IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil.   Posted by Lorepony.Group: 0
Starcrasher
 player, 44 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2013
at 14:10
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Starcrasher gave a simple nod as she leaned back in her seat.

- "Yeah, pretty much. If we're all done introducing ourselves and knowing what we're capable of without sneak peeking at each other's character sheets, we should be fine, right?"

She grinned, it felt like she was starting to get the hang of this. Though she'd need to remember to speak in rhyme for Nochura, but that shouldn't be too hard.
Loose Leaf
 player, 74 posts
Sun 16 Jun 2013
at 06:18
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Welp, ready when you are guys," Loose Leaf pitched in, sipping at her drink and idly rolling some of her dice to pass the time. She was thoroughly enjoying acting as a man. A part of her wondered if this was what her father had felt all those years.
Carbon Copy
 player, 68 posts
Sun 16 Jun 2013
at 06:52
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
CC nodded idly, being very much the same as Shai Ni. She was not entirely sure if she ws doing this right but at least no one had said anything indicating that. Her character was luckily quite soft spoken and taciturn so playing her was surprisingly easy. CC had not been brave enough to try anything new for Moon Lark's personality although the rulebook had emphasized on being able to be anything or anyone.
Silver Bolt
 player, 1 post
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 02:17
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
The door to the tavern opened, letting in the cold night air.  A dark-shrouded figure stepped across the threshold, letting the door close again with a thud.  The hooded figure was decked from head to tail in a dark brown cloak, deep-green hooves barely visible in the dim lighting.

A white aura of magic appeared around the figure’s bow and quiver which floated off its back and were hung on the coat rack by the door.  Finally, the dark hood was lifted with a white aura of its own, revealing the mysterious figure’s face.

“Ahhhh… nothing like a Pint of Best to write off a hard day’s work at the shop on those cold Autumn nights,”  The green unicorn stallion said with a pronounced Trottish accent as he slipped his brown traveler’s cloak off and hung it on the rack with his magic.  “And the Quill and Anvil’s definatly got the Best, wouldn’t you say, Word-“

Silver Bolt stopped, hoof in the air in midstep as he realized the tavern was certainly a lot busier than usual.

“Oh…. Hullo…”  He stood, head turned in curiosity at the assembly of ponies around the table, various papers, books, figures and dice strewn across the table seemingly at random.  “Am-… am I interrupting something?”
Wordsmith
 player, 122 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 02:52
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Wordsmith chuckled, "Just some friends over playing some "Ponies and Perils"..." he tapped his chin, "though I thought I left a sign up saying that the Tavern was closed, reserved for Game Night... barring emergencies of course."

He looked to Silver Bolt "IS there an emergency?" he asked, thinking perhaps he was locked out and needed a place to stay or something.
Widget Whatsits
 GM, 32 posts
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 06:18
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
The road before you, for the first few days at least, was wide, empty, and uneventful. Even as you begin to seep into the first inkling of bog-like forests that signal the beginning of territory that crosses into Gryffonia, and the ponies of the caravan begin to get extremely nervous, there doesn't seem to be any sign at all of approaching trouble.

~

Widget rolled a few dice behind his GM board.

~

And yet you know instinctively that something is amiss - you can smell it in the very air you breathe, hear it in the buzz of insects and whispering winds. The forest is trying to tell you something, something very important. Danger is near, and growing. By the end of the second day in the bogs, your nerves are on end and the slightest movement of creatures within the bog has you jumping, and your weapons are almost all out all the time. You're running on little sleep, but remain determined to see danger before it comes.

~

Widget raised his hooves sharply, eyes aglow. "Finally, at long last, you can hear a loud call from the head caravan pony, a shout of fright that echoes back among the ranks! From out of the bog forests jump--"

He staggered to a stop and looked up, his GMGM (Game Master Great Monologue) interrupted by the appearance of Silver Bolt. "Oh! Hello, there," he said brightly to the newcomer. "You haven't come to play, have you? You have great timing if you do."
Shai Ni
 player, 96 posts
 Bringer of rice candies,
 noodles, and tea
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 06:23
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Staring intently at Widget as if he was telling a suspense story, Shai Ni sipped on her drink and nibbled on the assorted snacks as he got closer and closer to the big reveal of what was (possibly) attacking the caravans, when suddenly, he stopped.  She was far too into the tale to notice him address the newcomer as she pranced in place and asked, "What?  What jumps out from the bog?!  Hydras?  Vampiric Swine?  Space hamsters?"
Twilight Sparkle
 player, 29 posts
 GMGF
 RPG Nooblet
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 07:07
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"No, it can't be Space Hamsters.  Those are way too high level for a starting campaign."  Twilight mentioned as she quickly flipped open the monstrous manual to double-check the threat range of that particular monster.
Starcrasher
 player, 47 posts
 Element of Elemental
 Elementalness
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 17:07
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Starcrasher was listening intently, her enthusiasm and imagination helping her a great deal in really seeing the scene play out in front of her. And then, Widget paused for a moment to greet the new Pony that had come walking into the shop. Shai Ni's comment however caused a mischievous grin to appear on her face as she looked at the fellow unicorn.

- "Why, isn't it obvious? We've encountered a Silver Bolt!"

She chuckled before turning to the actual Silver Bolt, and giving him a hoofwave and an apologetic smile, figuring he had probably missed the joke.
Silver Bolt
 player, 2 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2013
at 22:14
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
”No, no.  No emergency.  Well, unless you consider needing a stiff drink after fouling up three perfectly good bitterbark staves in one afternoon an Emergency…  But, if you had a sign out there before, it must have blown away…” he punctuated his theory with a shiver.

Widget got his attention as he asked if he was there to play, and commented on him having perfect timing if he did.  Odd comments about undead livestock and space-faring rodents left him genuinely perplexed.

”Honestly, I’ve never really seen …. whatever it is you’re doing…”
Wordsmith
 player, 125 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2013
at 23:48
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Coulda sworn..." Wordsmith sighed, shrugging, "Well, Bolt, we're playing Ponies and Perils.  It's a table-top Roleplaying Game.  We write up characters and one pony, Widget in this case, takes our characters through a story that's been written up; either by said Pony-in-charge, or a pre-written adventure by the game's creators." he explained

He looked to Widget, "I'll be right back.  I just... can't be rude" he coughed, his powder blue muzzle turning a bit purple as he got from his seat and motioned Silver Bolt over to the bar
Loose Leaf
 player, 78 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2013
at 00:30
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"It's pretty awesome... you know, for a nerd thing," Loose Leaf said, drowning the last part out with her strong drink. Truth be told she hadn't had this much fun in quite some time and was already thinking of backstory and other tid bits for Samedi.

"You should play. Help us save a world."
Silver Bolt
 player, 3 posts
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 00:07
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
The Trottish stallion followed Word over to the bar and had a seat to wait for his friend to fill him a tankard of “best,” a Trottish term that Silver knew wasn’t really used much locally, but after many conversations (and much "field research"), the stallions had agreed that the closest thing the Quill and Anvil had to good old Trottish “best”, was the Apples’ Black Label Hard Cider.

Silver turned around and looked the table over a little closer.  As he did he realized that the pieces were positioned on a map, and the various books were filled with amazing pictures and long paragraphs of text.

”Looks sort of like…. A board game with a story?”

He mused over Loose Leaf’s invitation to play.

”Are you sure?  Somepony would have to teach me the rules, I’m afraid…”
Widget Whatsits
 GM, 33 posts
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 00:40
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Don't worry!" said Widget invitingly, motioning toward the table. "I'm pretty sure almost no pony here except me has even played before. I have abounding patience for those who wish to learn! Twilight, you know the rules best besides me. Would you help him do a quick character sheet during battle? He should be finished just in time to jump in to play."

He paused, stroking his chin as he glared behind his DM board. "Where was I... Oh yes, of course!" He raised up his hooves, glasses flashing again. "At long last, you can hear a loud call from the head caravan pony, a shout of fright that echoes back among the ranks!" He tosses his head, blue magic enveloping several game tokens and spreading them out over the map spread out on the table around the player tokens. "Suddenly, a herd of Gryffons burst forth from the bog surrounding the path. All of them are dressed in what is unmistakably guard uniforms and wielding spears. It's apparent even now that talking is not going to do any of you any good. Everypony, roll your initiative and we'll get this thing started."
Shai Ni
 player, 97 posts
 Bringer of rice candies,
 noodles, and tea
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 05:45
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Quickly re-reading the initial bit on combat, and ignoring all the notes in the margins of her book, Shai Ni levitates a d10 before making it roll on the table, where it hits one of the many dishes, bounces off, and stops on her character sheet.

"It says nine.  We want high numbers, yes?"

22:41, Today: Shai Ni rolled 9 using 1d10. Whoops.
Starcrasher
 player, 48 posts
 Element of Elemental
 Elementalness
Thu 19 Sep 2013
at 10:02
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Starcrasher rubbed her hooves together, eager to get this thing going. With the briefest of glances at her teacher, she too levitated a ten-sided die before letting it drop, but while it threatened to bounce off like Shai's had, in her case it bounced off a small invisible barrier she had set up around part of the table's surface to keep the die from doing just that.

Well... calling it a 'barrier' would be a little bit too optimistic, it was more telekinetically holding air in place than anything resembling a barrier that had trembled at even a touch as light as that of the die, but Canterlot wasn't built in a day. Or maybe it was, the Princesses' magical abilities were rumored to be immeasurable after all. Eh, old sayings... She looked at what the die had actually landed on.

- "Well, high or low, i'll be right down the middle either way."

11:56, Today: Starcrasher rolled 5 using 1d10. Initiative.
Wordsmith
 player, 126 posts
Fri 20 Sep 2013
at 02:35
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Wordsmith jokingly rolled his eyes at Widget's comment, "I didn't think I was -that- rusty Widge." he playfully stuck out his tongue as he poured Silver Bolt a Black Label Apple Cider.

"Come on Silver, I can loan you some dice." He motioned back to the table as he trotted back to his seat next to LooLea.

Picking up his own dice by scooping it into a small leather cup, he clapped a hoof over it, shook it and plunked it down, open-end down, lifting off the cup to reveal the die.



21:34, Thu 19 Sept 2013: Wordsmith rolled 8 using 1d10 ((8))
Twilight Sparkle
 player, 30 posts
 GMGF
 RPG Nooblet
Wed 9 Oct 2013
at 06:51
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Ooh!  You have nothing to worry about.  I've already memorized most of the rule books."  Twilight sat up straighter with pride as she gestured for Silver Bolt to come join them.  She quickly scrounged up a spare character sheet and quill.  "Now, let's figure out what role you want to play..."

Half-distracted, Twilight scooped up a die with a flick of her wing and gave it a roll.  Pretty low result, actually... well, no worries.  It just gave her more time to focus on helping get Silver Bolt set up.  Multitasking!

23:48, Today: Twilight Sparkle rolled 2 using 1d10. Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:51, Wed 09 Oct 2013.

Loose Leaf
 player, 79 posts
Wed 9 Oct 2013
at 23:53
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Loose Leaf grinned at the new stallion, hopping just a bit that he would himself make a male character as well. As much as she was sure Samedi and Feather Fall wouldn't mind an adventure surrounded by lovely ladies, she knew that another male might add some balance. At the same time, a stallion having the confidence to play a girl? Now that would be something.

Her father was right, gender switching was fun. And for so long she figured it was just a psychologist quirk. Not at all. It was something that was within all of them. Maybe it had to do with unlocking her inner gentelcolt, or had nothing to do with herself. Maybe she was just curious. Thought it was cool. But she looked into Samedi as a character and could feel... a sort of admiration? He was dark yes. What necromancers wasn't? But he was good at heart. Nobel, and maybe if she played him right... even a hero? It was something Loose Leaf could admire.

Something she wanted.

Silently regarding Silver Bolt as he sat, passing him a drink when he did, she turned her attention back to the story at hand.

"Wait, what do you mean we can't talk this out? How does it look that way? Like are they just stabbing people or just looking really really fierce? Could we just look really fierce too, maybe intimidate them away? I'll just roll my die now..." Loose Leaf's said, her voice growing softer as the others all jumped on rolling for battle initiative. Blushing a bit, she did the same. Samedi's kind nature was starting to affect her already.

Time to rofl stomp was time to rofl stomp already.

~**~

Samedi has stayed near the back of the caravan, his height and stature making him an obvious choice to watch the back. However, from the looks of the other caravan ponies, he could tell there was another reason why he was probably being pushed back their with their eyes.

Fear.

His kind of magic was not one he advertised, but it wasn't like he was going to hide it from those he needed to protect. They had to all work as a team now, and that sort of secrecy could be detrimental to the mission and the function of the group itself. So he stayed there, trying to pass smiles where he could get them and chat where he could, hoping to warm a couple of them up aside from his new teammates. Like him, they were here for their own set of special skills, and he felt a little more at ease concerning his powers around other ponies more used to the unknown.

A display of his abilities perhaps would be coming sooner than he anticipated. His wounded ears twitched, the range springing memories of his life in the army. The front lines, the anticipation of battle as the fogs came and hearts beat before the mind could even realize why. Funny how the body seemed to know before the soul did. He stomped his hooves on the ground as his nerves rose, standing on guard.

The griffins appeared, crashing towards the caravan. Samedi held his ground, readying for an attack, and his jagged horn glowed with black magic.

"Get behind me!" he ordered, hoping that the near by caravan workers would move behind his massive body as he attacked. It wasn't until that black magic glowed on his horn and his dark mane wafted in the breeze, Samedi looked as terrifying as his name sake.

Loose Leaf rolled 6 using 1d10
Silver Bolt
 player, 4 posts
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 21:39
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Silver gratefully took the mug of cider and made his way over to the table.  Twilight seemed to make room for him at the table as she produced a piece of paper similar to the ones in front of each player, only blank.

Everypony was rolling dice and comparing numbers.  Even if it didn’t make a lot of sense to him yet, he had to admit, he was intrigued.

He looked at the book in front of him:  the Core Rulebook.    He took it in his magic and opened the cover to read the first page.  Within a few moments he had read the introductory passage.

”So… I just pick a race and a class? … And that’s it?”  He raised an eyebrow toward Twilight, his instructor in learning the game, before flipping a couple more pages to come to the sections on Race and Class.  He skimmed his options, not knowing how to weigh them to find the best ones to choose.

”Whoa, there are so many combinations!  How do you know which one to pick?”
Wordsmith
 player, 127 posts
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 21:48
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Generally you choose what sounds interesting." Wordsmith smiled, "I've played enough to were I'm going 'what's needed in the party' because I'm fine with playing pretty much anything.  Though it Has been a while since I played and I forgot how fun it is getting together in a group like this" he chuckled
Shai Ni
 player, 100 posts
 Bringer of rice candies,
 noodles, and tea
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 21:53
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Without thinking of the consequences, Shai Ni looked over at Silver Bolt and said with a smile, "Well, we do not have a bear."
Starcrasher
 player, 50 posts
 Element of Elemental
 Elementalness
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 01:41
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Starcrasher frowned for a moment as she linked two pieces of information together in her mind, and looked up at Widget when she heard Shai bring up bears.

- "Speaking of, would bear characters get some kind of bonus to hide with us being in the forest and all?"

She looked back at the table. So far, she had rolled initiative, so all that was left to do was wait for Widget to let them know how the attackers were approaching, and what their initiative thingie was so she'd know who would get to hit the other first. Or something like that.
Widget Whatsits
 GM, 35 posts
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 03:51
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
Widget sighed slowly. "I do not approve of bears. They muddle the campaign. Especially with a new player. We could do with a Cleric or Tracker or a Rogue, really, but don't feel limited. Just... no bears, please." He shook his head and turned back to his board, rolling a hooffull of dice and counting them while glancing over the table's results. "Alright. The order of attack is as follows; Everyone listening? Shai Ni, Wordsmith, Loose Leaf, the Gryffins, Starcrasher, and finally Twilight. We'll bump you in as soon as you're ready to go, Silver Bolt."

He looked back to the table. "There are twelve gryffins you can see in total. Six at the head of the caravan near you, two at the rear and four along the sides of the caravan. The light is low, but you can pick out three, perhaps four, figures moving in the shadows behind the tree line in the air." He turned his attention to Shai. "Your move first."
Shai Ni
 player, 101 posts
 Bringer of rice candies,
 noodles, and tea
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 06:02
Re: IC: Roll The Dice - It Builds Character: The Quill and Anvil
"Um," Shai Ni said as she bit her lower lip and tried to think of what to do.

-~***~-

Narrowing her eyes, Merry Rose burst into action, flicking open her helmet and charging the largest mass of gryphons at the head of the caravan as she pulled out her enormous club with her teeth.  As she let loose a primal battle cry through her bite, she swung with a very sickening crunch on a gryphon's neck and continued the swing through the entire front line.

-~***~-

Looking at the die she had rolled, she looked up and said, "Rolling a ten on a Cleave attack is good, yes?  And... and I think I get a +2 from my cutie mark bonus for giant weapons."

21:48, Today: Shai Ni rolled 10 using 1d10. Weee!
Huh.  Look at that.  Doom.  That's a 12 total, with it being a nat 10.