Adventure Intro! - Dairy Farm.   Posted by Grimmshade.Group: archive 0
Grimmshade
 GM, 2 posts
 DM
Wed 29 May 2013
at 03:25
Adventure Intro!
You are travelling to the village of Orlane with a group of adventurers.
You have each joined this band of new adventurers for your own reasons.
Among those reasons were the following rumors...

1 The well water throughout the village of Orlane has been poisoned with a powerful drug.
2 Sinister and mysterious evil is at work in the village.
3 A huge, many-headed creature has been stealing children at night.
4 A sorcerer from the Valley of the Mage has moved to the Dim Forest, and is working foul enchantments there.
5 Savage crocodiles are straying far from the marsh.
6 People in Orlane are being altered, and the "changeling" can be recognized by fang marks in their throats!

These rumors may or may not be true. What is for sure is that something is happening in Orlane.
You have purchased supplies in Hochoch, and ventured out with the band headed for Orlane.

From Hochoch, the Realstream is quickly crossed at a shallow ford, and you follow a caravan track that winds along the south side of a narrow creek. The plains here are flat and grassy. Occasionally, large cottonwood trees grow along the stream, but in general the plain is unforested.
For several days, you pass through an uninhabited region with no untoward experiences. Finally, staying always to the right of the creek, the track enters a region of prosperous farms surrounded by fields of grain or pastures for cows and goats.
Early on the fourth afternoon of the trip, a cluster of buildings and trees becomes visible ahead, with the stone walls of a temple beyond—ORLANE. At the outskirts of Orlane, a large grove of elms is visible to the left, while several wooden buildings border the road to the right.


The party stands at the West side of the village. The road on the map marked "To Hochoch."
(Click below for MAP!)
Link back to this game

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:25, Wed 29 May 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 26 posts
 The People's DM
Wed 19 Jun 2013
at 10:43
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: As you enter the Game Map ( Link back to this game ) from the West (road) you notice the following locations.


1) Pleasant Farmhouse & Barn - This wooden house is surrounded by attractive flower gardens, with a small barn beyond. A teenage girl is churning butter on the porch, but she sees your group and runs into the house at your approach. Shadowy forms are visible behind closed curtains.

2) Constables Quarters - This nondescript square wooden building has heavy shutters closed over the windows. The door looks stout, but stands open. No people are visible. Behind this building is another long, low structure.

4) Dairy Farm - This house and barn are clean, whitewashed wooden buildings. Several cows chew their cud just outside the barn. Three little girls playing in the yard of the house stop to gawk at your group.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:51, Wed 19 June 2013.

Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 19 posts
 PHP:18 - MHP:16 - Hero:1
Wed 19 Jun 2013
at 16:35
Re: Adventure Intro!
"I daresay I'm not that frightful am I? At least I've just one head aye? Heh. Looks like just Orlane's finest are up to welcome travellers today."

Doc Hickoryhock elbows his companions legs and chuckles to himself. Smacking his lips he pats his belly and squints about the pastoral town for the telltale sign of a fine establishment hawking victuals. Some fresh cheese would do in a pinch.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:36, Wed 19 June 2013.

Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 7 posts
Wed 19 Jun 2013
at 16:40
Re: Adventure Intro!
In reply to Cunningham Hickoryhock (msg # 3):

They are frightened, and rightly so…a group such as ourselves could be savoirs or just as easily oppressors, or just plain trouble.

Speaking of trouble, if I remember what a constable is correctly, he or she should know about anything going on that we can get involved in for fun...or profit. I suggest we begin our time in town with a visit..agreed?
 

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:29, Wed 19 June 2013.

Galileo Figaro
 player, 2 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 00:31
Re: Adventure Intro!
In reply to Quoril Silversgleaming (msg # 4):

"Looks a bit uninviting to me, mate, but THAT on the other hand..."

*heading toward farm. Casually elbow a tree, three apples fall into my hand*

"'Ello, there!"


*Juggles apples comically, then tosses each one at a girl.*

"Seen any three-headed monsters lately?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:58, Tue 25 June 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 29 posts
 The People's DM
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 01:12
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: Galileo, roll 3d6 and add +7 (+6 for CHA, +1 for Play Music & Perform)
Galileo Figaro
 player, 3 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 01:20
Re: Adventure Intro!
In reply to Grimmshade (msg # 6):

5 + 4 + 3 (+ 7) = 19
Grimmshade
 GM, 30 posts
 The People's DM
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 01:54
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: Galileo, You succeed and also get a minor effect on yourself! Something like "Funny Man in Town" (+2)
This is an effect that adds +2 to all social rolls with townspeople, as the children spread rumors of your arrival and clever antics.


The girls giggle and bite into their apples.
"Fhree heded monstwers? haha, no silly. You're funny!"

A young teen girl runs out of the house and stares at Galileo a second before turning to the three little ones.
"Come Girls, time for eats."
She drags them in despite their protests, "No, we wanna pway wif the funny man!"

A man exits the nearby Dairy Barn, wiping his hands with a scrap of cloth.
He nods at Galileo. He has a kindly face beneath his straw brimmed hat.
"Well, if the younguns like ya, ya cain't be all bad."
He pats Galileo on the back, "Care to come in for a chat and some tea and cheese, stranger?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:55, Thu 20 June 2013.

Galileo Figaro
 player, 4 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 12:49
Re: Adventure Intro!
In reply to Grimmshade (msg # 8):

"Well we have been on the road a bit, could do for a rest. And my instrument needs some exercise if ya' don't mind a little music with your tea!

Oh, these guys are alright, too."


*Gestures off-handedly at my companions*

"And what's this behind your ear, pigeon?"

*Reaches down, pretending to pull a silver coin from one of the girl's ear, while discreetly checking for fang marks.*

This message was last edited by the player at 19:59, Tue 25 June 2013.

Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 21 posts
 PHP:18 - MHP:16 - Hero:1
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 14:06
Re: Adventure Intro!
Doc murmurs to the elf, "The constable can eat my hat sir. He'll like as not inform us of some newest regulation on the perfectly healthful use of the lovely local bloodwort fungus."

At the man's invitation, Doc scurries up and stands as tall as he can next to Figaro, extending a hand. "Tea and fresh cheese, oh my! I mean yes, ahem sir, I'm your man. Point me at any pots what need banging back to round, kettles what need mending, or spare strange minerals you'd rather have off your hands... after your best provender of course, naturally."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:32, Thu 20 June 2013.

Aymery Guironne
 player, 9 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 21:35
Re: Adventure Intro!
Aymery hangs back, watching the bard's antics. If Quoril decides to go speak to the Constable, I'll tag along. After all, there might be bounties posted, or other offers of mercenary work...
Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 3 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 21:51
Re: Adventure Intro!
Laas politely follows in suit, stopping to shake the farmer's hand. "Laas Yah-Nir. Thank you for your hospitality." He files inside with the others, taking in every detail of this man-made abode. So peculiar, to live in a box such as this... The crow perched on his shoulder caws as it sees all manner of shiny things he could get into.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:54, Thu 20 June 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 31 posts
 The People's DM
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 00:31
Re: Adventure Intro!
The children appear to have no strange marks about their necks.

Inside the farmhouse the kindly dairy farmer, Nowell Graven, makes introductions of his 5 daughters, his wife, and his very short and wrinkled kindly mother-in-law.
The heroes are served cheese and tea.
The elderly mother-in-law happily pulls out all manner of pots and kettles that need tinkering from Hickoryhock.

Nowell Graven expresses concern over recent matters in Orlane, but seems to have no explanations.
Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 4 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 03:37
Re: Adventure Intro!
Umbra the crow playfully hops about on the table where Dock is tinkering, "helping" as he picks up each tool in his beak, seemingly weighing its worth. "Umbra, shiny?" He caws at Dock, tilting his head.
Meanwhile Laas turns to the farmer as he politely sips his tea, "Could you elaborate on the events that are concerning you, friend? We have naught more than rumours and hearsay to go on at this moment. any specific information you might have would be most helpful."
Grimmshade
 GM, 32 posts
 The People's DM
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 04:54
Re: Adventure Intro!
"People's gone weird they are, and townsfolks disappearin' too." Pipes up the teenage daughter.

Nowell waves his hand towards her, "Now Missy, we don't want ta be spreading rumors"
The girl frowns and sits down.
Nowell continues, "The girl's right though. People have vanished, but ya din't hear that from me. People also actin' funny, the Constable, Grover, for one, and his two new friends what showed up. Again, you didn't hear that from me."
Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 5 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 07:19
Re: Adventure Intro!
"Fear not friend, I am the very soul of discretion." Laas finishes his tea and pushes back his chair. "Perhaps I'll take a look around the outskirts, see what I can see. Maybe one or two of you could go pay a visit to this constable and his new friends, find out what exactly is amiss. Anyone that wants to walk with me is welcome to. Umbra! Put that down, we're leaving."
The crow hesitantly drops a particularly gleaming silver coin the bard pulled from the girl's ear and flies to Laas's shoulder. Laas thanks the farmer once more for the tea, nods to the girls and leaves the house.

OOC: Laas is going around the perimeter of the village up to the forest edge, looking for signs of anything unusual. Tracks, disturbed brush, a trail etc.
Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 22 posts
 PHP:18 - MHP:16 - Hero:1
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 16:02
Re: Adventure Intro!
Trying to hide his annoyance at the crow's incessant interest in his tools, Dock hollers after Laas as he leaves. "If you see any of that..."—becoming self-conscious he lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper—"that bloody looking shrooms or silverbarb leaf, I'd be mighty happy with you for a pouchful of each. Be sure to get the whole root of the silverbarb, they're tenacious." He grins at the man and crow in a way he thinks is disarming.

"Now back to this cheese. These are all your cows you say? My discriminating taste indicates they're right and hale enough at least. Now have you seen anything... inhuman round about the place? You're a good man to share what you have. I don't much trust the constable myself, but perhaps for different reason. All to say, your safe with the venerable Professor Hickoryhock. Ahem."

He figures rank-dropping this far afield in a podunk sleepy town, albeit dishonestly considering his ouster, can't be too dangerous.
Grimmshade
 GM, 33 posts
 The People's DM
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 21:40
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: Laas, Head over to the "Grove of Stately Elms" thread!
Aymery Guironne
 player, 10 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 22:28
Re: Adventure Intro!
Aymery looks thoughtful. "Quoril, shall we go and speak to Constable Grover? I always like to check with the authorities when I get to a new town." Saves time, later, when they come looking for me, if I already know their faces...
Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 8 posts
Sat 22 Jun 2013
at 15:09
Re: Adventure Intro!

Quoril listens intently, soaking in the surroundings. He is fascinated by the farmers contentment. Quoril always wanted new different places, experiences...and here is a man who lives but a few years content with a life tied to...


Aymery Guironne:
Aymery looks thoughtful. "Quoril, shall we go and speak to Constable Grover? I always like to check with the authorities when I get to a new town." Saves time, later, when they come looking for me, if I already know their faces...




Excellent idea, my friend…now more than ever I think a conversation with the constable might be illuminating.
Grimmshade
 GM, 38 posts
 The People's DM
Sat 22 Jun 2013
at 21:14
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: Aymery & Quoril, head on over to the Constable's Quarters thread!
Grimmshade
 GM, 40 posts
 The People's DM
Sun 23 Jun 2013
at 13:05
Re: Adventure Intro!
Nowell shakes his head slightly. "T'werent nothin inhuman. Per'aps a strange track or two on the edge o the village. Mostly it's people acting strange sorts... Or plain disappearing."
Galileo Figaro
 player, 5 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2013
at 00:39
Re: Adventure Intro!
In reply to Grimmshade (msg # 22):

I stand from where I've been strumming my ukelele unobtrusively in the corner (dumping my tea in a potted plant while no one's looking).

"Well, in that case, I think I best go see how Aymery and Quoril are getting on. Thanks very much for the warm welcome. The professor here is right, you can trust us. Let us know if you hear or see anything else strange."

Bending down to the girls, patting one on the head, I whisper covertly, "And do watch out for that giant, many-headed monster, yeah?" then bow with a flourish and take my leave out the front door...

This message was last edited by the player at 00:41, Tue 25 June 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 45 posts
 The People's DM
Tue 25 Jun 2013
at 02:28
Re: Adventure Intro!
OOC: Galileo can move to the Constable's thread!