Chicago.   Posted by Shepherd.Group: 0
The Werewolf
 player, 5 posts
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 00:28
Re: Chicago
Staring at the slowly dispersing toughs as the rain began to settle into the Werewolfs fur, he felt a creeping horror that had nothing to do with the trickles of water gathering along his muzzle.  As the young men scattered slowly into the gathering rain, he gave a shudder.  He muttered to himself as the dull eyed crews went by.  "What is going on here..."
He stopped one of the trailing boys on their way out of the alley.  "Alright kid.  Something is going on here.  What are you all getting into?  Whats got you all so... out of it?"
Mongoose
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 06:04
Re: Chicago
You smell him before you see him, a human presence above the ground. Directing your eyes as your nose suggests reveals a costumed man, crouched on the sill of a closed window. "It's like this everywhere. I caught up with a handful of VA a few hours ago. They'd drilled into a bank vault from a tunnel beneath the foundation. When I got in they were all lounging on the sacks of cash. Before I said a word, one of 'em looks at me and says, 'we surrender, just give us 30 to clean up'."
"Then they walked down the block and turned themselves in at the precinct. The rain makes it worse."
"I'm going to assume you're not what you look like, that or you decided those walking dead were too easy to prey on. Mine's Mongoose, whaddaya go by?"

The Werewolf
 player, 6 posts
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 11:29
Re: Chicago
Leaving the passive young gang-punk to wander away, the Werewolf turned his full attention on the newly revealed costume.  He bared a carnivores grin, full of sharp teeth but bereft of menace at the assumption.
"I'm not your average howl-at-the-moon Hollywood type, if that's what you mean.  I might sometimes get a little rough with the bad guys, but they know the risks of crossing the law with heroes about.  I go by Werewolf.  Seemed kind of expected of me."
He absently twitched his shoulders, shaking loose a few more gathered beads of the soft but insistent rain and continued watching the other hero, waiting for more on the sudden lethargy amongst criminals and apparently police alike.
Mongoose
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 05:17
Re: Chicago
Mongoose pushes off from the window sill, touches the fire escape in two places, and lands lightly in the alley. "I don't know what it is, can't feel it myself, but there's something going on. It's as if the emotional energy is being sucked from everyone in the city. I'm mostly just a street crime guy, this is outta my league, by a fair margin."
"I'm gonna call it a night, if you find out anything about this ennui, and need an extra fist or two, I'm in the phone book."

As he starts to walk out of the alley, the rain increases, perhaps attempting to wash the colors from life in the city.
The Werewolf
 player, 7 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 08:53
Re: Chicago
He nodded a farewell to Mongoose, "I'll remember that, if something comes up.  I'm going to need to find some kind of mystic I guess."
He looked up into the darkening sky as the rain beat down.  As water coursed down over his fur, he searched his mental list of trustworthy heroes for one that might be able to tell him more about the spreading malaise.
Sariel
 player, 2 posts
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 20:40
Re: Chicago
It was right about then that a rather large man walked by the alley unfussed by the rain. There was a rather unique dome around him that worked like a windshield keeping him dry. He was walking with his nose in a book and a glowing finger providing great detail of a big book he was reading. His finger beat a glow twice and he looked over at the werewolf. "dead end... do you happen to know where I can find the magic box occult store?"
The Werewolf
 player, 8 posts
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 23:27
Re: Chicago
This is too much like coincidence.  But gift horses...
The Werewolf eyed the sudden, urbane newcomer carefully as the thought crossed his mind, absently noting the dry bubble around him and the book in the mans hand.  He narrowed his eyes against the rain beating down and spattering from the mans shield and replied levelly "You're a couple of streets out, I think.  I can probably get you pretty close, if you wouldn't mind lending me a little expertise on the way?"
Sariel
 player, 3 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 03:15
Re: Chicago
He raised a eyebrow and gave a nod. "I'm a professor, I don't lend information I give it freely." He waited a moment and opened a hole in his odd ball force wall he was using as a umbrella.  He had dealt with magical creatures for a very long time so a werewolf was about a 1 on a scale to 10 on his strange monster scale. That and he could use the saliva of the werewolf could be used back at the school.

"What can I help you with?"
The Werewolf
 player, 9 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 09:30
Re: Chicago
The Werewolf nodded at the statement before gesturing that they should set off at a walk.  "Well professor, I don't know if you've noticed, but people are suddenly running out of 'go'.  I just spoke to a guy who went in to bust up a bank robbery and the guys just turned themselves in, no fuss, no fight, no anything.  And that just isn't natural.  That makes it more your kind of thing than mine."
Shepherd
 GM, 22 posts
 Don't worry, be generic
 I know I will
Sat 23 Feb 2013
at 18:55
Re: Chicago
The rain drops steadily, with no promise of abatement. It has become common to see young men in tan spandex with "SB" embroidered on the hollow of their left shoulder. Those that have lived on the river long enough knew to expect The Sandbaggers to go into action.
Sariel
 player, 4 posts
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 17:59
Re: Chicago
He tilts his head side to side as he reviews the question. "Its not the rain but what it is bringing with it. Each drop holds a trace of a energy transfer spell. When it strikes a bit of their mental energy burns off of them like steam. Where you see someone getting drenched I see them steaming like fire girl on a rainy day." he indicated the shield over their heads. "Most heroes have a natural defense of some kind or at least have more of a inflated ego of themselves. This acts like a brick wall, water will at some point break down the brick to powder but that would take a insanely long time. The normal Joe on the street doesn't have nearly the mental bastion a hero would."

"Thats why the shield protects from the rain, its has a minor block on mental attacks. Over exposure will eventually result in even heros failing. Effectively the mage who conjured this spell is sacrificing potency for attrition. He or she is covering a massive space so their effect is weak, but over time it still has the desired effect."

"Dispelling the magic would have to be done at ground zero to the effect. The magic has already worked its bit on the people so you would get more benefit from healing them."

"Its hard to really pin it all down to a good counter. Without knowing what resources I can use here I cant think exactly of what I could do."

Talisman
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 05:04
Re: Chicago
A woman suddenly appears, sitting on a trash can as if it were a dias. Her black leather outfit marks her as either a biker chick or a super-person, and her face is difficult to see; it is blurred as if she's the suspect in a cop-based reality show. She addresses Sariel as if he should know her, while her nonverbal cues seem to challenge anyone to claim they do not know who she is, I must say, I didn't expect you to be quite so pedantic. Besides, you haven't considered the rain as a side-effect, rather than the main focus, of the worker's magics.
Sariel
 player, 5 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 05:26
Re: Chicago
He gave a nod to the point. "Yes, that happens alot. Mages tend to pop in on one another alot." He said to the werewolf predicting a thought. he then turned to smile at the woman, "I will have you know that curmudgeonism is a past time for men who reach the ripe old age of a hundred. I may still have my youthful good looks but you know very well old men like me get caught in the details."

He reached into his duster and pulled out a old silk top hat that he then popped out and pulled from inside of it a umbrella that had the wooden head of a bird in Mary Poppins fashion and offered it to the lady. "I was more considering it a way to recharge a arcane battery. To fuel the storm itself. If the storm itself is a side effect that means it would be the eye of the storm that the spell is taking place. Though that does not give elevation. If I recall one of the Merlins had a cloud castle that did something similar. What are your theories love?"
The Werewolf
 player, 10 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 16:24
Re: Chicago
Nodding slowly as he followed Sariels description, the Werewolf halted on the verge of asking a question of the first mystic as the second arrived.  He bit down on his query as the two seemed about to launch into some kind of magic debate.  Instead, he asked the more obvious and pressing question.  "OK.  Great.  So its magic, you have some idea what the spell is, its something to do with the big storm.  Now, who are you, who is this woman, and what exactly can we do about it?."
Talisman
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 04:55
Re: Chicago
Although her voice is level, and what is said comes out in a subdued and controlled manner, behind the words there seems to be a spirit shrieking in rage.
"Who am I?"
"You don't know who I am?"
"I could tell you weren't a real werewolf, now the provenance of your brain is in question. I'm Talisman, furry man. Now excuse me while I see if this gentleman can teach me anything."

Turning her attention to Sariel, the woman goes on, "That's what I heard, anyway. That you're a teacher and you've opened a school. Would you be holding any advanced classes?"
Sariel
 player, 6 posts
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 05:30
Re: Chicago
He nodded at talisman, "She is a magos. There are several forms of spell casters in the world. Adept are your common breed, they have just a few tricks at the disposal and are the most common.  A Wizard is a spellcaster who has the ability to make up magic on the fly, very versatile but their magic tends to be a bit more weak. she and I fall under the category of magos, we both have commonly memorized spells and the ability to make up magic on the fly, best of both worlds. If I will call she's taken on some of the most powerful wizard in the world come out on top. Am I about spot on?" He gave her a smile.

"As far as advanced classes, there's not normal a call for such things. Everyone seems to think vampires are attractive and all you need to cast magic is a scar in a wand. Though for somebody like you? Well I think I could dabble in ritual magic. Classes on advanced dracology and occult are on thursdays. But I wonder as to you tastes. pre constructed social norms seems to run rampant around here, I wonder if you could be the prodigy that is seen were all others fail."
Talisman
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 05:12
Re: Chicago
She floats from her place on the trash cans, and hovers horizontally as she moves closer. Her legs are bent at the knees and her ankles cross in the air almost directly above the tops of her thighs. Her elbows are out in front of her, and she has her chin resting on her hands. It is the position of a teen-aged girl watching television, although done without television or floor.
She floats to within a meter or so of the two men, and addresses Sariel, "To be honest, which is harder than you might think, I'm interested in what you've done to be around so long. Did it involve some kind of sacrifice? Do you steal years from other people?"
"I'm sure I could find any subjects I might need, so how about you let me see your grimoire?"

After an appraising look at The Werewolf, she addresses him, "I'm sorry I snapped at you. I bet you're used to that going the other way."
Sariel
 player, 7 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 05:36
Re: Chicago
He gave her a sly grin of someone who had been asked that question many man times. "Its far more easy than you may think. And would require far more than any could dream." He made a sweeping gesture. "All magic has a time limit, if you try to attain eternal youth through magic, all your doing is slowing the clock down. No matter how powerful the magic it all has a time limit."

"True eternal youth springs forth from the minds awareness. As your self about the most simple of illusions, morality. Its no more evil for a viper to kill a fluffy bunny than it is to eat a hamburger. Good and evil become present only in observation. At its core that's all anything is, observation. Science comes closer every day to understanding that observation creates universe."

"If you want, I can teach you the awareness but it wont be easy nor will it be quick. Both good and evil must be left behind before you are able to take on the more advanced side. Hell, I dont do the things I do because I want to be nice, I do them because I enjoy how things are being run and I want to see the end conclusion. I have my own code of conduct and anything past that is fair game."
He smiled like a Cheshire cat. "Evil and good will hold you back, can you learn to rule yourself before you learn to rule the laws that govern your existence?"
The Werewolf
 player, 11 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 13:16
Re: Chicago
The Werewolf managed a wry grin.  "You'd be surprised how many people expect me to be stupid and feral.  Really not the case.  And I've said, I don't do magic; I don't deal with magic users either.  I deal with thugs on the street who've decided the law doesn't matter to them.  Heroes come and go and most of them don't trust me.  And thats fine.  And all this relative morality is great.  Really, really riveting stuff.  But right now, theres..."
He broke off as his little police radio squawked again, and the voice of Doctor Apocalypse rasped across the airwaves.  Despite the poor quality receiver, the message came through clear enough to make sense.  As it died back to static, He looked at the other two again.
"Oh Hell.  And New York too?  I hate that place."
Talisman
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 1 Mar 2013
at 07:22
Re: Chicago
Talisman hears Apocalypse, and frowns at Sariel. "You're not as bad as my sister, but evil doesn't teach. You can trust me on that, if you dare."
"I'm going to look up the doctor, but I want to know how to stay young forever, and I always take what I want."

Zipping vertically through the rain, the woman leaves.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:38, Thu 07 Mar 2013.

Shepherd
 GM, 41 posts
 Don't worry, be generic
 I know I will
Thu 7 Mar 2013
at 05:53
Re: Chicago
The rain begins to lessen, and everything seems extraordinarily quiet. Then the faint sound of hard-soled shoes on wet pavement drifts through the night. The footsteps become louder, and a figure can be seen approaching. He is looking up into the air as he approaches Sariel. "Godspeed and good riddance."
He gives The Werewolf an appraising glance, and speaks, "I thought she'ld never leave. My name is Xavier, and I represent Unuiĝintaj Nacioj Tribunalo por Internacia Leĝaj Aferoj, and you're Sariel. We need your expertise."
"There is to be a demonstration in Times Square, and we need someone to observe and inform UNTIL as to the presence of mystical or otherworldly power at work. Unfortunately, we can't put a team in place. So we are relying on public-minded citizens with certain faculties to help us."
"We have jet at O'Hare, waiting, and would appreciate you being on it, this is your boarding pass."

He hands Sariel a featureless, yellow, metallic card. Then turns to go, but stops before he takes a step and looks at The Werewolf. He squints with one eye, then pulls another metallic card from his pocket and presents it to The Werewolf, "They just told me you get a ticket, as well."
The Werewolf
 player, 14 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2013
at 10:46
Re: Chicago
The Werewolf narrowed his eyes in a glare at the latest in this string of sudden arrivals and departures.  "Its so nice of UNTIL to take such an interest in me.  Nothing like being wanted, huh?"
He restrained himself from snatching the card from the mans hand, but stalked quickly past muttering imprecations.
"New York, giant smart storms, stupid damn big and clever organisations..."
Sgt. Derwood
Fri 8 Mar 2013
at 06:27
Re: Chicago
"Don't take it personal, they're even sending an invite to Captain Karma. UNTIL isn't being allowed on scene, and they doubt PRIMUS's ability to handle it."
Leaving a few more of the cards on the ground, and nodding, Sgt. Derwood walks away.
The Werewolf
 player, 15 posts
Fri 8 Mar 2013
at 08:11
Re: Chicago
OOC: Headed for O'Hare and the waiting plane.  Then I suppose its off to New York New York.
Shepherd
 GM, 52 posts
 Don't worry, be generic
 I know I will
Tue 12 Mar 2013
at 04:59
Re: Chicago
The jet at the airport is being attended by nondescript individuals out of uniform. As soon as the jet is full (not all the passengers wear spandex), it taxis into position, and takes off. You are met at the airport and driven to Times Square. The driver of the airport cab drops you off and heads away, obviously unwilling to linger in the vicinity of what could be a disaster.