Act 1 - The Curse Of Kallamehr   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 4 posts
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 02:42
Act 1 - The Curse Of Kallamehr
You have been trekking across Allansia, in search of adventure, excitement - and above all treasure! Forsaking the western shores, you headed south, and came to the land of Kallamehr, which is ruled by the noble house of Rangor. Compared to the hardships you faced on the journey Kallamehr promises comfort and rich pickings. Judging by the rounded bellies of the traders you have passed on throad, business must be good around here.

After two months' solid travelling, interrupted only by the occasional skirmish with beasts and bandits, you have caught the scent of the sea in the wind. The road broadens as it approaches the town of Kallamehr, and you see its famous tower looming majestically in the distance. As you draw near the town, you catch sight of the sprawling collection of buildings which huddle beneath the tower. The twisting architecture is strange to your northern eyes; it seems to have no order to it. You wonder how on earth people can live in such chaotic squalor.

An imposing pair of gates loom before you. Strangely, no guards seem to be around, and the gates are open. You can make out the faint sound of shouting from the other side of town, but the houses block your vision and you cannot see what the commotion is about.

As you stand in the gateway, you hear thumping from the gatehouse to your left. Someone seems to be trying to attract your attention.

'In the name of charity, let me out!' a tiny voice implores. 'Surely I, one of Baron Bluestone's most loyal subjects, should have the right to witness his struggle? Let me out!'

Edging closer, you see a man's gaunt face pressed against the door's grille. Manacled hands grip the bars, and tears stain his grubby face. He does not look much like a loyal citizen to you, and he has almost certainly been locked in the gatehouse for a good reason. There are no keys near by.

Abandoning him to his fate, you hurry towards the sound of the crowd, which gets louder as you get closer.  Carts sit unattended, stalls unguarded, and livestock runs free. Minutes after leaving the gate, you arrive at the central square - the scene of the commotion. Packed into the square is a vast crowd (surely the entire population of Kallamehr, apart from the wretch in the gatehouse!). Each pair of eyes is fixed on the top of the tower, where a spindly figure is struggling to free himself from the clutches of a short robed man, who in turn is trying to force the other off the edge of the balcony. The spindly man is teetering on the edge. With every twist and turn the onlookers gasp ever louder. The tension is unbearable.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 14 posts
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 11:21
Scene One: Tower Trouble


You are in the throng of townspeople, struggling to avoid being crushed against the sea wall. People are shrieking in disbelief, and pandemonium reigns. You guess that is the Baron up there, fighting for his life. But why?

Nobody seems able to do anything; guardsmen are pounding in vain on vain on the mighty oaken doors of the tower. The crowd just stands and stares.

The sea crashes against vicious rocks at the foot of the cliff below the tower. Now is your chance to demonstrate your heroism. Can you save the Baron? But how do you reach him?




Heroes, this your cue. :)
Elstarir
 player, 12 posts
 Archer
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 11:46
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
Elstarir moved through the crowd his graceful form dodging most of the crush. He kept close to his brother knowing the wizard would easily loose himself in an empty room such is the way of the academics.

He looked up and saw the commotion at the top of the tower. Not wanting to get involved but knowing he could not walk away from someone in trouble he leaned into his brother.

 "Vithrain are you able to cased a spell to catch the man if he were to fall?" looked over the cliff towards the sea below " Brother do you remember once we crept upon the young elf maidens bathing with the help of your water breathing spell. Could that help if he were to fall into the sea. Granted the fall will probably kill him but still"

The young Elf bowman then looked back up judging the wind and the distance wondering if he could hit the robed man to free the other from his grasp.

then turning to Mannath " my friend would you be able to help open that door for those guards? I here tell you have a talent for that sort of thing" he said with a sly grin on his handsome face. "and Tarrian how fast would you be able to make it up the steps to the top. I would imagine a warrior of your stamina could make it before that villain were to let go of his hostage." again he smiled at the warrior woman
Vithrain
 player, 10 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 13:13
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
Vithrain looks at his brother, Elstarir and replied, "Hold still with your tongue a moment, brother mine. You always did think two steps ahead of the moment. How do we know which of the two is the town's own man, and which the villain? Maybe both have reason to stay alive."

Turning to one of the people crushing into their small group Vithrain grabbed one by the neckline of his shirt and turned him to face them all.

"Young man, who are these two men, and which needs to be saved for the towns' benefit? Or maybe both? Talk now!"
Elstarir
 player, 13 posts
 Archer
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 14:36
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
"as always dear brother you speak the truth of it. Please go forward and ask your questions of the locals to get the feel of the situation .... but brother make it quick as one or both might fall before you finish your gossiping." he replied good naturally.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 16 posts
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 17:22
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
The Kallamehran man Vithrain has grabbed is startled but seemingly too agitated to be angry (luckily for Vithrain as the youth looks no weakling.) He pulls the Elf's hand off his shirt and points at the two figures fighting atop the tower. "Do you see the man with the red sash foreigner?" You can indeed make out a flash of red on one of the combatants waist - the spindly man trying to free himself from the other's clutches. "He is our Baron and this is his tower; some madman is trying to throw him to his death and the tower doors are locked from within!"

Their is a sudden cry from the crowd as one of the turbaned guardsman finally causes a crack in the doors with his hammer - followed by a moan as the people see how sturdily the doors are still standing.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:22, Fri 04 Jan 2013.

Tarrian
 player, 8 posts
 Adventurer
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 19:14
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
"Quickly.  Let us do as Elstarir says," urges Tarrian.  The daughter of a tribe of plains runners, she has absolutely no doubt she'll make it to the top of the stairs ahead of any of the heavily armoured guards.  "Mannath, see if you can help them with the door."

She pushes her way through the crowd to the foot of the tower.  Once she's there, she starts divesting herself of anything that's going to weigh her down backpack, armour, boots, sword.

Barefoot, spear in hand, Tarrian starts limbering up for a mad upstair race the moment the door is opened.  Her eyes are transfixed by the struggle overhead.  It seems so desperate.  Every instant counts, and they're not even through the door.  "Elstarir," she calls over her shoulder.  "Can you shoot him from here?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:18, Fri 04 Jan 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 12 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 20:25
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
As Tarrian prepared herself with stretches Vithrain moves up next to her and explains what he will do. "Tarrian, just before the door is freed of it's frame I shall cast a spell on you to ease your actions."

Vithrain will wait until the door is almost free, with but one or two more blows until it is open, and then he will cast Ironhand on to Vithrain. This provides Tarrian a +1 to all Skill check levels (so her Skill 7 becomes Skill 8) for three minutes.

20:22, Today: Vithrain rolled 8 using 2d6. Target =< 10. cast ironhand on Tarrian.   - Success!
Elstarir
 player, 14 posts
 Archer
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 21:08
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
Elstarir moved away from the crowd and took up his bow. He pulled out an arrow and notched it. Sighting down its shaft he targeted the figure in red but held his shot until he saw Tarrian on the roof
Mannath
 player, 12 posts
 Rogue
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 09:24
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
At first Mannath just stood there, transfixed by the scene at the top of the tower. Suddenly he heard his name mentioned, and he snapped back into focus as his companions called him to try to open the door. He paused, somewhat reluctant to display his 'talents' in front of such a large crowd. While the mob always appreciated a mighty warrior, adept bowman or conjuring illusionist, a common thief was more likely to take a long drop from a short rope.

Well, he is the baron. Maybe there will be a cash reward?

With a sigh he moved forward, pushing through the crowd. Tapping the guard at the door on the shoulder, he spoke in a low voice. "Excuse me, perhaps I can help." With that he pulled out a set of picks and knelt in front of the door. He briefly studied the lock before selecting an appropriate pick and then set to work. With any luck he could complete the task and blend back into the crowd before the guard made a mental image of his face...

09:15, Today: Mannath rolled 8 using 2d6+1. Pick lock
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 20 posts
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 13:05
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
It is very difficult - the lock is old and very solid - and when the *click* finally comes for a moment Mannath might think his pick had broken off. Then the doors pondorously swing open. Success!

The crowd at once pushes forward in a well meaning but foolish attempt to storm the tower. The guardsmen are forced to press back to stop people being trampled in the stampeded so it is that only Tarrian and Manath manage to make it inside (or are pushed inside in the case of the wiry thief)...

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 21 posts
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 13:19
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble


Vithrain & Elstarir

The surge of people around the doors block your path. Perhaps there is another way to reach the top of the tower?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Sat 19 Jan 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 16 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 14:39
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
Noticing his brother had moved away Vithrain scanned the masses until he saw him, standing on top of a discarded hay wagon a short distance from the tower.

Moving over to him, using his staff to clear the path, Vithrain finally made it to the wheel of the wagon.

"The other two are inside just fine. You should see them emerge any moment now. Keep your aim well younger brother, but try not to kill your target."

NOTE:  I'm not sure if I can cast Ironhand on a second person while the first still has the effects of the spell on them...but I would Guess that I can because they are on independent bodies. If this is not the case ignore the next bit and let me know please :)

14:37, Today: Vithrain rolled 7 using 2d6. Target =<10. Cast ironhand on Elstarir. Success.


As he said this last bit Vithrain reached his hand up and touched his brothers leg just above the shoe, endowing him with Ironhand. (+1 to Skill checks for three minutes) He then turned and looked back up the tower to where the men still struggled.
Elstarir
 player, 15 posts
 Archer
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 17:50
Re: Scene One: Tower Trouble
Elstarir took a quick moment to look down at his brother and gave him a smile as he felt the familiar vibration of his brother's magics spread through his body.

He always marveled at the skill and power that his brother welded. He was a practical elf believing in the body to achieve what you needed where as his sibling used his mind to command eldritch power. he chuckled to himself they were two sides of the same coin.

He returned his gaze back up to the tower and relaxing into his stance waited with arrow at the ready to shoot