IC: The Forest.   Posted by Eye of Harmony.Group: 0
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 415 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2016
at 22:37
IC: The Forest
Mid-morning on a summer's day, a lush forest somewhere in a temperate climate. It looks a little wild, not especially tamed by humanity, but there are a couple of well-worn pathways. Birds sign, leaves rustle, and it seems to be a pleasant enough place to be.

The time portal delivers the travellers to this spot, before shimmering away into nothing.
Katarina
 PC, 37 posts
Mon 8 Feb 2016
at 07:15
IC: The Forest
Kat stumbled out of the portal, having just experienced a passage she had utterly no frames of reference for. She'd never even been to sea; Troy wasn't even particularly sea-side. So her head was left spinning and her stomach felt like it had been turned upside down, back to front, and even inside out. A stomach that had only shortly before been stuffed full of more and richer food than the slave girl had ever even dreamed of, and which couldn't take any more.

So Kat staggered quickly into the bushes, and noisily emptied herself.
Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai
 PC, 24 posts
 Do you not know, I am the
 best knight in the world?
Mon 8 Feb 2016
at 18:32
IC: The Forest
Ancelyn emerged and stood in the forest, ready to take on whate... no, wait. Nobody here!

He sheathed his weapon, and lifted the visor on his helmet. He regarded Katarina with some sympathy. Dimensional travel could be pretty unnerving. He recalled that he had felt pretty uncomfortable himself when he first started doing it. He approached her, and quietly, and not unsympathetically, remarked, "Slow, deep breaths will help. The feeling will pass. It is always a little difficult to step between worlds."
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 18 posts
Mon 8 Feb 2016
at 23:10
IC: The Forest
Jeanne reached into a pouch and pulled out a handkerchief, a lace edged square of cotton only slightly less fine than the fabric of her dress.  She handed it to Katarina without a word, a sympathetic smile curving her lips.  The older woman had fared reasonably well with the passage between worlds and times, on the surface at least. There was a distinct churning in her own stomach that she doubted she would ever grow used to, as a girl it had not bothered her so much.  "Gentlemen, might you be amenable to scouting around a little, just to make sure that we are quite as secluded as it appears?  And if you can perhaps see more of a road than these tracks."
Katarina
 PC, 39 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2016
at 03:13
IC: The Forest
Kat tried to breathe as Ancelyn suggested, until her head and stomach settled, then cleaned herself up with leaves, water from her flask, and the piece of cloth offered by Jeanne. She was horrified to then find the cloth was laced and embroidered, finer even than any clothing she was used to. She couldn't give it back now either. 'Uh...' she began, in bewildered worry. She'd have to try to wash that.
Jamie McCrimmon
 PC, 118 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2016
at 12:27
IC: The Forest
The young Scot seemed unfazed by the portal. But then he had travelled with the Doctor for a very long time, had his mind wiped, his mind restored again... it was more a case of what -was- going to disturb him at this point.

He glanced down each of the pathways in turn, his dirk in his hand, just in case there was a Redcoat laying in wait.
Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai
 PC, 25 posts
 Do you not know, I am the
 best knight in the world?
Wed 10 Feb 2016
at 01:34
IC: The Forest
Ancelyn's face was a little rueful, as he was forced to answer in truth - after all, he was a knight, and therefore incapable of lying, especially to a lady. "Unfortunately, a suit of steel does not make for quiet motion or scouting. However, this young man looks as he was born to the wilds. I doubt we could ask for a better scout. Undoubtedly, he must needs be our eyes and ears."

He deferred to Jamie quite readily. As a general, he knew when to stand aside and let the skills of others take the fore. One should utilise all available resources, and with his own arrogance, it was doubtful that anything could actually bruise his ego.

He cast a cursory glance around, then continued speaking. "A most agreeable place to begin a quest. It bodes well! But where should we go next? Perhaps you should consult the device that the Time Lady gave? I suspect we are not far from our goal. Which direction does it indicate, my lady?" He gave a slight bow to Zoe, keeper of the most useful time scanning device.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:34, Wed 10 Feb 2016.

Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 19 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2016
at 03:38
IC: The Forest
"Keep it my dear.  My mother always warned me never to travel without spares." Her smile was sympathetic.  "Sir Ancelyn, I think in some ways you would make a perfect scout in this case.  Certainly you will attract the attention of any bandits that may be lurking, and I have no doubt that you and M'seiur McCrimmon would be able to dispatch them with aplomb.  Still, perhaps you are right."
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 118 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Wed 10 Feb 2016
at 04:59
IC: The Forest
Zoe stepped forth, with the usual stride that she usually used.  Being petite, she had to move with alacrity to keep up with the longer-legged members of the party.  She only hesitated a moment, having stepped into weirdness before with the Doctor.

She turned to the Knight and gave a fairly decent curtsy.  "But of course, M'lord.  It would be my pleasure."  She grinned, brought out the time device.  "And I promise, Jamie can be a fantastic scout.  He has had a lot of practice."
Katarina
 PC, 40 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2016
at 07:12
IC: The Forest
Nodding, Kat cleaned up as best she could, putting the wadded-up handkerchief in her bag, and discreetly wiped her hands on her dress. She had no skill in woodcraft, so she had little to contribute to finding their way, and remained quiet. But she looked around,  and listened to the sounds of the wild, and sniffed the air. She'd lived in one of the greatest cities in the ancient world, and she knew: cities smelled.
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 427 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2016
at 21:44
IC: The Forest
The device in Zoe's hand was of typical Time Lord design. Overdone, overly ornate, and designed to appear to be ludicrously complex. However, the actual application turned out to be exactly as one would expect from a Time Lord device given to others - so simple that it seemed to assume that the wielder had the intellect of an Antarean bog slug. Amidst all the garish scrollwork, there was a single lever. When used, a little green holographic compass appeared above the box, the single arrow presumably pointing directly at the source of any temporal instability. The box emitted a low pip-pip-pip sound, which semmed to rise in urgency as the box moved closer to the objective. Of course, the science behind the time scanner was probably mind-bogglingly complex, but if Time Lords were good at anything else, it was patronising other species. The suggestion that Zoe was the only person who might understand how to use it was a typical Time Lord demonstration of superior snootiness. However, whether or not it was meant as an insult or just the usual Gallifreyan lack of empathy for others, the box did work. It pointed due east, though the direction led through thick brambles. They would need to find a way around the undergrowth, as hacking through the barbed sticks would be time consuming, and probably quite painful.

Birds were singing. A gentle breeze stirred the air, adding a pleasant cooling edge to the growing heat of the day. It showed promise of being a very nice day.
Katarina
 PC, 41 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2016
at 01:41
IC: The Forest
Kat looked dubiously at the brambles, sure to shred their fine dresses and perhaps the skin beneath, for all bar the one encased in metal. 'Perhaps the knight could barge a path though?' she suggested impishly.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 119 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Thu 11 Feb 2016
at 04:12
IC: The Forest
Zoe smiled.  "Or perhaps there is a path nearby that can take us east?  Close enough?  We can always get a new bearing as we go."  It seemed logical to her, after all.
Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai
 PC, 26 posts
 Do you not know, I am the
 best knight in the world?
Thu 11 Feb 2016
at 04:19
IC: The Forest
"I would prefer that option," Ancelyn agreed with Zoe, flashing Katarina a quick grin. "While my armour might protect me, I suspect that progress would be slow. And we needs must act swiftly. I am sure we might find a better pathway further on."
Jamie McCrimmon
 PC, 119 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2016
at 13:01
IC: The Forest
Jamie frowned and then gestured.

"I don't know what the wee machine says; but my eyes tell me someone came this way. They also tell me they were being sneaky. Whether to avoid being seen following someone else, or they were avoiding  chase, I canna say."
Katarina
 PC, 42 posts
Fri 12 Feb 2016
at 01:05
IC: The Forest
'Bandits?' Katarina worried. 'Let us go the other way then. The box will lead us through the forest paths.'
Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai
 PC, 27 posts
 Do you not know, I am the
 best knight in the world?
Fri 12 Feb 2016
at 01:42
IC: The Forest
Ancelyn gave a broad grin, and a rather scornful laugh. "Bandits? Know you not that no brigand alive can possibly prevail against us? Our cause is just, our hearts are true, and this gives each of us the strength of a hundred footpads!" He then raised an index finger to make one final point. "And both young McCrimmon and I will gladly teach them the error of their ways. They will require new teeth should they snap them in our direction. Fear ye not!"

He moved to Jamie's side and looked at the ground, trying to see whatever it was that he had - and not really getting it. "As you say. If someone came this way with secrecy, a short while before we arrived, it must be of significance. Mayhap they know of our quest? 'Twould be the sort of coincidence that dogged the Doctor daily. It seems most likely that we should experience the same profound luck when on his trail."

He clanked a few steps in that direction along the trail, and peered into the distance. "What say you, friends? Both feet and box suggest this might be our course."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:43, Fri 12 Feb 2016.

Katarina
 PC, 44 posts
Fri 12 Feb 2016
at 11:04
IC: The Forest
Kat stared long and blankly at Ancelyn. 'No, I didn't.' she answered his rhetorical question. She was dubious of his boasting, and decided to play to it, to rein him in somewhat. 'Oh, brave knight, you remind me of Prince Hector, the strongest and greatest warrior of Troy, the most honourable and most courageous, unbested by Trojans and Greeks in uncounted duels.' she breathed in apparent awe, then added sadly, shaking her head and looking to the ground, 'Before he was killed.'
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 20 posts
Fri 12 Feb 2016
at 15:50
IC: The Forest
Jeanne coughed delicately into her hand, trying to cover her snort of laughter at Katarina's handling of the knight.  He really was so terribly...English.  Resisting the urge to roll her eyes at him, she patted one armoured shoulder gently.  "I fear that perhaps no one has alerted the local sans-culottes to the justice of our cause, nor might they recognise the name of the Doctor if they had.  We should look to our own defense rather than the shield of righteousness.  The Lord does help those who help themselves after all."

She rubbed her hands together, brushing the pointless dallying away, and her manner took on an altogether more brisk feel.  "Mademoiselle Zoe, Master McCrimmon, we follow your lead.  Sirrah, one hand to your sword if you please."  She leaned in towards Katarina and lowered her voice to a whisper.  "And we two shall try to keep the whole parcel using their brains rather than blind faith and enthusiasm."
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 120 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Sat 13 Feb 2016
at 02:44
IC: The Forest
Zoe completely failed to hide her giggles at Katarina's comment.  "I prefer my heroes alive, if you do not mind!" she stated.

She checked her device, then grinned at Jamie.  "Lead on, Jamie and Brave Knight.  And perhaps we should sneaky as well, best we can?" she added, thinking on what Jamie had stated.