Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 417 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 19:26
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"Well!" Beatrix says with an unusually chipper tone. "Perhaps this would be a good place and time to make camp for the evening?" Perhaps, despite all her business savvy, nobody ever warned her about strangers with food.

Extending her hand to the mysterious stranger with the tempting food, she says, "Greetings and well met, madam. I am Beatrix LeSchaye; How may I call you?"
Azalea
 player, 185 posts
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 20:35
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Azalea comes to the clearing behind the two, smiling.


"Hello. This smells wonderful indeed."
Peddles
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2015
at 21:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
The young lady smiles broadly and giggles lightly.  Setting her bowl down,she wriggles free of her enormous pack and spreads her arms and hands wide and empty before you, before giving an exagerrated bow.

In Riverspeak, she says "I am called Peddles, for that is my trade," she says.  "I am pleased to share with you, and humbly beg that you neither rob nor abuse a friendly traveler."

She pauses a moment, then adds, "But if you are offering script, I will be glad to have it, to the degree my offerings please you!"

Hesitantly, she clasps hands with Beatrix.
Austringer
 player, 52 posts
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 00:38
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"And most people call me 'Austringer,' for that is my trade," he says.  "Um ... if it isn't too forward of me to ask ... what brings you way out here, to these Dragons-forsaken woods?"  Austringer glances at Silent Thunder Leaves from the corner of his eye.  "You do know beastmen and more terrible things prowl these woods, yes?"
Peddles
 player, 3 posts
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 20:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Peddles regards Austringer warmly.  "Beast men and more terrible things?  I certainly hope so!"  She begins taking more bowls out of her pack.  "If the gods abd Dragons favor me, they will find tradin with me easier and less painful than raiding villages."

She thinks a moment while spooning up meals for everyone.  "If not, then I hope I'm tasty!"  She grins at her joke.

Looking over the group of travellers, she says, "You all seem to have found strength in numbers.  Let me see; no uniforms, so not scouts.  Polite, so not bandits.  Wealthy, so not exiles..."  She furrows her brow in thought.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 739 posts
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 23:49
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
The woman in the forest-green hooded cape sniffs the air appreciatively. "What is it you hope to trade, and to trade for, with the beastmen?" she asks, attempting to sound disinterested when she really sounds extremely suspicious.
Peddles
 player, 4 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 11:43
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Peddles grins.

With practiced flourishes, as if by magic, she begins to produce an unlikely sample set of goods from her pack via various hidden pouches and openings.  These she arranges on the ground before her in an aesthetic display:

Hunting Gear, such as self bows with fowling arrows.  Fishing gear, such as lines and nets.  Filled water and wine skins.  Cord and bandages.  Toys and dolls.

"Everything one could hope to need to produce a happy and peaceful society", she says after a few moments, bowing and spreading her hands.  It is a gross exaggeration, but the principle applies to the selection, if not the quantity of goods.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 740 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 13:05
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Unable to hide her surprise, the woman's eyes narrow suspiciously as she asks with poorly-feined nonchalance, "Those are very fine items for these parts. Civilization's wares are hard to come by. What do you hope to get from the Beastmen? Are you trading for slaves?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 418 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 14:59
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"That is a relevant question, Silent Thunder Leaves," offers Beatrice while already purchasing food because mmmm, food.

"What is it that brings a traveling merchant out all this way? The area is dangerous, as of late. There is a certain tension brewing, you see," she advises, while handing over a full dinar - probably far more than the food is worth, but she doesn't seem to mind.
Peddles
 player, 5 posts
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 05:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Peddles chuckles.  "Slaves?  My pack isn't THAT big.  Although..."

She ponders a moment.

"If I buy fewer slaves than I sell camping gear, I could free them afterward and give them gear to make it home with.  Once they made it back to their villages, that would be wonderful advertising!  That's a great idea!"

She dishes Silent Thunder Leaves an extra helping of stew, beaming.  "Thank you!"

She gratefully accepts the dinar from Beatrix, clasping her hands respectfully and bowing low.  She pauses a moment to retrieve some especially nice utensils for her use.

"You have noticed the quality of my wares.  That is precisely because I travel so far and wide, learning what I can about distant cultures.  I am industrious, and if that has earned me a few scars, then so be it."

"As to a 'certain tension', I have heard something about that.  Perhaps you could tell me more?  If it is likely to endanger my dear friends, like Duke Lothus, I'd like to help in dispelling whatever it is."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:39, Wed 15 July 2015.

Merlin
 player, 441 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 16 Jul 2015
at 14:39
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Peddles (msg # 33):

"The beast-men are out marauding. A group of them were just defeated in a major battle."
Peddles
 player, 6 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 17:11
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Peddles absorbs the information with a sober nod.  "Aren't you guys afraid of being marauded?  If so, I would be willing to take you under my wing.  I am an experienced traveler and could do much to help keep you safe."

She then smirks.

"Of course, I would need recompense for my expenses in doing so."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 419 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 03:19
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow. "As it happens, we ourselves have proven fairly resistant to marauding. However, if you are sincere in your offer to play bodyguard while we venture into the Wolf's Den to parley with Ma-Ha Suchi, and if you are confident in your ability to do battle with what we may encounter there, then I should be delighted to retain your services. If you are not confident in your ability to do battle there, but are willing to come along, then I should instead be delighted to retain your services as a chef. If you are not willing to go there, then I would advise you to make haste away from this part of the East, to safeguard yourself against the unhappy chance that the Wolf finds what we have to say objectionable."

After a pause, she adds "This is very good soup."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 741 posts
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 03:23
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Silent Thunder Leaves bristles for a moment, but then shrugs, as if hefting a weight off her shoulders. "That is between you and Ma Ha Suchi," she says, eating some more of the soup. Her compliment of it is how fast she devours it and the way she holds out the bowl for more.
Merlin
 player, 442 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 03:27
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Merlin smiles and reiterates the compliment on the soup, but looks at the woman critically with his enhanced senses.

OOC: Perception+Awareness Roll with Air Dragon Sight augmenting:
22:26, Today: Merlin rolled 9 successes using 13d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+Awa.

Peddles
 player, 7 posts
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 12:19
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Peddles scrambles to serve everyone quickly and cheerfully.  "If you can get me an audience with the leader of the local beast men, then I shall be most grateful. It would make working out a trade deal much easier!  I can accompany you, and we can try to protect each other from any undeserved marauding.  I will gladly be your chef, in return for my expenses."

She looks thoughtful for a moment.

"I cannot confidently do battle with foes I do not know, but I will act to preserve my customer base.  May I assume you do not currently intend to harm or anger this person?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 742 posts
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 22:21
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"Leader of the 'local' Beastmen," snorts the green-cloaked woman. "Sure. They'll be doing that."
Merlin
 player, 443 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 22:25
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 40):

"Negotiate. I doubt lasting harm would be possible."

He smiles, "I was wondering what hair grooming product you might use to give your locks such fascinating coloring?"
Peddles
 player, 8 posts
Thu 6 Aug 2015
at 13:00
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Merlin (msg # 41):

Peddles blushes, looking both mortified and happily surprised.

She ducks her head, her face and hair disappearing beneath the wide brim of her oversized hat.  "It's uh, natural."

However, she recovers quickly, although she does begin to peek at Merlin more speculatively with her one visible eye.  "But if you want some hair coloring for your betrothed, I am confident I can find you some!"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 420 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 11 Aug 2015
at 20:30
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Beatrix shares a bemused look with Silent Thunder Leaves over the 'local' comment before turning back to Peddles.

"No, we hope that there will be no violence there. However, you never know what may happen, and while I will strive for the best, I would like to prepare for the worst as well. You are provisionally hired, pending further negotiations at a later time. But for now, you may resume flirting."
Merlin
 player, 444 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 12 Aug 2015
at 13:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Peddles (msg # 42):

Merlin had been looking at Peddles, thinking of Lunar and their 'tells', when Beatrix's comment snaps him out of that line of thought. He looks over at Beatrix, then back at Peddles and does a little of his own blushing.

"Ummm, there is no betrothed....currently."
Peddles
 player, 9 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 23:17
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"F-flirting!?  Th-that would be unseemly.  I am sworn to my beloved, despite the lonely distance between us."

She busies herself by rummaging inside her pack, her cheeks reddening once more.  "I was just presuming that such a handsome gentleman had no interest in dying his own locks."

She glances at Beatrix.  "Moreover, what man could look at such as I when you are present?"  Her voice carries both wonder and a hint of mild jealousy.

"In any case, I am quite pleased to travel and work with you all.  This will be interesing!"

She produces a small red cake, wrapped in bandages, resembling a smooth rock.  The bandages are stained a mildly disturbing crimson.  "Is this the dye?"  She sniffs at it, uncertain.
Merlin
 player, 445 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 23:41
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
There is a twinkle in Merlin's eye.

"Interesting indeed Trader Peddles."

Merlin sets up his own tent and then crawls in to have a good night sleep.
Peddles
 player, 10 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2015
at 14:31
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Merlin (msg # 46):

Peddles shrugs at the small red stone/cake, carefully rewraps it and stows it away.  She then pulls camping gear out of her backpack and follows Merlin's example (after pouring any leftover stew out a good distance from the camping area).

Just before bedding down, she will go to wherever Beatrix is preparing to sleep, bearing a small stuffed doll.  She will squat/kneel a short distance away from her sleeping area, proffering it with a bowed head.

"To being friends?"  She asks, enthusiastically but respectfully.

She places the doll carefully on the ground, saying, "As young ladies travelling in the company of men, we should have a private conversation at your convenience.  Girl stuff, you know?"   Then she backs away and goes to her tent.
Austringer
 player, 53 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 23:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
During the conversation, Austringer has surreptitiously examined Peddles, looking for Tells or anything else unusual (aside from the bright red hair).  It seems unlikely that another Lunar would be in the Wolf's domain without Silent Thunder Leaves' knowing, but one can never be too careful.

((Austringer rolled 5 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7.  Per+Awa.  If this had been an actual Lunar, there would've been a +2 MDV adjustment against the Tell for "looking for Lunars."))

As the party begins to retire, Austringer remains awake so long as Silent Thunder Leaves does, keeping an eye on her without, hopefully, being too obvious about it.  He's particularly interested in the Full Moon's reaction (if any) to Peddles' comment about "girl stuff" (assuming both could hear it).

This message was last edited by the player at 23:21, Tue 25 Aug 2015.