The convergence....   Posted by Game Master.Group: archive 0
Francis Prowler
 Alpha Team, 103 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 00:58
Re: The King's Decision
Francis was impressed by the warriors that had passed by.  There was a man as large as himself--this he had never seen before.  Althougth the dwarf was much shorter that him, he had muscles as large as his own, if not larger.  He almost snickered when he watched the short man walk by, but held it back as he rubbed his eyes.  The panther-lady...  Wow... This was new.
Articus Thane
 Bravo Team, 441 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 15:30
Re: The King's Decision
In reply to Game Master (msg # 69):

Articus nodded at the last, glad to join and fight for his fellow villagers. He bows formerly to the warriors as they pass, albeit a bit awkwardly as it's not something he is used to doing.

Absently, he wonders where Spike is, the little dragonling was always about, but seemingly forever out of his sight. He hoped he wasn't getting into any trouble.

It was then too, that he realized he was exhausted. They would probably camp at least once before finding the encampment, but were woefully unequipped he thought. Tentatively, he asked, "Your majesty, if it is not too much to ask, might my companions borrow some supplies for our journey? We were magically brought here."
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 424 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 20:21
Re: The King's Decision
Leo stood off to the side of the group listening.  He didn't care for the idea of traveling with the king's men, he didn't like large groups.  He had to admit that the numbers would be handy when it came time to fight and finally retrieve the staff.  He still regretted that the draconian had interrupted their chance to get the staff before he joined the main group, but there was no sense lamenting lost opportunities.

He appreciated Articus' words, nodding as he spoke.  He had very little money or rations to support himself.  He wasn't even sure how far away he was from home.  He felt confident that he could feed himself by hunting, but they would want to travel with speed, it would be better to have food already packed.
Game Master
 GM, 1263 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Sat 17 Nov 2012
at 02:34
Re: The King's Decision
The king nods, the group is ushered away.

Within the next hour, things become a bit of a blur. You have a guide who takes you to the kitchen to feed you, then Michael's book is borrowed and returned in a few minutes with a second book, this one written in perfect common. Then you're brought to the four Kings' Men who are at a table with a map of the kingdom.

The man with the Eye Robes points to your group, "Tell me, which village is yours?" As he indicates the map, regardless of who answers, he'll nod. You note each village and city has a symbol next to it. "Okay, let's go." Before you realize what is happening, the man in the robes speaks some obscure language, and you feel yourself become disoriented. You arrive in the middle of your village...
Francis Prowler
 Alpha Team, 104 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Sat 17 Nov 2012
at 03:36
Re: The King's Decision
Francis had a headache.  Where were they?  Home?  He could barely remember it.  "How much time do we have before the attack?" he asked everyone.  He hoped that he would have some time to take a look around--to recover some of his past.
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 425 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Sat 17 Nov 2012
at 14:24
Re: The King's Decision
Leo stood soberly in the edge of the group, looking at his village.  They were among powerful men, it would seem.  They would just have to stand back while they defeated the bandits and then take the staff after the battle.  He had no illusions of being a great warrior, if these men would remove the threat, that was great.  He listened for the answer to Francis' question.  He would like to visit a few people, to make sure they were safe; namely Gurstine, Aedan and of course Denny, if they had time.
Game Master
 GM, 1264 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Sun 18 Nov 2012
at 13:33
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Leo will find his friends well and alive. Francis get's the answer that the army is a days' travel out. From what they all hear - Apparently the army got bogged down in mud, pelted with hail, had half their horses become lame, and the other half got terribly sick with explosive bowel movements. Several men went missing when they went to relieve themselves. The morale of the enemy can't be high after such unfortunate events.

The dwarf will address the group - "A'right, who's in charge o' this resistance?" As he surveys the assembled peasants with various weapons and old armor.

The man wearing noble clothes smiles, "Now now Thorin, we shouldn't be too hasty. Mystra's light graces us, we should lead a quick prayer service and then we may hither be off to smite the foul bandits."

"Right, you can pray to Mystra, you know I'll be prayin' to Clangeddin."

Jason's face falls a moment, "Please, don't tell me I'll be hearing your warcry through this... can't you come up with something new and original to say... I mean, I can only listen to "Clangeddin's Fury, Clageddin's Honor" so many times."

Thorin cracks a smile, "I'll be sure and let Clangeddin know ye don't like his warcry." He turns towards the assembled, "Please tell me there is at least one giant out there. I have a powerful urge to kill something."

The woman speaks softly, "I need to feel the wind in my face, and the ground beneath my feet. We'll check out these bandits. Come along Armand." As she and the massive panther leave.

The man wearing the eye robes, "I need a vantage point to see what is going on."

The dwarf looks around, "I'll survey the area once I speak to who is charge. Flossie will be waitin' by the gate by now."
Michael Tassarion
 Alpha Team, 661 posts
 Attack with fire or sword
 Decision, Decisions.
Sun 18 Nov 2012
at 21:19
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
The amount of activity that happened after their meeting with the king was a very ordered chaos. Michael had trouble following all that happened, but it seemed a lot was done in a very short amount of time. When the draconic diary was returned to him, along with its translation, he thanked the translator and gave a curt bow.

The new group that seemed to be the king's right hand group was very capable, as they saw and heard. The magic that was surely used to bog the enemy down was massive, and the dwarf speaking of fighting giants seemed more truth than bravado.

All at once they were back home, a place that had seemed so far away just a short while ago. Being back among his family again, he wondered what had changed. Himself apparently. Shaking his head he remembered there was little time for self reflection. After the battle, not now.

Michael spoke up when the talk of a resistance leader sounded. "We have a militia sirs and lady, but I fear against this large of a group, there will be much loss of life. I am sure there are some passes nearby that would make for decent choke points to limit the enemies numbers," he said, with a look to Leo and Articus as the woodland travelers.
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 426 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Sun 18 Nov 2012
at 22:27
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
The day went by quickly.  He visited Gurstine and Aedan first, intentionally delaying the third stop.  Finally, he went to the tavern to see Denny.  The conversation wasn't a whole lot better than last time.  He wasn't willing to let her give up her family and her tavern to move into the woods and she was frustrated by his lack of intimacy.  In the end, he wondered why he had even come by the tavern.  He left earlier than he had intended and returned to the trees.

It was good to be back, he didn't bother shooting anything, he just enjoyed the peace and quiet of being alone in the woods.  He knew that Denny wouldn't wait forever, perhaps once the staff had been returned he would have time to think about his problem.  Finally, he returned to the village to see the king's warriors making plans.

"Yes, I know of a few such landmarks," he said to Michael and the dwarf.
Game Master
 GM, 1266 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Tue 20 Nov 2012
at 03:34
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Thorin smiles, "Well, now, why don't you lead the way and we'll see about averting this loss of life." He looks at Michael, "If you're any good with that pig sticker, why don't you come along." As he begins walking toward the gate. For a dwarf, he seems to be walking slower to allow you to keep up.
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 429 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 21:17
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Leo nodded and made his way toward the best vantage point that would overlook the area in question.  The dwarf was impressive, but such high-born worldly men usually were.  He had hoped that by finding the king his work was done.  After the battle, he'd happily take the staff back to the fey.  Once the threat was removed, he could return to the woods and begin work on his winter cottage.
Articus Thane
 Bravo Team, 445 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 21:23
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
It took Articus a second to get his bearings, before interjecting, "Wait. Elder Rickon is the man you want to talk to, however, we had made arrangements to turn the town that is about to be besieged into a death trap."

He quickly explains the plan, sketching a rough outline of where they are in relation to where the other town is, as well as another rough sketch in the dirt that show the important fortifications, placement of men, and landmarks.
Game Master
 GM, 1270 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Thu 22 Nov 2012
at 03:59
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Thorin laughs, "A good plan, though, I think we can add to the 'death' by me being there. The king didn't say how many we had to leave alive for the troops..." He seems to think as you walk to the gate, "We can leave 20 men, that seems fair." He glances around, "Unless you've veterans, I doubt your elders have much in the way of any meaningful plans. And I think you lacked faith their plan would work, or else you'd not have traveled to the king to beseech his aid." His grin grows, "Besides, I have a feeling you'll want to defend your village personally. We'll check out the death trap, and perhaps I'll give you a tip or too on how to fight."

At the gate a pony that isn't recognized stands there waiting...
Game Master
 GM, 1273 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Fri 23 Nov 2012
at 08:26
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
You journey to the village. Along the way two Panthers join the band. Time passes quickly.

The brave group of volunteers manning the 'walls' of the makeshift palisade greet the group. The villagers have succeeded in making the village a death trap. Thorin eyes the village and shakes his head. He begins barking out orders which are promptly followed. Within a couple hours, the dwarf is satisfied with the improvements.

He then assembles the men and runs them through drills with some practice swords. He grabs a mock longsword for the practice, doesn't bother putting any armor on and then has each person attack him and then does group drills. After the drilling, Thorin tells two of the men to stay out of combat as they have no combative skills of note. Not a single person lands a hit on the dwarf during the practice. Once he's assessed the combat skills, he addresses them. "Give me a week, and perhaps you'd have a chance, but your skills are barely adequate to drive off a feral wolf. Let alone deal with a trained soldier or brigand. If you get engaged by the enemy, defend yourself, and pull back. Your presence here is only a ruse to draw the enemy in and so the village itself will kill them. Nobody needs to foolishly sacrifice themselves for an empty village. One of you men will man the wall and holler when you see an enemy. The rest of you lot, dismissed and get some rest." He then looks at Leo, Michael, Articus and the rest. "Well, let's see if you've got more promise then these simple folk, who wants to go first?"

<< You can roll if you want, doesn't really matter, regardless of the results, after he tests your combat skills... >>

"Well, you've got better skills then these simple folk, let's go find these bandits and cause them issues shall we?"
Michael Tassarion
 Alpha Team, 663 posts
 Attack with fire or sword
 Decision, Decisions.
Fri 23 Nov 2012
at 15:00
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Michael does what he can to assist, but military strategies are not something he is very knowledgeable in. After preparations, he takes his place with a training sword and gets ready to meet blades with Thorin. He can feel the now familiar heat coming from his veins, but he is careful to control it. This is not the time to use his full strength, as it will be needed for the actual battle. The dwarf truly is a master with the blades, as Michael can't break through his guard at all.

After all have gone and the troops head for rest, Thorin spoke to them about going after the bandits, to which Michael heartily agrees.
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 432 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Fri 23 Nov 2012
at 20:50
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Leo frowned at the dwarf's words before they left, he seemed to take the situation very lightly and seemed almost eager to kill people.  He appreciated the dwarf's presence though, upon seeing him training with the villagers, it showed that it wasn't idle talk.

He was surprised when the panthers joined them and even more surprised that nobody seemed to think it odd.  He reached out his mind, making contact...  [Private to GM: Mindspeech: Beastspeech to panthers:  Greetings, allies.  I am Leo.]

When it came time for Leo to show his skills, he hesitated.  The fact that he still carried his bow would proclaim him to be an archer, but far from it, when danger threatened, his skills would put him very close to the action.
Francis Prowler
 Alpha Team, 109 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 01:21
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
As Francis marched with the group, he thought much about what had happened recently--his entering of the Fey, his joining of the group, and his near-death experience (it seemed like a miracle that he would be fighting again).  He suddenly realized that he remembered so little of what he had done before his adventure began.  Would this happen again after the battle?  Would he not remember charging with his axe raised at Leo?  Would he forget Denny's Flare spell, and the mysterious Draconian?

Francis foot caught itself onto a rock, and Francis fell onto his side.  He did not cry out.  He lay there for a moment, thinking of the dwarven warrior.  Frencis had managed to hit him, something that even Michael could not do.  But the Dwarf was not at all impressed.  Had he not tried to block?  That wouldn't make any sense--he stopped Michael's strike with no problem.  It did not seem like the rest of the group showed any admiration either.  It happened and then it HAD happened.  It was gone, probably out of the minds of everyone but his own.  Francis's eyes watered, but he suddenly realized that this was a foolish thing to cry about.  Perhaps nothing was worth his concerns.  Maybe he should be like the Dwarf.  Maybe he shouldn't care at all.
Game Master
 GM, 1276 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 01:43
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
The panthers loped easily along when Leo sees them.

[Private to Leo Selaht: "Interesting, not many can speak to beasts." Says the smaller of the two. The other one, "Hi Leo, I am Armand."]




Thorin stops at the point where Leo indicates, the march of feet can be heard. "Well, seems we will have company soon." He looks at the smaller Panther "Destinie, I trust you and Armand will handle the left flank. Have Jason harry the right Flank. And I'm sure Xanather will harrass them from above."

He looks at Leo, Michael, Articus, Francis and Malborne. "Well lads, who will stand here with me and look the devils in the face, and who will hold back?" As he speaks, armor appears upon his body, a full suit of plate and chains. He wears a silver holy symbol with two crossed axes. [Clangeddin Silverbeard, father of battles]. Appearing in his hands is the most noticeable piece of equipment, an over-sized double-bladed two-handed Dwarven Axe; The axe is 56, with the haft 4, the Blades are 3 wide, The spike and head of the axe make up the last 18. The haft has bands of gold, silver and mithral. Mind you, the dwarf stands at an impressive height of 4'3".
Articus Thane
 Bravo Team, 447 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Sat 24 Nov 2012
at 14:56
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Articus declined to mention to the dwarf that in fact it was HIS plan, partially out of fear of ridicule for the seasoned veteran, but mostly because he didn't see the point. It didn't really matter whose plan it was, as long as it worked... they were in for quite the battle. He was surprised that veterans could take the killing of men so easily.

[Private to GM:
09:43, Today: Secret Roll: Articus Thane rolled 11 using 1d8+4. Dwarf Damage.
09:42, Today: Secret Roll: Articus Thane rolled 20 using 1d20+4. Attack on Dwarf.
]

When his turn came to hit the dwarf, he calmly did as he asked, curious as to what the Dwarf's reaction would be as he aimed a knuckle strike at an area where his muscles would push up sensitive nerves.

He noted with some surprise that panthers had joined them, but then mentally shrugged. In a battle with the fey on your side, it made sense that the forest would send reinforcements. As they travelled along, Articus's bow already loosed and at his side, he wondered humorously if the dwarf was even capable of retreating, or if he was just going to kill all of them himself.

He almost smacked himself in the head when he realized that the panthers were ACTUALLY Thorin's companions, and that he was in fact a cleric (the holy symbol was a dead giveaway). His only reply was to raise his bow, and head towards cover within the woods, while asking, "Should I have the forest entangle them?"

He was curious how the Dwarf was going to manage wielding a weapon larger even than himself though... that would be a sight to see.
Michael Tassarion
 Alpha Team, 665 posts
 Attack with fire or sword
 Decision, Decisions.
Mon 26 Nov 2012
at 02:58
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Michael's eyebrows raise as he sees the armor and weapons appear out of nowhere. "Magic," he mutters, shaking his head slightly. He watches as Articus takes the rear gaurd, wondering if Leo would be doing the same or if he would be at the front. Francis he figured would join him in the melee. Only Malborne did he have no idea about. While he knew the other youth, he had rarely ever spoken to him, and had never seen him in action since their collective transformations.

"I'd be glad to take the front assault," he said, drawing Wyrm's Might, the greatsword fitting quite comfortably in his hands. He looked to his friends, wondering somewhere in the back of his mind if he would see them when this day ended. He shook his head. That was certainly not the mindset to enter the battle with.
Leo Selaht
 Alpha Team, 433 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Mon 26 Nov 2012
at 03:04
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Leo simply chose not to spar with the dwarf, in all the chaos, he hoped that it would be overlooked.  They would gain nothing if he fought him like he was, this wasn't the way he fought.  When Thorin asked where they would fight, Leo had to make a decision.  He wasn't a strong looking man, although he did look healthy and athletic, and his only melee weapon was his hunting knife, but again, he didn't fight that way any more.

"I'll stand with you," he said without any explanation.

He heard Articus mention calling forth the very trees to fight for them and was impressed.  He wondered if he was able to do the same, he was becoming supernaturally attuned to the forest too.  But, he said nothing.

OOC:  Depending upon your timing for this fight, I figured I should mention early:  Leo will turn into the bear just before the attack comes.  So, he'll stay human right up to the last moment.  I'm mentioning this because he'll be sure to turn into the bear with just enough time so that he doesn't have to waste a battle round transforming.  So, perhaps when he sees them rushing towards them or some such, but not too far before that.  :)
EDIT:  I forgot my Reflex Training, shifting is a Free Action.  :P

This message was last edited by the player at 03:50, Thu 29 Nov 2012.

Game Master
 GM, 1279 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Mon 26 Nov 2012
at 04:15
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
Thorin nods at the men who choose to stand with him. "Very well. I charge you to fight till you have nothing left to give. In return may Clangeddin grant you the endurance to fight with me his Champion." His hands glow and he touches each of you. (Michael and Leo).

"Friend, if you can cause the trees to entangle, do so to drive them towards us, and not to our flanks." He says to Articus.

The minutes drag on until the march of feet gets closer. Thorin has taken up a position to block the narrowest section.


(OOC: I as tempted to leave what he does a mystery, but as I can become forgetful, I'll let you know up front. He just Cast SHIELD OTHER. Which means any damage you take is halved, as he'll take the other half. Francis hasn't replied, but I was assuming he'd stay in front as well. If so, he'll get the Shield Other effect as well.)

>>> Making a map and we'll be going into combat.
Francis Prowler
 Alpha Team, 111 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Tue 27 Nov 2012
at 02:06
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
OOC:  Yes, I am in front.  Sorry.  I did not know that I had to say it.
Game Master
 GM, 1281 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Tue 27 Nov 2012
at 02:13
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
The question was in Msg 87

quote:
He looks at Leo, Michael, Articus, Francis and Malborne. "Well lads, who will stand here with me and look the devils in the face, and who will hold back?"

Francis Prowler
 Alpha Team, 113 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Tue 27 Nov 2012
at 02:18
Re: The Preparation of Heroes
OOC:
:( Sorry.  I should have seen that.