[IC] Aftermath and clean up.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Game Master
 GM, 1516 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 07:11
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine


The bodies are finally dropped to mangled mockeries of their former, and yet still, undead like existence, with the liberal application of fire, these two quivering bodies of flesh that tries to knit itself together at an alarming rate, ceases.

(And in case people were wondering, they had immunity to AoO, and Reach with whirlwind attack and a Reflex action... nastiness all together in a disgusting package.)
Leo Selaht
 player, 593 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Thu 25 Jul 2013
at 13:11
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Leo stayed in bear form, for now, sitting on his haunches and looking around with his dark black eyes.  Although he felt like he could change back-and-forth quite a bit before tiring out, he didn't want to wear himself down.

Instead of speaking, his voice erupted in people's minds:  Slowly but surely.  They're difficult, but we're laying them to rest.  Should we keep going like this?
Francis Prowler
 player, 229 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Fri 26 Jul 2013
at 01:21
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Francis panted.  "How many more are there?"  He wasn't sure that he wanted to continue this.
Articus Thane
 player, 583 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Mon 29 Jul 2013
at 20:51
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
In reply to Francis Prowler (msg # 372):

"That is the question, isn't it?" Articus says, with a look towards his dwindling arrows. Closing his eyes, Articus seems to mutter a prayer...
Drundak
 player, 141 posts
 I may not be able to help
 But i will try!
Tue 30 Jul 2013
at 18:46
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Upon hear that the others are seeming to lose heart for their task Drundak questions them: "Don't we have an obligation to do the task we set out to do? Maybe we did agree too soon, but didn't we give our word to clean this hell of the creatures?" Thinking a moment, he again speaks "Our duty may be to slay what we have found here, but it might be best in the long run to set this task aside until we are either better equipped for the task, or simply more sure of our ability to complete the task. What good is having a duty if we are all dead, or too broken to complete it?" After finishing his last question, Drundak appears as if he has more to say, but simply glances around the room as if he was unsure as to the accuracy of his speech. Drundak also reflected on how foreign his words had been to him, almost as if he was simply reciting child hood reprimands or teachings instead of the words being his own.

Drundak just leaned up against the wall of the cave (being difficult to find a spot free of the odd plant life) with his back, the point of his sword resting on the cave floor, he just absent mindedly spins the sword with the hilt between 3 fingers and catches it before it begins to topple.
Leo Selaht
 player, 594 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Tue 30 Jul 2013
at 23:54
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
I thought it was going well.  I only wonder if we should be looking at a single large solution to wipe them all out at once, or if this one group at a time approach is the way to go.  I'm just trying to get a feel for the numbers involved.

Leo's voice spoke in their minds as the large bear watched them.
Francis Prowler
 player, 230 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Wed 31 Jul 2013
at 12:14
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Having been inspired by the first portion of the speech, Francis was confused by the second.  Was his equipment not the best out there?  Or was he not good enough to battle these creatures?  Neither seemed right.  With a bit of anger, Francis, said, "I'm fine with going on."
Articus Thane
 player, 585 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 22:23
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Looking up, Articus says slowly, "What lies ahead for us is certain to be dangerous. Our lives will be at great risk... but what else is new? I suggest we move forward with caution, we should shout ahead before engaging, and perhaps we can understand what we face rather than battering it into submission. I sense... powerful creatures in our future, and likely deadly traps."
Drundak
 player, 142 posts
 I may not be able to help
 But i will try!
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 10:19
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
In reply to Articus Thane (msg # 377):

Wondering if his words were spoken in error, and with a bit of a chuckle "You mean to loudly announce our advance, or did you mean to look ahead to see what we are up against? Because shouting does not sound like a good idea..."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:43, Mon 12 Aug 2013.

Leo Selaht
 player, 596 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 12:33
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Scout ahead, Leo's voice corrected in their minds.

His animal hearing seemed more accurate than his humanoid friends.  His large shape immediately began to withdraw, the brown fur turning a leathery back as he shrunk and shrunk and shrunk...
Leo Selaht
 player, 597 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 12:33
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
...the black leathery shape grew into a small black bat which fluttered around the top of the cave.  In this form, he could rely not only on sight and sound, but on sonar too.  Also, he was very small and difficult to see, which was another perk.

Ready, Leo's voice came to them once more.
Articus Thane
 player, 587 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 14:41
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Articus looks a bit sheepish and said, "Yes... SCOUT... I... my mouth is dry."
Drundak
 player, 145 posts
 I may not be able to help
 But i will try!
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 04:42
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
With continued chuckle, Drundak just smiles a big toothy grin and shakes his head, "Yes, that sounds like a much better idea.." and turning to Art, "you may want to get a drink, don't want our good talker tangling his words now do we?" Drundak gives a knowing wink to Art.
Articus Thane
 player, 588 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 12:51
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Articus takes a swig from his waterskin and gives another sheepish smile, saying quietly to himself, "I simply say what needs to be said..."
Game Master
 GM, 1524 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 08:32
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
(Insert cheesy line about pungent mildew)...


The Bat scouts ahead, it's sonar sight a different method of seeing in the darkness. Being a bit on the blind side, it does take some getting used too. With the limitations on sight, the Bat is only able to get numbers and layout. (Map is as the map shows).

Further in there are "bodies" that shamble about with the ease of the living... (Though I'll call them bodies since Leo can't distinguish anything that relies on sight). Humanoid in form. It's in a rather large chamber, where things become confusing to Leo. His sonar sense catches a rather large 'blob' that isn't liquid, but is in a form, but doesn't stay still. The texture keeps moving, indicating it is either alive, or has something moving it. Leo might be wondering what he's missing out without his regular sense of sight...
Leo Selaht
 player, 601 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 20:43
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Leo spoke clearly to his companions when he was in range, and then relayed the rest upon his return.  He was now perched on the ceiling as they discussed what he had seen.

The blob was strange, he said in their minds.  Maybe it's the cause?  I think we should try to take out as many of the creatures one-on-one as we can.  If we can clear them away, then we should try to approach the blob and decide if it should be removed as well.
Game Master
 GM, 1526 posts
 Storyteller
 Eclipse d20
Wed 14 Aug 2013
at 13:51
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
While he relays this information. A shambling being bearing a stone emitting that reddish glowing fungus enters the chamber. The blob takes on a decidedly sick pallor in the light. It's amorphous in shape, but seems like several bodies have "collected" together in a manner of absorption. A Gaping maw and giant eyes appears in a moment, and then other faces and appendages manifest and disappear. In some weird and dark tongue that is unknown to any in the group, they begin to speak. Then "it" appears, a Dark Skinned Humanoid, with short horns jutting from it's forehead. A tail swings behind it in a lazy manner. In a common tongue "Yes, patience my children, patience, the dark masters are pleased. Soon we'll be strong enough to remove the kobolds and then destroy the nearby settlements. Glorious chaos will ensue." A short barking laugh ensues from it's throat.
Francis Prowler
 player, 231 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Fri 16 Aug 2013
at 03:58
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Francis is frightened and freezes.  After a few seconds, he turns around, ready to bolt to the entrance.
Leo Selaht
 player, 602 posts
 A hunter...
 ... with a secret.
Fri 16 Aug 2013
at 12:48
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
I think we have our answer, Leo's voice said in their heads as he watched the scene from the cave's roof.  The horned being is using the glowing stuff to change these creatures into something else.  Make a fist if you think I should try to take away the glowing stone and escape.  Extend two fingers if you think we should kill the horned servant first.  Extend all five if we should attack the blob first.  Or extend your thumb if we should wait for them to leave and retreat.  From there, we could try to pick them off individually or discuss another plan.

He hadn't realized the benefit of speaking without sounds before.
Articus Thane
 player, 589 posts
 Liquid Sexiness
 Mystic Wilderness
Fri 16 Aug 2013
at 16:24
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
In reply to Leo Selaht (msg # 388):

Articus for his part, extends one finger on one hand, and then two fingers after wards, seeming to want to do both.. Whispering to the others, Articus says, "If these are plant based creatures now... perhaps there is something I can do. I will try and entangle the horned creature, and then I'll just keep sticking him with arrows until he drops, hopefully. Hopefully Leo will understand what I'd like him to do is to steal the stone, and lead them back to one of the narrower corridors. That way perhaps Zulthikar can burn them all at once?"
Francis Prowler
 player, 232 posts
 All brawn no brains
 Axewielding Blacksmith
Fri 16 Aug 2013
at 21:00
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Recovering a bit from the fright, partly due to Leo's calm tone of voice, he immediately became confused.<darkgreen>"I don't remember the choices..."</green>  It doesn't really matter to him, though.  Francis hates making decisions.
Zulthikar
 NPC Abandoned, 24 posts
Sun 25 Aug 2013
at 21:50
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
"Why are we concerned about a light emitting stone? The question is dealing with these infested creatures, and their dark masters. I for one, would prefer to find a method to isolate and destroy them with as little risk to ourselves as possible. But barring that, perhaps enough alchemist fire and a suitable trap location might deal a significant blow to them." He waits, fingers moving of their own accord in mute impatience being out in the enemy area...
Leo Selaht
 player, 604 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2013
at 03:49
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine

This message was deleted by the player at 11:26, Sun 01 Sept 2013.

Leo Selaht
 player, 605 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2013
at 03:49
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine

This message was deleted by the player at 11:26, Sun 01 Sept 2013.

Drundak
 player, 148 posts
 I may not be able to help
 But i will try!
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 08:51
Re: [IC] Coburn Mine
Drundak returns from his daydreaming, and feels that he would be just as confused if he had been paying attention to Leo's options. None of them made sense, the situation made even less sense. Drundak was having trouble understanding the description of the situation as he was completely unaccustomed to bat sight. He also still feels odd when the voice is used to talk to his mind, understanding the necessity of the voice he accepts it but is still unable to make any calls one way or the other.