Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 726 posts
Mon 4 May 2015
at 17:20
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Silent Thunder Leaves, having shed her disguise as a humble serving-woman, was ready to depart the moment everybody arrived. In an almost surprisingly accommodating way, she did not complain about having to travel on foot thanks to Beatrix and Azalea's lack of aerial capability. The pace she set was brisk, heading north by northwest straight through farm fields unless called upon to utilize the roads.

Unless somebody deliberately woke them, the children (Hun, Poe, Freverick, Ned, any collected princes) were not on Silent Thunder Leaves's list of people upon whom to wait, and very likely the much-reduced party made its departure much earlier than any of them were awake. Sevastian, for his part, stayed behind to look after his brother and Beatrix's young attendants (who doubtless will be quite offended at being left behind).

Thus, even taking roadways rather than the Lunar guide's favored direct route, as the dawn breaks in the east, the edge of civilization gives way to light forests. It is then that Silent Thunder Leaves attempts an uncharacteristic bit of...politeness? "Thank you," she says perfunctorily. A few seconds later, long enough for it to become uncomfortable but not quite long enough to demand somebody else fill the silence, she continues, "for coming. This will make my task complete. It has been trying."
Azalea
 player, 181 posts
Mon 4 May 2015
at 20:34
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Azalea doesn't seem disturbed about the early departure. In fact, she seems well prepared, and in fact in a pretty good mood.


She does seem a little puzzled about the task, but she doesn't inquire. Yet. It's quite possible someone will explain more in time, so she just follows in silence.
Austringer
 player, 49 posts
Wed 13 May 2015
at 01:22
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Austringer masters himself before he can respond to the other Lunar's comment with an acid retort.  Instead, he strives to remain vigilant to protect the others, especially the obviously noncombatant Azalea.  Their oricalcum artifacts confirm his suspicions that they are Solars.  While he knows Lawgivers are no slouches in dangerous situations, Austringer also suspects he has a much clearer sense of the little party's danger than any of his companions.  Every modern Silver Pact Lunar has heard stories about the Nameless Lair of Ma-Ha-Suchi.  The wild and sometimes unbelievable details vary, but few of those stories end happily for trespassers.

He tries not to think at all about what he might do if the Wolf turns out to be the one who slaughtered most of the people he grew up with-- he can't let that stand, but he knows he can't survive a throwdown against a competent, if deranged, Elder, either.

"How much further do we need to travel?" he asks in what he hopes is an even, sensible voice.  He has been wondering.  The Goat-Wolf doesn't seem like the type to simply meet a potential rival Exalt by himself in a clearing in some ordinary woodland.  The whole situation feels more and more unnerving as they draw further north and west.

Somewhere beneath his fingers, Austringer feels his feathers itch.  Walking at the back of the group, where he can keep an eye on everyone, he surreptitiously scans Silent Thunder Leaves and the surrounding trees and brush carefully for danger ... or any sign of anything out of the ordinary.

((OOC: This is either PER+Awareness or PER+Survival, but the number of dice is the same for Austringer regardless.  21:20, Tue 12 May 2015: Austringer rolled 6 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 ((10,4,7,9,10)).  If there's anything proceeding surreptitiously through the woods or even anything odd going on with STL, I imagine he sees it!))
Merlin
 player, 436 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Wed 13 May 2015
at 23:28
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Austringer (msg # 3):

And equally uncharacteristic for Merlin, usually, "Your welcome."

He does his best to stay walking as well, although he is tempted to take flight or at least leap into the trees almost as much as his Lunar companions. His eyes flicker from and there.

OOC: Every half hour or so, he will put up Air Dragon's Sight and concentrate for a minute or so, then catch back up with the others.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 727 posts
Wed 13 May 2015
at 23:34
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
The rising sun's light casts extremely long shadows in the woodland, and Silent Thunder Leaves replies almost cordially to Austringer's question with, "At this pace, several weeks. The Lair is many leagues north of here." Unusually, given her normal impatience, she doesn't seem to mind.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 414 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 14 May 2015
at 04:46
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Beatrix sketches a bow for Silent Thunder Leaves. "I had noticed the task was beginning to take its toll upon you, and am happy to oblige you in this manner. I've also dealt with intolerable jobs, and would not wish them upon others."

Before leaving, Beatrix spoke to the kids, and also to Azalea; she filled the healer in on what's up as she had Merlin and Austringer, and made the same offer; if she doesn't want to go on this dangerous, dangerous mission, she can stay behind. She was relieved that Azalea was coming along, however.

She has also spent some time talking to the brooding Lunar. She's certainly asking about what her life under Ma-Ha-Suchi is like; she's probably trying to assess what she can of the wolf's forces from what Leaves knows; she could also be trying to ingratiate the party to her. It is sometimes difficult to be sure.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 729 posts
Mon 18 May 2015
at 02:16
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"It is not work with which I am comfortable," agrees the Lunar woman. "Hunting truth is not at all like hunting game." She strides through the thickening woods with well-practiced ease, definitely more cheerful than anyone present has ever seen her. Her scowl is reduced to a firmly professional press of her lips to each other, and doesn't even touch her eyes!

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 05:00, Tue 19 May 2015.

Azalea
 player, 182 posts
Mon 18 May 2015
at 16:54
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Azalea nods to Beatrix's explanations. She does get a crease on her brow for a bit, but she doesn't seem to hesitate about following; her smile returns before too long.


"...we do have a plan of approach, I hope?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 730 posts
Wed 20 May 2015
at 02:57
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"I'll lead you there," replies Silent Thunder Leaves, perhaps answering the wrong question.
Merlin
 player, 438 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Sat 23 May 2015
at 03:36
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
In reply to Segev Stormlord (msg # 9):

"Perhaps she is suggesting that we have a plan for what we want when we get there.....should we survive."

Merlin keeps an eye out on the underbrush and such.
Azalea
 player, 183 posts
Sat 23 May 2015
at 19:54
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

She nods.


"And, ideally, survival should be part of said plan."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 731 posts
Wed 27 May 2015
at 00:49
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Silent Thunder Leaves snorts at that.
Austringer
 player, 50 posts
Thu 28 May 2015
at 00:52
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"Survival is a foundation of the Silver Way," Austringer says sententiously (and somewhat meaninglessly), trying to calm things down so that Beatrix's questioning can proceed unobtrusively.  Being the voice of reason is a new experience for him, and he's not sure he likes it.

As he glances at a fox in the underbrush, he says, in what he hopes is a casual tone, "No, hunting truth definitely isn't like hunting game ... How did you, a Full Moon, come to this task in the first place?  I would think your master has plenty of Changing Moons and others in his service to handle this kind of work."

If she's unwilling to be forthcoming to Lady LeSchaye, maybe that will draw her into revealing something about the Goat-Wolf's forces, or at least what goes on at the Nameless Lair.  Even with all the pressures on him, Austringer can't help a certain curiosity, too.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:02, Sun 31 May 2015.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 732 posts
Thu 28 May 2015
at 02:34
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
The Lunar - smaller-seeming when she's not bristling - snorts with almost juvenile disdain, "Only three, but they sure are more than plenty...except when they're needed." She sidesteps a sinkhole and glides through the narrowing path for just long enough that it almost seemed a response was required before continuing, "But they're all doing something else. One's in Nexus, trying to placate the Praying Matron, one is on some pointless errand that keeps him on the Blessed Isle, and one... I don't know where she is. He just told me she was," and here Silent Thunder Leaves's voice gets mock-gravelly, presumably immitating Ma-Ha-Suchi, "'occupied.'"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 415 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 11 Jun 2015
at 03:26
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Beatrix chuckles at Leave's imitation. "Is that really what he sounds like?" she asks, sounding amused. "Really? And to give such an unhelpful answer to someone right before sending them on an important mission." She tsks at the thought.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 733 posts
Sat 20 Jun 2015
at 16:36
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
"It's need-to-know," she replies after an uncomfortable silence. She's going for brusque and business-like, but it doesn't take an expert at reading people to recognize that Beatrix has hit a sore point in Silent Thunder Leaves's pride.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 735 posts
Thu 25 Jun 2015
at 02:03
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
((OOC: Also, if people would roll me a perception+awareness or perception+survival check, I would appreciate it.))
Azalea
 player, 184 posts
Fri 26 Jun 2015
at 16:51
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

(( 19:50, Today: Azalea rolled 7 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Perc + Survival.  ))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 736 posts
Sat 27 Jun 2015
at 05:32
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
After traveling for days and days (Merlin, in particular, knows he could have covered much more ground than this on his own), Silent Thunder Leaves suddenly tenses, then visibly forces herself to pretend to relax.
Austringer
 player, 51 posts
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 23:24
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
((OOC: 19:24, Sun 28 June 2015: Austringer rolled 4 successes using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 ((8,6,1,4,10,7)).))
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 416 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 01:56
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Beatrix sniffs the air, and her ears perk up. "Someone is cooking up ahead. And it smells delightful."
Peddles
 player, 1 post
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 07:28
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
     Your noses lead you in the direction of a very homey, hearty smell; some kind of thick hot vegetable broth of the kind that would complement beef very nicely.

     Once you clear a rise, you find a wide, shallow bowl of a clearing before you.  At first, all you see in the grassy circle is a ridiculously huge green and brown backpack sitting next to a largish cookpot sustained by a wood fire. Then, with a distant tinkling, the backpack shifts and moves as if alive.  It raises a few inches off of the ground and turns, and then you see a small tanned woman somehow managing to wear and move the pack; she is cooking the delicious-smelling meal.

     She is a little shorter than the average woman, but her build is difficult to determine; she is swaddled in voluminous green and yellow robes and what appears to be bandages.  There seem to be a few locks of red hair visible beneath the wide brim of her hat.  Her feet and hands are covered in oversized soft leather gloves and boots.

     The more paranoid of you notice that she is armed with a self bow, left strung and draped over her shoulders.  Hanging from her various straps and chains, she also has a visible hatchet and dagger.  The fletching of arrows occasionally peeks from slits in her oversized clothing.

     She seems relaxed and cheerful, singing some old folk song in a young clear voice as she begins to spoon up the food for herself, and retrieves an expensive-looking jug of wine from the pack.  Curiously, she seems to have cooked much more than she can likely eat by herself.
Merlin
 player, 439 posts
 If you knew he
 would have to kill you
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 22:12
Re: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Merlin activates Air Dragon Sight and then clears his throat to let the woman know that they are there, if she did not already.

"Whatever it is you are cooking, I have script to buy a meal...."