Streets of Orlane.   Posted by Grimmshade.Group: archive 0
Grimmshade
 GM, 65 posts
 The People's DM
Wed 3 Jul 2013
at 04:02
Re: Streets of Orlane
Hickoryhock detects no movement or noise from the small silent cottage as he passes by. (Location 9)

He ambles over and picks up the weed covered sign from the weatherbeaten structure (location 16).
The sign reads "Foaming Mug Inn." The place looks to have been deserted for a year or more.
Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 28 posts
 PHP:18 - MHP:16 - Hero:1
Wed 3 Jul 2013
at 14:03
Re: Streets of Orlane
Never one to turn down a chance to liberate castaway detritus that he could find handy, Dock absently handles the tools arrayed on his bandolier and quickly finds the least destructive way inside the old inn's shell to poke around where he doesn't belong.

Hmm. It's rather curious is it not, why a town this sleepy would require two inns, unless something other than dilapidation led to the abandonment of this one in favor of the Golden Grain. Hum hum. I can always count on things to tell me truth that flakey people, especially humans, won't.

OOC: Sorry if this is off-track. Hickoryhock's dictating his actions, not me.

If you need a roll, here's my guess:
09:05, Today: Cunningham Hickoryhock rolled 16 using 3d6+9. Old inn burgling (Dex+8, "Locksmith"+1).

This message was last edited by the player at 14:06, Wed 03 July 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 66 posts
 The People's DM
Wed 3 Jul 2013
at 19:52
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: It's not too hard to get the boards off and the door open, so Hickoryhock earns 6 ep. (You can give yourself a Minor Effect relevant to breaking and entering!). In addition, good 'ole Hickoryhock earns 50 XP for using a class feature.
Then proceed over to the "Battered and Weatherbeaten Structure" Thread!

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:22, Wed 03 July 2013.

Galileo Figaro
 player, 9 posts
Sun 7 Jul 2013
at 16:29
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Laas Yah-Nir, cont'd from Constable's Quarters:

"Huh? Oh no worries, I'm fine. And menial tasks are a great way of getting invited to poke around. Speaking of which..." I gesture toward Doc up ahead, doing a bit of poking himself and paying no notice to us at all.

I reach into my satchel to retrieve my ukulele (first pulling out a bit of silver and flicking it into the air for Umbra to catch). "The song was a bit rubbish really, but here's something else I've just thought of.

This city's aflood
All the good turned to rust
People beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust
Yet here on its face
It all looks so sane
On the streets of Orlane..."


As we walk, I take in the town around us. The weaver's looks a bit... shiny.

"I don't know about you, Laas, but it's been my experience that when evil infects a town, it likes to start at the top.  We're wise to be sussing it out from the other direction, with the farmers and the hermits and the... giant burly blokes with hammers..." I pause as we reach the smithy shop.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:59, Sun 07 July 2013.

Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 21 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2013
at 05:05
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Galileo Figaro (msg # 7):

I pause beside Galileo as we reach the smithy, squinting into the heat and soot from the forge. I wait as he dramatically finishes the instrumental on his ukelele, Umbra bobbing his head excitedly to the tune, silver piece in his beak glinting. "Shiny, dance!"
"Greetings, good smith. Have you a moment? We are adventurers from beyond the borders of your village, seeking goods...and information." I nod my head in a slight bow, whether the smith is paying attention or not.
Grimmshade
 GM, 76 posts
 The People's DM
Mon 8 Jul 2013
at 06:44
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: Laas & Galileo should proceed to the Blacksmith's thread!
Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 40 posts
 P:18/18 M:16/16 Hero:1
 XP:275
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 14:21
Re: Streets of Orlane
When Aymery and Quoril trudge out of the inn, Doc makes a momentary quizzical look about their apparent failure to recognize the urgency of the situation, but then shakes it off and proceeds.

"Ah there you are. What took you so long? We have pressing matters to discuss, in private."

Doc looks around at the streets and indicates toward the weatherbeaten old inn across town.

Huddling in close to the others, he continues in a quieter voice that won't carry far through the downy fields and sleepy town buildings, "Aye there's foulness afoot: namely ugly armed crocmen of apparent ill-intent lying in ambush in the cellar toolshed of that deceptively 'abandoned' old inn there. To boot, they're swamping up my new tool cache dammit, so we should probably do something about them right? And quick. I locked them, in but I'm afraid 'twas but a shoddy solution. You first, I'll back you up."

Doc is acting imperiously, sure, but his hesitance and self-interest in this is really actually pretty obvious.
Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 27 posts
 HP:04/04 MP:10/11 HP:01
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 15:52
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Cunningham Hickoryhock (msg # 10):

at first Quoril is shocked...

Thats is a simple spell, I haven't bungled a spell…in…well...

He is carried along listening to Doc's tale.


Well we have already been ambushed…a tincture in the wine, maybe the food…i dunno…but we are sleppy and kinda hazy at the moment….this…whole…town is trouble
Aymery Guironne
 player, 24 posts
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 00:08
Re: Streets of Orlane
Aymery shakes his head, takes three breaths both fast and deep, and says to Doc "I've gone into battle feeling worse than this. Maybe a little brisk exercise will make whatever they've drugged us with wear off faster."

"Er... you'll have to go first, though, and show us the way."
Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 28 posts
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 04:38
Re: Streets of Orlane
"Lead the way Doc, we are with you." I help to steady our drugged companions, lending a shoulder to the mage for him to lean on, "Let us see what abominations of nature lie within."
Grimmshade
 GM, 95 posts
 The People's DM
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 20:44
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: Everyone Proceed to the Battered and Weatherbeaten Structure thread!
Grimmshade
 GM, 139 posts
 The People's DM
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 07:21
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: Continued from the Battered and Weatherbeaten thread.

Laas, with Umbra flying ahead and cawing, trails the slimy footprints past:

Farmhouse & Barn (Location 18)
This farm looks moderately prosperous. The house and barn are in good repair, although several flower gardens that used to bloom in the yard have become choked with weeds. A strapping youth is splitting wood in the yard beside the house.

Farmhouse with Several Small Outbuilding (Location 19)
The smell of this area identifies it as a hog farm. In addition to swine, many chickens scratch about the yard, while a rooster and several turkeys strut regally. A teenage boy watches from the porch of the house.

and the trail leads right up to:

Temple of Hestia (Location 21)
This is the only stone structure in Orlane. A wall of granite blocks surrounds the temple, and sturdy wooden gates give access to a courtyard. The temple is on the
highest piece of land in Orlane—a full 20' above the stream and pond.

In the daylight hours, the Temple gates stand open.
Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 60 posts
 HP:23/24 Recoveries:7/8
 AC:15 PD:14 MD:12 -XP:275
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 20:35
Re: Streets of Orlane
Doc ambles behind Laas' watchful tracking. He waves amicably at the youth and boy, probably looking a bit mad (or like he'd been in a tavern brawl) with the plugs in his nose.

He makes a mental note to offer Orlane the honor and benefit of his latest arcane woodsplitter artifice. It will change their lives and make him rich.

Lost in thought, he runs into Laas' back when he stops before the temple.

The plugs makes his speech nasally. "Oop. Lookth like the Priethteth needs to change her mummerth perfume, inthenth... whatever."

Juggling three of his new volatile sage balls until he drops all of them in the grass, he stoops over to pick them up, then grunts "Anybody holy home?"
Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 53 posts
 HP:18/18 Recoveries:8/8
 AC:12 PD:11 MD:15 -XP:0
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 00:39
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Cunningham Hickoryhock (msg # 16):

Quoril sees the others at the temple. He waves to get their attention and tries to awkwardly whisper and scream at the same time.

Don't. Temple. Not. Good.
Aymery Guironne
 player, 38 posts
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 22:14
Re: Streets of Orlane
"I think Quoril is trying to tell us something..." Aymery says, taking a suspicious glance into the temple courtyard. "Maybe we should wait here for him to catch up."
Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 54 posts
 HP:18/18 Recoveries:8/8
 AC:12 PD:11 MD:15 -XP:0
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 22:39
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Aymery Guironne (msg # 18):

Quoril glides over to the others.

I didn't want you to wander in unawares. I have met with some others who have been investigating this area.



 They told me
  ( Quoril drops his tone and speaks in a overly wooden voice for effect)

:"We have been asked by an old friend to investigate these same troubles. The Golden Grain Inn, the Temple, the Constable, & the Blacksmith are certainly under this dark influence. The surrounding land suffers as well, as I am sure your Druid friend knows. Some villagers vanish forever, some vanish only to return changed. To where they go we know not yet."

He flashes a smile.



  Now we have figured half of this out already but... We need to be on guard here. Also, my new friends are informative ....but I get the feeling they are less the action types than we are...so they will keep us informed of anything they hear but I don't expect much help in the sword and spell area.
Laas Yah-Nir
 player, 44 posts
Sat 3 Aug 2013
at 03:30
Re: Streets of Orlane
"Well we're all here, good. Thanks for the warning Quoril." I stoop down, examining the trail closely as I ponder the situation. "Even if, in all likelihood, we are walking into danger this is our best lead by far at this point. I believe it warrants further investigation. Let's keep our wits about us."
I step onto the temple grounds, heading for the entrance.
Grimmshade
 GM, 141 posts
 The People's DM
Sat 3 Aug 2013
at 03:45
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: Everyone proceed to the "Temple of Hestia" thread!
Grimmshade
 GM, 188 posts
 The People's DM
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 23:44
Re: Streets of Orlane
CONTINUED FROM THE TEMPLE THREAD

Constable Grover and two other men approach Quoril, Hickoryhock, and Sheska on the village streets. Villagers stand gawking besides a couple carts of fresh produce.
The lead man in banded armor is medium height, wide at the shoulder, older, with wild hair... Constable Grover.
Behind him is a very tall man in partial plate mail, and a thinner, handsome, dangerous looking man in banded mail.

"Alright fellas, whatever you're up to in Orlane ends here. Hand over that girl, and get out of town."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:58, Wed 28 Aug 2013.

Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 77 posts
 HP:16/18 Recoveries:3/8
 AC:12 PD:11 MD:15
Wed 28 Aug 2013
at 03:40
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Grimmshade (msg # 22):

Quoril steps forward, points at the Constable and fire shoots from his fingertips.

No Constable,  What ends here is the oppression of evil that hangs on this place like a fetid stench.

Stop! I am an master of the the arcane arts...I have already owned your Will earlier this day, and one more step constable and I will reduce you to dust and scatter your ashes into the wind.

I am the master of forces both subtle and terrifying, I was old before you were born and I shall live long after your grandchildren have fed the worms.

Stand down, Now!


OOC: I hope my intimidation works. THe fire was just the cantrip, and I dunno if you will let my Arcana Progeny give gravitas to my performace (if so  +4) otherwise CHA +2 and level +1

+3 or maybe +7


23:39, Today: Quoril Silversgleaming rolled 18 using 1d20. intimidate the Constable .

This message was last edited by the player at 03:42, Wed 28 Aug 2013.

Grimmshade
 GM, 189 posts
 The People's DM
Wed 28 Aug 2013
at 03:57
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: I also gave you a +2 for a good speech, so your total is 27

The constable and his men step back from Quoril's display of power. They exchange glances, and then the Constable sneers at the party.
"You do not know whose affairs you meddle in Elf! You'll be sorry!"
He turns to the other two men, "C'mon, lets go!"
The three hurry off...

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:59, Wed 28 Aug 2013.

Cunningham Hickoryhock
 player, 84 posts
 HP:20/24 Recoveries:6/8
 AC:15 PD:14 MD:12
Thu 29 Aug 2013
at 15:01
Re: Streets of Orlane
Doc muses at the exchange, ignoring the gawkers.

"Huzzah Elf. Looks like you're developing quite the rapport of speedy dismissal with our honorable Constable Grover. What a charming relationship. I do believe he really means to tell us something or do something about us, but he unfortunately always has more pressing matters to attend to. I do enjoy his hair though. And their armor is well-wrought. I'll give them that."

Then subduing his tone among the watching eyes, he speaks to the girl.
"Sheska, since you likely can't see, you're getting gawked too. Any reason your own neighbors would find you odd on this cheery twilight? And why they'd want to reclaim custody of you? Are you more valuable than you're letting on?"


OOC: Good speech indeed!
Grimmshade
 GM, 192 posts
 The People's DM
Fri 30 Aug 2013
at 04:27
Re: Streets of Orlane
Sheska continues moving towards the Hermit's Hut.
"Well, they probably all know I was abducted against my will, what, from all the screaming I did. They probably all realize I am not supposed to be out on the streets now."
Quoril Silversgleaming
 player, 78 posts
 HP:16/18 Recoveries:3/8
 AC:12 PD:11 MD:15
Fri 30 Aug 2013
at 14:58
Re: Streets of Orlane
In reply to Grimmshade (msg # 26):

Quoril looks around making sure no one else was going to threaten them.

I have been able to keep the constable at bay through charm and parlor tricks.

He listens to Sheska and ponders.

There may be more to this than the lust of a debased cleric…but I doubt we will know the answers until we discover whatever has control over these people. Let us make haste...

OOC: Thanks Grimm and Doc, i really like how this character is developing in my head and in the story. I think he and Doc make a good team. There are tensions (mechanical magic vs Fae magic ) but they have a creative synergy that is cool.
Grimmshade
 GM, 196 posts
 The People's DM
Fri 30 Aug 2013
at 23:58
Re: Streets of Orlane
OOC: Quoril and Doc may proceed to the Grove of Stately Elms thread!