Tuesday, 17 March 1925.   Posted by The Keeper.Group: 0
John-Marc Falcon
 player, 256 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Thu 18 Oct 2012
at 22:26
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
JM considers the Count's suggestion. "Yes, good point Count Bathony.  Certainly we are more likely to get stuck into a fight and Perkins and his fellows would be most handy.  It cuts our ability to launch a diversionary attack from the gate but that is probably not critical.  With the machine gun the Major should be able to cut off any escape across the bridge.
Major Charles Storm
 NPC, 60 posts
 Major, US Army, Ret.
 Former Cavalryman
Sat 20 Oct 2012
at 05:38
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to John-Marc Falcon (msg # 290):

"Them two Egyptian fellers with me on the Lewis Gun should be enough to keep 'em occupied. I say go with the Count's idea, in military thinking you want to keep your main force concentrated and best to have a couple professional riflemen with your group.

"Sure, let's get some signals set up."


Keeper's Note: I'm willing to be flexible regarding signals. Several of you are veterans and are experienced in signals, no need to define everything ahead of time as long as you keep the communications simple. Some prearranged signals would be nice. I don't think anyone would be knowledgeable in Morse code.

As well, only Americans would call their portable lights "flashlights", everyone else would call them "torches" (as would Canadians of the day, and although we call them flashlights now they're still called torches almost everywhere other than North America.)

John-Marc Falcon
 player, 257 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Sat 20 Oct 2012
at 22:57
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
JM nods.  "Concentration of force is perfectly fine with me then Major, Count." He bows slightly to each man.  "We have blue, green, red and yellow flares.  Blue is we are attacking, green is we are withdrawing back to the boats, red is the enemy are headed your way and yellow is we have departed the island.  What do you think of that Major?  We'd need an equal set of signals for you."
Molly 'Mungo' Fuller
 player, 152 posts
 Reporter for the
 London Scoop.
Sun 21 Oct 2012
at 02:13
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to John-Marc Falcon (msg # 292):

Molly nodded to everybody as they spoke about the plans.  This was interesting to her since she never had been on the inside of planning something like this.  Finally, just for want of having something to say, she spoke up.  "I must admit that it is a learning experience to listen to all you knowledgeable people.  Just put me anywhere you think I might be of some use."
Count Sigismund Bathony
 player, 256 posts
 Antiquarian Book Dealer
 Owner Abingdon Rare Books
Sun 21 Oct 2012
at 08:34
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to John-Marc Falcon (msg # 292):

The Count was impressed, he had been struggling to think of a form of communication they could use. The idea of using flags as he had done during the war was not practical, thinking on it flags where never practical.

"We have no real idea on numbers of the enemy that may be present. Is that correct ?"
Albert Darlington
 NPC, 142 posts
 Detective Sergeant
 Metropolitan Police
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 04:32
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to Count Sigismund Bathony (msg # 294):

Darlington pulled out his trusty notebook, where he habitually kept notes on ongoing investigations.

"Lawd above! Correct, we estimate da Black Bruvver'ood 'as abaaaht twen'y plus members, an' Tewfik's personal mates number six ter eight, based on da acaaants ov witnesses. But fer uvver cultists, could be dozens fer all we know. Plus Garvigan, ov caaahrse. Not too specific, innit?"

John-Marc Falcon
 player, 258 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 05:14
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
"We will have to rely on speed, surprise and violence to overcome superior numbers.  We might want to bring part of the boat crews with us as well."  He smiled at Molly; "We'll keep you close and rely on your sharp eyes Miss Fuller to spot things we may miss in the heat of battle."
Count Sigismund Bathony
 player, 257 posts
 Antiquarian Book Dealer
 Owner Abingdon Rare Books
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 07:53
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
The Count studied the photographs of the estate.

"It would seem the obelisk will be the focus of any activities, an educated guess of course. It should be the primary point for us to rally to after the element of surprise is lost. In that regard a long range volley on the principles of this cult namely Gavigan and Teweik would be a good reason to give up our advantage of stealth."

"Then to secure the mansion where I would suspect the captives are being held if they are not already present at the ceremony.".

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 18:57, Mon 22 Oct 2012.

Imran Singh
 player, 187 posts
 Decorated Ex-Soldier
 Loyal Sikh Manservant
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 13:00
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
"I wonder if we might be wise to strike the night before the new moon, for our handful of guns, even with the grenades and the element of surprise, will not be enough to overcome dozens, should they offer any resistance. Facing those numbers, I suggest rapid fire will prove more important than long-range accuracy; pistols and shotguns will deliver the most devastating fusillade.

"On the night before, Gavigan and Tewfik will probably be in the mansion, a daunting objective by itself. We may substitute stealth for an open assault then to locate and secure their victims and then hunt down the heads of the cult.

In any case, I recommend against making the boat crews a part of our assault force. If we need to make a hasty retreat, having the crew dead or missing would be a great tragedy, I think."


He turns to Cynthia, "It occurs, Miss Holloway, that Major Storm might be in need of and aide-de-camp to manage the signals and such."
Cynthia Jane Holloway
 player, 290 posts
 Dilettante
 Globetrotting Free Spirit
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 15:04
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
"I know, Mr. Singh, that you are doing your best to keep me out of harm's way. But in this case, it isn't just me who is at risk; it's our own friends, and another woman just as in need of protection as myself.

The odds are not in our favor. For the sake of those innocents, I don't know that we have the luxury of keeping any person capable with a firearm in the back. Unless the good major requires a second set of hands, I'd rather be somewhere where I can perhaps protect any more of my friends from falling."

Imran Singh
 player, 188 posts
 Decorated Ex-Soldier
 Loyal Sikh Manservant
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 16:41
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
Singh smiles somewhat regretfully at his young charge, his hand gripping the hilt of the blade thrust through his sash: "Shabash, mesahib," he murmurs, "Brave words from a noble heart. My arm and my kirpan are ever at your service."
Cynthia Jane Holloway
 player, 291 posts
 Dilettante
 Globetrotting Free Spirit
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 18:11
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
And Cynthia can't help but smile in return. "Always my hero, Mr. Singh."
John-Marc Falcon
 player, 259 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Mon 22 Oct 2012
at 23:49
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
JM considers the suggestions.  "We can only rely on getting Gavigan and Tewfik on the night of the ceremony.  We will be outnumbered but we should have a significant advantage in firepower and surprise."
Count Sigismund Bathony
 player, 258 posts
 Antiquarian Book Dealer
 Owner Abingdon Rare Books
Tue 23 Oct 2012
at 07:43
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925


"I have to agree with Mr Falcon, the leaders of this cult should be one of our primary objectives. I would guarantee that Gavigan will have another cache of equipment and funds and could escape to start this whole process again."
Major Charles Storm
 NPC, 61 posts
 Major, US Army, Ret.
 Former Cavalryman
Wed 24 Oct 2012
at 01:23
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to John-Marc Falcon (msg # 302):

Storm poured some coffee. Thick, black, no sugar. Army coffee!

He looked at the map.

"So we have something of a plan. What do we need to do now while we wait?

"The Doctor contacts his friend Darragh. Arranges for the boats and the crew.

"JM, you contact your agent to look for a place to rent up in Harwich? On the sea, preferably by the beach.

"The Count arranges for some kind of practice range, possibly just farmland. We'll also need some kind of ground transportation. Car or truck."

John-Marc Falcon
 player, 260 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Wed 24 Oct 2012
at 04:59
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
"I will work out the place in Harwich.  As well we can use my truck for transport."
Count Sigismund Bathony
 player, 259 posts
 Antiquarian Book Dealer
 Owner Abingdon Rare Books
Wed 24 Oct 2012
at 06:10
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to Major Charles Storm (msg # 304):

"My delivery truck is at your disposal, it is somewhat small for moving large number of people. Also I shall do the supply shopping, I have made a list. Ah... bayonets."

He writes this down on his list.
Major Charles Storm
 NPC, 62 posts
 Major, US Army, Ret.
 Former Cavalryman
Wed 24 Oct 2012
at 07:42
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to Count Sigismund Bathony (msg # 306):

"And horses! Don't forget them. Or, maybe not? I guess someday we won't fight wars with bayonets or horses. I'm going to miss them.

"I still think a motor vehicle that can't be traced to you or anyone else would be safer."

John-Marc Falcon
 player, 261 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Thu 25 Oct 2012
at 05:50
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
"Perhaps we rent a lorry for the purposes of the assault?"
Albert Darlington
 NPC, 143 posts
 Detective Sergeant
 Metropolitan Police
Fri 26 Oct 2012
at 02:55
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
John-Marc Falcon:
"Perhaps we rent a lorry for the purposes of the assault?"


"Gawdon Bennet! I fink I can get a line on da rental ov a couple trucks fer transpawtashun. No quesshuns asked.

"Good, sounds like we're done fer tonight. Bird Lime fer bed! OK?"


Darlington stubbed out his cheroot cigar.
John-Marc Falcon
 player, 262 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Fri 26 Oct 2012
at 21:12
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
JM hoisted a glass of the fine sherry that he'd packed aside.  "Yes indeed gentlemen and ladies, to a good night and well done."
Molly 'Mungo' Fuller
 player, 153 posts
 Reporter for the
 London Scoop.
Fri 26 Oct 2012
at 22:23
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
In reply to John-Marc Falcon (msg # 310):

Molly grinned and raised her glass to the group as a whole.  "That's something I can drink too.  To our success and a diminishing of our foes."

She then finished her drink.  "I think I'll just take a short nap before the shenanigans start.  Now make sure you get me up for it or I will be most peeved.  You wouldn't want to want I'm sure."

Molly chuckled and closed her eyes.  She had gotten used to sleeping wherever she was so it didn't bother her to go up to a room to sleep.  This way, if she woke up and they didn't notice, she could see if they would say something that she shouldn't hear.  A handy habit to form for a reporter.
Count Sigismund Bathony
 player, 260 posts
 Antiquarian Book Dealer
 Owner Abingdon Rare Books
Sat 27 Oct 2012
at 03:15
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925

The Count took his pocket watch out and checked the time. It was late and he had a busy day ahead and an early start.

"Yes I think I will retire for the night. I will leave early tomorrow so I may not see you all in the morning. Goodnight"

He retires for the evening and departs at 6am the following morning.
John-Marc Falcon
 player, 263 posts
 Former Flt. Lt., RAF
 Aeronautical Pioneer
Mon 29 Oct 2012
at 06:27
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
JM douses the lights and makes a last check of the house and grounds before turning in himself.
Cynthia Jane Holloway
 player, 292 posts
 Dilettante
 Globetrotting Free Spirit
Mon 29 Oct 2012
at 17:27
Re: Tuesday, 17 March 1925
Cynthia will return to her book and, shortly after, retire with it to her bed.