?" he asks, backing away slowly from any gazes that turn to him. He ducks his head, a small motion that brings his large round straw hat down dramatically, which is fortunate as a few slung stones bounce off it rather than hitting him. He yelps a little in startlement at the impacts, though.
Azalea
 player, 163 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 05:04
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea grows thoughtful for a bit.

"Hm. They personalize ideas, and something that's both wolf and goat is prone to temptation to consume itself. Interpolating for common mental motives, I think it should be viable to attempt to suggest blame for erroneous action to some of their forces, and see if they turn to each other."

She looks towards Merlin and Beatrix.

"After all, infighting in a pack is a sure way for it to crumble, and if the alpha is out, whether to injury or infighting, the hunt is over."
Merlin
 player, 390 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 12:22
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 31):

"It is not the leader of this band that is testing us. However, it is most likely the creator of the entire horde that is testing them. The goat-wolf-men are just to similar to each other for this to be some kind of naturally occurring subset of barbarian hordes. There should be a wide variety of looks, abilities, and mental conditions. The very lack of variety dictates somebody has been breeding them...."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 642 posts
Thu 17 Apr 2014
at 00:59
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Clavian intercepts a thrown hatchet with his shield, and stabs upward with is sword to ward off a beastman. "The breeding camps of Ma-Ha-Suchi are terrible to hear of," he grunts out between exertions. "It's one of the worst horrors known to await captives of these raids."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 384 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 20:42
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix nods to Azalea. "Then the alpha will just have to go. Merlin, since you may so freely laugh off the pull of Gaea, would you be so kind as to take flight and assail their leader from the air? I believe you should face little in the way of reprisal there, and your success would make our efforts much easier, I believe."
Merlin
 player, 392 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 23 Apr 2014
at 02:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 34):

Merlin shimmers and fades from view as he activates his armor's cloaking device. The blurred form flies off into the sky. Given his limited invisibility Merlin circles around behind the leader once he finds him and will attack him from the rear, initially, with a very well placed set of Chakrum. Hovering in mid-air to the rear and 100's of feet above his target he offers a prayer to the UCS, giving this kill to protect the citizens of creation, to the glory of his name. Diving comes down just over the tree line, all but undetectable as he brings forth the chakrums and launches them in a single attack.


OOC: Spending 5m to activate cloak for an hour.
21:00, Today: Merlin rolled 7 successes using 18d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Stealth Roll on way in to goatman.
Per+Awa test at dif 7 to detect Merlin as he moves in to attack. Augmenting with 1st MA Excellency +5 Dice, Air Dragon Form already gives +5 dice. Spending a WP to add Conviction (5) dice to the attack roll.
21:02, Today: Merlin rolled 16 successes using 25d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Attack Roll on Goatman leader.
-Goatman should have a DV of 0 from being attacked from behind, even if he does detect Merlin somehow, unless he uses charms/abilities to bring that up, of course.
Base Damage 7L.
Goatman defends against the 2 Chackrum as if it was 1 attack, but soaks damage from each separately. Feel free to roll the damage or tell me what to roll and I will describe him being cut into 3 pieces if you like ;-)

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 643 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 16:49
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The beastman leader has just finished bellowing orders which may be followed as much because "keep attacking" is just the general wont of the attacking horde as out of any sense of loyalty or even awareness thereof. It is mid-breath before another such bleat of commands that the dual chakram slice straight through him, ruining his wolf-hide head-dress and (perhaps more importantly to some) cutting him into three distinct, if uneven, pieces.

His corpse does not even appear surprised; he was probably dead before he knew he was attacked.

Goat- and wolf-men in the immediate area whip about to see what hit him, but apparently find nothing, and a couple immediately start head-butting over the disposition of the wolf pelt head-dress. Much further than immediate line-of-sight - which is limited in this forested area - and the creatures don't even seem to be aware of the loss of their leader in the immediate few seconds following.

The attacks continue, with one ingeniously cruel creature grabbing some of the fallen corpses and beginning to pile them up against the fire-wall. Though they smoulder, the sweat-damp fur and the internal bodily fluids make more of a horrific odor than they allow any actual ignition.
Azalea
 player, 164 posts
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 01:46
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Waits for Merlin to return with a report, taking a handkerchief to her nose in the meantime. Horrible stench is often encountered when dealing with illness, but the fact that it doesn't affect her doesn't make it pleasant.
Merlin
 player, 394 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Mon 5 May 2014
at 15:13
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 37):

Merlin swoops in and responds that the leader is dead. He then goes and starts laying waste to the beast-men using his feet to break necks and backs near the pile of fallen corpses. He uses the smoke as a means of hiding and then gliding back out to surprise a couple of new beast-men.


OOC: Not sure you even want dice rolls for extras.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 646 posts
Thu 8 May 2014
at 04:52
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Methius takes the report of the fallen leader and begins organizing his men for a sally.

Meanwhile, Merlin's devastating assault leaves more corpses than the clever beastman started with, but leaves them scattered about and on fire. Not an effective climbing platform any longer.

Though there seems to be some confusion in what semblance of ranks the marauders had, it is only making their attack slacken a little; they were hardly organized to begin with. Nonetheless, the fighting over fallen comrades' equipment and riches is beginning to take its toll. Still, they keep coming in waves, pounding the safe parts of the wall and spearing and stoning guardsmen with each approach. The humans, however, are slowly gaining a widening upper hand.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 385 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 10 May 2014
at 00:56
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix looks over the battlefield, seeing the lack of reaction to the death of the leader, and then the raising of a corpse-ladder by a beastman who clearly thinks he's moving on up, she puts two and two together and moves into action.

She strides up the flame wall, taking quick, light steps so as not to give the fire time to heat her soles through, and perches at last atop the meaty hand of the beastman who was piling bodies, pinning it to the wall beneath her. Once at a rest, she clears her throat. Then, adopting an exaggeratedly nonchalant air, she glances aside while she says, very loudly, "Oh, look, the beastman leader is dead. I wonder who gets first choice of the loot now?" With a shrug of her shoulders, she continues; "Oh, well, I'm sure they don't really care about captives or loot. But it's just a shame to think of it all going to someone else." And then, her work done, she steps back down.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 649 posts
Sun 18 May 2014
at 04:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
An odd ripple passes through the beastmen. Those nearest Beatrix are unaffected, as they're actively engaged in life-or-death struggles with men at arms on the fire palisades, but others pause briefly as her words register with the parts of their higher souls which register meaning and that meaning is passed to the parts of their lower souls which calculate greed.

Then about half of them fall into arguing and bickering, and another third start immediately looting their own fallen comrades.

The remaining ones keep pressing the attack, leaderlessness prompting them only to continue the savagery last commanded.