Battle at the Fire Pallisades   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Merlin
 player, 396 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 18 May 2014
at 23:28
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 41):

Merlin keeps doing what he has been doing and does so across the line where ever the defenses seem to be about to falter.

'This is the life! Then again, I would rather be fighting Fae or something else that wasn't really part of creation.'
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 651 posts
Mon 19 May 2014
at 04:01
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
With the numbers of actual attackers thinning, Merlin's assaults actually break holes in the offensive rather than merely shoring up the defenders. It isn't a route; there isn't enough organization to even spread the panic necessary for the mass retreat of that variety.

Instead, those who do retreat are fallen upon by their own allies as squabbles over loot and the possessions of casualties come into dispute.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 389 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 25 May 2014
at 03:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix continues to hold the line ably; while she is good with a sword, this is her first pitched battle and not what you could say to be something within her comfort zone.

Glancing over, she sees Merlin acquitting himself amazingly well, mowing down enemies by the score. "Remarkable how efficient he is," she thinks to herself. "And if I'm not wrong, he seems to actually be enjoying himself. Although I suppose there is a certain joy in any job well done, and with him on the front we are nearly to the point where--"

She comes to a realization and begins to think, nearly missing an attack directed at her in her distraction. But in a moment she calls out, hoping that at least Merlin hears her, "Try to leave at least one alive for capture!"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 655 posts
Sun 25 May 2014
at 15:48
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
As the battle thins at the palisade, Azalea's trained healer's eye can start to pick out more and more of the fallen. Sadly, not all of them are bestial in countenance; a good number of humans are dead or dying of wounds, and some have slumped over on the fire-wall itself. Those are universally in the former category.

The beastmen seem to be still paying some attention to Beatrix's words, as well, as after her call, a few pull nets out of bags or off of themselves (or fallen comrades). If they can't win this fight, they might at least take a few prisoners. While Beatrix is watching a bit for Merlin's next strike, she notices a tangle of weighted rope flying in her direction!
Merlin
 player, 397 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 25 May 2014
at 20:13
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 45):

Merlin takes a moment to survey what is going on, leaving a couple of beastmen thinking that the other hit the other.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 390 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 26 May 2014
at 03:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix's long, slender ears twitch as something catches her attention; "Hullo, that sounds like a net being thrown," she thinks, and turns just in time to see that there is, indeed, a net being cast her way, and to take action to deal with it. To wit; she proceeded to set herself, and then to make two lightning-swift and brilliantly accurate strokes with her saber, which had the effect of cutting the net into inoffensive fragments which sailed merrily past her and did not manage to inconvenience anyone.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 659 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 02:36
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Merlin notices, from his higher vantage, that amongst the casualties are Sirs Methius and Vaniel. From this distance, his medical training can't be certain, but they don't seem dead...yet. They might be if the beastmen pressing at the bulwark nearest their two disparate positions get through, however. Sir Clavien still leads the bulk of his men in defending a third point, and the Duke and his son are manning yet a fourth stolidly.
Azalea
 player, 166 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 18:53
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Still ignorant of the potential medical emergency, Azalea remains behind cover, trying to make sure any injured nearby also make it behind cover and to safety.
Merlin
 player, 398 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 29 May 2014
at 23:01
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 49):

Merlin goes and gently picks up Methius first and takes him to the feet of Azalea as fast as he can. He does a follow up trip with Sir Vaniel.

"They need help."

He then goes to bolster those areas which need it keeping an eye out for ranged attackers that can get to the Duke.
Azalea
 player, 167 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 03:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

She blinks at the emergency delivery service, but that moment is over quickly and she sets to doing what she can.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 660 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 04:03
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The Knights' injuries are serious, but not life-threatening with proper care, which Azalea is more than capable of providing. They're definitely going to need some rest after this battle, however. Mercifully, there is no risk of lost limbs, though Vaniel's lung has collapsed, likely due to the armor caved in over his right breast.
Azalea
 player, 168 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 17:41
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea makes sure to carefully remove the breastplate before restoring the lung - a little bit of essence for this task, as it can grow to be life threatening even if it's not at first - but she is glad no limbs are missing. Even though she's perfectly capable at regrowing lost limbs, she'd rather not need to; it is certain to cause overwhelming reactions.

Other than that, she continues with quick but mundane treatment. You never know when essence might be necessary in open battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 662 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 01:39
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Before too much longer, the remains of the beastman attack are too busy fighting over their own fallen comrades' possessions to be much threat; those who would not retreat from the wall of solid flames lie dead before it, and the humans can begin picking up their wounded and dead.

"It's over," says Salf, covering one eyes and peering with the red-clouded one into a distance none others can see. "They're retreating, Father."

"Good," says the duke, quietly, before raising his sword in the air and shouting, "We've won!"

This announcement brings a responding cheer from the men. It is surprisingly hearty for how many are wounded, dead, and still weak from their recent recovery. A testament, along with the many wounded who are looking to survive when they normally wouldn't, to Azalea's skills.

(OOC: Perception+Awareness checks from everyone, please.)
Azalea
 player, 169 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 12:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
As soon as the fighting seems to be over - or at the very least, the spear- and rock-throwing, Azalea moves back out of cover and towards the front lines. Getting to those critically injured in time is all that stands between life and death.

(( 15:40, Today: Azalea rolled 2 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Awareness. ))
Merlin
 player, 399 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 31 May 2014
at 13:55
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 55):

Merlin is making sure that there will be not surprises by gliding around looking for them. He seems some what distracted by the looting as he, being what he is, is making sure nothing really good is getting away.

08:54, Today: Merlin rolled 3 successes using 9d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+Awa.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 664 posts
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 01:17
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Merlin's practiced eye does notice that among the more common jewelry fought over by the retreating beastmen are necklaces made of metal thread strung with obols for beads. Not too many, but enough that several scuffles have broken out over different ones that apparently belonged to now-dead beastmen.

As Beatrix ventures out into the corpse-laden battlefield, she notices four still-living ones lying near each other. Unfortunately, she only realizes too late that they're lying in a relatively inept attempt at ambush, rather than due to being casualties.

They spring to their feet, along with one she failed to notice was still breathing as she passed him, and spears flash from two in order to herd her into the suddenly-flying nets the other three toss in a wide spread, hoping to cut her off and tangle her weapon!

((OOC: Coordinated attack! Your DV is at a -5 penalty!))
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 391 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 02:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix retreats back and then to the side away from the attackers; her sword glows with Essence as she begins striking rapidly against her attacker's weapons, narrowly managing to come out unscathed. Once done she is facing her attackers more or less head-on, a disappointed look on her face.

"And here," she says, "I'd been looking for excuses to leave you alive."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 668 posts
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 03:19
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Don't worry," says a smaller one with more goat than wolf about him, "We'll keep you alive, too. You'll fetch a good price!"

A larger one hits him with the butt of his spear. "No! This one's for tribute! The rewards'll be higher for one THIS delicious."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 392 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 03:00
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix shakes her head pityingly. "Oh, no, no. I am afraid you do not understand the situation into which you have been placed." With a flash, she wheels around, tumbling and spinning while her blade arcs through the air, killing the three beastmen who had thus far been silent with neat, precise strokes.

As they fall to the ground, she turns back to the two talkative beastmen, her features stern and the light of the sun beginning to radiate from her, and while her blade glows hot in apparent sympathy, there is ice in her words. "You are not in control here; I am. You are not taking me anywhere; you are coming with me. You will answer all of my questions, and how satisfied I am with the completeness of the information you give me will determine whether or not I kill you. Do you understand?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 674 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 22:04
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The larger remaining beastman exchanges a wide-eyed glance with the smaller one, and they both snort, backing away slightly and lowering their heads in either defensiveness or obeisance. "Yes. We understand," they say in clipped tones with a hint of a canine whimper.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 393 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 16:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix nods curtly. "And it is well that you do. Come with me. We are leaving the battle behind for now." And so she heads out to get some distance from the fighting with her new captives; as she goes she is paying keen attention for any threats that come at her or her charges.
Merlin
 player, 402 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 12:16
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg # 62):

Merlin does what is necessary to keep the men, specifically the Duke and princes, alive for the remainder of the battle.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 680 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 00:26
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Within the hour, the beastmen who are still present are either dead or one of the two Beatrix has taken prisoner. Azalea has gotten the wounded stabilized (and most of them nearly fully healed), and Duke Lothus and Prince Deen are surveying the battlefield and bolstering the post-battle morale of their men.

In the meantime, Beatrix has a small contingent of Sir Methius's men at arms to form a perimeter within which she (and the other Exalted, if they're interested) can question her prisoners.
Azalea
 player, 171 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 20:37
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea wipes her brow with the back of her hand and inspects the gathered wounded.

Despite the mud, muck and grime of a battlefield and the blood, or worse, of the wounded, she is spotless. Perhaps just a minor trick, but certainly useful for morale; wounded men react better when their healer is not a bloody mess. Plus, it's more hygienic to begin with.


After making sure everyone present is at least stable, she heads towards Merlin and the officers.

"Was that it?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 682 posts
Sun 29 Jun 2014
at 22:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Sir Vaniel sits up from where she was treating him and looks around. "It would seem so, m'Lady," he says, eyes widening a bit at the sight of Beatrix's prisoners.