Chapter 1: Echoes of a Shattered Past.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:32
Echoes of a Shattered Past...
Shadows lie across the land as the last rays of sunlight retreat behind the mountains. The mist and dark of night begin to set in. Three riders make their way through the forest, cloaks pulled tightly around them.

In the distance an owl hoots, and their horses snort uneasily.

Suddenly there is a groan just off the track to the left...

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:16, Fri 03 May 2013.

Nod the Minstrel
 player, 22 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:35
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"What was that?" one of the riders hisses to his companions as they draw their horses to a halt. He glances around the forest uneasily.

"Come on, we need to keep moving if we want to get to Lastorn before it's too dark..."
Varonil the Merchant
 player, 1 post
 What do you mean I look
 like Prince Marabir?
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:37
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
The rider next to him dismounts, glancing back at his companion.

"Fear not, Nod, we have time. Wait here if you will, I shall investigate." With that he turns and heads off into the forest.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:12, Fri 13 July 2012.

Nod the Minstrel
 player, 23 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:38
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
Nod glances guiltily at his third companion.

"Aerendir, I guess one of us should follow Varonil..."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:15, Fri 13 July 2012.

Aerendir
 GM, 5 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:50
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"Indeed."

With that, Aerendir dismounts his horse. Passing the reigns to Nod, he sets off into the forest after Varonil. He moves swiftly enough to catch up to the merchant but his eyes are keen as they search the forest.

"Varonil?" he calls, as he moves through the dimly lit paths beneath the trees.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:52, Tue 10 July 2012.

Varonil the Merchant
 player, 2 posts
 What do you mean I look
 like Prince Marabir?
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 02:11
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"Over here," Varonil replies from the bushes to his left. He is bending over something. As Aerendir moves closer he notices it is the body of a man. He appears to be middle aged, and his brown hair is matted and bloodied. He wears a leather tunic and a dagger lies on the ground beside him.

"He's passed out," Varonil says, glancing up at Aerendir, "he seems to have been stabbed," he gestures to a gash on the man's side. "I'd say a long knife of some kind. Someone who knew what they were doing," he shakes his head grimly. "Just before he passed out he mumbled something. It sounded like 'Garden Crypt'. Don't ask me what it means."

Aerendir notices the orange sunlight glinting off something in the grass a few feet away.

OOC: Varonil the Merchant rolled 23 using 1d20+5. Heal Check on Injured Man.
Aerendir rolled 15 using 1d20+10. Spot Check.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:10, Tue 10 July 2012.

Aerendir
 GM, 6 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 02:19
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"Interesting that you would say so. I would have guessed the one who struck to be unused to such actions-- most who are skilled with daggers are more precise. And their injuries are more," he spares a pointed glance for the alive figure, "permanant. But I admit my knowledge in such areas is limited."

He walks over to the path of glinting grass and bends down.
Narrator
 GM, 11 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 03:15
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
Stooping down, Aerendir notices what appears to be another dagger. This dagger is more richly adorned than the simple one which lay next to the man. Each side of the guard of the dagger is formed in the shape of a dragon's wing. One a deep, sea blue, the other an emerald green. The hilt is covered in a worn black leather but he notices that the pommel is missing. There is a hollow slot in the bottom of the hilt where the pommel sat.

Despite the dagger's rich adornment, the blade itself is noched and rusted, and the weapon appears to have been discarded. A pouch of trail food, a waterskin and several other miscellaneous items lie scattered on the ground at his feet.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:20, Fri 13 July 2012.

Aerendir
 GM, 7 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 04:43
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"Interesting. Varonil," he says, picking it up and rising, "What is this? Do you recognise the ensignia?"
Varonil the Merchant
 player, 3 posts
 What do you mean I look
 like Prince Marabir?
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 05:34
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
Varonil rises and examines the dagger.

"Interesting indeed," he says as he runs a finger along the guard, "This dragon resembles the Crest of the ancient Caladorm line. It is possibly a ceremonial dagger, given the extravagance. Where did you find it?"

OOC: Varonil the Merchant rolled 24 using 1d20+9. Knowledge (N&R) Check on Dagger.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:43, Tue 10 July 2012.

Aerendir
 GM, 8 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 05:40
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
"On the ground. In the dirt over there with what look to be the man's posessions," Aerendir says, gesturing to the pile of scattered belongings.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:47, Tue 10 July 2012.

Varonil the Merchant
 player, 4 posts
 What do you mean I look
 like Prince Marabir?
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 05:51
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
A howl sounds in the distance. Varonil glances at the rapidly darkening sky.

"It's late, we must return to the horses."

He bends down and lifts the body of the man.

"Come, let us go."
Narrator
 GM, 12 posts
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 05:53
Re: Echoes of a Shattered Past...
They make their way through the trees and soon they can make out Nod up ahead, squinting into the gloom.