PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow.   Posted by Gwindel Sverger.Group: archive 0
Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 319 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:37
PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

... I figured I'd communicate here.

Gwindel definitely wants to figure out who this is, but he doesn't want to give away too much about himself.  He's not used to this, though: while lying and deceit is a part of his everyday life as a Helghast, he's never had to try and figure out the machinations of his master.  Such is the realm of the Nadziranim.  Helghasts are bred for loyalty and it is only because Gwindel is unsure if this is his master that he has even thought to be cautious.

"Torygan has arrived," he intones, mentally, seeking to gauge the reaction on the other end of the connection.
The Wildlands
 moderator, 104 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:42
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: ...since it is only you and Arkan!

Gwindel has the mental image of a swamp giak. It takes a moment to realise that this is nothing to do with what's going on, this is simply an insult being thrown at him. After all, he is attempting to 'speak' at the other person instead of share thoughts, and is otherwise shutting off his mind. There are some tinges of certainty, as if whatever is communicating already knew that Torygan had arrived, and did not need to be told. Another reason for the insulting image coming through.

The yawning void gets colder and more insistant. Whatever is on the other side wishes to know what Gwindel is doing here. The image of the void threatens to intrude in to Gwindel's actual viusion, and the chill starts to be a physicaly ache in his head. Something is actively clawing at his mind.


OOC: Roll for a check against your Mindveil, add 2 for your rank in it!
Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 320 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:42
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

You rolled 7 using 1d10+2


Gwindel growled deep in the back of his throat.  He decided to try another tactic.  He sent back an image this time, of the Knight from Sommerlund.  He accompanied it with an image of Torygan bound and then, lastly, of the mage getting shot (he wasn't sure why he included this... maybe it had been ripped from him).
The Wildlands
 moderator, 105 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:43
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

Gwindel finds it difficult but the intrusion is kept from his mind, perhaps temporarily kept out of the way by his offered images.

The void pauses for a moment, though again there is the obviously feeling that Gwindel is telling the void things it already knows. It at least feels amused by the vision of the skewered mage.

The image of Torygan and the Knight were again placed back in to Gwindel's mind, looking slightly different - Gwindel could not figure out why - and Gwindel was in the picture, looking as he supposed he must do right now.

The void was not sucking anymore, it was a burning sun that was pushing him away with light.

Meanwhile, despite the distraction Gwindel was ensuring he knew if those he was burdened with were coming towards him. They did not seem to be, but he was sure he could hear their voices raised for some reason..



OOC: Heh, not saying it's not wise to be cautious, just nice to see that evil is at odds as much as the good guys!

Gwindel will find it hard to mindshare while putting up barriers, so apparently he is being remidned of his duties and told to get out of here.

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 321 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:44
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

Gwindel sent one more image, though he wasn't sure if it made it past the barrier.  It was an image of the Keep.  He wanted to include a depiction of its various defenses, but it was too difficult to concentrate with the barrier and the noises growing closer.  He only managed to send an image of the Keep's basement, which he had long suspected of containing a secret passage out of the fortress.  Then he broke the connection with a hiss of relief and placed the Obsidian back into his bag.

He looked around, trying to remember who he was.  Was he a dwarf who had just had a nightmare?  Or was he an agent of his dark master, wearing a disguise in service to Nhorg?

A moment later, he called out, in a voice he wasn't sure was his own,

"What's th'matter, lads?"

GM: okay, maybe not the smartest move, calling out, but he's totally disoriented right now.  I'm ready to go back to the main thread, if you'll do the honors of leading me in.
edgtheowson
 GM, 940 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 07:44
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: Not a problem. Post the bottom in the main thread, just mention it's a disembodied voice, and Gwindel sounds far off :)

The hit and run doens't let any more mental images or emotions seep back before the connection is disconnected, except perhaps a little bit of pleasure at the basement lay out.

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 322 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:32
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will get that giak on the horse in any way I can.  Arkan has given me too good a chance to pass up.  As soon as we are out of ear-and-eyeshot, Gwindel will tell the giak that he has something to show him, proof of his friendship.  I think transforming is not a good idea and too costly in WP for the effect it would give, but I can show the giak the obsidian block.  He should understand that, right?  Now if he doesn't, I may have to drop the disguise briefly.

If the giak trusts Gwindel, then Gwindel has a plan.....

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:33, Sun 09 Oct 2011.

The Wildlands
 moderator, 106 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:33
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: The giak will not understand being asked to ride on the horse, and your horse will have no love of it and be skittish of it being close. And no, you horse has not been trained to accept Darkspawn to ride on it, it's a dwarf horse. Unless you really want to allow me to retcon perception checks to all the rest regarding the oddly subdued and broken or oddly aggressive and evil Drakkarim-like mount Gwindel rides :p


In the Wildlands...


As soon as Gwindel knows he is left alone, and as soon as he realised the giak is just being unco-operative and doens't understand about getting on the damn horse, the 'dwarf' shows the obsidian block.

The giaks eyes seem to raise at the obviously Darklands created item, although it does not seem to instantly provoke understanding.

However, that was not the issue. Not a moment after Gwindel touched the item, he received another stabof mindforce similar to that before Except, of course, last time he had been expecting contact, and had not been focused with irritation upon a giak.


OOC: The distraction and unexpected nature just explains why Hwindel wouldn#t have instantly had defenses up. You should roll 1d10+2 (or actually 1d10+1) as before against the intrusion to Gwindel's mind.

Also let me know what else Gwindel might have been doing in relation to the giak before this.

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 323 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:34
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

So my roll was 8+2= 10 (You rolled 10 using 1d10+2 ((8)).  This time, though, Gwindel is not as interested in blocking his thoughts.  He's slowly become convinced that Nhorg is speaking to him, or trying to, and he doesn't want to block his thoughts unless it seems prudent that he should i.e. he is being attacked by the other end or he senses this isn't Nhorg!

If the giak wouldn't get on the horse, Gwindel would try to get it to walk ahead of him while he rides, using as much foul giak speak and meaningful gestures with the rifle as he can.

His plan, really, is to figure out what the giak is doing here and what his orders are.  If he refuses to tell Gwindel, I'll probably drop the disguise and use fear to wring it out of him.  If he simply doesn't know anything, Gwindel will have to decide whether he can be put to use inside the Keep.  Probably, Gwindel would like to get him in the keep and later free him, hoping he'll cause some confusion if nothing else.  But he'll also be wary of the giak revealing him, or of others speaking to the giak.  He may let him free or he may kill him.

It really depends on what the giak's mission is and whether he'll share that mission with Gwindel.

The Wildlands
 moderator, 107 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:38
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

Gwindel managed to react quickly the initial attack, blocking any psychic shock. However then he lowered his defenses to allow his contact to share his most intimate thoughts and questions.

The giak - whom Gwindel had been forced to simply move around through gun gestures to walk swiftly ahead, stopped and looked back to Gwindel's discomfort without care. Since the giak could have used the shock for an opportunity to attack, this was possibly a good thing.

There was a feeling as if being swallowed by a wide mouth, and then it passed. The external satisfaction of the contact seemed to be altered to something else when Gwindel's mind was understood.

"IT'S MISSION IS TO HELP YOU!" came a voice, smashing at Gwindel's psyche but once more not able to inflict any damage. There was a crowded image of an army of Szall surroundign and attackign the keep, and then the Szall were all dead and lying on the ground instead. There was an image of Drakkar and Vordak and Giak hiding under the bodies, standing as if there were deep, deep pits in to the earth.

The mental imagery did not, of course, have to be based in the real world.

Memories of Gwindel himself were thrown back at the Helghast, where he had jokes about the Vordak, where he had identified the Giak arrow fired, where he had led the merceneries this way and even shot the giak.

The memories had an unpleasant and angry emotion behind them. Five angry crows flew off on angry red wings, a dead szall waved its black arrow at Gwindel because an angry giak was actually holding the creature up and manipulating it.

"Get back to the human keep! Take the giak, take its tongue to keep it silent. Let it do its task when you need it to. And you do yours! No wonder the Sommlending did not fall when we were forced to help spawn your kind!"


Gwindel realised there was a voice in his head. Not his master though. However, the comment regarding helping spawn the Helghast seemed to put the voice as something powerful. Probably one of the dark nadiranim. Nhorg's own were as mysterious as the Darlork himself. Gwindel had certainly never been addressed by one directly, nor seen anything but hints of them in Nhorg's domain.

And Gwindel realise that an actual voice meant one thing. He looked up, and found a crow far in the sky, almost over his head. The obsidian block could tranfer vague thoughts for hundreds of miles. But not explicit thoughts. Certainly not voices. No, for him to hear the dark voice, a voice not belonging to his ultimate master, that meant the owner was close. Very close.



OOC: So there you go. You can actually ask for details of how it will be helping you take Torygan, though you might find the Nadziran will be a little loathe to share them with Gwindel since Gwindel has done everything in his power to throw huge light on all the stuff that should have been secret :D

I did warn you being closer to the GM's side would be spoilery. So sad, I'm goign for the double bluff, so all this mysterious stuff resolves to Darklands creatures playing silly buggers.

Then again, if I can't use it in a fun, fresh and sinister way to make the basics be respected again, then I have no business runnign a game in the first place :D

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 324 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:38
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

Gwindel had been alive for thousands of years.  Most of those years had been spent in Nhorg's own fortress, or in Helgedad under the Darklord Vashna.  Those years were blurs of memory.  He had been one of many, hardly more than an extension of Nhorg's own thoughts and desires.

But now he was on his own.  And he had to be careful if he was to serve to his utmost.

"WHEN?" was the only thought he sent back.  The Nadziranim would not want him asking too many questions.  This question would show obedience; an eagerness to serve.  When would the attack come... Gwindel would work out the rest.
The Wildlands
 moderator, 108 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:40
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

"When you need," hissed the voice in his head, perhaps sensing the acquiescence. "My eyes are reduced, and my hands are being forced," it said with reproach. "You will need to make your need...obvious. Or take advantage if events unfold quicker than intended. The night will bring cover to work. By then at most is all you have."

There was a pause, as if the voice was considering something. "Do not let their dead be wasted. Nor attended."

And then the presence in Gwindel's mind was gone.


OOC: And now you have more information, finally, with which to be a dick to everyone else :D Welcome to the party.
Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 325 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:40
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

What has the giak's reaction/position been to all this?  Is it aware of what has just gone on?

edgtheowson
 GM, 949 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:41
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: Nope, it's all in Gwindel's head, the giak has just docily stood around. Obviously Gwindel must have some presence, since it hasn't tried to take advantage to attack.
Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 326 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:42
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

"Alright," Gwindel will say in Giak to the giak (appropriately).  "We have work to do."

Gwindel will explain as clearly as he can that the giak is going to be released now.  It has to gather whatever forces are waiting beyond the keep and make the attack at nightfall.  The gates will be open for them.

If possible, Gwindel will cut off his own finger and give it to the giak in its rotted, Helghast, form.  A sign that it should use to inspire the others to follow the orders Gwindel is giving it.

It will also help give him cover when he returns to the keep, not to mention access to the healer's quarters.  He needs to ensure that whatever sickness is probably passing through the keep remains rampant and decidedly uncured.

Yes, all is coming together now.  A lot of things for Gwindel to do today... I still must talk to Torygan and that damned Knight.

edgtheowson
 GM, 950 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:44
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: The giak seems to be perfectly happy to accept your orders, ready to rush off, though you can hack off a finger first if you wish :)
Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 327 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:46
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow
Gwindel will definitely give it the finger (so to speak).  He will also impress on the Giak that he will know if he has obeyed him or not (this is a lie).  He will do this by....

Gwindel grabbed the giak's head suddenly and brought the massive jaws near to his own face.  He shoved the longest finger of his right hand inside the giak's face and gave a succint order:

"Bite." He growled, prepared to slam the giak's mouth close himself if disobeyed.

The next command was "spit."

The finger that landed in his now bloody dwarven hand was quickly losing its magical connection to his disguise.  As the giak drooled red blood from its jaws, the finger curled in on itself, withering and decaying into grey flesh and yellowed nail.  The blood dripping from the giak's jaws turned black.

Gwindel placed the finger in the giak's hand.  "I know what you do.  I know where you go.  I know what you speak.  You show this and others will listen.  You tell them one of Vashna's children is at the Keep."

"And you do not fail me."

Rolls for this final intimidation: pffff... a 2

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:48, Sun 09 Oct 2011.

The Wildlands
 moderator, 109 posts
 Bordering on
 Sommerlund
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:46
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

The Giak did not seem particularly impressed with the transformation, nor the gesture. However, these creatures had been trained to obey powerful leaders. As long as someone dominant did not try to interfer, then it would apparently obey.

Gwindel had to hope the painful token the Giak possessed was enough to convince any other dominant leaders being assembled that Gwindel's orders should be obeyed.

Afetr all, it sounded as if the gathering forces were ebing assembled merely as a distraction for his own mission.


OOC: Eeew. Yet cool. Must remember to make these proper threads visible to all at the end of the game. So such actions can be kept for posterity :D

Ok, so because Gwindel has a horse, and because not much time has passed, then he can charge back to the keep and catch up with the group pretty much slotting back in (Gwindel will be spotted in the next main thread post or two).

Alternatively, you can go back to Arkan with whatever story you wish.

Or, of course, you might have some secret plan to conduct.

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 328 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:47
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

I wish I did have some secret plan!  If Arkan was alone, I'd be off to murder him.... hmmmm... how many mercenaries did he take with him?  Maybe I should have brought the army out a little early for a trial run.

Nah, having missed that trick, I think I'll head back to the keep unless there's something Gwindel knows as a character that I don't as a player that could be used to better prepare for tonight's treachery?  Gwindel's plan is to get the gates open this night, so anything he might know that helps him with that...

... right now I've got many plans.  Does Gwindel have access to any poison?

edgtheowson
 GM, 951 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:49
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: Nah, you guys are pretty much synced in your cluelessness/clued-in-ness now :D It's probably obvious as a player and as a character that the keep is not filled with Sommerlund's best. All have a reason to be at the arse end of Sommerlund, effectively. Whether that means some have exploitable foibles, or whether some have deep secrets that could complicate matters, IU'll leave you btoh to find out :D

Obviously, you can still try the 'run for Holmgard/nah, not really' plan, though Gwindel has been on a knifeedge of staying on the good side of the keep commanders!


No, sorry, Gwindel has no poison. Whether that means he has no access to poison is another matter. One of the characters might have some (you have a keep filled with soldiers of questionable morals and abilities, one might want poison just incase for his weapon) and who knows what a weird apothecary might have.


Anyway, ask more stuff if you need and play any private beats of Gwindel here, I'll probably have Gwindel visible tomorrow - assuming he would ride hard back to the keep?

Gwindel Sverger
 NPC, 329 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:49
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

I think, barring some knowledge of a secret entrance into the keep, Gwindel is good for now.  I've got a lot of possibilities in my head, following are some...


1) be admitted to the healer's ward and check on the bodies for signs of "disease" hinted at by the Nadziranim.

2) use the injury as an excuse to question Torygan, alone

3) gain access to adgana and slip it to the captain of the keep, taking him (probably) out of commision

4) throw a party (really!) with the bor brew he has remaining and get everyone drunk and unprepared for the finale

5) declare he needs to be on his way and when I get to the gates that evening, take so long in getting my goods prepared that the gates are effectively opened when the monsters come.  This one pretty much involves blowing my cover, because Gwindel would turn on the gate guards to ensure they don't lower the gate and may even blow a powder keg near the gates to further damage them.

6) Take on the appearance of Torygan and lead an escape into the wildnerness (this is my favorite plan) where the armies will be vulnerable to attack and then I can disguise myself as a survivor and get back inside.


Number 6 is really the plan I want to enact at some point tonight.  It just seems so fun and such a dastardly use of character ability.  I'd also have a ball of a time playing in Torygan's skin.

Anyway, um... let's see... oh yeah, I was wondering if Gwindel knows or was given an image of where the attack will come from tonight.  That will help if he's to lead anyone into an ambush.  If not, I'll have to send a signal via obsidian later on of where he's going and hope they come to him.

FOr now, back to the keep post haste!  I want to get there before Arkan and spread some dissent.

edgtheowson
 GM, 952 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:50
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC: Good to have options! And yes, it might be very funny having two Torygans runnign around.

Gwindel won't know exactly where the attack will be coming form, though  the Nadziran seemed pleased to get Gwindel's recollections of all of the keep. So you might suspect the front door, while a convenient first point of attack, is not going to be the only point.


Also: getting the whole keep drunk, that seems like a fun idea too!

edgtheowson
 GM, 953 posts
 Dreamweaver
 Deceiver
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 11:51
Re: PART 1B: A Murderer's Crow

OOC:I'll give Knud a chance to spot Gwindel riding onwards, butotherwise I sort of want everyone at least in the keep and settled before the next disturbance. It's getting a bottle neck and everyone's jammed in with everyone else. Fine for players, but too many NPCs in the way that have no  right being in the way!


Have you looked at the keep thread and seen the basic lay out of the keep? And more in depth questions you want to ask, given you are wanting to plan lots of kung-fun trechery?


PM questions save me a normal update, I reckon :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:51, Sun 09 Oct 2011.