Act II: Voyage Of Enigma.   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
Elstarir
 player, 149 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Wed 14 May 2014
at 07:41
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
OOC:08:40, Today: Elstarir rolled 6 using 2d6. lore roll (7). World Lore Roll

Vithrain
 player, 206 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 14 May 2014
at 12:46
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
OOC: I have no world lore, just magical lore.
13:46, Wed 14 May 2014: Vithrain rolled 4 using 2d6 ((3,1)).
In case you still want it.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 273 posts
Sun 18 May 2014
at 11:02
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
None of you are born sailors but you do have a rough knowlege of where you are, crossing the southernmost point of the Glimmering Sea, a great body of water that is contested by the rival city-states of Alkemis, Agra, Bei-han and of course Kallamehr.  To the best of your knowledge none of the cities are currently at war by they are all in competition for trade and power so you best be careful should you make port in one of those cities.

Though if you will make port is a good question.  Bei-han, the great slavery port ruled by an old and unstable sultan lies many leagues to the north and you are not tacking along the coast to get there. Agra, the most warlike of the cities is on the western coast of the Glimmering Sea but is again too far north. That leaves the ancient port of Alkemis nearly directly across from Kallamehr. Last you heard that venerable city was stricken by plague...

Perhaps though even Alkemis is too far north and the Twice Shy is bound for the open sea - and the gods know where. Only that you are definitely making west is certain.

Dappa's investigation of doors and hatchways reveals no sounds of conversation, merely the creak of timbers and perhaps the distant sound of bilgewater far blow.  The crew, should there be any, remains ominously silent and unseen.
Dappa
 player, 19 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Sun 18 May 2014
at 17:28
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
I look at the water around the ship. Can I notice anithing? Can I guess the presence of sea creatures pushing the Twice Shy or something like that?
Mannath
 player, 178 posts
 Rogue
Mon 19 May 2014
at 11:34
Maybe this is a really bad idea...
"Sod it," Mannath muttered to himself. All this waiting around was getting on his nerves, and his fear of what was below deck was gradually being overcome by his natural curiosity.

Checking his various blades he headed for a stairway at the fore of the ship. Placing his hand on the frame of the entrance he peered inside. "Hello-ooo! Anyone down there?" He waited for a brief moment, then headed down into the gloom.
Vithrain
 player, 209 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 21 May 2014
at 15:42
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain was content to stay on deck and watch the horizon. His elven feet preferred dry land. some of his cousins were sea elves, but he was not among them.
Mannath
 player, 180 posts
 Rogue
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 05:57
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Stepping through the door at the pointy end of the ship (he was sure that sailors has technical names for the front and back ends of a boat, but this wasn't really his area of expertise), Mannath looked around. To either side he saw doors and in front of him was a hatch, presumably leading down to the lower decks. Gingerly he approached the door on the right. He knocked on the door and waited a few seconds for a response. If none came he would gently push the door open.

OOC - to clarify, room 4 on the map.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Tue 03 June 2014.

Tarrian
 player, 124 posts
 Barbarian Warrior
 of the Pagan Plains
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 14:36
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Having risen, as well as eaten, very early in the day.  Tarrian decides to go looking to see if there is any food and water on the vessal.  Other then what they themselves had brought.  An if there is any facilities to cook anything.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 278 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 15:22
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
All except Mannath:

Dappa observes nothing but water beneath the Twice Shy. At a rough guess the strange vessel is floating perhaps two or three metres above the waves and making rapid speed wherever it is going.

The weather, which til now has been calm starts to worsen, and does so quickly. The whole western sky is covered with the angry purple-grey bruise of a rapidly oncoming.  There is a rumble of thunder and in the distance you see them: five flying specks moving towards you...

Mannath:

The interior of the forecastle seems normal enough for the most part - or it would if you know more of ships.  It is built of the same dark pine as the rest of the ship and the light from the lit ships lantern hanging on the wall plays strangely on the coloring of the wood.  To your left is an ordinary looking door, currently closed [ooc: this leads to room 3 on the map].  You ignore it and turn to the - ar stranger - door opposite. Or what should have been door.

Set into the wall is a portal with no door. All you can see is a sheet of darkness within the door-frame. Drawn around the frame are hundreds of little stick figures, engaged in curious activities, such as running, jumping and wrapping their legs around their heads.


Mannath
 player, 181 posts
 Rogue
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 17:30
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Unaware of developments outside, Mannath tilted his head and shouted over his shoulder to those still on the deck outside. "Errr, guys! You should come and take a look at this! I've never seen anything like it."
Vithrain
 player, 212 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 10:22
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain watches the specks for a few moments then at the call of Mannath's voice ducks down inside to where he is. When he catches sight of him Vithrain says, "Weather's closing in. Looks like it will be rough. And we have some company heading our way. No doubt with bad intentions as they are riding the storm."
Mannath
 player, 182 posts
 Rogue
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 14:45
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
In reply to Vithrain (msg # 23):

When the Elven wizard appeared, Mannath pointed at the strange portal. "Check this out. What do you think?"
Vithrain
 player, 214 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 10:35
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain pulls up short when he sees the strange doorway. He then moves forward to examine the glyphs closer. He runs his hand over the frame with tenderness and awe.

His senses tingle (let me know please if magical?)

"Well isn't that just a thing of beauty! Are you a portal my pretty...?" Vithrain starts saying to himself and the archway, totally forgetting Mannath and the impending storm and ships. "What secrets do you hold for me, hmmm? Tell me your tales beautifull arch...."

so can I get an innate call on its magical status please and then do I recognise/know the language?
Dappa
 player, 21 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 18:18
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
I study the little figures, trying to make some sense of them.

[Just in case, I rolled 2d6... you never know... 19:19, Sun 15 June 2014: Dappa rolled 10 using 2d6 ((6,4)). ]

This message was last edited by the player at 18:20, Sun 15 June 2014.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 282 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 09:33
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
As Vithrain runs his long elven fingers over the dark wooden figures they grow warm to the touch and he feels a prickling sensation across his fingertips, as if he was sweeping his hand through a drift full of pine needles.  To the others little seems to happen but the elven spellcaster can now be sure: this doorway is magical.  The exact nature however eludes him, though he can sense it is not - at least not inherently - malign magic at play.

Dappa likewise is mystified.  The strange figures remind him of an engraving his master Hammet the Dash once showed him, an engraving in a book from the Old World. The engraving was only seen in pssing however, long ago and the young sorceror can not recall what was said.

Outside as the wind picks up the five specks in the sky have grown larger by the moment, framed against the sullen sky. In another moment they will be visible enough to make them out - and not all that long after they will be arriving.
Dappa
 player, 22 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 18:31
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
"Right is the Sun and left is the Moon... hmmm...."
Elstarir
 player, 154 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 12:30
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
The Elf archer looks out and notices the black figures getting bigger and bigger. Standing from his position on the deck he straps on his quiver of arrows and tests the tension in his bow string before notching and arrow and aiming out over the ship towards the approaching figures.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:08, Thu 19 June 2014.

Mannath
 player, 186 posts
 Rogue
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 15:14
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Mannath watched as Dappa and Vithrain examined the strange markings. The writings of wizards and sorcerers had always been a mystery to him. "Well, what do you reckon?"

As they concluded their assessment the rogue turned to look at the more mundane door behind them. Without touching it he looked at the door and the lock to see if it as either locked or possibly trapped. Once he had that information he would make a decision on what to do next.
Dappa
 player, 23 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 21:00
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
There is only one way to understand if there is a trap concealed in this decorated doorway.... Dappa stands in front of the door, points both his open hands to it, gently closes his eyes and whispers: "SUS!"
Vithrain
 player, 215 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 18:47
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain, his fingers still tingling, says "Well, there's real magic here and at a guess I would say it was a portal of some kind. Whether that be a time or physical portal I can not tell without simply going through it.

But is it the only one, or do other rooms hold similar things? And if we were meant to go through it why then provide us with a ship and not simply have the door appear before us on the cliff edge for us to walk though?

Curious. My old master would love to study this before ever trying it out."

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 287 posts
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 01:20
Raiders from the sky!


As Elstarir watches the fast approaching dots in the sky suddenly came into focus; a flock of BIRD MEN. The Bird Men of Southern Allansia are ugly, spiteful creatures who delight in raiding the weak and it seems this flock has decided to investigate the Twice Shy. They are highly unlikely to be friendly!

The foremost Bird Men are now within arrow range.

Meanwhile in the fo'castle Dappa feels no answering tingle. Undoubtedly the portal is magic in some way but it does not seem to be a trap as such.

Mannath investigates the other door. It appears mundane and though closed does not look locked.
Elstarir
 player, 157 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 13:01
Re: Raiders from the sky!
the elf ranger doesn't wait, he'd been targeting the the incoming shapes since he had spotted them now he let loose the arrow at the nearest.


OOC:14:01, Fri 11 July 2014: Elstarir rolled 21 using 2d6+10 ((5,6)).
14:27, Today: Elstarir rolled 4 using 1d6+1. damage roll (crack shot).total 3

This message was last edited by the player at 13:28, Fri 11 July 2014.

Dappa
 player, 24 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 21:45
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Dappa takes his bamboo flute to his lips and plays a lively tune.
JIG!

This message was last edited by the player at 13:22, Sun 13 July 2014.

Mannath
 player, 188 posts
 Rogue
Sun 13 Jul 2014
at 05:19
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Cautiously, Mannath opened the door and swung it open. He peered inside, wondering what other strange oddities there were on this mysterious vessel.
Vithrain
 player, 216 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 19 Aug 2014
at 20:41
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Vithrain moves to have a look at what else the ship has to offer.