Battle at the Fire Pallisades   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 625 posts
Mon 24 Mar 2014
at 12:46
Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Azalea finds that delegation is relatively easy, once she's given treatment to those most poisoned by the Blood of the Forge's essence. Men are used to running triage, and seeing to the comfort of those still recovering is demanding but not necessarily in need of fully-trained healers' personal attention. Ned is a real trooper, despite yawning rather dramatically (and trying to hide it) by the time the sun has crept its way over the horizon. The other soldiers - the ones least in need of rest - are grateful to be of some use, helping their comrades-in-arms and providing Azalea as much comfort as they can spare while helping her keep upright; she's won more than a few men's eternal gratitude for her help.

The camp, by the time the crisp, clear morning is fully arrived (with only a few clouds dotting the sky), is eerily lit and warmed by the walls of solidified fire.

Merlin is the first to spot the incoming screen line of forward troops for the beastman army, though their lack of subtlety makes it easy for the lookouts to spy them, as well. The monsters will be here in under an hour; everybody is to be roust from their rest.

Beatrix is awakened by the sound of arguing outside her tent.
Merlin
 player, 382 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 00:11
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 1):

Merlin hopefully got at least an hour of sleep and if he didn't goes off to get at least a nap of some sort. He makes sure to report in once they are sighted, but having been at this for more than a day with heavy combat and constant movement is kinda of telling. Once he is awake from his nap, he will do some scouting upon the flanks of the enemy to make sure they are really their flanks. He compliments the demons work in front of them, though, at some point.
Azalea
 player, 155 posts
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 04:41
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

Azalea slept for however little she could afford, but is up with everyone else, although she has informed she can do very little other than tend the injured in a battle.

To keep herself awake until something happens, she seems to be performing some kind of very basic kata from some sort of indescript soft martial arts, although it looks more like she tries to emulate something she's seen or heard of, rather than know precisely what she's doing.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 626 posts
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 17:35
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Finding time to catch a couple hours of sleep is possible, but not trivial. Fortunately, as Azalea's work progressed, more and more able-bodied men-at-arms were available for more and more of the grunt work. The Duke insisted his Knights and the prince get plenty of rest; he, himself, is now dead on his feet.

A few of the men-at-arms, despite Azalea's claims, insist on showing her at least how to hold a pike and a few moves meant to keep an enemy at a distance. Ned, despite heroic efforts to hold back yawns, joins in; he uses his herding crook, though, as the pikes are too long for him.

When Merlin flies out once more, he see's the advancing raiding force spreading out a bit. Those really are the beastmen's flanks; this isn't the most disciplined raiding force Merlin's ever seen, and what order there is extends mostly to the reach of the (now almost-as-tired as the Exalted) leader in the wolf-skin head-piece.

The almost eerie, teeth-grinding sounds of whuffling and snorting that indicate the beastmen advance has spotted the palisades finally arrive. When they do, they swiftly rise in volume to a surprisingly thin battle-call as the "forward screens" hurl themselves into the fray rather than turning back to report to the main bulk of the force. Perhaps they're not screens at all, but just the fastest of the raiders getting ahead of everyone else.

If anybody wasn't up yet, the blood-curdling bleating of a goat-man leaping over the palisade only to be impaled by raised pikes quickly solves that. The two or three that try to climb the fire-walls hiss and howl in pain as their flesh sears where they touch it.

And like the first drops of rain, these small handfuls become an increasing stream as the cries excite the two-legged beasts still some distance off, and they begin to converge.
Merlin
 player, 383 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 01:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 4):

Merlin reports back to the Duke or the Duke's most able commander at this point. His is not the most military of minds and gives as detailed a report as he possible can, including any essence usage he saw through his visors. He shudders to think what will happen if the ancient Lunar is really amongst those about to attack. A small voice in the back of his mind tells him that his chances of surviving don't seem so good if that is the case. He prepares himself none of the less for he and the Lady LaSchaye would be all the would stand between the Beast and the total decimation of the Duke's forces and eventually this part of creation.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 627 posts
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 14:07
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Though his Essence Lenses help him see in the dark, they unfortunately do not give him the same vision as storied Twilights' All-Encompassing Sorcerers' Sight. That makes it all the more unusual that a significant number of the beastmen, many of whom are acting with more erratic frenzy as they charge, glitter with some sort of luminous after-image in his sight.

One or two pockets of combat have broken out in their own ranks, even.

If the ancient Lunar in question is with the army, he's not yet made himself known as such. The obvious leader appears mighty, but has yet to exhibit any clearly essence-enhanced capabilities.
Azalea
 player, 156 posts
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 05:57
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

As the first attackers approach, the situation strikes home. A battlefield. She never thought she'd be in the front lines of one, let alone so soon.

She sighs a little and remains behind the front line of defenders, but she seems unsure where exactly she should be.

Looking at Ned, she offers a small smile that is likely intended to be reassuring.
"I think you should get the little ones and get somewhere safer."
Merlin
 player, 384 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 23:39
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 7):

Merlin waits for orders or suggestions from somebody in charge before flying off to do his own thing. Unless there looks like there is going to be some kind of breach of the defenses. If that looks imminent then he will leap into action there using all of his normal abilities to kill the enemy.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 628 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 00:46
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Ned looks up to Azalea. "Where's 'safer?'" he asks.

The palisade is holding remarkably well; the shape utilizes the terrain to funnel the beastmen into decent killing-grounds, and the fire from which most of it is constructed keeps them off the walls themselves.
Azalea
 player, 157 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 07:12
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades

She looks around, then sighs.

"On a distant mountain, I suppose. You're right, I don't know. Just... stay a little back from the front lines, I guess?"
Merlin
 player, 385 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 12:18
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
In reply to Azalea (msg # 10):

Merlin looks around to see what Beatrix is doing. If she heads off to fight the goat-leader then he will follow her.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 374 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 01:43
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix pokes her head out of the tent, blinking her eyes blearily and grumbling something that might be a question as to the source of the argument. Alas, a tragically slow riser is our Beatrix, and she does not grasp that the situation is at all problematic until an awful sound catches her attention and she glances over to see goatmen quickly becoming roast-mutton-on-a-spit-men, at which point she only narrowly avoids the loss of her last meal.
Slapping her long, pointed ears (which seems to have the effect of jarring her more fully into wakefulness), she reaches for her sword...
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 629 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:08
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
The argument is surprisingly civil considering that it is between the dwarf-demons and Sir Vaniel. The only drawn weapon is one remarkably familiar to Beatrix, once she realizes that it is not, in fact, on her hip where it should be. And it's only being used to gesticulate angrily. As it moves, it catches and reflects the rising sun's light in every direction.

It seems there's some disagreement over who should wake Beatrix up, or if she should be left to sleep and be guarded by valiant soldiers.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 375 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:50
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
Beatrix considers the situation briefly before simply clearing her throat and saying, "Gentlemen?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 631 posts
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 05:58
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Where?" ask the two demons simultaneously, while the knight straightens up and looks to Beatrix just a little embarassed.

"Yes, m'Lady?" is Sir Vaniel's slightly stiff response.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 376 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 30 Mar 2014
at 06:00
Re: Battle at the Fire Pallisades
"Is that my sword," asks Bea, having managed to assume her usual composure by this point, "and if so, may I have it back? It would appear that there may be some use for it at the moment."