IC: Wessex Castle.   Posted by Eye of Harmony.Group: 0
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 146 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Thu 30 Jun 2016
at 11:48
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe looked at Katarina, reminding herself that she too was a companion of the Doctor, one who had seen things others had not.  She considered a moment, then nodded.  "Okay, I can see how that is smarter.  Thank you.  I will do just that."
Jamie McCrimmon
 PC, 158 posts
Thu 30 Jun 2016
at 11:59
IC: Wessex Castle
A grimace.

"Lass.. the sorcerer. He umm... I don't know he'll care. He's..." A glance towards the locals. "Not, quite umm.."
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 40 posts
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 21:26
IC: Wessex Castle
Jeanne chuckled.  "It's not his manly urges she's looking to appeal to.  Rather the fact that he will recognise her as being 'not quite, um...', lestways, that is my understanding of Zoe's plan."  She quirked an eyebrow to the future born member of their little band, seeking confirmation that she was indeed aiming to alert the alien to the fact that he was not the only stranger to this time and place.  Assuming that Ancelyn's armour had not already done that for them.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:27, Fri 01 July 2016.

Eye of Harmony
 GM, 556 posts
Thu 21 Jul 2016
at 17:16
IC: Wessex Castle
Lady Eleanor was looking at the people shrewdly. "From your speech and manner, I might wager you are from further afield than you claim. Your accents - Norman, Scotch - but your words, your behaviour... But, tis of no moment. I think there is one flaw in this plan." She looked to her husband, with an expression of both pity and long-suffering. "My Lord, you have met Irongron. What say you of his mind?"

The Lord of the Castle of Wessex sighed. "He's a vile and unscrupulous rascal, but for all this, he is not wholly stupid. While you might be more than capable of fooling his bandits, for they are without wit, Irongron is an altogether different prospect. It would be within his grasp to see through your ruse, if he were to spot you were not of his band of outlaws. I am not at all happy, sending young ladies into his nest. He has no goodness in him. It is far too dangerous!"

Lady Eleanor actually snorted, a wholly unladylike response. "Piffle! These are brave and resourceful people, and they mean to do us great service. We should gladly embrace them as kin! We cannot deny them the right to go, if they deem it so. And the Lord Ancelyn - you cannot leave him to Irongron's mercies. He knows no Norman in the neighbourhood would be able to afford a ransom, now all our wealth has gone to the King for the crusade! He will slit the poor man's weasand! We must help! it is our Christian duty!"


Her husband sighed. "Then you needs must distract Irongron - draw him from the keep, and these stout youths will be able to enter with little risk." He narrowed his eyes, seeming to lift from his depressed manner slightly. "Ransom..." He looked Jeanne over thoughtfully. "You travel with little baggage, but I have never seen cloth finer than your own. It may well be that Irongron will believe you have the means to ransom your husband. If you were to meet with him, at a spot in the forest that seems neutral, he might well attend, thinking you mean to enrich him in return for your Lord and Master's release."

Master? Well, that was how they looked on things here. So it was at Versaille, too, but nobody, not even the King, would attempt to act so to Madame de Pompadour. She was possibly the pre-eminent woman of her age - even moreso than the Queen!

Hal, however, spoke up. "There is a place - where a great force has done much damage to the trees. Most avoid it, as they believe it is cursed, but I am sure it is a man-made clearing. I could act as guide. You cannot let a lady of quality meet with such as Irongron with no person to protect her. Irongron may treat in good faith for gold, as he has often done before, but once he has it, he will be treacherous. While my presence in the castle is useful, my staying with the lady is essential. Irongron would gladly take the bait. We must ensure he does not take the lady, as well."

Sir Edward rose from his seat. "What say you, My Lady? Would you confront Irongron, the better to leave his castle ripe for the taking?"
Katarina
 PC, 78 posts
Fri 22 Jul 2016
at 02:40
IC: Wessex Castle
Katarina remained quiet as the lord and lady (or was it the other way around?) conferred. She didn't know what a Christian duty was; perhaps it was knowing they had everything to gain and nothing to lose by letting the strangers do what they would do anyway? It didn't matter; they had the support of these rulers, and their knowledge, as well as a place to flee to after they rescued Ancelyn. What else did they actually have to do here?
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 147 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Fri 22 Jul 2016
at 05:06
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe listened, still set on her own agenda.  She nodded though with the suggestion of a meeting.  "If our Lady meets with Irongrom with Hal, then it makes it easier for Jamie and I, and Katarina, to enter the castle!  You are most correct, the lord of the castle is the wily one.  His men will not be so smart, and then we can isolate this 'sorcerer' that is spoken of.  I shall distract him, Jamie and Katarina can distract the men, and we go from there.  Good?"

She looked to the Lady of this castle.  "Might I have a room to change?  I am most sure that changing here is not acceptable."  She winked at Jamie with that statement.
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 41 posts
Fri 22 Jul 2016
at 22:48
IC: Wessex Castle
There was a moment where she had to swallow her protests.  Lord and master indeed.  Men might rule the world, but few indeed where those who did not acknowledge (privately at least) that women ruled their men in most cases.  Language aside, the plan had a lot of promise and perhaps he would be willing to bring his alien conspirator with him, making the wider plot much easier for them to carry out.
"I believe I know the place Hal speaks of, we passed through it on our way here."  It would be too much of a coincidence if there were two such places in the forest, especially within reasonable walking distance of this castle. "Lady Eleanor, do you perhaps have a casket such as might hold jewels?  Fine cloth or not, I am more likely to hold Irongrom's interest if he believes I have something more than the clothes on my back to offer him.  Fear not, it needn't be filled, nor do I intend giving it to him if this is a simple distraction."  There was no question that she would go along with the plan of course, Ancelyn might not be her husband in truth and she had known him only a short while, but he was a comrade of her Doctor's and thus worthy of rescue no matter what.  She addressed her request for a prop to the Lady of the castle but the smile that had dazzled more than one foreign diplomat was turned on Lord Edward.

Jeanne tapped one finger against her lips, turning their entire plan over in her mind and looking for chinks in it.  "If the sorcerer chooses to accompany Irongrom, is it possible that Hal might deal with him? Or should we try to delay until you have torn through Irongrom's men and come to deal with the blackguard himself?"  Her gaze shifted to Zoe, Katarina and Jamie.  "I am not looking to create problems, just to ensure we have to improvise as little as possible in the event that plans must change."  Sometimes improvising around as few details as possible was advantageous, she did not get the impression that such would be the case here.  Although the knight would be an unknown factor once they retrieved him.
Katarina
 PC, 79 posts
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 02:57
IC: Wessex Castle
'If you mean to slay Irongrom,' Katarina began, making Jeanne's meaning clear to all, 'Then there will soon be chaos in his castle. One of his warriors or the sorcerer himself will seize power. Others may leave or be slain. This may be easier for us, but it may be harder. The new leader may decide it is simpler to kill Ancelyn in his cell.' she warned. Katarina had become familiar with barbaric politics in Troy Priam's court had been stable, usually, but there'd been enough plots hatched to depose him and end the war, and much news from other city-states and empires. 'You will have other chances to treat with Irongrom, if he wishes to trade Ancelyn for jewels, or at least try to take the jewels... Though some may consider planning to slay him during parley to be... dishonourable.' That would be Ancelyn himself, of course.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 148 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Sun 24 Jul 2016
at 18:49
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe listened, then shook her head.  She knew what she wanted to do, and she thought it logical.  So thinking, she simply and quietly left, going down the first hallway to find an empty place to change.  Truly, she didn't want to waste any more time and wanted to get started.
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 567 posts
Fri 26 Aug 2016
at 19:34
IC: Wessex Castle
The lord and lady of Wessex Castle seemed to be drawn into this exciting plot. Lady Eleanor dispatched a maid to fetch a suitable casket for the supposed ransom, and his Lordship decided more wine was necessary to steady his nerves.

Hal, however, was calm and clearly anticipating a little payback against the local brigands. "The young lady is correct," he nodded politely to Katarina. "If Irongron falls, then his men will undoubtedly turn on one another for their share of the spoils, and to take his place. That is just the sort of chaos we need to carry out this plan. If I keep what few men we have back in the forest, they can cut off the bandits in their retreat. We know the land better than they, and could keep them distracted many an hour. It will buy those at the castle more time."

Sir Edward cleared his throat. "This is all very well, but it means naught unless we send a message to Irongron to inform him that we wish to meet. Someone must go ahead to the castle and speak with him. I fear it is a very dangerous task."

Down the hall, Zoe could find several rooms to change in, though the clothes were fiendishly difficult to manage alone - and this is presumably why people had maids in such times. getting into, or out of, the garments seemed needlessly complex.
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson
 PC, 42 posts
Fri 26 Aug 2016
at 20:47
IC: Wessex Castle
"But surely that is simple.  I will approach to within sight of his walls, casket in hand and with a handkerchief as a white flag.  You must remember that my role is the desperate wife of the captive who can find no aid elsewhere.  I can hardly send your men to request his presence, can I?"  Jeanne smiled, "It will be perfectly reasonable of me to insist that Irongrom comes out, after all, if I were to allow myself to fall into his clutches I should do no more than provide him with an additional prisoner."
Katarina
 PC, 80 posts
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 08:00
IC: Wessex Castle
Kat frowned; she didn't like having a time limit to their search of the castle, but there seemed no stopping the attack now. She could only hope to the gods they could find Ancelyn before all Hades broke loose, and use the cover of the ensuing chaos to rescue him.

'Milady, might I beg you for a ball of string?' Kat knew her legends; a ball of string had to be useful. Somehow.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 149 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Mon 29 Aug 2016
at 18:43
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe barely kept her annoyance from exploding into a full-fledged tantrum as she struggled to get out of the obnoxious clothing.  Fortunately for her, it was slightly easier to get out of than to get into, but she still wiggled, twisted and contorted until she managed to get the outer layers off, then applied herself to the inner layers.  Clothing had been so much easier in 1960s Earth!

Finally, she was back in her modern clothing and it made her feel so much better!  She fluffed her hair, gathered up her bag and her period clothing and made her way out, feeling more herself!
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 572 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 22:15
IC: Wessex Castle
"He might accept such an approach," Sir Edward mused. "That might be the best, I would not want to lose yet more men, should he find the approach offensive. He will not harm a lady he could ransom, but my men at arms are little more than idle amusement to the likes of Irongron."

On the return of Zoe, both the Lord and Lady of Wessex Castle almost choked on their own tongues. Is this what they were wearing at Court, then? Shocking! Sir Edward reached once more for his wine, and Lady Eleanor struggled to keep a hold on her sensibilities. "I... well I... Good Lord deliver us! That's not decent! I... what?" She blinked at the question, and seized on it with the desperation of someone looking for any way to beat a retreat. "String... wool, I have in plentiful supply. I shall fetch some. And a cloth, to wave in request for parley. I shall return at once!"

She might easily have sent another in her place, but obviously wanted to escape from Zoe's outfit. The notion that a woman had legs, and associated connected anatomy, had left her quite discombobulated.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 151 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 03:46
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe blinked, clearly confused.  "I... I'm sorry, I... I just..."

She shook her head, her hands on her hips, then looked at Jamie.  "I'm ready when you and Katarina are.  Or maybe we can wait till its dark?"

To be honest, the young woman saw nothing wrong with her clothing.  She had worn thing like this all her life.
Jamie McCrimmon
 PC, 159 posts
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 03:53
IC: Wessex Castle
Jamie gave Zoe the once-over and smirked. He couldn't blame the people; he remembered how difficult it was when he'd first met Zoe.

"Aye. Not sure it will hinder the 'sorcerer' much; but it'll certainly hinder those warriors. Not that it matters much, as they're English, and no match for a Highlander."
Katarina
 PC, 81 posts
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 11:53
IC: Wessex Castle
Kat came from a time where clothing had been little more than a glorified blanket, one that didn't always hold up either, and she'd only owned one. So the lord and lady's reactions to anatomy were puzzling to her, though she smiled to see the nobles so rattled. Perhaps it was the strange clothes of the heavens Zoe wore? 'Milady, you must wear the peasant dress over the silver... thing. Only the warlock must see it, if you are to gain his attention, and his alone. Come, I will help dress you.'
Hal the Archer
 NPC, 6 posts
Sat 1 Oct 2016
at 20:05
IC: Wessex Castle
Hal spoke up. "We must go soon. The woods will be dangerous at night - Irongron's rabble waylay any they find, and in the dark, they shall not know us for who we are. We would be beaten down before we could explain. A journey to entreat parley in daylight is the best approach. We should travel together. Then, a short ways from the castle, I will go with the Lady, and make a show of speaking to Irongron, to arrange a meet perhaps one hour hence, at the new clearing. Then, when he departs to meet us there, it should be a simple matter for the rest to gain entry to the castle. By the time he returns, you may have the lord knight free, and have dispatched this sorcerer. Once Irongron learns of this, he will be full of fury, however. Do not linger when you achieve your goals. He knows my face, and will surely seek to fall upon Wessex Castle. But he shall never reach here!"

Hal set his jaw and spoke with a steely finality. "When he rides out to administer vengeance, my arrow will seek out his eye. Had you not disturbed me once, he would already lie dead!"

He sounded a little unhappy about that, but not enough to be outright impertinent to his betters.
Katarina
 PC, 82 posts
Sun 2 Oct 2016
at 02:23
IC: Wessex Castle
Katarina had helped Zoe change, and returned to hear Hal's speech. 'He will fall on the castle?' she repeated, 'How big is he?'

Otherwise, she was ready to leave.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 152 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Sun 2 Oct 2016
at 16:19
IC: Wessex Castle
Zoe was less than thrilled to putting on a dress again... after all, her own clothing was so much more comfortable!  Still, she conceded Katarina's good point and went along with it.

"Truly, I think it would shock his warriors too, but I shall wear the dress."  And she could always take it off when she wished.

A short time later, she walked back with the other woman, she too caught the term from Hal and smothered a giggle.  "He means to attack, to swarm, to assault the castle," she explained to Katarina.
Katarina
 PC, 83 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 01:49
IC: Wessex Castle
'Oh. So he's not a giant. That is good.' Kat was relieved.
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 584 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 23:07
IC: Wessex Castle
Lady Eleanor was not long gone. She came pack with a ball of rough yarn, and a white shirt, presumably her husband's, as it was too fine to belong to anyone else in the castle. She handed them to Katarina, not only recognising her as the servant amongst the party, but also the one most likely endowed with some realistic common sense. "These should serve, though if you can return the shirt, it would be welcome. Such things are few and far between in time of war. I feel it would be wise to depart forthwith. Every moment you remain is another nail in the coffin of your lord and master."

Lord and Master... that was a novel way to look at Ancelyn, though he would probably agree that this was his natural status. It was doubtful any of his new friends would agree...

Hal agreed. "If we make haste, we can still be in time. Irongron would not kill such as he swiftly, he would make sport of it. He likely lives yet, though in what state, I dread to think. There are several vantage spots which are well concealed amongst the trees. We will go there first and part company. The lady and I will lure the foul villain from his walls, and it should be easy enough to gain entry then."

He bowed to his master and lady. "My lord, my lady - god is assuredly on our side, so we cannot fail. We will return swiftly, though it may be after dark. I promise you, Irongron has seen his final sunrise."
Katarina
 PC, 86 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 03:20
IC: Wessex Castle
Kat took the ball of yarn (she had no particular need for it, other than a mythic sense that string was bound to be useful for something) and the white tunic (with some puzzlement and wondered if she was expected to sew a hole, until she found it was to be used as a flag). She tucked the wool inside her dress, and carried the shirt until they parted ways. She was ready to go, and the sooner they rescued the rock-headed knight, the sooner they could rescue the Doctor.
Zoe Heriot
 PC, 155 posts
 21st Century Scientist
 Perky and Brilliant
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 01:42
IC: Wessex Castle
"That's it, Hal!  For God and Country!"  She giggled, then looked to Jamie.  "Let's go befuddle a wizard, a barbarian and his men, shall we?"

The diminutive young woman gave a big grin to everyone, then made her way towards the door... not looking to see if anyone was following.
Eye of Harmony
 GM, 618 posts
Sat 15 Apr 2017
at 22:23
IC: Wessex Castle
Please proceed to: The Forest.