What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1.   Posted by Interloper.Group: 0
Doom
 GM, 46 posts
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 15:47
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom finds a chair and sits imperiously as if holding court.  "Yes Dr Strange, I am aware that something is afoot.  The demon realms are stirring and the world walls are perilously thin.  Doom has come not for battle, but to extend his hand in friendship and to aid you in the trials that come."

During the incredulous silence that follows Doom begins chuckling "Do not look so surprised Dr. Strange.  Even should you doubt my intentions are good, surely you realize that Doom would never bend a knee to the forces of darkness and would not abide them destroying that which he rules."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:04, Sun 21 July 2013.

Dr. Strange
 GM, 23 posts
 Earth's Sorcerer Supreme
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 17:50
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doctor Stephen Strange's face is stern, and its stone countenance does not betray the whirlwind of thought behind the Sorcerer Supreme's eyes.  Allies he needed, yes.  Allies that could do what may need to be done in the days ahead.  Allies that would not distract him with their innocence or be a liability to his heart.

And above all, one thought echoed louder than the rest.

After the silence seemed like it might reign eternal, and the tension among the patrons and wizards alike grew nearly palpable, Strange finally gave voice to it.

"What do you want for this, Victor?" he said, shielding young Illyana from the Latverian's gaze out of sheer habit.
Doom
 GM, 48 posts
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 18:11
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Dooms eyes narrow as he stares at Strange for a moment while staying seated.  Strange can almost feel the vast intellect of Doom taking his measure.  When he speaks it is with the diplomatic voice honed from years twarting the UN.

"Is it not enough for me to want to protect my people from the approaching calamity?" a moment pause "I see it is not.  Let me say this then, you aided Doom in the past and he does pay his debits.  The gates have weakened and the Sorcerer Supreme is the guardian of those gates.  Should you have the help of Doom, my debit to you is erased along with the possibility of regaining the favor of another we both know."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Sun 21 July 2013.

Magik
 GM, 42 posts
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 21:46
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Illyana surprised Stephen Strange by gently moving him aside to stand between the two men. She retained her countenance of strength, now having to hide her fragile state from two great sorcerers at once.

"Mister... Doctor Doom," she said, attempting to make her voice as loud and confident as possible, "I don't know what the two of you speak of, but my connection to the mystical plane has shown me that something is wrong. I can feel the dark magic that flows through me, as well as other forces I don't recognize, growing stronger. I may be a child to you, but I hope you two will share with me the circumstances that bring you here."

She paused to let this sink in, but not long enough for either of the men beside her to form their thoughts into speech.

"But I'm here for a reason, too. I take it from the look on Dr. Strange's face when I began my plea for help that he has been too wrapped up in whatever problem he's facing to have heard the news..." She shot a glance back at Strange, whose curious look confirmed her assumption, then looked back to Doom. "But I know something this big would not have escaped your watchful eye. You know what happened to Peter... to the X-Men, in Dallas?"

The only response from Doom was a slight bowing of his head, not quite a nod.

"You helped my friend, the X-Man Kitty Pryde, when she was in crisis recently," she said. She turned slightly, to include Strange in her entreaty. "You are the two most powerful sorcerers on this Earth. I will help you with whatever your quest may be, if in return..."

Her voice cracked almost inaudibly, and she cursed herself for it, but quickly recovered.

"If in return, you will help me find out where my brother is. I've searched Limbo, and looked everywhere that I can reach with what power I have here on Earth, to no avail. But I know he's still out there somewhere. I know he is."

She closed her eyes tight for a few seconds, opening them before speaking again.

"Will you help me, if I help you?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:22, Thu 18 July 2013.

Doom
 GM, 50 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 15:53
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom stands and moves closer to Magik.

"Ms Rasputin, Doom is aware of the loss of your brother and friends."  He glances over at Dr Strange. "And I know the pain of losing family.  When the immediate threat to this dimension has past, Doom gives his word to help you find your brother should he still live."

Once again Doom sits down and gestures to the others.  "Please sit, we have much to discuss.  What I know is this.  The walls between this dimension and others has weakened and forces antithetical to humanity have taken note.  Doom is not sure how, but key parts of the walls defending earth have fallen.  Here are some theoretical predictions based on what I found out today. "

Doom pulls out a small holo projector showing earth and some sort of field covering it.  There is a time index from several days ago along the bottom that begins sliding forward.  A few brighter nexus points have occult symbols that fade and wink out.  The field thins and a few gaps begin to show.  The time index at the bottom of the projection continues past the current date and shows more holes appearing and eventually the field collapses.

"I came to find Dr Strange since it is he who watches those walls and he who is most likely to know the cause and cure."
Nico Minoru
 GM, 66 posts
 When blood is shed...
 P: -; M: - ; E: -; 1 PP
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 18:52
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The practically frostbitten girl held her staff close to her, forcing herself forward to push open the door of the inn, hoping she'd find shelter there. Even if Strange wasn't here, she needed 5 minutes inside. Or maybe 15. And a hot Starbucks coffee would be appreciated as well.

Of course, things were never that easy. Dr. Strange was there - that was good. But so was Doom. Her mind raced to find an appropriate spell - the cold brought only one thing to mind for the girl who'd been raised in California and Florida her whole life. "Frosty the Snowman!" Perhaps not her shining moment, but Nico felt like she was about to pass out from the cold and she wasn't letting Doom be the one to take her or Dr. Strange down.

Any who looked to hear the strange English phrase in the middle of a Tibet mountain pass would see a goth dressed girl, who couldn't have been over 18, wielding what was easily recongized to the likes of Strange (and likely Doom) as the Staff of One - an artifact of dark magic that was said to make Dormammu himself shake in fear. Last as was known, it was held by a group of wizards named the Minorus and had been for hundreds of years. But just as soon as the weapon could be recognized, a blast of snow followed from the doorway past Nico and to doom, surrounding him as the spell attempted to bind him into a Snowman.

Sorry for the PVP, but I don't think Nico would take a chance with Doom. Creating a "Surrounded in Snow complication"

Solo d6 + Mountain Pass in Winter d8 + Sorcery d8 (Witchbreaker) + Sorcery Supremacy d10 + Any Spell Once d6 + Frosty Stunt d8
14:51, Today: Nico Minoru rolled 3,2,7,1,3,2 using d6,d6,d8,d8,d8,d10. vs Doom.

What an awful roll!
Total = 10 + d12 (d10 is stepped up by any spell once)
Required Reaction: Doom


quote:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       1 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, No Complications, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom Pool:  4d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:52, Sat 20 July 2013.

Doom
 GM, 51 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 19:33
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom's sensors tracked the cold young girl as she opened the door and he turned to see, The Staff of One!  Doom erects a hasty defense as he is assaulted by sorcerous power.

Team d6 + Failure is for Lesser Beings d8 + Cybernetic Senses d6 + Master Sorcery d10 + Mystic Master d10
Doom rolled 5,2,5,2,5 using d6,d8,d6,d10,d10 with rolls of 5,2,5,2,5.
Spending his PP to add an extra die to the total so he isn't taken out by a child ;)  Bad dice right back at you.
Total: 15


Doom reaches to the heart of the power of this ancient land where he took the name Dr Doom and, not wanting to harm the child, casts the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak on Nico.


Team d6 + Doom's Genius Knows No Equals d4 + Master Sorcery d10 + SFX: Practiced Ritualist d6 + Mystic Master d10 + Mystic Land Under a New Shadow +d8
Doom rolled 4,4,10,2,8,2 using d6,d4,d10,d6,d10,d8. Crimson Bands of Cyttorak on Nico.
Gain +1 PP for using the genius of doom as a d4 (overconfidence)
Total: 10 (d10) + 8 (d10) = 18
Effect: d8 (2) stepped up to a d10 by Practiced Ritualist


quote:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       1 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, No Complications, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom Pool:  4d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow

Nico Minoru
 GM, 68 posts
 When blood is shed...
 P: -; M: - ; E: -; 1 PP
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 20:02
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico watched Doom easily break out of her spell and just as she was about to shout another, "C-" but was completely cut off as the mystical bindings wrapped around her, bind her arms, legs, and staff until she couldn't move. She glared at Doom, but right now, she just had to hope that the Sorcerer Supreme in this year was as powerful as her world.

(Wow, completely forgot Nico's Mystic Expert in my attack. DUH. O well, too late now.)

Solo d6 + Daughter of Dark Wizards d8 + Mystic Expert d8

15:55, Sat 20 July 2013: Nico Minoru rolled 4,6,5 using d6,d8,d8 ((4,6,5)).

Total = 11 + d6 (Doom's die is stepped up)
Nico has  D12 complication


quote:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       1 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, No Complications, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom Pool:  4d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow
Watcher (Conan)
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 00:00
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The few local men in the inn's common room were not simple folk. Though they lived in a bleak and empty place, no one survives in this high and isolated land without a good deal of cunning. The innkeeper was an old man, which meant he was more cunning than most. Though nothing in his experience gave him the context to truly understand what was happening, he had known when the man and the girl walked in that there would be trouble. The lands near Kamar-Taj had such a stong connection to the sorcerous arts that the innkeeper had seen more than his share of mystics.

But when the armored man entered, even these isolated men of the Himalayas knew him by sight, the lord of a distant land who terrified even the arrogant men of the west. Most of the locals left quickly, only a couple remaining out of boredom or self-destructive curiosity. And the old innkeeper was reminded of another man he had once encountered, many years before, a scarred man seeking an infamous monastery much darker and more frightening than the nearby lamasery these others no doubt sought, a man who spoke in the same voice as this armored horror...

None of the westerners present spoke the innkeeper's native language, and even if they had, the short phrase he dashed off to his serving boy when the magicians began to fight among themselves would have little meaning. But the steel in the innkeeper's eyes, even more than the spectacular conflict in the common room, sent the serving boy running. For the phrase was, in fact, code for something else, another phrase which is universal, in one form or another, in every human tongue. It's closest approximation in English would be: "Get the bouncer. NOW."

(Just a bit of flavor, but depending on how things go, I think this could lead to something interesting... )

By the way, I think the Doom Pool should buy the 1 from Nico's initial attack. Nico, enjoy a Plot Point, and the Doom Pool will add a d6. Oh, and Nico, I added your complication to the status block. EDIT: I also modified it since Doom spent his 1 PP.

Doom, who is up next? Or is this scene still open enough for it to just be whoever signs on next?


quote:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       0 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       2 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, d12 Crimson Bands Complication, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom Pool:  5d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:00, Tue 23 July 2013.

Doom
 GM, 52 posts
Sun 21 Jul 2013
at 01:50
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Conan the Accuser:
Doom, who is up next? Or is this scene still open enough for it to just be whoever signs on next?

I felt it was open enough for whoever signs in next.

Watcher (Conan)
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 00:00
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Got it. I figured, just confirming.

By the way, I posted a really basic map of a small primitive inn under Game Map if anyone wants something to visualize. Obviously, that architecture is totally optional.
Status Block:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       0 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       2 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, d12 Crimson Bands Complication, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
* = Not yet present in scene
Doom Pool:  5d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow
UP NEXT: Any Available Hero in the Scene (Magik, Doctor Strange, or Bride of Nine Spiders (based on her spiders being present in the inn))

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:00, Tue 23 July 2013.

Magik
 GM, 44 posts
Mon 22 Jul 2013
at 05:25
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Magik was furious. She had finally enlisted the assistance she had been seeking for weeks following her brother's death, and in comes some meddler (a teenage magic-user like herself nonetheless) to menace her newfound allies.

The girl already restrained, Magik figured it would be simple to frighten her out of the fight. She walked with purpose across the room toward the black-clad sorceress, manifesting her soulsword as she moved.

Brow furrowed, she held the glowing blade to the girl's throat, trusting that she would not be familiar enough with it to know that it would not harm the flesh of a mortal human.

"You have seconds to tell me why you're attacking my..." She cast a glance back at Doom, deciding how exactly one would describe their current partnership. "... colleague. Speak fast."

Magik is attempting to frighten Nico enough to cause her to give up, so this attack will aim to cause emotional stress. Team D10 (since Doom and Strange are assumedly backing her up), The Ends Justify the Means D8, Weapon D8, Menace Expert D8, Nico's Complication D12.

(NOTE: There are 2 extra rolls recorded on the roll queue for Magik, because I accidentally wrote D10+3D8, which did not show individual dice rolls. I also forgot Nico's complication in my roll and had to roll it separately. My apologies.)

Today: Magik rolled 3,7,7,3,12 using D10,D8,D8,D8, D12. Outcome: Total 19, Effect D10. Thank goodness for the complication, because that was a pretty bad roll until I threw that in.

Required Reaction: Nico

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:58, Mon 22 July 2013.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 72 posts
 When blood is shed...
 P: -; M: - ; E: -; 1 PP
Mon 22 Jul 2013
at 15:59
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
I configured the dice roller. It will auto-record all dice now.

The worst was already in her head. The staff worked on making her think the most horrible things possible. It took a lot more than a demonic-mutant with a glowing sword to scare of Nico. Even with the soulsword inches away from her, she knew it would be nothing compared to the last time she time traveled.

With an intense glare, she glared back at the blond teen with just as much disdain as she was getting. However, she still answered her question, "I'll give you three guesses. Two of them don't count. Who's the most wanted terrorist in the world wearing a metal mask and standing not 10 feet away?"

Spending a PP and creating a stunt of Witchbroken
Solo d6 + Runaway Teen d8 (she's seen some things) + Psych Expert d8 + Witchbroken d8

11:49, Today: Nico Minoru rolled 6,7,8,2 using d6,d8,d8,d8 with rolls of 6,7,8,2. Reaction to Magik.

Spending a second PP for 3 total
Total = 21 + d8


quote:
Bride:       1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Conan:*      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:        0 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:     1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper:* 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:        0 PP, d6 PS, -- MS, d6 ES, d12 Crimson Bands Complication, No Assets
Strange:     1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme:*  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
* = Not yet present in scene
Doom Pool:  5d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow

Up Next: Anyone, though Dr. Strange makes the most sense to me of who's left

Dr. Strange
 GM, 30 posts
 Earth's Sorcerer Supreme
Mon 22 Jul 2013
at 22:23
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
A burst of roiling violet light accompanied by a guttural, primal bellow of anger upturning glasses, tables, and the general peace of the once-quiet inn exploded from Doctor Stephen Strange; the energy that flooded the room and caused everyone instinctively to shield their eyes was thick with unholy anger, as if the very emotion was being fed by a deeply impure source.  The sensation lasted a mere nanosecond or two, however; those who have felt the magical resonance of Dr. Strange recognized the change as being minute, but definitely unprecedented...

When their heads cleared, the new arrivals saw Strange just regaining his composure in a perfect circle of overturned tables and shattered glasses.  Nico is free of the Bands of Cyttorak, and Stephen faced her first with a warning finger upraised as if to silence her pre-emptively.

"Stop.  I will not have Those Beyond fed from conflict where none should be.  Whatever need brought you here, I am certain Doom is not the cause.  In fact, it is more than likely..."  Strange nearly collapsed under the weight of guilt, his formerly imposing immortal mien reduced to that of a beaten middle-aged man.  He turned to Doom, his eyes nearly apologetic, "...that I am.  The boundaries of this world are indeed thin, and thinning further, because...I destroyed the anchors which held them.  In saving this world, I may very well have damned it."

Strange proceeded to list the magic artifacts he sacrificed to save them from Urthona, mostly for the benefit of the scholar Doom.  He recites each one as if it were a buried sin being confessed at long last.  When he finished, he took the time of silence to right a barstool that still may function, and sat heavily upon it.

"Now.  I recognize that each of you are here for help or assistance, in some way.  If my time or, indeed, my life were my own, I would move heaven and earth for each of you, if the cause were just.  But I am afraid you come seeking help from one who has none to give...in fact," and here, each felt somehow that Stephen was addressing them directly, "it is I who requires aid of you.  The Universe itself may well depend upon it."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:25, Mon 22 July 2013.

Watcher (Conan)
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 00:00
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The innkeeper's boy ran up the stone stairs to the tiny inn's second level and ran into a corner room. When the innkeeper said "the bouncer," he was referring to the big drunk who lived upstairs. This hirsute giant of a man had bargained free room, board, and liquor in exchange for intervening in times of trouble. In a hard place where men had to be even harder, disagreements were fierce and tempers ran hot, and for serving such a small population, the inn had far more than its share of violence. But the bouncer was the hardest man of all. Clearly insane-- his mind likely addled by a life of drink, the innkeeper surmised-- this lumbering, thickly-bearded hulk was a constant deterrent, and often the mere sight of his blazing eyes and wild mane of hair was enough to defuse a fight.

Unfortunately, whatever fire raged within the man's heart or mind, quenching it seemed to require constant drink. The muscular lummox seemed to drink himself to sleep every night, and slept until the next evening.

Having done this many times before, the boy braced himself for what was about to occur. He reached out to shake the hairy man's shoulder, and a mammoth hand shot out and encased his slender wrist entirely. The mad eyes opened with a start, and the boy-- who counted himself as, somehow, the bouncer's only friend-- had no doubt any of this place's other residents, even the innkeeper, would have been injured at this moment. The boy did not cry out, or even whisper, but only gestured helplessly in the direction of the common room below. The ruffian opened his mouth to protest that he was not ready to wake, but then he saw the boy’s face.

The boy's expression was one of terror, and the bouncer realized this fear was not directed towards him. He had never seen this precocious and normally unflappable orphan so affrighted. The boy having nursed the bouncer through many long mornings after drunken debauchery, the unruly giant trusted the child, and cared for his safety. He was up in a flash, rubbing his eyes and gesturing for the boy to remain in the room. Whoever these interlopers were, if they brought trouble to this place, they truly had no idea what they were in for...

Noiselessly, the barefoot, half-naked behemoth began to stalk down the limestone staircase.

Suddenly, there was flash of light, and a thunderous howl that shook even the stone walls of this sturdy and well-built inn, swiftly accompanied by the noise of shattering ceramics and rolling furniture. This was far from the usual local trouble. If the bouncer has not been awake before, he was now, and sober, as he stealthily placed himself beside the archway leading to the common room and heard a voice speaking in English.

As the boy ran to close the door to the room in which he hid, he saw something big, strange, and ugly clenched in the bouncer's right hand.

EDIT: Just updating my minor bit of complication, which will develop or not depending on how the rest of the scene goes. Also, I am assuming that we just ended an action scene and began a transition, which should step back all stress by -1 and remove all complications. So:
Status Block:
Bride:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Conan:      1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Doom:       0 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Interloper: 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico:       0 PP, d4 PS, -- MS, d4 ES, No Complications, No Assets
Strange:    1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
*Old Jigme:  1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
* = Not yet present in scene
Doom Pool:  5d6
Scene Distinctions:  Mountain Pass In Winter, A Warm Gathering Place, Mystic Land Under a New Shadow
UP NEXT: Transition Scene; anyone may post at any time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:08, Tue 23 July 2013.

Doom
 GM, 54 posts
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 02:58
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom was a bit surprised by the outburst then a low chuckle emerges from under his mask.  "What has happened to you Doctor Strange?  Once this child is out of the cold we shall all sit and talk like civilized people."

Doom crossed the room to Niko. "Whatever you think of me, in this case and at this time, Doom is on the worlds side.  Come in out of the cold and warm yourself.  We will all tell of what brought us here from where and when and the good Doctor can help shed some light on what we can do to keep our dimension from being over run.  Here take these."

Doom produced a few packets from his cloak that he crushed before handing them to Nico... they seem to be warming up like little hot water bottles.

OOC: if you want Doom can roll vs the doom pool to create a "warmth" asset for Nico.
Conan the Accuser
 GM, 85 posts
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 04:23
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom:
OOC: if you want Doom can roll vs the doom pool to create a "warmth" asset for Nico.
OOC: I don't think that is necessary, it is just a nice role-playing moment. But if Nico went to make some kind of stress recovery roll, I think at that point you could roll to give her an asset or something.
Nico Minoru
 GM, 74 posts
 When blood is shed...
 P: -; M: - ; E: -; 1 PP
Tue 23 Jul 2013
at 06:17
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico might have held her composure against someone like Magik, but Dr. Strange felt different. The entire atmosphere of the room shifted like the visions her staff showed her when she cast a spell, but on a whole other level. And yet, just as quickly it faded. And right after, she had Dr. Doom handing her heating packs. "So Strange is acting like a demon and Doom is acting like a granny. Am I back in time or in the wrong universe?" she said, even as she rested her hands on the packets, and now unbound, closed the door behind her. She tried to ignore any stares from the people around, but while the inn wasn't that populated, the group had quickly gained the eyes of everyone in the room. "So we all got problems, great. If Doctor Strange is the man of the hour, let's hear him first." she said, her sarcastic quip losing it's edge thanks to her own shivering teeth.
Bride of Nine Spiders
 GM, 30 posts
Wed 24 Jul 2013
at 19:48
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The spiders watched, and listened, and heard Strange announce the nature of his conflict. The Sorcerer Supreme, it seemed, was acting as best he could to fulfill his obligation, but darkness in his path had made this difficult. Well, the Bride of Nine Spiders could understand that...

For now, she would not approach him. She would watch things unfold for a time, from a distance. She would focus her energies on other activities in this world, protecting her city directly from the insidious forces that had arisen. But she would always keep one figurative eye on Doctor Strange. And if this greatest of sorcerers fell to corruption, well, then she would get involved, and put an end to the troubled mage's conflict one way or the other.

As the spiders brooded, watching from the shadows they haunted, the front door to the inn flew open again.

Three local men, primitive weapons in hand, had come to see what the otherworldly lights and noises emanating from this inn portended and intervene if necessary. But the innkeeper, seeing that the situation had calmed down, held up a hand, not wanting the conflict between these sorcerers escalate again. Hopefully, within moments, these frightening outsiders would depart, and leave him to clean up the mess they'd left with his skin intact.

The Sorcerer Supreme recognized one of the men at once. The aged mountaineer who had been his guide, all those years ago. Doctor Strange felt the cold hand of destiny upon his shoulder, once more, as he looked upon the face of Old Jigme.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:01, Wed 24 July 2013.

Dr. Strange
 GM, 33 posts
 Earth's Sorcerer Supreme
Wed 24 Jul 2013
at 20:23
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
A smile rolled across the lips of Doctor Stephen Strange, for the first time in a long while.  He answered Nico's question, but his eyes remained on that of his old friend as he intoned, "Not here.  I have already mentioned the destruction of several important artifacts, and this is not the place to speak openly about such things for too long.

"Thankfully, there is appropriate shelter enough nearby, and I know just the man who can take us there..."


((Unless anyone else has an idea [and please throw one in if you think I'm rushing!], I figure we can fade out from here to the lamasery..?))
Doom
 GM, 58 posts
Wed 24 Jul 2013
at 20:59
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Doom will retrieve some winter gear and supplies from his VTOL and is ready to go.  His suit will sustain him but not everyone is ready for such a trip and Doom is always prepared.
Magik
 GM, 49 posts
Wed 24 Jul 2013
at 21:11
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
As everyone silently went about preparing for on-foot travel, and waited for Doom to return with supplies and warmer clothes, the two teenage sorceresses glared at each other from across the room. The "grown-ups" may have succeeded in defusing the situation for now, but neither Nico Minoru nor Illyana Rasputin were the type to back down from a challenge to their dominance, and both were eager to see what the other's power held.
Nico Minoru
 GM, 81 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Wed 24 Jul 2013
at 21:25
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The feelings and animosity were certainly returned, but then again, there were also far bigger fish to fry. Her brain puzzled to form a spell, as she gripped the staff with her once again free hands. "Insulation!" she said, as he staff cackled and formed around her an enchanted snow suit to keep her warm. She just hoped they would be leaving the Himalayas before she needed to create a similar effect.

Creating a Mystical Snow Suit. I decided to make it an asset so I can use it in later rolls if needed.
Team d10 + Escalating Blizzard d4+PP + Sorcery Supremacy d12 + Mystic Expert d8
17:22, Wed 24 July 2013: Nico Minoru rolled 1,3,2,6 using d4,d8,d10,d12 ((1,3,2,6)).
Total = 9+d10

vs Doom 5d6
17:23, Wed 24 July 2013: Nico Minoru, for the NPC Doom Pool, rolled 18 using 5d6 ((5,4,1,3,5)).
Total = 10 + d6

So much for that. Still got a PP out of it at least. Nico has a Snowsuit, but it offers no additional dice as protection.

Conan the Accuser
 GM, 94 posts
Sat 27 Jul 2013
at 02:37
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
The sorcerers departed, leaving the inn in a shambles. One of them gave the innkeeper a generous remuneration, but it was clear worldly wealth meant little to these practitioners of the dark arts. After warming themselves for only a few moments, they had hired one of the local men-- Old Jigme, a grizzled mountain-goat who knew the snow-swept desolation of these lands better than anyone-- to guide them, then trudged back out into what was becoming a blizzard.

"They seek the old sanctum of the Ancient One," said one of the regulars who had stopped in to check on the innkeeper, as he helped right an overturned table, just after the strangers had left. "But he has been dead for years, they say. No good can come from such a quest."

"Better than the other place," his companion said, with a shudder, thinking of the wicked monks whose dwelling place was also within a few days' travel. The innkeeper said nothing, but he was even more sure than before that the sorcerer in the metal mask was the one he had met years before, whose destination had been that nameless compound where an evil brotherhood practiced their debased form of Tibetan Buddhism.

A chill breeze blew through the common room, though the front door was closed. Puzzled, the innkeeper walked over to check the side door. Sure enough, it had blown open, having somehow been unlatched.

The innkeeper went to pull the door closed, looking out into the piling snow to see what might have caused it to open in the first place. He saw footprints leading out into the snow. It took him a moment to pick out the shape of a man, clad in heavy furs the innkeeper's wife had sewn together months before, sneaking along the edge of the mountain path. The bouncer, it seemed, had decided to track these interlopers on their way, though to what purpose the innkeeper could not imagine.

The innkeeper closed the door, shaking his head. The brooding giant had come into their lives so strangely, and the innkeeper wondered if they would ever see him again.

Meanwhile, trailing stealthily after the sorcerers and Jigme, the bouncer shook his head to try and clear it. Until only a few minutes before, the strange voice in his mind had repeated the same phrase over at regular intervals for months, disrupting the massive man's mental fugue with an impenetrable warning: Danger! Wielder-mind interface connection protocpls failed! Temporal beacon not found! Network connection or subspace transmission media required for reboot. Only strong drink, he'd found, could quiet this unwelcome presence in his mind.

But today, in the presence of the sorcerers, the voice had changed its message: Chronal energies detected. Network enabled system detected. Bypass system security within connection range to reboot and re-initiate wielder contact protocols.

The words, though in a semblance of the bearded madman's native tongue, were gibberish. But he also sensed, somehow, the desires of the green-bladed sword he could not rid himself of. It wanted him to follow the sorcerer in the steel mask. And for once, the accursed blade's wants were in concert with his own...

...And so, unto this time between the smiting of Urthona and the rise of the host of Shuma-Gorath, hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-bearded, time-stranded, Kree weapon in hand, a drunk, a half-lunatic, a castaway, lost amid the tempests of time and the tempest in his mind, to tread the ensorcelled stones of Kamar-Taj under his fur-booted feet...

As Doctor Strange and his allies approached the lamasery, the hulking barbarian, like a mountain panther tracking its prey, stalked them unseen.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:50, Sat 27 July 2013.

Conan the Accuser
 GM, 96 posts
Sat 27 Jul 2013
at 03:24
Re: What If?: Strange Tales, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico Minoru:
17:22, Wed 24 July 2013: Nico Minoru rolled 1,3,2,6 using d4,d8,d10,d12 ((1,3,2,6)).
Total = 9+d10

vs Doom 5d6
17:23, Wed 24 July 2013: Nico Minoru, for the NPC Doom Pool, rolled 18 using 5d6 ((5,4,1,3,5)).
Total = 10 + d6

So much for that. Still got a PP out of it at least.
Nico, I believe the Doom Pool would also like to buy that "1" you rolled, so please enjoy a second delicious PP and I will add d6 doom. That means the Doom Pool is now 6d6. Now that we have as many doom dice as there are player heroes, I think the Doom Pool should start stepping dice up instead of adding new ones. On the other hand, since there are six co-GM's, anyone else who likes can step up and make Doom Pool decisions at any time!

In addition, the Doom Pool also rolled an opportunity, in case anyone wants to buy a stunt. Nico gets first pass, obviously.

I believe that Conan will also seek to create an asset, in this case "Snowbound Stealth" to represent his remaining hidden while stalking the other heroes. Let's see how that goes.

First off, to represent the addled mental state created by Conan's mind failing to sync up with the intelligence in his sword, I am going to use his Limit: "What Foul Devilry Is This?" to earn 1 PP by giving Conan d6 Mental Stress.

The Roll: Solo d10 + A Panther's Instinctive Grace d8 + Enhanced Reflexes d8 + A Thief, A Reaver, A Slayer SFX d8 + Covert Expert d8 = d10+4d8
20:10, Fri 26 July 2013: Conan the Accuser rolled 3,19 using d10,4d8 ((3,5,7,2,5)).
7+5 = 12 / d10 Effect

vs. Doom Pool 6d6 + additional d6 for Conan's mental stress.
Conan the Accuser, for the NPC Doom Pool, rolled 27 using 7d6 with rolls of 6,2,6,5,1,1,6. vs. Conan's asset creation.
6+6 = 12 / d6 Effect

Success! Conan, no stranger to snow, ice, and extreme terrain, is expertly tracking the sorcerers, and has a d10 Snowbound Stealth asset.

In addition, the Doom Pool now has THREE stunts up for grabs, with Nico getting first right of refusal on one of them, and the other two available to anyone (as Conan will pass).

EDIT: I think I will earn 1 additional PP by using that limit again to step up Conan's mental stress to d8 (since I am portraying Conan as really crazed at this point, d6 doesn't seem like enough) before the next scene starts.

This should cap off this scene and move us to the next. Anybody want a stunt?
Status Block:
Conan*      3 PP, -- PS, d8 MS, -- ES, No Complications, d10 Snowbound Stealth Asset
Doom        0 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Illyana     1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Interloper* 1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        2 PP, d4 PS, -- MS, d4 ES, No Complications, No Assets
Strange     1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Old Jigme   1 PP, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets
* = Not yet present in scene
Doom Pool:  6d6
Scene Distinctions: Newly Invaded Sanctum, Shadow Of Chaos, Escalating Himalayan Blizzard 

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:29, Sat 27 July 2013.