Planetfall.   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Gamemaster
 GM, 6 posts
 Ufufufu~
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 11:59
Planetfall
Day Six

The away team - everyone except for Claire - assembles by the teleporter pads. Equipment gathered, devices primed, spacesuits fitted just in case...

There's a strange hush, a tension in the air that steals the breath away, and ties the stomach into knots. Questions, fears, hopes, they all dance in the minds of the five gathered, and in the control centre, Claire is struck by a desperate loneliness. A realization that in mere moments, she will remain within the metal shell of the ship, all by herself.

Then, the teleporters flash, and it is done. Claire looks at readouts, in the grip of a ridiculous fear that somehow, the teleporters malfunctioned at the most crucial moment.

Then the first transmission from the planet arrives, garbled by static from a horrible signal-to-noise ratio, but it arrives, and the Clear Skies decodes an 'all clear'.

There, alone in a sea of rock, Claire Foulke exhales breath she didn't even realize she was holding.

***

The teleporters were set to place you at a high altitude, and for a moment, all of you are trapped in free fall. Then your barrier jackets activate, your devices initialize flight, and your collective fall is arrested.

You are on the planet, hovering five kilometres above sea level, looking down on a mountain. Mattias spends a brief moment to send the ship a signal, and then joins the rest of the group in taking in the view.

You find it strangely magnificent.

The planet, seen from your sensors, is seemingly unexceptional. Indeed, you're sure that out among the many planets discovered by the TSAB, there are those that are vastly more beautiful, more breathtaking. Yet, the knowledge that you are not just looking at a planet, but at a planet that no outsider has reached for what might well have been even millennia...

Beneath you stands a mountain. In the distance, you can see the peaks of more mountains still, and spreading out from the base come rolling hills and verdant forests. The land is windswept, and the grass seems tall and dry. Hints of desolation abound. You have arrived at a harsh place, and you see no farms or farmland anywhere from your vantage point.

It is overcast, great clouds masking the sun, while the wind howls, and pulls at your bodies as you float.

Slowly, you descend, landing on the peak of the nearby mountain. Your equipment is readied, and numerous tests are performed. The atmosphere proves terrestrial, as expected, and the deviance in atmospheric composition from the TSAB norm is so slight that there should be no meaningful consequences from breathing it.

Your suits are no longer necessary, and the survey equipment will slowly accumulate more data, and pulse to the ship from the attached communications relay.

So there you stand, on a foreign world, with nothing to do but explore.

What then, shall you look for? And where might you find it?


Theodore Sharpe
 player, 13 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 21:52
Re: Planetfall
Planetfall, Day Four Post Clusterfuck.


"Reminds me of the mountains near Cranagan" I mused out loud, taking in the view. I didn't mind enclosed spaces, but one month in a small space was somewhat tiring.

"So, what do the rest of you think we should do?" I queried the group. Oh sure, I was the captain but asking for input made more sense than just forcing a decision. Besides, would they even listen if I tried.
Namlos Blitzklinge
 player, 7 posts
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 21:58
Re: Planetfall


"Splittin' up would make sense. We can remain in contact with each other easily enough, and it would allow us to cover more ground in a short period of time. Our primary purpose, methinks, would be to get at least a quick look at that nearby settlement we saw from orbit. Methinks that getting a good sense of the lay of the land would be a good idea, an' we might find some smaller settlements while we're at it."

He could barely refrain from skipping around and praising the heavens like some sort of crazed fool.

He'd never liked spaceships, much. You can't hit a hostile spaceship over the head with a sword and expect it to go down, and, as he'd recently noted, if absolutely anything at all went wrong they instantly turned into death traps.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Tue 01 Oct 2013.

Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 5 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 06:08
Re: Planetfall
Mattias shakes his head. "Let's not split up. Even if we assume that the natives are peaceful and don't have social rules that would make them attack some of us on sight.. like, say, no unescorted women or something, we don't know what the wildlife is like. I'd like to have backup if something is big enough to try to take a bite out of us."
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 5 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 18:03
Re: Planetfall


'Well, this is certainly visually appealing.' - Gladyn thought, enjoying the mountain air.

"I could get some altitude and scout the area. I'm fairly sure I'm the best flier amongst us, after all." - she said - "However, I'd prefer if we stayed together, otherwise."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:05, Sat 13 Apr 2013.

Agatha Dietrich
 player, 2 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 03:25
Re: Planetfall
Agatha took a breath of fresh spring air. "Um, I think maybe a combination of the two would be best? Maybe everyone should partner up with someone? I- please hold on a second."

Hovering in mid-air, Agatha made alterations to her flight spell. Rapid telepathic transmissions flew between her and Sacred Messiah.

Atmospheric density was taken into account. Gaseous compositions calculated for. Wind currents and other factors minded in an impressive display of on the spot spell alteration.

In the span of a few moments or so, the flight spell had been completely customized for the planet's atmosphere. Sacred Heart would continue to monitor for slight atmospheric changes and make the corresponding changes, but there would be no oversight needed for that.

"OK. I'm done." Agatha flew around in a few circles. She was a little bit faster. "I think I might be able to keep up with you, Ms. Briallen, if you slowed down a bit."
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 7 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 09:09
Re: Planetfall

Mattias nods. "Partners sounds good to me. Start with a fast overhead survey, look for smoke, houses, craters, other signs of locals?"
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 19 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 09:36
Re: Planetfall
"I don't see a problem with that."
Namlos Blitzklinge
 player, 8 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2013
at 20:29
Re: Planetfall
"There's only five of us here, though. That's only enough fer two pairs. Either one group has to contain three people, or one of us will have to strike out on their own. Agatha and Gladyn are going together, which leaves me, and Mat 'n Theo." Namlos waved his right arm in Theo's and Mattias' general direction.

"I s'ppose it'd be one of you going at it solo. Theo, you can teleport around and get out of trouble easily enough, but, Mat, methinks yer probably better at sneaking around than either of us."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:34, Tue 01 Oct 2013.

Gamemaster
 GM, 17 posts
 Ufufufu~
Sun 21 Apr 2013
at 17:12
Re: Planetfall
A rough plan sketched out, and the relay set up, you set off. Two groups, two directions.

Telepathic contact is easy enough to begin with, but quickly the distance makes the calculations required for direct contact too bothersome, and when you have a shared anchor point anyway, you might as well use that.

Still, not all of you have endless reserves of power, and flight is hardly what one would call easy. By the first hour, all of you have fallen into a comfortable silence as you speed over the landscape.


Agatha, Gladyn
Gladyn initially restrains her pace somewhat, assessing the speed of her companion.

The worry soon proves meaningless. Agatha may not understand the magic of speed to the degree Gladyn does, but she does understand magic, and the myriad small adjustments, optimizations, and simple, raw power available to the young knight is enough to give even Gladyn pause.

When the pair finally settle on a pace, it is only a touch lower than what Gladyn might manage on her own, without burning endurance at an unsustainable rate.

The high pace makes for a lot of land covered, but it does also degrade the quality of observation. While they fly past a lot of trees, rivers, brooks, fields and other quirks of the landscape, they don't really see all that much. What they do see is mostly empty, unused land.

And then, quite suddenly, they stumble on a muddy dirt road, a cart with a wheel stuck, and a lone girl trying quite desperately to push it out of there.

No other people are in sight, the girl looks fairly human from a distance, and a quick reading suggests she is capable of magic, though unlikely to be at better than C-rank, definitely not higher than B-rank. There's also an odd amount of extra magical power inside the cart, though hardly more than a trace.

Finally, there's a large, quadruped, birdlike creature with brown and grey feathers, which appears to be pulling the cart.

The girl hasn't noticed either of the two.


Mattias, Theodore, Namlos
Compared to the two girls, the rest of the ground team sets a decidedly leisurely pace.

Of course, by the standards of anyone not a speed-freak or an S-class mage, the pace is brutally fast, and Namlos finds himself frustrated as his lower capacity and efficiency for long-distance flight ultimately proves the limiting factor. Theodore may not know much about speed, but with enough raw power, and some creative spacetime magic adjustments, he just about manages to keep up with Mattias, who moves with the purpose and comfort of someone used to flying nearly constantly for days without end.

Unfortunately, even Mattias isn't terribly used to survey work, and so they group is mostly just heading in one direction, hoping something will happen.

For a good long while, nothing really does, but after a while, they begin spotting animals. Mostly big, quadruped birds, seemingly gathering together in small herds, but shortly after that also what looks like a cloud of dust in the distance, and a faint sensation of energy emanating from same.

Nothing seems to have really noticed them yet.
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 8 posts
Sun 21 Apr 2013
at 23:02
Re: Planetfall
Mattias hums. "That look like someone is either on a cattle drive, or we've found a road, to you two?"
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 7 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 18:27
Re: Planetfall
'She is merely competent with flight magic, but she compensates with either raw power or understanding of magic. Interesting - Gladyn noted about her companion, before returning to observing the landscape below. So far, it was all natural - trees, rivers, trees, rocks...

...then, she spotted a muddy road.

Immediately, she cut her air speed, grinding to a sudden halt. Agatha did the same, at almost the exact same moment.

"A local." - she communicated to her companion, telepathically - "Do you want to talk with her?"
Namlos Blitzklinge
 player, 10 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 20:15
Re: Planetfall
Mattias Wim Dohman:
Mattias hums. "That look like someone is either on a cattle drive, or we've found a road, to you two?"


"I don't think nobody's on a cattle drive, and I don't reckon anyone would kick up so much dust on a road. Well, not on any road worth of t' name, at any rate. There's a magical signature. Bit paranoid, here, mebbe, but hear me out - I think we should creep up on whatever it is. Mebbe fly down on a steep angle t' avoid detection, and cover the last mile or so on foot?"

Absently, Namlos brushed a hand over Arondight.
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 20 posts
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 20:52
Re: Planetfall
"I can agree with you on that Nam, but sneaking up on it might be considered a hostile move." I shook my head for a moment, clearing my thoughts.

"Maybe we should contact the girls first?"

OOC: Usa, can I teleport to them if necessary?
Agatha Dietrich
 player, 4 posts
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 01:41
Re: Planetfall
Gladyn Briallen:
"A local." - she communicated to her companion, telepathically - "Do you want to talk with her?"

"Yes, I would." Agatha landed a short distance away from the girl, flight spell flashing away in a blur of rainbow colored light.

Taking a few steps around the cover she had landed behind, Agatha clutched Sacred Messiah to her chest. She hoped this was a good idea.... nevertheless, even if it wasn't, it was the duty of a knight to always introduce oneself first.

"Hello? My name is Agatha Dietrich of the Saint Kaiser church. Could you tell us a little about this world?" She called out in Mid-Childian. After a second's thought, she repeated it in Belkan, and what little she remembered of the Scripture the nuns had drilled into her head. Fragments of Ancient Belkan followed the modern Belkan.
Girl
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 07:30
Re: Planetfall
The girl seems to jump in place as Agatha speaks up, having apparently completely failed to notice anyone else there.

Suddenly, she's turned around and staring at you, clutching some mechanical contraption which she points nervously in Agatha's direction.

Then she notices Gladyn hovering in the air, and listens to Agatha's words with an increasingly bewildered expression. Still, confusion is evidently superior to surprise and fear, as she lowers her weapon.

"[Language unknown:  Tiohe ilen ilwhe ti of maen'eeti?]"

Oh dear. That doesn't sound like Belkan. At all.
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 9 posts
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 23:09
Re: Planetfall
In reply to Namlos Blitzklinge (msg # 13):

"Land and walk then? Mattias suggests. "Well, maybe once we get a bit closer. Nice and not coming in on a speedy bandit raid and all that."
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 23 posts
Thu 2 May 2013
at 18:16
Re: Planetfall
In reply to Mattias Wim Dohman (msg # 17):

"Let's do that then." I replied, before descending.

'Hyperion' I queried the device to open, letting me teleport a number seven shell in.

<"Agatha, Gladyn? Found anything interesting?"> I communicated to the girls, hoping that they would respond.

quote:
[19:06:47] usandru: Don't say something! Do a thing to the dust cloud.
[19:06:55] usandru: Teleport to it
[19:06:57] usandru: Fly to it
[19:07:00] usandru: Fly away
[19:07:07] usandru: Dance in place
[19:07:38] usandru: You can do a single sentence "I fire bombardment magic at the sky" and that's good enough for me right now
[19:08:15] usandru: Al and Happ lost the right to object when they didn't /do/ something for this long. =P


OOC: Well, there. I posted something. Now the rest of you bastards should :p.
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 8 posts
Thu 2 May 2013
at 18:30
Re: Planetfall


Gladyn looked to Agatha. "Shall we try telepathy?"

[If Agatha doesn't object and doesn't communicate, herself, Gladyn will try and communicate telepathically with the girl, saying "Hello, can you understand me? Please don't panic, it's just telepathy."]