Howard's Quest.   Posted by The Keeper.Group: 0
Howard Lampton
 player, 109 posts
 Noted Author
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 11:23
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard Lampton rolled 6 using 1d100. for Spot Hidden 35.
The Keeper
 GM, 502 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 12:11
Re: Howard's Quest
After a short drive down Tottenham Ct. Rd., the cab pulled up to Goodge St. Station. It was painted red with doors leading to the "entry" lift on the left, and doors for the "exit" lift on the right. Between them was a door into the station building itself.

At that time, Howard noticed two cars that were following them, packed to the brim with grim-faced dark-skinned fellows. They were about five cars behind them, one after the other. The traffic was slowed in front of the tube station, but in about ten-fifteen seconds the road would clear enough for the pursuers to pull up behind them.

The red-painted brick station was to the left.

"Right, guvner, that'll be five pence for the ride."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G..._Street_tube_station

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:07, Sat 30 June 2012.

Howard Lampton
 player, 110 posts
 Noted Author
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 13:08
Re: Howard's Quest
[Howard actually wanted the train station to board the next train to Southampton to board his ship.]

"No, driver, I want Waterloo Station, please. Do hurry."
The Keeper
 GM, 503 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 12:54
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard Lampton:
"No, driver, I want Waterloo Station, please. Do hurry."


"Cor, blimey if you ain't right! My apologies, guv'. Right sorry, I am! Right away, ten minutes at the outside." He clicked down the meter again, continuing the fare.

As the driver pulled away from the kerb, one of the pursuing cars tried to pull out to the right into the lanes more to the centre, perhaps to get ahead of them, but failed and was stuck behind a truck. The other one managed to dart around two cars, then get in behind the cab and speed up as if to ram from behind...

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:05, Mon 02 July 2012.

Howard Lampton
 player, 111 posts
 Noted Author
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 16:31
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard opens his valise and takes hold of his revolver.
The Keeper
 GM, 506 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 00:09
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 25):

The car behind them sped up and rammed them from behind, making contact with the Vauxhall's rear bumper.

"Bloody 'ell!" exclaimed the driver, slamming on the brakes. "Are you orright, guv'ner? Bloody maniac, 'E was!" Setting the brake, he opened the driver's door, starting to get out.

Behind them, three dark-skinned men jumped out the car jammed against their rear bumper and rushed towards them.
Howard Lampton
 player, 112 posts
 Noted Author
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 03:20
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard abandons the valise and exits the cab on the opposite side to the driver, angling toward the sidewalk. He keeps his revolver inconspicuously tucked down by his leg, amid the tails of his mackintosh. He runs back in the direction from which they had come.

If any of his pursuers gets within about ten feet of him, he will shoot.

[They must keep cars full of guys lined up along the curb just waiting to go after anyone who shows up without an appointment. Must be hell on door-to-door salesmen! =P ]

This message was last edited by the player at 10:44, Tue 03 July 2012.

The Keeper
 GM, 509 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 04:41
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 27):

Keeper's note:

Well, I imagine the discussion went like, "only a fool would go back to the Institute now, but who knows what we're dealing with? Take a few men, wait in back by the loading dock and if someone comes in acting strange, deal with them. Be on the lookout for people matching this description... even with a disguise, there's a chance he would be recognised walking into the lion's den!

Tactically speaking, there is a car behind you, and one behind and to the right. In England, the driver is on the right side. If Howard gets out on the driver's side and runs back, he will basically run into them if they get out.

This is the course you want?

At the very least, give me a Luck check to see if there is a Copper around. If you succeed, there is.


   |      _
_"
 " _
 _
  
T | _ u | |"|T |=| T b | |_| | |r e | |"| | |u | |_| | |c S | 1 |___|k t | |"| n | |_| | _ 2
 "
 _
  

T = Taxi
1 = Pursuing Car #1
2 = Pursuing Car #2

Tony

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:02, Tue 03 July 2012.

Howard Lampton
 player, 113 posts
 Noted Author
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 10:43
Re: Howard's Quest
I had assumed we were going 'south' and the taxi pulled into the curb on the driver's side so that getting out on that side put Lampton on the sidewalk. I'll edit my post to have him exit on the left, but he does run back the way they came. That makes it very difficult for them to pursue in their cars.

Howard Lampton rolled 59 for Luck 65.

The Keeper
 GM, 512 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 13:04
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 29):

Ah, I don't know if you are quite grasping this, but running back the way you came will lead Howard directly between the pursuing cars as they were behind him (that is, back the way you came).

Perhaps this corrected map will clarify things, although relative positions are basically unchanged.


Howard Lampton
 player, 114 posts
 Noted Author
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 15:57
Re: Howard's Quest
Yes, exactly. Run past them and they cannot pursue me in the cars. Howard only has to get past one cultist on the left side of the left-most car and then it's a footrace.

Maybe the cop and the cabdriver will tie up a couple more and two will have to stay with the cars or abandon them. It should cut down the odds quite a bit.

And if Howard can flag down another cab, he drives away, leaving them on foot.

Worth a try.
The Keeper
 GM, 515 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 09:43
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 31):

GM Note: Okay, let the chips fall where they may!


"Hey, you! Look at that damage, you sodding wog bastard, just look at it, eh?" The driver, apoplectic, pointed at his rear bumper. He grabbed at one of the men as he pushed by him.

Deciding against getting out the driver's side, Howard opened the passenger-side door and exited onto the sidewalk, sprinting back the way he came. Three men jumped out of the second car, rushing along with the other three to intercept him whichever way he proceeded.

A woman had been advancing to give her witness to the event and her eyes met Howard's. Her glance flickered down, eyes widening as she saw the Webley Bulldog and realised he was armed. Recoiling from him in fright she screamed, "Dear Lord save us! He has a pistol!"

The nearest man went in to grab Howard, so he spun and shot at him with his revolver. The bullet struck the man in the chest, and he stumbled and fell forward as his legs gave out. The remaining five men seemed determined to press on towards him, while Howard dimly heard a shrill police whistle sounding from across the street and heard, "HALT, I say! In the name of the law!"



GM Note: Howard didn't get as far as one might hope as the man was already basically within 10 feet. Howard had to stop and shoot (or else make an unaimed shot) and while this didn't take a lot of time, it did take some time, which allowed the others to get around the rear of the car.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:45, Wed 04 July 2012.

Howard Lampton
 player, 115 posts
 Noted Author
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 11:21
Re: Howard's Quest
[This is fine.]

Howard puts his back to the wall and brandishes his weapon, prepared to shoot the first that comes within ten feet.

"Get back, you diseased curs of the filthy sewer," he growls in Arabic.

[He will fire unaimed shots at the closest two, if two or more rush him at once, since the pointblank benefit will largely offset the unaimed shot penalty. When the policeman arrives he will surrender his weapon and submit to arrest.

Are the men armed?]

This message was last edited by the player at 13:20, Wed 04 July 2012.

The Keeper
 GM, 520 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 12:36
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 33):

People scattered at the sound of the first gunshot and the screamed warning.

Hopping over the ignored body of their fallen comrade, the attackers were men possessed with some kind of other-worldly fervor, eyes bright with a divine or perhaps Satanic madness. As they ran they all drew clubs sporting a wicked iron spike sprouting from the tip.

They ignored the revolver pointed directly at them, as well as the shouted curse in what Howard naturally assumed was their native tongue.

Howard's first shot went wide, as did his second. The assassins moved in, swinging their clubs at him. He avoided most of the blows, although on did score a glancing hit on his shoulder (-2 HP). Howard unloaded his weapon at them, firing again and again, he believed at least one bullet struck home but couldn't be sure. The fifth man, no longer encumbered by the driver, moved in and struck at his head like a cobra, and he wasn't able to dodge away in time (-7).

Bright stars exploded behind his eyes and then everything went dark...

Keeper's Note: You can get in a last post as Howard goes unconscious, but his quest is now ended. My apologies!

As a house rule, I allow most repeater firearms (except single action) to empty the magazine or all chambers during "panic shooting". In this case I assume Howard will be going down in a blaze of glory, or at least fighting desperately for his life. His point blank to-hit is 100%, and 1/5 of that is 20%, so he hit only once with rolls of:

05:06, Today: The Keeper, on behalf of Howard Lampton, rolled 53 using 1d100.
05:06, Today: The Keeper, on behalf of Howard Lampton, rolled 19 using 1d100.
05:05, Today: The Keeper, on behalf of Howard Lampton, rolled 73 using 1d100.
05:05, Today: The Keeper, on behalf of Howard Lampton, rolled 32 using 1d100.
05:05, Today: The Keeper, on behalf of Howard Lampton, rolled 63 using 1d100.

I allowed Howard to get in all his shots, although he technically would be rendered unconscious (took 7HP damage, reduced to 2HP) after the first two shots.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:40, Thu 05 July 2012.

Howard Lampton
 player, 116 posts
 Noted Author
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 15:05
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard hears the now-empty revolver clatter across the pavement. His world seems to be spinning in three dimensions as blackness replaces the pain and every other sensation.

Then... nothing.

[No apologies necessary.

Pity he didn't get at least one of his primary targets and that the goon squad was quite so 'on the spot.'

He is carrying his passport, so should be identified pretty readily.

Ave atque vale, Howard.]

The Keeper
 GM, 522 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 15:36
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 35):

Slowly, Howard became aware that he was lying down, in a dark room. It was quiet, peaceful. Howard knew he was himself but didn't know where he was, and his memory seemed hazy as to how he got here. In fact, it all seemed perfectly muddled, something about gunfire, violence and pain, but now the pain was gone.

There was a tunnel stretching away from him. At the end was a bright light. Other than that, this place contained nothing but darkness.
Francis Simmons
 NPC, 24 posts
 Faithful Manservant
 Baltimore Native
Wed 11 Jul 2012
at 16:38
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard heard a familiar voice, as if from afar... speaking to him...

"Mister Lampton.... you gotta get up, now! This ain't foolin' around, sir, this is serious! You gotta snap out of it! There's no time to be sleepin' in, you hear me? Wake up!"
Howard Lampton
 player, 117 posts
 Noted Author
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 11:18
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard licked his dry lips and opened his gummed-together eyelids, thankful for the dim light. His head felt like it was stuffed with old rags and throbbed; the left side ached abominably.

Very slowly he sorted out his extremities, determining where they were damaged and whether they were restrained. All his movements were slow and subtle.
The Keeper
 GM, 548 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 09:05
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 38):

Slowly, consciousness returned. Along with it, a throbbing pain. His limbs were manacled, a rusty chain clinked as it moved through a ring stapled to the floor.

The light resolved itself as the barred window of a steel door. The rest of the small chamber remained in shadow but safe to say it was likely brick or stone. He heard movement nearby. A familiar voice...

This message was last updated by the GM at 09:05, Thu 02 Aug 2012.

Phil Webley
 MIA, 45 posts
 Drifter - Good looking
 Weak, sickly and clumsy
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 09:08
Re: Howard's Quest
"Ohh... brother... I could really go for a chicken dinner right now..."
Howard Lampton
 player, 118 posts
 Noted Author
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 11:19
Re: Howard's Quest
"web- webly?" Howard croaked through a throat parched as a dusty hallway, "Is...is that you?"

The effort made his head throb the worse, but he turned toward the voice.
Phil Webley
 MIA, 46 posts
 Drifter - Good looking
 Weak, sickly and clumsy
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 18:43
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 41):

"Howie? Thet you? Brother, Ah'm so thirsty. Got anything to drink?"
The Keeper
 GM, 549 posts
 Tony Stroppa
Thu 2 Aug 2012
at 18:44
Re: Howard's Quest
Howard could hear a buzzing drone coming from somewhere. It sounded a little far-off, perhaps way above?
Howard Lampton
 player, 119 posts
 Noted Author
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 15:34
Re: Howard's Quest
For a long minute, Howard stares into the blackness, wondering what has roused him from his torpor. Then he hears the sound again, a muffled crash, followed after a moment by another.

"phil," his voice creaks into the dark, "hear that? explosions?"
Phil Webley
 MIA, 47 posts
 Drifter - Good looking
 Weak, sickly and clumsy
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 03:34
Re: Howard's Quest
In reply to Howard Lampton (msg # 44):

"Don't know. So dang hungry. Hope it's dinner."

It was true, they'd been kept shackled in chains, shivering in the unheated stone cellar for over a week (since Howard was tossed in). They'd been fed and watered once a day, their wood bucket latrines emptied at the same time. A single electric bulb hung out in the corridor lit their cells.

Phil and Howard were imprisoned in different cells within sight of each other. Howard also knew that Rashid and Ai'yesha (cousins, both worked at the Blue Pyramid and had been kidnapped by the Brotherhood) were there too, somewhere close, but their cells were not in direct sight.

The (unseen) iron door to the upper level banged open. Footsteps descended. The three regular gaolers (the same ones that fed and guarded them) came into sight, opened Phil's cell, unlocked the shackles that bound him, and carried him off. Screaming.

"Nooo! Nooo! Where are you taking me? Noooo! Take someone else!"

They disappeared upstairs, and the iron door at the top of the stairs clanged shut.