The Great Market.   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 32 posts
Tue 15 Apr 2014
at 20:22
Re: The Great Market
Mattias speaks loudly, slowly, and clearly, as well as with repetition, the basic resort of anyone who doesn't understand what language people are speaking at him. With any luck, he'll actually manage to avoid a brawl. More likely, he'll have some fistcuffs, but hopefully no one will pull out a weapon or blasty magic.

He won't unless they do, at least.
Agatha Dietrich
 player, 19 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 03:36
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
The woman gazes curiously at you for a while. It makes you feel a bit awkward, like, is there anything you've missed? Anything you've forgotten to do? Oh my, are you looking too unkempt, perhaps?

Before you can really get going though, she nods.

<"This looks good, yeah. You're in! Go sit with the other contestants. Since we've gotten ten people we're starting in ten minutes, in case anyone else wants to throw in."> She says, and smiles while she gestures to a bunch of small chairs under a tent roof where you spot nine other people.

Three of them are girls too, while the other six are boys. Of the boys, five of them looks like those local nomads, while the sixth is a bit pale, very tall, blond and grinning.

The girls are a bit more eye-catching. There's one about your size leaning back and eating something off a stick. She's sitting by herself but as you look at her, she grins and waves cheerfully. One of the other girls glares at her as she does so, before sighing and leaning back. Both of them look to be nomads.

The third girl has her eyes closed. She looks a bit more like Hye, so you guess she's from those city states. She's the only one wearing metal armour.

There's plenty of space besides each of them. Do you sit with anyone in particular?

Agatha rubbed the forearm plating of her armor, nervously. Sure, it was just condensed mana, but it made her feel better. She glanced around the tent, through the one way greathelm. It was kind of a tricky little spell, the light photons came in through the mana con- Agatha shook her head. Now wasn't the time to thing about that.

She smoothed out her armor skirt, well, less smoothed than ran a hand over the segmented plates, and bit her bottom lip. Oh, man, she kind of wished he had Namlos with her. But only kind of. She just knew he'd some offend someone. Chances were, he was probably in a fight right now.

Agatha looked over the tent on last time, and clanked over to the girl in the armor. They were both wearing armor, well, for Agatha, less armor than highly protective barrier magic molded into the form of magic, but the difference was close enough. Maybe she was a knight, too?

<"Um, so, hi!"> Agatha tried some small talk. <"Are- are you from the Republic of Free City States?">
Claire Foulke
 player, 31 posts
Mon 26 May 2014
at 04:39
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
Claire

<"Anyway, we're past the busiest part. Anything you want to do, Claire?"> She asks, obviously still riding a high from the trading.

By comparison you're a bit tired from the entire thing, but you can keep going without any real issues.

What do you do?


Interesting. I wonder what she means by her original goal being plausible?

Ah, well. Maybe she's hoping to collect something interesting here to trade back at her home city? I'll ask about it later. In the meantime, I'm hungry... but then again, local food is probably a horrible, horrible idea.

Even if the barrier jackets provide a layer of protection from disease, it doesn't do us much good against things we ingest.

No reason not to let Hye get a bite to eat though. I don't think she's even eaten anything since we got started with sales.

Which reminds me of something else...

<"Let's go get something to eat."> I smirk a bit then, as I run my hand through my hair. <"So, you obviously know enough about mages to dress someone like one well enough that people aren't going to find anything off. How'd you pick that up?">
Gamemaster
 GM, 44 posts
 Ufufufu~
Tue 27 May 2014
at 18:59
Re: The Great Market
Theodore and Mattias
Theodore Sharpe:
'Can't believe I was like that not long ago.'

To Mattias: <"Let's not throw the first punch, our barrier jackets will take of those should they come.">

I smiled at the group, offering an apologetic expression, and holding out a hand to the guy on the floor(I'm assuming I got up quickly, or Mattias pulled me back up). If they didn't realize that accepting was in their best interest, well...

Mattias Wim Dohman:
Mattias speaks loudly, slowly, and clearly, as well as with repetition, the basic resort of anyone who doesn't understand what language people are speaking at him. With any luck, he'll actually manage to avoid a brawl. More likely, he'll have some fistcuffs, but hopefully no one will pull out a weapon or blasty magic.

He won't unless they do, at least.


The drunks are thrown a bit by your behaviour, and also by your clear incomprehension. They do not seem particularly cowed, or inclined to stop getting in your face though.

You're preparing a bit for things turning sour, when suddenly the bunch turns chicken and scurries away.

"[Language unknown:  Omel osons ourblesannte?]"

Behind you, you suddenly realize, is a rider. One of the nomads, atop her steed. It is the biggest and meanest bird you have yet to see. The rider herself matches her steed well.

Scars criss-cross her face. Her hair is just barely long enough to pull into a very short ponytail. Hanging from her saddle is a helmet of a strange design, with a faceplate with no opening for the eyes. Her armour too is unusual. The furs of the nomads are there, but underneath you can see smooth silvery plates.

More than that, this woman is powerful. The ghostly crackling of magical power is thick in the air around her. In terms of raw power, the woman is at least an A-ranker. Quite possibly more.
It seems you've found someone interesting.

She frowns as you gaze at one another, apparently concluding that you do not know the language.

<"Foreigners, welcome to our great market. My apologies for the disruption. I presume you are unharmed?">

Agatha
Agatha Dietrich:
Agatha rubbed the forearm plating of her armor, nervously. Sure, it was just condensed mana, but it made her feel better. She glanced around the tent, through the one way greathelm. It was kind of a tricky little spell, the light photons came in through the mana con- Agatha shook her head. Now wasn't the time to thing about that.

She smoothed out her armor skirt, well, less smoothed than ran a hand over the segmented plates, and bit her bottom lip. Oh, man, she kind of wished he had Namlos with her. But only kind of. She just knew he'd some offend someone. Chances were, he was probably in a fight right now.

Agatha looked over the tent on last time, and clanked over to the girl in the armor. They were both wearing armor, well, for Agatha, less armor than highly protective barrier magic molded into the form of magic, but the difference was close enough. Maybe she was a knight, too?

<"Um, so, hi!"> Agatha tried some small talk. <"Are- are you from the Republic of Free City States?">


<"Eh?"> The girl opens her eyes and looks at you.

<"The Free Cities? Well, I suppose. I was born there, at least. What's it to you, stranger?"> She replies with a smirk, though it is somehow not unfriendly.

<"Though, my goodness, you've got some impressive armour. It even feels enchanted. That must be worth a fortune. What are you, some kind of run away princess from the Empire?"> She muses and chuckles.

The girl leans back again, but doesn't close her eyes. She doesn't seem like she's about to saying anything more just now, but she's still smiling, so you could probably chat more.

There's still a little while until the competition starts anyway.

Claire
Claire Foulke:
Gamemaster:
Claire

<"Anyway, we're past the busiest part. Anything you want to do, Claire?"> She asks, obviously still riding a high from the trading.

By comparison you're a bit tired from the entire thing, but you can keep going without any real issues.

What do you do?


Interesting. I wonder what she means by her original goal being plausible?

Ah, well. Maybe she's hoping to collect something interesting here to trade back at her home city? I'll ask about it later. In the meantime, I'm hungry... but then again, local food is probably a horrible, horrible idea.

Even if the barrier jackets provide a layer of protection from disease, it doesn't do us much good against things we ingest.

No reason not to let Hye get a bite to eat though. I don't think she's even eaten anything since we got started with sales.

Which reminds me of something else...

<"Let's go get something to eat."> I smirk a bit then, as I run my hand through my hair. <"So, you obviously know enough about mages to dress someone like one well enough that people aren't going to find anything off. How'd you pick that up?">


<"Food sounds good."> Hye replies, and begins guiding you into the market while you continue your conversation.

<"As for mages... well, everybody knows the general things. The scariest thing on the battlefield is a slip of a girl in a giant dress, or so the saying goes. I haven't ever seen a real master mage... well, not counting you guys. However most mercenary mages know the stories too, so good mercenaries will play dress-up to match the story. If they're good enough and haul in money enough, they'll look better than their competitors. For a merchant, we judge which mercenary is better by comparing their looks if they seem about equal in terms of power. Just common sense for caravans.">

<"The tricks... well, my master did trade in the clothing business, and he showed me some tricks to making a girl look good with just a few things. If you do it right, you can convince most people that something fairly decent is pretty great, and get a much better price. I think he liked to apprentice girls because it made it easy for him to sell his wares, actually.">

Hye pauses and looks at you a little sheepishly.

<"In your case though, I actually mostly just added a few things to make you look a little less odd. Your clothes are really high quality - even if they're made of magic - and your magic is pretty potent, so I just needed you to look less strange. Oh, and your hair was pretty messy. Really smooth though! You should keep it longer.">

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:00, Tue 27 May 2014.

Agatha Dietrich
 player, 20 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 05:08
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
<"Eh?"> The girl opens her eyes and looks at you.

<"The Free Cities? Well, I suppose. I was born there, at least. What's it to you, stranger?"> She replies with a smirk, though it is somehow not unfriendly.

<"Though, my goodness, you've got some impressive armour. It even feels enchanted. That must be worth a fortune. What are you, some kind of run away princess from the Empire?"> She muses and chuckles.

The girl leans back again, but doesn't close her eyes. She doesn't seem like she's about to saying anything more just now, but she's still smiling, so you could probably chat more.

There's still a little while until the competition starts anyway.

Agatha smiles, even though the other girl cant see it. She kinda wishes she could remove the helmet, but the captain said to make sure no one could recognize her. <"No, I'm a Knight from the Sankt Church. This is standard attire for Der Orden Militanten."> Well, standard combat attire, anyway.

<"It's not actually steel, either. The armor's actually composed of highly condense mana, layered together by use of Ordo's Folding Principles."> Ordo's Folding Principle's of course being the basis of any magical study of barrier jackets. Agatha brought a finger up to her cheek and she tried to remember what the textbooks had been filled with so many years ago. <"Um, collecting such a large amount of mana usually takes around a hundred years or so, with outside assistance. Of course, this varies with density and mana use, because as the first of Flemerege's four laws of mana concentration states, mana concentrations tend to fluctuate with usage, which supports the trend of mage populations having better linker core development.">

Agatha prepares to launch into a lecture on distribution of mana and the socio-economic ramifications of magic building upon magic, before she catches herself. Right. Most people don't study that sort of thing. Instead she tries to switch subjects. <"Um, so, you're from the Free Cities, huh? I, uh, my party met a merchant who's also from the free cities. Her name's Hye, though you probably don't know her so I don't know what I'm talking about this. Uh....">

That didn't go so well either. Agatha searches for another topic. She doesn't want to resort to talking about the Sankt Church, she's not trying to spread the Faith at the moment, and as she knows from the Dummy's Guide to Spreading the Faith, you shouldn't get too preachy or other people will tend to dislike you. <"Um, so I'm looking forward to being to test my skills. Are you looking forward to competing against others and their skills, too?"> Agatha finishes her sentence hurriedly, only to realize since they might be competing against each other that might not be such a good thing to bring up.
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 28 posts
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 08:57
Re: The Great Market
Unknown Girl:
Gladyn Briallen:
Gladyn took a short step back and took a moment to straighten out her barrier jacket, displaying a certain measure of annoyance in the gesture.

Sighing and rubbing her temples, she muttered "I can't actually understand you" and created a telepathic link.

<"I suppose this might be rude, but so I so is running into someone. And I can't actually understand what you're saying, besides."> she said, then directed a friendly smile at the girl. <"Now, what seems to be the problem, miss...?">


A flurry of expressions pass across the girl's face, until she settles on a mild frown.

<"I apologize, then."> She says, before glancing around, as if looking for something.

Whatever it is, she doesn't seem to spot it, and neither do you. Something shifts in her posture.

<"As for my problem... well, given you didn't understand me in the first place..."> She blushes a little and seems to wave it off.

<"In any case, you wouldn't really... or perhaps you would..."> She trails off and looks you over again.

<"Are you by any chance a mercenary?"> She asks.

'Am I a mercenary?' Gladyn wondered. Now, that was an interesting question. The term implied certain things, like beating people up. And money, possibly loads of it, though she didn't exactly expect to get much, here.

Still, maybe she could buy some local medicine?

And beating people up sounded interesting. She'd never so much as punch anyone outside martial arts training!

Mistleteinn's gem shone just a bit brighter for a split second, as she answered <"Let's say I am. What would you like me to do?">

This message was last edited by the player at 18:58, Sun 22 June 2014.

Claire Foulke
 player, 32 posts
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 18:13
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
Claire


<"Food sounds good."> Hye replies, and begins guiding you into the market while you continue your conversation.

<"As for mages... well, everybody knows the general things. The scariest thing on the battlefield is a slip of a girl in a giant dress, or so the saying goes. I haven't ever seen a real master mage... well, not counting you guys. However most mercenary mages know the stories too, so good mercenaries will play dress-up to match the story. If they're good enough and haul in money enough, they'll look better than their competitors. For a merchant, we judge which mercenary is better by comparing their looks if they seem about equal in terms of power. Just common sense for caravans.">

<"The tricks... well, my master did trade in the clothing business, and he showed me some tricks to making a girl look good with just a few things. If you do it right, you can convince most people that something fairly decent is pretty great, and get a much better price. I think he liked to apprentice girls because it made it easy for him to sell his wares, actually.">

Hye pauses and looks at you a little sheepishly.

<"In your case though, I actually mostly just added a few things to make you look a little less odd. Your clothes are really high quality - even if they're made of magic - and your magic is pretty potent, so I just needed you to look less strange. Oh, and your hair was pretty messy. Really smooth though! You should keep it longer.">



Huh. I think that's the first time I've ever been complimented on my hair.

<"Heh, nice as that'd be, I just don't have the patience to really look after long hair. And the smoothness is probably just a matter of using some good shampoo."> Actually, do they even have anything like that here? If they do, it's probably a luxury product. <"You probably know this already, but the civilization I'm from is really industrialized. Since this means we can make a lot of things cheaply, even things like hair care products can be made on a massive scale.>" And listen to me, pointing out the obvious.

As we pad further along, another thought occurs to me.

<"The bit about mercenaries though... It kind of reminds me of something my father said awhile ago. 'Sometimes, the most dangerous weapon is reputation.' He even said that just hearing that someone famous had arrived on the battlefield was enough to completely turn the tide.>" Dad didn't talk much about his days as a mercenary when I was growing up. Sure, he'd come up with a few bedtime stories when I was a kid. And sometimes, those stories were a little more true than most.

Still made it really eerie to realize that the tales of heroism and gallantry from your childhood weren't based on some old fairy tale, but life during the war history books would later call 'Conflict B7R'. Such a clinical name for such a horrible time.
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 61 posts
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 20:32
Re: The Great Market
quote:
The drunks are thrown a bit by your behaviour, and also by your clear incomprehension. They do not seem particularly cowed, or inclined to stop getting in your face though.

You're preparing a bit for things turning sour, when suddenly the bunch turns chicken and scurries away.

""

Behind you, you suddenly realize, is a rider. One of the nomads, atop her steed. It is the biggest and meanest bird you have yet to see. The rider herself matches her steed well.

Scars criss-cross her face. Her hair is just barely long enough to pull into a very short ponytail. Hanging from her saddle is a helmet of a strange design, with a faceplate with no opening for the eyes. Her armour too is unusual. The furs of the nomads are there, but underneath you can see smooth silvery plates.

More than that, this woman is powerful. The ghostly crackling of magical power is thick in the air around her. In terms of raw power, the woman is at least an A-ranker. Quite possibly more.

It seems you've found someone interesting.

She frowns as you gaze at one another, apparently concluding that you do not know the language.

<"Foreigners, welcome to our great market. My apologies for the disruption. I presume you are unharmed?">


I glanced over at Mattias before nodding to the female rider. <"My thanks to you for coming when you did, and it's quite alright, I did bump into them through my own inattention."> Not that I'd apologise to them.

<"I've not been to the market before, my travels usually taking me closer to the republic"> Technically true, the ship was a bit closer in orbit to it <"but I and a few of my companions decided to come this way to see this place.">

<"Anything you'd recommend as a must see attraction?"> I asked politely. Might as well ask a local who's already talking to us.
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 33 posts
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 21:02
Re: The Great Market
Mattias nods as he is asked if he is unharmed. "All this has escalated to is words so far, not fists. Not that we were actually able to comprehend each other..."
Ukiuk
 NPC, 2 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 20:04
Re: The Great Market
Gladyn Briallen:
'Am I a mercenary?' Gladyn wondered. Now, that was an interesting question. The term implied certain things, like beating people up. And money, possibly loads of it, though she didn't exactly expect to get much, here.

Still, maybe she could buy some local medicine?

And beating people up sounded interesting. She'd never so much as punch anyone outside martial arts training!

Mistleteinn's gem shone just a bit brighter for a split second, as she answered <"Let's say I am. What would you like me to do?">


The girl frowns. You vaguely get the impression she might not like you very much...?

Or it might be something else.

<"I am currently dealing with certain... associates. They are being very persistent. It is annoying me. If you help me avoid them, and possibly, um... possibly rough them up a little if they find us, I'm willing to pay. I do not have much on me currently, but I can promise you five hundred staves if you do this.">

You have no idea what "five hundred staves" is in purchasing power. You're pretty sure she's using some sort of coinage slang though, and isn't promising you five hundred sticks of wood.

Well, not like it matters when you have an infinite money machine on the fucking moon, so...

Wat do?
Iseul
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 20:34
Re: The Great Market
Agatha Dietrich:
Agatha smiles, even though the other girl cant see it. She kinda wishes she could remove the helmet, but the captain said to make sure no one could recognize her. <"No, I'm a Knight from the Sankt Church. This is standard attire for Der Orden Militanten."> Well, standard combat attire, anyway.

<"It's not actually steel, either. The armor's actually composed of highly condense mana, layered together by use of Ordo's Folding Principles."> Ordo's Folding Principle's of course being the basis of any magical study of barrier jackets. Agatha brought a finger up to her cheek and she tried to remember what the textbooks had been filled with so many years ago. <"Um, collecting such a large amount of mana usually takes around a hundred years or so, with outside assistance. Of course, this varies with density and mana use, because as the first of Flemerege's four laws of mana concentration states, mana concentrations tend to fluctuate with usage, which supports the trend of mage populations having better linker core development.">

Agatha prepares to launch into a lecture on distribution of mana and the socio-economic ramifications of magic building upon magic, before she catches herself. Right. Most people don't study that sort of thing. Instead she tries to switch subjects. <"Um, so, you're from the Free Cities, huh? I, uh, my party met a merchant who's also from the free cities. Her name's Hye, though you probably don't know her so I don't know what I'm talking about this. Uh....">

That didn't go so well either. Agatha searches for another topic. She doesn't want to resort to talking about the Sankt Church, she's not trying to spread the Faith at the moment, and as she knows from the Dummy's Guide to Spreading the Faith, you shouldn't get too preachy or other people will tend to dislike you. <"Um, so I'm looking forward to being to test my skills. Are you looking forward to competing against others and their skills, too?"> Agatha finishes her sentence hurriedly, only to realize since they might be competing against each other that might not be such a good thing to bring up.


Your conversation partner stares a little. Well, maybe a lot. There's a really weird expression you're not entirely sure how to decipher.

<"Uhuh."> She finally goes.

<"Yeah, it'll be fun."> She continues. She sounds a little bit dazed, but... she doesn't sound unhappy?

<"Though I'm not sure which skills exactly are going to be important here. It's a street competition, not an arena after all."> She muses, while giving you another weird look. Practically enough to make you squirm.

<"Say, what did you throw in the pot? I threw two days of crystal in. Didn't have much else to do but make those while sitting in the caravan.">

Her tone is sort of different now. Though still... kind?

<"Oh yeah, I'm Iseul. Mercenary. Or caravan guard, really. Hailing from Jangsu.">

She smiles at you.

There's probably a little bit more until the competition begins. Maybe enough for one more exchange...
Nergui
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 20:48
Re: The Great Market
Theodore Sharpe:
I glanced over at Mattias before nodding to the female rider. <"My thanks to you for coming when you did, and it's quite alright, I did bump into them through my own inattention."> Not that I'd apologise to them.

<"I've not been to the market before, my travels usually taking me closer to the republic"> Technically true, the ship was a bit closer in orbit to it <"but I and a few of my companions decided to come this way to see this place.">

<"Anything you'd recommend as a must see attraction?"> I asked politely. Might as well ask a local who's already talking to us.

Mattias Wim Dohman:
Mattias nods as he is asked if he is unharmed. "All this has escalated to is words so far, not fists. Not that we were actually able to comprehend each other..."


She nods at your explanation, seemingly satisfied.

<"I am glad things did not escalate. Especially..."> She looks at you as she trails off. <"Well, it is no matter.">

She smiles, and the scars dance on her face.

<"I am Nergui, travellers, and as it happens my shift is at an end. It would please me to perhaps accompany you through our great market for a while, if you are willing to accept such.">

She is unreadable. Her motive, whatever it might be, is entirely opaque to you. She does seem sincere though.

Wat do?
Hye
 NPC, 25 posts
 Travelling Merchant
 Free City of Anjeong
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 21:36
Re: The Great Market
Claire Foulke:
Huh. I think that's the first time I've ever been complimented on my hair.

<"Heh, nice as that'd be, I just don't have the patience to really look after long hair. And the smoothness is probably just a matter of using some good shampoo."> Actually, do they even have anything like that here? If they do, it's probably a luxury product. <"You probably know this already, but the civilization I'm from is really industrialized. Since this means we can make a lot of things cheaply, even things like hair care products can be made on a massive scale.>" And listen to me, pointing out the obvious.

As we pad further along, another thought occurs to me.

<"The bit about mercenaries though... It kind of reminds me of something my father said awhile ago. 'Sometimes, the most dangerous weapon is reputation.' He even said that just hearing that someone famous had arrived on the battlefield was enough to completely turn the tide.>" Dad didn't talk much about his days as a mercenary when I was growing up. Sure, he'd come up with a few bedtime stories when I was a kid. And sometimes, those stories were a little more true than most.

Still made it really eerie to realize that the tales of heroism and gallantry from your childhood weren't based on some old fairy tale, but life during the war history books would later call 'Conflict B7R'. Such a clinical name for such a horrible time.


You continue your small talk a little, you speaking of science and industry - safe topics, comfortable topics, and Hye is a good listener - while Hye speaks of her travels, of spices and scents, of clothes and textures and the many winds she has felt brush against her face. As you walk, Hye eats something bought from a stall, and declares she will find a way to let you experience the culinary joys of her home.

It is... nice. You can barely imagine a person more different from you, yet your chat flows so effortlessly.

You drift back towards the guild as you walk. Amusing yourselves until Hye simply... stops.

She's looking at a man coming towards you. Directly towards you. You recognize him vaguely. He was in the guild tent, and seemed important.

He nods pleasantly at you. Hye is smiling, but it is a business smile.

<"Greetings, ladies."> He begins as he comes close, throwing you a smile.

<"Greetings, Master Seok."> Hye replies, bowing. Before you can make up your mind on mimicking Hye or not, Seok waves it off and gestures for Hye to stop.

<"Courtesy is a virtue indeed, however I do not require it overmuch at this moment."> He says, flashing you another smile before continuing.

<"Truly, I merely spotted the pair of you and wished to convey an invitation. You are cordially invited to the celebration with the guilds this evening. Both of you.">

Hye has gone completely still.

"[Language unknown:  Siennini llter taest outhni a ill.]" He finishes.

Then he bows slightly, tells you to show up at the guild tent around early evening, and wanders off.

Hye looks like she's on the verge of hyperventilating.

Wat do?
Mattias Wim Dohman
 player, 34 posts
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 12:37
Re: The Great Market
In reply to Nergui (msg # 53):

Mattias shrugs. <"Who am I to turn down a willing native guide? I'd be more then content to accept your offer.">
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 29 posts
Mon 7 Jul 2014
at 22:26
Re: The Great Market
Ukiuk:
Gladyn Briallen:
'Am I a mercenary?' Gladyn wondered. Now, that was an interesting question. The term implied certain things, like beating people up. And money, possibly loads of it, though she didn't exactly expect to get much, here.

Still, maybe she could buy some local medicine?

And beating people up sounded interesting. She'd never so much as punch anyone outside martial arts training!

Mistleteinn's gem shone just a bit brighter for a split second, as she answered <"Let's say I am. What would you like me to do?">


The girl frowns. You vaguely get the impression she might not like you very much...?

Or it might be something else.

<"I am currently dealing with certain... associates. They are being very persistent. It is annoying me. If you help me avoid them, and possibly, um... possibly rough them up a little if they find us, I'm willing to pay. I do not have much on me currently, but I can promise you five hundred staves if you do this.">

You have no idea what "five hundred staves" is in purchasing power. You're pretty sure she's using some sort of coinage slang though, and isn't promising you five hundred sticks of wood.

Well, not like it matters when you have an infinite money machine on the fucking moon, so...

Wat do?

Caring more for the experience than the possibly unimpressive reward offered, Gladyn nodded.

<"Sounds reasonable. I may need to skip straight to punching them, because oh my, evasion is not my field of expertise, but I am confident they can be deal with.">

'I could fly her out of here, but...' she looked around the crowd surrounding them '...that. Too bad. Would have impressed her.'

<"But until then, let's try evading.">

Actions
Try to blend into the crowd. Maybe watching all those spy movies was good for something?

If above fails and we run into Ukiuk's associates, switch Barrier Jacket to normal appearance (without helmet), deploy Mistelteinn and strike a cool pose, standing between them and Ukiuk.

...oh, yeah. Tell the Captain I found a job. Time allowing.
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 62 posts
Sun 20 Jul 2014
at 18:41
Re: The Great Market
Nergui:
She nods at your explanation, seemingly satisfied.

<"I am glad things did not escalate. Especially..."> She looks at you as she trails off. <"Well, it is no matter.">

She smiles, and the scars dance on her face.

<"I am Nergui, travellers, and as it happens my shift is at an end. It would please me to perhaps accompany you through our great market for a while, if you are willing to accept such.">

She is unreadable. Her motive, whatever it might be, is entirely opaque to you. She does seem sincere though.

Wat do?

<"You can say it"> I visibly sigh <"We appear to be an unusual sight here.">

<"I...do not mean to take up your time, though I admit I have no problem with a guide, and neither does my companion."> I smiled politely. Obviously, she wanted to keep tabs on us, but there wasn't any harm in it that I could see.

<"At any rate, I am Theodore Sharpe, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.">

This message was last edited by the player at 15:18, Tue 22 July 2014.

Claire Foulke
 player, 33 posts
Mon 21 Jul 2014
at 10:53
Re: The Great Market
In reply to Hye (msg # 54):

<"Oh geeze! Breath Hye! BREATH!">

She looks like a bolt of lightning struck the ground an inch from her face! Who was that guy?!

<"Are you alright? You're scaring me a little, Hye! Try to calm yourself down! Is there anything I can do?">

I'd really like some answers, but making sure my friend doesn't die to a heart attack is more important. If this goes on much longer, I'm going to call that medic back.
Agatha Dietrich
 player, 21 posts
Tue 22 Jul 2014
at 21:59
Re: The Great Market
Iseul:
Your conversation partner stares a little. Well, maybe a lot. There's a really weird expression you're not entirely sure how to decipher.

<"Uhuh."> She finally goes.

<"Yeah, it'll be fun."> She continues. She sounds a little bit dazed, but... she doesn't sound unhappy?

<"Though I'm not sure which skills exactly are going to be important here. It's a street competition, not an arena after all."> She muses, while giving you another weird look. Practically enough to make you squirm.

<"Say, what did you throw in the pot? I threw two days of crystal in. Didn't have much else to do but make those while sitting in the caravan.">

Her tone is sort of different now. Though still... kind?

<"Oh yeah, I'm Iseul. Mercenary. Or caravan guard, really. Hailing from Jangsu.">

She smiles at you.

There's probably a little bit more until the competition begins. Maybe enough for one more exchange...

Agatha nodded. She didn't quite know where Jangsu was, but Iseul seemed nice anyways, so she didn't really care that much. <"I wagered a spare set of clothing that I had. It's Belkan noblewear, with steel threadings for strength, and an opal sown into the neckline to represent one's alignment with the Holy Sankt Church."> She reflexively rubbed her armored fingers. The sewing practice often tended to be extremely painful for them, and that embroidery on that particular wear was terribly difficult.

<"Since Captain Sharpe and his crew, of which I am a part of, are travelers from far distant land, we possess no local coinage."> She continued. <"We met a local merchant from Republic of Free Cities, which is why I asked if you were from there, and she's helping us out a bit on that front. Though it seems most of the market seems to accept barter as a form of trade, so it isn't too much of disadvantage.">

Though actually Hye was away with Claire at the moment, and none of them except Hye were really that familiar with the local customs, and she'd supposed Namlos had gotten into trouble again, the rogue. <"Actually, if it isn't too much trouble could you give me some way to contact you later? Or maybe we could meet up after the competition? I... I don't really know my way around here yet, and our guide is away with another member of the crew and it'd be really great if I could get someone ocal around here to make sure I don't like accidentally offend someone but if you're busy and all I wouldn't want to want to be a burden or anything...?"> Agatha finished her question with a hopeful lilt to her voice.
Namlos Blitzklinge
 player, 44 posts
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 09:49
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
Namlos Blitzklinge:
"'shup, mate, why're ye so sr'sh?" Namlos hiccuped. Mostly for show, of course - anything that makes the opponent (and that was what the man was) underestimate you cannot be a bad thing! For now, Namlos deactivated Arondight and placed it back on his wrist. Arondight was too precious a thing to soil with a fight like this. Besides, in these crowded quarters, Arondight's length might actually hinder him.

"Naw, sr'sly. 'Ere I was, showin' sum moves, and then ye get roight pissy for no reason. If you wanna foight, 'tis a foight yer gonna get!" While the man probably couldn't understand what he was saying, the tone should be coming through clearly enough. To make it clearer, Namlos stepped closer to the grumpy fellow, leveraging his own height to look as intimidating as possible.

"Come at me, brother."

Hopefully, the bugger would be more of a challenge than those riders.


The man clearly doesn't understand the words, but the meaning gets across well enough. He closes the distance, looking rather imposing as he attempts to tower over everything.

You don't give a fuck. At all. Zero fucks. The insufferable little smirk seals it.

The punch is like lightning. The guy apparently wants to cave your face in. You have only a split second to act.

Plenty of time.

You lean around the strike, dancing into a counterattack so smoothly your opponent blinks once in disbelief before throwing himself into a desperate, magically fuelled dodge as you attempt to headbutt him.

The silence is total. Seems the audience is liking your show.

The man doesn't look angry any more as he stands a good three meters back. Well, a little angry. But mostly he looks calculating. No more underestimating you, it seems. Of course, you haven't used any magic yet - ignoring the barrier jacket which honestly is kind of cheating - while he's clearly pumping something.

You barely make out a recitation of something. Spell mnemonic you guess. You don't recognize the pattern, unsurprisingly.

You do however recognize someone lifting a table into the air and punching you with it.

Fast.

You trigger a minor reflexive speed boost, just enough to dodge. Behind you, the table careens through the bar, smashing stuff. Well, none of it is yours so what the hell. You thrust a knife hand towards him.

His parry is brutal. Even through the barrier jacket, you feel as if your bones are creaking. The guy is pretty good. You deduce he's using a very powerful reinforcement technique to make his arms stronger and harder than steel. Probably better than your barrier jacket even. And the table trick for short to mid range combat. Pretty solid.

He throws a flurry at you, which you alternate between dodging and parrying, before you jump in. You still owe him that headbutt.

Also the shock in his eyes as your skull smashes into his is great.

Ouch. You are once again thankful for barrier jackets. Your foe has tears trickling down his cheeks from the pain. Clearly he doesn't reinforce his head like his arms.

The kick is a bit desperate and easily dodged. You return one of your own and catch him in the side. That he leans into it and grabs onto your leg is a bit of a surprise. As is him pulling you along into a swing.

It'd be pretty trivial to break, but you still think you can win normally. Even with smashing into a couple of tables as he swings. You fly in a beautiful arc as he releases you.

Your impact with the good proprietor's stuff - most importantly his booze - rather sours the fight though. You were going to drink that! Probably.

Your opponent lumbers over while you stand up, wringing booze out of your barrier jacket and licking your fingers. No reason to waste it after all.

Then he steps within range, and you strike. Reading his guard perfectly, you penetrate through his defences, and smash your fist into his stomach. Then you sweep his legs out from under him while he's preoccupied with the pain. As he falls to the floor, you smash a fist into his side to speed him up, and to finish things, you stomp him in the stomach.

Ew. Vomit. He'll live though, and none of it got on your shoes. Even if barrier jackets need no cleaning, you didn't really want vomit on your shoes.

Victory! You turn to look at your adoring fans.

...

...huh, those guys are fast. Standing in the ruins of the bar you spot some five of the nomads. Those police Hye told you about probably. Man, they look kind of pissed. Whoops?

Oh, and the bar is pretty wrecked.


Turns out? Following your instincts, not always a good idea in a foreign, unfamiliar situation. But then, Namlos had never claimed to be smart.

Umm...

Still, good fight. Not often he found someone like that, and such things were always worth treasuring. He'd even had to use a little bit of magic, there! And the booze was pretty good - he wouldn't have reckoned a backwater such as this would have anything like that, but it was a pleasant surprise. The kinda breezy, numb sensation in his skull was pretty nice, too. The strong desire to hiccup, not so much, but he could suppress that.

Oh, uh, right. Police-guys. Should probably do something about that.

Thanks, brain. But how to get out of this one intact? And his friend on the floor, there, it wouldn't be very nice to get him in trouble he didn't really deserve. So...

<"Oh, um.">

He quickly staggered backwards, with an exaggerated drunken gait, and fell on his ass next to his new buddy. Adopting a sheepish look on his face, he turned the man around, onto his stomach, slipped his arms around him, and bore him up, supporting his buddy on his shoulder.

<"This isn't what it looks like?">

Ah, genius. Now, to see and react to their reactions. He'd find a safe way out of this for the two of them yet!

This message was last edited by the player at 20:26, Thu 06 Nov 2014.

Gamemaster
 GM, 45 posts
 Ufufufu~
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 13:03
Re: The Great Market
Mattias and Theodore
Mattias Wim Dohman:
Mattias shrugs. <"Who am I to turn down a willing native guide? I'd be more then content to accept your offer.">
Theodore Sharpe:
<"You can say it"> I visibly sigh <"We appear to be an unusual sight here.">

<"I...do not mean to take up your time, though I admit I have no problem with a guide, and neither does my companion."> I smiled politely. Obviously, she wanted to keep tabs on us, but there wasn't any harm in it that I could see.

<"At any rate, I am Theodore Sharpe, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.">


Formalities dealt with, Nergui calls out to another rider and dismounts from her great bird, leaving him to take it away somewhere.

You then begin walking as Nergui talks about the market and explains about various things in the stalls.

Mostly food, it seems like, making it quite hard to avoid salivating, especially considering that you've been living off the not quite that amazing travel supplies in your cargo hold.

She talks a lot about how the market is divided up into sections, typically divided by place of origin, name-dropping a ton of regions you don't know anything about, which appear to be primarily domains within the Federation, the Empire and the Republics. There's some references to guild politics and how setting up stalls and the like takes up half the rest of the year as people negotiate. And she talks a little about the small town of permanent guild lodgings clustered around the core area used by the nomads.

You also get some time to ask questions or inquire further about one topic or another.

Curiously, she has asked remarkably few questions about you.

To Do:
Ask questions
Specify if you want to do something interesting


Gladyn
Gladyn Briallen:
Caring more for the experience than the possibly unimpressive reward offered, Gladyn nodded.

<"Sounds reasonable. I may need to skip straight to punching them, because oh my, evasion is not my field of expertise, but I am confident they can be deal with.">

'I could fly her out of here, but...' she looked around the crowd surrounding them '...that. Too bad. Would have impressed her.'

<"But until then, let's try evading.">

Actions
Try to blend into the crowd. Maybe watching all those spy movies was good for something?

If above fails and we run into Ukiuk's associates, switch Barrier Jacket to normal appearance (without helmet), deploy Mistelteinn and strike a cool pose, standing between them and Ukiuk.

...oh, yeah. Tell the Captain I found a job. Time allowing.


You have no idea where the "enemy" might be, or what they look like, or really anything like that at all, but you do know that they know what she looks like, and not what you look like, so with a random bit of inspiration, you ask her to purchase a nice shawl at a street booth, which she somewhat reluctantly does - apparently the fashion of it isn't her thing - and you help her put it on. It should make it harder for anyone to trace her by her looking across the crowd. You hope.

You then begin sneaking somewhere, trying to find a place you can be secure.

It doesn't work out too badly, really, except it seems they were tailing you from the beginning, and when you almost lost them, they apparently surged to confront you.

At least you got to a relatively deserted spot first. Less witnesses is a good thing, right?

Ukiuk looks pretty annoyed as you are surrounded by some seven people, and then outright angry as the eight appears. A woman. They look about to engage in some sort of conversation of shouted words, but you can't understand it anyway so what do you care.

You switch Barrier Jacket mode. A neat little FX triggers from the energy overspill and you strike a cool pose while Mistelteinn materializes in your hand.

It actually even seems to work! They're looking pretty unnerved!

Giving them a friendly smile, you assess the situation. There are eight potential enemy combatants in view. There might be more hiding. They're really just wielding clubs and wearing cheap masks, aside from the other woman. That woman is actually powerful.

She might even rate A!

So not actually all that powerful, but still. She's in the game.

Of course, the other seven probably know a trick or two, and you do have a client to protect.

Speaking of your client, man does she look kind of pissed. What's with that?

Wat do?


Namlos
Namlos Blitzklinge:
Turns out? Following your instincts, not always a good idea in a foreign, unfamiliar situation. But then, Namlos had never claimed to be smart.

Umm...

Still, good fight. Not often he found someone like that, and such things were always worth treasuring. He'd even had to use a little bit of magic, there! And the booze was pretty good - he wouldn't have reckoned a backwater such as this would have anything like that, but it was a pleasant surprise. The kinda breezy, numb sensation in his skull was pretty nice, too. The strong desire to hiccup, not so much, but he could suppress that.

Oh, uh, right. Police-guys. Should probably do something about that.

Thanks, brain. But how to get out of this one intact? And his friend on the floor, there, it wouldn't be very nice to get him in trouble he didn't really deserve. So...

<"Oh, um.">

He quickly staggered backwards, with an exaggerated drunken gait, and fell on his ass next to his new buddy. Adopting a sheepish look on his face, he turned the man around, onto his stomach, slipped his arms around him, and bore him up, supporting his buddy on his shoulder.

<"This isn't what it looks like?">

Ah, genius. Now, to see and react to their reactions. He'd find a safe way out of this for the two of them yet!


They look extremely unimpressed.

Barkeep hobbles over to them and starts wailing. The other patrons appear to be sneakily sneaking away, leaving you holding the bag. Your new friend is slowly gathering himself - wiping away a bit of vomit on his chin and groaning.

<"Stand down and we'll sort this out."> The seeming leader of this group statesm with what you feel is a vague hint of contempt. Or is it disgust? It can be so hard to judge!

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 13:04, Fri 07 Nov 2014.

Hye
 NPC, 26 posts
 Travelling Merchant
 Free City of Anjeong
Sat 8 Nov 2014
at 16:10
Re: The Great Market
Claire Foulke:
<"Oh geeze! Breath Hye! BREATH!">

She looks like a bolt of lightning struck the ground an inch from her face! Who was that guy?!

<"Are you alright? You're scaring me a little, Hye! Try to calm yourself down! Is there anything I can do?">

I'd really like some answers, but making sure my friend doesn't die to a heart attack is more important. If this goes on much longer, I'm going to call that medic back.


There's a tense moment, and then, grabbing at you for stability, Hye seems to calm down. Well, at least enough to collect herself.

<"That was Master Seok. One of the main guild representatives of my trading guild. He just..."> She trails off as she tries to somehow figure out a good analogy.

<"Okay, imagine that your trade has a bunch of really influential people. People that feel like they're totally unreachable, monstrously capable in comparison to you. Imagine that every year, all these people meet at the biggest event in your trade, one that can complete change how things work. Like a meeting that even kings want to have people sit in on."> She finally explains.

<"Now imagine that you've just barely gone from apprentice to journeyman, and then you get invited to the event."> She finishes, looking somewhat pale.

<"Because that's more or less exactly what happened.">

Hye is pretty obviously shaken up about this. She's leaning against you for support and seems to be mumbling something to herself.

By your reckoning, it won't be many hours until the evening, so this is probably the time to ask questions or suggest a plan of action.

Oh, and of course, you were invited too.

Wat do?
Iseul
 NPC, 2 posts
 Caravan Guard
 Free City of Jangsu
Sat 8 Nov 2014
at 17:18
Re: The Great Market
Agatha Dietrich:
Agatha nodded. She didn't quite know where Jangsu was, but Iseul seemed nice anyways, so she didn't really care that much. <"I wagered a spare set of clothing that I had. It's Belkan noblewear, with steel threadings for strength, and an opal sown into the neckline to represent one's alignment with the Holy Sankt Church."> She reflexively rubbed her armored fingers. The sewing practice often tended to be extremely painful for them, and that embroidery on that particular wear was terribly difficult.

<"Since Captain Sharpe and his crew, of which I am a part of, are travelers from far distant land, we possess no local coinage."> She continued. <"We met a local merchant from Republic of Free Cities, which is why I asked if you were from there, and she's helping us out a bit on that front. Though it seems most of the market seems to accept barter as a form of trade, so it isn't too much of disadvantage.">

Though actually Hye was away with Claire at the moment, and none of them except Hye were really that familiar with the local customs, and she'd supposed Namlos had gotten into trouble again, the rogue. <"Actually, if it isn't too much trouble could you give me some way to contact you later? Or maybe we could meet up after the competition? I... I don't really know my way around here yet, and our guide is away with another member of the crew and it'd be really great if I could get someone ocal around here to make sure I don't like accidentally offend someone but if you're busy and all I wouldn't want to want to be a burden or anything...?"> Agatha finished her question with a hopeful lilt to her voice.


<"Clothes, huh."> Iseul nods, and grins.

<"I hope they'll look good on me~"> She teases.

<"And yeah, barter works pretty alright here. Most places outside the steppes prefer coin, but at the great market, barter rules the day.">

<"But sure I'll show you around. Won't be as fun without any money or goods to trade for, but I guess for someone all new even just the sights will be interesting. I'll show a cute girl around for a while, no problem~"> She says and smiles at you while clapping your shoulder.

Then the woman arranging the contest comes over and says that it's time.

There will be five challenges.

A dart throwing challenge, where each contestant gets three darts and must hit for as high a score as possible. The highest score gets a point.

An endurance challenge where each contestant must stand on their hands with no support for five minutes and make at least five push-ups while doing this, or not get the point.

A short wrestling tournament, each match being two minutes, with each person having five matches. Lose by being kept in a hold for ten seconds, or by being pushed out of the ring. The person with the most wins will get the point.

A pole fighting competition, where each contestant must climb up a three meter pole and then try to push their opponent off, the first one to fall loses, and if both stay there for five minutes, both lose.

The fifth match is secret, and will only be held in case there isn't a clear lead.

How will you approach these?
Namlos Blitzklinge
 player, 46 posts
Sat 8 Nov 2014
at 19:00
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
They look extremely unimpressed.

Barkeep hobbles over to them and starts wailing. The other patrons appear to be sneakily sneaking away, leaving you holding the bag. Your new friend is slowly gathering himself - wiping away a bit of vomit on his chin and groaning.

<"Stand down and we'll sort this out."> The seeming leader of this group statesm with what you feel is a vague hint of contempt. Or is it disgust? It can be so hard to judge!



Ah. Damn.

Yanno, I really don't want to know what'd happen if they took me with them. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, so the best option is to take them all down before they can really react and then try to blend into the crows... Also, if these guys are the same as the ones on the plains, they're kind of wimps.

That settles it. Namlos abruptly lets go of his buddy and calls forth Arondight.

"Plasmaformen! Aufblitzengang!"

He charges, with the aim of instantaneously disabling his foes.
Gladyn Briallen
 player, 30 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 21:28
Re: The Great Market
Gamemaster:
Wat do?

Her client look angry, Gladyn realized. Was it at her or the woman? There would be time to consider that later, right now she had other problems on her head.

Eight or more of them, in fact.

"Right. My client here hired me to help avoid certain individuals - by which I assume she meant you - or beat them up. The former appears to have failed, and I am unfortunately forced to proceed to the latter."

She smiled, not some kind of a crazy, predatory or cold smile like in the movies, but a friendly, cheerful expression.

"However, I'd like to avoid unnecessary violence, so I will give you an opportunity to back off and allow us to leave."

Plan
Talk them out of attacking.
->It probably won't work.
-->If negotiations break down, escalate.
--->Cast Charge, target the apparent leader, pummel her until she drops out of the fight.
--->Flash Step back to Ukiuk.
--->Ask if they still want to fight, or will they kindly bugger off.
--->If they don't, stay on the defensive and protect Ukiuk. Respond to attacks with overwhelming force.
Theodore Sharpe
 player, 63 posts
Sat 25 Apr 2015
at 20:45
Re: The Great Market
quote:
Formalities dealt with, Nergui calls out to another rider and dismounts from her great bird, leaving him to take it away somewhere.

 You then begin walking as Nergui talks about the market and explains about various things in the stalls.

 Mostly food, it seems like, making it quite hard to avoid salivating, especially considering that you've been living off the not quite that amazing travel supplies in your cargo hold.

 She talks a lot about how the market is divided up into sections, typically divided by place of origin, name-dropping a ton of regions you don't know anything about, which appear to be primarily domains within the Federation, the Empire and the Republics. There's some references to guild politics and how setting up stalls and the like takes up half the rest of the year as people negotiate. And she talks a little about the small town of permanent guild lodgings clustered around the core area used by the nomads.

 You also get some time to ask questions or inquire further about one topic or another.

 Curiously, she has asked remarkably few questions about you.

To Do:
 Ask questions
 Specify if you want to do something interesting


<"I feel that since we have a local guide, do you perhaps know any merchants who deal in historical books, or any form of historical trinkets?"> I began, as I took in the sights.

<"Beyond that, I'm curious if there is anything a native like yourself might recommend?"> I smiled towards our guide.

OOC: It's tiny, but I have written something!