And so Battle is Joined...   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Camella Catkins
 player, 180 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Tue 27 May 2014
at 14:47
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"Well, now that you're put out, lets get after that rat before he catches up with Henry!" Camella says helping Gunnar up before setting off in the direction of the exit, sling in hand.
Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 257 posts
 Dwarf Miner
 W 14/16, FP 0/2
Tue 27 May 2014
at 21:28
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Smouldering both literally and figuratively Gunnar snatches up his pickaxe and charges for the surface.
Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 233 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Tue 27 May 2014
at 22:55
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Arianrhod follows the others up the hill, bow in hand as she prepares to slay the bastard rat. When she sees it she aims and fires an arrow.

(for when I get in range)
Ariarnhod Andraste rolled 62 using 1d100 with rolls of 62. Archery (64 ). 49+10(aim)+5(bow quality)
Ariarnhod Andraste rolled 7 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 4. damage. ignores 1 point of armour.

Heinricus Von Otger
 player, 119 posts
 Human Noble
 3/10
Wed 28 May 2014
at 15:51
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"Let's have it then." Heinricus said, tightening his grip on his rapier and parrying dagger." He started forward, at a steady pace, lightly swinging his sword making a swish as it cut the air. He waited until he was 5 feet from the creature before lunging forward to pierce with his sword, keeping his knife ready to counter a parry.





11:51, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 8 using 1d100. Counter (43).
11:50, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 4 using 1d10+2. Damage?
11:49, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 92 using 1d100. Fp.
11:49, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 45 using 1d100. Attack (43).

Game Master
 GM, 467 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 03:15
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
It is with those words that battle is joined. Snikkit instantly draws another sword and launches himself forwards. Henri's first attack misses and his counter-attack is easily dodged by the Assassin. In turn, the Skaven rushes through Henri's defenses and attempts to deliver a cruel blow to his ribs.

OOC: Either you block it or you're dealt 10 damage to the body, Henri. At that point, you have no wounds, you take a -20 penalty to your next roll, and keep fighting on.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:18, Thu 29 May 2014.

Heinricus Von Otger
 player, 120 posts
 Human Noble
 3/10
Thu 29 May 2014
at 05:05
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
OOC: I mistyped... it shouldn't be counter... there is not counter skill that 8 was my parry roll.
Game Master
 GM, 468 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 03:25
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
OOC: Ah

Henri manages to block Snikkit's blow. At this point, he unleashes two attacks, one that misses Henri's leg and another that heads directly to the left arm.

OOC: Block or 11 damage and you're stunned

Meanwhile, Aria finally reaches the surface and begins to take aim at the Skaven...
Heinricus Von Otger
 player, 122 posts
 Human Noble
 3/10
Sat 31 May 2014
at 02:27
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Batting away the last attack, Heinricus lunged forward, overextending himself a bit to strike at the rat creature. Overextended as he was, he couldn't bring his main-gauche around to parry and hoped his attack would strike first.





I don't remember who strikes first. Any chance Henri struck first? If not he's stunned.
18:44, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 10 using 1d10+2. Damage.
18:44, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 15 using 1d100. Attack 43.
18:44, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 99 using 1d100. Parry 43 last fp.
18:42, Today: Heinricus Von Otger rolled 85 using 1d100. Parry 43.

Game Master
 GM, 470 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 05:18
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Both Henri and Snikkit strike one another at the same time. Henri's attack looks like it is going to smash into Snikkit's ribs and then the Skaven dodges to the right at the last second. Henri is only able to watch his blade sail harmlessly through where Snikkit once was before the Skaven's sword smashes into his ribcage, sending Henri reeling backwards. He tries to catch his breath, his lungs refusing to work and his nerves firing in panic as suffocation begins. Snikkit raises both of his blade at once, ready to decapitate the man with a single stroke.

It is at this point that Ariarnhod lets loose her arrow as the first of the Skaven's swords smashes into Henri's skull. Henri is sent reeling, a vicious cut carved across the top of his head. Snikkit is dealt a far worse blow. Aria's arrow takes him in the right arm and utterly destroys it, almost severing the limb at the elbow. Blood pumps furiously from the mangled mass of meat and bone before the Skaven falls to the ground, knocking Henri over. It whispers something and then lies very still.


Before you have too much time to react the watch is all over your group, having arrived in unusual force (and in terrible time). The four of you are immediately hauled to Schtuzmann, Camella given time to treat all of you for your wounds, while the surviving sewer watch (namely a very shaken Glindly) are given what treatment they can be. Meanwhile the dwarfs continue on to their holdfast, muttering something about how it's about damn time that the elf finally did something useful. You can sense that's the closest that Aria will get to a "Good job" from them. None of the watch seems too eager to talk. The surviving members of Henri's mercenaries (one Black Blood Brother and Tumas) both say they'll meet him later at the inn you're staying at for their payment, knowing better than to get involved in whatever you're into.


"What. The. Hell" states Schutzmann blankly, "Cult activity, beastmen attacks, Skaven Assassins, fanatic of Ulric fighting off daemons, a female halfling healer saving the day, an elf deciding to worship Sigmar to gain a boon against a rat-daemon trying to kill innocent civilians in the streets, and the dwarfs beginning to mobilize great numbers of troops in the area you came out of claiming they're having a war game... what happened down there" he asks.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:56, Sun 01 June 2014.

Camella Catkins
 player, 182 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Sat 31 May 2014
at 12:56
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Grateful for the chance to see to her comrade's injuries before being dragged off to by the Watch, and also pleased to see Glindly roused from unconsciousness, Camella tends to Henry's wounds first first seeing as he has the most recent injury, before tending to Aria then Gunnar, not that the dwarf needed much bandaged.
OOC: Since Bio's aren't always updated when they should be, and after doing some back tracking, I'm going to assume that Henry is heavily wounded, while Aria and Gunnar are lightly wounded, in which case, Henry and Gunnar each recover 2 wounds, while thanks to a poor roll Aria only recovers 1.

Once they were finally standing before Schutzmann however, Camella kept quiet as he spoke, a small smile spreading across her lips at the mention of her exploits. Clearly Glindly must have spoken well of her deeds, a kindness Camella would have to repay later that night, assuming the poor man was well enough to manage a pie as well as she could a sausage. So when the question finally came, Camella answered with her usual levity. "I do believe the so called Beastmen were in fact Skaven." Camella began with a grin. "As for the cult, apparently some escaped and frankly deranged Human slaves of the Druchii have taken up residency in your sewers and perhaps even in the town itself. They worship some Elf god of war and murder named 'Khaine'." She stated exaggerating Aria's accent. "Carry saw toothed blades at all times and have a distinctive scorpion tattoo somewhere on their body, Professor Ludmil Herzberg would be able to tell you more." She added to help identify them.

"As for the Ulrician fanatic, I do believe Henry would be the one to ask." She claimed as she got to her own exploits. "As for myself I'm not one for bragging much, especially when so many have died today, but I am happy that more still draw breath then would otherwise without my assistance. Though I would be happier with umm, proper compensation?" Camella suggested before clearing her throat and continuing on.

"As for Elves's worshiping Sigmar, that's a new one Aria, didn't think you had it in you, but I knew you were a Human lover after all." She teased Aria before adding. While the Dwarves were quite instrumental in helping to kill what Skaven would could find, though there could still be more down in the sewers, they are quite expansive after all. She paused to think. "I think that covers the major points. Did any of you have something to add?" She asked her companions who, besides Gunnar, were almost as much bandage as they were flesh and blood now.
Heinricus Von Otger
 player, 123 posts
 Human Noble
 3/10
Sat 31 May 2014
at 22:43
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Heinricus was bleary eyed as the halfing worked over him and stitched his wounds. His breathing was labored and ragged, and he was worried that something had happened to his lungs. The thrown dagger wounds had been packed during the first lull in the fighting, but the trench on the side of his head and the slash to his left ribcage needed to be stitched.

He needed support as they walked to the guards, but he was thankful to be alive and no longer bleeding.

He stayed quiet as Camilla gave her explanations to the man's inquiries. "I would be dead many times over if it were not for my friend here." Heinri said wincing as he spoke. "The mad-man we found looking for Skaven and I took him to where we were attack. After raising the small force to take the tunnels we came across the assassin, who seemed to have a vendetta against me. In fact, as I'm sure your guards have told you, it chased me from the sewers and into the street. Aria literally saved my neck. As the Skaven died he said something along the lines of I should tell my masters at the Ulrican Temple that Korne will not save us from them... the Skaven. That he set something in motion and we are all going to die."
Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 235 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Sat 31 May 2014
at 23:53
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Standing just to the side of the tunnel as Schutzmann arrives, she waits while he questions and finally says "Who said I worshipped an man who died long ago?" she asks to Schutzmann "The closest you will see me worshipping your gods would be misinterpreting my prayers to Isha and Kurnous as your Rhya and Taal."

"However like the others say, they are Skaven, not mutant humans. They are a plague of intelligent rats that consume or destroy everything they come across. My Kithband has come across them sometimes, mostly smaller parties of a few dozen, at most 100. They use warpstone, and lots of it for weapons."

"I suggest increasing guard rotations around your church building, and in the sewers, get the dwarves if you can. Protect the Sigmarite church as well, it could be a diversion."
Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 258 posts
 Dwarf Miner
 W 16/16, FP 0/2
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 00:18
Re: And so Battle is Joined...


Gunnar allows himself to be led away with a minimum of fuss so long as none of them tries to lay a hand on him.

Once the others have spoken the dwarf does in fact have something to add.

"The vermin that survived our raid are dead and gone. Their hole has been burned out by my brethren making Middenheim the safer for it. You humans really ought to listen ta the dwarfs more, it would save ya a lot o' hassle and unnecessary deaths."

"I canna' say the same for the Khaine worshipers though. They likely still need some killin'."

Game Master
 GM, 472 posts
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 06:08
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Schutzmann listens to everything impassively. He then puts on a condescending tone.

"You're telling me that intelligent walking rats stalk our sewers, there's a cult worshiping a forbidden god running around ritualistically killing innocent people, the Cult of Ulric has been infiltrated by disciples of the dark gods, and the dwarfs didn't inform humanity of their intentions, but simply acted in the best interests of our common good?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Tell me, will you next say that the sky is blue or the grass is green?" asks Schutzmann with a laugh, "I am glad the Stone Lords still operate with their standard level of efficiency. Middenheim, like all cities, has its fair share of Cults of Khaine. I will send a message to the Temple of Verena that one of its investigators is needed again. As for the Cult of Ulric... they watch themselves, the Sigmarites watch them, and the Watch watches them. If a Khorne worshiper is in their ranks, we will find and eliminate him. Quitely seeing as how the Cult must be seen as being pure and not capable of having a few low ranking priests here and there corrupted. You may even be the lucky ones to find the corruption, given time. All this is nothing out of the ordinary and will be dealt with. That said, it seems that your actions with Mokton did not go unnoticed Henri" states Schutzmann, presenting a letter to you all.

"You can read it if you like, but the gist is that Father Ranulf of the Temple of Ulric officially wishes the presence of you and your retainers, Henri. One of their priests, Father Odo, has had a vision of a chaos monument that requires cleansing. He foresaw that Mokton, the White Fang, would tell them who to recruit. Mokton is still alive, thanks to you, and said that a devote worshiper of Ulric like yourself would do and no one else" he observes with a wry smile that indicates he knows Henricus is in fact a Sigmar worshiper.

"You are all to report to the Temple of Ulric in three days hence. I have no idea what this is about, but anything involving the dark gods will be brutal. I advise that you all prepare yourselves well"
Camella Catkins
 player, 184 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 09:33
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"Well it's good to know that you have that all in order... oh! Almost forgot, apparently the cultists of Khaine, or maybe this cultist of Khorne infiltrating the Ulricians you speak of, might be trying to start a war between Ulricians and Sigmarites. We came across a Sigmarite confession in a smugglers den painted with the blood of many Ulricians, while above a red skull, apparently a symbol of that Elf god was painted on the ceiling." Camella added for good measure.
Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 259 posts
 Dwarf Miner
 W 16/16, FP 0/2
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 22:57
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Gunnar grits his teeth and points a thick finger at the semi-mummified Henry.

"The next person ta call me a retainer, a henchman, a hireling, a sidekick, or any other damn thing that implies I answer to this sprat is gonna lose some teeth if it's, by Grungni, Boris Todbringer himself!

I am my own. I chose to serve Middenheim because it is my home. That clear?"

Camella Catkins
 player, 185 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 01:50
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"To be fair Gunnar, we told that one Ulrician in the sewers that we were Henry's retainers. Don't you remember?" Camella asked politely, stepping just out of striking distance just in case the grumpy dwarf got physical.
Game Master
 GM, 473 posts
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 02:36
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"There are always forces trying to start a war between the Sigmarites and Ulricans. Tension has been up recently, I'll admit, but the watch is more than equipped to handle the job. I pick my men specifically because their loyalty lies only to the city they live in" confers Schutzmann.

"I understand, Gunri Thornbeard. All assume that you have sold your services to his lordship since you follow in his company. You'll have to excuse their ignorance" grins Schutzmann, before adding in Khazalid, "Tor'un'dak Ktar Zug..."
Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 260 posts
 Dwarf Miner
 W 16/16, FP 0/2
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 03:43
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
The dwarf's eyes go wide at Camella's claim.

"No, the hell, WE did not!"

Gunnar gives a shallow nod after Schutzmann speaks in Khazalid grudgingly accepting his words.

"All assume?..ridiculous! Until we have the boy's land back he's hardly even a real noble is he? Hell's bells the truth of it is HE joined ME! Well me and the Elf but that hardly matters as it was just for directions."

He looked thoughtful and cracked his knuckles.

"If the Ulricans are confused I suppose I'll just hafta clear it up with 'em."


It is notable that while he is speaking somewhat poorly of Heinricus, Gunnar seems to regard the recovery of the young noble's family holdings, with the dwarf's assistance, as inevitable.
Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 236 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 05:11
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"This aspect of Khaine as you know it is just a false preception taught to these poor wretches by the Druchii" She says from the back of the group. "What is it you would like us to do?" She asks.
Camella Catkins
 player, 186 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 05:57
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
"Well you certainly didn't rebuke my claim when I made it so you must have accepted the need to make the claim then. Regardless, just don't pick any fights with the Ulricians, especially when there might be servants of the ruinous powers afoot. After all we wouldn't want to be caught fighting one another when the gibbering hordes of chaos come a calling, now would we?" Camella said with an exasperated sigh, Dwarfs and their grudges, Elves and their snootiness, and Humans and their deep seeded corruption. Why couldn't they all be like Halflings and enjoy the good things in life, like fornication and food?

This message was last edited by the player at 05:58, Mon 02 June 2014.

Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 261 posts
 Dwarf Miner
 W 16/16, FP 0/2
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 17:58
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Gunnar looked mildly offended.

"Pick a fight? I don't pick fights. I reward those who have earned a fight with the much deserved fruits of their labors. Anythin' else would just be rude."

He continued with a thoughtful smile enjoying the fact that he was talking over Aria's question.

"Truth is though if it would really draw out the Enemy like ya say I'd throw down with the whole Knight's Panther with my left hand and the White Wolves with my right.

Whoa be to the skull worshippin' shitbag that tried to break up that party, eh?

Doubt it'll be that easy though."

Heinricus Von Otger
 player, 124 posts
 Human Noble
 3/10
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 02:06
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Heinricus had stayed quiet, still quite wounded and not as steady on his feet as he tried to act. "Herr Thornbeard is right, he is not my retainer or follower, but I hope to think he is becoming a friend with what we have been through. He is right though, Camella and I joined with he and the Elf. And if it were not for his presence I would have perished many times over." Heinricus took to few perilous steps toward the desk, started to stumble and reached out to steady himself on the desk. "You'll have to forgive me Herr, I'm afraid I am still under the effects of Skaven poison." He reached out and took the offered letter. He turned to the group. "Would you like to see this through? I intend to visit the trip, and would feel safer with you three by my side."
Camella Catkins
 player, 187 posts
 Halfling Barber-Surgeon
 Wnds: 10/10 , FP: 1/3
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 03:08
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Not saying he is a retainer, only that he allowed a Ulrician to believe he was, so he shouldn't be surprised if the lie endured. Camella said mostly to Henry before answering his question. "To be frank Henry, you're in no position to walk anywhere, you need a couple days bed rest at the very least, preferably a couple weeks for full recovery." Camella added giving her personal medical opinion as she walked over to his side. "Even then you might till need a cane."
Game Master
 GM, 475 posts
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 03:50
Re: And so Battle is Joined...
Schutzmann lets this go on until he sees an opening.

"Thornbeard, your enemies are the same as ours. I will send a runner ahead to inform them you are no retainer, but a proud dwarf who travels with Heinricus since he leads you to your ancestral enemies. The summons says as soon as possible, but a day's rest may be in order. In fact, considering the way you lot smell after spending time in the sewers, it may be for the best" grimaces Schutzmann, "Tomorrow at 2 bells after noon, you will be there" he adds in a tone that allows for no disagreement.

"One last thing... thank you for the information. I shall put it to good use, have no fear. Do not mention that there could a Khorne Cultist in the ranks of the Temple of Ulric. You'll find you won't make many allies here if you do that" observes Schutzmann, "Also, feel free to use my warrant to get past the tolls at the gates. I have a feeling that you'll be needing your coins for provision" he finishes, fishing in his drawer before taking out a small bag of gold.

"This may help as well, friends" he adds displaying surprising warmth.

OOC: You all get 20gc to split